Re: Is it getting harder to find new PC releases in your local stores?

Trimble Bracegirdle" <NOspam@spam.not> wrote in message
> Noticed this sort of pushing the PC to smaller further-back  shelves
in most
> UK stores for a year or 2 ..can only get worse ;)

So far, my local EB haven't pushed PC games further back in stores.PC
games are in the same place as they always were, but take up a lot less
shelves and space on the wall than they used to. Other shelves are taken
up with Xbox, play station, etc. I saw Keepsake and Scratches in EB
yesterday and will look soon to see if they have Dreamfall and Paradise.
I'm in Toronto, Canada.

Mary

nonon (1)
4/18/2006 10:52:28 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action 14509 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Is it getting harder to find new PC releases in your local stores?
I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the 13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town. Noticed this sort of pushing the PC to smaller further-back shelves in most UK stores for a year or 2 ..can only get worse ;) Mouse @@@@ "Kyle Rodgers" <sdes@aol.com> wrote in message news:zeb1g.2979$Lm5.2806@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com... >I live in Torrance CA (not exactly a small town) and every time a new PC >release comes out that I want (Tomb Raider in this case) it takes like a >week before the Best Buys and EBs have it. My local EB has delegated the PC >games to an old shelf in the back of the store. This game came out on the >13th and I still can't find it anywhere in my town. Yes. Tracking an anticipated game from going gold and shipping is largely an exercise in frustration. Best Buy always has it a week "late" (from my perspective), and EB is prettymuch just as bad. Ok, EB had Oblivion quick, but even then, they got 2 collector's edition and 4 regular for the PC - they got about 100 for the x-box 360. And *forget* anything but an A-List title getting there quick. It took my local EB about 3 weeks after release to get Knights of Honor (ok, it wasn...

PC Gaming Almost Dead -AGAIN- So................ PC Industry Consortium to announce 'PC Gaming Alliance' to save PC gaming
Takahashi: Gaming Alliance stumps for PC By Dean Takahashi Mercury News 02/12/2008 The personal computer game industry has trailed behind its console brethren in recent years as easy-to-play games on the Nintendo Wii or online games on the Xbox 360 have stolen the excitement. Companies with a vested interest in keeping the PC alive as a gaming platform will soon announce a consortium dubbed the PC Gaming Alliance. According to two people familiar with the effort, it will include top industry players such as Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices as well as a number of computer ...

Anyone care to get me pumped up to drop $1500+ for a new PC rig? I have been out of PC gaming a long time.
I have been out of PC gaming for forever. I mean the last PC related thing I bought (outside of maybe Oasis, which I haven't played) is the Civ 4 expansion. I used to post a lot on PC gaming newsgroups, particularly strategic, but I am way out of it. So much out of it, that seeing Sid Meiers Railroads on the shelves was a shock. Mostly I have limited myself to XBox 360 stuff, and Arcade downloads. Yes, I am out of it. Anyhow, can people here get me pumped up as to what is coming out worth dropping $1500+ to get a new rig for? Thank you for your time... - Rich On 30 Dec 2006 17:56:45 -0800, getrich@1upandup.com wrote: >I have been out of PC gaming for forever. I mean the last PC related >thing I bought (outside of maybe Oasis, which I haven't played) is the >Civ 4 expansion. > >I used to post a lot on PC gaming newsgroups, particularly strategic, >but I am way out of it. So much out of it, that seeing Sid Meiers >Railroads on the shelves was a shock. Mostly I have limited myself to >XBox 360 stuff, and Arcade downloads. Yes, I am out of it. > >Anyhow, can people here get me pumped up as to what is coming out worth >dropping $1500+ to get a new rig for? > >Thank you for your time... >- Rich Some games are just not available on XBox360 (Dark Messiah, Flight Simulator X, Civilization IV, Counterstrike:Source) and those games available on both platforms (Rainbow Six Vegas, Oblivion, etc) are usually infinitely better...

FA: 8 PC GAME Guides - Strategy Guides for 8 PC Games
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5727629858 ...

FA: 8 PC GAME Guides - Strategy Guides for 8 PC Games
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5727629858 ...

PC to PC
Hello all I have connect licensed. I wondered, is it possible to submit a sas job to remotely run on another pc version of sas (not a server version), or is a server license needed? Thanks Robert Hi Robert It is possible. Here are the things you do: On the remote PC you should have SAS connect spawner service running. Following are the steps on remote pc: 1. Include the following entry in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file: spawner 4016/tcp #SAS UNINX Spawner 2. Start service by running the following command: c:\program files\sas\8.2\utilities\bin\sastcpd ...

