D&D Online

I'm probably the only person in this group who didn't know and does
not care, but when I stumbled on it, I thought I might as well post it
here, just in case:
http://uk.gamesdomain.yahoo.com/preview/40900
0
mike_noren2002
9/7/2004 3:28:16 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg 10727 articles. 0 followers. jonahnynla (1774) is leader. Post Follow

Mean_Chlorine said:

>I'm probably the only person in this group who didn't know and does
>not care, but when I stumbled on it, I thought I might as well post it
>here, just in case:
>http://uk.gamesdomain.yahoo.com/preview/40900

A bad idea, IMHO.  They're competing with the NWN community, and given that
there's already plenty of MMORPGs out there (and a Blizzard one, soon enough),
the D&D MMORPG will probably fail.

--

Stephen Mackey

"Scientists tend to do philosophy about as well as you'd expect philosophers to
do science, the difference being that at least the philosophers usually *know*
when they're out of their depth."
-Jeff Heikkinen
0
strossners
9/7/2004 3:44:40 PM
A thousand monkeys banging on keyboards posted the following under the
name strossners@aol.comdiespam (Stephen Mackey):

>Mean_Chlorine said:
>

>>I'm probably the only person in this group who didn't know and does
>>not care, but when I stumbled on it, I thought I might as well post it
>>here, just in case:
>>http://uk.gamesdomain.yahoo.com/preview/40900
>
>A bad idea, IMHO.  They're competing with the NWN community, and given that
>there's already plenty of MMORPGs out there (and a Blizzard one, soon enough),
>the D&D MMORPG will probably fail.

I've heard that it is at least 66% likely to go vapor in the end
anyways. That is not a prediction, just what I've heard.

--

Evil Goblin Cleric: "But using the goblins as guinea pigs is wreaking
    havoc with goblin morale!"

- Order of the Stick #96
0
Ben
9/7/2004 3:58:59 PM
On 07 Sep 2004 15:44:40 GMT, strossners@aol.comdiespam (Stephen
Mackey) wrote:

>Mean_Chlorine said:
>

>>I'm probably the only person in this group who didn't know and does
>>not care, but when I stumbled on it, I thought I might as well post it
>>here, just in case:
>>http://uk.gamesdomain.yahoo.com/preview/40900
>
>A bad idea, IMHO.  They're competing with the NWN community, and given that
>there's already plenty of MMORPGs out there (and a Blizzard one, soon enough),
>the D&D MMORPG will probably fail.

The NWN community is as nothing compared to this, and the graphics are
- judging by the screenshots - heaps better than WoW.
D&D also, much as I loathe it, has name recognition, and may draw in a
new crowd of players.

If all goes well, it's actually ever released, the D&D component is
not totally lost in the everquestness, it does a decent job of
bringing D&D to mmorpg... well, then I give it a fair chance. The idea
isn't bad, but may be botched by the execution.
I guess we'll know in a year.

"Thank you all very much. Admiral Kelly, Captain Card, officers and sailors of
the USS Abraham Lincoln, my fellow Americans: Major combat operations in Iraq
have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed."
-- President George WMD Bush announces the end of the Iraq war. 1st of May 2003.
0
Mean_Chlorine
9/7/2004 8:29:58 PM
strossners@aol.comdiespam (Stephen Mackey) looked up from reading the
entrails of the porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs
say:

>Mean_Chlorine said:
>

>>I'm probably the only person in this group who didn't know and does
>>not care, but when I stumbled on it, I thought I might as well post it
>>here, just in case:
>>http://uk.gamesdomain.yahoo.com/preview/40900
>
>A bad idea, IMHO.  They're competing with the NWN community, and given that
>there's already plenty of MMORPGs out there (and a Blizzard one, soon enough),
>the D&D MMORPG will probably fail.

Although this bit sounds a bit interesting.

The handling of experience is one example of this focus. "Killing
skeletons doesn't raise an XP bar," elaborated Troop. "You can't just
sit in a room and kill skeletons over and over again to reach level 2."
Instead, the game will reward larger blocks of experience upon
completion of a quest or dungeon.

An MMORPG that doesn't promote or even allow the usual "Bash rats so you
can level up and bash bigger rats" routine.
If it comes out it might even survive based on that alone.

Xocyll
Xocyll
9/8/2004 2:03:56 AM
Stephen Mackey wrote:
> Mean_Chlorine said:
>>I'm probably the only person in this group who didn't know and does
>>not care, but when I stumbled on it, I thought I might as well post it
>>here, just in case:
>>http://uk.gamesdomain.yahoo.com/preview/40900
>
> A bad idea, IMHO.  They're competing with the NWN community, and given that
> there's already plenty of MMORPGs out there (and a Blizzard one, soon enough),
> the D&D MMORPG will probably fail.

Hmm, that seems a bit of a bold prediction. They've got a major
publisher (Atari), an experienced developer (Turbine Entertainment who
did Asheron's Call), and probably the biggest brand name in the world of
fantasy. I'd say that if they fail their marketing people should be
publically flogged.

That article says "release date 01/01/2005", but it also said "..with a
year of development yet to go", so who knows when it will be launched? I
can't imagine that they'd have too much trouble luring a bunch of people
into checking it out - whether it achieves ongoing success may depend on
whether or not it's fun to play.

