Skyrim Remastered

B has announced a "remastered" version of Skyrim.

Don't get excited, you can already mod Skyrim better than what ever they are likely to release.

I'd get it if they had done Morrowind or even Oblivion, but Skyrim?
0
T987654321
6/13/2016 6:54:40 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg 10727 articles. 0 followers. jonahnynla (1774) is leader. Post Follow

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:54:40 -0700 (PDT), T987654321
<qwrtz123@gmail.com> wrote:

>B has announced a "remastered" version of Skyrim.
>
>Don't get excited, you can already mod Skyrim better than what ever they are likely to release.
>
>I'd get it if they had done Morrowind or even Oblivion, but Skyrim?

Still, the fact that you get it free on Steam if you own the Legendary
edition (or Skyrim + all the DLC) is cool, and even if it doesn't
eliminate the need for all my graphical-enhancement mods, it'd be nice
to trim back their numbers ;-)

0
Spalls
6/14/2016 1:09:32 PM
T987654321 <qwrtz123@gmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
the porn spammer to utter  "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>B has announced a "remastered" version of Skyrim.
>
>Don't get excited, you can already mod Skyrim better than what ever they are likely to release.

I read about this a couple days back.

The update/remaster, call it what you will, is for next Gen consoles to
bring them up to what PC already had.   Is also supposed to add modding
ability to those consoles.

In other words, if you're a PC gamer, there's nothing to see here.

>I'd get it if they had done Morrowind or even Oblivion, but Skyrim?

Oblivion didn't get the best press and Morrowind is so old the average
next Gen console gamer never heard of it and it would require a MASSIVE
rewrite of the engine and graphic overhaul to bring it up to modern
spec.

Remember that cell thing they did so it could run on the consoles of the
time?   If you were sprinting and had the Boots of Blinding Speed, you
could be crossing those cells and getting a loading stutter every 20
seconds or so.

Carrying a light source and having it light up the cell boundary wasn't
so cool either.

It would be a lot of work - enough work that realistically, they'd have
to sell the update, and I don't think the beancounters would go for
green lighting a project to sell an update for a game that's 14 years
old.

Besides, if they left the game mechanics alone and just updated the
graphics it would *really* underscore how watered down and choiceless
Skyrim is by comparison.

So either the shoot themselves in the foot by showing the current crop
of gamers how much better they used to do it, or they'd remake Morrowind
into the RPG-Lite mold that Skyrim was cast in.

Kind of Lose-Lose.

It would be nice if they did, and if they did remake Morrowind with the
play and mechanics exactly as they were, but with modern graphics and
without those tiny little cells interrupting play, I'd rebuy it at new
game prices for sure.

Proper spellmaking and item enchantment, proper kinds of spells,
crossbows, a decent sized play area, factions and Skyrim level graphics
- Oh Hell Yes!

Xocyll

Xocyll