Temple of Elemental Evil; Can't loot bodies

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot
dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing
happens. I have to sleep for a day, then the body vanishes and I can
pick up the loot one piece at a time. Even this is a pain, I click on
a single item and only one in 3 clicks actually picks it up. When it
fails to pick the item up I have to move the cursor a pixel to make it
"Find" the item again.

PC - Budget original UK version (Atari)

Tried installing the USE - ANY patch 2 - No joy.

Zan
0
Reply zanziba 10/2/2004 4:02:00 PM

See related articles to this posting

On 2 Oct 2004 09:02:00 -0700, zanziba@flaming.force9.co.uk (Zanziba)
wrote:

>I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot
>dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing
>happens. I have to sleep for a day, then the body vanishes and I can
>pick up the loot one piece at a time. Even this is a pain, I click on
>a single item and only one in 3 clicks actually picks it up. When it
>fails to pick the item up I have to move the cursor a pixel to make it
>"Find" the item again.
>
>PC - Budget original UK version (Atari)
>
>Tried installing the USE - ANY patch 2 - No joy.
>
>Zan

Zan,

I never did sit down and read through the manual, but check it out. If
you hit the TAB key, it will identify objects on the screen that can
either be picked up or interacted with.

The second thing is, from what I have seen, only players that you
create can loot corpses. The in game NPC's that you recruit, like Elmo
for example, cannot physically grab loot. If you try and loot a corpse
with one of the NPC's, they will just stand there and do nothing.
NPC's receive their share of the loot automatically.

So, when looting a corpse, grab one of your own characters, hit the
TAB key, and click on the little titles that come up over the corpses
and items. It will go alot smoother. It's not a total fix, but it's
alot better.

Also remember that the in game NPC's take their share of the loot
first, before one of your characters can get to it. So the first time
you use one of your characters to loot a corpse, they will stand there
while the game figures out what the NPC's are going to take. You will
see the little text float up informing you of this. You will have to
click on the corpse a second time to get your character to loot it.
BUT, if the NPC's took all of the loot from the corpse, then there is
nothing more to loot, so your just standing there clicking with
growing hostility and angst. The loot is all gone. Your NPC's took it.

Finally, realize that one of this games biggest flaws is what we are
talking about right here, with the looting and so fourth (stores are a
pain too). The sad part is, the concept itself is kind of cool, it's
the execution that spoiled everything. Anyway I hope this helps you
out. I had similar problems myself. For awhile I wasn't even sure if
the game even allowed you to loot corpses.

Ooze

"There isn't going to be a new world order,
 but the lines ARE going to get a little longer."
0
Reply GreyOoze 10/2/2004 5:39:03 PM

"Zanziba" <zanziba@flaming.force9.co.uk> wrote in message
>I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot
> dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing
> happens. I have to sleep for a day, then the body vanishes and I can
> pick up the loot one piece at a time. Even this is a pain, I click on
> a single item and only one in 3 clicks actually picks it up. When it
> fails to pick the item up I have to move the cursor a pixel to make it
> "Find" the item again.
>
> PC - Budget original UK version (Atari)
>
> Tried installing the USE - ANY patch 2 - No joy.

I have the same bug with the version I bought game from trygames.com
recently.
Strangely enough, in the training-mission it works fine. I originally got it
from trygames right after it came out, and had no problems then so I know
it's buggy now.

0
Reply PKH 10/3/2004 7:35:03 AM

wrote:

>I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot
>dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing

You're using Directx 9.0c, included in windows xp SP2.

While waiting for a patch  (maybe when Vampire bloodlines will be
released), you can loot in combat mode (press c)

Guillaume
0
Reply Guillaume 10/3/2004 7:40:14 AM

Guillaume JAY <gjay_diespammer-die@free.fr> wrote in message news:<92bvl0hi67be9gd410ul9mdatpvfh1ksqq@4ax.com>...
> On 2 Oct 2004 09:02:00 -0700, zanziba@flaming.force9.co.uk (Zanziba)
> wrote:
>
> >I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot
> >dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing
>
> You're using Directx 9.0c, included in windows xp SP2.
>
> While waiting for a patch  (maybe when Vampire bloodlines will be
> released), you can loot in combat mode (press c)
>
> Guillaume

That makes sense, last night I spent ages trying to sort it and
discovered I could loot bodies as long asthe battle wasn't over. So I
was leaving the weakest enemy to last then iognoring him as I looted
the bodies of the dea, killing him last. Pressing "C" goes back into
combat mose after the battle? Cheers, I'll try that one tonight, I
never read the manuals in PDF format, only when they are books.

