I like Wizardry. What else will I like?

I only ever played two RPGs - Wizardry 7 & 8 and enjoyed them both very
much.

Without starting a flame war, what other RPGs will I like?

Hmm, what did I like about those? Exploration, more than battle (and
perhaps magic rather than simple strength/dexterity/etc - if well
done (as it seemed to be in Wizardry)).

A bit of puzzle solving wouldn't hurt. Character advancement, with
truly distinctive character traits. Single player, something to keep me
busy for a while and it must hold my interest, so not just repetitive,
ho-hum, same old-same old battles. Good auto-mapping.

Anything set in a well depicted modern city might be a nice twist, but
I was happy enough with the Wizardry universe. Maybe an outer space or
time travel setting? I only really mention setting to see if there any
in a non-standard-mythical-realm setting, but that is of much less
important than other factors.

I generally play 4x, with the odd 1st person shooter for light relief.
I still return again & again to Doom (the first) and Civilization (the
first) and concentrate on Civ and its derivatives, like Alph Centauri
and other 4x'ers like Master of Orion.

So, what RPGs might I like? And what are the generally agreed "top
10"?

Thanks in advance.

comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg 10727 articles. 0 followers. jonahnynla (1774) is leader. Post Follow

<Papa.Legba.666@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I only ever played two RPGs - Wizardry 7 & 8 and enjoyed them both very
> much.
>
> Without starting a flame war, what other RPGs will I like?
>
> Hmm, what did I like about those? Exploration, more than battle (and
> perhaps magic rather than simple strength/dexterity/etc - if well
> done (as it seemed to be in Wizardry)).
>
> A bit of puzzle solving wouldn't hurt. Character advancement, with
> truly distinctive character traits. Single player, something to keep me
> busy for a while and it must hold my interest, so not just repetitive,
> ho-hum, same old-same old battles. Good auto-mapping.
>
> Anything set in a well depicted modern city might be a nice twist, but
> I was happy enough with the Wizardry universe. Maybe an outer space or
> time travel setting? I only really mention setting to see if there any
> in a non-standard-mythical-realm setting, but that is of much less
> important than other factors.
>
> I generally play 4x, with the odd 1st person shooter for light relief.
> I still return again & again to Doom (the first) and Civilization (the
> first) and concentrate on Civ and its derivatives, like Alph Centauri
> and other 4x'ers like Master of Orion.
>
> So, what RPGs might I like? And what are the generally agreed "top
> 10"?
>
> Thanks in advance.

for the things you mentioned - exploration being the top on your list...

get Morrowind Game of the year version - has original plus 2 expansions.

this, plus mods will probably keep you busy fo rthe next 3-6 months EASILY.

0
Melketh
3/30/2005 5:56:31 PM
Although Morrowind is quite different from the Wizardry games.  Well at
least in one basic aspect.  You control one character instead of a team
like in the Wizardry games.
I would suggest the Baldur's Gate series although they're more similar
to the old ultima games (where you controlled a team from above).
Morrowind = One character.  Lots of exploration, combat more action
than strategic.
Baldur's Gate = Party of characters with interaction between them
(conversations, hate/love, etc).  Combat more strategic than action
Also some game from the Wizardry team went his own way and made a
similar game, Wizards and Warriors, although for many it wasn't quite
good.

0
wolfing1
3/30/2005 6:09:44 PM
I second Baldur's Gate.
There's also Neverwinter Nights, although I personally hate it.

However, the OP might want to try some different rpg's, to see which
kind he prefers - e.g. Morrowind, Gothic, Knights of the Old Republic,
Fallout 2, maybe even Diablo 2...

0
mike_noren2002
3/30/2005 6:38:08 PM
Don't know about the generally agreed top ten CRPGs, but these are my
favorites:
 - Baldur's Gate 1&2
 - Planescape Torment
 - Wizardry 7
 - KoToR
 - Sierra's Quest for Glory series
 - Wizardry 8
 - Betrayal at Krondor

I haven't played yet what many say are great games: Gothic 1 and 2, so
can't comment.  Also I'm more into the fantasy genre so never got far
in Fallout series or Arkanum.  I don't consider the Diablo series RPGs
so left them out, although they're good exercise for your index finger

0
wolfing1
3/30/2005 7:07:21 PM
wolfing1@yahoo.com wrote:

> Don't know about the generally agreed top ten CRPGs, but these are my
> favorites:
>  - Baldur's Gate 1&2
>  - Planescape Torment
>  - Wizardry 7
>  - KoToR
>  - Sierra's Quest for Glory series
>  - Wizardry 8
>  - Betrayal at Krondor
>
> I haven't played yet what many say are great games: Gothic 1 and 2, so
> can't comment.  Also I'm more into the fantasy genre so never got far
> in Fallout series or Arkanum.  I don't consider the Diablo series RPGs
> so left them out, although they're good exercise for your index finger

I would add Gothic 1 and 2.  They are 3rd person games that are
spectacular.  Once you get used to the keyboard driven interface, you'll
play the game until you are sleep deprived.

