Temple of Elemental Evil; Can't loot bodies

I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot
dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing
happens. I have to sleep for a day, then the body vanishes and I can
pick up the loot one piece at a time. Even this is a pain, I click on
a single item and only one in 3 clicks actually picks it up. When it
fails to pick the item up I have to move the cursor a pixel to make it
"Find" the item again.

PC - Budget original UK version (Atari)

Tried installing the USE - ANY patch 2 - No joy.

Zan
0
zanziba
10/2/2004 4:02:00 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg 10727 articles. 0 followers. jonahnynla (1774) is leader. Post Follow

On 2 Oct 2004 09:02:00 -0700, zanziba@flaming.force9.co.uk (Zanziba)
wrote:

>I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot
>dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing
>happens. I have to sleep for a day, then the body vanishes and I can
>pick up the loot one piece at a time. Even this is a pain, I click on
>a single item and only one in 3 clicks actually picks it up. When it
>fails to pick the item up I have to move the cursor a pixel to make it
>"Find" the item again.
>
>PC - Budget original UK version (Atari)
>
>Tried installing the USE - ANY patch 2 - No joy.
>
>Zan

Zan,

I never did sit down and read through the manual, but check it out. If
you hit the TAB key, it will identify objects on the screen that can
either be picked up or interacted with.

The second thing is, from what I have seen, only players that you
create can loot corpses. The in game NPC's that you recruit, like Elmo
for example, cannot physically grab loot. If you try and loot a corpse
with one of the NPC's, they will just stand there and do nothing.
NPC's receive their share of the loot automatically.

So, when looting a corpse, grab one of your own characters, hit the
TAB key, and click on the little titles that come up over the corpses
and items. It will go alot smoother. It's not a total fix, but it's
alot better.

Also remember that the in game NPC's take their share of the loot
first, before one of your characters can get to it. So the first time
you use one of your characters to loot a corpse, they will stand there
while the game figures out what the NPC's are going to take. You will
see the little text float up informing you of this. You will have to
click on the corpse a second time to get your character to loot it.
BUT, if the NPC's took all of the loot from the corpse, then there is
nothing more to loot, so your just standing there clicking with
growing hostility and angst. The loot is all gone. Your NPC's took it.

Finally, realize that one of this games biggest flaws is what we are
talking about right here, with the looting and so fourth (stores are a
pain too). The sad part is, the concept itself is kind of cool, it's
the execution that spoiled everything. Anyway I hope this helps you
out. I had similar problems myself. For awhile I wasn't even sure if
the game even allowed you to loot corpses.

Ooze

"There isn't going to be a new world order,
 but the lines ARE going to get a little longer."
0
GreyOoze
10/2/2004 5:39:03 PM
"Zanziba" <zanziba@flaming.force9.co.uk> wrote in message
>I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot
> dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing
> happens. I have to sleep for a day, then the body vanishes and I can
> pick up the loot one piece at a time. Even this is a pain, I click on
> a single item and only one in 3 clicks actually picks it up. When it
> fails to pick the item up I have to move the cursor a pixel to make it
> "Find" the item again.
>
> PC - Budget original UK version (Atari)
>
> Tried installing the USE - ANY patch 2 - No joy.

I have the same bug with the version I bought game from trygames.com
recently.
Strangely enough, in the training-mission it works fine. I originally got it
from trygames right after it came out, and had no problems then so I know
it's buggy now.

0
PKH
10/3/2004 7:35:03 AM
wrote:

>I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot
>dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing

You're using Directx 9.0c, included in windows xp SP2.

While waiting for a patch  (maybe when Vampire bloodlines will be
released), you can loot in combat mode (press c)

Guillaume
0
Guillaume
10/3/2004 7:40:14 AM
Guillaume JAY <gjay_diespammer-die@free.fr> wrote in message news:<92bvl0hi67be9gd410ul9mdatpvfh1ksqq@4ax.com>...
> On 2 Oct 2004 09:02:00 -0700, zanziba@flaming.force9.co.uk (Zanziba)
> wrote:
>
> >I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot
> >dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing
>
> You're using Directx 9.0c, included in windows xp SP2.
>
> While waiting for a patch  (maybe when Vampire bloodlines will be
> released), you can loot in combat mode (press c)
>
> Guillaume

That makes sense, last night I spent ages trying to sort it and
discovered I could loot bodies as long asthe battle wasn't over. So I
was leaving the weakest enemy to last then iognoring him as I looted
the bodies of the dea, killing him last. Pressing "C" goes back into
combat mose after the battle? Cheers, I'll try that one tonight, I
never read the manuals in PDF format, only when they are books.

