FA: IBM ps2 Micro Channel Soundblaster

Greetings programs,
Up for auction on eBay is a micro channel soundblaster.
Follow this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74946&item=5230824847

Thanks
end of line

0
gametrader

"gametrader",
> Up for auction on eBay is a micro channel soundblaster...
     High bidder is "ps2cheese", so why try bidding?
                          David
                          David@IBMMuseum.com

0
David
8/16/2005 5:46:25 PM
> "gametrader",
> > Up for auction on eBay is a micro channel soundblaster...
>      High bidder is "ps2cheese", so why try bidding?

I would have to agree. "ps2cheese" bids so high and snipes
so often, I wish I had a bunch of money just to piss him
once for the many times he has sniped me.

exwisdem
0
David
8/16/2005 6:28:21 PM
Hi David...

"David Ress" <daress@NOSPAM.donet.com> wrote in message
> > "gametrader",
> > > Up for auction on eBay is a micro channel soundblaster...
> >      High bidder is "ps2cheese", so why try bidding?
>
> I would have to agree. "ps2cheese" bids so high and snipes
> so often, I wish I had a bunch of money just to piss him
> once for the many times he has sniped me.

Tell me more, I see he's not on "the Stone" and obviously doesn't respect
it, despite picking up info. from here ("not cricket, y'know... Very bad
form, ol' boy"). I may try that on something I really want.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/16/2005 7:17:23 PM
David Ress wrote:
>>"gametrader",
>>
>>>Up for auction on eBay is a micro channel soundblaster...
>>
>>     High bidder is "ps2cheese", so why try bidding?
>

> I would have to agree. "ps2cheese" bids so high and snipes
> so often, I wish I had a bunch of money just to piss him
> once for the many times he has sniped me.
>
> exwisdem

Who is ps2cheese?

--Daniel
0
Daniel
8/16/2005 7:17:49 PM
Hi!

If I didn't have one, she or he would have a lesson coming in how to
snipe and win! All in the name of good fun of course...and education!
:-D

(Of course I'm kidding around.)

Anybody know who ps2cheese is or who it might be?

I've noticed in times past that "dproject" can be quite aggressive
too...that's another user ID to which I can't presently assign a name
or NG member to. However, if "dproject" watches the group, I'm glad
they didn't fight me for that PCMCIA adapter. That is very much
appreciated.

Oh...David (Ress)...I've finally managed to get ahold of a PCMCIA/A
adapter card and done up an updated outline on it. I remember your
working hard to get all of us with such an adapter Windows NT support.
Do you suppose there is any chance of Win95 support for this adapter?
I'd like to run it in a Model 9585-0XF where I think that WinNT 4.0
might be a bit of a stretch.

0
wm_walsh
8/16/2005 7:23:20 PM
David Ress wrote:
> I would have to agree. "ps2cheese" bids so high and snipes
> so often, I wish I had a bunch of money just to piss him
> once for the many times he has sniped me.

ps2cheese sounds like some super-villian...maybe he has a large lair
where he puts all of his over-paid-for treasure?  Maybe he lives in a
swamp and everytime he snips an auction, there is this loud hair-raising
laugh that echos through the surrounding wilderness?  No limits to the
imagination.

--Daniel
0
Daniel
8/16/2005 7:29:31 PM
Hi William,
> I'd like to run it in a Model 9585-0XF where I think that WinNT
> 4.0 might be a bit of a stretch.
      The 'X' should do an AMD 5x86-133 in the socket. Mine has 256Mb RAM
(eight slots, so I HAD to have used the 32Mb EOS SIMMs). Should run NT 4.0
well enough at that level.
                      David
                      David@IBMMuseum.com

0
David
8/16/2005 8:07:17 PM
Hi Daniel...

"Daniel Hamilton" <daniel_nospam_@cavs.msstate.edu> wrote in message

> >>     High bidder is "ps2cheese", so why try bidding?
> >
> > I would have to agree. "ps2cheese" bids so high and snipes
> > so often, I wish I had a bunch of money just to piss him
> > once for the many times he has sniped me.
>
> Who is ps2cheese?

Search the NG, asked and answered earlier.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/16/2005 8:16:50 PM
Maybe he just lives in a dark cave and plays with himself...........

Maybe he farts in the bathtub and bites the bubbles........

Maybe "dproject" and "ps2cheese" are one and the same............

May the sores of a thousand whores infest his inguinal region..........

CT the Prophet

0
Tim
8/16/2005 8:19:17 PM
Hi CT...

"Tim Knight" <ferrousp@aol.com> wrote in message
> SNIP>
> May the sores of a thousand whores infest his inguinal region..........

I, personally, prefer the quote:

"may the excrement of a thousand Baktrian camels fall upon him from a great
height"...

Great steaming piles of shhhhh...

What's with the "dproject" alias? Still not on "the Stone" though, so fair
game too???

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/16/2005 8:23:44 PM
wm_walsh@hotmail.com wrote:

> Anybody know who ps2cheese is or who it might be?

I had some contact with him.
He is on retirement AFAIR and lives in the northern area in Germany
(around Bremen). If "Helmut from Austria" would come and check in he
would be able to give some more details, since they once met for
swapping parts.

--
Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

*** Reply to: peterwendt@aol.com only ! ***
0
Peter
8/16/2005 8:37:35 PM
Hi!

256MB in the 85 "X"? I thought it maxed out at 64...uh-oh, there's a
new goal to acheive here. :-)

Right now I'm running exclusively on the soldered SX and may be for a
while yet. I had a 133MHz TurboChip installed (complete with
custom-fashioned heatsink
(http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/tc133fanfix.htm). Unfortunately the
heatsink fell off and I pulled the chip to repair the heatsink.

Now I've misplaced the TurboChip and can't find it anywhere...

William

0
wm_walsh
8/16/2005 8:59:02 PM
Hello William,

> Oh...David (Ress)...I've finally managed to get ahold of a PCMCIA/A
> adapter card and done up an updated outline on it. I remember your
> working hard to get all of us with such an adapter Windows NT support.
> Do you suppose there is any chance of Win95 support for this adapter?
> I'd like to run it in a Model 9585-0XF where I think that WinNT 4.0
> might be a bit of a stretch.

Good find, I bet you will enjoy it. I hope Guenter H. has gotten some
good use out of his. I know I have enjoyed mine, but only due to the
generosity of one our members.

While I did not see it listed on APSoft's website, you might want to
surf over to:

http://www.tssc.de/

and submit a tech-support question as to which version of CardWare will
work for you, as they told me they rolled MCA/Stinger support into the
entire product line.

If you do end up buying a copy of CardWare, you will need to buy it from
a US distributor such as:

http://www.drivertools.net/

The people are *very* nice to deal with at drivertools.net. I like them
a lot, very helpful. They even have a link for a 14 day trial version.
You could also email them your question as to Win 95 support. You might
simply just use CardWare for DOS.

Working with APSoft to get MCA support was a fun project.  I simply gave
them some driver code to find the adapter and then extract the POS data.
For their part, they invested less than 4 hours including testing.  A
good example as to what the newsgroup can accomplish if we work together.

exwisdem
0
David
8/16/2005 9:02:26 PM
Hello Tim,

> Tell me more, I see he's not on "the Stone" and obviously doesn't respect
> it, despite picking up info. from here ("not cricket, y'know... Very bad
> form, ol' boy"). I may try that on something I really want.

ps2cheese taught me to *not* place a "do not snipe" request into this
newsgroup, as he lurks here and then snipes. Happened one to many times
for me.

Thanks again for doing the KVM research. Using a KVM will make my driver
development efforts easier.

exwisdem
0
David
8/16/2005 9:05:53 PM
Hi William...

<wm_walsh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> 256MB in the 85 "X"? I thought it maxed out at 64...uh-oh, there's a
> new goal to acheive here. :-)
> <SNIP>
> Unfortunately the heatsink fell off and I pulled the chip to repair the
heatsink.

> Now I've misplaced the TurboChip and can't find it anywhere...

I've a NIB package if you're desperate.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/16/2005 9:51:56 PM
Hi William,
> 256MB in the 85 "X"? I thought it maxed out at 64...uh-oh,
> there's a new goal to achieve here. :-)
     As my memory serves, both the 'X' & 'K/N' planars liked the 16Mb EOS
SIMMs. Louis says 64Mb maximum, but I can't remember if I corrected him. The
'K/N' *is* listed for 256Mb maximum (me being confused is very possible
too).
     Probably the thing to do is to look at my 'X' tonight. The 32Mb EOS I
had disappeared quickly enough because the 'K/N' version & both types of
Server 320/520 liked it. For the 16Mb EOS I put it in the 320/520 if I
didn't have enough 32s, the Reply 70/80 planars like it, & lastly a few
converted for the L40SX using Peter's fix.

> Right now I'm running exclusively on the soldered SX...
     Certainly where the 'X' comes from (meaning a 486SX-33 CPU). Truly if
we drop in other CPUs it *would* modify the sub-model (if the higher level
CPU has a designated code). Wouldn't that be really confusing?
                    David
                    David@IBMMuseum.com

0
David
8/16/2005 10:13:49 PM
Hi Peter,
> ...since they once met for swapping parts.
     I had to read that last word a couple of times...
                    David
                    David@IBMMuseum.com

0
David
8/16/2005 10:36:32 PM
Hi!

> Good find, I bet you will enjoy it. I hope Guenter H. has gotten some
> good use out of his. I know I have enjoyed mine, but only due to the
> generosity of one our members.

If I can figure out something to do with it, I'm sure to enjoy it. :-)

Since it is supported under NT, I may just figure a way to pop it into a
Model 90 and use it there. I might have the perfect bezel for that if my box
of IBM tape bezels is still around...

> and submit a tech-support question as to which version of CardWare will
> work for you, as they told me they rolled MCA/Stinger support into the
> entire product line.

I did exactly that. Their Win9x product line bases itself on the
Microsoft-supplied PCMCIA support...I'm not sure that helps my situation.

The person who replied to me was certainly helpful and friendly, but they
said that Win95 was not really supported by current versions of their
software. They too suggested that I should try the DOS version for 16-bit
support. All this advice was given on the condition that there would be no
tech support for such a setup. That would be fine, but I have my doubts if
this will actually work.

Does the "Stinger" not emulate an Intel PCMCIA controller? (82365SL?) If so,
how much of a chore would it be to "help" the Intel driver for Win95
recognize a Stinger on the MCA bus?

Thanks for the information...I look forward to being able to get this
working somehow.

William

0
William
8/16/2005 10:53:00 PM
Hi!

> I've a NIB package if you're desperate.

I've got a soldered 486SX-33 that will hold me until the ones I bid on come
in. Then it is just a matter of deciding what I want to use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6792907047
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6793259473

William

0
William
8/16/2005 11:06:40 PM
"David L. Beem"  wrote:
> Hi Peter,
> > ...since they once met for swapping parts.
>      I had to read that last word a couple of times...
>                     David
>                     David@IBMMuseum.com

:-)

pete
8/16/2005 11:10:19 PM
Hello William,

> If I can figure out something to do with it, I'm sure to enjoy it. :-)

Wireless ethernet via the PCMCIA Adapter/A comes to mind, ;).
SCSI works fine...
Ethernet adapters work fine...
Sound?

> Since it is supported under NT, I may just figure a way to pop it into a
> Model 90 and use it there. I might have the perfect bezel for that if my box
> of IBM tape bezels is still around...

