Don't you feel bad when you don't finish up a game??

I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
games you buy do you guys finish???????

Apostolos
0
am59
2/15/2004 10:38:31 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg 10727 articles. 0 followers. jonahnynla (1774) is leader. Post Follow

On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:

>I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
>are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
>fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
>because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
>in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
>finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
>since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
>feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
>I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
>I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
>other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
>games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
>Apostolos

I would hate to figure that out. It is certainly less than 10%.
0
Simpilot
2/16/2004 12:21:34 AM
Simpilot schrieb:
> On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:
> >other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> >games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> I would hate to figure that out. It is certainly less than 10%.

Same here.

The percentage of books or movies I don't finish is far smaller, mainly
because it normally takes only up to 4 hours to finish one.

mendel
--
Feel the stare of my burning hamster and stop smoking!
0
am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) writes:

> I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.

I almost always finish games if I get started with them.  Mostly
because I feel it's a waste of money to just give up.  If it's just a
matter of tedium, or a bad story line, I'll just continue.  However,
I've run across games where the game play is just beyond me, and I
just want to throw in the towel rather than agonize over it.

Ie, I couldn't play X-Wing fighter well enough to get past the
training levels :-)  I couldn't get the hang of Heroes of Might and
Magic 2's strategy.  And I've got Prisoner of War just lying around
because it's too damned annoying to play because its clock is too
fast to allow proper sneaking around.

--
Darin Johnson
    Laziness is the father of invention
"Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> Apostolos

It's hard for me to say how many of the games I buy actually get finished.
Of the games that do have an ending to them, I'd say that I maybe finish 1
out of every 3 games that I buy.  I don't know why it's so low.  I guess in
some cases I come across a really hard part and get discouraged, or
sometimes I buy more games than I can realistically get through in a timely
manner and some titles get forgotten about.  Other times it's a case of
where I get to upgrading my hardware and find out that some older stuff
doesn't like the new gear.  Finally, as you suggest, sometimes a particular
game isn't very good or outright sucks.

Do I feel guilty about not finishing more games than I do?  In a way, yes.
I wish I had more motivation to get through more of my games.  At the same
time, most of my stuff comes out of the bargain bin where the losses are
smaller and I can't feel too bad about not finishing some games.  Sometimes
though, I'm quite happy to buy a game just for it's skirmish mode.  For
example, I bought Soldier of Fortune 2 Gold and am happy simply playing the
Random Mission Generator.  Even if I don't play the campaign mode, I still
feel I got my money's worth just from playing the random missions.  Red
Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge were also two games where I played the skirmish
mode for the longest time before I even attempted the campaigns.

0
NightSky
2/16/2004 1:55:37 AM
"Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????

To me a game isn't finished until I go ahead and either throw the disks away
or get rid of the computer to run it. I haven't done much of either, I can
still run just about every game I have ever bought.

I have played games all the way thru the built in campaign, then the treat
is playing vs other humans in h2h play or random scenarios. I don't know if
I have ever felt that I was totally done with any game. Some like Star
control 3 were installed and deinstalled several times as I built up
frustration playing it, only to try again later when I wanted to go ahead
and give it another try.

The games that stay on my computer (despite having played thru all the way)
are DiabloII, Halflife, SPWAW, VGAP, Starcraft, TA, and Red Alert.

0
john
2/16/2004 3:28:26 AM
On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:

>What percentage of the
>games you buy do you guys finish???????

Under 25%.
0
freshie
2/16/2004 4:31:41 AM
"Michael Mendelsohn" <keine.Werbung.1300@michael.mendelsohn.de> wrote in
message news:40301137.CA02AE46@michael.mendelsohn.de...
> Simpilot schrieb:
> > On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:
> > >other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> > >games you buy do you guys finish???????
> >
> > I would hate to figure that out. It is certainly less than 10%.
>
> Same here.
>
> The percentage of books or movies I don't finish is far smaller, mainly
> because it normally takes only up to 4 hours to finish one.
>
> mendel
> --
> Feel the stare of my burning hamster and stop smoking!

I'd say I've finish about 1 out of 25 games that I own. My problem is that I
almost always buy my games super cheap and I just can't resist when I see a
game for $5 (I just picked up Age of Mythology for $5 last weekend) So I buy
around 10-15 games a month. A game has to be very interesting for me to
finish.
  The last few games I have finished are Alice, NOLF 1&2, RTCW, DeusEx 1,
System Shock 2, HL and AvsP2. There's more but that's all I can remember off
the top of my head. I'm currently playing Gothic 1, KOTOR, and NWN. I know
I'll finish Gothic because it's the best game I've played in years. I've
never had so much fun playing a game like this. The last time I was so drawn
in was playing DeusEx. They both have a lot in common in the fact that they
have so many different ways you can accomplish your goal.
 Also I'm always looking for the next "got to play game" meaning that I'm
never really happy with what I have and I'm always looking for a better
game. I'm now looking to buy Rise of Nations because I've been reading so
many great things about it.
  And last, my biggest problem is that I think that a lot of today's games
are just to hard to finish. I've been playing games since the 2600 days yet
a lot of the games I own just kick my butt so much I either resort to
cheating or just giving up. I don't know how many times I'll be loving a
game and I'm on like the 4th level and then BAM! the game goes from really
fun to just plan frustration all in one levels time. Freedom Force comes to
mind right away. I was loving that game, and then just like that it got
ridiculously hard. I gave up and haven't been back since.
 So yes I do at times feel bad that I don't finishing my games,but then I
just go out and buy a few more to make myself feel better :)
JLC

0
JLC
2/16/2004 5:00:11 AM
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> Apostolos

Hi,

I am in the same boat as you are -> too many unfinished games.
I didn't finish a game mostly because of:

1) Not much time for game (couple of hours per day most).
2) Not because the game is hard, but because of major bugs or
something really wrong with the game play or controls.
3) Been there, done that -> same old thing without new interesting
scenarios.

