f



Counterstrike having problems on Dell laptop

A friend's kid is having problems playing Counterstrike 3D v 1.6 on a
Dell laptop.

Dell is an Inspiron 5150. I do not recognize the video card right away
but here are the specs and the operating system:

SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
384 MB
64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
WINDOWS XP HOME

I have a suspicion that this configuration does not have the
appropriate video card for this game.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Sam
[PLEASE do not e-mail me, my address is spam-proofed.]
0
dontfixit
1/13/2004 6:55:16 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc 321 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

9 Replies
364 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 52

S.V.Proff wrote:
> A friend's kid is having problems playing Counterstrike 3D v 1.6 on a
> Dell laptop.
>
> Dell is an Inspiron 5150. I do not recognize the video card right away
> but here are the specs and the operating system:
>
> SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
> 384 MB
> 64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> WINDOWS XP HOME
>
> I have a suspicion that this configuration does not have the
> appropriate video card for this game.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sam
> [PLEASE do not e-mail me, my address is spam-proofed.]

Have him check the requirements for the game.  I think it requires a
video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon 9000
only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9000/index.html

-- 
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
Douglas Adams


0
ICee
1/13/2004 7:22:32 PM
"ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:YzXMb.98$Tz1.185035@news2.news.adelphia.net...

> > SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
> > 384 MB
> > 64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> > WINDOWS XP HOME

>
> Have him check the requirements for the game.  I think it requires a
> video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon
9000
> only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
> http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9000/index.html
>

Counterstrike and the half-life engine on which it is based was
written before DirectX 8 was invented so it in fact does not require
DX9 support.

The radeon mobility (and the rest of the machine) is more than enough
to handle CS.

Exactly what problem and/or error messages does he get?


0
Andy
1/13/2004 7:53:08 PM
Taking a moment's reflection, ICee mused:
|
| Have him check the requirements for the game.  I think it requires a
| video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon 9000
| only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
| http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9000/index.html

    Counterstrike is not a DX9 game.  I don't think it's even a DX8 game.
It is a mod from the original Half-Life game.  HL's graphic engine is merely
a heavily modified Quake 1 engine.  So, DirectX support should not be a
problem.


0
mhicaoidh
1/13/2004 7:54:04 PM
mhicaoidh wrote:
> Taking a moment's reflection, ICee mused:
>>
>> Have him check the requirements for the game.  I think it requires a
>> video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon
>> 9000 only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
>> http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9000/index.html
>
>     Counterstrike is not a DX9 game.  I don't think it's even a DX8
> game. It is a mod from the original Half-Life game.  HL's graphic
> engine is merely a heavily modified Quake 1 engine.  So, DirectX
> support should not be a problem.

Wasn't sure.  Thought it was newer than that, but I don't keep up, as
you may have guessed.  :)
Maybe he just needs to update DirectX on the laptop.  Of course, as Andy
said, more info on the problem would be helpful.

-- 
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
                                            Douglas Adams


0
ICee
1/13/2004 8:04:52 PM
When you say problems what do u mean?


0
Bertie
1/13/2004 10:15:13 PM
His Video card is fine and it does handle DX90b My Mobility 7500 works
perfectly.

-- 


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"ICee" <icee@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:YzXMb.98$Tz1.185035@news2.news.adelphia.net...
> S.V.Proff wrote:
> > A friend's kid is having problems playing Counterstrike 3D v 1.6 on a
> > Dell laptop.
> >
> > Dell is an Inspiron 5150. I do not recognize the video card right away
> > but here are the specs and the operating system:
> >
> > SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
> > 384 MB
> > 64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> > WINDOWS XP HOME
> >
> > I have a suspicion that this configuration does not have the
> > appropriate video card for this game.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Sam
> > [PLEASE do not e-mail me, my address is spam-proofed.]
>
> Have him check the requirements for the game.  I think it requires a
> video card with DirectX 9 hardware support and the Mobility Radeon 9000
> only has DirectX 8.1 hardware support:
> http://www.ati.com/products/mobilityradeon9000/index.html
>
> -- 
> "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
> Douglas Adams
>
>


0
pcbutts1
1/14/2004 2:12:38 AM
Try lowering the game Resolution.

-- 


The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com



"S.V.Proff" <dontfixit@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ce6d4466.0401131055.690d9b16@posting.google.com...
> A friend's kid is having problems playing Counterstrike 3D v 1.6 on a
> Dell laptop.
>
> Dell is an Inspiron 5150. I do not recognize the video card right away
> but here are the specs and the operating system:
>
> SXGA+,P4 3.06gHZ
> 384 MB
> 64MB ATi MOBILITY RADEON 9000
> WINDOWS XP HOME
>
> I have a suspicion that this configuration does not have the
> appropriate video card for this game.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sam
> [PLEASE do not e-mail me, my address is spam-proofed.]


0
pcbutts1
1/14/2004 2:13:53 AM
My guess would be that the car doesn't properly uspport Open GL,
so it's defaulting to software mode.

0
Joseph
1/14/2004 6:20:00 AM
dontfixit@hotmail.com (S.V.Proff) wrote in
news:ce6d4466.0401131055.690d9b16@posting.google.com: 

> Newsgroups:
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,alt.games.starsiege.tribes,alt.games.half-li
> fe.counterstrike,24hoursupport.helpdesk 

Why is tribes on the distribution list? (Followup set.)

Note that there's also an ATI newsgroup.
0
ScratchMonkey
1/14/2004 6:18:56 PM
Reply: