Civ4 - AI cheats?

I was playing on the ring world, prince level, with raging barbarians.
Spain had been a bad seed from the start.  Even getting city deep into �my�
blob of land and doing a influence bomb on me.  I was a little ahead of her
in tech.  So she declares war on me and attacks with the large built up army
the AI always has.  She attacked with Inf,, Cav,  Fighters and Cannon.  I
have Tanks, Gunships, Mech Inf., Fighters and Bombers.  She sends about 40
units at my nearest city and just barely takes it, killing my two city
defense specialty mech inf. guarding it. (I really like the new promotions
and how you can specialize your troops.�

We both go to a total war footing and I have a good ally that does a major
anphib invasion and between us we capture 6 of her cities over the next 20
turns.  She has gotten gunships and tanks during the war.  I have sunk her
fleets and have pretty much wiped out her standing army, During the war I
got composites so have a stream of Modern Armor flying out of my 20 cities
at her.  She begs me for peace and I am not feeling kindly.  The turn after
she sues for peace and I turn her down to my surprise 22 GUNSHIPS MATRILIZE
IN THE CENTER OF MY CONTINENT, WIPING OUT ALL MY S-S-BOMBERS, JET FIGHTERS
AND WORKERS. 10 MODERN ARMOR AND 8 ARTIES ATTACK THE FORWARD CITY.  8 BB, 8
DD AND SWARMS OF BOMBERS WIPE OUT MY FLEET!  That's right, she jumped up 3-4
tech levels and hit me with more units than she had cities in one turn!

Has anyone else seen behavior like this in a game?

Pavel
0
pavel
11/7/2005 8:55:52 AM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc 321 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

In article <sEEbf.10153$D13.5863@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
pavel@uark.edu wrote:

>We both go to a total war footing and I have a good ally that does a major
>anphib invasion and between us we capture 6 of her cities over the next 20
>turns.  She has gotten gunships and tanks during the war.  I have sunk her
>fleets and have pretty much wiped out her standing army, During the war I
>got composites so have a stream of Modern Armor flying out of my 20 cities
>at her.  She begs me for peace and I am not feeling kindly.  The turn after
>she sues for peace and I turn her down to my surprise 22 GUNSHIPS MATRILIZE
>IN THE CENTER OF MY CONTINENT, WIPING OUT ALL MY S-S-BOMBERS, JET FIGHTERS
>AND WORKERS. 10 MODERN ARMOR AND 8 ARTIES ATTACK THE FORWARD CITY.  8 BB, 8
>DD AND SWARMS OF BOMBERS WIPE OUT MY FLEET!  That's right, she jumped up 3-4
>tech levels and hit me with more units than she had cities in one turn!
>
>Has anyone else seen behavior like this in a game?

Not that bad, but I did wonder a few times where some enemy units came from.

One possibility is that she sacrificed population for units, which can
pack quite a whallop if she had a lot of large cities. I forget which
civic allows you to do that, but there IS one.

Henri
0
arseno
11/7/2005 12:32:59 PM
On  7-Nov-2005, arseno@nospamforme.ulaval.ca (Henri Arsenault) wrote:
> Not that bad, but I did wonder a few times where some enemy units came
> from.
> One possibility is that she sacrificed population for units, which can
> pack quite a whallop if she had a lot of large cities. I forget which
> civic allows you to do that, but there IS one.
> Henri

Bet that was it.  The one that lets you recruit pop to troops.  And I bet
she has a couple of cities off the other side that I can't see.  She is
getting all in my face again.  But this time I have Nukes, SDI, a big army,
airforce, and navy, and shelters and bunkers in all my cities.   Glaze to
black glass, drive tanks over the ashes!

Enjoying the game a lot.  Needs a little tweaking on the interface. (How do
you find a record of the "stuff" that happened last turn or how do you find
one of your own cities just by name?)

Pavel
0
pavel
11/7/2005 1:25:59 PM
pavel@uark.edu wrote:
>On  7-Nov-2005, arseno@nospamforme.ulaval.ca (Henri Arsenault) wrote:
>> Not that bad, but I did wonder a few times where some enemy units came
>> from.
>> One possibility is that she sacrificed population for units, which can
>> pack quite a whallop if she had a lot of large cities. I forget which
>> civic allows you to do that, but there IS one.
>> Henri
>
>Bet that was it.  The one that lets you recruit pop to troops.  And I bet
>she has a couple of cities off the other side that I can't see.  She is
>getting all in my face again.  But this time I have Nukes, SDI, a big army,
>airforce, and navy, and shelters and bunkers in all my cities.   Glaze to
>black glass, drive tanks over the ashes!