Fallout 1 and 2 are excellent!  If you haven't played them, pick them
up.  I think they are $4.99 in the bargain bin now a days.

Arcanum is interesting, but nothing amazing.  If you haven't played it
and need a RPG, pick it up, but don't expect a ground breaking RPG.
MAKE SURE TO GET THE PATCH.  The game shipped with countless bugs and
issues.

Diablo 1 and 2 are hack and slash with LOTS of clicking.

If you played KOTOR 1, you might was well play KOTOR 2, but wait for it
to hit the bargain bin.  I got burned, but I don't think anyone else should.
0
James
3/30/2005 7:55:52 PM
"I only ever played two RPGs - Wizardry 7 & 8 and enjoyed them both
very
much.

Without starting a flame war, what other RPGs will I like?"

Wizardry 8, Baldur's Gate 2 (BG2), and Planescape Torment (PST) are in
my view the three greatest crpg's.  Wizardry 7 would also be up there
if not for its older technology.

In my view Baldur's Gate 2 fits the bill for you very well.  It has
distinctive character advancement, battles which are not repetitive and
different tactics must be used for most, there's some puzzle solving
but nothing extremely tough, lots of good exploration and quests in
varying environments (which includes various types of cities), and it's
overall just an amazingly great game much as Wiz8 is.

0
NFLed
3/30/2005 7:58:54 PM
Papa.Legba.666@gmail.com wrote:
> I only ever played two RPGs - Wizardry 7 & 8 and enjoyed them both
very
> much.
>
> Without starting a flame war, what other RPGs will I like?

Man, I envy you. You have so many amazing RPG moments before you... :)

Unfortunately, since you've only played Wiz 7 and Wiz 8, it's a little
difficult to figure out what you'd like.

How about this: I'll give you the names of a couple of _very_ different
RPGs that were popular and that I personally really enjoyed. Try as
many of those as possible. That'll help you figure out what you like.

Morrowind
---------
Single-player, first-person perspective, realtime, exploration driven,
very pretty and atmospheric.
Cons: Abysmal game mechanics and game balance.

Final Fantasy 7 (or possibly 8, 9, or 10)
---------------
Team-based, isometric perspective (kinda), turn-based, story driven,
excellent story (in my opinion).
Cons: Graphics are dated (but if you enjoyed Wizardry 7, that won't be
a problem).

Knights of the Old Republic
---------------------------
Star Wars world, team-based, third-person perspective, turn-based,
story driven, excellent story.
Cons: Slight game balance issues.

Baldur's Gate 2
---------------
Team-based, isometric perspective, realtime (with pause),
story/exploration driven, excellent story.
Cons: Unnecessarily complex rules mechanics, slightly dated graphics.

Diablo 2
--------
Single-player, isometric perspective, realtime, combat driven.
Cons: Slightly dated graphics. When all's said and done, a clickfest.

Fallout 2
---------
I haven't played it. But so many people say it's awesome that I can
still recommend it. It's set in a post-apocalyptic world.

For the record, here's my entry for Wizardry 8:

Wizardry 8
----------
Team-based, first-person perspective, turn-based, combat/exploration
driven, great game balance and character customization.
Cons: Battles can get very slow and boring.

Try as many of the above games as you can. They were all insanely
popular in their heyday, and with good reason. They are pretty much
some of the most "definitive" RPGs ever made.

Once you figure out which styles you enjoy and which ones you don't,
get back to us and we can give you as many more suggestions as you
want, based on that. :)

Good luck, and happy massacring/roleplaying!

Laszlo

0
laszlo_spamhole
3/30/2005 9:06:51 PM
In article <1112194529.589043.230250@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Papa.Legba.666@gmail.com says...
> I only ever played two RPGs - Wizardry 7 & 8 and enjoyed them both very
> much.
>
> Without starting a flame war, what other RPGs will I like?

