Auction: Vintage ibm microchannel ps2 server 500 raid computer(plus others in 320/720 class!)

http://search.ebay.com/270665650040
Nov 22, 201014:12:43 PST

Vintage ibm microchannel ps2 server 500 raid computer
This is a large working computer.
I  see that it has the same motherboard as a model 95
It will not come with the processor card or hard drives
but guaranteed to play
If no interest they will go for scrap
I have several of them as well as some 720's and 320's half pci's
I an cleaning out a vintage warehouse.
They are big server computers from yesteryear
It will be sold for parts or repair.
They were the CADILACS OF T^HE DAY
FOR LOCAL PICKUP ONLY  ( Binghamton ny) as  is quite heavy
They work but could use a little bit of cleaning.
They have been sitting around for awhile

Before they go to the crusher, I will see if there is any interest.  (to
be saved from the crusher)
0
ohland (44)

Cool find Louis. You must scan the "dailies" every day.   :-)
If I was in the vicinity, I would make an effort to drive there and have a
look. I can't imagine in 2010 seeing many of these things together in one
place anymore. Wish he had a picture.
Alas, I am in the final stages of making up my minds to dissolve my
collection. Sadly, I don't want to package these monsters up and ship 'em,
so I'm trying to decide what to do. I'll probably keep 'em for some time,
but the minds are thinking of other things.

bobwatts
EartH

Stay thirsty my friends.

"Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message
> http://search.ebay.com/270665650040
> Nov 22, 201014:12:43 PST
>
> Vintage ibm microchannel ps2 server 500 raid computer
> This is a large working computer.
> I  see that it has the same motherboard as a model 95
> It will not come with the processor card or hard drives
> but guaranteed to play
> If no interest they will go for scrap
> I have several of them as well as some 720's and 320's half pci's
> I an cleaning out a vintage warehouse.
> They are big server computers from yesteryear
> It will be sold for parts or repair.
> They were the CADILACS OF T^HE DAY
> FOR LOCAL PICKUP ONLY  ( Binghamton ny) as  is quite heavy
> They work but could use a little bit of cleaning.
> They have been sitting around for awhile
>
> Before they go to the crusher, I will see if there is any interest.  (to
> be saved from the crusher)

0
Robert
11/18/2010 11:43:14 PM
If only it were nearer :(
There's a sea, a big sea, the Ocean !
0
supervinx
11/18/2010 11:54:44 PM
Louis Ohland wrote:
> http://search.ebay.com/270665650040

At $45.00 for a frame, I'm not interested, even though Binghamton is
only a few miles away from me (probably less than 10, unless he's on the
east side).

So if anyone else is interested, I can act as your proxy for pickup, my
van will hold more than one PC Server.

Rick Ekblaw
0
Rick
11/19/2010 12:38:42 AM
They already pulled the memory for gold because it was old fashioned.
They have some bigger systems, I guess RS/6000 boxes.

On 11/18/2010 18:38, Rick Ekblaw wrote:
> Louis Ohland wrote:
>> http://search.ebay.com/270665650040
>
> At $45.00 for a frame, I'm not interested, even though Binghamton is
> only a few miles away from me (probably less than 10, unless he's on the
> east side).
>
> So if anyone else is interested, I can act as your proxy for pickup, my
> van will hold more than one PC Server.
>
> Rick Ekblaw

0
Louis
11/19/2010 12:48:24 AM
Hi!

> Alas, I am in the final stages of making up my minds to dissolve my
> collection.

About now, a little voice should spring up to you and say "don't forget me!
don't forget meeeee!"

Have S-truck, will travel. Been to Texas and KY so far. Don't have much to
offer, mainly a safe haven for all no-longer-wanted things Microchannel. No
doubt there are some things I'll want, but I'm not opposed to forwarding
things onward to the remaining faithful.