Out of interest I have found the correct patch 1.0 ENU but this
doesn't remove the glitch. Did someone mention a sequel was coming
out?

I use to play D&D, and a little AD&D as a child but I see the spells
in this only go up to level 5... Wonder if they'll extend that in any
sequel?

Zan
0
Reply zanziba 10/4/2004 9:15:53 AM

> I use to play D&D, and a little AD&D as a child but I see the spells
> in this only go up to level 5... Wonder if they'll extend that in any
> sequel?

This level limitation is by ToEE.
D&D 3e has the "normal" rules up to level 20, then its the "epic" rules...
which covers up to level 40. Characters development changes after level 20,
and can gain epic feats and spells.

0
Reply KC 10/4/2004 10:07:35 AM

"KC Wong" <my@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<2scln9F1ijg8eU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> > I use to play D&D, and a little AD&D as a child but I see the spells
> > in this only go up to level 5... Wonder if they'll extend that in any
> > sequel?
>
> This level limitation is by ToEE.
> D&D 3e has the "normal" rules up to level 20, then its the "epic" rules...
> which covers up to level 40. Characters development changes after level 20,
> and can gain epic feats and spells.

I used the press "c" system last night and it works a treat.
Excellent. Do you know if a sequel is coming out for this game, or an
expansion of any kind?

Zan
0
Reply zanziba 10/5/2004 7:18:37 AM

> > > I use to play D&D, and a little AD&D as a child but I see the spells
> > > in this only go up to level 5... Wonder if they'll extend that in any
> > > sequel?
> >
> Excellent. Do you know if a sequel is coming out for this game, or an
> expansion of any kind?

I think not... Troika's really messed up in ToEE.

Too many bugs, and even after the latest official patch. You can't really
play and expect to enjoy without the Co8 patches.

Also the original ToEE module is very hack-n-slash'ish... while not a
mistake of Troika (they might not be able to change the module without legal
problems), many fans expected more from Troika... and unavoidably ToEE is
compared to the Fallout series and Arcanum... which makes ToEE looks quite
bad.

I played and enjoyed Arcanum very much (feel that it does not measure up to
the Fallout series, but decided to give them a break since its their very
first game)... and therefore bought ToEE without much thought, after reading
a few posts about it (I thought: It can't be that bad, can it? It's from
Troika!). You can imagine I was surprised by the low quality of ToEE. I
think they hired the wrong people in their dev team...

Sequel? I'd welcome a Return to Temple of Elemental Evil, but Troika has to
make it better than Arcanum. Oh, and don't mess up the coming VtM too... or
I'll never buy another Troika games until they're in the bargain bin.

0
Reply KC 10/5/2004 7:41:52 AM

KC Wong wrote:
> Also the original ToEE module is very hack-n-slash'ish... while not a
> mistake of Troika (they might not be able to change the module without legal
> problems), many fans expected more from Troika...
> Sequel? I'd welcome a Return to Temple of Elemental Evil, ...

Then you'd HATE Return.  It's mostly a HUGE dungeon crawl through
endless dwarven tunnels.
--

-Bill
0

"KC Wong" <my@privacy.net> writes:

> Also the original ToEE module is very hack-n-slash'ish... while not a
> mistake of Troika (they might not be able to change the module without legal
> problems), many fans expected more from Troika...

And the advance marketting made it seem like there was indeed going
to be a lot more to the game.  But most of the Troika-ness ended early
on once you left Hommlet.