You will absolutely like the old Might and Magic CRPGs. i.e. M&M 3
onwards - they use very similar mechanisms of gameplay, character
advancement et cetera.

Fallout 1&2 are excellent, but a different style of engine; you have a
top-down view ('isometric') and combat plays more like a turn-based
tactical game. You don't construct your companions as in Wiz, but you
find them on your travels and if you like them and they like you (you
get to make up your initial character yourself) they will come along.
Fallout 1 is a particular hoot if you are a fan of Monty Python and
Douglas Adams ;-)

Planescape Torment uses the same engine as Fallout, but it's a game with
a totally unique flavour and way of going about things - I have yet to
encounter another one like it. It's kind of very dark in places. But for
me it was like the kind of book you cannot put down, I think I finished
the game in a couple of days of continuous play.

enjoy   -Peter

(Oh, and ymmv et cetera - that goes without saying. But I am confident
that, if you like Wiz., you will like these.)
0
Peter
3/30/2005 10:03:58 PM
Peter Huebner wrote:
> Planescape Torment uses the same engine as Fallout

I don't believe so.  The Infinity engine was introduced in the first
Baldur's Gate and continued on in the sequel as well as the Icewind Dale
series and Planescape: Torment.  Fallout used something else.  At a
quick glance there are similarities though.

best regards, mat
np: [winamp not running]

www.pdxshows.net
0
Vader
3/31/2005 12:13:38 AM
Papa.Legba.666@gmail.com once tried to test me with:

> I only ever played two RPGs - Wizardry 7 & 8 and enjoyed them both very
> much.
>
> Without starting a flame war, what other RPGs will I like?

Might & Magic 4-8. Maybe 9. Maybe.

> Hmm, what did I like about those? Exploration, more than battle (and
> perhaps magic rather than simple strength/dexterity/etc - if well
> done (as it seemed to be in Wizardry)).

You might like Wizards & Warriors. It was done by D.W. Bradley who was the
lead designer on Wizardry 7 (iirc).

> A bit of puzzle solving wouldn't hurt. Character advancement, with
> truly distinctive character traits. Single player, something to keep me
> busy for a while and it must hold my interest, so not just repetitive,
> ho-hum, same old-same old battles. Good auto-mapping.

Yep, Might & Magic series.

> Anything set in a well depicted modern city might be a nice twist, but
> I was happy enough with the Wizardry universe. Maybe an outer space or
> time travel setting? I only really mention setting to see if there any
> in a non-standard-mythical-realm setting, but that is of much less
> important than other factors.

I'd recommend trying Fallout. It's an unusual setting and it is also turn-
based. The one thing that might frustrate you is you can not control the
party. Also you might find it hard to get accustomed to the third person
interface.

> I generally play 4x, with the odd 1st person shooter for light relief.
> I still return again & again to Doom (the first) and Civilization (the
> first) and concentrate on Civ and its derivatives, like Alph Centauri
> and other 4x'ers like Master of Orion.

Yah those games are good.

> So, what RPGs might I like? And what are the generally agreed "top
> 10"?

I doubt you could ever get everyone to agree on the top 10, but here's my
own top 10 for single-player RPGs:

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Fallout series
3. Gothic series
4. Baldur's Gate series
5. Might & Magic series
6. Ultima series
7. Betrayal at Krondor
8. Icewind Dale series
9. Dungeon Master

I specifically am excluding hybrid games (action/RPG titles for example)
and games that are primarily multiplayer. Also I kind of cheated by lumping
series titles together, and while the quality of each individual game
within a series can vary, overall the ones I listed are pretty top notch.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

0
Knight37
3/31/2005 1:08:04 AM
Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> once tried to test me with:

> Planescape Torment uses the same engine as Fallout, but it's a game with
> a totally unique flavour and way of going about things - I have yet to
> encounter another one like it. It's kind of very dark in places. But for
> me it was like the kind of book you cannot put down, I think I finished
> the game in a couple of days of continuous play.

Actually, no, PST uses the Bioware Infinity Engine, which was the same
engine used in the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series. It's a pausable
real-time game, not turn-based like Fallout. It does have similar
perspective such that you are looking down on your characters in 3rd person
view. And yes, it's a superb game. Planescape is my favorite single player
RPG ever. It's by far the coolest story I've encountered in an RPG.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

0
Knight37
3/31/2005 1:12:51 AM
Vader des Vaderlands <vader@vaderlands.nl> once tried to test me with:

> Fallout used something else.  At a
> quick glance there are similarities though.