I used the tape bezel in my 9595 with the PCMCIA Adapter/A. I did need
to add 3 or 4 washers to each screw to raise the "drive" to the correct
height for the bezel.

<snip/>

> Does the "Stinger" not emulate an Intel PCMCIA controller? (82365SL?) If so,
> how much of a chore would it be to "help" the Intel driver for Win95
> recognize a Stinger on the MCA bus?

Well, I really do not remember the nuances of the Stinger vs the Intel
and VD468/9 chips, but I can say that the only thing APSoft needed to do
was find the base address and IRQ of the adapter, and the rest simply
worked. So, from that project, it does sound like the Win95 driver needs
the same modification, ie, the ability to find the adapter.  But,
finding the source to Win95's PCMCIS.sys driver ranks right up there
with IBM releasing the NT SSA.sys source to us, ;).

Just remember that the PCMCIA Adapter/A is *not* 32-bit capable, just
16-bit.

exwisdem
0
David
8/17/2005 12:48:07 AM
Hi David, William...

> Hello William,
>
> > If I can figure out something to do with it, I'm sure to enjoy it. :-)
>
> Wireless ethernet via the PCMCIA Adapter/A comes to mind, ;).
> SCSI works fine...
> Ethernet adapters work fine...
> Sound?

I do have one or two Fujitsu combination Audio+SCSI PCMCIA cards which
(after disabling the built-in Audio features) worked fine in my ThinkPad
760ED and Toshiba 4xx-series laptops. The only caveat being it doesn't
support an interrupt for SoundBlaster games support. Nice card (and I have
the portable SCSI CD-ROM that goes with these) which I found almost
impossible to sell, due to the man-in-the-street's lack of comprehension.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/17/2005 1:06:19 AM
> I do have one or two Fujitsu combination Audio+SCSI PCMCIA cards ...

Wow, a classic MultiMedia device: Sound and CD-ROM ;o)

Saski
--
Remove ".KEIN.ROASTBEEF" from my address to send mail
0
> What's with the "dproject" alias? Still not on "the Stone" though, so fair game too???
      I'd have to dig through my archived e-mail, because I've had at
least one eBay transaction with him (but as competitors other times).
Not anyone I remember *posting* here, but most probably lurking. Not on
the Stone.
                      David
                      David@IBMMuseum.com

0
IBMMuseum
8/17/2005 2:13:44 AM
Hi William,
>> 256MB in the 85 "X"? I thought it maxed out at 64...
>> uh-oh, there's a new goal to achieve here. :-)
> As my memory serves, both the 'X' & 'K/N' planars liked the
> 16Mb EOS SIMMs. Louis says 64Mb maximum, but I can't remember
> if I corrected him. The 'K/N' *is* listed for 256Mb maximum
> (me being confused is very possible too). Probably the thing
> to do is to look at my 'X' tonight...
     My 'X' is loaded with standard 8Mb parity SIMMs. So I am probably
confusing it with my 'K/N's. Sorry to get your hopes up.
                    David
                    David@IBMMuseum.com

0
IBMMuseum
8/17/2005 2:56:21 AM
Hi!

> Wireless ethernet via the PCMCIA Adapter/A comes to mind, ;).
> SCSI works fine...
> Ethernet adapters work fine...
> Sound?

Hmm...I *have* got a 10/100 Xircom PCMCIA adapter...I'd bet that it will
outperform that silly Olicom thing any day of the week.

(Even it is 100Mbit, that Olicom card is really an awful design. I
absolutely hated it...and to be honest, I don't know that it is here any
longer.)

There is also a Fujitsu (Eiger Labs relabeled) sound card built around an
ESS IC. I've never used that very much. But then again, I do have the 7-6
Ultimedia...and once upon a time it worked in a PS/2 Model 90. There is also
an Eiger-rebadged Fujitsu SCSI card...upon whose chipset it is based I have
no idea.

If I were still on dial up, a 56K modem might also go really nicely in
there.

As for Wi-Fi, I've been using the Linksys WGA-11B adapter...which is really
intended for, uhhhh, some gaming equipment, but it can be satisfactorily
misused to connect a wired 10/100bT Ethernet card in a PC, Mac or whatever.
At one point I was thinking of building it into my Model 85...possibly even
redoing the end of the Novell Ethernet card so that it looked absolutely
like it belonged there. Power could have come a 5 volt line off the PSU.
This is especially nice as the card has memory and can store detailed
settings for both my wireless networks. These can be selected later at the
push of a button. I can also directly pick any channel...and unlike a lot of
wireless cards, the link is up from power on.

Can you tell my selection of PCMCIA cards is not the best?

> I used the tape bezel in my 9595 with the PCMCIA Adapter/A. I did need
> to add 3 or 4 washers to each screw to raise the "drive" to the correct
> height for the bezel.

I have not only that bezel but also another more interesting one if memory
serves. It looks as though it would go in the lower right front bay of a
Model 90...where a second hard disk might go. The PCMCIA drive might need
some positioning magic to make that work, though.

> Well, I really do not remember the nuances of the Stinger vs the Intel
> and VD468/9 chips, but I can say that the only thing APSoft needed to do
> was find the base address and IRQ of the adapter, and the rest simply
> worked. So, from that project, it does sound like the Win95 driver needs
> the same modification, ie, the ability to find the adapter.  But,
> finding the source to Win95's PCMCIS.sys driver ranks right up there
> with IBM releasing the NT SSA.sys source to us, ;).

Hmmm...the adapter uses an interrupt? Which one? I didn't see one anywhere
and picked a configuration in device manager that didn't have one. Maybe
that's where I went wrong...

I was thinking and hoping that perhaps the answer could be found in a
Windows 95 device driver development kit or something like that. Maybe
Ryan's getting lucky with the 7-6 Ultimedia is the best that can be hoped
for...

> Just remember that the PCMCIA Adapter/A is *not* 32-bit capable, just
> 16-bit.

32-bit, as in Cardbus?

I've got that covered--up until very recently my primary computer was a
Compaq LTE 5000 with only PCMCIA slots.  Unlike some systems it would not
prohibit the insertion of CardBus cards. Seeing as PCMCIA cards are usually
5 volt and CardBus 3, I figured the result would be some smoke coming out of
something.

William

0
William
8/17/2005 2:58:40 AM
Hi David...

"IBMMuseum" <David@gilanet.com> wrote in message
> Hi Tim,
> > What's with the "dproject" alias? Still not on "the Stone" though, so
fair game too???
>       I'd have to dig through my archived e-mail, because I've had at
> least one eBay transaction with him (but as competitors other times).
> Not anyone I remember *posting* here, but most probably lurking. Not on
> the Stone.

Has a quick look, "dproject" is US-based and 5 years on eBay, "ps2cheese" is
Germany-based, so I don't think the one is an alias of the other.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/17/2005 3:17:04 AM
Hi Tim,
> Has a quick look, "dproject" is US-based and 5 years on eBay,
> "ps2cheese" is Germany-based, so I don't think the one is an
> alias of the other.
     No, they are different individuals...
                   David
                   David@IBMMuseum.com

0
IBMMuseum
8/17/2005 3:25:19 AM
Hi!

>      My 'X' is loaded with standard 8Mb parity SIMMs. So I am probably
> confusing it with my 'K/N's. Sorry to get your hopes up.

Just when I was about to empty my Greyghost and temporarily relocate all the
SIMMs over there. Maybe I will borrow them later on...so long as there is
only a low risk of stuffing the 85 "X" planar (where would I find another
9585 or a planar, for that matter?) I might just temporarily put them into
place.

I really can't complain though. My 9585-0XF was a "daily driver" up to the
day of the flood. It was and remains a rock-solid system. I'd have to say
that I like it a lot more than my 9595. (The 9595-0MT was impossible at
worst and troublesome at best. Its only real redeeming factor was the HP
ScanJet III attached to it. I hope to find another one someday...that was a
nice B&W scanner.) A friend of mine gave me a ScanJet 5 that I may well
attach to the 85. With the processor upgrade in place, the 9585 was more
than enough computer for many things.

William

0
William
8/17/2005 5:02:18 AM
Hi David,

> > "ps2cheese" is Germany-based

I guess, somehow related also to:

ps2cheese = ps2 + cheese = PS/2 + Switzerland

"I get the cheese you get the holes..." ??

0
UZnal
8/18/2005 7:19:17 PM
Hi Unal...

"UZnal" <unalz-at-mail333-dot-com> wrote in message
> Hi David,
>
> > > "ps2cheese" is Germany-based
>
> I guess, somehow related also to:
>
> ps2cheese = ps2 + cheese = PS/2 + Switzerland

Are you guessing, or do you know for a fact as eBay shows:

1 exact match and 0 close match for member: ps2cheese

 User ID   Member for   Location   About Me   Shops   Seller's Items

 Exact Match:
 ps2cheese ( 800)   2 years 4 months    Germany

If he/she is really Switzerland-based then perhaps a report to eBay might be
worthwhile. ;-D

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/18/2005 7:41:53 PM
I bet this ps2cheese guy is getting a kick out of all this attention!  :)
0
Daniel
8/18/2005 7:57:29 PM
His first name is Gerd.

"Daniel Hamilton" <daniel_nospam_@cavs.msstate.edu> schreef in bericht
> I bet this ps2cheese guy is getting a kick out of all this attention!  :)

0
George
8/18/2005 8:56:58 PM
George wrote:
> His first name is Gerd.

 From the posting of Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:54:14?

As long as he buys in USA, I have no problems *g* But I also think it
would be more useful if Louis or William get a piece of hardware and let
us (the PS/2 community) know interesting facts about it, that may help
solving problems, being traded to someone who needs it, and so on,
instead of being dumped into the collection of someone who doesn't even
try out the stuff ...

Saskia
--
Remove ".KEIN.ROASTBEEF" from my address to send mail
0
Saskia
8/18/2005 9:58:01 PM
George wrote:
> His first name is Gerd.
>

> "Daniel Hamilton" <daniel_nospam_@cavs.msstate.edu> schreef in bericht
>
>>I bet this ps2cheese guy is getting a kick out of all this attention!  :)

Now this has triggered a memory-- let's see--
To be more specific, after searching my email archive, his name is Gerd
Schweitzer.  Now that 2+2 has been put together in my mind, I can
provide a little bit of background on this fellow.  He is indeed German,
an older fellow.  He as a VERY VERY EXTENSIVE collection.  He told me he
had every PS/2 made except for the Japanese PS/55, and 300-400 adapters
in his collection.  He purchased 2 Type-0 complexes from me last year
off eBay. (Many may remember this-- $200 apiece).  Money helped nicely
with setting up a good server for the ps2supersite. :)  Bill Lindholm
set up that deal, he and Gerd are friends.  He held some RAM for me last
year I bought from an English fellow, and I had it shipped to him.  Bill
brough it back with him when he went to see him last year.  From my
contact with him, he seems like a very very nice fellow.  Of course he's
never snipped me before. :)  I guess he's just got a competitive edge to
his personality. :)

--Daniel
0
Daniel
8/18/2005 10:00:45 PM
Hi Daniel!

> Now this has triggered a memory-- let's see--
> To be more specific, after searching my email archive, his name is Gerd
> Schweitzer.  Now that 2+2 has been put together in my mind, I can
> provide a little bit of background on this fellow.  He is indeed German,
> an older fellow.  He as a VERY VERY EXTENSIVE collection.  He told me he
> had every PS/2 made except for the Japanese PS/55, and 300-400 adapters
> in his collection. ... From my
> contact with him, he seems like a very very nice fellow. ...

