Wizardry V: What the hell is going on?

Ok apparently I am the only person who ever had this trouble with this
game. Googling turns up nothing.

I can't figure out how to pass through doors. Yes that is right. I
can't figure out how to walk through a freaking door in this game. I
am on the very first level of the maze. Every door I come to, when I
try to pass through, I get the Ouch! message as if it is a solid wall.
I tried the (p)ick command but all I get is a What? message when I hit
the letter P. I have tried several doors already.

I tried another version of the game that I downloaded off of some
abandonware site. Same thing. I went back to Wizardry 1 which I played
earlier in 2015 just to make sure doors worked like I expect them too,
and yes, I can pass through doors in Wizardry 1 just fine.

So there you have it. I can't figure out how to walk through a door. I
wish I was making this up. I am running the PC Wizardry Archives
version of the game.

Any help, whether it ends up being right or wrong, would be greatly
appreciated. The game is unplayable as is and I'd rather not skip over
it.
0
Mike
1/1/2016 9:05:44 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg 10727 articles. 0 followers. jonahnynla (1774) is leader. Post Follow

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 16:05:44 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Ok apparently I am the only person who ever had this trouble with this
>game. Googling turns up nothing.

K. You have to hit K. As in (K)ick in the door. I am not making that
up.
0
Mike
1/2/2016 12:38:08 AM
Mike S.  <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
>K. You have to hit K. As in (K)ick in the door. I am not making that
>up.

Yah, I've never played Wizardry V, but I was going to suggest that.
I think Bard's Tale games also had that, maybe the later Wizardry games
as well.

					Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo]  rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
On 1/2/2016 5:28 PM, Ross Ridge wrote:
> Mike S.  <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> K. You have to hit K. As in (K)ick in the door. I am not making that
>> up.
>
> Yah, I've never played Wizardry V, but I was going to suggest that.
> I think Bard's Tale games also had that, maybe the later Wizardry games
> as well.

I'm playing Wizardry VI and its (O)pen there.

--
Now the Force-Ghost of DTravel since he was forced by shame to commit
hara-kiri with a dull light-spork after liking the Abrams/Bad Robot Star
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 1/2/2016 5:28 PM, Ross Ridge wrote:
>> Mike S.  <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>> K. You have to hit K. As in (K)ick in the door. I am not making that
>>> up.
>>
>> Yah, I've never played Wizardry V, but I was going to suggest that.
>> I think Bard's Tale games also had that, maybe the later Wizardry games
>> as well.
>>
>I'm playing Wizardry VI and its (O)pen there.

Thank you for both replies. I will be playing Wiz 6 sooner or later so
I will keep that in mind.

It is actually kind of annoying to move my hand from the arrow keys to
the K key just to pass through a door. (My other hand is on my mouse
in a mapping program I use when playing these old games.) I wish they
didn't make this change.

In all fairness though, the new (k)ick command is in the manual. I did
start reading it before playing the game but it was repeating, almost
word for word, the information I read in the Wiz 1 manual earlier in
2015. So I said screw it and just started playing the game. My mistake
obviously.

RTFM!
0
Mike
1/3/2016 3:46:03 PM
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 19:38:08 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 16:05:44 -0500, Mike S. <Mike_S@nowhere.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Ok apparently I am the only person who ever had this trouble with this
>>game. Googling turns up nothing.
>
>K. You have to hit K. As in (K)ick in the door. I am not making that
>up.

That must be one bohunk of a beefy wizard there, going around kicking
doors in as a navigation mechanism.  You'd think with a book of spells
and magic skills and all, he would come up with something a little
more ingenious or clever than just going all Hulk-On-Crack through the
walls.  Maybe he's the bastard child of a male warrior and female elf
and takes after his dad?  Or maybe I just gave away the plot... sorry.
0
Rin
1/3/2016 9:37:44 PM
Mike S.  <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
>It is actually kind of annoying to move my hand from the arrow keys to
>the K key just to pass through a door. (My other hand is on my mouse
>in a mapping program I use when playing these old games.) I wish they
>didn't make this change.

I don't know if it would work in this game but I remember getting in
the habit of just using K to move forward, as it worked for that too.
I'm remember thinking my party must be goose stepping through the dungeon.

					Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo]  rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
-()-/()/  http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~rridge/
 db  //
0
Ross
1/4/2016 11:56:37 AM
On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 06:56:37 -0500, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Ross
Ridge wrote:

>Mike S.  <Mike_S@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>It is actually kind of annoying to move my hand from the arrow keys to
>>the K key just to pass through a door. (My other hand is on my mouse
>>in a mapping program I use when playing these old games.) I wish they
>>didn't make this change.
>
>I don't know if it would work in this game but I remember getting in
>the habit of just using K to move forward, as it worked for that too.
>I'm remember thinking my party must be goose stepping through the dungeon.
>
>					Ross Ridge

Godwin. Thread over. ;^P

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten
0
Zaghadka
1/4/2016 11:36:38 PM
On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:36:38 -0600, Zaghadka <zaghadka@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>>I don't know if it would work in this game but I remember getting in
>>the habit of just using K to move forward, as it worked for that too.
>>I'm remember thinking my party must be goose stepping through the dungeon.
>>
>>					Ross Ridge
>
>Godwin. Thread over. ;^P

Actually, hitting K to move forward, at least in darkness squares, is
a good idea as I won't know if what is in front of me is a door or a
wall if I don't!
0
Mike

FA: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) / 8 IBM PC Game Games
> Item name: SIX Western Digital 6.4gb Hard Drives > Price: $46.00 > Buy It Now: $46.00 > Bids: -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3482211928 > Item name: 8 IBM PC Game Games - (Pirates , Paperboy) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107002333 > Item name: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: ...

PC Gaming Almost Dead -AGAIN- So................ PC Industry Consortium to announce 'PC Gaming Alliance' to save PC gaming
Takahashi: Gaming Alliance stumps for PC By Dean Takahashi Mercury News 02/12/2008 The personal computer game industry has trailed behind its console brethren in recent years as easy-to-play games on the Nintendo Wii or online games on the Xbox 360 have stolen the excitement. Companies with a vested interest in keeping the PC alive as a gaming platform will soon announce a consortium dubbed the PC Gaming Alliance. According to two people familiar with the effort, it will include top industry players such as Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices as well as a number of computer ...

Are any of the newer Axis & Allies board games going to be PC games?
Anybody know? "Gel Pen" <grouphoto@homer.com> wrote in message news:Hwo%d.38184$rB3.6776330@twister.nyc.rr.com... > Anybody know? I don't know of any but there is a game called Gary Grigsby's World at War that will be in stores the end of this month that is similiar to Axis and Allies games. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 00:26:15 GMT, "Gel Pen" <grouphoto@homer.com> wrote: >Anybody know? Given how horrible the AI was every time they tried it, do we really want them to?:) -- "The most merciful thing in the world, ...

PC Games RPG
Hi, For articles visit: http://www.telepk.com/articles/ For Beauty and Health Tips: http://www.telepk.com/beauty_and_health/ For Home Decoration: http://www.telepk.com/homedecoration/ For Technology News: http:/www.telepk.com/technews/ For Cricket News: http://www.telepk.com/sports/cricket/ For Online Flash Games: http://www.telepk.com/games/ For Software Downloads: http://www.telepk.com/downloads/ For ASP Tutorial: http://www.codedcode.com/asp/ For Myspace Layouts: http://www.myspacepk.com/ For News Blog: http://www.newsblogpk.com/ For MSN Block Checker: http://www.hotma...

FPS go to hell, go to hell and you die!
Old school motherfucker here. My guys made clothing for the motherfucking magic candle! I played Shadowrun at Gencon, and now it's a motherfuckin' FPS! I wanna kick all you young shits in the nuts!!! I say we gather some good ol' Fallout boys and we go 'round the RPG makers and take out their gall bladders and sell 'em to the Chinese! I'm sorry I'm so angry. The body mechanics of Oblivion are really fucking spectacular. As good as _The 300_ or _Last of the Mohicans_ in game terms. But it's still a goddamn FPS and I want a party of isometric fucknuts to ...

IBM PC games
Into IBM PC and Compatible games? Indiana Jones? Day of the Tentacle? Monkey Island? Dune 2? Then head on over to RandomClown where we sell a wide range of rare IBM games, with worldwide postage and careful packaging for collectors. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/randomclown Thanks, Matt ...

FA: LOOM - IBM PC Game - adventure game by LucasArts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30295&item=5128961688 ...

FA: LOOM - IBM PC Game - adventure game by LucasArts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30295&item=5128961688 ...

FA: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war)
> Item name: SIX Western Digital 6.4gb Hard Drives > Price: $46.00 > Buy It Now: $46.00 > Bids: -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3482211928 > Item name: 8 IBM PC Game Games - (Pirates , Paperboy) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107002333 > Item name: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: ...

pc games complains about the state of PC gaming, however...
It seems to me the consoles are the ones really in trouble. The XBox is no competiton, because it can barely keep up with current gen titles and next gen DX10 titles will put the final nails in the coffin, not to mention all the good XBox 360 titles are available with better graphics on the PC and with better control. The Wii has a market with kids/grannys and such (and deserves it, I suppose with the gimmicky controller that most folks already seem to be losing interest in, so they will need some stellar titles to maintain momentum).. The PS3 has failed, plain and simple. Defeat conceded...

FA: 36 IBM PC Games
*** ONLY 48 HOURS LEFT ON SOME IBM GAMES *** Have 36 IBM PC Compatible Games up for Auction and another 20 or so will be added in the next two days. Have lots of RPG, Adventure, and Classic Games. All Games have NO Reserve, Low Starting Bids, and Clear Pictures. Lots more Game related items will be Auctioned off during the next few Months, so keep us bookmarked for future reference. Thanks for looking and good luck in your bidding. <NOTE: Please remove the "NOJUNKMAIL" from the Reply-To address> To check them ALL out, please click on the URL Link below...

V-Chip for PC gaming
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/23/tech/gamecore/main690347.shtml It would get my vote if it could be adapted to Usenet and saynotoreality's mum put it on his PC. -- Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards, please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text. Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question. On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:00:36 GMT, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote: > http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/04/23/tech/gamecore/main690347.shtml > > It would get my vote if...

Good PC Game Developer and/or PC Game Programmer Newsletters?
I have been searching for a few good PC Game Developer and PC Game Programmer newsletters for some time now. I started by looking at what yahoo groups had to offer, but it was really difficult for me to really tell which ones were active. I tried out one programming newsletter few for a couple months (sorry I can't remember which one it was now), but I unsubscribed from it due to the fact that 95% of the time was spent arguing about differences between languages. So I was wondering if anyone knows of a few good mailing lists that they might like to share? Josh, May be www....

ANNOUNCE: Games::Go::AGATourn and Games::Go::GoPair modules released
Hello All, I have uploaded perl modules Games::Go::AGATourn and Games::Go::GoPair to CPAN. If you follow the 'search by category' link, you'll find it in chapter 23 Miscellaneous_Modules under Games. Or use one of the search functions. AGATourn provides methods for parsing American Go Association (AGA) format data files: tdlista and tdlistn, register.tde, 1.tde, 2.tde,etc. GoPair 'use's AGATourn (and a few other modules) to provide support for running a go tournament: there's a perl/Tk script for searching tdlist and entering players into register.tde as you'...

Web resources about - Wizardry V: What the hell is going on? - comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg

Wizardry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the series of role-playing video games by Sir-Tech. For the 1985 video game by The Edge, see Wizardry (The Edge) . For ...

Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls on the App Store on iTunes
Get Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Flew down to Universal Studios Orlando for a long weekend. Visited both parks and all the houses at Halloween Horror Nights.

Matt Chat 89: Bard's Tale and Wizardry with Brian Fargo - YouTube
... part of my interview with the founder of Interplay, Brian and I discuss his early days, the story of Bard's Tale, life at Interplay, Wizardry, ...

Broomstick riding quidditch enthusiasts compete for glory with Harry Potter wizardry
Broomstick-riding sport quidditch gives less sporty types a go at team sports and not only Harry Potter fans fly in to battle.

Pole-dancing robots and hands-free wizardry wow at CeBIT tech fair
The gadgetry ranges from time-saving to life-saving to pure entertainment at the world's biggest tech fair.

Preview: Magicka 2 might be more wizardry than I can handle
Managing friends, enemies, and spells is about as difficult as learning real magic.

Technical SEO Wizardry
So how ’bout that lunch, huh? Tacos, fajitas, and churros! Whew! If not for the steady stream of coffee I’ve got going on here—and the risk of ...

SMX Advanced 2014 Series: ‘Mad Scientist’ Seth Meisel Reveals Secrets to Paid Search Wizardry
SMX Advanced 2014 Series: ‘Mad Scientist’ Seth Meisel Reveals Secrets to Paid Search Wizardry was originally published on BruceClay.com, home ...

The Accounting Wizardry Behind Banks’ Strong Earnings
How banks such as JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo tap loan-loss reserves to bump up earnings