--
Darin Johnson
    Laziness is the father of invention

Darin Johnson <darin_@_usa_._net> wrote in message news:<cu1oejguaam.fsf@nokia.com>...
> "KC Wong" <my@privacy.net> writes:
>
> > Also the original ToEE module is very hack-n-slash'ish... while not a
> > mistake of Troika (they might not be able to change the module without legal
> > problems), many fans expected more from Troika...
>
> And the advance marketting made it seem like there was indeed going
> to be a lot more to the game.  But most of the Troika-ness ended early
> on once you left Hommlet.

There are bugs but I still enjoy the game. the most annoying thing is
that the only place I can find to sleep safely to recover spells /
health is the tower at the Moat House. I am now on the 3rd level down
in the ToEE and I get attacked whenever I rest and hence end up sying
eventually. I was crawling all the way out and back to the moat house
to rest but that was getting annoying.

Now I have gone down the Red spiral stairs to the bottom I cac't seem
to get back up. I am trapped on the lower levels and I have run out of
heal spells etc. Also, how the hell do you kill that damn Jugernaut.
My characters are level 6 (Fighter, Barbarian, CLeric, Mage) and they
can't touch it.

Cheers
0
Reply zanziba 10/7/2004 7:17:46 AM

> There are bugs but I still enjoy the game. the most annoying thing is

Aye, ToEE is the best 3E combat simulator around.

> that the only place I can find to sleep safely to recover spells /
> health is the tower at the Moat House. I am now on the 3rd level down
> in the ToEE and I get attacked whenever I rest and hence end up sying

Shouldn't be like that... I slept a lot down there. I usually just go inside
a room (when all nearby rooms and passages are already cleared), shut all
the doors and I'm all set for an uninterrupted hit point and spell recovery.

> eventually. I was crawling all the way out and back to the moat house
> to rest but that was getting annoying.

The latest official patch added something (is it a key stroke or something?)
that allows *somewhat* faster movement... it takes you to the last area
transition point you've used. It won't take you out of the temple for all
cases, but you'll at least have 1 level less to crawl through.

> Now I have gone down the Red spiral stairs to the bottom I cac't seem
> to get back up. I am trapped on the lower levels and I have run out of
> heal spells etc. Also, how the hell do you kill that damn Jugernaut.
> My characters are level 6 (Fighter, Barbarian, CLeric, Mage) and they
> can't touch it.

I have never been trapped the several times I've played... are you sure you
haven't missed a door/passage/exit?

My party is usually around level 8 when they meet that ugly thing... it's
still quite tough, but absolutely doable. Just distract it with your
meat-shield backed by a healer, and dispatch the critters/priests nearby
first.

0
Reply KC 10/7/2004 8:28:05 AM

"> I have never been trapped the several times I've played... are you
sure you
> haven't missed a door/passage/exit?

I can't see a ladder / stairs anywhere to get back up.

If you could describe the route from the juggernaut room please...

I came down into the big room with a circle in the middle but can see
no route to get back up. (From juggernaut... North through door, north
to crossroads, left through door)

Thanx

Zan
0
Reply zanziba 10/9/2004 9:38:28 PM

The combat engine for TOEE (minus the bugs) was the best I've ever
played. Absolutely fantastic.

TOEE was a game that could have been a classic if it had
been released when it was ready.

0
Reply emolsen 10/11/2004 10:44:10 PM

Bitstring <R-GdnbLdr45okfbcRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, from the wonderful
person emolsen <emolsen@comcast.net> said
>The combat engine for TOEE (minus the bugs) was the best I've ever
>played. Absolutely fantastic.
>
>TOEE was a game that could have been a classic if it had
>been released when it was ready.

Meaning 'sometime next year' I guess. 8>.

--
GSV   Three Minds in a Can
Reply GSV 10/11/2004 10:55:11 PM

In article <R-GdnbLdr45okfbcRVn-uQ@comcast.com>, emolsen wrote:
> The combat engine for TOEE (minus the bugs) was the best I've
> ever played. Absolutely fantastic.

They truly needed the combat grid. Positioning my characters was
much more difficult than it needed to be.

> TOEE was a game that could have been a classic if it had been
> released when it was ready.