PROTOTYPE
Out for Xbox 360 & PS3 also... good (not VERY good) reviews there. PC version out today .'THEY' describe ."Action Adventure." Link to reviews ; http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/prototype?q=prototype No sign of a Demo .. Looks like (say) Multi special talents Spiderman ....wide open roaming design.. .......a shapeshifter with amazing powers ,,,,. Consume targets for their form and memories to assume a perfect disguise, .... transform your body into an array of deadly biological weapons, ....... Stalk ....New York City,... searching for the life you lead ...

pc games complains about the state of PC gaming, however...
It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble. The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with better graphics on the PC and with better control. The Wii has a market with kids/grannys and such (and deserves it, I suppose with the gimmicky controller that most folks already seem to be losing interest in, so they will need some stellar titles to maintain momentum).. The PS3 has failed, plain and simple. Defeat conceded here: http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/biztech/06/19/japan.sony.ap/index.html "Reap The Wild Wind" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:c82h735vd5kpmdenh7npirht49cfhjj3lu@4ax.com... > It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble. > > The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current > gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the > coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with > better graphics on the PC and with better control. You're leaving out just about every single sports game. The only action sports games for the PC are Madden, NBA and NHL (well, soccer, too, but I don't count that). PC doesn't even have a baseball game anymore, except for text sims. Plus, the XBox 360 still has titles like Gears of War, Dead Rising and the coming Halo 3 that w...

Re: Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster
Monty Solomon wrote: > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And how long do they have those _new_ > machines until they also get polluted and have to be replaced? The sad thing is that it's simply not that hard to protect yourself. We have two computers here that never get infected ... the other one can't be infected because it's not on the Net, but my wife's and mine both are. JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED Coming to you from Southern California's High Desert, where the temperatures are as high as the gas prices! / 888.480.4NET (4638) "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe" ...

Re: Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster #2
Whoever gave that man a Ph.D. in computer science should reconsider ... ...

Re: Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster #7
In message <telecom24.331.3@telecom-digest.org> Choreboy <choreboyREMOVE@localnet.com> wrote: > Steve Sobol wrote: >> Monty Solomon wrote: >>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And how long do they have those _new_ >>> machines until they also get polluted and have to be replaced? >> The sad thing is that it's simply not that hard to protect yourself. >> We have two computers here that never get infected ... the other one >> can't be infected because it's not on the Net, but my wife's and mine >> both are. > One can't be infected because it's not on the internet. Why is the > other one safe? Because these days the only real way to get infected is user stupidity ... Free hint: When you get an email from "Microsoft" with a patch, don't install it. Configure your browser properly to not install unrequested shit. Don't install spyware laced crap. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And how long do they have those _new_ > machines until they also get polluted and have to be replaced? I'd > think there might be a market in doing some dumpster diving, retrieving > those old machines, doing a total init of the hard drive and starting > over from scratch, reloading them, etc. My pay for same would come > from refurbishing the old machines with a totally new (and as of > then unmolested) hard drive, ab...

Re: Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster #3
On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 04:49:13 -0400, Monty Solomon <monty@roscom.com> wrote: > By MATT RICHTEL and JOHN MARKOFF > Mr. Tucker, an Internet industry executive who holds a Ph.D. in > computer science, decided that rather than take the time to remove the > offending software, he would spend $400 on a new machine. > [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And how long do they have those _new_ > machines until they also get polluted and have to be replaced? [...] If he spends that $400 (actually, $499 or so) on a Mac Mini, he can probably go for a good long time. There are no known viruses on OS/X. I don't know if anything bad can happen from using IE on the Mac; I don't believe so. Safari is not perfect, but it works just fine for almost all of my browsing. One thing I like in Safari: there is a pull-down option in Safari for resetting *everything*: cache, cookies, etc. I do this periodically -- I like to flush all my cookies periodically just as a regular practice. The only real software people will need in general is Office 2004. For most, the student edition should work just fine for their home needs. If there is not a lot of need for compatibility, the $80 iWork package (Presentation software + Apple word processor) should work just fine. The main thing lacking in iWork is a spreadsheet; Apple should address that in the next release. With the dropping cost of hardware, more and more people should clearly look at th...

