TOEE - Party, stats etc,

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I've played a few different parties, trying different things out. I'm not a
d&d 3.x officiando and need some guidance. First the party. I am have two
right now that I like:

Fighter Paladin Cleric Rogue and Sorcerer
Fighter Monk Cleric Rogue and Wizard

Both parties do pretty well. Any thoughts on improving these parties? Is the
wizard as good as the sorcerer in the long run? I like the multiple magic
missiles that my sorcerer has, but the wizard has many more spells to choose
from.

I love monks but not sure how well monks do in this game. They worked pretty
well in NWN and I loved my monks from Bards Tale. Should the monk use the
staff he starts with or go unarmed all the time? Do the monk bonuses really
only apply to unarmed combat? And if you get light armor skill for the monk
does it affect his unarmed capability? Can the monk replace the rogue
assuming you have magical open door, knock capability, and good searching
skills.

For skills and stats,  it seems that it is imperative that you have high
intelligence in all party members because of the skill points you get. My
fighter in the second party has 11 intelligence and gets, I think, 3 skill
points per level. This is brutal. My Rogue gets a huge number, 20 plus. Is
this totally based on intelligence or are there race and or other factors
that come into play?

The first party had done pretty well and has cleared the moat house and is
ready to head on. The second party is just entering the moat house and has
done the town quests or at least most of them.

I guess what I am looking for is a little more information on what are the
critical stats and skills for the various party members that I have. I wish
I could edit the character stats so that I could get the critical stats high
enough but increase intelligence to get the skill points. Any guidance in
these areas would be appreciated.

0
Reply LoneCoyote 9/21/2003 8:50:19 PM

See related articles to this posting

"LoneCoyote" <lonecoyote@shaw.blabla.ca> writes:

> Both parties do pretty well. Any thoughts on improving these parties? Is the
> wizard as good as the sorcerer in the long run? I like the multiple magic
> missiles that my sorcerer has, but the wizard has many more spells to choose
> from.

My strategy has been to have a single-classed Wizard, since those 3rd
level spells are extremely useful (you know the ones I'm talking
about) and the Wizard gets them sooner, and more of them. I've got a
dual-classed rogue/sorc, and she mainly uses spells for id and read
magic.

> I love monks but not sure how well monks do in this game.

My monk's pretty effective, especially after 5th level when the bare
handed attacks start becoming effective. I suspect a human fighter
with a big weapon would still be doing more damage, but the monk is
fun and the idle adnimations are a riot.

I don't have all the answers to your questions about monks, but I
think a monk could replace a rogue, and knock is a 2nd level spell, so
it's not as though you'd be giving up magic missiles to memorize it.

> For skills and stats,  it seems that it is imperative that you have high
> intelligence in all party members because of the skill points you get. My
> fighter in the second party has 11 intelligence and gets, I think, 3 skill
> points per level. This is brutal. My Rogue gets a huge number, 20 plus. Is
> this totally based on intelligence or are there race and or other factors
> that come into play?

Rogues get  a ton more skill points than the other clases. It's
because their class specialties (disable device, open locks, the
traditional thieve's skills) are skill-based.

> The first party had done pretty well and has cleared the moat house and is
> ready to head on. The second party is just entering the moat house and has
> done the town quests or at least most of them.

With stats you kind of have to go with what you like best. My
characters with regular int scores aren't hurting too badly due to
lack of skill points... I screwed up my monk because she has a higher
int than wis, but it's hardly been a gamestopper and she's still a
really effective character.

Nick

--
#  sigmask  ||  0.2  ||  20030107  ||  public domain  ||  feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

"LoneCoyote" <lonecoyote@shaw.blabla.ca> wrote in

> Is the wizard as good as the sorcerer in the long run?

IMO wizard is a great addition to most parties.  Since a wizard can copy
any spell he finds into his spellbook and then scribe that spell to a
scroll, he becomes a great asset to the party.  If you have a bard or
rogue you can bump up their use magical device skill a lot and have the
ability to cast any spell your wizard can cast.  Plus the wizards always
get access to higher level spells one level earlier than the sorceror.

> I love monks but not sure how well monks do in this game. They worked
> pretty well in NWN and I loved my monks from Bards Tale. Should the
> monk use the staff he starts with or go unarmed all the time? Do the
> monk bonuses really only apply to unarmed combat? And if you get light
> armor skill for the monk does it affect his unarmed capability? Can
> the monk replace the rogue assuming you have magical open door, knock
> capability, and good searching skills.