It is a real big pity that such a big collection collects dust somewhere
and doesn't help any active PS/2er (except financial *g*). It would be
cool and useful if he would make a website with his collection, provide
adapter pics and outlines, upload rare option disks, help us with our
problems, post in the group sometimes (if he's already lurking), and so
on. At least one of these things. I hope he reads and maybe answers to
this. Or someone tells him ...

Saskia
--
Remove ".KEIN.ROASTBEEF" from my address to send mail
0
Saskia
8/18/2005 10:24:04 PM

> I've noticed in times past that "dproject" can be quite aggressive
> too...that's another user ID to which I can't presently assign a name
> or NG member to. However, if "dproject" watches the group, I'm glad
> they didn't fight me for that PCMCIA adapter. That is very much
> appreciated.

He's over in the Binghamton, NY area.

Jim Hall
0
Jim
8/19/2005 1:34:00 AM
Jim Hall wrote:
> He's over in the Binghamton, NY area.

How about that... right in my "back yard", so to speak.  If you've got
a name to go with that location information, Jim, I'd like to know if
"dproject" is someone I know.

Rick Ekblaw

0
RickE
8/19/2005 2:20:14 AM
Saskia Bormann wrote:

> It is a real big pity that such a big collection collects dust somewhere
> and doesn't help any active PS/2er

I think you presume too much there Saskia.  You have no idea what Herr
Schweitzer does with his collection.  He owes you and me nothing.  If
his pockets are deep enough to ensure he gets what he wants on Ebay,
then good for him.  Keep your perspective.  This is an interesting hobby
and this group has had a cozy little arrangement with respect to "the
stone" that only marginally respects the "marketplace" provided for by
the owners of the Ebay service.
0
prodigal1
8/19/2005 4:05:35 AM
Hi "Prodigal One"...

"prodigal1" <prodig@l.com> wrote in message
> Saskia Bormann wrote:
>
> > It is a real big pity that such a big collection collects dust somewhere
> > and doesn't help any active PS/2er
>
> I think you presume too much there Saskia.  You have no idea what Herr
> Schweitzer does with his collection.  He owes you and me nothing.  If
> his pockets are deep enough to ensure he gets what he wants on Ebay,
> then good for him.  Keep your perspective.  This is an interesting hobby
> and this group has had a cozy little arrangement with respect to "the
> stone" that only marginally respects the "marketplace" provided for by
> the owners of the Ebay service.

Opinions differ, so I agree with that aspect of your comments.

On the other hand your comments on our "cosy little arrangement" only
"marginally respecting" eBay's "marketplace" deserve some riposte: Many of
us "old-timers" have a different view of what constitutes "fair trade",
"value for money" and related issues such as "gouging", "exploitation",
"responsibility", "accountability" etc. etc. you may, at your leisure, care
to differ. If you don't like the opinions of the majority of contributors,
you know what your options are.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/19/2005 4:35:33 AM
Saskia Bormann wrote:
> It is a real big pity that such a big collection collects dust somewhere
> and doesn't help any active PS/2er (except financial *g*). It would be
> cool and useful if he would make a website with his collection, provide
> adapter pics and outlines, upload rare option disks, help us with our
> problems, post in the group sometimes (if he's already lurking), and so
> on. At least one of these things. I hope he reads and maybe answers to
> this. Or someone tells him ...

Isn't Peter Wendt in Germany?  I wonder if he knows him, or if he could
make contact.  Peter you out there? :)

I can't speak for Gerd of course, but he didn't seem like a guy who
wouldn't want to contribute-- he seems passionate about this stuff
enough that he could want to.  He mentioned to me in one of our email
exchanges that he had gotten behind on his "cataloging" effort by a
couple of years-- perhaps he'd appreciate an offer of help.  Is anyone
*sure* he's lurking here?  Gerd you out there?

He also mentioned to me *completeness* when speaking of his adapter
cards-- it seems like he's shooting for having a complete set of
those...quite ambitious...somehow I don't doubt he's done it. :)  If has
anything near a complete set, then it would be very nice to scan those
at high-resolutions and put with ADF files...

--Daniel
0
Daniel
8/19/2005 4:58:56 AM
Gerd has some of my old PS/2 stuff and he paid to have itt shipped
from Florida.
It was saved from the landfill
0
gfretwell
8/19/2005 5:03:07 AM
Hi Greg...

<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote in message
> Gerd has some of my old PS/2 stuff and he paid to have itt shipped
> from Florida.
> It was saved from the landfill

Always to be desired, if at all possible. "Recycling" into a collection or
actual use is much better than giving something a "dust-nap".  ;-D

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/19/2005 5:19:31 AM
On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 05:19:31 GMT, "Tim Clarke"
<SpamBlock.Monetaim.Com@cswebmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Greg...
>
><gfretwell@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Gerd has some of my old PS/2 stuff and he paid to have itt shipped
>> from Florida.
>> It was saved from the landfill
>
>Always to be desired, if at all possible. "Recycling" into a collection or
>actual use is much better than giving something a "dust-nap".  ;-D

I threaten to throw stuff away all the time but I usually keep it
until I find a good home. I still have lots of stuff.
0
gfretwell
8/19/2005 6:03:38 AM

> >> Gerd has some of my old PS/2 stuff and he paid to have itt shipped
> >> from Florida.
> >> It was saved from the landfill
> >
> >Always to be desired, if at all possible. "Recycling" into a collection
or
> >actual use is much better than giving something a "dust-nap".  ;-D
>
> I threaten to throw stuff away all the time but I usually keep it
> until I find a good home. I still have lots of stuff.

"One of these days" I must take a whole load of pictures of the mountains of
kit that I've gathered (I'm a user/developer/investigator *not* a collector)
just to show people how MAD I am!

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/19/2005 6:13:12 AM
Hi Tim,

> > ps2cheese = ps2 + cheese = PS/2 + Switzerland
>
> Are you guessing, or do you know for a fact as eBay shows:

Only guessing, and missed by a "t", because "Schweizer" means "Swiss" in
German (Switzerland = Schweiz), hence "cheese" hints his surname.

If Gerd Schweitzer is indeed determined to complete the MCA adapter
collection resp. MCA at all, well, then let us help him. The PS/2 cheese is
still big enough for all of us, but I fear for not very long.

0
UZnal
8/19/2005 9:46:21 AM
RickE wrote:
> Jim Hall wrote:
>
>>He's over in the Binghamton, NY area.
>

> How about that... right in my "back yard", so to speak.  If you've got
> a name to go with that location information, Jim, I'd like to know if
> "dproject" is someone I know.
>
> Rick Ekblaw

Sorry Rick, I was looking for the very same info. DProject and I had
communicated in the past, by I've misplaced those e-mails due to a hard
drive failure and can't figure out where the backup's are. I've been
sniped more time then I care to remember by him on eBay, but that's free
enterprise for you. If I really want something I bid accordingly,
otherwise I just don't want to see it end in the trash.

BTW, here are you located? I'm in Selkirk and work in NYC and Albany.

Regards,
Jim Hall
0
Jim
8/19/2005 11:54:00 AM
Binghamton area isn't far from me either. I'm over in the Orange
County, NY, USA area. Binghamton is only a few hours drive from here.

0
newyork_techie
8/19/2005 11:54:45 AM
newyork_techie wrote:
> Binghamton area isn't far from me either. I'm over in the Orange
> County, NY, USA area. Binghamton is only a few hours drive from here.

Looks like we should set up a MCA NY/NJ meet one of these days. We'll
have to see if we can get TonyI up as well. At a minimum, we have Dan
the K, RickE, Ezoto, DProject, you and I. Anyone else?

Regards,
Jim Hall
0
Jim
8/19/2005 12:01:09 PM
prodigal1 wrote:
> I think you presume too much there Saskia.  You have no idea what Herr
> Schweitzer does with his collection.  He owes you and me nothing.  ...

Of course not. But he knows that here's a relatively large community
hanging around and he probably knows what people here are doing. So why
doesn't he contribute something? Someone wrote in another post that Gerd
keeps a list of his stuff. It would be great if he could simply upload
it somewhere. That could be done in no time. Instead it looks to us as
if he is just stockpiling everything he can get - regardless of any
casualties.

Think of an archeological expedition in Egypt. Louis, William, and the
others are digging for old egypt things that could help the ones
interested in this to understand the old egypt world. But everytime they
hear about a new finding of interesting material, someone who just wants
to have everything (I don't know) digs it out and puts it into his
storage room. He makes no photos, has obviously no interest in
investigation and blocks research. Of course nobody can command him to
do something, but if he already grabs the stuff so that anybody else has
absolutely no chance to get it, it would be just fair and expected that
he shares knowledge with us. Maybe if Louis bought something and
finished investigating it, he could sell it for original cost to Gerd,
or they could share the costs. I don't understand why he prefers paying
horrible prices for something that is definately not worth it. That
doesn't help nobody and is even disadvantageous for him. Someone even
mentioned that he would have sent Gerd the thing for free, which he has
just bought on Ebay for a huge sum.

Saskia
--
Remove ".KEIN.ROASTBEEF" from my address to send mail
0
Saskia
8/19/2005 12:08:32 PM
Tim Clarke wrote:

> Opinions differ, so I agree with that aspect of your comments.
>
> On the other hand your comments on our "cosy little arrangement" only
> "marginally respecting" eBay's "marketplace" deserve some riposte: Many of
> us "old-timers" have a different view of what constitutes "fair trade",
> "value for money" and related issues such as "gouging", "exploitation",
> "responsibility", "accountability" etc. etc. you may, at your leisure, care
> to differ.

Naturally I wouldn't want to be gouged, traded with unfairly, exploited,
etc..etc... but it does seem to me that in order to avoid these nasty
circumstances, one can simply refrain from bidding.  I have the
impression "the stone" works to interfere with the natural conditions of
an auction by having a group of interested potential bidders all
agreeing to keep the bidding restrained, to their mutual benefit, but
this has all been discussed before.  And while I'm not listed on the
stone, I have respected its members efforts to acquire gear --for the
most part-- several years ago, I did engage in a scorched earth policy
in my lust for ram for my 9595's, but I digress.  I just think we should
let ps2cheese do his thing in peace and maybe even assist him, and our
own bank balances by listing all sorts of MCA stuff.

> If you don't like the opinions of the majority of contributors,
> you know what your options are.

Is that "love it or leave it"?  You're starting to sound like a
cold-beer swiller.

cheers
0
prodigal1
8/19/2005 2:46:09 PM
Hi Daniel !

> Isn't Peter Wendt in Germany?  I wonder if he knows him, or if he could
> make contact.  Peter you out there? :)

I made my comments earlier in the thread.

Gerd contacted me, if he (and Bill Lindholm IIRC) could visit me at one
point, but by various reasons we could not meet due to some scheduling
problems - mostly from my side, since *I* have a fulltime job and "other
daily difficulties" to deal with in first place.

Haven't heared from him since then unfortunately.

--
Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

*** Reply to: peterwendt@aol.com only ! ***
0
Peter
8/19/2005 3:35:04 PM
Hi Tim !

> "One of these days" I must take a whole load of pictures of the mountains of
> kit that I've gathered (I'm a user/developer/investigator *not* a collector)
> just to show people how MAD I am!

Yes - Yes ! - Yes !!

Please do it.
Then I promise to take pictures from my storage in the basement of the
other house I usually wouldn't want to show to anybody.