Especially desired are 9585 K/N boxen, which I *know* you have. :-)

I'm pretty sure you know where to send the e-mail to, but if you left it on
KlaXXoN:

wct <atsign> walshcomptech <dot> com

William

0
William
11/22/2010 7:49:32 PM
W dniu 2010-11-18 20:19, Louis Ohland pisze:
> http://search.ebay.com/270665650040
> Nov 22, 201014:12:43 PST
>
> Before they go to the crusher, I will see if there is any interest. (to
> be saved from the crusher)

No one bought it? Seeing a Server 500 going to trash makes wonder
whether it makes sense to collect MCA systems - you invest time and
money and in the end almost no one cares. A sad day.

piotrek
0
piotrek
11/23/2010 9:11:52 PM
On 11/23/2010 15:11, piotrek glizniewicz wrote:
> W dniu 2010-11-18 20:19, Louis Ohland pisze:
>> http://search.ebay.com/270665650040
>> Nov 22, 201014:12:43 PST
>>
>> Before they go to the crusher, I will see if there is any interest. (to
>> be saved from the crusher)
>
> No one bought it? Seeing a Server 500 going to trash makes wonder
> whether it makes sense to collect MCA systems - you invest time and
> money and in the end almost no one cares. A sad day.
>
> piotrek

With no drives or complex, pretty sure no adapters, what good is it?
0
Louis
11/23/2010 9:30:17 PM
W dniu 2010-11-23 22:30, Louis Ohland pisze:
> On 11/23/2010 15:11, piotrek glizniewicz wrote:
>> W dniu 2010-11-18 20:19, Louis Ohland pisze:
>>> http://search.ebay.com/270665650040
>>> Nov 22, 201014:12:43 PST
>>>
>>> Before they go to the crusher, I will see if there is any interest. (to
>>> be saved from the crusher)
>>
>> No one bought it? Seeing a Server 500 going to trash makes wonder
>> whether it makes sense to collect MCA systems - you invest time and
>> money and in the end almost no one cares. A sad day.
>>
>> piotrek
>
> With no drives or complex, pretty sure no adapters, what good is it?

To me the chassis would be most important, because this is the part that
usually gets scrapped first - I have a working 90 and 95 planar but no
chassis, because the one in which these components worked was probably
processed into razorblades. And there aren't many working Server 500s,
are there (I've seen 2 on the Internet)? The planar is probably the late
N-Z one, even without a complex it would be a good spare (I tend to buy
spares for most of my collection). I assumed the RAID controllers with
cabling are included. The drives would be probably easy to replace - I
bought an array full of SCSI drives for 1 PLN (about 0.3 USD).

piotrek
0
piotrek
11/23/2010 10:24:08 PM
"piotrek glizniewicz" <glizda@gmail.com> wrote in message
>W dniu 2010-11-23 22:30, Louis Ohland pisze:

>>> No one bought it? Seeing a Server 500 going to trash makes wonder
>>> whether it makes sense to collect MCA systems - you invest time and
>>> money and in the end almost no one cares. A sad day.
>>>
>>> piotrek
>>
>> With no drives or complex, pretty sure no adapters, what good is it?
>
> To me the chassis would be most important, because this is the part that
> usually gets scrapped first - I have a working 90 and 95 planar but no
> chassis, because the one in which these components worked was probably
> processed into razorblades. And there aren't many working Server 500s, are
> there (I've seen 2 on the Internet)? The planar is probably the late N-Z
> one, even without a complex it would be a good spare (I tend to buy spares
> for most of my collection). I assumed the RAID controllers with cabling
> are included. The drives would be probably easy to replace - I bought an
> array full of SCSI drives for 1 PLN (about 0.3 USD).

The biggest problem would have been, possibly, having to source RAID (Type-2
or Type-3) trays. Possibly the SCSI (Type-2 or Type-3) backplane(s) or extra
ones, SCSI cables, terminators etc. and what PSU(s) were installed. The
listing was too brief, and to denude it of the processor complex was rather
stupid, really. The planar would have been the 9595 (not 8595) one and thus
required a Type-4 (P60, P66 or P90) complex, which are pretty thin on the
ground now. Obviously, to ship from the US to this side of the pond would
have been expensive or rather involved to arrange.