Cheers!
David...
0
David
9/8/2004 2:21:58 AM
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:03:56 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>strossners@aol.comdiespam (Stephen Mackey) looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>Mean_Chlorine said:
>>

>>>I'm probably the only person in this group who didn't know and does
>>>not care, but when I stumbled on it, I thought I might as well post it
>>>here, just in case:
>>>http://uk.gamesdomain.yahoo.com/preview/40900
>>
>>A bad idea, IMHO.  They're competing with the NWN community, and given that
>>there's already plenty of MMORPGs out there (and a Blizzard one, soon enough),
>>the D&D MMORPG will probably fail.

When so many of the other MMORPGs are described disdainfully as
EQ-clones, their presence alone isn't enough to make predictions of
failure for new ones.  And NWN, as much as I like it, isn't an MMORPG.
Even Bioware admits that it isn't geared to support that level.

>Although this bit sounds a bit interesting.
>
>The handling of experience is one example of this focus. "Killing
>skeletons doesn't raise an XP bar," elaborated Troop. "You can't just
>sit in a room and kill skeletons over and over again to reach level 2."
>Instead, the game will reward larger blocks of experience upon
>completion of a quest or dungeon.

That's been done to some extent with NWN.  Still, setting it as the
default system from the start would be a step forward for MORPGs.

My first concern, after coming off the abandonware thread, was whether
or not it's stepping on the toes of any license or copyright holders.
But ATARI is publishing it, and they *are* a license holder.

>An MMORPG that doesn't promote or even allow the usual "Bash rats so you
>can level up and bash bigger rats" routine.

It's a step up, for sure, but "clear noobdungone so you can level up
and clear xpnoobdungoeon" doesn't seem a *huge* step.  I could be
wrong, though; in practice, the delay in gratification may be enough
to set a whole different tone.

--
You can't claim the moral highground
By sinking to your enemy's level.
"Mean_Chlorine" <mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm probably the only person in this group who didn't know and does
> not care, but when I stumbled on it, I thought I might as well post it
> here, just in case:
> http://uk.gamesdomain.yahoo.com/preview/40900

This looks great, but dammit, I may need to start paying for broadband
again.  Having read the article though, there's no reason why there can't be
an offline version of the game, playable out of the box, with the online
space being chargeable but allowing teamwork.

I guess stopping hacks and cheats is one motivator, but adding offline
capability would make this a must-buy.

Andy

0
Andy
9/8/2004 12:43:14 PM
Check out this month's PC Gamer for an extended preview. It's nickname is
"Extreme D&D" (laugh).

Jonah Falcon

0
Jonah
9/8/2004 6:40:18 PM
"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Check out this month's PC Gamer for an extended preview. It's nickname is
> "Extreme D&D" (laugh).
>
> Jonah Falcon

Is that the UK version of the magazine?  Given how many characters I get
through with pen and paper D&D I guess it would need to be even more deadly
to qualify as Extreme...  Let's hope it's just a name!

Andy

0
Andy
9/9/2004 10:21:22 AM
First Prophet of Kaos <kaos@ecn.ab.ca> looked up from reading the
entrails of the porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs
say:

>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:03:56 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>wrote:
<snip>
>>An MMORPG that doesn't promote or even allow the usual "Bash rats so you
>>can level up and bash bigger rats" routine.
>
>It's a step up, for sure, but "clear noobdungone so you can level up
>and clear xpnoobdungoeon" doesn't seem a *huge* step.  I could be
>wrong, though; in practice, the delay in gratification may be enough
>to set a whole different tone.

Well it would be different in at least one way.

You wouldn't level up mid mission, you'd have to wait till it was done
before you got the exp and made level.

This alone would help somewhat for grouping since you wouldn't have
people making level then screwing off mid mission.

Would hopefully screw up the power level types as well since they
couldn't just "bash rats" at an accelerated rate somewhere and level up
massively, they'd have to complete the dungeons.
[IE in COH the PL types street hunt since they make more exp in any
given time period than they would doing missions.  They wouldn't advance
nearly as fast if the only way to earn exp was doing missions.]

Xocyll
Xocyll
9/11/2004 7:46:19 AM
On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:46:19 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>First Prophet of Kaos <kaos@ecn.ab.ca> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:03:56 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>>wrote:
><snip>
>>>An MMORPG that doesn't promote or even allow the usual "Bash rats so you
>>>can level up and bash bigger rats" routine.
>>
>>It's a step up, for sure, but "clear noobdungone so you can level up
>>and clear xpnoobdungoeon" doesn't seem a *huge* step.  I could be
>>wrong, though; in practice, the delay in gratification may be enough
>>to set a whole different tone.
>
>Well it would be different in at least one way.
>
>You wouldn't level up mid mission, you'd have to wait till it was done
>before you got the exp and made level.

That would be the 'delayed gratification' I mentioned.

>Would hopefully screw up the power level types as well since they
>couldn't just "bash rats" at an accelerated rate somewhere and level up
>massively, they'd have to complete the dungeons.

Aye, but then the number-crunchers among them would focus on figuring
out which dungeons/missions give the best bang for your minute.  The
knowledge-leeches would just take the numbers and run.  Assuming, of
course, that the delayed gratification feature hasn't driven them off.