Re: pc games needs to get used to not owning a physical copy of his software
> On Jun 28, 5:07 pm, "Les Steel" <a...@aolnot.com> wrote: >> "Danger" <jjbea...@gmail.com> wrote in message >> >> news:1183020418.912212.264370@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... >> On Jun 28, 8:25 am, pc games <pcgamer23...@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >> > On Jun 27, 9:49 am, roundy_whotookmyn...@yahoo.co.uk wrote: >> >> > > so you claim... at least danger showed the CD he bought (even if it >> > > was a pirated copy). people have been asking you to show your >> > > "collection" for years and you still haven�t done it. what have you >> > > got to hide? your "units" don�t have the name of the game written in >> > > a green pen do they, hmmm? >> >> >http://pcgames2006.tripod.com/pcgbought.htm >> >> It's funny how all the games you apparently bought in October 2006 >> seem to be all wrap in their original plastic. So you try to tell me >> that you never open them to play. You are telling me that you bought >> all those game during the month kept them in their plastic and took a >> picture without playing them. I seriously think you are a liar and you >> took that picture on the internet and now you pretend it's you >> collection. Pc games you are LAME and TWIT >> >> And despite repeated requests, we have never seen any further photos showi...

Re: Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster #4
Steve Sobol wrote: > Monty Solomon wrote: >> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And how long do they have those _new_ >> machines until they also get polluted and have to be replaced? > The sad thing is that it's simply not that hard to protect yourself. > We have two computers here that never get infected ... the other one > can't be infected because it's not on the Net, but my wife's and mine > both are. One can't be infected because it's not on the internet. Why is the other one safe? It seems that nobody bothers to infect classic macs. Anyway, spyware would be easy to eliminate on a classic mac. I do get email spam, but not on Choreboy, with which I have posted to usenet without munging. The spam, perhaps ten pieces a day, comes to another email address. It started after I filled out a form asking an online vendor to tell me when an item was in stock. I think somebody there made money selling customer email addresses. ...

Re: Corrupted PC's Find New Home in the Dumpster #11
In article <telecom24.337.5@telecom-digest.org>, DevilsPGD <spamsucks@crazyhat.net> wrote: > While true, the vast majority of malware released post-XPSP2 requires > explicit user intervention to install it. Maybe. It's also true that a lot of pre-XPSP2 malware is still circulating. Do you have any idea how long it takes to download and install something like SP2 when all you have is a 33Kbaud dial-up connection? And that's assuming the systems are set to automatically download and install updates. I support many people on dialup. In spite of what the government wants you to believe about broadband coverage, there are a LOT of people who can't get it, and the phone companies have no incentive to invest in the infrastructure to provide it. None of the ones I visit ever have SP2 installed, or even most of the earlier updates. I always take a CD full of updates along with me to do it for them. And a dial-up connection has no firewall, and typically has all of the default services still enabled. Even unpatched new systems (with SP2) are at risk. A number of the exploits take advantage of IE holes that don't require any more user involvement than retrieving content from a malicious web site or accessing malicious email (sometimes just the preview pane is enough, sometimes not even that is needed) thanks to Outlook/OE integration with IE. John Meissen jmeissen@aracnet.com ...

FA PC game new inbox XIII conspiecy action 4cds never used.$7.
For Auction: The Middle Ages Hallam Vol. II Book The World's Great Classics. This is a nice older book about the Middle Ages copyright 1899. It is Illustrated with nearly two hundard photographs, etchings, colored plates and full page portraits of great authors. Clarence Cook is the Art Editor of the book by Henry Hallam. It is the revised edition volume II. Some of the pages are not finished being ripped open to read them. It is in very good condition and will add to your collection. Good Luck! Goto http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4519203825 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx goto http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=macstl 4520590215 $5.50 Green Darkness by Anya Seton (1972) 5551885951 $10.00 7 piece Jean-Michelle Collectlion+ free gift Available 5551887978 $8.00 Magical Signs and Symbols+freegift 4351650269 $9.99 DEAN & DELUCA Chile Seasonings+freegifts No 4521102360 $1.00 Whales by Anne Collet, Yves Cohat 4521335261 $9.99 Photo book of Afghanistan+freegifts 6944275469 42 $14.00 The Middle Ages by Hallam1899vg+freegifts 4522083090 $2.99 The Prophet Ezekiel by Arno Clemens Gaebelein +freegift 4352477704 $6.00 Universal Grill Care Regulator NIB+freegift 6148912858 $10.00 Cigar Humidor Genuine Walnut LN condition. 4522252302 $3.99 Top Secret Information the Government, Banks, and Re... 4522285652 $4.00 Network Marketing + freegifts No Bids Yet 4522293216 $3.00 Thus Spake Zarathustra by...