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!!!

>Enjoying the game a lot.  Needs a little tweaking on the interface. (How do
>you find a record of the "stuff" that happened last turn or how do you find
>one of your own cities just by name?)

0
Bateau
11/7/2005 2:05:07 PM
> Enjoying the game a lot.  Needs a little tweaking on the interface. (How
do
> you find a record of the "stuff" that happened last turn

I don't have the manual at the moment, but I know you can do such a thing.
It might be "`" or "/"?

0
Mother
11/7/2005 4:47:13 PM
pavel@uark.edu wrote:
>Enjoying the game a lot.  Needs a little tweaking on the interface. (How do
>you find a record of the "stuff" that happened last turn

Ctrl+TAB

>or how do you find
>one of your own cities just by name?)

I go to the City Advisor and click on it there.

--
Lucian
0
pavel@uark.edu wrote:

>Enjoying the game a lot.  Needs a little tweaking on the interface. (How do
>you find a record of the "stuff" that happened last turn or how do you find
>one of your own cities just by name?)

Alt-tab will give a list of all announcements, but I am not sure how to
find a city by name.

Henri
0
arseno
11/7/2005 6:26:40 PM
pavel@uark.edu wrote:

>Enjoying the game a lot.  Needs a little tweaking on the interface. (How do
>you find a record of the "stuff" that happened last turn or how do you find
>one of your own cities just by name?)

oops, sorry, that should read contr-tab to see a list of events.

Henri
0
arseno
11/7/2005 6:27:50 PM
On  7-Nov-2005, arseno@nospamforme.ulaval.ca (Henri Arsenault) wrote:
> Alt-tab will give a list of all announcements, but I am not sure how to
> find a city by name.
> Henri

Alt-tab switches to my desktop and it is a real pain to reload.

Pavel
0
pavel
11/7/2005 10:53:26 PM
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:05:07 +0800, Bateau <Bateau-is-a@MAN.invalid> wrote:

>pavel@uark.edu wrote:
>>On  7-Nov-2005, arseno@nospamforme.ulaval.ca (Henri Arsenault) wrote:
>>> Not that bad, but I did wonder a few times where some enemy units came
>>> from.
>>> One possibility is that she sacrificed population for units, which can
>>> pack quite a whallop if she had a lot of large cities. I forget which
>>> civic allows you to do that, but there IS one.
>>> Henri
>>
>>Bet that was it.  The one that lets you recruit pop to troops.  And I bet
>>she has a couple of cities off the other side that I can't see.  She is
>>getting all in my face again.  But this time I have Nukes, SDI, a big army,
>>airforce, and navy, and shelters and bunkers in all my cities.   Glaze to
>>black glass, drive tanks over the ashes!
>
>GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!!!

  <laugh> Nuclear War by New World Computing.  That game was a riot.
0
Johnny
11/8/2005 8:01:41 AM
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 08:01:41 GMT, Johnny Bravo
<baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:05:07 +0800, Bateau <Bateau-is-a@MAN.invalid> wrote:
>
>>pavel@uark.edu wrote:
>>>
>>>Bet that was it.  The one that lets you recruit pop to troops.  And I bet
>>>she has a couple of cities off the other side that I can't see.  She is
>>>getting all in my face again.  But this time I have Nukes, SDI, a big army,
>>>airforce, and navy, and shelters and bunkers in all my cities.   Glaze to
>>>black glass, drive tanks over the ashes!
>>
>>GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!!!
>
>  <laugh> Nuclear War by New World Computing.  That game was a riot.

That was an awesome game!

* Robinson
0
Mirror
11/8/2005 2:29:13 PM
pavel@uark.edu wrote:
> On  7-Nov-2005, arseno@nospamforme.ulaval.ca (Henri Arsenault) wrote:
>
>>Alt-tab will give a list of all announcements, but I am not sure how to
>>find a city by name.
>>Henri
>

> Alt-tab switches to my desktop and it is a real pain to reload.

