Auction: IBM PS/2 Model 70 386

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120090281232

Starting bid: US $0.99

Auction ends: 1 Mar 2007 12:02:40 PST

Location: Tustin, CA, USA

Much cheaper than the other one, and even includes an evilnet adapter.

Not affiliated, other than drooled over the auction. Now, were are the
wipes for my flat panel...

exwisdem

0
exwisdem

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:17:08 UTC, "exwisdem" <daress@donet.com> wrote:

-> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120090281232
->
-> Starting bid: US $0.99
->
-> Auction ends: 1 Mar 2007 12:02:40 PST
->
-> Location: Tustin, CA, USA
->
-> Much cheaper than the other one, and even includes an evilnet adapter.
->
-> Not affiliated, other than drooled over the auction. Now, were are the
-> wipes for my flat panel...
->
-> exwisdem
->

I'd love to buy something like this for the OS/2 museum but the
shipping is usually a killer.  Looking at this auction, it would run
about $31 - 40 to ship to PA.  And that is actually cheaper then a lot
of these I have looked at.  I may bid on it and see how it goes but
most likely it will cost too much for my projects limited funds.  :-(

Mark

--
From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

 http://www.os2voice.org
 Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada,  Oct 12-15, 2006 -
http://www.warpstock.org
0
Mark
2/23/2007 1:44:12 AM
Hi!

> Much cheaper than the other one, and even includes an evilnet adapter.

A very nice machine no doubt, but the other one is a 25MHz boxen and
somewhat rarer. 20MHz short planar Model 70s seem to be the most common of
all the Model 70 systems.

I've seen references to a 20MHz "long" planar in IBM documentation, but
never in an actual Model 70. Has anyone seen such a beast?

William
0
William
2/23/2007 3:24:34 AM
Hi William !

> A very nice machine no doubt, but the other one is a 25MHz boxen and
> somewhat rarer. 20MHz short planar Model 70s seem to be the most common of
> all the Model 70 systems.

The long planar "lived" only about 1 year. It was that designed for the
same fully robotized assembly line the Mod. 50 (non-Z) dropped off.
The short planar and that of the 50Z required some person (or a more
complex robot arm) to attach the speaker / battery cable, which was not
existing on the long-70 / 50-021 systems.

After these machines IBM dropped the cable-less fully robotized
approach. Too much monkey business. The next generation (Mod. 55SX and
the 56 / 57) then had cables again.

Last unit still in production on the original 1987 machinery (after my
infos) is the 4207 IBM Proprinter-III in some small factory in italy
made for banking printers.

> I've seen references to a 20MHz "long" planar in IBM documentation, but
> never in an actual Model 70. Has anyone seen such a beast?

The first generation 16 and 20 MHz Mod. 70's use a long board.
It is shown in the HMM planar section. They label it "Reduced" and
"Full" size.
The long board suffered various illnesses. Required the DASDDRVR.SYS
under DOS 3.3 - 5.0, lost date / time occasionally for no reason,
disliked various types of memory modules (single sided 10-chip / 8 data,
2 (!) for parity) that ran on short boards with no problems. The path
between CPU and memory section was about 3 times longer than on the
short board, which might explain some problems.

Sometimes problems with 8514/A and e.g. Token Ring (long 4 MBit) and /
or 3278 long card showed up in the way that one or neither worked properly.

I - for one - was glad when the short board arrived and all the problems
were cured. If you have about 200 - 300 Mod. 70 around at the customers
you learn to appreciate the fixes done at IBM back then.

--
Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

*** Reply to: peterwendt@aol.com only ! ***
0
Peter