Baldur's Gate EE #2

Upgraded to Win 10 Pro.

Have not been able to get BGEE(from Beamdog) to run; tried compatibility
mode for both Win7 & Win8; disabled scaling; Open AL still on my PC
after the upgrade; can't get the launcher to budge. Can play BG II EE
however;went to forum; only a couple of suggestions that I already tried

Has anyone gotten BGEE to run? Thanks.

D.
0
DMP
2/13/2016 1:51:12 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg 10727 articles. 0 followers. jonahnynla (1774) is leader. Post Follow

Are you seeing any Error message ?
Does it start up all ?
or does the launcher not even appear ?
@@@Mouse@@@
0
Trimble
2/13/2016 1:01:01 AM
DMP <DMP@mungemaid.com> wrote in news:n9nc74$4s5$1@dont-email.me:

> Downgraded to Win 10 Pro.

I'd say that's your main problem right there.

If you are able to, go back to your older (and, frankly, far better)
version of Windows because this current 'version' is far from being user
friendly.

(As if M$ didn't have *enough* to answer for) >_<
0
Warewolf
2/13/2016 5:58:25 PM
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 08:51:12 -0500, DMP <DMP@mungemaid.com> wrote:

>Upgraded to Win 10 Pro.
>
>Have not been able to get BGEE(from Beamdog) to run; tried compatibility
>mode for both Win7 & Win8; disabled scaling; Open AL still on my PC
>after the upgrade; can't get the launcher to budge. Can play BG II EE
>however;went to forum; only a couple of suggestions that I already tried
>
>Has anyone gotten BGEE to run? Thanks.

Some folks have been able to run it without problems on Windows 10,
others seem to have had trouble with Open AL, possible solution at
this link.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/257350/discussions/0/541907675755948205/

I've upgraded no less than 8 systems to Windows 10 from Win7 and about
the only thing I've ever seen not go swimmingly is typically audio
driver related.  Creative drivers are notorious for this.  It usually
turns out to be something very simple, like reinstalling the driver,
telling Windows which version of the driver to use, etc.

Audio driver is almost certainly your culprit.
0
Rin
2/13/2016 7:14:33 PM
On 2/13/2016 12:02 PM, Trimble Bracegirdle wrote:
> Are you seeing any Error message ?
> Does it start up all ?
> or does the launcher not even appear ?
> @@@Mouse@@@

I'll reply to all here.....The game didn't start at all; couple of spins
of the blue circle thingie and nothing. No error messages and no
launcher appeared.

I tried all the compatibility settings in properties with scaling both
on and off. Still no start. I don't have a Creative Labs sound card, but
just use sound from the motherboard with Real-tek drivers.

Put it all back to original settings; did a few unrelated things with
the PC and updates and stuff requiring a couple more reboots then I
already had done trying to get it to work. Clicked on it a few minutes
ago and its now working. Go figure. Thanks for your replies.
0
DMP
2/13/2016 10:05:04 PM
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 17:05:04 -0500, DMP <DMP@mungemaid.com> wrote:

>I tried all the compatibility settings in properties with scaling both
>on and off. Still no start. I don't have a Creative Labs sound card, but
>just use sound from the motherboard with Real-tek drivers.

Just as an FYI, I mentioned Creative because they took over the OpenAL
project from another developer as an open standards project.  It's a
cross platform driver, and you don't have to use a Creative brand card
to use OpenAL.

Also when I said Creative drivers are notorious for this, I wasn't
necessarily picking on them as a company.  The problem is that because
Windows is designed to work with a gazillion different audio interface
hardware possibilities, there are a lot of things that can go wrong
with regards to gaming.  If Microsoft went the way of Apple, and made
their software runnable only on their own hardware, this sort of audio
driver snafu would go largely away because it removes driver
configuration differences as a potential source of issue.

Sometimes Windows works itself out with regard to audio config issues
with a few reboots, installs, etc.  Sounds like this might be what
happened for you.  Glad its working now.