Right now I am on a strict "game-purchase" diet and try to finish most
of the back-log of games (recent and old games).  I just finished
Vietcong last month and (LOL) just finished SHOGO yesterday.  Today I
try "hard" to play and try "hard" to like Hidden & Dangerous (deluxe
version - I got the retailed version years ago ...) but still couldn't
get over the ackward control scheme. Perhaps I will try to finish
Unreal and most of the games during that era.

Cheer.
0
Phil_12345
2/16/2004 5:19:35 AM
In news:ab57986.0402152119.56627162@posting.google.com,
Phil <Phil_12345@hotmail.com> Quoth The Raven:
>> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
>> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
>> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
>> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
>> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
>> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
>> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
>> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait
>> until I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this
>> newsgroup.  But I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I
>> reall like, the other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What
>> percentage of the games you buy do you guys finish???????
>>
>> Apostolos
>

> Hi,
>
> I am in the same boat as you are -> too many unfinished games.
> I didn't finish a game mostly because of:
>
> 1) Not much time for game (couple of hours per day most).
> 2) Not because the game is hard, but because of major bugs or
> something really wrong with the game play or controls.
> 3) Been there, done that -> same old thing without new interesting
> scenarios.
>
> Right now I am on a strict "game-purchase" diet and try to finish most
> of the back-log of games (recent and old games).  I just finished
> Vietcong last month and (LOL) just finished SHOGO yesterday.  Today I
> try "hard" to play and try "hard" to like Hidden & Dangerous (deluxe
> version - I got the retailed version years ago ...) but still couldn't
> get over the ackward control scheme. Perhaps I will try to finish
> Unreal and most of the games during that era.
>
> Cheer.

I haven't even installed NOLF2 or MW4:mercs,, Tron2 is installed but I
haven't been able to run it after all this time, AVP2 got removed for space,
BG2 got binned (only way to shut boo lover up), NSF:U seemed boring right
from the start, morrowind:tribunal got dumped, and finally, I never even
installed the original Unreal or any of the expansions I bought along the
way.

--
 Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot

Take out the CUSSIN to reply to me

0
Highlandish
2/16/2004 5:32:44 AM
In news:c0pklc$19q5dt$1@ID-140307.news.uni-berlin.de,
Highlandish <ckreskay_cussin@dodo.com.au> Quoth The Raven:

> I haven't even installed NOLF2 or MW4:mercs,, Tron2 is installed but I
> haven't been able to run it after all this time, AVP2 got removed for
> space, BG2 got binned (only way to shut boo lover up), NSF:U seemed
> boring right from the start, morrowind:tribunal got dumped, and
> finally, I never even installed the original Unreal or any of the
> expansions I bought along the way.

I forgot, spiderman, matrix, red faction2 were dumped also.

--
 Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Take out the CUSSIN to reply to me

0
Highlandish
2/16/2004 5:34:43 AM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:32:44 +1100, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_cussin@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>In news:ab57986.0402152119.56627162@posting.google.com,
>Phil <Phil_12345@hotmail.com> Quoth The Raven:
>>> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
>>> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
>>> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
>>> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
>>> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
>>> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
>>> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
>>> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait
>>> until I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this
>>> newsgroup.  But I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I
>>> reall like, the other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What
>>> percentage of the games you buy do you guys finish???????
>>>
>>> Apostolos
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am in the same boat as you are -> too many unfinished games.
>> I didn't finish a game mostly because of:
>>
>> 1) Not much time for game (couple of hours per day most).
>> 2) Not because the game is hard, but because of major bugs or
>> something really wrong with the game play or controls.
>> 3) Been there, done that -> same old thing without new interesting
>> scenarios.
>>
>> Right now I am on a strict "game-purchase" diet and try to finish most
>> of the back-log of games (recent and old games).  I just finished
>> Vietcong last month and (LOL) just finished SHOGO yesterday.  Today I
>> try "hard" to play and try "hard" to like Hidden & Dangerous (deluxe
>> version - I got the retailed version years ago ...) but still couldn't
>> get over the ackward control scheme. Perhaps I will try to finish
>> Unreal and most of the games during that era.
>>
>> Cheer.
>
>I haven't even installed NOLF2 or MW4:mercs,, Tron2 is installed but I
>haven't been able to run it after all this time, AVP2 got removed for space,
>BG2 got binned (only way to shut boo lover up), NSF:U seemed boring right
>from the start, morrowind:tribunal got dumped, and finally, I never even
>installed the original Unreal or any of the expansions I bought along the
>way.

Used to be, when I first started PC gaming many years ago I'd only
play one game at a time(and usually that being a RPG).  When I
finished it I'd buy another.  Now though, I find I have about 10 games
unfinished currently installed on my hard drive...with 3 or 4 more
I've yet to play that I haven't even installed yet.  Just seems games
today can't hold my attention like games of old did....which I
attribute to the astonishing lack of depth most new games have due to
their focus on making a game look pretty now.

I keep telling myself "No more new games!" til I finish the pile of
half finished ones I already have.  I just don't listen to myself very
well and pick up more.  A few years ago I was able to say I had
finished/beat every game I had ever played.  Can't come close to
making that claim now.