And *maybe* I'll do an update on my pages then as well. :-D

--
Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

*** Reply to: peterwendt@aol.com only ! ***
0
Peter
8/19/2005 3:38:08 PM
>snip<
> Think of an archeological expedition in Egypt. Louis, William, and the
> others are digging for old egypt things that could help the ones
> interested in this to understand the old egypt world. But everytime they
> hear about a new finding of interesting material, someone who just wants
> to have everything (I don't know) digs it out and puts it into his
> storage room. He makes no photos, has obviously no interest in
> investigation and blocks research. Of course nobody can command him to
> do something, but if he already grabs the stuff so that anybody else has
> absolutely no chance to get it, it would be just fair and expected that
> he shares knowledge with us.

<snip>

Kinda like what William Randolf Hearst was doing (pre MCA, of course ;P)
0
Jim
8/19/2005 8:09:22 PM
Hi!

I think that's well said, Saskia. Generally speaking I buy and obtain
what I have a use for. (If it comes down to a choice between "the bin"
and myself, I'll go for it.) But in the interest of not being selfish,
I try to put out whatever I know. If I've got an original manual or
option diskette that someone, somewhere might give anything to have
then I'll try to get it out there for the taking.

I don't dislike this "ps2cheese" individual, but his behavior is
puzzling at the very least. I can understand wanting to build up a
collection. At least a few group members here have collections of
equipment and some of them are complete. However, those who do have
such a collection have returned a lot of information to the PS/2
community at large--especially people like Louis and possibly Peter.

William

0
wm_walsh
8/20/2005 2:50:23 PM
There are well more than those two and Peter has been an outstanding
source for me when I was very heavy into the PS2's especially from his
working with IBM during that era. Don't foget a lot of others like
David, Tim, etc and a few dozen others - some aren't even showing up
anymore. Actually even somone asking a question is really contributing
- they light the fire for a thread of answers.

On 20 Aug 2005 07:50:23 -0700, wm_walsh@hotmail.com wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I think that's well said, Saskia. Generally speaking I buy and obtain
>what I have a use for. (If it comes down to a choice between "the bin"
>and myself, I'll go for it.) But in the interest of not being selfish,
>I try to put out whatever I know. If I've got an original manual or
>option diskette that someone, somewhere might give anything to have
>then I'll try to get it out there for the taking.
>
>I don't dislike this "ps2cheese" individual, but his behavior is
>puzzling at the very least. I can understand wanting to build up a
>collection. At least a few group members here have collections of
>equipment and some of them are complete. However, those who do have
>such a collection have returned a lot of information to the PS/2
>community at large--especially people like Louis and possibly Peter.
>
>William

0
Russ
8/20/2005 2:58:24 PM
Hi!

> There are well more than those two

Standard disclaimer time, I guess. :-)

I'm not psychic or all knowing. I haven't seen the very most of group
members' collections and only know of two complete collections. Making
a complete list would have been difficult and only improves my chances
of missing someone and making them feel left out. So...if you're not
listed here, please don't feel offended or left out. I haven't left you
out on purpose or out of malice. I simply picked names that are
unquestionably well known to all group members, even relatively new
ones.

There, that should now be complete. :-)

William

0
wm_walsh
8/20/2005 3:33:44 PM
On 20 Aug 2005 07:50:23 -0700, wm_walsh@hotmail.com wrote:

>I don't dislike this "ps2cheese" individual, but his behavior is
>puzzling at the very least.

He took stuff off my hands that I couldn't give away here so I think
you folks have to lighten up.
0
gfretwell
8/20/2005 4:43:57 PM

> On 20 Aug 2005 07:50:23 -0700, wm_walsh@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >I don't dislike this "ps2cheese" individual, but his behavior is
> >puzzling at the very least.
>
> He took stuff off my hands that I couldn't give away here so I think
> you folks have to lighten up.

It seems that various people have had widely different experiences of and/or
reactions to his eBay strategy. I'm interested to make contact and decide
for myself. But it seems more like "musings and whinings" (would you like a
little "whine" to go with that "ps2cheese"?) than any real rancour. Not
meaning to offend anyone, of course, just *my* musings.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/20/2005 5:01:30 PM
HI William !

> I don't dislike this "ps2cheese" individual, but his behavior is
> puzzling at the very least. I can understand wanting to build up a
> collection. At least a few group members here have collections of
> equipment and some of them are complete. However, those who do have
> such a collection have returned a lot of information to the PS/2
> community at large--especially people like Louis and possibly Peter.

About collections & OT: there is this book "Sleeping Beauties" by the
photographer Hesselmann about a guy in France that hoarded several
dozens of rare antique cars on his property. Among them a dozen
Bugattis. Then he lost control and / or interest and let the nature take
over. The photos are outstanding, fascinating and disturbing as well.
I understand very well how it comes to that. It often starts with the
"packrat bit" and collecting because of the hunting down and collecting
for its sole purpose. Unfortunately a lot stuff disappears that way from
out of view since the focus is on collecting rather than presentation.

About collectors: Don't forget Alfred Arnolds collection.
We once joked that he could use his 95 and 85 machines to build up a
lower-scale "Stonehenge" in the backyard ... with probably a few 60, 65
or 80 machines for the upper row ....

But he also returns informations and bits of knowledge to the community,
even if he cannot make a publicly accessible presentation - as well as I
cannto do that. We have our webpages instead to give a glimpse of it and
that's better than nothing.

--
Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

*** Reply to: peterwendt@aol.com only ! ***
0
Peter
8/20/2005 6:00:41 PM
Hi Peter and Tim!

> > "One of these days" I must take a whole load of pictures of the
mountains of
> > kit that I've gathered (I'm a user/developer/investigator *not* a
collector)
> > just to show people how MAD I am!
>
> Yes - Yes ! - Yes !!
>
> Please do it.

There's something here: http://www.walshcomptech.com/mcapbook/t-clarke.htm
in the long forgotten picturebook.

Seeing as there some new posters here, this message would also be a shout
out to anyone interested to send me their information, pictures or both.

William

0
William
8/20/2005 6:30:26 PM
Hi William...

"William R. Walsh" <newgroups1@nojunquemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
message news:6FKNe.51911$084.1449@attbi_s22...
> Hi Peter and Tim!
>
> > > "One of these days" I must take a whole load of pictures of the
> mountains of
> > > kit that I've gathered (I'm a user/developer/investigator *not* a
> collector)
> > > just to show people how MAD I am!
> >
> > Yes - Yes ! - Yes !!
> >
> > Please do it.
>
> There's something here: http://www.walshcomptech.com/mcapbook/t-clarke.htm
> in the long forgotten picturebook.
>
> Seeing as there some new posters here, this message would also be a shout
> out to anyone interested to send me their information, pictures or both.

That's a "blast from the past". I still have most of that kit, plus *many*
additions both in terms of systems and adapters and that doesn't include the
"parts bin" - lots of PS/2 SIMMs in the 2-8MB range (some irreplaceable ones
with *switches* for the "presence detect" pins!!!) lots of 9576/9577 Lacuna
L2 cache modules, lots of 32-bit memory adapters, lots of Tribbles, Spocks,
Patriots (let's not talk about Token-Ring adapters) Ethernet adapters
(mainly 3C529s for those who're looking) lots of XGA/2s (I junked the
CornerStones that some may remember). Oh and there's a *lot* of "obsolete"
SCSI CD-ROM drives - Toshiba, IBM-badged too, Plextor, Pioneer and maybe
Panasonic.

I've said this before, if you're looking, drop me an e-mail - I may have
whatever it is you want.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim

>About collectors: Don't forget Alfred Arnolds collection.
>We once joked that he could use his 95 and 85 machines to build up a
>lower-scale "Stonehenge" in the backyard ... with probably a few 60, 65
>or 80 machines for the upper row ....

My theory is that once you reach a certain 'critical mass', you don't
search the machines any more, they start searching for you.  Had it more
than once that I came into our computer club in the evening and a PS/2 had
materialized at my place...that's why you will rarely see me bidding on
Ebay.  Most of the Microchannel stuff I see on Ebay these days is
'standard stuff' I already have enough of, or it is simply too expensive
for my taste.  I like the Microchannel, but a high two-figure price for a
rare card just to complete a collection is not my cup of tea...just wait,
and sooner or later a better chance will show up...acquired 3 or 4 Model
90 at our local junkyard over the past months, and its prices are hard
to beat 8-)

Regarding Stonehenge: Saw a documentary about the ancient romans, and what
they built.  There are those nice water pipes ('Aquaedukte'), sometimes
even with two or three stacked levels of bows.  Might be a nice project
either.

And just like Peter, the Microchannel is not the only thing I have a soft
spot for...

Best regards

Alfred

P.S.: @Peter: rescued two EL156 last thursday.  Still thinking what to do
      with them...

--
Alfred Arnold                   E-Mail: alfred@ccac.rwth-aachen.de
Computer Club at the            http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/alf/

0
Alfred
8/21/2005 5:38:58 PM
> his behavior is puzzling at the very least.

Not at all, he might open a PS/2 museum or write a book or decorate his
house
or sell it or whatever else to his very own appreciation, just like the rest
of us.

More puzzling is what will happen with our small, fragmentary collections -
too small to be much useful. Seriously, I went deep thoughts about it and
decided to keep only selected machines. So, some months ago I took away the
inner organs of Mod. 60, 65 and 80 and trashed the cases. From the 386s I
keep a Mod. 70 and 80-Axx, a desktop and tower, next comes the rare Mod.
70-R21, Mod. 57 is the 16-bit item and Mod. 77 as a top 486 machine, all
these presided over by a Mod. 95 with a faulty-FPU P60 complex. Then I put
aside one Siemens/ALR EISA and one DEC VL machine. The rest is PC330, two
Netfinity 5000, and 1-2 Compaq, all Pentium class machines, and this is
clearly again too much. Next cleanup will reduce these as well, and I did
not yet look at the adapters, planars, drives, memory modules etc. Perhaps I
succeeded more in collecting the printed memorabilia, like almost all PS/2
prospects, price lists and various articles like OS/2 mouse pads, bags,
software and I don't know what else and why at all...

0
UZnal
8/21/2005 5:49:12 PM
Hi Alfred !

> My theory is that once you reach a certain 'critical mass', you don't
> search the machines any more, they start searching for you.

Then you easily end up in a "critical mess" ... :-D

> Regarding Stonehenge: Saw a documentary about the ancient romans, and what
> they built.  There are those nice water pipes ('Aquaedukte'), sometimes
> even with two or three stacked levels of bows.  Might be a nice project
> either.

Hehehe !
"Kids: Don't try that at home."
Or at least not on a hot sunny day if you have to move the computers on
anything other than even level. Even one flight down could be a killer.

> And just like Peter, the Microchannel is not the only thing I have a soft
> spot for...

Yeah. Funny eh ?

> P.S.: @Peter: rescued two EL156 last thursday.  Still thinking what to do
>       with them...

Wow !
IIRC they require special sockets ... ?
In single-ended you could do a nice 2 x 15W from them @ 380V anode
voltage. There are some diagrams out in the scene.

--
Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

*** Reply to: peterwendt@aol.com only ! ***
0
Peter

>Wow !
>IIRC they require special sockets ... ?

Fortunately the sockets were still attached to the tubes - plus some
remainders of the original circuitry...the guys at the junkyard over
here are known to be very radical when they disassemble things.  I guess
you have to be like that if you want to do this job, or you wouldn't get
done anything ('Wow - look at this' - 'Wait'...)