I've a PC Server 500, 2 x PC Server 520s and 2 x PC Server 720s (with P390
complexes in one of each of the duplicated ones, and another for potential
installation in my RS/6000 7013-J50 server) and it's taken me years to
accumulate the necessary spares and upgrades. And that's only a small part
of my "inventory". These days I'm concentrating more on my cars, though.
--
Cheers,
    Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
11/24/2010 12:01:37 AM
piotrek glizniewicz wrote:
> And there aren't many working Server 500s, are there (I've seen 2 on the
> Internet)?

After 10+ years, my S500 is still serving ham radio data to the internet
APRS-IS and handling local relay traffic over radio.

http://www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/basic?call=NU0C-1

Poor thing is probably somewhat bored, this is a light load for this
class of machine.

Try that with a clone.

-Jim
0
Dr
11/24/2010 4:02:49 AM
You had a chance to bid if you really wanted another frame, as I said
that I would act as a pickup proxy for anyone who was interested.  I
didn't get anyone taking me up on the offer.  In addition to Tim and
Jim, I've got two Server 500s, both with the 390 card set, I don't need
another.  Now if the seller had been offering a complete Server 500 with
complex, memory and drives for $45.00, I might have bit on it seeing as
how I'm so close to the seller's location, because that would have been
a reasonable price to provide me with even more spare parts -- but I've
already got spares of all parts for my Server 500s except for the 390
card set.

But $45.00 for a frame when I've already got two perfectly good frames
fully populated?  Nope, I've got enough stuff gathering dust already.

Rick Ekblaw
0
Rick
11/24/2010 12:19:58 PM
On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:02:49 -0600, "Dr. Jim"
<jshorney.hates.spam@inebraska.com> wrote:

>After 10+ years, my S500 is still serving ham radio data to the internet
>APRS-IS and handling local relay traffic over radio.
>
>http://www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/basic?call=NU0C-1
>
>Poor thing is probably somewhat bored, this is a light load for this
>class of machine.
>
>Try that with a clone.
>
>-Jim

There are amateur radio groups around here using as old as 5170 AT PCs
and 486 based Dell servers for repeaters and other uses since a lot of
their software is DOS and Unix. They work fine and I was able to give
them 2 of the same Dell servers for parts use so if they have a dead
PSU or mainboard they have parts set aside in the repeater room.
0
Russ

Auction: Vintage ibm microchannel ps2 server 500 raid computer
http://search.ebay.com/270670057784 Dec 01, 201005:53:24 PST or BIN OK, dwellers in the cellar, fish or cut bait. All this whining on scrapping systems. Not, no complex or drives. Pickup, only. Do you want some cheese with that whine? "It will not come with the processor card or hard drives but guaranteed to play" Play what?? -- Jelte, Admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki "Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> schreef in bericht news:StSHo.15081$663.11295@newsfe01.iad... > http://search.ebay.com/270670057784 > Dec 01, 201...

Auction: vintage ibm ps2 microchannel mca computer mod 90 486
>http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-ibm-ps2-microchannel-mca-computer-mod-90-486_W0QQitemZ8784004885QQcategoryZ51096QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< End time: Mar-26-06 14:57:08 PST ..it has a XGA video .it has a;180 mb ;hard drive.with OS2 3.0 and WINDOWS 3.1 and IBM DOS on it, all three,,it has 16MB RAM,, also a 1.44 MB floppy drive .also it has a 486 33 mhz processor in it. Ed. My guess is a 160MB SCSI drive, a K complex, and a Spock with cache. Not sure what level, one, two, or three can, or SCSI BIOS. I could not bring enough detail out of the image in order to detect the particulars....