Not sure about skills, but I can answer your other questions.  Monks can
only use their Flurry of Blows ability (on extra attack per round)
unarmed.  I think that their special moves like Stunning Fist and Ki
Strike also work unarmed only.  Also, when wearing any armor they cannot
use any special Monk abilities, including the Wisdom bonus to AC.

If I were to make a Monk in this game, I'd take two levels of Fighter
first, get Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike) and some other combat feats,
like Power Attack and Cleave, for instance.  Then when you take your
first level of Monk the -2 Flurry of Blows penalty will be offset by your
Fighter BAB and you'll be ahead of the game in feats.  Also remember that
if you want to multiclass a Monk, you can't return to the Monk class
after you've left it.  So if you had a level 1 Monk and took a level in
another class for level 2, you could never take another level of Monk.

> For skills and stats,  it seems that it is imperative that you have
> high intelligence in all party members because of the skill points you
> get.

It might seem that way, but some characters just don't need skill points.
With a party of five that you make yourself, you should be able to get
away with two characters with no skills.  I have a Half Orc Cleric of
Hextor with domains Destruction and War that is a great character, but
she has 4 int.  She gets 1 skill point per level which I put in
Concentration, and that's fine.  She doesn't need anything else.

I would recommend any Bards or Rogues having at least 17 if not 18 int.
Although you can increase it later, try for the 18 at first level,
because increases of int later on do not grant retroactive skill points,
unlike say, con which gives retroactive hit points for each level.

> My fighter in the second party has 11 intelligence and gets, I
> think, 3 skill points per level. This is brutal. My Rogue gets a huge
> number, 20 plus. Is this totally based on intelligence or are there
> race and or other factors that come into play?

Each class gets a number of skill points based on it's class.  Then your
int bonus is added to that.  Also, humans get 4 extra points at 1st level
and 1 each level thereafter.  So I'm assuming you have a human fighter
there.  He gets 2 points for being a fighter, 1 for being a human, and 0
from his int bonus.  If you increase his int to 12 he'll get an extra
point per level from then on.
0
Reply Brian 9/22/2003 3:26:29 PM

Thank you Nick and Brian. Some good information in there. My latest party
is:
Dwarf Fighter, Human Monk, Human Cleric, Hobbit Rogue, and Elf Sorcerer.
have used the high rolls in the right places according to the manual. ie
high charisma for the sorcerer and high charisma and wisdom for the cleric.
My characters are level 2 and well on their way to level 3. I am clearing
the mote house...again. 8) Great combat game, with lots of strategies you
need to consider when getting into a fight. I've lost a few characters in
some of these fights but if you repostion your party members and think
tactically you can usually overcome anything...usually.

"Brian Christopher Robinson" <a@b.c> wrote in message
> [...]
> Although you can increase it later, try for the 18 at first level,
> because increases of int later on do not grant retroactive skill points,
> unlike say, con which gives retroactive hit points for each level.
>
> > My fighter in the second party has 11 intelligence and gets, I
> > think, 3 skill points per level. This is brutal. My Rogue gets a huge
> > number, 20 plus. Is this totally based on intelligence or are there
> > race and or other factors that come into play?
>
> Each class gets a number of skill points based on it's class.  Then your
> int bonus is added to that.  Also, humans get 4 extra points at 1st level
> and 1 each level thereafter.  So I'm assuming you have a human fighter
> there.  He gets 2 points for being a fighter, 1 for being a human, and 0
> from his int bonus.  If you increase his int to 12 he'll get an extra

0
Reply LoneCoyote 9/22/2003 6:38:07 PM

On 22 Sep 2003 15:26:29 GMT, Brian Christopher Robinson <a@b.c> wrote:

>Not sure about skills, but I can answer your other questions.  Monks can
>only use their Flurry of Blows ability (on extra attack per round)
>unarmed.

  Also works with monk special weapons, including the quarterstaff.

> I think that their special moves like Stunning Fist and Ki
>Strike also work unarmed only.

  True, but in the PnP version, you are still be able to make an
unarmed stunning fist attack even if holding a weapon (feet, head,
elbows and knees ect).

-
To Reply: Take off every Zig!
EAC - Director of Temporal Adjustment
Ordained Minister - Universal Life Church
0
Reply Scott 9/22/2003 8:26:30 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg 11029 articles. 19 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Stat Question--number continuous nominal categorical etc.
Hello everyone, Here is my easy stat question fro today. Let's take age from 1 to 100. Clearly this variable is a number/continuous variable. Now let's bucket the age variable into, say, 15 buckets or however many buckets you wish. How would you classify that age variable now? Would you say it is a number/ordinal? No, bec. there is no implied order or significance in the categories. Would you say it is number/continuous? I don't know. How about number/nominal? Would you classiffy the bucketed age as number/nominal? In my situation I have MSAs. Each MSA (bucket) has the same $amo...