0
Rin
2/13/2016 11:03:55 PM
On 2/13/2016 3:03 PM, Rin Stowleigh wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 17:05:04 -0500, DMP <DMP@mungemaid.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried all the compatibility settings in properties with scaling both
>> on and off. Still no start. I don't have a Creative Labs sound card, but
>> just use sound from the motherboard with Real-tek drivers.
>
> Just as an FYI, I mentioned Creative because they took over the OpenAL
> project from another developer as an open standards project.  It's a
> cross platform driver, and you don't have to use a Creative brand card
> to use OpenAL.
>
> Also when I said Creative drivers are notorious for this, I wasn't
> necessarily picking on them as a company.  The problem is that because
> Windows is designed to work with a gazillion different audio interface
> hardware possibilities, there are a lot of things that can go wrong
> with regards to gaming.  If Microsoft went the way of Apple, and made
> their software runnable only on their own hardware, this sort of audio
> driver snafu would go largely away because it removes driver
> configuration differences as a potential source of issue.

This is what Microsoft is doing with WX.  I don't have a URL for the
press release but they have announced that WX will not be fully
supported unless it is being running on certain hardware.

(Of course they waited until WX had been forcefully installed on
millions of "non-compatible" machines....)

--
Now the Force-Ghost of DTravel since he was forced by shame to commit
hara-kiri with a dull light-spork after liking the Abrams/Bad Robot Star
wrote:

>DMP <DMP@mungemaid.com> wrote in news:n9nc74$4s5$1@dont-email.me:
>
>> Downgraded to Win 10 Pro.
>
>I'd say that's your main problem right there.

Well, I'm glad somebody said it; I didn't want to be the first ;-)

Not that I'd entirely blame Windows 10 there; many games are developed
for specific Operating Systems and have problems with later versions.
It's the nature of the beast and Microsoft has gone to amazing lengths
to maintain backwards compatibility. Unfortunately, games are often
the biggest loser in the process. I mean, just the changes to the
drivers can cause all sorts of problems.

Win7 is still the defacto platform for many developers. Using anything
else - especially for games developed in the last five years or so -
is just asking for extra headaches.

0
Spalls
2/14/2016 2:39:53 PM
On 2/14/2016 9:39 AM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 17:58:25 GMT, Warewolf <warewolfmypants@shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> DMP <DMP@mungemaid.com> wrote in news:n9nc74$4s5$1@dont-email.me:
>>
>>> Downgraded to Win 10 Pro.
>>
>> I'd say that's your main problem right there.
>>
> Well, I'm glad somebody said it; I didn't want to be the first ;-)
>
> Not that I'd entirely blame Windows 10 there; many games are developed
> for specific Operating Systems and have problems with later versions.
> It's the nature of the beast and Microsoft has gone to amazing lengths
> to maintain backwards compatibility. Unfortunately, games are often
> the biggest loser in the process. I mean, just the changes to the
> drivers can cause all sorts of problems.
>
> Win7 is still the defacto platform for many developers. Using anything
> else - especially for games developed in the last five years or so -
> is just asking for extra headaches.

I played with it for months on my laptop; didn't mind it much and I
don't mind it much now. The Win10 install went off w/o a hitch on two
PC's;Turned off all the locator and phone home stuff and using a local
account. I don't sync anything either.

Actually, the thing is pretty speedy booting up/shutting down and I've
had no issues whatsoever with the games I have on my PC. They all run
very well.

The only thing that gave me a real headache was my Saitek Cyborg
keyboard that I was able to fix. Maybe I'm the party of one here, an OS
is an OS is an OS. It runs when I turn it on, doesn't BSOD me and it's
just Win7/8/8.1 in a little fancier dress.

Diane

PS I wish there was more chatter here
0
DMP
2/14/2016 4:40:36 PM
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 20:29:27 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 2/13/2016 3:03 PM, Rin Stowleigh wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 17:05:04 -0500, DMP <DMP@mungemaid.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I tried all the compatibility settings in properties with scaling both
>>> on and off. Still no start. I don't have a Creative Labs sound card, but
>>> just use sound from the motherboard with Real-tek drivers.
>>
>> Just as an FYI, I mentioned Creative because they took over the OpenAL
>> project from another developer as an open standards project.  It's a
>> cross platform driver, and you don't have to use a Creative brand card
>> to use OpenAL.
>>
>> Also when I said Creative drivers are notorious for this, I wasn't
>> necessarily picking on them as a company.  The problem is that because
>> Windows is designed to work with a gazillion different audio interface
>> hardware possibilities, there are a lot of things that can go wrong
>> with regards to gaming.  If Microsoft went the way of Apple, and made
>> their software runnable only on their own hardware, this sort of audio
>> driver snafu would go largely away because it removes driver
>> configuration differences as a potential source of issue.
>>
>This is what Microsoft is doing with WX.  I don't have a URL for the
>press release but they have announced that WX will not be fully
>supported unless it is being running on certain hardware.
>
>(Of course they waited until WX had been forcefully installed on
>millions of "non-compatible" machines....)

