Another crazy 8570

Hi !
Do you remember my 8570 that wouldn't read floppies ? Probably it has a
controller damage ...
Today I've got another 8570.
I cleaned it and booted ... usual 162 163.
Changed the battery ... no refdisk load ... but if I put a refstamped
720k DOS disk, it boots.
So, I prepared a 720K refdisk (removing all the dgs files, no testing by
now ...) and did an automatic configuration ...

"The description for the adapter in slot 4 is missing ..."
Well, slot 4 ?
I see three slot, the fourth should be the integrated disk controller ...
Fired up IDMCA ... slot 4 is
DFDF	ZOT-N200A MCA ARCNET INTERFACE

ZOT ? Alien invasion ? You must be crazy ?!?!

Mmmmh ... DFDF resemble DF9F (Integrated disk controller)

Shut down ... removed battery ... reconfigured ... nothing ... always
DFDF and ZOT ZOT ZOT ZOT ...
Obviously, no HD is seen ...

BTW, I noticed that the processor (I didn't remove the drive bay, so I
looked from the top) has the classic IBM shiny metallic cover, marked IBM
and Intel ... the other 8570 I have hasn't that style ...

Any suggestion ?
Two 8570 with the same (almost) problem ...
0
supervinx

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:14:16 +0800, supervinx <supervinx@libero.it>
wrote:

>Hi !
>Do you remember my 8570 that wouldn't read floppies ? Probably it has a
>controller damage ...
>Today I've got another 8570.
>I cleaned it and booted ... usual 162 163.
>Changed the battery ... no refdisk load ... but if I put a refstamped
>720k DOS disk, it boots.
>So, I prepared a 720K refdisk (removing all the dgs files, no testing by
>now ...) and did an automatic configuration ...
>
>"The description for the adapter in slot 4 is missing ..."
>Well, slot 4 ?
>I see three slot, the fourth should be the integrated disk controller ...
>Fired up IDMCA ... slot 4 is
>DFDF	ZOT-N200A MCA ARCNET INTERFACE
>
>ZOT ? Alien invasion ? You must be crazy ?!?!
>
>Mmmmh ... DFDF resemble DF9F (Integrated disk controller)
>
>Shut down ... removed battery ... reconfigured ... nothing ... always
>DFDF and ZOT ZOT ZOT ZOT ...
>Obviously, no HD is seen ...
>
>BTW, I noticed that the processor (I didn't remove the drive bay, so I
>looked from the top) has the classic IBM shiny metallic cover, marked IBM
>and Intel ... the other 8570 I have hasn't that style ...
>
>Any suggestion ?
>Two 8570 with the same (almost) problem ...

Does it have a stock riser card?
0
gfretwell
11/25/2009 5:52:45 AM
I removed the new battery overnight ...
When I restarted it, BIOS complained with a long and deep BEEP, then
started the memory test veeeeery slow !
I did the automatic configuration, restarted, got 163, set date and time,
restarted, 165 again, automatic configuration ... booted.
Now it seems to work.

The old battery measured 3.4V instead of 6V and, the first time I booted
it, BIOS claimed a serious CMOS trouble.

The controller is the integrated one, no add-on card.

Only processor and chipset are shiny IBM style ... I'll post some
photo ...
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 7:38:47 AM
I removed the new battery overnight ...
When I restarted it, BIOS complained with a long and deep BEEP, then
started the memory test veeeeery slow !
I did the automatic configuration, restarted, got 163, set date and time,
restarted, 165 again, automatic configuration ... booted.
Now it seems to work.

The old battery measured 3.4V instead of 6V and, the first time I booted
it, BIOS claimed a serious CMOS trouble.

The controller is the integrated one, no add-on card.

Only processor and chipset are shiny IBM style ... I'll post some
photo ...
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 7:38:47 AM
Hi Vincenzo !

> Do you remember my 8570 that wouldn't read floppies ? Probably it has a
> controller damage ...
> Today I've got another 8570.
> I cleaned it and booted ... usual 162 163.
> Changed the battery ... no refdisk load ... but if I put a refstamped
> 720k DOS disk, it boots.
> So, I prepared a 720K refdisk (removing all the dgs files, no testing by
> now ...) and did an automatic configuration ...
>
> "The description for the adapter in slot 4 is missing ..."
> Well, slot 4 ?
> I see three slot, the fourth should be the integrated disk controller ...
> Fired up IDMCA ... slot 4 is
> DFDF	ZOT-N200A MCA ARCNET INTERFACE
>
> ZOT ? Alien invasion ? You must be crazy ?!?!
>
> Mmmmh ... DFDF resemble DF9F (Integrated disk controller)
>
> Shut down ... removed battery ... reconfigured ... nothing ... always
> DFDF and ZOT ZOT ZOT ZOT ...
> Obviously, no HD is seen ...
>
> BTW, I noticed that the processor (I didn't remove the drive bay, so I
> looked from the top) has the classic IBM shiny metallic cover, marked IBM
> and Intel ... the other 8570 I have hasn't that style ...
>
> Any suggestion ?
> Two 8570 with the same (almost) problem ...

Obviously the HD sends a damaged ID or the ID is misread by what reason.

Swap out the HD from your other Mod. 70 and retest. If the error
persists swap the riser card. If no change occurs stuff in a known-good
card in one of the slots (maybe E001 Token Ring 16/4)
If it still doesn't read the card ID properly suspect the board to be
damaged.

--

Peter from Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de

BTW, now the floppy reads everything ... after the usual hard cleaning
and regreasing ...
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 9:00:24 AM
Replaced the capacitor (47uF, 16V), got 10240, controller error, then 165.
Did an automatic configuration, again ZOT ...
So I removed the HD, reconfigured ... avery error went away ...
Defective HD controller ...

The only time it started with the HD, I transferred correctly the data
with LapLink and after then, the HD gave random sector not found,
confirming the diagnose.
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 11:20:25 AM
Hmmm ... I'm tough ...
Removed again the HD, changed again the capacitor (they are used, taken
from dead boards), cleaned thoroughlly the edge connectot pins ...
reinserted ... now it seems to work.
Got an occasionally 2410 ... bah ... this machine is odd ...
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 1:46:00 PM
Hi Vincenzo !

> Replaced the capacitor (47uF, 16V), got 10240, controller error, then 165.
> Did an automatic configuration, again ZOT ...
> So I removed the HD, reconfigured ... avery error went away ...
> Defective HD controller ...

Maybe. Maybe not.

The controller itself is quite rigid - the silver caps aren't.
If you want to do some experiment "for the honour only" replace the
other ones too. In fact: any of that type you can find.
I would bet that the drive behaves much better. These caps stabilize the
internal DC along various chips and at the end of comparatively long and
twisted copper conducts. If the supply voltage drops locally the whole
controller behaves erratically.

> The only time it started with the HD, I transferred correctly the data
> with LapLink and after then, the HD gave random sector not found,
> confirming the diagnose.

Could as well be a local power drop due to the current drawn from the
positioning motor and -driver. See above.

--

Peter from Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de

The other 8570 has "normal" 386 Intel chip ...
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 2:29:53 PM
supervinx wrote:
> Hmmm ... I'm tough ...
> Removed again the HD, changed again the capacitor (they are used, taken
> from dead boards), cleaned thoroughlly the edge connectot pins ...
> reinserted ... now it seems to work.
> Got an occasionally 2410 ... bah ... this machine is odd ...

2401 caught my attention.

http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/49fe.htm

24xx EGA or VGA or L40SX LCD display
2401 Enhanced Grahpics Adapter Failure

2401 (PS/2) Planar video error -- it can be the display or the video.
First check for a solid connection -- wiggle the plug at the system end
and check for one or more bent pins
//-------- I had this error with a bad cable connection.

Next swap the monitor

If a 2401 error persists after swapping the monitor, then the system
board should be replaced next. However if your monitor serial number
starts with "72" , is below 72-0374000 and you cannot find the number
"61" stamped on the bottom of the display (you may need to remove the
display stand), then a replacement monitor will probably fix this error.

If it's definitely on the planar (ie another monitor fails) check the
Inmos palette DAC (ceramic DIP module with gold colored middle) for
shorts between the pins.
0
Louis
11/25/2009 3:00:43 PM
It was connected through a multiinput box to an Acer LCD, but cable it's
a bit ... cheap ... may be, in the mess of my table, something moved the
cable.
But the error disappeared with a simple ctrl-alt-del and didn't show
anymore ...
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 4:32:23 PM
It was connected through a multiinput box to an Acer LCD, but cable it's
a bit ... cheap ... may be, in the mess of my table, something moved the
cable.
But the error disappeared with a simple ctrl-alt-del and didn't show
anymore ...
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 4:32:23 PM
www.supervinx.com/temp/11250001.JPG
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 4:33:08 PM
Hi!

> 2401 caught my attention.

Some modern monitors will cause this, and I don't (entirely) know why.
I have a hunch that it might be something to do with the way that
modern monitors handle their ID pin(s).

It's also a symptom of a bad 8512 monitor. I have a few here that work
fine in every regard but cause a 2401 error on any PS/2 video
subsystem. I suspect a partially broken signal cable, since that was a
common problem.

William
0
William
11/25/2009 6:10:30 PM
Hi Vincenzo !

> www.supervinx.com/temp/11250001.JPG

Ah - fond memories came up with that photo.
Old computerboards have an esthetics of their own.

A 20Mhz unit - has the 40.0000MHz xtal oscillator above the CPU.
Divided by 2 it gives the CPU clock.
The mfg-date of the CPU is 12th week 1992 ... must be one of the final
series I think.
The washers under the fan-grille fixing screws look a bit corroded.

Is it a short board ?
Where the battery / speaker unit is attached with a short cable ?

--

Peter from Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de
> Is it a short board ?
> Where the battery / speaker unit is attached with a short cable ?

The cable frome the battery/speaker is long ... and there's an unused
wire, ending with a rubber shielded round metal contact.
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 10:33:25 PM
Hi Vincenzo !

>> Is it a short board ?
>> Where the battery / speaker unit is attached with a short cable ?
>
> The cable frome the battery/speaker is long ... and there's an unused
> wire, ending with a rubber shielded round metal contact.

The wire is to delete the POST password. Connect the inner metal part
with GND (e.g. PSU case) and the password is gone.

--

Peter from Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de