Asus U46E and Intel HD 3000 with blank external screen

One of MicroSloth's downloads must have dorked my display settings.
Prior to last week, I could run my Hannspree 23" LCD at 1900x1440 or so
as the only display. Then something was downloaded and I cannot get
better than 1380x900 or so on the external monitor, I can clone screens
with the laptop monitor, I can F8 between the Laptop and monitor, and
upon a cold boot I can run single screen on the 23" monitor at the lower
resolution (must use graphic options on tabletop), but as soon as it
suspends, blammo! It will NOT run the external monitor UNLESS the laptop
screen is active.

VGA port or HDMI port, it does NOT enable single screen operation.
Downloaded latest driver from Intel. No change. It accepts a change from
clone to single screen in display properties, changes to monitor, stays
up looking normal, then the monitor shuts off, but the signal LED
remains blue, meaning that it has signal... Go figure...
0
Louis

On Friday, 16 September 2016 23:57:05 UTC+1, Louis Ohland  wrote:
> One of MicroSloth's downloads must have dorked my display settings.
> Prior to last week, I could run my Hannspree 23" LCD at 1900x1440 or so
> as the only display. Then something was downloaded and I cannot get
> better than 1380x900 or so on the external monitor, I can clone screens
> with the laptop monitor, I can F8 between the Laptop and monitor, and
> upon a cold boot I can run single screen on the 23" monitor at the lower
> resolution (must use graphic options on tabletop), but as soon as it
> suspends, blammo! It will NOT run the external monitor UNLESS the laptop
> screen is active.
>
> VGA port or HDMI port, it does NOT enable single screen operation.
> Downloaded latest driver from Intel. No change. It accepts a change from
> clone to single screen in display properties, changes to monitor, stays
> up looking normal, then the monitor shuts off, but the signal LED
> remains blue, meaning that it has signal... Go figure...

Back out the display hardware's driver via Properties?

HTTH,
WBST

0
WBSTClarke
9/21/2016 10:36:40 AM
On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 11:36:41 UTC+1, WBSTClarke  wrote:
> On Friday, 16 September 2016 23:57:05 UTC+1, Louis Ohland  wrote:
> > One of MicroSloth's downloads must have dorked my display settings.
> > Prior to last week, I could run my Hannspree 23" LCD at 1900x1440 or so
> > as the only display. Then something was downloaded and I cannot get
> > better than 1380x900 or so on the external monitor, I can clone screens
> > with the laptop monitor, I can F8 between the Laptop and monitor, and
> > upon a cold boot I can run single screen on the 23" monitor at the lower
> > resolution (must use graphic options on tabletop), but as soon as it
> > suspends, blammo! It will NOT run the external monitor UNLESS the laptop
> > screen is active.
> >
> > VGA port or HDMI port, it does NOT enable single screen operation.
> > Downloaded latest driver from Intel. No change. It accepts a change from
> > clone to single screen in display properties, changes to monitor, stays
> > up looking normal, then the monitor shuts off, but the signal LED
> > remains blue, meaning that it has signal... Go figure...
>
> Back out the display hardware's driver via Properties?
>
> HTTH,
> WBST

Or check the Screen Saver settings? Those might have got "dorked", as you most eloquently put it. ;-)

Cheers,
WBST

0
WBSTClarke
9/21/2016 10:38:27 AM
On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 11:38:28 UTC+1, WBSTClarke  wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 11:36:41 UTC+1, WBSTClarke  wrote:
> > On Friday, 16 September 2016 23:57:05 UTC+1, Louis Ohland  wrote:
> > > One of MicroSloth's downloads must have dorked my display settings.
> > > Prior to last week, I could run my Hannspree 23" LCD at 1900x1440 or so
> > > as the only display. Then something was downloaded and I cannot get
> > > better than 1380x900 or so on the external monitor, I can clone screens
> > > with the laptop monitor, I can F8 between the Laptop and monitor, and
> > > upon a cold boot I can run single screen on the 23" monitor at the lower
> > > resolution (must use graphic options on tabletop), but as soon as it
> > > suspends, blammo! It will NOT run the external monitor UNLESS the laptop
> > > screen is active.
> > >
> > > VGA port or HDMI port, it does NOT enable single screen operation.
> > > Downloaded latest driver from Intel. No change. It accepts a change from
> > > clone to single screen in display properties, changes to monitor, stays
> > > up looking normal, then the monitor shuts off, but the signal LED
> > > remains blue, meaning that it has signal... Go figure...
> >
> > Back out the display hardware's driver via Properties?
> >
> > HTTH,
> > WBST
>
> Or check the Screen Saver settings? Those might have got "dorked", as you most eloquently put it. ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> WBST

Any Power Management utility (e.g. Lenovo style Advanced Power management) may override these settings too, so check anything like that.

Cheers,
WBST
0
WBSTClarke
9/21/2016 10:40:48 AM
After applying a few more M$ updates, and waving the rubber chicken, my
external monitor stays on after boot AND runs at it's maximum resolution.

I'm puzzled, but not gonna touch it.