Fallout had it's own unique engine that was tweaked for Fallout 2.

AFAIK, it was never used in any other games, but certainly Troika did
something very similar for Arcanum, tho I'm not sure how much code was used
from the Fallout engine, maybe none of it. I'm pretty sure Fallout: Tactics
was made from a completely different engine even though the artwork was
very similar to Fallout's.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

0
Knight37
3/31/2005 1:14:56 AM
<wolfing1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Although Morrowind is quite different from the Wizardry games.  Well at
> least in one basic aspect.  You control one character instead of a team
> like in the Wizardry games.
> I would suggest the Baldur's Gate series although they're more similar
> to the old ultima games (where you controlled a team from above).
> Morrowind = One character.  Lots of exploration, combat more action
> than strategic.
> Baldur's Gate = Party of characters with interaction between them
> (conversations, hate/love, etc).  Combat more strategic than action
> Also some game from the Wizardry team went his own way and made a
> similar game, Wizards and Warriors, although for many it wasn't quite
> good.

ABSOLUTELY Baldur's Gate.  I was just suggesting Morrowind because it's
non-linear and a view similar to Wizardry.  But BG (the entire series) are
my favorite games of all time.

0
Melketh
3/31/2005 1:58:02 AM
In article <1112194529.589043.230250@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Papa.Legba.666@gmail.com says...
> I only ever played two RPGs - Wizardry 7 & 8 and enjoyed them both very
> much.
>
> Without starting a flame war, what other RPGs will I like?
>
> Hmm, what did I like about those? Exploration, more than battle (and
> perhaps magic rather than simple strength/dexterity/etc - if well
> done (as it seemed to be in Wizardry)).
>
> A bit of puzzle solving wouldn't hurt. Character advancement, with
> truly distinctive character traits. Single player, something to keep me
> busy for a while and it must hold my interest, so not just repetitive,
> ho-hum, same old-same old battles. Good auto-mapping.

Might and Magic 6-8 might be the nearest to Wizardry, although the
combat and character development are not quite as good.  On the other
hand, if you like character development, surely Wiz8 is the only good
one?  All the others had characters changing classes to get all the
powers.  Start with MM6 (first of 3D-graphic versions) or MM7 (best of
them).  MM3-5 are fun if you want to go retro (actually I don't know 4).

Planescape:Torment is unique.  A game that makes the Infinity Engine
tolerable.  A game that makes D&D alignments not look silly.  An RPG
with more text than an adventure, and thought-provoking text at that.

If you don't care much about graphics, Geneforge from www.spidweb.com
might be just the thing.  Good plot, fair combat, much exploration,
single character but you raise a party of monster pets.  Spiderweb
Software have many other games too, but I think Geneforge has to be the
best choice for most players.  (They are all a shareware mode anyway
where you can get the download and play some portion of the game, then
buy a code to continue your game without restarting.)  Start with
Geneforge 1.

I personally find combat in Infinity Engine games such as Baldur's Gate
messy and intolerable, but you could try Torment which is so good it
negates this.  If you don't hate the combat system then, you could try
Baldur's Gate et al. (there are several).

So, you can probably find MM7 and PS:T cheap, and you can download the
Geneforge demo.  I'd recommend you try all three.

- Gerry Quinn

0
Gerry
3/31/2005 9:28:47 AM
Bitstring <Xns9629C376A5C46knight37m@130.133.1.4>, from the wonderful
person Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> said
>Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Planescape Torment uses the same engine as Fallout, but it's a game with
>> a totally unique flavour and way of going about things - I have yet to
>> encounter another one like it. It's kind of very dark in places. But for
>> me it was like the kind of book you cannot put down, I think I finished
>> the game in a couple of days of continuous play.
>
>Actually, no, PST uses the Bioware Infinity Engine, which was the same
>engine used in the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series.

And for P:ST it actually worked tolerably well, whereas in most of the
other games the problems with its routing / combat engine were a real
PITA. (Kobold commandos with fire arrows in a  twisty little maze,
anyone. 8>.)

--
GSV   Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.
> Don't know about the generally agreed top ten CRPGs, but these are my
> favorites:
> - Baldur's Gate 1&2
> - Planescape Torment
> - Wizardry 7
> - KoToR
> - Sierra's Quest for Glory series
> - Wizardry 8
> - Betrayal at Krondor
>
> I haven't played yet what many say are great games: Gothic 1 and 2, so
> can't comment.  Also I'm more into the fantasy genre so never got far
> in Fallout series or Arkanum.  I don't consider the Diablo series RPGs
> so left them out, although they're good exercise for your index finger

If you're mentioning old games then I must mention the Ultima games,
especially U7, parts 1 and 2.  LOVE them.  Also try Ultima Underworld parts
1 and 2, as well as U6 (if you don't mind the old school text input system).