My new gaming PC
Well, all the parts arrived today, and this is what I ended up with: Aspire 550W power Asus A8R-MVP motherboard WD1500ADFD 150GB Raptor 10000 RPM HDD 2GB of Corsair DDR memory Dual ATI X1900XTX 512MB in Crossfire mode Price: $3,289 It's kickass. :) -- Sandman[.net] Edwin, on protecting against malware: "I use Avast AV, the Yahoo anti-spy toolbar, the MS anti-spy software, Windows SP2 with its firewall, AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SpywareBlaster." "Sandman" <mr@sandman.net> wrote in message news:mr-3EA2F3.10170317022006@individual.net... > Well, all the parts arrived today, and this is what I ended up with: > > Aspire 550W power > Asus A8R-MVP motherboard > WD1500ADFD 150GB Raptor 10000 RPM HDD > 2GB of Corsair DDR memory > Dual ATI X1900XTX 512MB in Crossfire mode > > Price: $3,289 Nice rig. A little skimpy on the storage side what with a single drive. Why not opt for nVidia vids since they offer similar performance, and much better DVD playback? And why is this on a Mac advocacy forum? > > It's kickass. :) > > > > -- > Sandman[.net] > > Edwin, on protecting against malware: > "I use Avast AV, the Yahoo anti-spy toolbar, the MS > anti-spy software, Windows SP2 with its firewall, > AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SpywareBlaster." In article <XpmdnZoLOMWMB2jeRVn-jQ@comcast.com>, "Johnny Lee" <johnl...

Auction: 640K RAM CARD Memory expansion for IBM PC , IBM PC/XT
>http://cgi.ebay.com/640K-RAM-CARD-Memory-expansion-for-IBM-PC-IBM-PC-XT_W0QQitemZ8764134178QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< Ends Feb-16-06 15:46:57 PST 3 available ...

Looking for XENIX or PC/IX for IBM PC.
Hello, I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the booting process and operating system in general. Please let me know what you have. I offer my help to make diskette copies if you can't yourself, for your own backup purpose as well. Thanks. Luc rhubarbe0@yahoo.com wrote: > I know Minix, but I'd like to find other UNIX or UNIX-like OS > for early IBM PC (circa 1981-85 or so). This is to study the > booting process and operating system in general. You might also be interested in Coherent Unix, which is freely available today - e.g., at http://www.tliquest.net/unix/Other/Coherent/ Kernel source is also available. In addition, Bill and Lynne Jolitz' "Porting Unix to the 386" article series in Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=1066/ddj9101a/9101a.htm) might be interesting since it contained many details on the booting process and x86 protected mode transition. Michael -- Michael Engel - engel@informatik.uni-marburg.de Philipps-Universitaet Marburg - FB Mathematik und Informatik Hans-Meerwein-Str. - 35032 Marburg Tel. 06421 / 28 21562 - Fax: 06421 / 28 21573 I've got a set of disks of Xenix i286 2.3.2. Email me if you are interested. Please it's close source, don't distribute, I've paid for it ;). Coherent don't work if you have less 4MB RAM or Phoenix Bios too old. So its author...

Popular PC Game Sequels No Longer on PC?
Just was perusing Gamespot.com and reailzed that two game series that I am quite fond of, Rainbow Six and Call of Duty have sequels that look like they won't be available for the PC? Rainbow Six Las Vegas so far looks like it is for X360 and PS3 only. Call of Duty 3 is slated for, get this, the XBOX, X360, PS2, and PS3 but NOT for PC? WTF is up with that? If it out for the antiquated XBOX and PS2, why not the PC? Just wondering what other titles in the future that will be hot sellers or sequels that won't be released for a PC? I'm not object to consoles, I just prefer PC games. One big reason is that I can't stand the controllers for any of the consoles, not to mention that I can update my PC to get better framerates and improved graphics if I decide to do so. Boo to Activision and Ubisoft for this decision... Get used to it. "HockeyTownUSA" <cyberpilot@gmail.com> wrote in message news:VtadnU8WAY6JqkPZnZ2dnUVZ_rKdnZ2d@comcast.com... > Just was perusing Gamespot.com and reailzed that two game series that I am > quite fond of, Rainbow Six and Call of Duty have sequels that look like they > won't be available for the PC? > > Rainbow Six Las Vegas so far looks like it is for X360 and PS3 only. > > Call of Duty 3 is slated for, get this, the XBOX, X360, PS2, and PS3 but NOT > for PC? WTF is up with that? If it out for the antiquated XBOX and PS2, why > not the PC? > > Just wondering what other ti...