>In single-ended you could do a nice 2 x 15W from them @ 380V anode
>voltage. There are some diagrams out in the scene.

Did already some research on Jogi's page.  Seems the hardest part is
getting hold of the proper transformers.

Best regards

Alfred

--
Alfred Arnold                   E-Mail: alfred@ccac.rwth-aachen.de
Computer Club at the            http://john.ccac.rwth-aachen.de:8000/alf/
Technical University            Phone: +49-241-406526
of Aachen                       Fax:   +49-241-406527

0
Alfred
8/22/2005 6:55:03 AM
Hi Alfred !

>>Wow !
>>IIRC they require special sockets ... ?
>

> Fortunately the sockets were still attached to the tubes - plus some
> remainders of the original circuitry...the guys at the junkyard over

Lucky you.
I once had a single sample but I traded it. Must have been in 1983 or so.

> here are known to be very radical when they disassemble things.  I guess
> you have to be like that if you want to do this job, or you wouldn't get
> done anything ('Wow - look at this' - 'Wait'...)

I think I were the totally wrong guy in the wrong spot.
I would need a small truck ... and way more storage. :-)

>>In single-ended you could do a nice 2 x 15W from them @ 380V anode
>>voltage. There are some diagrams out in the scene.
>

> Did already some research on Jogi's page.  Seems the hardest part is
> getting hold of the proper transformers.

One needs to be creative.
My 2 x 12W SRPP with the PCL805's started with 4 x 12V / 5A "cubes" tied
together in a very interesting way to get out + / - 300V (supply), 2 x
17V DC (heaters - need to be kept separate) and -40V (negative grid
bias). When the debugging was over I ordered a custom-made transformer
at Gerd Reinh�fer :-)

Now the amp resides in a crapped-out Kenwood KA-3500 chassis.
Kept the MM-praamp, input selector, and volume / tone controls though.
So it is a Hybrid in a way.

--
Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

*** Reply to: peterwendt@aol.com only ! ***
0
Peter
8/22/2005 11:39:39 AM
Tim!

Tim Clarke wrote:
> with *switches* for the "presence detect" pins!!!) lots of 9576/9577 Lacuna
> L2 cache modules, lots of 32-bit memory adapters, lots of Tribbles, Spocks,

I'm fooling around with a ValuePoint 6482.  David Beem tells me that it
takes L2 cache like a Lacuna.  I'm missing the words to properly
identify this, but it takes 8 "chips" :).  Does this sound like Lacuna
L2 cache?  If so, what'd you take for a set?

Thanks!
--Daniel
0
Daniel
8/22/2005 1:11:54 PM
Daniel Hamilton wrote:
> I'm fooling around with a ValuePoint 6482.  David Beem tells me that it
> takes L2 cache like a Lacuna.  I'm missing the words to properly
> identify this, but it takes 8 "chips" :).  Does this sound like Lacuna
> L2 cache?  If so, what'd you take for a set?

Daniel, assuming that you already have the 2 cache TAG modules already
installed on your motherboard (I *think* that come preinstalled on the
6482, but I'm not sure), you need 4 32Kx8 15ns SOJ modules to get to
128KB of cache, or 8 32Kx8 15ns SOJ modules to get to 256MB of cache.
A suitable module would be the Toshiba TC55V328AJ-15 (28 "pins", 14 on
a side -- check your motherboard sockets to make sure).  I happen to
have 8 of these on hand, and I promise to charge less than the $5 per
module that most of the "scrapmeisters" on the Internet show as the
"standard" asking price.  Send an e-mail to ekblaw (at) juno (dot) com
if you are interested.

Rick Ekblaw

0
RickE
8/23/2005 2:04:36 AM
Hold the fort, Daniel -- I just found another reference that hints that
the Valuepoint 64xx motherboards have DIP sockets, not SOJ like the
PC330, PC350 486 models, PC730 and PC750.  If your motherboard has DIP
sockets, I can probably scare up the appropriate cache modules, but I
need to dig into my *older* stock of vintage 80486 and early Pentium
motherboards to find some.  Check your motherboard, and if it has DIP
sockets, let me know if they are 24-pin or 28-pin so I know which
flavor of DIP cache modules to look for.

Rick Ekblaw

0
RickE
8/23/2005 2:23:57 AM
Hi Rick & Daniel,
>> David Beem tells me that it takes L2 cache like a Lacuna.
>> I'm missing the words to properly identify this, but it takes
>> 8 "chips" :).  Does this sound like Lacuna L2 cache?
     Sorry, bad memory ("tag RAM"?). Finally laid my hands on my IBM
Pocket Reference that shows this planar as the "64XX System Board"
(page 116). Different from the "6384-P60 System Board" on the preceding
page, able to host a Socket 4 P60 or P66 (and not the VL-bus sort of
riser).
      By the diagram it is DIP cache, the very long socket (28 pin?) if
to scale. Switchable between 128Kb & 256Kb, the jumper settings Peter
said. Jumper setting for PCI/VLB like he said too. But not able to host
a P60/P66 (there is a VRM connector for a "3VAC [sic] DX4 Regulator"
that may be identical to the Lacuna type), only for a 486 (Socket 3?).
     Rick, I am looking for some SOJ cache, but the 32 pin (16 to a
side) 1Mb chips. I have a "PC 730/750 System Board" with 256Kb chips
like you are talking about ("Alliance" brand) in there right now (28
pins, low in the 1Mb socket). From another identical planar I can pull
the second tag RAM chip I think.
                             David
                             David@IBMMuseum.com

0
IBMMuseum
8/23/2005 2:56:54 AM
David!

IBMMuseum wrote:
>      Rick, I am looking for some SOJ cache, but the 32 pin (16 to a
> side) 1Mb chips. I have a "PC 730/750 System Board" with 256Kb chips
> like you are talking about ("Alliance" brand) in there right now (28
> pins, low in the 1Mb socket). From another identical planar I can pull
> the second tag RAM chip I think.

First, I'd like to apologize for apparently misposting to the wrong
thread ealier!

Is a tag RAM chip you can part with, or is this one you'd be using for
your 750?  The tag RAM chips are the ones I'm missing now.  :\  It's
always something right?

Btw, a PODPR63 works in this board-- although I can't write to drive A:
(can read fine)...when it's installed.  I can write to the 5.25 B: all
day long...nothing else acted up either.  I've got a 486/DX50 in there
right now-- running like a top.  Thought of trying a "DX4-100" overdrive
in it-- It's already 5V and I shouldn't need a VRM for it?  Someone know
better-- am I misguided?

--Daniel
0
Daniel
8/23/2005 5:12:28 AM

> Hi Rick & Daniel,
> >> David Beem tells me that it takes L2 cache like a Lacuna.
> >> I'm missing the words to properly identify this, but it takes
> >> 8 "chips" :).  Does this sound like Lacuna L2 cache?
>      Sorry, bad memory ("tag RAM"?). Finally laid my hands on my IBM
> Pocket Reference that shows this planar as the "64XX System Board"
> (page 116). Different from the "6384-P60 System Board" on the preceding
> page, able to host a Socket 4 P60 or P66 (and not the VL-bus sort of
> riser).
>       By the diagram it is DIP cache, the very long socket (28 pin?) if
> to scale. Switchable between 128Kb & 256Kb, the jumper settings Peter
> said. Jumper setting for PCI/VLB like he said too. But not able to host
> a P60/P66 (there is a VRM connector for a "3VAC [sic] DX4 Regulator"
> that may be identical to the Lacuna type), only for a 486 (Socket 3?).
>      Rick, I am looking for some SOJ cache, but the 32 pin (16 to a
> side) 1Mb chips. I have a "PC 730/750 System Board" with 256Kb chips
> like you are talking about ("Alliance" brand) in there right now (28
> pins, low in the 1Mb socket). From another identical planar I can pull
> the second tag RAM chip I think.

Send me/show me pic.s and I'll look at my Lacuna spares etc. (VRMs, 128KB L2
cache modules and some clone DIP cache chips).
--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/23/2005 10:02:12 AM

> David!
>
> IBMMuseum wrote:
> >      Rick, I am looking for some SOJ cache, but the 32 pin (16 to a
> > side) 1Mb chips. I have a "PC 730/750 System Board" with 256Kb chips
> > like you are talking about ("Alliance" brand) in there right now (28
> > pins, low in the 1Mb socket). From another identical planar I can pull
> > the second tag RAM chip I think.
>
> First, I'd like to apologize for apparently misposting to the wrong
> thread ealier!
>
> Is a tag RAM chip you can part with, or is this one you'd be using for
> your 750?  The tag RAM chips are the ones I'm missing now.  :\  It's
> always something right?
>
> Btw, a PODPR63 works in this board-- although I can't write to drive A:
> (can read fine)...when it's installed.  I can write to the 5.25 B: all
> day long...nothing else acted up either.  I've got a 486/DX50 in there
> right now-- running like a top.  Thought of trying a "DX4-100" overdrive
> in it-- It's already 5V and I shouldn't need a VRM for it?  Someone know
> better-- am I misguided?

Nope, if a 2x CPU/ODPR works the a 3x ODPR will too. "May the Force be with
you"!

P.S. see my reply to David (IBMMuseum) re cache chips.
--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/23/2005 10:02:12 AM
Tim Clarke wrote:
> Send me/show me pic.s and I'll look at my Lacuna spares etc. (VRMs, 128KB L2
> cache modules and some clone DIP cache chips).

Tim,

ftp://ps2supersite.homedns.org/outgoing/exhibit-a.jpg
ftp://ps2supersite.homedns.org/outgoing/exhibit-b.jpg

Thanks again for helping,
--Daniel
0
Daniel
8/23/2005 12:44:26 PM
Hi Tim,
> ...Nope, if a 2x CPU/ODPR works the a 3x ODPR will too....
     Qualifying that to say the 'R' means 'replacement', a stock upgrade
using the same voltage (look for 486DX4 with tall integrated heatsinks
Daniel). Most plain ceramic Intel DX4 require the user (or OEM) to add their
own heatsink & are usually 3 volt. My chart at
www.gilanet.com/David/Intel486.htm should tell what voltage it runs (CPUIDs
0480h, 0490h, 1480h).
                          David
                          David@IBMMuseum.com

0
David
8/23/2005 2:27:36 PM
Hi Daniel,
> ftp://ps2supersite.homedns.org/outgoing/exhibit-a.jpg
     Link is 404-compliant.

> ftp://ps2supersite.homedns.org/outgoing/exhibit-b.jpg
     In case "exhibit A" is lost in the evidence room, the VRM is next to
the CPU (no duh Dave!). Doesn't appear to be the same as the Lacuna (which
for the 5v CPUs just has common jumpers placed over some pins). Might be
lucky enough that it is close to the VRM for other models (let me look).
     The cache chips are definately DIP. One tag RAM socket is close to the
VLB socket. Many, many clone mobo had cache like this, so it is highly
likely you can find what you need.
                 David
                 David@IBMMuseum.com

0
David
8/23/2005 2:59:02 PM
David L. Beem wrote:
>>ftp://ps2supersite.homedns.org/outgoing/exhibit-a.jpg
>
>      Link is 404-compliant.
>

>>ftp://ps2supersite.homedns.org/outgoing/exhibit-b.jpg
>
>      In case "exhibit A" is lost in the evidence room, the VRM is next to

These links won't open staight into IE.  They will in Firefox.
Apparently IE does this as a "security measure"  if you don't believe
me, put the path in the address bar, remove the filename, and press
enter.  The folder will show up.  Then you'll see the file-- it's there.
  Double click on the file this time, and it will come up in a separate
window! IE is a joke!