Out of interest I have found the correct patch 1.0 ENU but this
doesn't remove the glitch. Did someone mention a sequel was coming
out?

I use to play D&D, and a little AD&D as a child but I see the spells
in this only go up to level 5... Wonder if they'll extend that in any
sequel?

Zan
0
zanziba
10/4/2004 9:15:53 AM
> I use to play D&D, and a little AD&D as a child but I see the spells
> in this only go up to level 5... Wonder if they'll extend that in any
> sequel?

This level limitation is by ToEE.
D&D 3e has the "normal" rules up to level 20, then its the "epic" rules...
which covers up to level 40. Characters development changes after level 20,
and can gain epic feats and spells.

0
KC
10/4/2004 10:07:35 AM
"KC Wong" <my@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2scln9F1ijg8eU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > I use to play D&D, and a little AD&D as a child but I see the spells
> > in this only go up to level 5... Wonder if they'll extend that in any
> > sequel?
>
> This level limitation is by ToEE.
> D&D 3e has the "normal" rules up to level 20, then its the "epic" rules...
> which covers up to level 40. Characters development changes after level 20,
> and can gain epic feats and spells.

I used the press "c" system last night and it works a treat.
Excellent. Do you know if a sequel is coming out for this game, or an
expansion of any kind?

Zan
0
zanziba
10/5/2004 7:18:37 AM
> > > I use to play D&D, and a little AD&D as a child but I see the spells
> > > in this only go up to level 5... Wonder if they'll extend that in any
> > > sequel?
> >
> Excellent. Do you know if a sequel is coming out for this game, or an
> expansion of any kind?

I think not... Troika's really messed up in ToEE.

Too many bugs, and even after the latest official patch. You can't really
play and expect to enjoy without the Co8 patches.

Also the original ToEE module is very hack-n-slash'ish... while not a
mistake of Troika (they might not be able to change the module without legal
problems), many fans expected more from Troika... and unavoidably ToEE is
compared to the Fallout series and Arcanum... which makes ToEE looks quite
bad.

I played and enjoyed Arcanum very much (feel that it does not measure up to
the Fallout series, but decided to give them a break since its their very
first game)... and therefore bought ToEE without much thought, after reading
a few posts about it (I thought: It can't be that bad, can it? It's from
Troika!). You can imagine I was surprised by the low quality of ToEE. I
think they hired the wrong people in their dev team...

Sequel? I'd welcome a Return to Temple of Elemental Evil, but Troika has to
make it better than Arcanum. Oh, and don't mess up the coming VtM too... or
I'll never buy another Troika games until they're in the bargain bin.

0
KC
10/5/2004 7:41:52 AM
KC Wong wrote:
> Also the original ToEE module is very hack-n-slash'ish... while not a
> mistake of Troika (they might not be able to change the module without legal
> problems), many fans expected more from Troika...
> Sequel? I'd welcome a Return to Temple of Elemental Evil, ...

Then you'd HATE Return.  It's mostly a HUGE dungeon crawl through
endless dwarven tunnels.
--

-Bill
0
"KC Wong" <my@privacy.net> writes:

> Also the original ToEE module is very hack-n-slash'ish... while not a
> mistake of Troika (they might not be able to change the module without legal
> problems), many fans expected more from Troika...

And the advance marketting made it seem like there was indeed going
to be a lot more to the game.  But most of the Troika-ness ended early
on once you left Hommlet.

--
Darin Johnson
    Laziness is the father of invention
Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote in message news:<cu1oejguaam.fsf@nokia.com>...
> "KC Wong" <my@privacy.net> writes:
>
> > Also the original ToEE module is very hack-n-slash'ish... while not a
> > mistake of Troika (they might not be able to change the module without legal
> > problems), many fans expected more from Troika...
>
> And the advance marketting made it seem like there was indeed going
> to be a lot more to the game.  But most of the Troika-ness ended early
> on once you left Hommlet.

There are bugs but I still enjoy the game. the most annoying thing is
that the only place I can find to sleep safely to recover spells /
health is the tower at the Moat House. I am now on the 3rd level down
in the ToEE and I get attacked whenever I rest and hence end up sying
eventually. I was crawling all the way out and back to the moat house
to rest but that was getting annoying.

Now I have gone down the Red spiral stairs to the bottom I cac't seem
to get back up. I am trapped on the lower levels and I have run out of
heal spells etc. Also, how the hell do you kill that damn Jugernaut.
My characters are level 6 (Fighter, Barbarian, CLeric, Mage) and they
can't touch it.

Cheers
0
zanziba
10/7/2004 7:17:46 AM
> There are bugs but I still enjoy the game. the most annoying thing is

Aye, ToEE is the best 3E combat simulator around.

> that the only place I can find to sleep safely to recover spells /
> health is the tower at the Moat House. I am now on the 3rd level down
> in the ToEE and I get attacked whenever I rest and hence end up sying

Shouldn't be like that... I slept a lot down there. I usually just go inside
a room (when all nearby rooms and passages are already cleared), shut all
the doors and I'm all set for an uninterrupted hit point and spell recovery.

> eventually. I was crawling all the way out and back to the moat house
> to rest but that was getting annoying.

The latest official patch added something (is it a key stroke or something?)
that allows *somewhat* faster movement... it takes you to the last area
transition point you've used. It won't take you out of the temple for all
cases, but you'll at least have 1 level less to crawl through.

> Now I have gone down the Red spiral stairs to the bottom I cac't seem
> to get back up. I am trapped on the lower levels and I have run out of
> heal spells etc. Also, how the hell do you kill that damn Jugernaut.
> My characters are level 6 (Fighter, Barbarian, CLeric, Mage) and they
> can't touch it.

I have never been trapped the several times I've played... are you sure you
haven't missed a door/passage/exit?

My party is usually around level 8 when they meet that ugly thing... it's
still quite tough, but absolutely doable. Just distract it with your
meat-shield backed by a healer, and dispatch the critters/priests nearby
first.

0
KC
10/7/2004 8:28:05 AM
"> I have never been trapped the several times I've played... are you
sure you
> haven't missed a door/passage/exit?

I can't see a ladder / stairs anywhere to get back up.

If you could describe the route from the juggernaut room please...

I came down into the big room with a circle in the middle but can see
no route to get back up. (From juggernaut... North through door, north
to crossroads, left through door)

Thanx

Zan
0
zanziba
10/9/2004 9:38:28 PM
The combat engine for TOEE (minus the bugs) was the best I've ever
played. Absolutely fantastic.

TOEE was a game that could have been a classic if it had
been released when it was ready.

0
emolsen
10/11/2004 10:44:10 PM
Bitstring <R-GdnbLdr45okfbcRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, from the wonderful
person emolsen <emolsen@comcast.net> said
>The combat engine for TOEE (minus the bugs) was the best I've ever
>played. Absolutely fantastic.
>
>TOEE was a game that could have been a classic if it had
>been released when it was ready.

Meaning 'sometime next year' I guess. 8>.

--
GSV   Three Minds in a Can
GSV
In article <R-GdnbLdr45okfbcRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, emolsen wrote:
> The combat engine for TOEE (minus the bugs) was the best I've
> ever played. Absolutely fantastic.

They truly needed the combat grid. Positioning my characters was
much more difficult than it needed to be.

> TOEE was a game that could have been a classic if it had been
> released when it was ready.

It never had a chance to be a classic.  It was too old school,
and all the slots in the old school classics shelf are full. ;)

--
Neil Cerutti
The world is more like it is now than it ever has been before.
> It never had a chance to be a classic.  It was too old school,
> and all the slots in the old school classics shelf are full. ;)

If I loved the game, except for the multitude of bugs, what games
would you recommend as being a similar genre?

Zan
0
zanziba