Steven

0
Steven
2/16/2004 6:41:52 AM
In news:58p0301jc2la424ctmlqk2ga41fbn9dl99@4ax.com,
Steven <silt@budweiser.com> Quoth The Raven:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:32:44 +1100, "Highlandish"
> <ckreskay_cussin@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> In news:ab57986.0402152119.56627162@posting.google.com,
>> Phil <Phil_12345@hotmail.com> Quoth The Raven:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am in the same boat as you are -> too many unfinished games.
>>> I didn't finish a game mostly because of:
>>>
>>> 1) Not much time for game (couple of hours per day most).
>>> 2) Not because the game is hard, but because of major bugs or
>>> something really wrong with the game play or controls.
>>> 3) Been there, done that -> same old thing without new interesting
>>> scenarios.
>>>
>>> Right now I am on a strict "game-purchase" diet and try to finish
>>> most of the back-log of games (recent and old games).  I just
>>> finished Vietcong last month and (LOL) just finished SHOGO
>>> yesterday.  Today I try "hard" to play and try "hard" to like
>>> Hidden & Dangerous (deluxe version - I got the retailed version
>>> years ago ...) but still couldn't get over the ackward control
>>> scheme. Perhaps I will try to finish Unreal and most of the games
>>> during that era.
>>>
>>> Cheer.
>>
>> I haven't even installed NOLF2 or MW4:mercs,, Tron2 is installed but
>> I haven't been able to run it after all this time, AVP2 got removed
>> for space, BG2 got binned (only way to shut boo lover up), NSF:U
>> seemed boring right from the start, morrowind:tribunal got dumped,
>> and finally, I never even installed the original Unreal or any of
>> the expansions I bought along the way.
>

> Used to be, when I first started PC gaming many years ago I'd only
> play one game at a time(and usually that being a RPG).  When I
> finished it I'd buy another.  Now though, I find I have about 10 games
> unfinished currently installed on my hard drive...with 3 or 4 more
> I've yet to play that I haven't even installed yet.  Just seems games
> today can't hold my attention like games of old did....which I
> attribute to the astonishing lack of depth most new games have due to
> their focus on making a game look pretty now.
>
> I keep telling myself "No more new games!" til I finish the pile of
> half finished ones I already have.  I just don't listen to myself very
> well and pick up more.  A few years ago I was able to say I had
> finished/beat every game I had ever played.  Can't come close to
> making that claim now.
>

> Steven

I have been buying up/downloading anything my pcpowerplay magazine tells me
to with a score over 90%. Hostile Waters for instance. I have had it so long
now, I reckon it might be too dated to play. I like my games to have better
graphics than the last game I play.

--
 Living in a vacuum sucks.

Take out the CUSSIN to reply to me

0
Highlandish
2/16/2004 7:12:51 AM
"Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????

In the before-time, I bought almost every game that turned my head so I have
quite few old unplayed ones sitting on the shelf. These days, I try very
hard to finish games I install and install every game I buy. I have yet to
finish Morrowind but it's made the trip from USA to Denmark across four
different computers and I /will/ finish it, damn it! I also have Tribunal
installed and Bloodmoon waiting in the wings. I'm coming to the end of (I
think) Divine Divinity but only after revisiting it following a long line of
distractions. After hearing some positive feedback on them, I would really
like to try the Baldur's Gate games. My husband has them lying around here
somewhere, I just to install them. Those may have to wait since I have
Splinter Cell already installed and haven't even looked at it yet. AND... I
just got a new soundcard so the Raven Shield and Tomb Raider are looking
pretty tempting right now. Grrr... =o)

The problem for me with most non-MMO games is... MMO games. If I find one I
really like and my husband and friends are also playing it, I drop whatever
I'm playing and play online instead. As much as I love single-player games,
it is so much more fun to play with friends. Oddly enough however, I find I
play MMO's almost entirely solo, levelling and questing when my friends are
not online. I have a lot more time to play than they do.

Heh.. Guess I haven't changed much. I used to play Life by myself when I was
a kid. Think I was just waiting for my friend(s) to come over? ;o)

--
Paula Calles�e
To reply, please remove your clothes.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
play : Divine Divinity
look : Pirates of the Caribbean
read : Stephen King - From a Buick 8
hear : Ooze - What's Up
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

0
spacefish
2/16/2004 8:15:58 AM
"Simpilot" <simpilot@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:
>
> >I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> >are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> >fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> >because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> >in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> >finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> >since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> >feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> >I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> >I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> >other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> >games you buy do you guys finish???????
> >
> >Apostolos
>
> I would hate to figure that out. It is certainly less than 10%.

Probably around 50%...  I actually finish most of the games that I start
(RPG and adventure games wise) - my problem is that it takes soooo long for
me to start a game...  half the games I have sitting on my shelf haven't
been touched since they were purchased...  but the games that I DO start I
probably finish maybe...  er- 80 percent?  One game I have yet to finish is
Ultima 6...  my greatest shame - been playing on and off for over- what, 10
years now?  haven't tried it in a couple of years now though...  maybe I
should load it up again soon...  does it work on XP I wonder...

<=[BC]=>

0
BC
2/16/2004 9:58:19 AM
In article <n73030lnn8rk1bbdp8559h717q05st6e75@4ax.com>, Simpilot <simpilot@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:
>
>>I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
>>are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
>>fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
>>because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
>>in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
>>finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
>>since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
>>feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
>>I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
>>I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
>>other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
>>games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
>I would hate to figure that out. It is certainly less than 10%.

Depends on the genre.  You always finish a strategy game like Civ or
Chess in some sense, though you may not beat it at the top level or play
every scenario.