--Daniel
0
Daniel
8/23/2005 5:54:32 PM
> These links won't open staight into IE.

Cheese .... I just opened "exhibit-b" in IE after it refused to open
"exhibit-a".

As David B. already suggested, these cache modules were common on 486
boards. I had them on a Dell mainboard which I trashed a month or two ago.
It had also the VRAM modules you might be needing too.

One could populate the two VLB slots with an AHA-2842 for SCSI-2 and some
nice video card like ATI GUP or Diamond Viper, but you have already an
on-board video. Does the board have only a single VLB slot?

For more on cache modules, see the thread "486 Cache Modules" started May
20, 2002, check there the postings of Tim Clarke (before he became WBST?).

0
UZnal
8/23/2005 6:49:34 PM
Hi Daniel,
> These links won't open straight into IE. They will in Firefox.
> Apparently IE does this as a "security measure" if you don't
> believe me, put the path in the address bar, remove the
> filename, and press enter. The folder will show up. Then
> you'll see the file-- it's there. Double click on the file this
> time, and it will come up in a separate window! IE is a joke!
     With IE I was able to pull up the second link fine. If I "Login As.."
anonymously to your FTP service from the File menu there is no problem, but
yes, IE default behavior is to load another window for HTTP content. Can I
get a closer photo of the VRM (or the board that is there?) & socket please?
I think the header is just a simple jumpering device for the 5V CPUs.
                    David
                    David@IBMMuseum.com

0
David
8/23/2005 6:59:54 PM
Hi Unal,
>> These links won't open straight into IE.
> Cheese .... I just opened "exhibit-b" in IE after it refused to
> open "exhibit-a".
     Yes, I had this behavior too. Even when I clicked on the file in the
directory. Just because IE behavior is different from Firefox (which I also
run) it's no reason to start blaming it.

> As David B. already suggested, these cache modules were common on
> 486 boards. I had them on a Dell mainboard which I trashed a month
> or two ago. It had also the VRAM modules you might be needing too.
     I remember I have a VRM module around that might fit. IBM went with the
stock components with the VP series (PSUs, drives, RAM, cache), but still
tagged them with FRUs. An ISA-only version I have is DIP cache, but Type 1 &
Type 2 (ISA with 1x VLB) use COASt modules.

> One could populate the two VLB slots with an AHA-2842 for SCSI-2
> and some nice video card like ATI GUP or Diamond Viper, but you
> have already an on-board video. Does the board have only a single
> VLB slot?
     Only one VLB slot for both the 3x3 & 5x5 risers. Pretty sure the "Mini
Tower" riser (which is parallel to the planar) only has one VLB slot too
(I'm putting a 63xx tower back together at home that has a single VLB slot).
It may have onboard video (S3 Trio64 typically, with 1Mb of VRAM, usually
able to optionally double that) as "local bus", but probably not for the IDE
drives (still limited to 528Mb or below?).
                       David
                       David@IBMMuseum.com

0
David
8/23/2005 7:28:23 PM
Hi Daniel,
> First, I'd like to apologize for apparently misposting to the wrong
> thread ealier!
     I'm keeping up. The reason I post from Google Groups is that I can
see what is going on a little better. My regular newsfeed misses some
posts for a little time & I can't get a new account on one system for
some reason (time to talk to the upstream administrator that runs it).
     We might also get more organized (with many active posts to
watch). For instance in my last post to William on the 8580 planar
thread, I solely talk of the IBM "Silvercap" 386DX CPUs. I would want
to put it as a topic of itself, so those interested in the revised
subject line would see it if they are skipping over the old thread.

> Is a tag RAM chip you can part with, or is this one you'd be using
> for your 750?  The tag RAM chips are the ones I'm missing now...
     The cache chips on the PC730/750 planar I have are SOJ, a
different chip factor. Better sources are old 486 & 386DX clone
motherboards. The chips can really vary on brands & markings, so ask if
you have questions (you will want 12 or 15nS rather than 25nS for
instance).

> -- although I can't write to drive (can read fine)...when it's installed.
> can write to the 5.25 B: all day long...nothing else acted up either...
     You might try changing the position of the "write protect" jumper
next to the floppy connection on the planar. It's function is to do
exactly that. If not, swap your A: drive, as the write protect circuit
isn't working in that case.

> ...a PODPR63 works in this board. I've got a 486/DX50 in there right
> now-- running like a top. Thought of trying a "DX4-100" overdrive in it
> -- It's already 5V and I shouldn't need a VRM for it? Someone know
> better-- am I misguided?
     As addressed earlier, generally the DX4 "Overdrives" with an
integrated heatsink are 5V CPUs. Regular DX4 (ceramic, with an
aftermarket heatsink/fan) are usually 3V (marked on the top). If in
doubt, look over my 486 page for the S-spec & it will tell you. The
PODs are 5V, although you should look at what the base frequency of the
planar is (25MHz for a POD63, 33MHz for a POD83; the base clock is
multiplied 2.5x).
                                 David
                                 David@IBMMuseum.com

0
IBMMuseum
8/24/2005 3:23:17 AM
Hi David,

> Just because IE behavior is different from Firefox (which I also
> run) it's no reason to start blaming it.

Definitely not a reason. IE6 is fine and does a good job, I do not complain.

> IDE drives (still limited to 528Mb or below?).

The book (7th Ed., 1994) lists only VP 638x models, all ISA, up to Pentium
60. The highest numbered model, 6384-199 has a 527M disk, if that is a clue?

0
UZnal
8/24/2005 10:43:27 AM
David L. Beem wrote:
> Hi Unal,
>
>>>These links won't open straight into IE.
>>
>>Cheese .... I just opened "exhibit-b" in IE after it refused to
>>open "exhibit-a".
>
>      Yes, I had this behavior too. Even when I clicked on the file in the
> directory. Just because IE behavior is different from Firefox (which I also
> run) it's no reason to start blaming it.

Yeah IE does some things Firefox won't and vice-versa...although Firefox
is getting better and better...

>      I remember I have a VRM module around that might fit. IBM went with the
> stock components with the VP series (PSUs, drives, RAM, cache), but still
> tagged them with FRUs. An ISA-only version I have is DIP cache, but Type 1 &
> Type 2 (ISA with 1x VLB) use COASt modules.

That would be really nice if I could get a VRM from someone, then I
could put a DX4-100 chip in it.  Although, I've seen that I could put a
AMD 5x86-133 or something like that in it--which is 5V?.  Aren't some
people here running these in 8595s?  I've run a PODPR63 in it, but it
totally stones the floppy controller.

> It may have onboard video (S3 Trio64 typically, with 1Mb of VRAM, usually
> able to optionally double that) as "local bus", but probably not for the IDE
> drives (still limited to 528Mb or below?).

My 6482 has the Vision864 with 1MB VRAM-- upgradable to 2MB.  It'd be
cool to locate some of those too.  Guess I should have just found a
board with all this in it heh?  But then it wouldn't have been as much
fun. :)  This thing will take LARGE disks with the latest BIOS (81A).  I
have a 2.5GB WD in it right now, and it works great.

--Daniel
0
Daniel
8/24/2005 12:16:01 PM
IBMMuseum wrote:

>>-- although I can't write to drive (can read fine)...when it's installed.
>>can write to the 5.25 B: all day long...nothing else acted up either...
>
>      You might try changing the position of the "write protect" jumper
> next to the floppy connection on the planar. It's function is to do
> exactly that. If not, swap your A: drive, as the write protect circuit
> isn't working in that case.

Well, the A: works fine with any other processor I put in it, it's like
a timing issue or something with the overdrive.  I wonder if it's
because of the 2.5x multipler?  This overdrive wasn't very reliable in a
DX2-50 that I had it in earlier either.  My faith in overdrives aren't
that hey because of that-- but I don't have that much experience with
*different* chips.  Maybe mine is just flaky?

>      As addressed earlier, generally the DX4 "Overdrives" with an
> integrated heatsink are 5V CPUs. Regular DX4 (ceramic, with an
> aftermarket heatsink/fan) are usually 3V (marked on the top). If in
> doubt, look over my 486 page for the S-spec & it will tell you. The
> PODs are 5V, although you should look at what the base frequency of the
> planar is (25MHz for a POD63, 33MHz for a POD83; the base clock is
> multiplied 2.5x).

Yeah it'd be nice to put a 3V DX4-100 in there, but I don't have a
VRM...although I would be interested in aquiring one.  The DX4-100
should be the samething except it'd have a VRM built into the chip right?

--Daniel
0
Daniel
8/24/2005 12:26:12 PM
Hi Daniel,
> Yeah IE does some things Firefox won't and vice-versa...although
> Firefox is getting better and better...
     We have some user pages up that Firefox will not do the background
sound correctly. It gets the number of repeat times wrong or just can't
decode the tag right at all (but truthfully that is a *Microsoft extension*
to HTML). Usually we just show them how it works in IE.

> That would be really nice if I could get a VRM from someone, then
>  I could put a DX4-100 chip in it. Although, I've seen that I could
> put a AMD 5x86-133 or something like that in it--which is 5V?.
> Aren't some people here running these in 8595s? I've run a
> PODPR63 in it, but it totally stones the floppy controller.
     The base AMD 5x86-133 is a 3 volt CPU. Evergreen, Kingston, et al put
it in a stack with an interposer so it can run in a 5 volt socket. Might be
easier to locate an interposer, plus the nicer ones had abilities to set the
internal cache mode as needed.
     The Type 1, Type 2, or Type 3 complexi are able to have a non-Intel 486
in the socket. A Type 4 'N' (486DX2-66) can't, because it has a cache
controller the CPU has to interface to, plus it checks for a correct CPUID
(Intel 040xh & 043xh CPUID runs, but not CPUID 041xh). There are some that
run non-Intel 486s overclocked quite well in T1 & T3s.

> My 6482 has the Vision864 with 1MB VRAM-- upgradable to
> 2MB. It'd be cool to locate some of those too. Guess I should
> have just found a board with all this in it heh? But then it wouldn't
> have been as much fun. :)
     The VRAM is commonly available. Not too pricey even from mail order
places like Jameco. Or eBay listings (I got a grouping of like 10 chips with
HP stickers cheaply) if you search a little.

> This thing will take LARGE disks with the latest BIOS (81A). I
> have a 2.5GB WD in it right now, and it works great.
     Good to know. The 64xx planar you have is the "Performance" level in
the ValuePoint series. Most others are 63xx Type 1 & Type 2 that were rather
basic configurations.
                           David
                           David@IBMMuseum.com

0
David
8/24/2005 4:00:35 PM
Hi Daniel !

> That would be really nice if I could get a VRM from someone, then I
> could put a DX4-100 chip in it.  Although, I've seen that I could put a
> AMD 5x86-133 or something like that in it--which is 5V?.

I'm "one of those" ... and the AMD 5x86-133 is a 3.3V CPU.
You positively need a VRM-interposer.

Or better: you pick a Kingston TurboChip 133. That *is* an AMD 5x86 in a
flat plastic case along with heatsink, fan and matching regulator on a
486DX-compatible pinout.

--
Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://members.aol.com/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm

*** Reply to: peterwendt@aol.com only ! ***
0
Peter
8/24/2005 6:23:32 PM
Hi!

> Although, I've seen that I could put a
> AMD 5x86-133 or something like that in it--which is 5V?.