Umm..  There is a massive difference between saying "ok, here are the
tens of thousands or so of compatible devices" and saying "our OS will
only run on hardware we sell you".
0
Rin
2/14/2016 5:06:46 PM
On 2/14/2016 9:06 AM, Rin Stowleigh wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 20:29:27 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Just as an FYI, I mentioned Creative because they took over the OpenAL
>>> project from another developer as an open standards project.  It's a
>>> cross platform driver, and you don't have to use a Creative brand card
>>> to use OpenAL.
>>>
>>> Also when I said Creative drivers are notorious for this, I wasn't
>>> necessarily picking on them as a company.  The problem is that because
>>> Windows is designed to work with a gazillion different audio interface
>>> hardware possibilities, there are a lot of things that can go wrong
>>> with regards to gaming.  If Microsoft went the way of Apple, and made
>>> their software runnable only on their own hardware, this sort of audio
>>> driver snafu would go largely away because it removes driver
>>> configuration differences as a potential source of issue.
>>>
>> This is what Microsoft is doing with WX.  I don't have a URL for the
>> press release but they have announced that WX will not be fully
>> supported unless it is being running on certain hardware.
>>
>> (Of course they waited until WX had been forcefully installed on
>> millions of "non-compatible" machines....)
>
> Umm..  There is a massive difference between saying "ok, here are the
> tens of thousands or so of compatible devices" and saying "our OS will
> only run on hardware we sell you".

Their press release says the list is not exhaustive and more may be
added to it.  At the moment MS' list of compatible devices is:
Intel Skylake chips.
End of list.

MS has a history of deliberately writing code that is not 100%
compatible with the standards agreed upon by everyone else so that their
in-house products run better on Windows than anything anyone else can
make.  This is just an extension of that policy.

--
Now the Force-Ghost of DTravel since he was forced by shame to commit
hara-kiri with a dull light-spork after liking the Abrams/Bad Robot Star
Wars movie.
0
Dimensional
2/14/2016 9:46:58 PM
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 13:46:58 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 2/14/2016 9:06 AM, Rin Stowleigh wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 20:29:27 -0800, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> This is what Microsoft is doing with WX.  I don't have a URL for the
>>> press release but they have announced that WX will not be fully
>>> supported unless it is being running on certain hardware.
>>>
>>> (Of course they waited until WX had been forcefully installed on
>>> millions of "non-compatible" machines....)
>>
>> Umm..  There is a massive difference between saying "ok, here are the
>> tens of thousands or so of compatible devices" and saying "our OS will
>> only run on hardware we sell you".
>>
>Their press release says the list is not exhaustive and more may be
>added to it.  At the moment MS' list of compatible devices is:
>Intel Skylake chips.
>End of list.
>
>MS has a history of deliberately writing code that is not 100%
>compatible with the standards agreed upon by everyone else so that their
>in-house products run better on Windows than anything anyone else can
>make.  This is just an extension of that policy.

Every for-profit manufacturer of any sort of integrated product,
whether software, or anything else, deliberately takes steps to make
sure their products work better together than with competitors
products.  It's called the pursuit of competitive advantage.  We do
not live in a communist society where everyone has an obligation to
code to the lowest common denominator.

Anyone who has been involved in the creation of this type of product
knows that there is another reason for this.  It is not cost-feasible
to test every possible third-party vendors stuff with your own stuff.
It is up to the third party vendor to make sure they are compliant
with the marketshare leader.

If a group of hippies wants to march off and create their own
standards committee, they are free to do so, but it means fuck all if
they end up falling flat on their asses when they try to get their
shitty products to take off and fail to get market share.