Restricting myself to CRPGs, I will say about 10% too.  Even when I love
a game, I tend to like the first part better.  And sometimes I quit
quite near the end and never finish!

Geneforge was an exception, I finished that last year.  I *might* finish
Morrowind (though I will get an expansion to revive my interest) and/or
Wiz8 sometime.  Part of it is that many games are inelegantly large.
Geneforge is not a small game, but it is a finishable size.

Gerry Quinn
--
http://bindweed.com
Screensavers, Games, Kaleidoscopes

0
gerryq
2/16/2004 12:22:57 PM
am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) scribbled out in a fit of sanity : == >>

> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> Apostolos

1% for me lol. The ones i finish are usually first person shooters.The rest
i install fiddle with for a very short time, uninstall and try another one.
As someone else says books easier to start and finish lol
0
Ummmmmm
2/16/2004 12:54:13 PM
"Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> Apostolos

I feel a little of the odd one out syndrome comeing along, but I finish
(*almost*) every game I buy. I usually only buy a game if I'm sure I'm going
to like it, and only have about two games going at one time, so for me an
unfinished game means there's something new around the corner and I want to
see what it is.

The only time I don't finish a game is if I actually cant! I've never
finished X-Com tftd. But I've given it a good go every couple of years on my
old 486 for the last ten! I play if for months and months but it just wears
me down when I cant get past a certain point. The only other game I never
finished was Daggerfall. It was unbelievably bugged, and my quests kept
corrupting until I just couldn't bear it any longer! In Serpent Isle, I
replayed from the beginning over and over over the space of about 4 years,
consistantly stuck at the same bit until one day, I cracked it.

-=Matt=-

0
Matt
2/16/2004 12:58:56 PM
"Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> Apostolos

no, I don't.  as long as I have fun with the game, that's all that
matters....besides - most endings SUCK ROYAL ASS.  most I have seen have
been not much more than "Hi, thanks for playing, be sure to buy the next
one!"

0
Runelord
2/16/2004 2:09:42 PM
am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote in news:a49f73d0.0402151438.2a0ff063
@posting.google.com:

> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????

I'm very choosy about the games I buy. Currently I only have ToEE on the
shelf that isn't finished (OK, I'm playing KoTOR now, but I expect to
finish that one as well). And I never got around killing the Balrog in
Moria (a Rogue-like game)....

So I finish about 98% of the games I buy.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
"Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> Apostolos

I finish about 90% of the games I start.  The key to to stick with the genre
you know you like.  Of course, when real tedium starts to set in I uninstall
the game and toss it out (I did this with Icewind Dale  II in the severed
hand). I'm also down to buying 4 or so games a year...yes, I'm a jaded
gamer.

Eric

0
Eric
2/16/2004 3:44:54 PM
"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message

>   And last, my biggest problem is that I think that a lot of today's games
> are just to hard to finish. I've been playing games since the 2600 days
yet
> a lot of the games I own just kick my butt so much I either resort to
> cheating or just giving up. I don't know how many times I'll be loving a
> game and I'm on like the 4th level and then BAM! the game goes from really
> fun to just plan frustration all in one levels time. Freedom Force comes
> mind right away. I was loving that game, and then just like that it got
> ridiculously hard. I gave up and haven't been back since.

Many a hard game made me lose my inspiration too.  Hexen comes to the top of
my mind.  I loved Heretic and thought for sure that Hexen would be a sure
winner.  But when I had to buy the strategy guide for Hexen and refer to it
all the time to get past some puzzle, all of the fun I thought I would have
was gone.  Funny, the demo to Hexen didn't have any difficult puzzles.

More recently, I almost gave up on The Return of the King because it was so
hard, even on their so-called "Easy" difficulty.  Granted, I probably would
not have as much trouble playing through it again a second time, but most of
the fun in a game for me is playing it through the first time.  No doubt the
difficulty level and some of the camera angles are the reason why this game
dropped in price by 2/3 since it came out.

>  So yes I do at times feel bad that I don't finishing my games,but then I
> just go out and buy a few more to make myself feel better :)
> JLC

LOL, I think that sums it up!  It's great for you especially since you have
an excellent store for your games.

0
NightSky
2/16/2004 4:15:36 PM
"Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> Apostolos

I finish under 1% of the games I buy. If I get 20 hours of play out of a
game, I am satisfied. Once a game become too repetitious, first person
shooters somewhat excluded, it doesn't last much longer with me. Almost all
games that I play have zero replay ability with me. So if I start a RPG like
KOTOR, and find that I do not like the first class that I pick, I have to
wait several months to play a new class before I can stomach the story line
and scripted sequences again.

0
James_
2/16/2004 4:58:06 PM
On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:

>I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
>are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
>fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
>because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
>in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
>finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
>since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
>feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
>I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
>I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
>other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
>games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
>Apostolos

I avoid that problem by making it a point NOT to buy games
which are "finishable" (i.e. game structure is such that
gameplay is endless, like Unreal Tournament, Heroes of
Might and Magic-campaigns aside-and racing games such
as Nascar Racing 2003...).

          John DiFool

0
John
2/16/2004 5:16:37 PM
On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:

> What percentage of the
>games you buy do you guys finish?

I never really thought about this, but I'd say it is under thirty
percent only. This is countered by games that I play endlessly long,
though. A good example here is Diablo II, which I basically played for
over three years. Also, Neverwinter Nights, though this is because
there are so many player created modules.