The "raw processor" itself is a 3.3 volt part. However, some companies
'packaged' these CPUs onto a sort of interposer/socket adapter with the
needed VRM. You can see two examples here that I bid on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6792907047
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6793259473

I tend to prefer the second example as it has no fan. However, you
might require the fan in a low airflow environment. The Model 85 is not
a low airflow environment though. That fact came in handy when the fan
on my Kingston Turbochip (133MHz AMD 486) gave up.

http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/tc133fanfix.htm

> Aren't some people here running these in 8595s?

Most likely. Some complex based machines have trouble with these
upgrade CPUs when used in certain modes or clock multiplication
settings. I've been using mine in a 9585-0XF without any troubles at
all. Such an upgrade CPU gives this machine a nice performance boost.

>  I've run a PODPR63 in it, but it totally stones the floppy controller.

The POD is famous for that, at least in IBM boxen. For certain the
76/77 Lacuna is often affected by this odd behavior. So far 9585-K/N
boxen. Some of the bad behavior can be attributed to a caching issue.
Bending a pin on the CPU out of the way may help--see LFO's pages for
information on that.

I have a 76 Lacuna with a POD83 in place that is rock solid. The only
time it ever has trouble is when I copy an option diskette from within
systems programs. That can hang the machine up solid or dump it in a
217 (IIRC, not sure) error. For the record I am running a 256KB L2
write-back cache module in this computer. There no pins disconnected or
'bent away' from the processor. It runs, so I'm not going to try and
diddle it.

> This thing will take LARGE disks with the latest BIOS (81A).  I
> have a 2.5GB WD in it right now, and it works great.

That sounds Lacuna-like as well. With the right BIOS revision, a Lacuna
can take up to an 8GB hard disk without assistance from a 'disk
manager' software package. I'm using a 3.5GB or so Samsung drive in the
76 mentioned above.

William

0
wm_walsh

Auction: IBM PS2 77 9577 Micro Channel MCA Microchannel
<http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-PS2-77-9577-Micro-Channel-MCA-Microchannel_W0QQitemZ110070238054QQihZ001QQcategoryZ74946QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> End time: Dec-23-06 19:52:53 PST Something good from Wisconsin. Bermuda board. Hi! > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110070238054 > Something good from Wisconsin. Bermuda board. It's *so* yellow. I wonder if that's all sun-related? (On another note, I unfolded the paper tray on a Color LaserJet 2500n the other day and found it had yellowed. I consider that odd, since this printer has never seen the sunlight...do fluorescent lights yellow stuff too?) Also worth noting are the missing MCA slot covers. I wonder what was in them, if anything... William the Curious wm_walsh@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi! > >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110070238054 > >> Something good from Wisconsin. Bermuda board. > > It's *so* yellow. I wonder if that's all sun-related? (On another note, > I unfolded the paper tray on a Color LaserJet 2500n the other day and > found it had yellowed. I consider that odd, since this printer has > never seen the sunlight...do fluorescent lights yellow stuff too?) As far as I know, no. Most likely heat related from the fuser, less probably chemical from the paper. wm_walsh@hotmail.com wrote: > do fluorescent lights yellow stuff too?) Yes. Or so I...

Auc-tion: IBM PS2 77 9577 Micro Channel MCA Microchannel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110051463507 End time: Nov-07-06 19:45:51 PST (4 days 16 hours) Shipping costs: Not specified Ships to: United States Item location: Webster, Wisconsin, United States === This is an older IBM Personal Computer. It is one of IBM's Micro Channel Architecture PC, model: 9577. It has 8mb RAM, XGA Video, SCSI card and hard disk, and a 2.88 disk drive. The unit seems to work very well, and it has Windows 95 installed on it. So if your looking for a vintage piece of computer history, this would fit that catagory. No software comes with this, except for the Windows 95 that is intalled in it, and you will have to reinstall your own licensed operating system. I will ship to the lower 48 states, and no international shipping. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Thanks for looking. === PS/2 77 486DX2 Looks clean; slots 2-5 emptied. No affiliation -- Jelte Hi Jelte, > "...model: 9577. ...XGA Video, SCSI card..." > PS/2 77 486DX2 > Looks clean; slots 2-5 emptied. Bermuda planar, as expected by the badge marking. Although a Lacuna could presumably have an XGA adapter installed to supplant the planar S3 video, this is an XGA-2 adapter typical on the Bermudas. The SCSI is planar, not adapter based (not correcting you, but the seller). David David@IBMMuseum.com ...

[auction US] IBM MICROCHANNEL 1200-2400BPS MODEM FOR IBM PS2 SYSTEMS
Beware! The seller doesn't seem to care much about which card you'll be getting! >http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120086889786&ss PageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002< Regards, Alvin. ...

Auc-tion: IBM MICROCHANNEL 1200-2400BPS MODEM FOR IBM PS2 SYSTEMS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120064993053 End time: Dec-21-06 00:32:30 PST (4 days 11 hours) Ships to: Worldwide Item location: BERTONE MOTORS, CINCINNATI, OHIO, United States No affiliation "picture may not be actual item exactly; but is of and will be a PS2 microchannel modem; picture may not be exact card, I have several to sell and they are not the same, specs are within that stated" -- Jelte ...

FA: NEW IBM tapered mice, PS2 connection
Check the link --->> http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=rhblake&sort=3&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1 or do a search by seller for "rhblake" - or if you don't use ebay and want 2, 6, 12, whatever contact me direct at rhb57@alltel.net They are a little shy of $2 each plus shipping - 6 oz weight each. ...

Auction: Vintage IBM PS2 PC Hardware Maintenance Manual Models 25
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-IBM-PS2-PC-Hardware-Maintenance-Manual_W0QQitemZ270078671271QQihZ017QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> End time: Jan-18-07 17:11:07 PST These are good for quick service to the systems. I am electric, electric eye... ...

Auctions (2): Three IBM PS2 Graphics Adapters 8514/A *AND* IBM MicroChannel 4869 External 5-1/4" Disk Drive (360K)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270123874305 Starting bid: US $0.99 End time: May-31-07 16:43:43 PDT (6 days 3 hours) Ships to: United States Item location: Surprise, Arizona, United States IBM PS/2 MicroChannel CAD Workstation Graphics Cards Model 8514/A listing is for a quantity of three shipped for a single price Also by same seller : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270123854097 Starting bid: US $0.99 End time: May-31-07 15:51:52 PDT (6 days 3 hours) Includes the drive sled, the MCA adapter card and ribbon cables for inside the box (as shown in the picture). No affiliation PS William, WCT is mentioned in both auctions. -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com ...

IBM PS2 8530
Hello everyone I have Ibm ps2 8530 i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my problem is hard drive. Hard drive is dead! I do not know what to do, I can not find another to replace it. What should I do, whether it can build up a larger and newer disk? My old drive is: WDI 325Q 72x7568 Please help! Thanks "Nano" <adriano.uvodic@st.t-com.hr> wrote in message news:j9im4c$7nk$1@ss408.t-com.hr... > I have Ibm ps2 8530 i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my problem is hard drive. > Hard drive is dead! > I do not know what to do, I can not find another to replace it. > What should I do If you cannot afford to buy a new HD you must seek a free used drive through local computer clubs. (Supposing your PC runs at 8 MHz suggests you are not currently a member of such a club.) -- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada) First, location, location, location.... Where are you? City/State or province... Tried ebuy? On 11/11/2011 02:24 AM, Nano wrote: > Hello everyone > > I have Ibm ps2 8530 i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my problem is hard drive. > Hard drive is dead! > I do not know what to do, I can not find another to replace it. > What should I do, whether it can build up a larger and newer disk? > My old drive is: > WDI 325Q > 72x7568 > Please help! > Thanks > > Wow, those ebuy prices are... enthusiastic. Chances are that some of us have spares, but... where are you?...

Auction: IBM PS2 PS/2 Vintage Server Collectible sys 8595-0KF (William!! It's a xKx!!!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270237772168 Starting bid: US $59.00 End time: May-22-08 09:23:51 PDT (6 days 19 hours) Ships to: Worldwide Item location: Holliston/Boston, MA, United States You are bidding on a IBM PS2 PS/2 Vintage Server Collectible sys 8595-0KF. This has been test and in working condition. This is not really intended to be used as a computer, rather a collectible piece of IBM history. Unit IS WORKING, and cosmetically in great shape It has a 1.44 floppy and NO Hard drive and would require very specific ones if you were to go the route. (IBM older SCSI- example 85F0011, 85F0012) Proc is a 486 DX-33 FRU 64F0198 Has Internal/Ext SCSI Controller w/ Cache FRU# 85F0063 Has 8MB of RAM Has an XGA Monitor Card and requires XGA IBM Monitors System Board we believe to be FRU 33F5717 Power Supply we believe to be 92F0051 No Keyboard or Mouse. No affiliation -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com I'm looking for a 95*85*-xKx/xNx. But you should have seen how my heart skipped a beat! Thanks for pointing it out. :-) The shipping's not too far off, so if it ends without a bidder, I will probably ask about it. William "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> schreef in b...

IBM PS2 notebook N51sx
I am looking for an old N51 sx, for replace pieces. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3459519884&category=40177 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3460978409&category=42202 CT the Provider (?) ...

IBM PS2 FAQ anyone?
http://www.computercraft.com/docs/ps2htm.shtml no affiliation Moussa -- The information contained in this post is copyright of the poster, and may not be published or used by others. Hi Moussa, > http://www.computercraft.com/docs/ps2htm.shtml > is V4.0 here is V5.5a http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/FAQ/FAQ_55a.html -- Jelte, Admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki On Sun, 1 May 2011 10:23:17 +0200, JWR wrote: > Hi Moussa, > >> http://www.computercraft.com/docs/ps2htm.shtml >> > > is V4.0 > > here is V5.5a > http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/ohlandl/FAQ/FAQ_55a.html too sexy to expose it on the net/NG maybe once a month? :-) or Louis 2 strict ?!:-) Moussa -- The information contained in this post is copyright of the poster, and may not be published or used by others. ...

IBM PS2 Graphic cards for sale!
Hi, We have a few (100) brand new 8514A graphic cards (RED 8514A Graphics Accelerator, design by ACF REINSA 6amp. EDC) If anyone would like to buy some or knows anyone who might, please let me know!! ...

Auction: IBM PS2 Mod 70
>http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-PS2-Mod-70_W0QQitemZ330037024510QQihZ014QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< End time: Oct-14-06 15:13:55 PDT Short planar, 20MHz 386? ...

Linux on IBM PS2/80 8085
Hi, I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on this computer? Proc 386 Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( ) HD 300M SCSI Thks On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:35:47 +0100, Debian User wrote: > Hi, > I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on > this computer? > Proc 386 > Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( ) > HD 300M SCSI > Thks It must be possible to run a slackware (easy to install, MCA supported). But even only in text mode it will be slow. Perhaps it is possible to replace glibc by "diet libc" (http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc) for some binaries to improve performances (Never try). You can also try with a debian. As a recovering man (I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess) I would like to know your full type-model. It will be on a sticker on the rear of the Model 80. It will look like 8580-xxx. Your problem with the extension MAY be dust in the slot. Have you tried compressed air? Also, some memory cards use an init adf and Linux may not fully grok the card (I dunno). What memory expansion card did you try? Give us the adf # that you used. Debian User wrote: > Hi, > I would like to put linux on an old IBM PS2/80 which distrib work on > this computer? > Proc 386 > Memory 4Mb (have trouble with memory card extension :( ) > HD 300M SCSI > Thks > http://www.gilanet....

