Tron 2.0 - jerky behaviour

It's not officially out until Sept 19th so I'm not expecting everyone to have
played this yet, but I was wondering if anyone could answer the question as to
why I'm getting jerkiness once per second?

I have a Cybercom 1571PC with P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 128Mb GeForce4 MX440
graphics, WinXP, and have even set the graphics elements to low detail but
still this is happening. Is it just badly programmed in that case or is the
graphics card just not up to the job? It's very graphically intensive, that's
for sure.

I previously used a PC with a similar spec, but a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9600TX
graphics card, but the s-video output blew big chunks, but would that have
been able to handle this game?

TIA,
--

Dom Robinson	  Gamertag: DVDfever      email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)

almost sounds like something else is running in the background hogging cpu
cycles to me.  have you disabled all of the other running software and even
AV software as a test?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8  Abit Mirror <-----  Cable modem IP
over 115,000  FTP users served!
       ^^^^^^^

"Dom Robinson" <murphyisamuppet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's not officially out until Sept 19th so I'm not expecting everyone to
have
> played this yet, but I was wondering if anyone could answer the question
as to
> why I'm getting jerkiness once per second?
>
> I have a Cybercom 1571PC with P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 128Mb GeForce4 MX440
> graphics, WinXP, and have even set the graphics elements to low detail but
> still this is happening. Is it just badly programmed in that case or is
the
> graphics card just not up to the job? It's very graphically intensive,
that's
> for sure.
>
> I previously used a PC with a similar spec, but a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9600TX
> graphics card, but the s-video output blew big chunks, but would that have
> been able to handle this game?
>
> TIA,
> --
>
> Dom Robinson   Gamertag: DVDfever      email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot
uk
> /* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
> /* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs &
news
> /* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
>   "Those who say they can, can, while those who say they can't, are
right."

0
TomG
9/5/2003 12:56:28 AM
Its always amusing to see posts like a game running badly on someones Pc and
them asking 'is it badly programmed?' or something ;) TRON2.0 is a
msterpiece - I think they've done a great job of capturing the Tron universe
in it.
As for what could make it play average on your Pc, I guess there could be a
number of reasons - firstly I would say your graphics card. MX440? I'm not
sure, but check the games min system requirements -  perhaps it needs
something a little faster, although with low details turned on it'd suggest
something other.
Another thing to check for is remove ALL background programs running. Any
antivirus stuff is always a cpu-cycle hog, etc.
Check your cards functions - do you have AntiAliasing on full or something?
Also defrag, you never know - another thing could be your memory. Some games
rely on memory much much more than others, and an example of this is C&C
Generals. If you have average ram, the game will crash - yet you will have
no problems whatsoever on other games.
Lastly, remove all nvidia drivers using NastyFileRemover (from
3dguru/guru3d.com) and reinstall the 44.03's. This is just a troubleshooting
method. Worth a try.
Let us know how u go.

"Dom Robinson" <murphyisamuppet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's not officially out until Sept 19th so I'm not expecting everyone to
have
> played this yet, but I was wondering if anyone could answer the question
as to
> why I'm getting jerkiness once per second?
>
> I have a Cybercom 1571PC with P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 128Mb GeForce4 MX440
> graphics, WinXP, and have even set the graphics elements to low detail but
> still this is happening. Is it just badly programmed in that case or is
the
> graphics card just not up to the job? It's very graphically intensive,
that's
> for sure.
>
> I previously used a PC with a similar spec, but a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9600TX
> graphics card, but the s-video output blew big chunks, but would that have
> been able to handle this game?
>
> TIA,
> --
>
> Dom Robinson   Gamertag: DVDfever      email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot
uk
> /* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
> /* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs &
news
> /* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
>   "Those who say they can, can, while those who say they can't, are
right."

0
Blaedmon
9/5/2003 2:46:58 AM
ill never understand why some one buys a P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, and puts a
low end video card like the gf 4 mx 440 in it.
--
If life is a bitch then live it like she is drunk and naked.

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Dom Robinson" <murphyisamuppet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's not officially out until Sept 19th so I'm not expecting everyone to
have
> played this yet, but I was wondering if anyone could answer the question
as to
> why I'm getting jerkiness once per second?
>
> I have a Cybercom 1571PC with P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 128Mb GeForce4 MX440
> graphics, WinXP, and have even set the graphics elements to low detail but
> still this is happening. Is it just badly programmed in that case or is
the
> graphics card just not up to the job? It's very graphically intensive,
that's
> for sure.
>
> I previously used a PC with a similar spec, but a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9600TX
> graphics card, but the s-video output blew big chunks, but would that have
> been able to handle this game?
>
> TIA,
> --
>
> Dom Robinson   Gamertag: DVDfever      email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot
uk
> /* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
> /* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs &
news
> /* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
>   "Those who say they can, can, while those who say they can't, are
right."

0
Mangyrat
9/5/2003 3:56:33 AM
its your video card, gf4 MXs are basic/budget cards

0
Athura
9/5/2003 3:59:23 AM
Anytime someone hear has a problem and see's it a MX card they always assume
its a video problem.....  I have the GF4/MMX440 and it runs Tron 2, IL2
Forgotten Battles, Unreal 2003, BF1942, MOHAA, NOLF2, C&C Generals and many
others at high video settings with no problems whatsoever. (30fps+).  The
MX440 is was originally rated at 270 core/ 400 memory with bandwidth of
6.4GB/sec.  It sucks at AA/AF but so does most of the non-FX nvidia cards.
problem lays somewhere else, IE spyware, old drivers, etc...  Even my
Celeron 900 with this same card was more rthan sufficient.

