Auction: IBM PS/2 MODEL 8590-OH9, MICROCHANNEL, COMPUTER,VINTAGE

 >http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-PS-2-MODEL-8590-OH9-MICROCHANNEL-COMPUTER-VINTAGE_W0QQitemZ8713664375QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<
Ends Oct-31-05 10:24:25 PST

I think it's that wooden shoe out in Kali-fornia....
0
Louis

it sure is, i got a splinter
Jerry

--
Brought to you from a COMPAQ PROLIANT 3000, check out  www.jerrysmicro.com
"Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message

>http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-PS-2-MODEL-8590-OH9-MICROCHANNEL-COMPUTER-VINTAGE_W
0QQitemZ8713664375QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem<
> Ends Oct-31-05 10:24:25 PST
>
> I think it's that wooden shoe out in Kali-fornia....

Hi!

Would love to have an *85*90, but I'm tired of the eBay game at the
moment. Wish it had a "buy it now".

Jerry, does this thing have the artifact DBA ESDI connectors at the
front of the planar, or just the solder spots?

William

0
wm_walsh
10/25/2005 6:38:15 PM
The -OG9 that I had came with solder pads, IIRC.
0
Louis
Only has the solder spots, no connector.
Jerry

--
<wm_walsh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Would love to have an *85*90, but I'm tired of the eBay game at the
> moment. Wish it had a "buy it now".
>
> Jerry, does this thing have the artifact DBA ESDI connectors at the
> front of the planar, or just the solder spots?
>
> William

>Jerry, does this thing have the artifact DBA ESDI connectors at the
>front of the planar, or just the solder spots?

I think I have a 8590-AGx in my collection that does have the DBA
connectors.  One can stuff in a DBA disk and it can be configured with the
reference disk.  Practical use is limited however.  Older BIOS versions
have support for ESDI, however you cannot create a system partition on the
disk - the reference disk complains that the boot drive doesn't support a
reference partition.  I guess the necessary BIOS calls are missing...the
latest T1 complex BIOS has no ESDI support at all.  The drive can still be
configured, but the BIOS simply doesn't 'see' the drives.  One could try
to use such a disk e.g. as a non-bootable data disk under Linux with the
ps2esdi driver, but the driver is rather slow and 160 MByte disk drives
are not that attractive these days any more...

Best regards

Alfred

--
Alfred Arnold                   E-Mail: alfred@ccac.rwth-aachen.de
Computer Club at the            http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/alf/

0
Alfred
10/26/2005 7:09:48 AM
Hi!

> I think I have a 8590-AGx in my collection that does have the DBA
> connectors.  One can stuff in a DBA disk and it can be configured with the
> reference disk.  Practical use is limited however.

Hmm...have you got a picture of them anywhere? I'm curious as to what
planar mounted DBA ESDI plugs look like.

(Also--I noticed in your collection a Model 90 *without* a Delta power
supply. Any chance you'd have a maker name from that PSU...or a
picture?)

Oddly enough the Model 90 manual has instructions for installing a hard
disk "with a connector". I think this might be for DBA ESDI disks...the
pictures just show sticking a drive into the machine, and the drive
looks to have an edgecard on it. There are also instructions for
installing drives "without a connector" (presumably SCSI drives).

> Older BIOS versions
> have support for ESDI, however you cannot create a system partition on the
> disk - the reference disk complains that the boot drive doesn't support a
> reference partition.  I guess the necessary BIOS calls are missing...the
> latest T1 complex BIOS has no ESDI support at all.

I have to wonder what the Type 0 complex does with these DBA ESDI
connectors. It's too bad that the Type 0 I have does not work. (I think
the BIOS ROM is bad...)

Of course, if I did get it to run, I would still need a 90 with the
sockets and not solder pads.

William

0
wm_walsh
10/26/2005 1:29:29 PM
Hi William !

>>I think I have a 8590-AGx in my collection that does have the DBA
>>connectors.  One can stuff in a DBA disk and it can be configured with the
>>reference disk.  Practical use is limited however.
>

> Hmm...have you got a picture of them anywhere? I'm curious as to what
> planar mounted DBA ESDI plugs look like.

The DBA connectors are 90� angled. The drives fit in there horizontally
as the sysboard - other than the Mod. 70 DBA connector. That one is
vertically from the HD riser board. So you cannot pick one off from a
Mod. 70 (or 50Z) and solder it into a Mod. 90 planar.

It were of little use anyway, since none of the platforms has ESDI
support any longer. Not even the Type-0. It has some sort of support,
but it appears to be non-functional as far as I can tell.

--
Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

*** Reply to: peterwendt@aol.com only ! ***
0
Peter