pc games complains about the state of PC gaming, however...

It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble.

The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current
gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the
coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with
better graphics on the PC and with better control.

The Wii has a market with kids/grannys and such (and deserves it, I
suppose  with the gimmicky controller that most folks already seem to
be losing interest in, so they will need some stellar titles to
maintain momentum)..

The PS3 has failed, plain and simple.  Defeat conceded here:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/06/19/japan.sony.ap/index.html
0
none6 (457)
6/20/2007 1:58:39 AM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action 14509 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"Reap The Wild Wind" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble.
>
> The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current
> gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the
> coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with
> better graphics on the PC and with better control.

You're leaving out just about every single sports game.  The only action
sports games for the PC are Madden, NBA and NHL (well, soccer, too, but I
don't count that).  PC doesn't even have a baseball game anymore, except for
text sims.  Plus, the XBox 360 still has titles like Gears of War, Dead
Rising and the coming Halo 3 that will give it legs for another year or two
at least.  And it will get the next GTA first.  Plus, even when a game like
say, Ghost Recon:AW, is released on both the 360 and the PC, the sales for
the 360 blow it away.

> The Wii has a market with kids/grannys and such (and deserves it, I
> suppose  with the gimmicky controller that most folks already seem to
> be losing interest in, so they will need some stellar titles to
> maintain momentum)..

The Wii has found a whole new audience to exploit.  Good for them.  Not my
bag, but the more people brought into gaming the better.  In fact, the Wii
has been a sensation far beyond projections, so your original point is
incorrect.

> The PS3 has failed, plain and simple.  Defeat conceded here:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/06/19/japan.sony.ap/index.html

Sony isn't dead yet.  They still sell tons of PS2s, and a price drop for the
PS3 is coming.  Not sure it will help, since Sony overestimated their
audience's will to buy $700 video game consoles, but this is not a situation
like Atari or Sega experienced years ago.  I think Sony will be in it for
the long haul even if the PS3 continues to bomb.

And I say all this as primarily a PC gamer (but I do love my 360, too!).

turk
--
"There are jobs Americans aren't doing. ... If you've got a chicken factory,
a chicken-plucking factory, or whatever you call them, you know what I'm
talking about." --George W. Bush. Tipp City, Ohio, April 19, 2007

0
turk96 (251)
6/20/2007 2:52:46 AM
Reap The Wild Wind wrote:

<snip>

Unfair console competition is only part of the problem with the PC
Game decline
And yes its "unfair" cause I do believe in competition and for me only
with competition you can improve so PC Games will always need
competition but fair one, FAIR PLAY which doesn't exist now why? cause
the company that partially controls PC Games, Microsoft is also the
maker of a competing console system and its giving that console system
preference and POISONINGS the PC
But again this is only part of the problem... the other problems that
are as big are PIRACY, AGGRESSIVE COPY-PROTECTION (which btw also
involves Microsoft) and the Used 2nd hand market.

0
pcgamer23708 (1692)
6/20/2007 7:29:00 AM
Reap The Wild Wind wrote:
> It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble.
>
> The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current
> gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the
> coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with
> better graphics on the PC and with better control.
>
> The Wii has a market with kids/grannys and such (and deserves it, I
> suppose  with the gimmicky controller that most folks already seem to
> be losing interest in, so they will need some stellar titles to
> maintain momentum)..
>
> The PS3 has failed, plain and simple.  Defeat conceded here:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/06/19/japan.sony.ap/index.html

Rubbish.

Quality of gaming isn't important - consoles bring in far more money
than PC gaming can ever do (with several exceptions, eg. WoW). Consoles,
and hence console titles, will never be in trouble. Doesn't mean I
prefer gaming on them, but they're still considered the standard gaming
platform by mainstream.
0
fg (934)
6/20/2007 7:50:08 AM
"Reap The Wild Wind" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble.

Really? So you haven't looked at any game industry finances lately?

> The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current
> gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the
> coffin,

Obv.

Microsoft stopped retail shipments of the Xbox the moment they started
shipping the 360, so you could say that its death is not only inevitable,
but mandated.

> not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with
> better graphics on the PC and with better control.

Absurd. Where's Gears of War for PC? That game was produced by Epic, which
for years was a PC games publisher feeding us Unreal Tournament titles. And
don't get me wrong, those games are great arena FPSs. But then when they
actually make a compelling, cinematic single-player experience, it goes
straight to the consoles. We don't have Viva Pinata or Dead Rising. We have
unplayably crappy ports of Resident Evil 4 and Splinter Cell Double Agent.
Sure, we have some games that make a better showing on PC than the Xbox. I'm
not saying that the PC is a strictly inferior gaming platform, but it's
clear that the industry as a whole prioritizes console development and more
often than not a PC release is just an afterthought. We don't have to
discuss this -- just ask any game developer why they're in the console
business when it's so much more of a pain in the ass to get games published
on a license compared to an unregulated PC market. What's more, even with
the decent ports, not all games actually have better graphics or control.
Many times we get ports that don't allow adjusting graphical settings, or
games that use a mouse/keyboard front-end to simulate gamepad controls. The
Prince of Persia series for example with its self-rotating camera that
fights against the user's mouse input. And my favorite pet peeve, games that
make PC users use on-screen keyboards because the developers couldn't make
the effort to accept actual keyboard input.

So when you say what you said above, I'm assuming it's because you really
have no idea what it's like to play games primarily on PC.

> The Wii has a market with kids/grannys and such (and deserves it, I
> suppose  with the gimmicky controller that most folks already seem to
> be losing interest in, so they will need some stellar titles to
> maintain momentum)..

This seems to be the rallying cry of confused next-gen kiddies the world
over. At first, it was "nobody will buy into that gimmicky controller", and
now it's "they'll lose interest in that gimmicky controller", apparently not
realizing that Sony went out of its way to make sure they got the same
gimmicky function, and Microsoft probably isn't far behind.

> The PS3 has failed, plain and simple.  Defeat conceded here:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/06/19/japan.sony.ap/index.html

Don't be such a fanboy. First of all, nothing in that article supports your
summary. Secondly, the PS3 is still trouncing the 360 in Japan, and is doing
reasonably well outside the North America region. You see a pattern here?
You're kidding yourself about the PS3 the same way you kidded yourself about
the Wii by listening to only the things you want to hear. Sony has yet to
release their biggest titles, which include the next incarnations of MGS,
Gran Turismo, and Final Fantasy. And at any rate, if the PS3 does concede
defeat, it'll be surrendering its market share to other consoles, not the
PC.

0
nomail38 (152)

www.blackcatcrossing.net
"Reap The Wild Wind" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble.
>
> The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current
> gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the
> coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with
> better graphics on the PC and with better control.

The problem is, they'er designed for the consoles first, which eliminates
vast parts of what the PC does best. I have very little interest in games
that are basically console ports. And since MS is forcing developers this
direction with their whole XNA platform bullshit, the writing is on the
wall.

> The Wii has a market with kids/grannys and such (and deserves it, I
> suppose  with the gimmicky controller that most folks already seem to
> be losing interest in, so they will need some stellar titles to
> maintain momentum)..
>
> The PS3 has failed, plain and simple.  Defeat conceded here:

Way premature to say that.

0
Roger

FA: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) / 8 IBM PC Game Games
> Item name: SIX Western Digital 6.4gb Hard Drives > Price: $46.00 > Buy It Now: $46.00 > Bids: -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3482211928 > Item name: 8 IBM PC Game Games - (Pirates , Paperboy) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107002333 > Item name: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: ...

PC Gaming Almost Dead -AGAIN- So................ PC Industry Consortium to announce 'PC Gaming Alliance' to save PC gaming
Takahashi: Gaming Alliance stumps for PC By Dean Takahashi Mercury News 02/12/2008 The personal computer game industry has trailed behind its console brethren in recent years as easy-to-play games on the Nintendo Wii or online games on the Xbox 360 have stolen the excitement. Companies with a vested interest in keeping the PC alive as a gaming platform will soon announce a consortium dubbed the PC Gaming Alliance. According to two people familiar with the effort, it will include top industry players such as Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices as well as a number of computer ...

Good PC Game Developer and/or PC Game Programmer Newsletters?
I have been searching for a few good PC Game Developer and PC Game Programmer newsletters for some time now. I started by looking at what yahoo groups had to offer, but it was really difficult for me to really tell which ones were active. I tried out one programming newsletter few for a couple months (sorry I can't remember which one it was now), but I unsubscribed from it due to the fact that 95% of the time was spent arguing about differences between languages. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a few good mailing lists that they might like to share? Josh, May be www....

FA: 8 PC GAME Guides - Strategy Guides for 8 PC Games
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5727629858 ...

FA: 8 PC GAME Guides - Strategy Guides for 8 PC Games
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5727629858 ...

pc-to-pc games available
I am looking for a compuer game that i can play between multiple computers on my own home network without having to go online. I liked "Strategic Conquest", and would almost be satisfied with it for this purpose if it ran on Windows instead of just on Macs. I just want something interesting to play locally with my son every now and then, and I haven't seen anything like that when I google for it. On Nov 2, 8:54 am, Rodney Engdahl <takarov2...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I am looking for a compuer game that i can play between multiple > computers on my own home ...