"Athura" <Athura@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> its your video card, gf4 MXs are basic/budget cards

0
Helion
9/5/2003 4:09:40 AM
In article <bj91lh$gkn$1@news3.infoave.net>, rat@mangyrat.com says...
> ill never understand why some one buys a P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, and puts a
> low end video card like the gf 4 mx 440 in it.

I didn't. That's the one it came with, but while the same thing with the ATI
card was �799, this was �598 from Staples (sold out now). It also doesn't have
the TV card but I've never had serious need for one of those.
--

Dom Robinson	  Gamertag: DVDfever      email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
/* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs & news
/* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
  "Those who say they can, can, while those who say they can't, are right."
0
Dom
9/5/2003 8:09:51 AM
They use a double render technique to get the glows, the MX will be
seriously crippled on fill rates.

0
johndevoy
9/5/2003 1:32:57 PM
In article <80U5b.1127$sd5.106229@twister.columbus.rr.com>,
removehelionsrankin@insight.rr.com says...
> Anytime someone hear has a problem and see's it a MX card they always assume
> its a video problem.....  I have the GF4/MMX440 and it runs Tron 2

I'll try the game again later tonight. Can I ask what settings you have Tron 2
set to? Ta.
--

Dom Robinson	  Gamertag: DVDfever      email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
/* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs & news
/* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
  "Those who say they can, can, while those who say they can't, are right."
0
Dom
9/5/2003 7:32:24 PM
"Dom Robinson" <murphyisamuppet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's not officially out until Sept 19th so I'm not expecting everyone to
have
> played this yet, but I was wondering if anyone could answer the question
as to
> why I'm getting jerkiness once per second?
>
> I have a Cybercom 1571PC with P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 128Mb GeForce4 MX440
> graphics, WinXP, and have even set the graphics elements to low detail but
> still this is happening. Is it just badly programmed in that case or is
the
> graphics card just not up to the job? It's very graphically intensive,
that's
> for sure.
>
> I previously used a PC with a similar spec, but a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9600TX
> graphics card, but the s-video output blew big chunks, but would that have
> been able to handle this game?
>
> TIA,

Actually it came out Aug 26th. In the US at least.
It runs great on my AMD XP2200+ and GF3 Ti200 at 1280 X 960 and everything
set to high.
check to see if you have AA or AF enabled or if there are other programs
running in the background.

The game really is beautiful and fun but it is too short and the multiplayer
sucks.

      <><><><><><><>   The Worlds Uncensored News Source   <><><><><><><><>

0
Dave
9/5/2003 8:03:41 PM
The Demo Plays perfectly on my system, with my ADSL connection live, AVG &
ZA free running as well as Weather Watch,
System

XP Home SP1,
Gigabyte  GA-81DX Intel 845 AGPset
P4 1700Hz
640 SDram
40 G Western Digital HD
20 G OEM WD HD
RealTek Ethernet card connected to 4 port Netgear DS104 Hub
US Robotics SporsterFlash Modem
Thomson Speedtouch 330 USB Modem
CD/DVD player
CD/CDr/CDrw
SoundBlaster Live Card
Geforce 4 MX460 64MBram Graphics
17" Samsung SyncMaster 753 DFX monitor
USB Canoscan Scanner
USB Canon S300 Printer

I think there must be something up with your system!

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove ****NOSPAMPLEASE**** to Reply
"Dom Robinson" <murphyisamuppet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's not officially out until Sept 19th so I'm not expecting everyone to
have
> played this yet, but I was wondering if anyone could answer the question
as to
> why I'm getting jerkiness once per second?
>
> I have a Cybercom 1571PC with P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 128Mb GeForce4 MX440
> graphics, WinXP, and have even set the graphics elements to low detail but
> still this is happening. Is it just badly programmed in that case or is
the
> graphics card just not up to the job? It's very graphically intensive,
that's
> for sure.
>
> I previously used a PC with a similar spec, but a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9600TX
> graphics card, but the s-video output blew big chunks, but would that have
> been able to handle this game?
>
> TIA,
> --
>
> Dom Robinson   Gamertag: DVDfever      email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot
uk
> /* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
> /* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs &
news
> /* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
>   "Those who say they can, can, while those who say they can't, are
right."

---

Paul
9/5/2003 9:45:38 PM
In article <0bR5b.21304$j26.18589@lakeread02>, tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net says...
> almost sounds like something else is running in the background hogging cpu
> cycles to me.  have you disabled all of the other running software and even
> AV software as a test?

Just tried shutting a few things down, pared down some more of the graphics
options and got it running fine (Norton AV 2003 still running though).

Then I upped the graphics options bit by bit up to full strength and then it
still worked fine.

Then I got blasted to death, several times over, by some green blokes. I'll
try and find out what's going on first before I play it again though. There's
no manual accompanying it for me to RTFM with :)
--

Dom Robinson	  Gamertag: DVDfever      email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
/* 940 DVDs, 259 games, 33 videos, 67 cinema films, 69 CDs, laserdiscs & news
/* star trek nemesis, bringing down the house, phone booth, human nature
  "Those who say they can, can, while those who say they can't, are right."
0
Dom
9/5/2003 9:47:17 PM
In article <0bR5b.21304$j26.18589@lakeread02>, tgeery-NOSPAM-@cox.net says...
> almost sounds like something else is running in the background hogging cpu
> cycles to me.  have you disabled all of the other running software and even
> AV software as a test?

Just tried shutting a few things down, pared down some more of the graphics
options and got it running fine (Norton AV 2003 still running though).

Then I upped the graphics options bit by bit up to full strength and then it
still worked fine.

Then I got blasted to death, several times over, by some green blokes. I'll
try and find out what's going on first before I play it again though. There's
no manual accompanying it for me to RTFM with :)

Forgot to add, ta for all the input on this one.