FA: 3 PC GAMES - SPYCRAFT, POLICE QUEST, KING'S QUEST
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5765197226 ...

FA Pc game nib $5. homeland2 award winner + also pc game XIII nib #2
Goto http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=macstl Its fixed price listing for a dime only so you won't see me doing these kinds of prices very often at all if ever.... 6959715837 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:15:52 $9.99 The Works of Voltaire hb old No Bids Yet 6959716665 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:22:15 $9.99 THE STORY OF MANKIND by H. Van Loon 1923freegift No Bids Yet 6959718551 May-07-05 May-14-05 11:36:22 $9.99 Tess of the D'Urbervilles, A Pure Woman No Bids Yet 8304572154 May-07-05 May-14-05 12:10:12 $9.99 Leather Jacket VG authentic No Bids Yet 577...

FA: 3 PC GAMES - SPYCRAFT, POLICE QUEST, KING'S QUEST
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5765197226 ...

FS:Serious Sam 2 (PC)<Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2K6(PC)<Half Life 2 (PC)
Selling Serious Sam 2 (PC),Half Life 2 (PC) and Cabela�s Big Game Hunter 2006 (PC)�all CDs and all materials in boxes as they came originally. Opened boxes on both,but everything that was in the game boxes is there now,everything in new-condition,CDs are flawless��no scratches on CDs whatsoever. Serious Sam 2 is brand new, in stores not for $20;I�d sell it for $13 delivered (not a bad deal considering it costs a couple of bucks to ship these games). BGH 2006 is also brand new,in stores now for $20,I'd sell it for $11 delivered including safe,secure S/H). HL2 is about a year old and yes,you'll have to deal with the Steam Apps stuff (read online if you dont already know) to install it,but this great game (voted 2004's game of the year by a few publications)I'd sell for $15 delivered�.it was a $50 when it came out a year ago/ I would accept a check or money order (U.S only,please) for either...no cash,please,unless I've dealt with you previously. I've sold dozens of my games online through this NG before (some of you will hopefully remember me),but since EB started taking trade-ins a while ago,I stopped. EB Games doesn't allow trade-in for PC games anymore,so I'll be posting my games for sale again when I'm done with them. Thanks for any interest. Please email me at DOHH@aol.com ...

Web resources about - Re: Is it getting harder to find new PC releases in your local stores? - comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Press Release Rocket - News and Current Events
By Toi Williams on December 24, 2014 Workers at more than 1,400 Walmart stores across the nation are set to see their pay rise next year as ...

Software release life cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Usage of the "alpha/beta" test terminology originated at IBM. As long ago as the 1950s (and probably earlier), IBM used similar terminology for ...

Father releases unseen photos showing Darcy Atkinson sustained horrific bruising - DailyTelegraph Search ...
SHOCKING new photos have emerged showing the extent of a Central Coast toddler’s injuries before he died from a brain injury three years ago. ...

Apple releases OS X 10.11.4 beta 7 with Messages & Notes improvements, more
In addition to releasing the seventh beta of iOS 9.3 yesterday, Apple today has released OS X 10.11.4 beta 7 to developers and public beta testers. ...

VRScore: Crytek and Basemark Announce New Benchmark Release
Virtual Reality has definitely been playing the slow and steady race for a while now. Thankfully, with the approach of consumer VR headsets going ...

Western Digital releases affordable WD PiDrive 314GB HDD for Raspberry Pi
The Raspberry Pi line of computers are so much fun. By utilizing an OS-loaded memory card, it is easy to get started, making it a great project ...

PlayStation VR price and release date officially unveiled at GDC 2016
Taking the stage for a press event at GDC 2016 on Tuesday, Sony finally unveiled the price and release date for the PlayStation VR headset — ...

Jaye Bartell shares "Laundry Line" off new LP, playing NYC release party w/ Ryley Walker before tour ...
It's another lovely, sad song off Bartell's upcoming 'Light Enough.' He'll be touring with Kevin Morby later this year.

ClipperCreek Releases LCS-30 EVSE, A 24 Amp Level 2 Charging Station For $499
Originally published on EV Obsession. ClipperCreek has released a new 24 Amp Level 2 electric vehicle charging station, one that provides 5.8 ...

Oklahoma City police set to release McClendon crash report
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma City police are holding a news conference to discuss the death of Chesapeake Energy founder Aubrey McClendon, whose ...