Mickmils PIRATED a PC Game, FINISHED that PC Game, Didn't PAY for it and he is PROUD of it!
Mickmils finished a PC Games: On 25 Mar 2007, Mickmils wrote: > Finished STALKER. Then later he admits he hasn't payed for the game he played and finished On 6 Apr 2007, Mickmils wrote: >> Have you yourself bought STALKER? > > No. And I'm very glad I haven't considering how disappointing > this was. I would have bought it afterwards if it actually > delivered some enjoyment. I find it unbelievable someone telling he didn't enjoyed the game when he actually finished it I guess the guy is MASOCHISTIC, which is obviously not true, he is LYING cause he re...

games, games, Games!
Let's start another game posting as this is theonly reason I visit this newsgroup and most postings seem technical or about fan sites (though infor on cpcoxygen is always welcome!) Right. Below is a list of games and I want you to put a check (or a yes or no!) by the ones you completed as a kid (or at least, on its original release, because not all Amstrad owners in the eighties were children - I know that!) and a check by the ones you didn't complete as a kid but have now completed via emulation. Why? Because I'm curious, that's all! The selection has been dictated s...

FA Pc game nib $5. homeland2 award winner + also pc game XIII nib
Goto http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=macstl Its fixed price listing for a dime only so you won't see me doing these kinds of prices very often at all if ever.... 6959715837 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:15:52 $9.99 The Works of Voltaire hb old No Bids Yet 6959716665 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:22:15 $9.99 THE STORY OF MANKIND by H. Van Loon 1923freegift No Bids Yet 6959718551 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:36:22 $9.99 Tess of the D'Urbervilles, A Pure Woman No Bids Yet 8304572154 May-07-05 May-14-05 12:10:12 $9.99 Leather Jacket VG authentic No Bids Yet 577...

FA: 3 PC GAMES - SPYCRAFT, POLICE QUEST, KING'S QUEST
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5765197226 ...

FA Pc game nib $5. homeland2 award winner + also pc game XIII nib #2
Goto http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=macstl Its fixed price listing for a dime only so you won't see me doing these kinds of prices very often at all if ever.... 6959715837 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:15:52 $9.99 The Works of Voltaire hb old No Bids Yet 6959716665 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:22:15 $9.99 THE STORY OF MANKIND by H. Van Loon 1923freegift No Bids Yet 6959718551 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:36:22 $9.99 Tess of the D'Urbervilles, A Pure Woman No Bids Yet 8304572154 May-07-05 May-14-05 12:10:12 $9.99 Leather Jacket VG authentic No Bids Yet 577...

FA: 3 PC GAMES - SPYCRAFT, POLICE QUEST, KING'S QUEST
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5765197226 ...

PC games using a game controller
I've used Xpadder to map all the keybd functions in Gothic 1 to a Logitech wireless PS2 game controller. The mapping went OK once I stopped reading the developers BEYOND STUPID manual, and just winged it on my own. I have all the functions in Gothic 1 mapped to a much easier configuration on the controller, and it all works ... with one slight exception. I mapped the R-stick to the "normal" mouse so that I have complete camera control ..... sort of. I can't believe how clumbsy the stick camera control is. There is nothing natural about it. I can look in any direction, but th...

PC games vs Console games
Console games might be great if you want to restrict yourself to arcade type games and and RPG's but I have never seen a strategy game that has depth and challenge that a PC game has. If console game makers continue to crank out more of the same I will still be content with the existing PC games I already have even if another new great PC title never comes out. Senica <Bylleee@yahoo.com> wrote: > Console games might be great if you want to restrict yourself > to arcade type games and and RPG's but I have never seen a strategy > game that has depth and c...

Web resources about - pc games complains about the state of PC gaming, however... - comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Why Facebook Users Complain To The FTC
The Federal Trade Commission received 1,655 complaints about Facebook in 2012 — down from 2,171 in 2011, but up from 1,381 in 2010 — but what ...

Facebook Widens Test of App Request Notifications, Some Users Complain
Facebook appears to have rolled out its short-term test of app requests in the notifications channel to many or possibly all users. The change ...

Anchor rips into viewers that complain about storm coverage - YouTube
This morning my amazing co-anchor, Nancy Naeve, went on a rant about the nasty emails, calls and social media messages we received after breaking ...

UAE fans complain about scramble signal on BeIn Sports
Narrow black boxes with codes have been appearing on viewers' television screens during football matches. It is reportedly to deter piracy.

Senator complains over PNG plan ads
Independent Senator Nick Xenophon has made a formal complaint to the Commonwealth Auditor-General over the Federal Government’s massive advertising ...

Customers failing to complain about poor service
Consumers can be a compliant lot. Just look at our banking habits. Surveys have shown more than 50 per cent of Australians have been with their ...

Christchurch family complain of unsafe and unclean room at Towers of Chevron Renaissance
A KIWI family who forked out more than $900 on Surfers Paradise accommodation they say was unsafe and of a poor standard have complained to authorities. ...

Family of sisters returned to Italy complains of police actions
THE family of four sisters, who were returned this week by Australia to Italy, say they will file a complaint to the Commonwealth Ombudsman over ...

Workers complain open plan offices have serious flaws
Open plan offices could be making the workforce sick.

Concert-goers complain about scalping
Fans have complained to a parliamentary inquiry about ticket scalping, but the entertainment and ticketing industry says it isn't a major problem. ...