Auction: IBM PS2 PS/2 Vintage Server Collectible sys 8595-0KF (William!! It's a xKx!!!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270237772168 Starting bid: US $59.00 End time: May-22-08 09:23:51 PDT (6 days 19 hours) Ships to: Worldwide Item location: Holliston/Boston, MA, United States You are bidding on a IBM PS2 PS/2 Vintage Server Collectible sys 8595-0KF. This has been test and in working condition. This is not really intended to be used as a computer, rather a collectible piece of IBM history. Unit IS WORKING, and cosmetically in great shape It has a 1.44 floppy and NO Hard drive and would require very specific ones if you were to go the r...

[auction US] IBM MICROCHANNEL 1200-2400BPS MODEM FOR IBM PS2 SYSTEMS
Beware! The seller doesn't seem to care much about which card you'll be getting! >http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120086889786&ss PageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002< Regards, Alvin. ...

Auction: IBM PS2 Personal Vintage Computer NICE! LOOK! What is this?
I saw a 55SX on auction. Looked at the history, and it looks odd. CT, is the autobid at work here, or is it something else? >http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-PS2-Personal-Vintage-Computer-NICE-LOOK_W0QQitemZ8751039671QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< Ends Jan-19-06 16:35:30 PST mtmmich1 ( 11) US $36.00 Jan-18-06 15:14:33 PST mtmmich1 ( 11) US $36.00 Jan-17-06 11:44:35 PST advcircuit ( 463) US $35.00 Jan-17-06 17:06:01 PST exweiman ( 1 ) US $33.00 Jan-17-06 14:38:05 PST exweiman ( 1 ) US $31.00 Jan-17-06 14:37:47 PST exweiman ( 1 ) US $29.00 Jan-17-06...

Auction: Vintage IBM PS2 Computer Service Manuals Floppy Disks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170118815858 Starting bid: US $4.99 End time: Jun-10-07 18:34:02 PDT (6 days 5 hours) Shipping costs: US $5.00 (discount available) Ships to: United States Item location: Owatonna, MN, United States This 3 ring binder contains service information for the Personal Systems/2 family of IBM personal Computers. Included are 10 each diagnosis and reference floppy disks, folded service summary manuals and about 250-300 printed pages in a tabbed reference section. General information, model 8525, model 8530, model 8550, model 85...

Vintage IBM industrial computer/PS2 (7541)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5221558276 Ends Jul-26-05 20:32:18 PDT -- Reply to ohland@charter.net Louis Ohland wrote: > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5221558276 > Ends Jul-26-05 20:32:18 PDT > Reply to ohland@charter.net Dave Finzel is a good seller. Where could we find information about this 7541 box? Dan Louis Ohland wrote: > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5221558276 > Ends Jul-26-05 20:32:18 PDT > Reply to ohland@charter.net Dave Finzel is a good seller. Where could w...

Auction: Vintage IBM Portable Computer PS2 P70/386 PLASMA SCREEN
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330122615225 Starting bid: US $19.99 End time: May-27-07 17:57:18 PDT (6 days 16 hours) Ships to: United States Item location: Edgewater, Maryland, United States 8573-121 No affiliation -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com ...

Auction: VINTAGE IBM PS2 MODEL 30 286 COMPUTER FOR REPAIR PARTS
Dead clock battery. (I'm still working on getting a DS1287 apart without completely destroying it. Who'd have thought it would be this entertaining?) http://search.ebay.com/220101437534 Ships to the US, located in Palm Harbor, FL. Ends Apr-17-07, 14:28:17 PDT No affiliation. William Hi William ! > Dead clock battery. (I'm still working on getting a DS1287 apart without > completely destroying it. Who'd have thought it would be this entertaining?) I really wonder why it is so difficult for you. Really. Next time use a Dremel or a sharp metal sa...

IBM SERVER RAID CARD. (PS2 Connector) auction (Aussie Militia on the march)
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=167&item=2759802876< Oct-23-03 00:29:54 PDT Cheetah Seller will include the RAID cable, I believe. Would rather have beer. ...

