floppy drive installation problems

Hi,
I'm trying to install a floppy drive on a dell gx270 computer, but I
can't seem to get it to work. In the bios I set diskette drive a to
3,5 inch, 1.44 MB. I wanted to change the boot sequence to start with
the floppy drive, but it doesn't even show up in the list. The
computer doesn't see it at all.
All the cables are applied in the right way, I also tried different
cables, computers... I always thougth that when you plug in a floppy
drive/ cd rom etc, it would automatically show up. So did I miss a
step? Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks, Nienke
0
nmaseland
2/27/2004 3:22:39 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc 1651 articles. 1 followers. Post Follow

Nienke <nmaseland@erfgoedhuis.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to install a floppy drive on a dell gx270 computer, but I
> can't seem to get it to work. In the bios I set diskette drive a to
> 3,5 inch, 1.44 MB. I wanted to change the boot sequence to start with
> the floppy drive, but it doesn't even show up in the list. The
> computer doesn't see it at all.
> All the cables are applied in the right way, I also tried different
> cables, computers... I always thougth that when you plug in a floppy
> drive/ cd rom etc, it would automatically show up. So did I miss a
> step? Any idea what's wrong?
Is the Drive Select jumper set correctly? It must be set to 1 and you
must plug the drive after the twist on the ribbon cable. The first
connector (middle between controller and end connector) is for the B:
drive if any. If there is no DS jumper or switch bank, then it's fixed
correctly to 1 in factory.
If the drive light is always ON, then that means the cable is upside down.

If this doesn't work, try the drive on a system with no hard drive, insert
a disk and close the door. Then turn on, and see if anything happens at
boot time. Then describe what happens; if the drive tries to read the disk,
or if it doesn't even try.

Louis-Luc

> Thanks, Nienke
0
leguerri
2/27/2004 4:16:30 PM
"Nienke" <nmaseland@erfgoedhuis.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm trying to install a floppy drive on a dell gx270 computer, but I
> can't seem to get it to work. In the bios I set diskette drive a to
> 3,5 inch, 1.44 MB. I wanted to change the boot sequence to start with
> the floppy drive, but it doesn't even show up in the list. The
> computer doesn't see it at all.
> All the cables are applied in the right way, I also tried different
> cables, computers... I always thougth that when you plug in a floppy
> drive/ cd rom etc, it would automatically show up. So did I miss a
> step? Any idea what's wrong?
>
> Thanks, Nienke

    Check floppy interface is enabled, is usually in 'onboard interfaces' or
similar. Have you got the correct end of the cable plugged into motherboard
socket? Floppy goes in END connector if there is a choice.

     Mike.

---

Michael
2/27/2004 8:39:20 PM
Thanks everyone,
it was indeed the floppy interface which wasn't enabled. I'm glad it wordks now.
Nienke
0
nmaseland