It never had a chance to be a classic.  It was too old school,
and all the slots in the old school classics shelf are full. ;)

--
Neil Cerutti
The world is more like it is now than it ever has been before.

> It never had a chance to be a classic.  It was too old school,
> and all the slots in the old school classics shelf are full. ;)

If I loved the game, except for the multitude of bugs, what games
would you recommend as being a similar genre?

Zan
0
Reply zanziba 10/15/2004 7:14:04 AM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg 10693 articles. 19 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Temple of Elemental Evil; Can't loot bodies
I love this game but I seem to have a bug. My characters wont loot dead bodies. I left click on a body, (It glows blue) and nothing happens. I have to sleep for a day, then the body vanishes and I can pick up the loot one piece at a time. Even this is a pain, I click on a single item and only one in 3 clicks actually picks it up. When it fails to pick the item up I have to move the cursor a pixel to make it "Find" the item again. PC - Budget original UK version (Atari) Tried installing the USE - ANY patch 2 - No joy. Zan On 2 Oct 2004 09:02:00 -0700, zanziba@flaming.force9.co.uk ...

Temple of Elemental Evil...?
Howdy all - a few quick questions. This game's been released here in NZ as a budget title, and I was thinking of getting it... I heard it has a turn based battle system - kinda like the "traditional" systems like the one used in the old SSI games (were they by SSI? I was think of the original Pool of Radiance and the other games in the series...) What games would you compare this game to, and also in your opinion is it worth getting? <=[BC]=> No as Computer Gaming World (CGW) reviewed it "wouldn't recommend it without the patch, wouldn't recommend it wi...

Trouble with Temple of Elemental Evil
I have the first 2 patches installed, the Fan Fixes V3 and Livonya's Beta 1.5.1 Mod installed. I've just hit L3, got to the Temple adn Nulb, and had an look around. Now, when I travel overland, I have an encounder where I find a caravan that's been attacked by Gnolls. I talk to a woman who dies shortly after, then I get stuck. For some reason, I can't leave the map. There's nothing to pick up, no-one to talk to and no boxes to open. And when I open the map page, I'm told I can't access the World Map from this location. Any help ? I think there's a broken ...

Temple Of Elemental Evil Patches
I've just bought Temple Of Elemental Evil in the =A35 budget section of a local computer gaming store and I really like it. Problem is, it has loads of bugs which spoil it. I downloaded the patches which are supposed to fix it and also a user made patch. However, when I patch it, the game no longer loads up. The screen goes black for a second and I'm dumped back to the desktop. Does anybody have any idea why this is and if there is a way to get round this problem? I'm running it on Windows XP with Direct X 9c and my system is an Athlon 64 3500 with 1 gig RAM, Nvidia 6600 GT video...

Temple of Elemental Evil for Sale
Temple of Elemental Evil for Sale - $25 shipped - Box, manual, and CD's are in perfect condition. I will accept a check or money order. I would do COD as well but that would be $5 extra,. Please e-mail me if interested. Howard Heisler howard.heisler@verizon.net ...

Temple of Elemental Evil is GOLD!
Woohoo! Dig it babies! http://www.gamespydaily.com/#PQN438983 It'll be here Sept 23rd - hopefully sooner! Everyone, and I mean everyone - even people who hate CRPGs - needs to buy this game! Tim Cain is the man! "Sniffy" <sniffy@wiffy.com> wrote in message news:3f57a90a_1@aeinews.... > Woohoo! Dig it babies! > > http://www.gamespydaily.com/#PQN438983 > > It'll be here Sept 23rd - hopefully sooner! Everyone, and I mean everyone - > even people who hate CRPGs - needs to buy this game! Tim Cain is the man! I don't know about it coming out so so...

Temple of Elemental Evil 160121
So is this baby due out on the 15th or 23rd of Sept? I keep hearing conflicting reports. Man, I want this game so much. Can hardly wait to fight gelatinous cubes! "Sniffy" <sniffy@wiffy.com> wrote in message news:3f579f6e$1_1@aeinews.... > So is this baby due out on the 15th or 23rd of Sept? I keep hearing > conflicting reports. Man, I want this game so much. Can hardly wait to fight > gelatinous cubes! I believe it will be released in October... ...