Now, that said, Microsoft for years has pumped millions upon millions
into the WHQL initiative to wipe the asses of these third parties,
making it easier for them to ensure compliance.  The only thing they
haven't done thus far is twist people's arm.  The result of not arm
twisting is that people bitch about how Apple doesn't have driver
problems, yada yada.  Hell, Apple re-invents their cablilng technology
every couple of years to make sure you buy a new device. So Microsoft
is doing what they need to do in order to achieve Apple-like
reliability.

Microsoft made Office documents an open-standard, but people still
don't use the shitty rip off apps, because they aren't as good. They
go to great pains to make sure Office works just as well on Mac OS X,
because otherwise the operating system that has the second best
marketshare would not have to settle for shitty Open Office and such.

A lot of people don't realize that in the big scheme of things,
notwithstanding OEM licenses that PC vendors pay for, Microsoft does
not make much of their total revenue off individual Windows copies.

Therefore this notion of forcing Windows 10 on people as a money
making ploy is about as foolish as the individuals that propagate the
idea.

Rin

Selling:Serious Sam 2 (PC),Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2K6 (PC), Half Life 2 (PC)
Selling: *Fear:Director�s Cut Edition (PC-DVD) *Myst 5 End of Ages Limited Edition (PC)(PC-DVD) *Call of Duty 2 (PC) *Serious Sam 2 (PC) *Cabela�s Big Game Hunter 2006 (PC) *Half Life 2 (PC) �all DVDs,CDs and all materials in boxes are as they came originally:mint. Opened boxes,but everything that was in the game boxes is there now,everything in new-condition,CDs/DVDs are flawless��no scratches on CDs or DVDs whatsoever. Fear is brand new,and probably the most original FPS ever. VERY scary game. Director�s Edition includes comic book and extra DVDs with extra content and com...

FS:Serious Sam 2 (PC)<Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2K6(PC)<Half Life 2 (PC)
Selling Serious Sam 2 (PC),Half Life 2 (PC) and Cabela�s Big Game Hunter 2006 (PC)�all CDs and all materials in boxes as they came originally. Opened boxes on both,but everything that was in the game boxes is there now,everything in new-condition,CDs are flawless��no scratches on CDs whatsoever. Serious Sam 2 is brand new, in stores not for $20;I�d sell it for $13 delivered (not a bad deal considering it costs a couple of bucks to ship these games). BGH 2006 is also brand new,in stores now for $20,I'd sell it for $11 delivered including safe,secure S/H). HL2 is about a year...

Images look differnt on Mac's and PC's. Gamma 1.8 or 2.2 on PC HELP
Hi Could someone tell me the best way to set up or calibrate my PC at home to my mac at work as there always seams to have a difference in colour and also brightness and contrast even though I have calibrated them both, using an Eye One. The only difference I have notice when calibrating is my Mac works with a Gamma of 1.8 vs the PC at 2.2. Should I set my PC at home at 1.8 as well. Thanks In article <1107775187.029106.216030@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, neworder7@hotmail.com says... > Hi Could someone tell me the best way to set up or calibrate my PC at > home to my mac at w...

FA: [ebay UK] Roleplaying PC Games. Baldur's Gate II, Final Fantasy, Myst, Riven, Diablo
For auction, ebay UK - PC roleplaying style games - selling them all off as I no longer use my PC for games! All start at �0.99 - auctions end 28th January 2004 Full original boxed games - No Reserve -- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn - Collectors Edition (Forgotten Realms AD&D) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072724989&category=11050 Final Fantasy VII http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072724071&category=11050 Ages of Myst - Mist and Riven - 5th Anniversary Edition http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3...

How can I network 3 Windows PC's and 2 Linux PC's?
I have three Winodws running PC's(Win 2K, XP), I downloaded lot of freely available programs (anti-virus and some other installable programs) and stored on one PC. I want to install the same programs on other Windows PC's, How can I access it. All are on the local LAN. I can ping each PC from any of the machine. The same way can I access the files on my Wiondows PC from Linux PC and viceversa?. How can I do that?. Please let me know. If I access my PC where I stored all of my programs from another PC, it will be very quick to install. Also I need to access some files across PC&...