IBM REF DISK FOR PS2 P70
Respectfully request someone please help me. I need a your MS-DOS or OS2 machine to make me a REF Disk for the IBM PS2 P70 portable. I have the file, and I have tried to make a disk with a windows 2000 machine. No working. Just learned I need the disk made on a MS-DOS or OS2 machine. Thanks for your assistance and patience in this matter. v/r stu3v On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 02:01:04 UTC, stu3x@yahoo.com wrote: > Respectfully request someone please help me. I need a your MS-DOS or > OS2 machine to make me a REF Disk for the IBM PS2 P70 portable. I > have the file, and I have tried to make a disk with a windows 2000 > machine. No working. Just learned I need the disk made on a MS-DOS > or OS2 machine. Thanks for your assistance and patience in this > matter. Your disk is easily fixed. http://www.tavi.co.uk/ps2pages/refstamp.html -- The information contained in this post is copyright the poster, and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com Hi! > I have the file, and I have tried to make a disk with a windows 2000 > machine. No working. That will work--I've made countless disks of that type on Windows 2000. There are two things that definitely cause problems. The first is running the self-extracting file from a location on the system that has a long file or folder name in it. You can get around this two ways--either put the self-extractor in a place where the path tha...

FA: IBM Hardware Tech Ref Manual
A golden oldie from 1984, technical information and schematics for a variety of original IBM hardware. 2 Volume boxed set in fine condition. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5836367068&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT Norm ...

Ebay-IBM 9595 PS2 soundcard..lol
My news server is dead so sorry if someone already listed this card. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3061421306&category=11215 ...

IBM PS2 & ValuePoint systems for sale
I need to get rid of these machines as I need to create room in my basement. IBM PS/2 MODEL 55 8555 FOR PARTS IBM PS/2 MODEL 55 8555 WORKS 100%, NEW BATTERY INSTALLED, WITH REFERENCE BOOKLET, REFERENCE DISK COPIES, EXTRA BATTERY & CLOCK CHIPS IBM PS/2 MODEL 77 8577 WORKS 100%, NEW BATTERY INSTALLED, REFERENCE DISK IN ROM IBM PS/VALUEPOINT 425SX/SI WORKS 100%, NEW BATTERY INSTALLED IBM PS/VALUEPOINT 433DX/SI WORKS 100%, NEW BATTERY INSTALLED IBM PS/VALUEPOINT 433/DX/D WORKS 100%, NEW BATTERY INSTALLED Send me an email in case you are interested. Any fair offer accepted. Shipping through UPS Ground + Staples packaging (I do not have access to free boxes unfortunately). On 9/12/2011 7:09 PM, andy s wrote: > I need to get rid of these machines as I need to create room in my > basement. > > IBM PS/2 MODEL 55 8555 FOR PARTS > IBM PS/2 MODEL 55 8555 WORKS 100%, NEW BATTERY INSTALLED, WITH > REFERENCE BOOKLET, REFERENCE DISK COPIES, EXTRA BATTERY& CLOCK CHIPS > IBM PS/2 MODEL 77 8577 WORKS 100%, NEW BATTERY INSTALLED, REFERENCE > DISK IN ROM >>8577? You mean 9577 or you have a unique machine. What is the letter model? 9577BTB, 9577DNG. One is a bermuda or a lacuna. Where are you located? EZoto > IBM PS/VALUEPOINT 425SX/SI WORKS 100%, NEW BATTERY INSTALLED > IBM PS/VALUEPOINT 433DX/SI WORKS 100%, NEW BATTERY INSTALLED > IBM PS/VALUEPOINT 433/DX/D WORKS 100%, NEW BATTERY INSTALLED > >...

ps2 reference diskette-IBM ftp site down !
Hi ! Somebody knows where the ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/ has gone ? Do you know if does exist a mirroring ? I need PS2 reference disks ... Thanks Found them at ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/refdisks/ Thanks -- --==oo00O00oo==-- e-mail: supervinxATlibero.it - webmasterATsupervinx.com - musicATsupervinx.com Please, substitute '@' for AT ! Concerts page: http://www.supervinx.com/Concerts.html Main page: www.supervinx.com ...

Auction: IBM 9585 PS2
http://search.ebay.com/Z190174683216 BIN William, they are Xies. Hi! > http://search.ebay.com/190174683216 [fix: dropped the errant Z before item #] > BIN > William, they are Xies. As in "Xpensive". I would hope that these same machines will surface under a more reasonably priced listing or that these folks would consider a reasonable offer. I'd almost dare to make them one, but I'm not sure I want to foot the shipping bill right now. My collection of 9585-X machines is getting quite large. Most of them are transplanted Texans. I have enough to run a pretty wide card of OSes...OS/2, Win95, NT4, Linux, and NT 3.1. There is at least one "duplicate", so I could probably squeeze in a Win98SE machine. That would leave only DOS and Windows 3.1x...and I'm not sure I'd want to waste an 85 on that. William On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:38:54 -0800 (PST), wm_walsh@hotmail.com wrote: >Hi! > >> http://search.ebay.com/190174683216 > >[fix: dropped the errant Z before item #] > >> BIN >> William, they are Xies. > >As in "Xpensive". I would hope that these same machines will surface >under a more reasonably priced listing or that these folks would >consider a reasonable offer. I'd almost dare to make them one, but I'm >not sure I want to foot the shipping bill right now. > >My collection of 9585-X machines is getting quite large. M...

Auction: IBM ps2 Model 70 386
>http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-ps2-Model-70-386_W0QQitemZ5244092245QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Ends Sep-24-05 09:48:48 PDT< -- Reply to ohland@charter.net Hi! In addition to the fact that I want to replace my fallen Model 70 (this one looks to have a 16MHz planar as well) I will also be researching the SCSI adapter. Plans are to at least provide an outline and whatever other info I can dig up. This is a polite request to please not snipe me on this. :-) William 8570 with scsi, nice. let me know how it goes, was thinking of doing the same with an 8570 i currently own. -John Hi! > 8570 with scsi, nice. let me know how it goes, was thinking of doing > the same with an 8570 i currently own. I'll let you know whatever you want to know...pictures, outlines, whatever... Providing--of course--that I win the auction, I'll keep the system complete and functional. (That's the usual course of attack...but I want to make it clear that I don't try to destroy things for research.) William but of course. unless it really, really pisses you off. then, old mr. 15lb sledgehammer comes out of the closet with mr. oxyacetaline and ms. lighter fluid. -grin. did that to 2 macs i had to work on once. bastards kept giving issues, even to a mac tech who works on these things daily. they make nice little fireplaces (besides fishtanks). -John Hi! > but of course. unless it really, really pisses you off. then,...

Auction: IBM 13H6690 ps2 2button ball mice
http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-13H6690-ps2-2button-ball-mice-mouse-YOU-GET-4-/310259215353?pt=Mice&hash=item483ce3ebf9 I ordered a lot of 4 of these PS/2 mice and went back for more. They are all new in plastic bags with IBM P/N stickers. Don't know how many more they have in that condition. Sam Capps wrote: > I ordered a lot of 4 of these PS/2 mice and went back for more. They > are all new in plastic bags with IBM P/N stickers. Don't know how many > more they have in that condition. According to the listing, they have 2 more sets of 4 available. Knock yourself...

IBM Catalog of International Micro Channel Expansion Adapters
Boy, I thought I had the cat by the ... and thought I could get it for 22.90 Canadian. What a difference a decimal point makes. Dave, when is any information going to escape? Let's play Congress, you're a democrat, and pretend the catalog is our campaign plan. > Boy, I thought I had the cat by the ... and thought I could get it > for 22.90 Canadian. What a difference a decimal point makes. Well, you can get it from Amazon for $195.41 US, but in used condition. exwisdem Saw that as well. exwisdem wrote: >> Boy, I thought I had the cat by the ... and thought I could get it >> for 22.90 Canadian. What a difference a decimal point makes. > > Well, you can get it from Amazon for $195.41 US, but in used > condition. > > exwisdem > Louis, you should have purchased it new back in 1992 (like I did). List price was $13.95 back then (plus $2.00 for shipping). In fact, I have both the 8th and 9th Edition in my library. I couldn't possibly part with the 9th Edition, it's part of my history. I wonder what sort of price the 8th Edition would bring on eBay (perhaps more to the point, what would someone be willing to pay for it so that it *doesn't* get put on eBay)? Rick Ekblaw Hey, let ps2cheese knock himself out... RickE wrote: > Louis, you should have purchased it new back in 1992 (like I did). > List price was $13.95 back then (plus $2.00 for shipping). In fact, I ...

Give away: IBM PS2 95 Servers,Australia
Hey all, I have some IBM PS2 Servers to give away,to go to a good home where they will be looked after and or used. They each have about 64mb of Ram and are 32mhz as I recall,may be wrong,they all have TokenRing adapters and SCSI drives ranging from 1.5gig to 4 gig. There is 4 of them three are in good condition all over,last time I knew they were running,but have been in storage for over 7 years and not been powered up. I bought them to run Linux on but there was never nay support for it,could never get it to boot,but they did run windows up to XP although a bit slow and OS/2 from IBM. Can possibly ship anywhere one chooses,but one will have to pay the shipping cost.They are very heavy.Think they are over 25kgs each. Would preffer they went as whole units but if one needs parts i am open to suggestions,Just need them gone and out of the way and dont want to chuck them to the tip as they seem to good for this and collectible. Jesse Robinson jesse@jesse.rockr.info Could you be any more specific as to where in the country you are? -- __ __ #_ < |\| |< _# ...

Web resources about - FA: IBM ps2 Micro Channel Soundblaster - comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware

AnandTech - X-Fi and the Elite Pro: SoundBlaster's Return to Greatness
For these tests, we will be looking at RightMark 3DSound 2.0 and Battlefield 2. With the possibility of twice the number of voices supported ...

Creative SoundBlaster Roar SR20 Speaker Review
If you can only have one compact speaker, the Creative SoundBlaster Roar SR20 might just be it. This impressively versatile speaker offers portability ...

MIDI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
MIDI allows multiple instruments to be played from a single controller, which makes stage setups much more portable. This system fits into a ...

Filetypes
Email me file extensions, MIME types and Uniform Type Identifiers Back home Alternatives Apple has a more comprehensive list of Uniform Type ...

Pinball Dreams review - Edge Magazine
This review first appeared in E2, November 1993. Pinball Dreams was an amazingly polished product on the Amiga, proving that this game could ...

The Physics of Harpsichord Sound
In 1977, Fletcher judged that the sound of harpsichords seemed well within the purviewof known physics and that "a relatively complete first-order ...

Run 1992’s hottest games on the Raspberry Pi with the rpix86 emulator
... memory, 4MB of expanded memory, and 16MB of extended memory; Super VGA graphics supporting up to a 640×480 resolution and 256 colors; a SoundBlaster ...

ArthurSucks - Technology, Cartoons, Music, and General Geekery!
ArthurSucks Technology, Cartoons, Music, and General Geekery! Search Main menu Skip to primary content Skip to secondary content Home About Film ...

Free Audio Software Downloads and Program Reviews - Fileforum
Fileforum Join Betanews Log in BetaNews Fileforum The Network Architect's Almanac Top Freeware FileForum Picks Security Center Software Store ...

The High Art of Games + Romero interview
HALO and the High Art of Games: a history of the First Person Shooter From The HALO Effect BenBella Books, April 2007 In 1849, the great composer ...