Temple of Elemental Evil and Python
*** First of all, if there is a previous post on Temple of Elemental Evil, please provide a link to that/them so in order to create a larger resource on this game. Thanks! (Merci) ;-) *** Temple of Elemental Evil is a game for all us that don't know. It was brought up previously on this board some months ago and recently I had asked a question on whether this game would contain python scripting. Well, first of all, Temple of Elemental Evil does provide python scripting so that right there makes this game one of python success stories (I believe someone has already mentioned this before o...

Temple of Elemental Evil
Is there a listing of key board short cuts listed anywhere on the web for easy access? Any walkthrough sites as well? The interface for this game really takes some getting used to. Thanks, Tmuld. On 16 Oct 2004 08:21:37 -0700, tmuldoon@spliced.com (Tavish Muldoon) wrote: >Is there a listing of key board short cuts listed anywhere on the web >for easy access? > >Any walkthrough sites as well? > >The interface for this game really takes some getting used to. > >Thanks, > >Tmuld. There is a decent walkthrough of this game here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/com...

Temple of Elemental Evil questions.
More questions! What does being 'Flat footed' mean? Is this a good or bad thing? Cleric Domain spells - my Cleric is 6th Level and has only 1 domain spell - should he have more by now? How do I get more. Regular spells are fine. Reputation - I got into a bar fight in Nulb - now everyone says I 'defiled' a woman. When I talk to people the call me 'scum' - but still do everything normally. It is like it does not affect anything. But how do I correct this? I got into a fight with many Bugbears - but I did have a Hill Giant NPC who stomped them - but the game REAL...

Temple of Elemental Evil
Hello, Well, finally knocked off a demon or two - got the elemental stones. So I summoned one to help fight off a another demon - it did nothing! It got attacked but would not fight the other demon. Will demons fight other demons? I also think I missed something. I checked my journal and it does not tell me what I am suppose to do when I kill a demon. I went back to the priest on the lower level who wanted me to kill some people and he just teleports me to the Temple. Where do I find my objective now? Also - I found this game to be pretty good - is there a sequel or anything like it i...

Temple of Elemental Evil
I killed all the demons (got 4 stones) and pretty much everybody else is dead on that level. Now what? I checked my objectives in my log book. Consulted the manual - no idea what to do. There is a priest on the lower level that got me to the Temple. But I am not sure if I have missed anything or the game bugged out on me. Only once, my characters were able to 'walk' through a wall - and the game autosaved. But everything seemed alright - so I think it was a one time screw up. Did it affect the game play? I did install a hack that allowed me to get past level 10 - of course now...

Temple of Elemental Evil 426700
I've avoided this title because of its reputation for bugs. Now that the 2nd patch is available -- is it worth picking up? Love D&D games. Stuart Pierce Stuart Pierce said: >I've avoided this title because of its reputation for bugs. Now that the >2nd patch is available -- is it worth picking up? Love D&D games. Yes, if you like really detailed, thoughtful combat emulators, like Wizardry 8. Personally I love 'em, but they're not everyone's cup o' tea. -- Stephen Mackey "Stuart Pierce" <stuartwpREMOVE@adelphia.net> wrote in new...

Temple of Elemental Evil question
I have downloaded 3 patches for Temple of Elemental Evil: patch 1, patch 2, and patch 3. My question is do I need to install all 3 patches or is patch 3 cumulative? Please answer to this group. Thanks in advance. If you want to use the Co8 unofficial patches, they recommend only installing up to patch 1.2. look here: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1372 ...

Temple of Elemental Evil
Well, I played it for about four hours last night; it would've been three save for the constant lockups and auto-reboots. It was on my father-in-law's system (2ghz P4, 512mb RAM, GeForce3 Ti, ASUS mobo); I reinstalled the latest Dets and that seemed to help a little. After I'd done that I only had one spontaneous reboot. Noodled around quite a bit; I already hate the NPC looting. I slew some Gnolls in the caves 'neath the Moathouse, and when I'd loot a body of course I'd get the "NPC Looting" text scroll by. He (Elmo) is looting Silver while we loot Copper...

temple of elemental evil patch
temple of elemental evil patch http://cracks.12w.net F R E E C R A C K S ...