I must admit that I never finished a Black Isle title. I bought them
all, and in case of Icewind Dale 2 I never even installed it. I also
have trouble sticking to strategy games, and shooters. I was a shooter
fan ten years ago, and would play Heretic and Doom for countless
hours, but today I get bored after half an hour. Just not enough
substance and depth -- just reaction, and when you get older, that's
an area in which you start lacking. ;)

I try to finish most non-party-management type of RPGs, though. I have
yet to play Divine Divinity and Arx Fatalis (the lead designer
mentioned in an e-mail to me that they are working on a new title, so
I really need to play through *this* one first!), which will be a
problem, seeing how I'll get Sacred on the 27th. I did give up a bit
on Morrowind. I felt kind of lost, and the dark, gloomy atmosphere
started to get on my nerves. I also prefer isometric perspectives over
first person, unless it's a Dungeon Master (1987, not the newer) type
of dungeon crawl, like Arx Fatalis.

M.
0
Michael
2/16/2004 6:12:51 PM
am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote in news:a49f73d0.0402151438.2a0ff063
@posting.google.com:

>  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish?

At best 10%. Still have tons of games I would like to finish someday. I
have pretty much put a stop to buying new games though, so maybe I'm
finally coming around.

Knight37
0
Knight37
2/16/2004 6:46:20 PM
am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote in message news:<a49f73d0.0402151438.2a0ff063@posting.google.com>...
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> Apostolos

<.5%

Some games are replayable.  In most case, it had been install, make
sure it works, and MAYBE get back to some day (which never happens).

- Richard Hutnik
0
richardhutnik
2/16/2004 7:03:52 PM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:12:51 +0100, Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmx.net> wrote:

>On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:
>
>> What percentage of the
>>games you buy do you guys finish?
>
>I never really thought about this, but I'd say it is under thirty
>percent only. This is countered by games that I play endlessly long,
>though. A good example here is Diablo II, which I basically played for
>over three years. Also, Neverwinter Nights, though this is because
>there are so many player created modules.
>
>I must admit that I never finished a Black Isle title. I bought them
>all, and in case of Icewind Dale 2 I never even installed it.

I finish most RPGs but Icewind Dale 2 beat me.
The brother sister at the end were too time consuming to try again and again.
In one try I managed to kill one of them.
HOLDFAST arrows.
I only found one full quiver of those.
I had only 12 left at the end.
If I had saved those the end would have been a piece of cake.
I finally gave up and removed the game.

Some games you finish over and over.
Diablo, X-com come to mind.

0
Freddefish
2/16/2004 7:14:01 PM
am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote in message news:<a49f73d0.0402151438.2a0ff063@posting.google.com>...
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait until
> I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
> I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
> other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> Apostolos

I must complete about 80% of my games, but if i do buy a dud its
deleted in short order. Im not going to slog my way to end of
something just to get my moneys worth. That makes gaming more like a
job than a fun hobby.

I do like the new trend towards much shorter games like, COD & both
Max Payne games. Id much rather have 10 great hours than 20 hours of
filler with 10 hours of good gameplay here or there.
0
swr
2/16/2004 9:29:40 PM
I just finished MS FlightSim 2004.
Took off, flew around, landed. Done.

/petern

On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:

>What percentage of the
>games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
>Apostolos

0
Peter
2/16/2004 11:07:46 PM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 01:39:19 +0100, Michael Mendelsohn
<keine.Werbung.1300@michael.mendelsohn.de> wrote:

>Same here.

Well, I can safely say I finish 100% of the games I like, usually more
than once. Unfortunately, that isn't very many games. At least, not
lately. The last year that I enjoyed most the games I bought was 1992.
1998 wasn't bad either. The late 80s were really the heydey of PC
gaming, at least for me. Bad games were a rarity then - I don't think
the market was large enough for companies to try and peddle shovelware
to the masses, and the companies themselves were small enough that the
decision makers and the developers were the same people.

>The percentage of books or movies I don't finish is far smaller, mainly
>because it normally takes only up to 4 hours to finish one.

I used to finish just about every book I started. I'm far more
particular now, and if I'm uninterested in a book after the first
chapter, I set it aside. Movies, though, I'll generally sit through.
There don't seem to be very many truly awful movies, and it's easy
enough to avoid the ones that seem to be bombs.

0
Thrasher
2/16/2004 11:10:04 PM
In news:Ab-dnZNGoKO6Uq3d4p2dnA@comcast.com,
Runelord <a@b.c> Quoth The Raven:
> "Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
>> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
>> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
>> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
>> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
>> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
>> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
>> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
>> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait
>> until I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this
>> newsgroup.  But I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I
>> reall like, the other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What
>> percentage of the games you buy do you guys finish???????
>>
>> Apostolos
>
> no, I don't.  as long as I have fun with the game, that's all that
> matters....besides - most endings SUCK ROYAL ASS.  most I have seen
> have been not much more than "Hi, thanks for playing, be sure to buy
> the next one!"

yeah, I'm not sure if it was me, but chapter advancement in max Payne 2 was
manual for me, so when I finished the game and killed Ivan, he fell off the
roof and hit the ground and that was it, game over, no ending scene or
prologue, no mourning for Mona. the game just stopped. totally sucky ending.

--
 What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered
plant?

Take out the CUSSIN to reply to me

0
Highlandish
2/16/2004 11:10:11 PM
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:07:46 +0100, Peter Nilsson
<peter@listserv.dicom.NO-SPAM.se> wrote:

>I just finished MS FlightSim 2004.
>Took off, flew around, landed. Done.

Only 10,000 more airports and 400 more aircraft to go. <g>
0
Freddefish
2/16/2004 11:58:10 PM
I buy way too many games and finish *maybe* 10% of them if I'm lucky.
One of my problems (besides buying too many games in general) is that
I like games that are open-ended with a lot of replayability.  Even
with those, however, I rarely finish all the included campaigns or
scenarios.  One of the reasons would be they are too hard, though I'll
almost never complain about that.  I like the challenge, when it's
"fair", but such challenge means it takes me a long time to learn to
beat it, and then perhaps by that time something newer has grabbed my
interest.  I usually feel like I *should* finish a game, so I've got
tons of old games that I intend to play some more *at some point*.  I
suppose, if I was being honest, I'd admit that I'll never get to them,
but I'm not ready to be that honest yet. :)  I will finish some games
quite a while after I've bought them.  For instance, I don't think I
managed to beat BG1 until after BG2 was released.  Since then, I've
finished it 8-10 times.  Similarly, while I have finished BG2 once, I
haven't finished TOB yet.  However, I suspect eventually I'll have
finished both of those numerous times.  I know ... it's strange.  Only
once have I ever finished a game without restarting numerous times ...
I guess I like the beginning of games better than the endings for the
most part.  The exception to the rule was Hellfire, the expansion to
Diablo.  I bought it on Christmas Eve, started that evening and had
beaten the game with a monk character by the end of Christmas day.
However, for me that doesn't really count because had I not been
familiar with Diablo, I never would've finished the game that quickly.

I am doing better, though.  I bought KotOR and had finished it within
2 months ... rather impressive for me.  I am also buying less games
these days, though you can't really tell based on looking at my
backlog of games. :-\  Still, there's hope. :)

Warren
0
wsmithjr001
2/17/2004 1:02:56 AM
"Highlandish" <ckreskay_cussin@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> In news:Ab-dnZNGoKO6Uq3d4p2dnA@comcast.com,
> Runelord <a@b.c> Quoth The Raven:
> > "Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> >> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> >> are deus ex 2 and warcraft 3 expansion.  I always feel that it is my
> >> fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
> >> because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
> >> in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
> >> finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
> >> since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
> >> feel the same way????  Of course you might say that i could wait
> >> until I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this
> >> newsgroup.  But I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I
> >> reall like, the other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What
> >> percentage of the games you buy do you guys finish???????
> >>
> >> Apostolos
> >
> > no, I don't.  as long as I have fun with the game, that's all that
> > matters....besides - most endings SUCK ROYAL ASS.  most I have seen
> > have been not much more than "Hi, thanks for playing, be sure to buy
> > the next one!"
>
> yeah, I'm not sure if it was me, but chapter advancement in max Payne 2
was
> manual for me, so when I finished the game and killed Ivan, he fell off
the
> roof and hit the ground and that was it, game over, no ending scene or
> prologue, no mourning for Mona. the game just stopped. totally sucky
ending.

You had to load each level yourself? It wasn't seamless?

> --
>  What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered
> plant?
>
> Take out the CUSSIN to reply to me

0
Matt
2/17/2004 2:09:55 AM
Peter Nilsson <peter@listserv.dicom.NO-SPAM.se> wrote in

> I just finished MS FlightSim 2004.
> Took off, flew around, landed. Done.

I finished Mahjongg once.  Still trying to finish SimCity.
0
Alan
2/17/2004 2:19:33 AM
In news:c0rt70$c1d$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk,
-=Matt=- <DIESPAM@DIEDIEDIE.co.uk> Quoth The Raven:
> "Highlandish" <ckreskay_cussin@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
>> yeah, I'm not sure if it was me, but chapter advancement in max
>> Payne 2 was manual for me, so when I finished the game and killed
>> Ivan, he fell off the roof and hit the ground and that was it, game
>> over, no ending scene or prologue, no mourning for Mona. the game
>> just stopped. totally sucky ending.
>>
> You had to load each level yourself? It wasn't seamless?

it must have been some bug, I used the dev mode to get new York minute mode,
and the chapters didn't advance automatically themselves, instead I got a
record time for each, and I was able to select what ever chapter I wanted to
beat the time first recorded by my first attempt. so now I am not sure if I
got the prologue or even if one existed.
--
 Right now I'm having amnesia and deja-vu at the same time. I think
I've forgotten this before. - Stephen Wright

Take out the CUSSIN to reply to me

0
Highlandish
2/17/2004 3:23:27 AM
> In news:c0rt70$c1d$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk,
> -=Matt=- <DIESPAM@DIEDIEDIE.co.uk> Quoth The Raven:
> > "Highlandish" <ckreskay_cussin@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> >> yeah, I'm not sure if it was me, but chapter advancement in max
> >> Payne 2 was manual for me, so when I finished the game and killed
> >> Ivan, he fell off the roof and hit the ground and that was it, game
> >> over, no ending scene or prologue, no mourning for Mona. the game
> >> just stopped. totally sucky ending.
> >>
> > You had to load each level yourself? It wasn't seamless?
> >

> it must have been some bug, I used the dev mode to get new York minute
mode,
> and the chapters didn't advance automatically themselves, instead I got a
> record time for each, and I was able to select what ever chapter I wanted
> beat the time first recorded by my first attempt. so now I am not sure if
> got the prologue or even if one existed.
> --
>  Right now I'm having amnesia and deja-vu at the same time. I think
> I've forgotten this before. - Stephen Wright
>
> Take out the CUSSIN to reply to me

Yes New York minute mode is just a console-like 'Time Challenge' mode. Ive
not tried it myself but it sounds like its supposed to work like that. Like
a 'beat your record time' thing for each level.
I would play through the game in the normal difficulty again if I was you.
It'll flow a lot better and make more sense. You'll get all the storyboard
bits in between levels, the ending etc and it should all be a whole lot
better when it all makes sense!

0
Matt
2/17/2004 2:30:36 PM
Apostolos wrote:

> What percentage of the games you buy do you guys finish???????

[trimming newgroups to just the one I'm interested in]

I haven't finished very many games, but I haven't purchased many
either, so at least it'll be easy to get an exact number.

Individual games:

Ultima 5
Favorite game ever.  Played it all the way through at least 5 times.

Ultima 7
Ugh.  Buggy, lots of pixel hunting, plot broke twice, eventually gave
up partway through.

Daggerfall
Buggy, extremely shallow world, worst NPC interaction I've ever seen
(Stonekeep at least had dialogue, even if you had no control over it).

Planescape: Torment
Didn't care for the setting, hated the interface, eventually decided
that I didn't want anything to do with my character.

Collections:

Ultima Collection
Worth the price just to have a working copy of U5 (my original was for
the Apple 2).  Played U4 nearly to the end on a friend's computer,
will try it again if I can find a good slowdown utility.  I think I
played U6 all the way through (on a different friend's computer), but
lost interest with my own copy.  Downloaded Exult to play U7, and was
reminded how much I hated it.  No intention of even trying U8.
Haven't seriously tried Akalabeth, U1, 2, or 3.

Ultimate RPG Archives
Stonekeep was quite fun up until you start talking to NPCs (or rather,
watch your character talk to NPCs), and I think I got caught in a bug
or something after the ice caves.
Wizardry Gold was fun so long as that healing fountain was convenient,
after that it was just too hard.  Spent more time designing my party
than actually playing the game.
Played Bard's Tale 3 all the way on a friend's computer, and I think I
finished 1 on my own.  Haven't tried 2 or the construction set.
Tried Ultima Underworld 1, but it was too dark, and the automap didn't
work very well, so I gave up.  Haven't tried 2.
Didn't seriously try Dragonwars or Wasteland.  Considering trying World
of Xeen soon.

Star Control 3 (+ 1 & 2)
Nearly finished 2 twice (couldn't get past the shield generators on
space station), and I finished 3 despite breaking the plot twice (but
it's even less of an RPG than 2).  Haven't really tried 1 (which isn't
even remotely an RPG).

Freeware / shareware:

Nahlakh
I really liked this, though I didn't quite finish.  Keep meaning to
send the author some money.  Looked at the kinda-sequel Natuk, but it
took away everything I liked about Nahlakh.

Betrayal at Krondor
Finished it, really liked the combat and spell system (though the
actual spells were horribly unbalanced).

Dark Disciples
Surprisingly enjoyable, finished it with a little help from the
walkthrough.  Will probably try it again now that many bugs have been
fixed.

Dink Smallwood
Annoying dialogue, got stuck in the section with the chicken
worshipers.

Helherron
Takes too long to create a party, and despite my best efforts at
minmaxing I always get killed by the first random encounter outside
town.

I've downloaded a couple demos from Spiderweb Software, but the
interfaces were too clunky, so I'll just count them as 2 not
seriously tried.

So that's a total of 31 games, 18 tried, 7 finished.

Percent of games owned: 22.6%
Percent of games tried: 38.9%
Those numbers are higher than I expected.

--KG
0
Konrad
2/17/2004 11:30:46 PM
In news:c0t8ju$kbk$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk,
-=Matt=- <DIESPAM@DIEDIEDIE.co.uk> Quoth The Raven:

> Yes New York minute mode is just a console-like 'Time Challenge'
> mode. Ive not tried it myself but it sounds like its supposed to work
> like that. Like a 'beat your record time' thing for each level.
> I would play through the game in the normal difficulty again if I was
> you. It'll flow a lot better and make more sense. You'll get all the
> storyboard bits in between levels, the ending etc and it should all
> be a whole lot better when it all makes sense!

I got all the story board stuff at the beginning and end of each chapter,
but it seems your right. I will try the game on a lesser difficulty, and
skip the all the levels and warp to the final boss scene (saving batboy just
sucked to all hell, he kept running off and getting gunned down. most of the
time I didn't even know where he was). all this to see the prologue.
--
 "Design is the art of effectively communicating a message while making
the communication medium invisible."

Take out the CUSSIN to reply to me

0
Highlandish
2/17/2004 11:50:28 PM
Highlandish schrieb:
> skip the all the levels and warp to the final boss scene [..].
> all this to see the prologue.

<MODE SMARTASS="ON">
If it's after the game, it's an epilogue.
A prologue is _before_ the action.
<MODE SMARTASS="OFF">

Have fun
mendel
--
Feel the stare of my burning hamster and stop smoking!
0
Michael
2/18/2004 7:27:38 AM
In article <a49f73d0.0402151438.2a0ff063@posting.google.com>, am59
@ath.forthnet.gr says...
> I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  Most current let downs
> <snip>
> What percentage of the
> games you buy do you guys finish???????
>
> Apostolos

The only game that I've played and didn't finish is the old
Sierra title "Outpost." I tried, I really did. I even bought
the damn strategy guide. Well, you pretty much had to as the
manual was so bad. I could never get more than a few hours into
it without giving up in frustration. I think it's still in a
closet somewhere but I'm not masochistic enough to go looking.
--
Such order in the midst of chaos makes me woozy and disoriented.
                                                         -Alice

Ive tried to finish Blade Runner about 4 times :) allways loose
interest.

Or have to free up some space and it gos.

0
We
2/27/2004 5:22:21 PM
gerryq@indigo.ie (Gerry Quinn) wrote in message news:<my2Yb.2956$rb.58594@news.indigo.ie>...

> Restricting myself to CRPGs, I will say about 10% too.  Even when I love
> a game, I tend to like the first part better.  And sometimes I quit
> quite near the end and never finish!
>
> Geneforge was an exception, I finished that last year.  I *might* finish
> Morrowind (though I will get an expansion to revive my interest) and/or
> Wiz8 sometime.  Part of it is that many games are inelegantly large.
> Geneforge is not a small game, but it is a finishable size.
>
> Gerry Quinn

Focusing on RPG's only I would finish at least 75%.  I also tend to
quit right near the end.  Strangely enough one of these was Geneforge
- I loved the game at the start, but by the end I could not tolerate
yet another unchallenging, pointless battle that I had to labour
through just to get through an area.  It still sits on my hard drive,
waiting for me to finish it.  Another was Fallout 1 where again I got
tired of killing the hordes of mutants to reach the final boss guy.

Games where unchallenging, pointless turn-based battles are forced
upon you are the ones I tend to get frustrated with and quit (Wiz 8
drove me insane!).  In games like Baldur's Gate and KOTOR you also
encounter easy battles but because they're real-time you can dispatch
the monsters with minimum of effort.
0
temp_65238
2/29/2004 5:20:00 AM
On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:31 -0800, am59@ath.forthnet.gr (Apostolos) wrote:

>I own a lot of games that I did not finish.  [...]  I always feel that it is my
>fault that i dont finish the games.  The reason:  I lost interest
>because 1)another cool game came out and bought it and lost interest
>in the old one or 2)  The game sucks (aka deus ex 2) or 3) to hard to
>finish.   Somehow I feel bad altough most of the times I shall not
>since the designers f***ed the product this time around.  Do you guys
>feel the same way????

Most of the time i feel bad about not finishing a game but there are
cases where it becomes just too tedious (read: tortorous) to finish.

I never finished the first Dark Reign despite all the exciting
previews, and i keep on meaning to complete it only to give up around
the sxith map or so everytime.  I make sure to select Easy each time i
start the campaign but it gets too rough so quickly -shame: i've given
up on it.

Homeworld is another game i up on except it i was two missions away
from the end.  It was just ridiculous towards the end.  I could have
made it through after much trial and error just as had been done with
the previous few missions, but after having not touched the game after
a few months i had a realization.  All the tedious gameplay i had
experienced in the last few missions wasn't entertaining me any more
and playing a game just to witness the next video is a sorry state of
affairs.  Perhaps one day i'll return to Homeworld.

Heroes of Might & Magic III has offered me endless hours of enjoyment
and i often find myself returning to it for that just-one-more-turn
quick fix to a recurring addiction.  I completed all of the campaigns
in the original with some great difficulty one certain maps.  Of
course i bought the expansion Armaggedon's Blade but some of the
confrontations in the new campaigns are overwhelming.  My usual
strategy of making an uber-general and having other heroes transport
troops to the general doesn't seem as effective in the expansion..

Anachronox.   Around the super hero mission i felt the game lost steam
and i couldn't continue shaking the lacking feeling the combat system
gives you any longer.

Command & Conquer Generals: I'm near the end of the Chinese campaign
and while i've played the same mission a dozen times by now, i'm
determined to finish it.  It is rewarding to complete the later
missions in the game.

I made significant progress into Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
but had to abandon playing the game due to being unable to find the
key in the attic.  The walk-throughs for the game state that there is
a key underneath the floorboards in the attic but i've been unable to
find any loose boards that i can interact with up there.  If someone
knows exactly where to look on the particular screen while playing as
Edward i'd appreciate any tips.

In general i have a hard time convincing myself to finish most RTS
games.  I'm unlikely to ever finish C&C Gold, Dark Reign, C&C Red
Alert (1), Total Annihiliation, and Homeworld.  There's a few games i
have started recently but due to lack of time i haven't played much
yet: The Longest Journey, Outcast, Morrowind, Sanitarium, and a couple
of others.

I'm having too much fun with Gothic 2 and the UT2k4 demo at the
moment.

> Of course you might say that i could wait until
>I read all the reviews, played the demo amd read this newsgroup.  But
>I am only 60 to 70 % successful into buying stuff I reall like, the
>other 30%  I get sucked into the hype machine.  What percentage of the
>games you buy do you guys finish???????

I've cut back greatly on the amount of games i've purchased in the
past four years.  It's given me time to go through my collection and
slowly finish them off -it's a great feeling although my friends will
call and talk about more recent games i've only seen reviews of..  I
still purchase a few games each year though.  With that said i'd say i
finish about 90% of the games i purchase -i'm careful with my
purchases and it's rare lately that i pick up a game i have to
abandon.

--
best regards, mattchu

0
mattchu (107)
3/1/2004 1:17:16 PM
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:15:36 -0700, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421REPLY-TO-GROUP@decite.com> wrote:

>Many a hard game made me lose my inspiration too.  Hexen comes to the top of
>my mind.  I loved Heretic and thought for sure that Hexen would be a sure
>winner.  But when I had to buy the strategy guide for Hexen and refer to it
>all the time to get past some puzzle, all of the fun I thought I would have
>was gone.  Funny, the demo to Hexen didn't have any difficult puzzles.

Oh!  I forget to mention Hexen in my post.  I never did complete the
game although i'm sure i've started about five ventures into it in
ernest.  I downloaded the JHexen OpenGL source code port of the engine
and i played through quite a ways this time around.  Still i've had to
reference the official strategy guide several times since i simply
loose track of what i'm doing after some time of travelling between
the maps in a hub.

I never finished Strife either -another DOOM engine game that featured
hubs.

--
best regards, mattchu
0