U8 was okay too I thought, and I rather enjoyed learning the various magic
systems in the game - but this game had some pretty mixed reviews, so I
would probably leave this one till last.

<=[BC]=>

0
BC
3/31/2005 6:20:31 PM
"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> skrev i meddelelsen

> If you're mentioning old games then I must mention the Ultima games,
> especially U7, parts 1 and 2.  LOVE them.

Yes, but they are unplayablre without Exult.

> Also try Ultima Underworld parts 1 and 2, as well as U6 (if you don't
> mind the old school text input system).

Great game, but those you can't get running perfectly on an NT/2000/XP-
system. I dare you.

> U8 was okay too I thought, and I rather enjoyed learning the various
> magic systems in the game - but this game had some pretty mixed
> reviews, so I would probably leave this one till last.

This won't run properly on modern systems as well.

As great as the Ultima games are, Origin's programmers HAD to invent
"enhanced" memory managers, sound formats etc., incompatible with normal
setups.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u

>  (Kobold commandos with fire arrows in a  twisty little maze,
> anyone. 8>.)

Ah, I love Firewine. Who ever get enough of that?! Don't forget, not only
did it have an endless supply of fire-arrow kobold commandos, but it also
had a lot of pretty deadly traps! Weee!

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

0
Knight37
4/1/2005 12:44:25 AM
"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> once tried to test me with:

> If you're mentioning old games then I must mention the Ultima games,
> especially U7, parts 1 and 2.  LOVE them.  Also try Ultima Underworld
> parts 1 and 2, as well as U6 (if you don't mind the old school text
> input system).
>
> U8 was okay too I thought, and I rather enjoyed learning the various
> magic systems in the game - but this game had some pretty mixed
> reviews, so I would probably leave this one till last.

Agreed, Ultima series, classics these are. 7 especially. Great also was
Ultima Underworld. Didn't ever get very far in Ultima 8 though. Difficult
to find, these are. Powerful games these were, powerful games.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

0
Knight37
4/1/2005 12:47:14 AM
On 1 Apr 2005 00:47:14 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> once tried to test me with:
>
>> If you're mentioning old games then I must mention the Ultima games,
>> especially U7, parts 1 and 2.  LOVE them.  Also try Ultima Underworld
>> parts 1 and 2, as well as U6 (if you don't mind the old school text
>> input system).
>>
>> U8 was okay too I thought, and I rather enjoyed learning the various
>> magic systems in the game - but this game had some pretty mixed
>> reviews, so I would probably leave this one till last.
>
>Agreed, Ultima series, classics these are. 7 especially. Great also was
>Ultima Underworld. Didn't ever get very far in Ultima 8 though. Difficult
>to find, these are. Powerful games these were, powerful games.

Eager to see the last episode, eh?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> You might like Wizards & Warriors. It was done by D.W. Bradley who was
> the lead designer on Wizardry 7 (iirc).

I can't get it running on my system any more. (Win2kPro, Geforce3, 1.25G
RAM). Sadly, because I never finished it because of a bug in the last
part of the game. And I really liked the atmosphere of that game.

> I'd recommend trying Fallout. It's an unusual setting and it is also
> turn- based. The one thing that might frustrate you is you can not
> control the party. Also you might find it hard to get accustomed to
> the third person interface.

These run on modern systems with a minimum of tweaking the .ini-files.
I'm playing FO2 for the umteenth time these days. Grrreat games.

>> Civilization (the first) and concentrate on Civ and its derivatives,

The CIV's are great stuff.

> 1. Planescape: Torment
> 2. Fallout series
> 3. Gothic series
> 4. Baldur's Gate series
> 5. Might & Magic series
> 6. Ultima series
> 7. Betrayal at Krondor
7a. Return To Krondor (nice adv-rpg)
> 8. Icewind Dale series
> 9. Dungeon Master

Well, that's more or less what there is anyway + TES series, of course.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
LB�----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
0
Arcana
4/1/2005 4:05:02 AM
On 1 Apr 2005 00:44:25 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> wrote:

>GSV Three Minds in a Can <GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> once tried to test me with:
>
>>  (Kobold commandos with fire arrows in a  twisty little maze,
>> anyone. 8>.)
>
>Ah, I love Firewine. Who ever get enough of that?! Don't forget, not only
>did it have an endless supply of fire-arrow kobold commandos, but it also
>had a lot of pretty deadly traps! Weee!

