Auction: 7 CASES OF IBM SCSI CABLE IBM MES BM:34L7054

<http://cgi.ebay.com/7-CASES-OF-IBM-SCSI-CABLE-IBM-MES-BM-34L7054_W0QQitemZ330055601649QQihZ014QQcategoryZ64047QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
BIN

IBM SCSI Computer Cable Mes BM:34L7054. 7 cases, 1 cable in each case,
each cable approx 100 ft.
0
Louis

> IBM SCSI Computer Cable Mes BM:34L7054. 7 cases, 1 cable in each case,
> each cable approx 100 ft.

I am curious about this. I have been using SCSI since 1989, and I have
never know a SCSI standard to reach 100ft.  ISTR 2-3 meters was max
length of SCSI-I, SCSI-II varied 7 to 12 meeters, and later SCSI
lengths were shorter due to the higher speeds of data transmission. Can
anyone comment on this?  I tend to believe the auction is really for a
loooooong parallel printer cable.

exwisdem

0
exwisdem
1/5/2007 6:53:15 PM
I googled 34L7054, but most of the hits were from that auction or
seller. Less than 20 hits.

Louis Ohland wrote:
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/7-CASES-OF-IBM-SCSI-CABLE-IBM-MES-BM-34L7054_W0QQitemZ330055601649QQihZ014QQcategoryZ64047QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem>
>
> BIN
>
> IBM SCSI Computer Cable Mes BM:34L7054. 7 cases, 1 cable in each case,
> each cable approx 100 ft.
0
Louis
1/5/2007 7:26:20 PM
Hi David,

"exwisdem" <daress@donet.com> schreef in bericht

>> IBM SCSI Computer Cable Mes BM:34L7054. 7 cases, 1 cable in each case,
>> each cable approx 100 ft.
>
> I am curious about this. I have been using SCSI since 1989, and I have
> never know a SCSI standard to reach 100ft.  ISTR 2-3 meters was max
> length of SCSI-I, SCSI-II varied 7 to 12 meeters, and later SCSI
> lengths were shorter due to the higher speeds of data transmission. Can
> anyone comment on this?  I tend to believe the auction is really for a
> loooooong parallel printer cable.

Found this in the manual for the ASUS P2B-S mainboard ("-S" stands for
SCSI-equipped; it has  "Fast (50-pin) / Wide (68-pin) and Ultra2 (68-pin)
SCSI-connectors") :
"The onboard Adaptec AIC-7890AB chipset (optional) incorporates an advanced
multimode I/O cell that supports both single-ended (SE) and Ultra2 devices.
With Ultra2 devices, the SCSI bus platform performs at full Ultra2 speeds
(up to 40 MB/sec in 8-bit mode and up to 80MB/sec in 16-bit mode) and
extended cabling 12m (or 25m in a point-to-point configuration). When an SE
device is attached, the bus defaults to an SE speed and cable length. In
mixed environments of Ultra2 and SE devices, the onboard host adapter can be
coupled with the Adaptec AIC-3860 transceiver chipset (optional) to bridge
the compatibility gap. By dividing the SCSI bus into independent SE and low
voltage differential (LVD) segments, the transceiver chip supports legacy
devices without limiting performance and cable length on the LVD segment."

So maybe it *is* a SCSI-cable after all. Pictures don't show any connectors.

--
Jelte
The information contained in this post is copyright the poster

0
JWR
1/5/2007 8:42:54 PM
On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 21:42:54 +0100, JWR wrote:

> So maybe it *is* a SCSI-cable after all. Pictures don't show
> any connectors.

I have a box of wide SCSI cables, mostly HP, that are the longest
SCSI cables I've seen.  They're so long that I think my box only
holds a few of them.  I think some of them would come up a little
under 90 feet -- consistent with what's shown in the picture.

Anybody wants to play with one its just $20 plus shipping.

--

CL

| Charles Lasitter   | Address, Mail / Ship:   |
| 401/728-1987       | 14 Cooke St             |
| cl@ncdm.com        | Pawtucket RI 02860-6114 |
Charles
1/6/2007 7:41:42 AM
On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 02:41:42 -0500, Charles Lasitter <cl@ncdm.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 21:42:54 +0100, JWR wrote:
>
>> So maybe it *is* a SCSI-cable after all. Pictures don't show
>> any connectors.
>
>I have a box of wide SCSI cables, mostly HP, that are the longest
>SCSI cables I've seen.  They're so long that I think my box only
>holds a few of them.  I think some of them would come up a little
>under 90 feet -- consistent with what's shown in the picture.
>
>Anybody wants to play with one its just $20 plus shipping.

Usually a long SCSI cable implies it was supposed to be differential
SCSI. The spec on single ended is something like 3 meters but
differential is more like 27 as I recall. I know the long SCSI cables
in a white box rack AS/400 was differential. I threw away a bunch of
tape drives and other stuff many years ago because I couldn't come up
with a PC controller that worked.
0
gfretwell