App Sessions table
Hi, I have a table on an informix database (IDS 2000 Version 9.21.HC2) that stores login sessions info for a website. The users session timeout gets updated everytime he access a page and once a day the stale sessions are removed so there is quite a lot of UPDATE/DELETE'ing on the table. The problem i have, is that i ofter get -244 errors when SELECT'ing from the table, which seems to be caused by a SEQUENCIAL SCAN and locked rows. If i run UPDATE STATISTICS HIGH FOR TABLE sessions, and check sqexplain.out, the SELECT uses INDEX PATH and all is fine for a while (...

Re: Stat Question--number continuous nominal categorical etc.
I'd say that age as commonly used is a discrete variable, not a continuous variable. Only integer values in a small range are allowed. -- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Department, First Health (Until January 28, 2005) West Sacramento, California USA Coelum, non animum mutant, qui trans mare currunt. >>> "Nick ." <ni14@MAIL.COM> 01/28/2005 7:53 AM >>> Hello everyone, Here is my easy stat question fro today. Let's take age from 1 to 100. Clearly this variable is a number/continuous variable. Now let's b...

Re: Stat Question--number continuous nominal categorical etc. #2
Right. That's why I said "age as commonly used", not "age". Clock age is, of course, very close to being a continuous real number. Age as commonly used is an integer, and sometimes has special and non-obvious rules. I say "very close to being a continuous real number" because there are those who think that time is quantized, the unit being 5.391 x 10**(-44) seconds. -- JackHamilton@FirstHealth.com Manager, Technical Development Metrics Department, First Health (Until January 28, 2005) West Sacramento, California USA Coelum, non animum mutant, qui tran...

'cannot stat' script in /etc/rc.d/, try to run script at startup
I'm trying to add a script to /etc/rc.d so it runs at system startup But when I try to copy the script to the directory, I get response 'cp: cannot stat 'script.sh' : no such file or directory' Can anyone suggest a solution? On ���, 21 ��� 2005 at 08:26 GMT, brightoceanlight@hotmail.com wrote: > I'm trying to add a script to /etc/rc.d so it runs at system startup > > But when I try to copy the script to the directory, I get response > 'cp: cannot stat 'script.sh' : no such file or directory' > > Can anyone suggest a solution? Are...

Stats n stats n stats
Since we have one of the most intense political races in recent history it's always interesting to see stats on how things shape up. Behind every good database are good stats. This underscores a bit what Gumby has been harping on, without the numbers you really don't have credibility when shaping opinion. Lies, damn lies and statistics... I love it. I do like stats, and well, this is somewhat related to what we do in our daily database world. One of the more interesting stats sites for politics is fivethirtyeight.com . This guy has a lot of chatter about polls right now...

PIL (etc etc etc) on OS X
Decided to try to install PIL on my Mac (OS X.5). I know nothing about installing programs on Linux, nothing about building C programs, nothing about installing libraries, nothing about "fink", nothing about anything. Please insert question marks after every sentence: I saw a "BUILDME" with instructions "for lazy programmers". I did that. It seems that everything worked except a jpg library is missing. I read that I need to install libjpeg. I read that on OS X this is "usually" done using fink. Great: (i) The idea of installing fink scares me, for no...

NAT etc etc
I realise this question gets asked time and time again and I apologise I watch this group with interest in the discussions about pfw's/routers etc etc BUT ;) my small network of a linux webserver,XP home (in the office) w98 (in the workshop)and a diagnostic computer running w98 (also in the workshop) are connecting to the internet via a Netcomm NB5Plus4W router /modem. Do I need to use pfw's on these other machines ? I do know that under the 'advanced' tab of my router configuration it says i can set up NAT there etc but I dont see any headings for this,it does mention NAT w...

/etc/protocols, /etc/services and /etc/networks ? who fills these files.
Hi Everyone, Who fills files in etc directory such as /etc/protocols, /etc/services and /etc/networks Can anybody please give me sample of /etc/networks I do not have /etc/networks in my linux system. Thanks, Datha Datha ha scritto: > Hi Everyone, > Who fills files in etc directory such as /etc/protocols, /etc/services > and /etc/networks > Can anybody please give me sample of /etc/networks > I do not have /etc/networks in my linux system. > Thanks, > Datha > man network, man services, man protocols On 3 Jan 2006 22:02:42 -0800, Datha <datha.krishnabhat@gmai...