Firewine was a great place to solo with a rogue character. Leave the rest
of your party behind, and go into Thief/MGS mode. Coran especially was
great for this.

--
Hong Ooi                              | "COUNTERSRTIKE IS AN REAL-TIME
hong@zipworld.com.au                  |  STRATEGY GAME!!!"
"Arcana Dragon" <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote in message
> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> skrev i meddelelsen
>
>> If you're mentioning old games then I must mention the Ultima games,
>> especially U7, parts 1 and 2.  LOVE them.
>
> Yes, but they are unplayablre without Exult.

I've got Exult installed myself, but I just had a thought - the games should
work through DOSBox right?

>> Also try Ultima Underworld parts 1 and 2, as well as U6 (if you don't
>> mind the old school text input system).
>
> Great game, but those you can't get running perfectly on an NT/2000/XP-
> system. I dare you.

Again DOSBox?  One of these days I'll have to dig up my old disks and try
and get those games running again.  (Ha, maybe I'll finally finish U6...  I
swear I WILL finish that one...  One day...)

>> U8 was okay too I thought, and I rather enjoyed learning the various
>> magic systems in the game - but this game had some pretty mixed
>> reviews, so I would probably leave this one till last.
>
> This won't run properly on modern systems as well.
>
> As great as the Ultima games are, Origin's programmers HAD to invent
> "enhanced" memory managers, sound formats etc., incompatible with normal
> setups.

Hmmm, sounds like a fun challenge.  I got Pagan running smoothly on my old
386, with full sound effects and full speech (I was very proud of that -
most of my friends with 486s and early 586s had problems with the game - but
ha, not I!), so I'm sure I can get the Ultima games to run on XP (maybe)...

Btw just checked out the DOSBox site - all the Ultimas are supported.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?letter=U

Ahhhh, shame I sold most of my early PC games a while back...  Useful little
program, this...

<=[BC]=>

0
BC
4/2/2005 2:39:05 PM

> I've got Exult installed myself, but I just had a thought - the games
> should work through DOSBox right?

Well, they might - I never tried, as Exult is made specifically for the
U7's, and you can tweak the graphics and do other kinds of nice stuff
with it, that DOSbox doesn't support.

>> Great game, but those you can't get running perfectly on an
>> NT/2000/XP- system. I dare you.
> Again DOSBox?  One of these days I'll have to dig up my old disks and
> try and get those games running again.  (Ha, maybe I'll finally finish
> U6...  I swear I WILL finish that one...  One day...)

I wonder, but they claim that it supports the Underworlds. Hmm, I'll try
it out, maybe...

> Btw just checked out the DOSBox site - all the Ultimas are supported.

The UW's seems to not be FULLY supported? Anyway, U6 runs without any
emulators (Win2K) - but you might need VDMSound to get the music running.

Seems they've been working on DOSBox since I tried it out last.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
LB�----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
0
Arcana
4/3/2005 10:25:51 AM
On 30 Mar 2005 06:55:29 -0800, Papa.Legba.666@gmail.com wrote:

>I only ever played two RPGs - Wizardry 7 & 8 and enjoyed them both very
>much.
>
>Without starting a flame war, what other RPGs will I like?
>
>Hmm, what did I like about those? Exploration, more than battle (and
>perhaps magic rather than simple strength/dexterity/etc - if well
>done (as it seemed to be in Wizardry)).
>
>A bit of puzzle solving wouldn't hurt. Character advancement, with
>truly distinctive character traits. Single player, something to keep me
>busy for a while and it must hold my interest, so not just repetitive,
>ho-hum, same old-same old battles. Good auto-mapping.
>
>Anything set in a well depicted modern city might be a nice twist, but
>I was happy enough with the Wizardry universe. Maybe an outer space or
>time travel setting? I only really mention setting to see if there any
>in a non-standard-mythical-realm setting, but that is of much less
>important than other factors.
>
>I generally play 4x, with the odd 1st person shooter for light relief.
>I still return again & again to Doom (the first) and Civilization (the
>first) and concentrate on Civ and its derivatives, like Alph Centauri
>and other 4x'ers like Master of Orion.
>
>So, what RPGs might I like? And what are the generally agreed "top
>10"?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Pool of Radiance.  Old, but the best.
0