Auction: vintage ibm PS2 e pizza box 486 9533 not microchannel
<http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-ibm-PS2-e-pizza-box-486-9533-not-microchannel_W0QQitemZ300060751229QQihZ020QQcategoryZ140076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> End time: Dec-21-06 05:37:11 PST No 4 slot PCMCIA adapter. Louis Ohland wrote: > <http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-ibm-PS2-e-pizza-box-486-9533-not-microchannel_W0QQitemZ300060751229QQihZ020QQcategoryZ140076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> > And from the same seller, a NCR 3300: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300061203465 ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unr...

Auction: Vintage IBM PS2 PC Hardware Maintenance Manual Models 25
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-IBM-PS2-PC-Hardware-Maintenance-Manual_W0QQitemZ270078671271QQihZ017QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> End time: Jan-18-07 17:11:07 PST These are good for quick service to the systems. I am electric, electric eye... ...

Auction: IBM PS2 Vintage Personal Computer Model 57 SX + monitor (UK)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200175327335 Starting bid: �25.00 End time: 26-Dec-07 09:30:00 GMT (2 days 13 hours) Pick up only - see item description for details Item location: Cambridge, United Kingdom IBM PS/2 computer Model 57 SX, this was the personal property of my late father. it is still in its original boxes complete with original manuals, colour monitor, rotating stand for monitor, IBM keyboard, all power leads, floppy boot disks etc. it is in very good condition, as it was his personal property and ordered directly new from factory for h...

Auction: IBM PS2 PS/2 VINTAGE 8530 8086 COMPUTER SYSTEM 8530-C03
Totally medialess...there isn't even a floppy drive. Never seen anything like it before. Check out the full length ISA TR card (probably 4 megabit...)! Current bid of $19.99, shipping to me was figured at $20.93. Located in Holliston, MA USA. Ships worldwide. http://search.ebay.com/280227390214 (which brings me to something else--what is up with all these eBay IDs that I've seen lately where there are two characters at each end of the ID separated by *s? must be a privacy thing or something...) William Hi William, > Totally medialess...there isn't even a fl...

Web resources about - Auction: Vintage ibm microchannel ps2 server 500 raid computer(plus others in 320/720 class!) - comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware

Stretchable Loudspeaker using Liquid Metal Microchannel
Considering the various applications of wearable and bio-implantable devices, it is desirable to realize stretchable acoustic devices for body-attached ...

Mixing liquid in microchannels: How to cut a vortex into slices
A group of physicists came up with a way to stir up a liquid in a microchannel. Physicists managed to find a sophisticated solution to the problem ...

Creating microchannels with a 3-D printer
Bionanotechnologists from Wageningen University have developed a new, inexpensive way to make microfluidic devices without using costly materials ...

Mass spectrometry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is used for determining masses of particles, for determining the elemental composition of a sample or molecule , and for elucidating the chemical ...

Free Geek Vancouver Volunteer Blog
Hi all, I've wanted to document the technical side of some hardware hacking for quite a while. Here it is, continuing from the less-nerdy first ...

E- Computer, Telephony and Electronics Glossary and Dictionary
Computer, Telephony and Electronics Glossary and Dictionary - CSGNetwork.Com's award winning online glossary of computer, telephony and electronics ...

Sara Godfrey « Electronics Cooling Magazine – Focused on Thermal Management, TIMs, Fans, Heat Sinks ...
Author Archive for Sara Godfrey An introduction to thermoelectric coolers September 1st, 1996 Figure 1: Cross Section of a Typical TECouple Introduction ...

IBM deploys hot-water cooled supercomputer
... water is pumped in one side of the blade, circulates throughout the system, and is pumped out. The difference, according to IBM, are the microchannels ...

This Sci-Fi Touchscreen Can Give The iPhone Real Buttons
Most of us have adjusted to life with touchscreens. They lack tactile feedback, the rubber nubs that enable thoughtless use of our television ...

Why a Sperm Cell Is Like a Roomba
A sperm cell, much like an expensive robotic vacuum cleaner, is a minimally intelligent body on a mission. Both the Roomba and the male gamete ...