Master Slave etc etc
i've three drives, a new HD a new CDRW and an ancient CD ROM... and two connectors on motherboard, which should i put with which? was advised put HD and old CD on one cable, new CDRW on the other, what do ye recommend?? steven.fox@nuigalway.ie (Steve) wrote in message news:<28ce72ef.0312050401.1de72f1f@posting.google.com>... > i've three drives, a new HD a new CDRW and an ancient CD ROM... > > and two connectors on motherboard, which should i put with which? was > advised put HD and old CD on one cable, new CDRW on the other, what do > ye recommend?? The IDE c...

Etc.dir, Etc.name
I found some of the Etc functions missing which are mentioned in Matsumoto's book "Ruby in a nutshell", for example Etc.dir and Etc.shell. OTOH, Etc.name exists (for example): irb(main):002:0> Etc.dir NoMethodError: undefined method `dir' for Etc:Module from (irb):2 irb(main):003:0> Etc.name => "Etc" irb(main):004:0> Etc.shell NoMethodError: undefined method `shell' for Etc:Module from (irb):4 from :0 I'm running the following Ruby version: $ irb --version irb 0.9.5(05/04/13) $ ruby --version ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i6...

Are /etc/localtime and /etc/timezone the same?
Hello, I read that /etc/timezone is sometimes used instead of /etc/localtime in some distributions. Is that true? Do that two files mean the same? Thanks in advance for answer. Regards, Robbo On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 22:50:26 +0100, Robbo sez: > I read that /etc/timezone is sometimes used instead of /etc/localtime in > some distributions. Is that true? > Do that two files mean the same? No, and no. A quick visit to the Google [tm] brand search engine reveals that /etc/localtime is a copy (or, although discouraged, can be a symlink) to one of the timezone files in /usr/share/zo...

SCO Dealer, etc,etc
Folks .. anybody got a dealer for SCO Unixware that I can buy from? Discounter preffered, grey marketer fine .. please email me back as I don't peruse the newsgroups that often CC to jpg@jdconsulting-usa.com would also be appreciated Thanks in advance to all you savvy techie gurus Jay ...

etc
Does someone of you know for what the abbreviation of the Linux Directory etc stands for? Thanks >> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:47:25 +0200, >> "Neolyth" <phoeltschi@gmx.ch> said: > Does someone of you know for what the abbreviation of > the Linux Directory etc stands for? Exactly what it says: "and the rest" On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:47:25 +0200, Neolyth wrote: > Does someone of you know for what the abbreviation of the Linux Directory > etc stands for? > > Thanks et cetera - meaning miscellaneous stuff that doesn't belong anywhere...

New to Python, WxPython etc, etc
I am totally new to Python and WxPython and need to write an application which can open up an external windows from a plug-in within GAIM (using pyGAIM). I have managed to hack some code together from what little I have covered so far, however GAIM refuses to open until I have closed the extra window. I appreciate this is probably a simple point but I would be grateful for any advice people can offer on how I can make them both appear so that people can interact with either GAIM and/or the contents of the window. I am using Python 2.3.5, and GAIM 2 (beta). I have attached the hacked code belo...

Etc.dir, Etc.name #2
I found some of the Etc functions missing which are mentioned in Matsumoto's book "Ruby in a nutshell", for example Etc.dir and Etc.shell. OTOH, Etc.name exists (for example): irb(main):002:0> Etc.dir NoMethodError: undefined method `dir' for Etc:Module from (irb):2 irb(main):003:0> Etc.name => "Etc" irb(main):004:0> Etc.shell NoMethodError: undefined method `shell' for Etc:Module from (irb):4 from :0 I'm running the following Ruby version: $ irb --version irb 0.9.5(05/04/13) $ ruby --version ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i6...

AND, Or, NAND etc. & Transistors etc....
I am looking for a style to make electronic circuits and logic gates. I know pst-circ, is there another one ? Otmar -- */Otmar Bender /* *EASA / JAR-66 Licence Training by Internet*! *Aviation Discussion Board <http://www.jartraining.de/phpBB2/>* on *www.jartraining.de <http://www.jartraining.de> * "Otmar Bender" <jarman@jar66.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:dffcao$s32$04$1@news.t-online.com... Hi Otmar, there is circ, which uses its own (meta)fonts, and a style based on LaTeX's picture environment, who's name I can't remember (it'...

