NVidia 1070 thoughts

Hi everyone, I just got an NVidia 1070 and I wanted to post some
thoughts on this card.
First of all, this is one hell of a card, and quiet too.
Basically the fans do not spin in normal desktop mode due to low power
consumption and I get the feeling that it is roughtly twice as fast as
my old nvidia 970 from which I have been moving up.

The Witcher 3 runs in 60 fps smoothly with all settings to max in 1080p
and still keeps up roughly 30 fps in all settings to max in 4k.
(I am running the card with a core i5 3570 which later this year will be
replaced with an AMD Ryzen)
HEVC encoding is somewhere between 190fps and 280fps depending on the
settings for a full hd video card. And to the best the power consumption
is less than with my old nvidia 970 card.

The 10xx series is a milestone, nice job NVidia and definitely something
ATI has to choke on for a while.
0
Werner
12/24/2016 8:17:32 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action 14509 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 21:17:32 +0100, Werner Punz <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Hi everyone, I just got an NVidia 1070 and I wanted to post some
>thoughts on this card.
>First of all, this is one hell of a card, and quiet too.
>Basically the fans do not spin in normal desktop mode due to low power
>consumption and I get the feeling that it is roughtly twice as fast as
>my old nvidia 970 from which I have been moving up.
>
>The Witcher 3 runs in 60 fps smoothly with all settings to max in 1080p
>and still keeps up roughly 30 fps in all settings to max in 4k.
>(I am running the card with a core i5 3570 which later this year will be
>replaced with an AMD Ryzen)
>HEVC encoding is somewhere between 190fps and 280fps depending on the
>settings for a full hd video card. And to the best the power consumption
>is less than with my old nvidia 970 card.
>
>The 10xx series is a milestone, nice job NVidia and definitely something
>ATI has to choke on for a while.

*--

Which version did you get?  My 970GTX eVGA does everything I need it
to do.  But I just cancelled my XBox One S from Amazon (got sick of
waiting a month for it) so maybe I should upgrade my PC with this
card.

-pw
0
PW
12/24/2016 8:30:25 PM
Am 24.12.16 um 21:30 schrieb PW:
> Which version did you get?  My 970GTX eVGA does everything I need it
> to do.  But I just cancelled my XBox One S from Amazon (got sick of
> waiting a month for it) so maybe I should upgrade my PC with this
> card.
I got the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G. Not the cheapest card there
is, but I think it is worth it.

0
Werner
12/24/2016 9:01:09 PM
On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 22:01:09 +0100, Werner Punz <werpu@gmx.at> wrote:

>Am 24.12.16 um 21:30 schrieb PW:
>> Which version did you get?  My 970GTX eVGA does everything I need it
>> to do.  But I just cancelled my XBox One S from Amazon (got sick of
>> waiting a month for it) so maybe I should upgrade my PC with this
>> card.
>I got the MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G. Not the cheapest card there
>is, but I think it is worth it.

I snagged an EVGA SC 1080, and boy, it is the best card I've ever put
in a machine. The thermals are better than other cards I've owned by
about 10 degrees. And, of course, it's bleeding edge so it can handle
anything I can throw at it. Tomb Raider, with HairFX, at 60 fps is
beautiful (I'm going through it as a completionist. It's more fun than
the main storyline.)

--
Zag

Sent from my slow-ass Toshiba Laptop