Temple of Elemental Evil for Sale
Temple of Elemental Evil for Sale - $25 shipped - Box, manual, and CD's are in perfect condition. I will accept a check or money order. I would do COD as well but that would be $5 extra,. Please e-mail me if interested. Howard Heisler howard.heisler@verizon.net ...

Temple of Elemental Evil
How do you kill trolls? Right now - I render them unconscious - then have to use fire balls to kill them. Problem is - I have relatively few fireballs because of the 1 wizard I have. How else do I permanently kill trolls? Thanks, Tmuld. "Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.com> wrote in message news:e2470f35.0410270627.1c591021@posting.google.com... > How do you kill trolls? > > Right now - I render them unconscious - then have to use fire balls to > kill them. Problem is - I have relatively few fireballs because of > the 1 wizard I have. > > How else...

FS: Temple of Elemental Evil
I'm asking $10, plus $4.50 US priority mail shipping, for Temple of Elemental Evil. It's complete with the box -upc, manual, and original cdroms. Email me if you're interested, -- James Frith j.frith@comcast.net ...

Temple of Elemental Evil
Hello, Just got Temple of Elemental Evil - on installing I get this error. System: Windows 2000 SP3 80gig 512 Megs ram 32 meg Video Card Nvidia Component Transfer Error Component: Default Component File Group: File: Error: Catastrophic Error (Nothing else running in the background) A bit generic! So I copied all the files from the CDs to a folder on my HD - same error. You could see all the creatures come up on the screen as it loaded. I think it was on file ToEE.dat Any ideas what is going on here? Work arounds? Thanks, Tmuld. "Tavish Muldoon" <tmuldoon@spliced.c...

Temple of Elemental Evil or Homeworld 2
I am a fan of exquisite strategy and role playing games and it is likely I'll buy and get good gaming value from both. However, I have time to pick and play only one of these and wouldn't want to waste my time over an overhyped flop. <shudders after remembering the Lionheart disaster> What is the consensus on these games when it comes to a first day purchase? Do you think the advanced missile destroyers of H2 have better THAC0 than a high level monk? (*) How about upgrading my fighters in ToEE for better shields and scanning radius? In H2 is just better to go the route of cap...

Temple of Elemental Evil helps/tips?
H'lo, Sometimes I get into a battle - the music starts up and the time bar appears on the side. Is there any way to run away. When I do - I have to move each character individually. I can't do a 'select all' and try to get away can I? Is there a short cut key to save the game? Right now I hit Esc and save - the choose the game to save Zert the NPC never has the option in combat to hit anything unless I select him, choose offense then single strike. His character never automatically has a sword over a target - why is that? Any other tips or tricks (not cheats) any one c...

Temple of Elemental Evil
Hello, I have a hill giant in my group - I need to rest and get some stuff identified. I went back to Hommlet - no one will let me stay because of the 'monster'. As well - I need to get stuff identified - no one will talk to me. Besides dumping the hill giant who is very handy - how do I get stuff identified. My 1 wizard can onluy cast so many spells.... Thanks, Tmuld ...

Temple of Elemental Evil
I am sure that this has been mentioned before, but a good way to get exp in Temple of Elemental Evil is to go to a wild area, clear the map, then rest. You will get encounters for exp and loot. Be sure to quick save just in case. P.S. This is a good way to also kill off a NPC to loot the body. Just remove their armour and let them fight! ...

Temple of Elemental Evil Basic Q
I just bought TEE having found it for $9.98 at Half Price Books. Downloaded and installed the patches. Got ready to play. Got my ass handed to me in the friggin' tutorial. Why? Because, try as I might, I don't get it. I can have my main character walk and swing and attack someone. No problem. What I can't do is figure out how to use the radial dial/thingie to get the wizard to do anything but get reamed. How does one fight in this system? The manual is absolutely no help at all as it seems to assume you already know what it's going to tell you, so why tell you? Any...