/etc/passwd groups not in /etc/group
Hi, is there any easy awk command to find all groups in /etc/passwd which are not in /etc/group? For example: /etc/passwd ( group is $4 ) root:x:0:0:Super-User:/root:/sbin/sh daemon:x:1:1::/: bin:x:2:2::/usr/bin: sys:x:3:3::/: adm:x:4:4:Admin:/var/adm: lp:x:71:100:Line Printer Admin:/usr/spool/lp: uucp:x:5:101:uucp Admin:/usr/lib/uucp: /etc/group ( group is $3 ) root::0: other::1:root bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root mail::6:root tty::7:root,adm lp::8:root,adm Output should be: lp:x:71:100:Line Printer Admin:/usr/...

IIS, CGI, Juno etc. etc.
Hi, Hope someone can help me out with this - I've been wrestling with it for a couple of days now. Tried to run Ivo's Juno example on one of my PCs running IIS. First time I ran it I got the "do you want to run or download" message. Fiddled about with execute permissions etc. and got rid of that message. Then I got the "The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers." message. Checked all the /dlls etc. and recompiled under 2.7b etc. etc. I must have done something wrong at this point coz I've now g...

2005 Conferences/DEVCONs etc. etc.
Hi, I always seem to miss the CAVO related conferences etc. Does anyone have any details of when and where they're going to be next year? I'm determined to get to at least one! -- Rob Grattan R&D Software Pty. Ltd. Rob, I know this one: DevFest , March 10th � March 13th 2005 http://www.devrealm.com/DevFest.htm cu there! (?) Erik Visser "Rob" <robGETRIDOFTHIS@ANDTHISrndsoftware.com.au> schreef in bericht news:cnfafe$7dc$1@newsreader.mailgate.org... > Hi, > I always seem to miss the CAVO related conferences etc. Does anyo...

backing up Palm Desktop etc etc
My Palm is in the process of being exchanged right now. I'm also going to be moving, possibhly before I get the new(er) Palm. As far as backing up my Desktop (I've been using it exclusively since I sent the palm in, and it has a lot of new, un-Sync'ed data on it) and the rest of my Palm data, I'm going to copy the relevant files to a CD in case of problems when we move. Is my Palm/HetherL/backup file enough or is there a special file for the un-Sync'ed Desktop data?? I'm also using BackupBuddy. Palm Desktop 4.0.1 Palm m125 Windows 98 ....Lisa ...

symlinking etc/X11 and usr/X11R6/etc..
Hi, This is an elementary question. I've been trying to use FinkCommander to install some packages. However, the installation terminates and spits out an error at some point saying I need to symlink etc/X11 and usr/X11R6/etc. My question is, how do I symlink these two things? thanks in advance. Steven On 20 Feb 2004 08:23:19 -0800, Steven S wrote: > Hi, > This is an elementary question. > I've been trying to use FinkCommander to install some packages. > However, the installation terminates and spits out an error at some > point saying I need to symlink etc/X11 and...

Get Interface stats NOT VLAN stats on 6500
Hello, I am trying to get stats from each of the interfaces on the blades and running a quick SNMP I can get the VLAN stats but not the Interface stats. Could anyone give me an idea on the OID to check? Thanks in advance Giles Mr Jibbles wrote: > Hello, > I am trying to get stats from each of the interfaces on the blades and > running a quick SNMP I can get the VLAN stats but not the Interface > stats. > Could anyone give me an idea on the OID to check? > Thanks in advance > Giles ..iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry 32 bit counters only of cou...

SCO OSR5 /etc/utmpx and /etc/wtmpx
In SCO OSR5, fwtmp can dump the contents of /etc/utmp and /etc/wtmp to human readable formats, but what about /etc/utmpx and /etc/wtmpx? I've been looking for a way to get the data from these files, but fwtmp can parse them cleanly. Anyone know what to use? TIA, Edward Hooper Princess Cruises IT Department Shipboard Systems Group ----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Hooper" <ehooper@princesscruises.com> Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc To: <distro@jpr.com> Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 3:00 PM Subject: SCO OSR5 /etc/utmpx and /etc/wtmpx > In SCO OSR...

nonamed, /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf
This is more an observation and commentary: I don't run a local DNS server and didn't want to waste the memory on nonamed, so I specify /etc/resolv.conf to the DNS proxy on the ADSL router, and configure /etc/hosts with the IPs of my other local machines. However, I've just read the fine print in the "man host"s and subsequent "man named" that I can't use BOTH /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf together as I would on a typical *nix machine. Instead I have to break with convention and use nonamed and overload how /etc/hosts is used. I suppose there is a ...