this or even notice it? Do only the D&D based games have it?

0
littlemute (17)
2/9/2005 9:31:43 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg 10727 articles. 0 followers. jonahnynla (1774) is leader. Post Follow

On 2005-02-09, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:

> Picked up ToEE from EB for 10$. Installed it, hated the 3d/2d engine,
> loathed the pathfinding with more than 5 members, was quite sceptical
> of the interface, but had some fun with the combat engine which is
> fairly addicting, but was shocked that yet again a fantasy RPG has
> characters that say "OK."  I understand that the characters in these
> games must speak english and that it has to be reasonably vernacular to
> appeal to everyone the publishers/developers want to buy the game, but
> OK is a colloquialism in the Fantasy RPG context I cannot abide.  My
> frustrating few minutes with Neverwinter Nights was equally cursed with
> this totally out of place verbiage.  Anyone else have a problem with
> this or even notice it? Do only the D&D based games have it?

Most of us were upset ToEE never really worked :)

0
shadows
2/9/2005 9:47:39 PM
shadows <shadows@whitefang.com> skrev i meddelelsen

> Most of us were upset ToEE never really worked :)

You got that right!

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
> Picked up ToEE from EB for 10$. Installed it, hated the 3d/2d engine,
> loathed the pathfinding with more than 5 members, was quite sceptical
> of the interface, but had some fun with the combat engine which is
> fairly addicting, but was shocked that yet again a fantasy RPG has
> characters that say "OK."  I understand that the characters in these
> games must speak english and that it has to be reasonably vernacular to
> appeal to everyone the publishers/developers want to buy the game, but
> OK is a colloquialism in the Fantasy RPG context I cannot abide.  My
> frustrating few minutes with Neverwinter Nights was equally cursed with
> this totally out of place verbiage.  Anyone else have a problem with
> this or even notice it? Do only the D&D based games have it?

At least it's better than '...', which is pretty much a requirement in all
Japanese RPGs.

But seriously, I'd personally rather have bits of modern dialogue (so long
as it's not street slang) leak into fantasy games than have those people
that try to use Old English and get it horribly wrong.  Nothing quite as
jarring as seeing things like "I didst not meaneth to offendeth thou" in a
game, which is not only hard to read for people that don't know Old English,
but for people who do, it's obviously very wrong.  The people that think
just putting "eth" at the end of every verb and indiscriminately changing
"you" to "thee" or "thou" (there is a difference, people), it's just really
irritating.  Either learn how to write period dialogue properly, or write
modern dialogue.  Don't try to fake it, it just makes you look like an
idiot.

0
Darrel
2/9/2005 10:40:03 PM
"Darrel Hoffman" <i.dont@think.so> writes:

> At least it's better than '...', which is pretty much a requirement in all
> Japanese RPGs.

That's one of the hardest sounds to pick up when learning Japanese...

--
Darin Johnson
    "Floyd here now!"
"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
>                          but was shocked that yet again a fantasy RPG has
> characters that say "OK."  I understand that the characters in these
> games must speak english and that it has to be reasonably vernacular to
> appeal to everyone the publishers/developers want to buy the game, but
> OK is a colloquialism in the Fantasy RPG context I cannot abide.

Because... if these games were all written using what was the english
language a thousand years ago nobody would understand the dialogue.

Yes, there would be a few words here or there that you might recognize but
with an extra letter or two... or that with abit of thought you can figure
out what they are trying to say... but a game where the dialogue baffles the
players and they have to repeat every conversation 50 to 100 times to try
and decipher what is being said isn't going to sell very well at all.

I think you are thinking that they should be talking like "Forsooth you
foolhardy varlet, what art thou doingst with mine wife?"  but that would be
just as out of place as "OK" and it would look really ridiculous after
awhile.

0
Augustus
2/10/2005 6:44:28 AM
In article
littlemute wrote:

> Picked up ToEE from EB for 10$. Installed it, hated the 3d/2d engine,
> loathed the pathfinding with more than 5 members, was quite sceptical
> of the interface, but had some fun with the combat engine which is
> fairly addicting, but was shocked that yet again a fantasy RPG has
> characters that say "OK."  I understand that the characters in these
> games must speak english and that it has to be reasonably vernacular to
> appeal to everyone the publishers/developers want to buy the game, but
> OK is a colloquialism in the Fantasy RPG context I cannot abide.

"OK" is actually not an English word; it's *also* English and
perhaps *originally* English.