FA:Lots of IBM WIN/PC Games (24-Hrs left on some): King's Quest, Infocom, Tomb Raider 1-4, Myst 1-2, Archon Ultra, etc
** ONLY 24 HOURS LEFT ON SOME OF THESE GAMES - SEE DETAILS BELOW ** We have Lots of IBM PC Windows/DOS Games from Old to New on Ebay. To check them ALL out, please click on the URL Link below: http://members.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=downeasttreasures All Auctions have NO Reserve, Low Starting Bids, and Clear Pictures (there are anywhere from 1-12 Pictures per Auction). It just doesn't get any better than this. Take a look and check them out before it's too late. Enjoy the Auctions and bid now before you forget to do it. There are currently...

PC Gaming Almost Dead -AGAIN- So................ PC Industry Consortium to announce 'PC Gaming Alliance' to save PC gaming
Takahashi: Gaming Alliance stumps for PC By Dean Takahashi Mercury News 02/12/2008 The personal computer game industry has trailed behind its console brethren in recent years as easy-to-play games on the Nintendo Wii or online games on the Xbox 360 have stolen the excitement. Companies with a vested interest in keeping the PC alive as a gaming platform will soon announce a consortium dubbed the PC Gaming Alliance. According to two people familiar with the effort, it will include top industry players such as Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices as well as a number of computer ...

Baldur's Gate EE
Trailer up on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=86NLGVQ6Iaw ...

What's Running on a Googler's PC? #2
Just found a site...I think it's about google pack, right? I found it very helpful though, but I hated the antivirus one, why can't they make it free? O, btw, anyone knows any free antivirus softwares? http://tt.pack.googlepages.com/ ...

Problem with Baldur's Gate on fast cpu's?
I never did get far into BG so reinstalled it yesterday and patched it up to the latest version (DX8 fix too). But now there is an issue with the bottom bar for selecting spells and formations etc. Whenever I try to select a spell or new formation it just automatically reverts back to default mode. This is on Win98SE using a P4 3.0ghz cpu and 1gb of ram. Is this a known issue with fast cpu's or maybe too much ram installed? Debug wrote: > > I never did get far into BG so reinstalled it yesterday and patched it > up to the latest version (DX8 fix too). But now there is an issue ...

Baldur's Gate 2 Bugs
I am replaying BG2 with ToB installed and am experiencing one bug and one potential bug. 1) Somewhat frequently from time to time when I try to talk to someone it tells me that the person is busy no matter how many times I click on them. If I exit the area and return then often eventually I can get them to talk to me but sometimes not. This is sometimes with shopkeepers, quest givers, etc. I didn't experience this problem the first two times I played BG2 (without ToB installed). 2) I am playing as a Bard and my song doesn't seem to affect hit probabilities from what I can tell. I...

Baldur's Gate 2 Questions
I have a some quick questions about the game. I'm planning to buy the game so that I can play over my network with my friend. 1. Will I understand the game since I didnt play the original? 2. Do I only need 1 copy of the game to play over my network? 3. Is the game really hard? (I'm a shitty gamer) 4. Should I get Diablo 2 instead? Thanks in advance for any input. Andrew Anonymous said: >I have a some quick questions about the game. I'm planning to buy the >game so that I can play over my network with my friend. > >1. Will I understand the game since I didnt play...

It's true: IBM's PC business bought by Lenovo.
Hey Everyone: Well, it happened: http://news.com.com/IBM+sells+PC+group+to+Lenovo/2100-1042_3-5482284.html?tag=st_lh http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/08/0314207&tid=136&tid=187&tid=98&tid=1 IBM's PC business has been bought out by Lenovo of China for $1.25 billion USD (Lenovo is also taking on IBM's debt). IBM is getting a 18.9% stake in Lenovo, and Lenovo gets to use the IBM and Think names for the next five years. Only time will tell what this means for OS/2 users. IBM could in theory continue to sell PCs under its brand name that...

1 to 20 with x number of 1's, 2's, 3's, ... 20's
This is probably a simple thing to do, so perhaps someone would send me in the right direction. I need to generate a list containing numbers from 1 to 20, say. But I cant just use A = 1:20, for example, because that provides me only one instance of each of the values. What I need is X instances for each value. For example, 5 ones, twos, threes, and so forth. Is there a simple command for this? Regards, Ulrik. On Sep 9, 10:52=A0am, "Ulrik Nash" <u...@sam.sdu.dk> wrote: > This is probably a simple thing to do, so perhaps someone would send me i= n the right dir...

Web resources about - Baldur's Gate EE #2 - comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg