4.1 soundcard - comptaible with 5.1, 2.1, 2.0 speakers?

i have a few years old creative labs sb soundcard with a dying 4.1
speakers set. what kind of replacement speakers set should i buy? will
a 5.1 speakers set be compatible with it (but with one of the speakers
being silent), or do i need to go "down-compatible" instead with a 2.0
speakers set.

reason i ask is there appears to be no 4.1 speakers sets on the market
these days.

thanks!

0
niz
7/8/2005 11:57:56 PM
comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc 423 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

It would help if you gave the model number of this Creative Labs SB.
Some of the newer 5.1 speakers come with a switch for 4.1, 5.1, 6.1.
Like my Labtecs X-620 6.1 (and 5.1 or 4.1 setting).
Got them as refurbished off w.Ebay.com from Justdeals.com
$33 (including shipping), speakers were in "like new" condition.

For a cheap 5.1 sound card replacement, my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
was used off Ebay.ocm for $20.50, Does 5.1 speaker
and has quality hardware (card was $100 when they first came out)

Or the Chaintech AV-710 usualying $25
The card uses a VIA Envy HT-S chip
Should have good driver update support.

"niz" <niz@infidel.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>i have a few years old creative labs sb soundcard with a dying 4.1
> speakers set. what kind of replacement speakers set should i buy? will
> a 5.1 speakers set be compatible with it (but with one of the speakers
> being silent), or do i need to go "down-compatible" instead with a 2.0
> speakers set.
>
> reason i ask is there appears to be no 4.1 speakers sets on the market
> these days.
>
> thanks!

0
Tod