It's Ctrl-Tab to view the announcement list

Dave
0
Dave
11/8/2005 8:33:54 PM
In article <GVQbf.10263$D13.1329@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
pavel@uark.edu says...
> On  7-Nov-2005, arseno@nospamforme.ulaval.ca (Henri Arsenault) wrote:
> > Alt-tab will give a list of all announcements, but I am not sure how to
> > find a city by name.
> > Henri
>
> Alt-tab switches to my desktop and it is a real pain to reload.
>
> Pavel

I just found out that alt-tabbing out of civ4 is NOT a good idea. It
left the display in 600x800 4bit mode(!) and then locked up. (in game
resolution is 1280x1024 !?!)

PITA.

-Peter

Peter
11/10/2005 9:37:39 AM
Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <GVQbf.10263$D13.1329@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
> pavel@uark.edu says...
>
>>On  7-Nov-2005, arseno@nospamforme.ulaval.ca (Henri Arsenault) wrote:
>>
>>>Alt-tab will give a list of all announcements, but I am not sure how to
>>>find a city by name.
>>>Henri
>>
>>Alt-tab switches to my desktop and it is a real pain to reload.
>>
>>Pavel
>>

> I just found out that alt-tabbing out of civ4 is NOT a good idea. It
> left the display in 600x800 4bit mode(!) and then locked up. (in game
> resolution is 1280x1024 !?!)
Apropos, is there any way to decrease the resolution below 1024x768?
I'D like to play it on my laptop but the graphics is a 32MB mobility radeon
and the tiles all have a black background.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
0
Volker
11/10/2005 11:29:10 PM
Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer@gmx.de> wrote:
>Apropos, is there any way to decrease the resolution below 1024x768?
>I'D like to play it on my laptop but the graphics is a 32MB mobility radeon
>and the tiles all have a black background.

There are lines in the _Civ4Config file which control resolution. I
believe people have used them to get larger resolutions than the ones
supported. Maybe it also works for smaller resolutions.

(I did set it lower myself, to see, but it didn't have much effect)

--
Lucian
0
> Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer@gmx.de> wrote:
> >Apropos, is there any way to decrease the resolution below 1024x768?
> >I'D like to play it on my laptop but the graphics is a 32MB mobility radeon
> >and the tiles all have a black background.
>
> There are lines in the _Civ4Config file which control resolution. I
> believe people have used them to get larger resolutions than the ones
> supported. Maybe it also works for smaller resolutions.
>
> (I did set it lower myself, to see, but it didn't have much effect)

I don't think it does.

Setting graphic quality from High to Low does make all the difference
in 512MB, I've found.  Long delays between turns around 1600AD simply
go away.

But I moved to a 1GB machine instead, which has no problems at all.

- Gerry Quinn
0
Gerry
11/11/2005 12:16:08 PM
Lucian Wischik wrote:
> Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>>Apropos, is there any way to decrease the resolution below 1024x768?
>>I'D like to play it on my laptop but the graphics is a 32MB mobility radeon
>>and the tiles all have a black background.
>

> There are lines in the _Civ4Config file which control resolution. I
> believe people have used them to get larger resolutions than the ones
> supported. Maybe it also works for smaller resolutions.
>
> (I did set it lower myself, to see, but it didn't have much effect)
Same for me. But it was an idea.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
0
Volker
11/12/2005 10:03:24 AM
Gerry Quinn wrote:
> In article <9i78n1h908gffgkln290fjg2nflknj2cf3@4ax.com>,
> lu.nn@wischik.com says...
>
>>Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>>Apropos, is there any way to decrease the resolution below 1024x768?
>>>I'D like to play it on my laptop but the graphics is a 32MB mobility radeon
>>>and the tiles all have a black background.
>>
>>There are lines in the _Civ4Config file which control resolution. I
>>believe people have used them to get larger resolutions than the ones
>>supported. Maybe it also works for smaller resolutions.
>>
>>(I did set it lower myself, to see, but it didn't have much effect)
>

> I don't think it does.
>
> Setting graphic quality from High to Low does make all the difference
> in 512MB, I've found.  Long delays between turns around 1600AD simply
> go away.
>
> But I moved to a 1GB machine instead, which has no problems at all.
I have already set it to low, and I've got 1GB, unfortunately.
Well, I've asked support and will see, what they recommend.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
0
Volker