What will PC graphics look like 10 years from now?

What will PC graphics look like 10 years from now?  Doom 3 is roughly
10 years old   - so you can put Doom I and Doom 3 side-by-side and see
what 10 years of hardware/software progress looks like.  Did anyone
really imagine or believe that graphics would look as clean and
three-deminsional as they do today?

What will graphics look like in 10 years?  Will we even be using
monitors?
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action 14509 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

"lloydgm" <usenet.lloydgm@choicemail1.com> wrote in message
> What will PC graphics look like 10 years from now?  Doom 3 is roughly
> 10 years old   - so you can put Doom I and Doom 3 side-by-side and see
> what 10 years of hardware/software progress looks like.  Did anyone
> really imagine or believe that graphics would look as clean and
> three-deminsional as they do today?

You kind of stole my thunder there...I was going to say that in 10 years,
Doom 3 will seem like what the original Doom looks like today.  I guess the
push over time will be to get graphics in PC games to look as close to
possible to real life and consistently get 60 frames per second in the
process.

> What will graphics look like in 10 years?  Will we even be using
> monitors?

Photorealistic, and CRT's will no doubt be a thing of the past.  Everything
will go widescreen as well by default.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:08:58 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote:

>Photorealistic, and CRT's will no doubt be a thing of the past.  Everything
>will go widescreen as well by default.

Sharp just released a monitor that displays in 3D, like when using
those 3D glasses but no glasses needed. Now, this is something I would
like to own.
0
no8898 (333)
8/11/2004 6:18:44 AM
On 10 Aug 2004 20:03:50 -0700, usenet.lloydgm@choicemail1.com
(lloydgm) wrote:

>What will PC graphics look like 10 years from now?  Doom 3 is roughly
>10 years old   - so you can put Doom I and Doom 3 side-by-side and see
>what 10 years of hardware/software progress looks like.  Did anyone
>really imagine or believe that graphics would look as clean and
>three-deminsional as they do today?

In early 90s we had TV scifi shows like Babylon 5 with CGI graphics,
and I think people at least hoped that in 10 years we would have game
graphics at least resembling that CGI (B5 started airing at 1994 I
think, but close enough). Well, I think we are pretty close to that
level of graphics now, I would think?

I don't know what would be a similar yardstick today. If PC/video game
graphics will look in 11 years similar to Shrek 2 CGI, I might
actually be a bit disappointed. But then, how far can the game
graphics go anyway?

0
n5823 (363)
8/11/2004 11:41:59 AM
"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote in message news:<10hj3hmgdskha3e@corp.supernews.com>...
> I guess the push over time will be to get graphics in PC games to look as close
> to possible to real life and consistently get 60 frames per second in
> the process.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I've also considered, once we
reach that point, then what?  I imagine game hardware designers will
being to focus more on immersion - I'm talking holodeck here.

> What will graphics look like in 10 years?  Will we even be using monitors?
> Photorealistic, and CRT's will no doubt be a thing of the past.  Everything
> will go widescreen as well by default.

Widescreen for sure - and I wonder if it will be portable?  With
everything going miniature a product like the PSP could project on a
wall or plug into a monitor.
On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:08:58 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote:

>  I guess the
>push over time will be to get graphics in PC games to look as close to
>possible to real life and consistently get 60 frames per second in the
>process.

You should say "as close to real life as they want". I imagine not
everyone will want to be shooting real-looking people all the time. :)

--
Alex
atheist #2007
"Alex" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:08:58 -0600, "NightSky 421"
> <nightsky421@reply-to-group.com> wrote:
>
> >  I guess the
> >push over time will be to get graphics in PC games to look as close to
> >possible to real life and consistently get 60 frames per second in the
> >process.
>
> You should say "as close to real life as they want". I imagine not
> everyone will want to be shooting real-looking people all the time. :)
>

> --
> Alex
> atheist #2007

That depends on many of them are modeled after posters in this
newsgroup.....

0
Kill

lloydgm <usenet.lloydgm@choicemail1.com> wrote:
#What will graphics look like in 10 years?  Will we even be using
#monitors?

I've seen some good answers so far- true 3D, photorealistic, huge
viewing areas, etc.

The follow-on question I'd like to ask- will game companys have to hire
Hollywood production companies and studios to make a game? If the
distribution of such a game is limited to high-end PC users, how much
will it cost? Will such a market even exist? (I hope so).

I don't want to get into a console versus PC argument. If you figure a
good console game has even 50% of the eye candy of a PC game, but
advances in capability at the same rate (in fewer/bigger jumps), that
just means that the production requirements of a good console game will
be the same as for the PC, only delayed by 2-3 years. In other words,
the production values and cost for a 2010 PC game will be similar to a
2012.5 console game.

Ken.
 Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net      | Close the VT SVC Ctr boondoggle and
 WWW:  http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | return services to local CIS offices!
kmarsh (198)
8/11/2004 1:16:04 PM
# lloydgm

> That's exactly what I was thinking.  I've also considered, once we
> reach that point, then what?  I imagine game hardware designers will
> being to focus more on immersion - I'm talking holodeck here.

I'm hoping that the hardware maxes out, developers exhaust the
possibilities of hyper-realistic boring games, and start making more
abstract games using gorgeous textures and rendering effects.

--
Toby
0
Toby Newman wrote:
> # lloydgm
>

>>That's exactly what I was thinking.  I've also considered, once we
>>reach that point, then what?  I imagine game hardware designers will
>>being to focus more on immersion - I'm talking holodeck here.
>

> I'm hoping that the hardware maxes out, developers exhaust the
> possibilities of hyper-realistic boring games, and start making more
> abstract games using gorgeous textures and rendering effects.

I'm not so certain that the graphics will improve very much. We're very
close to photorealism, which is nice, and there is some improvement to
be made there. But I just don't see where any major revolutions are
going to happen there.

But I think the main expansion's going to be in interactivity and
detail. Even in Doom 3, there were many objects which were sort of
hard-caoded into the decor, i.e., boxes, shelving, chairs, etc. I
figure, the more powerful that machines get, the more we'll be able to
interact with the game "world." More boxes which can be moved, more
driveable vehicles, more non-player characters with a wider range of
behaviors. Perhaps even more detailed maps-- say, a cityscape where many
buildings are fully realized, with multiple floors, rooms, etc.

(Oh, that reminds me of something I liked in Doom 3. I think this was
the first FPS I've played where the monsters _could_ follow you up a
ladder.)

0
siano (306)
8/11/2004 2:29:51 PM
# Brian Siano

> (Oh, that reminds me of something I liked in Doom 3. I think this was
> the first FPS I've played where the monsters _could_ follow you up a
> ladder.)

Yeah, the first time a nazi followed me up a ladder in RTCW I crapped my
pants!

--
Toby
0
In article <o_oSc.3$g35.360@news.abs.net>, Ken Marsh <kmarsh@charm.net> wrote:

>I've seen some good answers so far- true 3D, photorealistic, huge
>viewing areas, etc.
>
>The follow-on question I'd like to ask- will game companys have to hire
>Hollywood production companies and studios to make a game?

Or will Hollywood hire game companies to do their CGI? :-)

One could argue that as computers grow increasingly more powerful,
doing photorealistic graphics will become increasingly easy since you
no longer have to be incredibly clever in your 3D engine, level
design, etc., just to make things move along smoothly. I expect
computer power will have to cross some threshold before these effects
are seen though - up until then, squeezing cycles will remain the norm
and serve to increase development cost.

Once you can routinely use POV-ray to do real-time 60fps stereo
rendering in your game, you can start focusing the development team's
brains on more interesting things such as AI :-)

Cheers
	Bent D
--
Bent Dalager - bcd@pvv.org - http://www.pvv.org/~bcd