--
Neil Cerutti
0
"shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-02-09, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
>>
>> Picked up ToEE from EB for 10$. Installed it, hated the 3d/2d engine,
>> loathed the pathfinding with more than 5 members, was quite sceptical
>> of the interface, but had some fun with the combat engine which is
>> fairly addicting, but was shocked that yet again a fantasy RPG has
>> characters that say "OK."  I understand that the characters in these
>> games must speak english and that it has to be reasonably vernacular to
>> appeal to everyone the publishers/developers want to buy the game, but
>> OK is a colloquialism in the Fantasy RPG context I cannot abide.  My
>> frustrating few minutes with Neverwinter Nights was equally cursed with
>> this totally out of place verbiage.  Anyone else have a problem with
>> this or even notice it? Do only the D&D based games have it?
>>

> Most of us were upset ToEE never really worked :)

I tried getting my friends into it for multi player RPG'ing... worked for
about an hour when we all realised that level 10 really was the limit and no
you couldnt go beyond that. Bye bye game.

Ceo-

0
Ceowulf
2/10/2005 2:20:01 PM
"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message

> Picked up ToEE from EB for 10$. Installed it, hated the 3d/2d engine,
> loathed the pathfinding with more than 5 members, was quite sceptical
> of the interface, but had some fun with the combat engine which is
> fairly addicting, but was shocked that yet again a fantasy RPG has
> characters that say "OK."  I understand that the characters in these
> games must speak english and that it has to be reasonably vernacular to
> appeal to everyone the publishers/developers want to buy the game, but
> OK is a colloquialism in the Fantasy RPG context I cannot abide.  My
> frustrating few minutes with Neverwinter Nights was equally cursed with
> this totally out of place verbiage.  Anyone else have a problem with
> this or even notice it? Do only the D&D based games have it?

Doesn't bother me at all, it's an innate part of the English language.
After all, it's not like the Blacksmith sees you walk in with your +5 Vorpal
sword and says "L33t"

Andy

0
Andy
2/10/2005 2:38:19 PM
I'm not at all talking about using old english. I had to read it in
school and it sucks, big time and the ren-faire nerd version that's
around these days is even less desirable.  There is a set of words and
phrases within the current vernacular that are generic enough, or
twinged with old-school meaning that doesn't bust the bubble of
suspension of disbelief like OK does.   Look at King of Dragon Pass for
instance: there are massive amounts of text in there, and none of it is
difficult to understand nor does it break the reader out of the
illusion that the people are speaking a less modern language.  Tons of
fantasy books are written each year, most of course by hacks, but I bet
they all wrestle with this very issue and their editors pull their hair
out about it when a fantasy version of Pel Torro has a fat dwarf asking
if his compatriots are "down with drinking tonight."

0
littlemute
2/10/2005 6:24:47 PM
"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> writes:

> There is a set of words and
> phrases within the current vernacular that are generic enough, or
> twinged with old-school meaning that doesn't bust the bubble of
> suspension of disbelief like OK does.

"OK" is 150 years old.  There are probably quite a lot of newer words
showing up in  games that are just as out of place but that seem
pretty normal.  "Phony" for instance.

--
Darin Johnson
    "Particle Man, Particle Man, doing the things a particle can"
> "OK" is actually not an English word; it's *also* English and
> perhaps *originally* English.

The story I heard about the origin of "OK" is that it was an abbreviation
for an intentional misspelling of "All Correct".  This article seems to
agree with that theory to an extent, and offers a couple others as well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ok

It does seem to be an American invention whichever story you believe, and
doesn't seem to exist at any time prior to the 19th century, so fantasy
stories/games which are set in pseudo-medieveal times and are generally
British in tone should certainly not be using it.  (Though there are a few
possibly apocryphal stories, also listed on that site, which do date it back
that far, I don't think they are very credible.)

But ultimately, you have to step back and ask yourself how much it really
matters.  As I said, I'd rather a few modern terms get slipped in than have
them do a horrible job faking period speech.

0
Darrel
2/11/2005 4:04:08 AM
Ceowulf wrote:

> "shadows" <shadows@whitefang.com> wrote in message
> > On 2005-02-09, littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:
> > >
> >> Picked up ToEE from EB for 10$. Installed it, hated the 3d/2d engine,
> >> loathed the pathfinding with more than 5 members, was quite sceptical
> >> of the interface, but had some fun with the combat engine which is
> >> fairly addicting, but was shocked that yet again a fantasy RPG has
> >> characters that say "OK."  I understand that the characters in these
> >> games must speak english and that it has to be reasonably vernacular to
> >> appeal to everyone the publishers/developers want to buy the game, but
> >> OK is a colloquialism in the Fantasy RPG context I cannot abide.  My
> >> frustrating few minutes with Neverwinter Nights was equally cursed with
> >> this totally out of place verbiage.  Anyone else have a problem with
> >> this or even notice it? Do only the D&D based games have it?
> > >

> > Most of us were upset ToEE never really worked :)
>
> I tried getting my friends into it for multi player RPG'ing... worked for
> about an hour when we all realised that level 10 really was the limit and no
> you couldnt go beyond that. Bye bye game.
>
> Ceo-

Yupe I really hate level capped game - it only shows the devs inability to
balance the game properly, instead of balancing the game, they simply take the
short cut, i.e. level cap.

The reason I bought Baldur's Gate but never even installed the game... Let the
6 (or 5?) CD Behemoth rot and died in my closet.

Regards.
0
ChoyKw
2/14/2005 2:52:42 AM
Darin Johnson wrote:

> "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> writes:
>
> > There is a set of words and
> > phrases within the current vernacular that are generic enough, or
> > twinged with old-school meaning that doesn't bust the bubble of
> > suspension of disbelief like OK does.
>
> "OK" is 150 years old.  There are probably quite a lot of newer words
> showing up in  games that are just as out of place but that seem
> pretty normal.  "Phony" for instance.

How 'bout asking your ranger to scout around and he found a treasure chest and
he said "Cool!"

Ask your Berserker to charge on an enemy and he yells "Kawabanga!!"

A goblin tried to bash youe sorceress and she dodged the attack, and countered
with a magic missile and said "F@#$ off, you jerk!"

Your thief spotted a trap in the passage way and said "Check it out man! It's a
tripple pressure plate, poison spittin' double explosion booby trap! Groovie!!"
And your paladin answered "Yeah, baby, yeah!".....

Your heavily drunk dwarf fighter woke up in the morning, saying "Ooooh man! I
need more booze and the sh!t..."

Now these are really annoying. "Ok" is okay, I think.

Regards.
0
ChoyKw
2/14/2005 3:05:40 AM
The only people that I've seen pull this type of stuff off is Blizzard
in WC3 (and I assume WoW),  it's all tongue in cheek (while being an
awesome serious game at the same time).  With Warcraft in mind, I think
it's just not excusable to use OK in games.  Why not just "alright" or
"as you command," etc.?   There is another annoying character in ToEE
that says "Yes Sir" to everything all the time like some military
cadet.  It's not so much that it's said all the time, but the WAY it's
said is so modern it's a bit rediculous.

0
littlemute
2/17/2005 3:03:47 PM
In article <1108651498.440436.33730@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
littlemute <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote:

>Why not just "alright" or "as you command," etc.?

"By your command, Imperious Leader."

--
Kyle Haight
0

90's Game -- Spielberg's "Director's Chair"
This seems like a long shot (get it...long shot?) but is anybody reading this group familiar with a game called Steven Spielberg's Director's Chair from the mid-nineties? Actually, it's more of a movie- studio familiarizer than a game, per se, but it does have its strong points in terms of recreating a certain, Hollywood-y atmosphere. I'm curious because, when I run this program on a Windows 2000 box, I keep hitting an "Internal Error" during my first dip in The Lab. I can hear the first line of dialogue repeat about three times, then it shuts me down. Becau...

There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"
From TOW[1]: The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux is the most popular non...

Needed "data processing magazine" also any of same topic are from 50's 60's 70's such as "Datamation", ACM conference proceedings, Early AFIPS, and others.
Needed "data processing magazine" also any of same topic are from 50's 60's 70's such as "Datamation", ACM conference proceedings, Early AFIPS, and others. Also have a requirement for any of the IRE - IEEE publications on early computing. Please advise All eras are fine prefer bound but... loose OK too. address is below. Thanks Ed Sharpe, Archivist for SMECC - - See the Museum's Web Site at www.smecc.org Southwest Museum of Engineering, Communications and Computation Coury House / SMECC Library 5802 W. Palmaire Ave. ...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

'Here's the thing about Apple's "recent"�success.'
'It isn't recent. The only thing that has changed are some numbers. Some big numbers: largest company in the world, second most profitable company in the world, most profitable retail stores in the world, best-selling smart phone, second best-selling smart phone, best-selling tablet computer, etc. Other numbers have not changed: customer satisfaction, customer loyalty, consumer ratings, etc.' <http://granthuhn.wordpress.com/2011/09/23/heres-the-thing-about-apples-r ecent-success/> -- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I c...

Finder's "copy" and shell's "cp" hang
Weird problem... I have a drive -- which I suspect has physical problems and is therefore the root of the problem -- contain quite a number of my photography. Perhaps a half-year's worth of work. While trying to consolidate and organize all of my photos, I ran into a problem whereby Finder hangs when trying to move certain files. The rotten part is that I can't stop the copy (by hitting the x in the copy progress window). I can't even kill off the process (via term's "killall Finder" or "kill -9 [pid]." Finder just hangs. The only solution that I'...

TL2011's pdflatex: "Segmentation fault" (TL2009's is OK)
i have the following (minimal example) file source-1.tex %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% \documentclass{beamer} \begin{document} \frame{asdef} \frame{asdef} \begin{frame} \includegraphics[clip=0 0 2cm 0,width=\textwidth]{Resonance} \end{frame} \begin{frame} \includegraphics[width=0.90\textwidth]{car} \end{frame} \end{document} %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% if you're interested to try it out, the included pdf files are accessible via http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57755729/car.pdf http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57755729/Resonan...

What do the authors in The Little Schemer mean by the "function's structure" and "argument's structure"?
Hi all, I finished reading The Little Schemer a few days ago and one of the answers was not clear to me. It's on page 40, 3rd from the top. It's about simplifying the rember function (which removes the first occurrence of an element from a list). The question asks "So why don't we simplify right away?" and the answer is "Because then a function's structure does not coincide with its argument's structure." Any ideas what "a function's structure" and "argument's structure" are? And how do they coincide or not coincide? Here...

Looking for Custom Function Similar to Howard's "Title" and David's "SmarterProper"
Hi, gang - I'm looking for a custom function that would capitalize names and addresses similar to Howard Schlossberg "Title" and David Tremmel's "SmarterProper," both of which are listed on Brian Dunning's cf site. The difference is that instead of having a parameter that specifies a "prefix" list indicating where a capital letter should always be inserted in a word (such as after the prefixes "Mc" or "Mac"), I'd like a parameter that specifies exception words that should always be capitalized as provided in an exceptions list....

Is there a "check_???" ruleset hook that's called after the DATA has arrived (before sendmail OK's it) ?
I want to process the entire received mail and possibly reject it at the point where the DATA has all come in; is there a check_something hook for this? What's it called? Where's the doc? If not - how hard would this be for me to to add this in myself - does anyone know?? There's loads of uses for this - including rejecting viruses, spam, porn, empty/trivial mail, etc such that the sending MTA knows it was rejected without the receivnig MTA having to originate anything. Help!?! ! wrote: > I want to process the entire received mail and possibly reject it at the > point...

But it's "open" so it's good...
....right? "Motorola's dangled an Android 2.1 upgrade in front of CLIQ XT users for what seems like forever -- now it's putting away the bait indefinitely. In a statement released this morning, the company said that despite months of rigorous testing, the phone will remain on Android 1.5. We first heard promises of an update in June last year, but Motorola quickly reneged. In November, its predecessor got an upgrade, but the CLIQ XT was left hanging. Then in December, the company announced a delay, citing "additional testing," and when those tests failed...

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

Cruft collecting in my "Open With" menu's, make's 'em slow
I'm running Mac OS X 10.4.3 on a G4 w/dual 867Mhz processors and 1gbyte (ie. billion bytes) of main ram... When I control-click on an icon, it gives a pop-up menu that includes an "Open With" sub-menu list. Unfortunately, this choices in the "Open With" sub-menu are populated when I just slide my mouse over the "Open With" option. I would prefer it if the choices weren't displayed until I choose that option by stopping on it, or sliding off to the right. Because I have lots of applications and lots of upgrades to applications, the "Open Wit...

What is the equivalent of Python's "%s" % "MyString"?
Hello! I am studying Ruby and have been using Python. I apologize for my negligence not to check out the whole document first. What is the equivalent of the following Python's expressions? s = "My name is %s and my age is %d." % ("Sam", 34) or s = "My name is %(name)s and my age is %(age)d." % {"name": "Sam", "age": 34} or format = "My name is %(name)s and my age is %(age)d." di = {"name": "Sam", "age": 34} s = format % di I know that ruby has "#{name}" expression. But that...

Web resources about - What's with the "OK's?" - comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg