IBM 512k SVGA Chipset

Hello group...

I'm talking of the "famous" IBM SVGA chipset that appears on the 512K SVGA
adapter, Model 40/56/57 planars and the Model 25SX.

Of all these systems, only the SVGA adapter and the 25SX have the 512K of
VRAM included that's needed to make the chipset able to use SVGA modes like
640x480x256 and 800x600x16. I found some VRAMs that would work and have been
able to prove that at least the 57SLC can do SVGA modes when using the VESA
driver that IBM provides for use with DOS. The 40SX I have here only has
solder spots on the planar for extra VRAMs and I do not have enough
soldering skills to put my only set of VRAMs there to see if it works as
well.

While it is no problem to use another video adapter for MCA machines, the
25SX is somewhat stuck with the video it has onboard. Unfortunately, I don't
think IBM ever developed drivers beyond the DOS VESA driver and maybe an
OS/2 driver.

It is obvious that TI made parts of the 512k SVGA chipset for IBM...is there
any possibility (in the hope of finding drivers for, say, maybe Windows
3.1x) that TI ever made their own SVGA chipset?

William The Wonderer

0
William

Hi William !

First off: most of the "infos" I have on that infamous chipset is based on
talks with IBM tech-people in the late 80s / early 90s and may repeat a lot
rumours and half-through ideas.

Next: Back when the 8556 / 8557 came out IBM still judged PCs as "mainframe
add-ons" - their intention was not focussed on PCs as independent machines but
always with a mainframe in the background, acting as better terminals. The CPU
power of these 386SX was that low, that it were ridiculous to see them in a
complex graphic context like AutoCAD or realtime imaging. Seeing them as
"workstations" would be laughable. The best they could do was stand-alone DOS
(or OS/2) and terminal emulation.

The base idea on that chipset was to extend the capabilities towards Super-VGA,
which came neccessary for displaying non-latin characters like japanese,
chinese and other more calligraphic stuff, which has to use a larger pixel
raster than 8 x 8 to 9 x 12 bit patterns. This consequently requires a larger
VRAM along with a totally different character generator.

The video-section on 8556 and 8557 is largely based on the IBM chipset used for
the 50 / 60, 70 / 80 and 55 / 65 machines. As far as I recall they even used
the same Inmos 25MHz RAMDAC, which is in fact limited to 640 x 480 / 16 colors
@ 70Hz text and 60Hz graphics. The additional 256K VRAM (wasn't it 4 x 41464
SIPPs ?), which can be installed on the 56 / 57 would therefore not
neccessarily extend the screen size, but also the off-screen memory used for
RAM-based character generators or software downloadable fonts.

Additionally the Video BIOS seems to have some more modes.
It *is* capable to do some 800 x 600 SVGA mode (with reduced vertical refresh
because of the 25MHz RAMDAC) as well as a 132 x 25 text mode used for 3270- and
AS400-terminals. There is also something that IBM might have called eXtended
MCGA plus CGA-modes with shared attributes across an 8 x 8 pixel block as used
for PRESTEL modes. The developement on CGA / MCGA / EGA digital RGB branch
however has been stopped for the favour of analogue VGA / SVGA / XGA / SXGA
developements.

The EGA modes have been maintained for text modes and "Terminal Emulation"
modes. Even today you can do a "SCREEN 9" under GWBasic on the most modern
video cards. That SCREEN 9 mode is the HiRes EGA 640 x 480 / 256 colors mode
with shared attributes used by most graphic terminals like the 3278 terminal
for GDDM.

The short 512K SVGA Adapter (90EE) is a different story.
In the early 90s IBM looked for some cheap VGA card to substitute the
(relatively) expensive XGA-2 adapter for *servers*, where the primary purpose
is supervision of the machine rather than real *work* with it in Hi-Res. It was
just to supply a base video, where a XGA-2 were a waste of potential. They had
a contract with TI for some DSPs in multimedia already (the MWave for instance
is based on TI-DSPs as well as many Thinkpad internal chipsets) and TI offered
them a rather cheap - and inexpensive - chipset and combined it with a cheap
clock oscillator and an Inmos RAMDAC. That chipset was already pretty much
outdated at that time but IBM decided it would suffice for that low end
purpose.

Driver support was given under DOS and OS/2 only for base functions like
selection of the vertical refresh and few different modes only. Not even the
Win 3.x support has been finalized. Technically the adapter could do better
than VGA, but its video BIOS is largely undocumented and intentionally crippled
down to a few functions.

I am not sure if the chipset might have been used in Texas Instruments
portables as well or within the early IBM ThinkPad series (720 or 750). I
vaguely recall a 256-colour-support driver for the color Thinkpads, which would
require a 512K VRAM for 640 x 480 as well. But I don't know if that wasn't for
the odd WD chipset used on early Thinkpads as well.

While we're on it: Alternatively the Cirrus Logic SVGA (917B) was available
too.
Based on a CL reference design with the CL-5428 (ISA/MCA/PCI) chipset similar
to that used on the PS/Value Point Series 1 (CL-5422 on the 6384-Cxx / CL-5428
on PS/VP-Si 425SX and 433SX machines) there were two different cards available:
the IBM SVGA CL28 Adapter that Tatsuo described on his site (917A ? I think) -
which was the already-existing japanese version AFAIK and the infamous 917B
with the falsely mounted capacitor which was a later / alternative design.
Physically limited to 1MB VRAM and handicapped with an 80MHz integrated RAMDAC
the adapter never really took off. It ends at 1024 x 768 / 256 colors @ 70Hz
vertical refresh.

The chipset itself can handle 2MB VRAM - but the Video BIOS IBM used does not
make advantage of that, not even detects the additional RAM IIRC.

The very same CL-5428 chipset can be found on most Reply upgrade boards. Here
the sockets for the two 256K x 16 bit chips are present and the video BIOS
appears to be fully functional, detecting and supporting 2MB VRAM, which
allowes to go up to 1024 x 768 / 64K colors. There it is "only" a driver
question whether you get to see the higher modes or not.

Does that help somehow ?

Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm
0
peterwendt
12/21/2003 1:07:20 PM
> The base idea on that chipset was to extend the capabilities towards
Super-VGA,
> which came neccessary for displaying non-latin characters like japanese,
> chinese and other more calligraphic stuff, which has to use a larger pixel
> raster than 8 x 8 to 9 x 12 bit patterns. This consequently requires a
larger
> VRAM along with a totally different character generator.

Basicly, there is a difference between displaying text in graphics modes and
alphanumeric modes. Video Int 10h/Func 11h provides the character generator
interface -- for graphics modes, one can point the interrupt vector to a
user-defined glyph table residing elsewhere (!) in memory, whereas for
alphanumeric modes the glyph tables are loaded in the character definition
tables in the video RAM. Plain VGA can have up to 8 of them (EGA up to 4),
and both EGA and VGA can work with 9-byte characters (for a total of 512
characters).

As for the size of a BIOS resident glyph matrix (a bit pattern), it is a
function of the line resolution: it varies from 8x8 (200 lines, CGA) to 9x16
(400 lines, VGA), these are the default character sizes for alphanumeric
mode and appear somewhat compressed (elongated) when used in graphics modes.

Basicly, it would be difficult to work with alphanumeric character
definition tables for Asian characters (VGA, 512 chars with 9-byte codes),
since once has to take into account the readability as well, hence a
graphics mode provides the greater freedom of choice, also because one has
to consider how the chars will be entered, it is most often a combination of
several keystrokes for a single composite char.

0
Nihavent
12/21/2003 2:54:00 PM
Hi William,
> ...[the] chipset that appears on the ...Model 40/56/57 planars and
> the Model 25SX...
     I see Peter has already more specifically corrected your 56/57
statement to know you mean the 8556/8557 planars. The 9556/9557 models
have XGA-2 as planar video (I say it not for you, but other viewers).
The 40SX planar is also shared with the 35SX, so include that model in
the list (there was also a high-end planar for the 35/40 much like
that of the Model 33 "E", with planar XGA-2).
                  David
                  David@gilanet.com
0
David
12/21/2003 8:20:54 PM
Hi !

>Basicly, it would be difficult to work with alphanumeric character
>definition tables for Asian characters (VGA, 512 chars with 9-byte codes),
>since once has to take into account the readability as well, hence a
>graphics mode provides the greater freedom of choice, also because one has
>to consider how the chars will be entered, it is most often a combination of
>several keystrokes for a single composite char.

Absolutely true.
As said in the beginning: a lot of my remarks is based on rumours and legends
passed on the campfires of IBM-freaked IT-staff over the years.

Fact is OTOH that the generic 256K VGA / EGA was insufficient for most enhanced
display stuff and even medium-resolution graphics required larger VRAM.
Remember having Win 3.1 running in VGA mode with 16 colours in 640 x 480 ?
A pain in the ass to say the least.

Most of the PS/55 domestic japanese machines of that time had capabilities
above that already - I hope there are people out to confirm that - since even
the simplified font set was almost unreadable with such a low screen resolution
in graphics, not to speak of text modes with the fixed and limited raster size.

But the reason *why* the 8556 and 8557 had a base 256K VGA expandable to 512K
is mainly guesswork. The chipset itself is mainly plain VGA and -after my
knowledge- there was no official video upgrade available.
At least I haven't ever seen one.
I myself stuffed in some RAMs I had at hand and tested around with a 57 to see
if I could get into some higher resolution modes. The effort was ... well ...
wasted. It seemed as if the modes were missing in the Video BIOS. The ABIOS
didn't give many hints and I didn't have any non-european references at hand to
compare if e.g. japanese versions had a different BIOS.

A co-worker played around with an 8557 M57 Ultimedia under OS/2, fully equipped
with the AVC stuff and he claimed that he'd managed to get the unit going in
256 colors @ 640 x 480 - a mode called "256-colour VGA" somewhere in the
drivers.
Practically that is the first SVGA mode already and that required the
additional VRAM already.

Whatever. When the Premium Line 56 / 57 came out the onboard 1MB XGA-2 made
things pretty much easier. I loved those boxes - still do and have some of them
around. I don't have am 8556 / 8557 anymore ... or only in the storage
probably.

Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm
0
peterwendt
12/21/2003 11:19:47 PM
Hi David !

>(there was also a high-end planar for the 35/40 much like
>that of the Model 33 "E", with planar XGA-2).

To be precise: that *is* the 9533 PS/2e planar.

The machines are therefore labelled "9535" and "9540", since they have a
display adapter above VGA and belong to the Premium Line - hence 95xx.
I have seen one once. Martin from the Netherlands brought the one he owns
along, when he visited me.

Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm
0
peterwendt
12/22/2003 9:08:26 AM
Hi Peter,
>> (there was also a high-end planar for the 35/40 much
>> like that of the Model 33 "E", with planar XGA-2).
> To be precise: that *is* the 9533 PS/2e planar. The machines are therefore
> labelled "9535" and "9540", since they have a display adapter above VGA
> and belong to the Premium Line - hence 95xx. I have seen one once. Martin
> from the Netherlands brought the one he owns along, when he visited me.
     I meant to say 8535/8540 (as I am sure William did with the
8556/8557) when talking about the 35SX & 40SX. Since I am getting a
couple more 9533s I have thought about doing a conversion to a 8535 or
8540 case. The riser might be the only worry (but I have a number of
clone ISA risers I could graft into the top of the 33 riser). My study
showed the 25SX riser (two normal ISA slots high & one on the reverse
side) to look like it would work on the 9533/9535/9540 planar.
                    David
                    David@gilanet.com
0
David
12/22/2003 5:25:15 PM
> > (VGA, 512 chars with 9-byte codes),

9-bit codes, of course. "9-bytes" is a too good invention.

> But the reason *why* the 8556 and 8557 had a base 256K VGA expandable to
512K
> is mainly guesswork. The chipset itself is mainly plain VGA and -after my
> knowledge- there was no official video upgrade available.

Aspiring to be SVGA, I guess. There were controllers at the time which did
800x600/16 colors with 512K VRAM, and the SVGA was not yet established.
Siemens had a card called ERGO VGA, basicly Tseng ET2000, IIRC, and it had
its own drivers for Win 3.x to supply the "non-standard" VGA modes (even a
1024x768/16 colors) which later become de-facto SVGA standards. Those 512K
or 1M video controllers required custom drivers, and the custom video modes
on the plain VGA have been too an experiment (at least how to fry a monitor
when you get it wrong). But remember, all this coincided with Win 3.x and
people were paying for higher video resolutions and more video RAM. May be
the latter was the true reason, to market and sell it better.

0
Nihavent
12/22/2003 8:13:51 PM
Hi David !

>Since I am getting a
>couple more 9533s I have thought about doing a conversion to a 8535 or
>8540 case. The riser might be the only worry (but I have a number of
>clone ISA risers I could graft into the top of the 33 riser).

Ooof !

If you have a -say- 8535 already you have a matching riser as well I think
..
AFAIK there were no differences between them. Clone risers tend to have "silly
surprises" buried in them - where "Reserved" pins are tied to GND or + levels
for instance - or have totally different pinout at all.

I must have a 35SX or 35SLC (no-media model) in the Hamburg office ... if it
hasn't been disposed in the meantime.

Time to compare risers with a multimeter. ;-)

Very friendly greetings from Peter in Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/mcaindex.htm
0
peterwendt
12/22/2003 11:21:44 PM
Hi!

Many thanks for typing that up...it does answer some of the questions I had
and provides an interesting history on the chipset.

However, I'm still wondering if IBM cared to write drivers for any operating
systems beyond OS/2 and DOS?

I'd love to find some drivers that could get a 25SX (where the 512K video
subsystem is the final word in video, unless perhaps I get out the soldering
iron and try to burn the house down) displaying 640x480x256 under, say
Windows 3.x. . I know that the 256 color display can be done on the
25SX--Fractint and the IBM VESA DOS driver were able to hit a nice
640x480x256 with no problems.
I even got an out of sync 800x600x16 display that way.

William

0
William
12/27/2003 2:29:21 AM
Note: I am _NOT_ a windoze 3.xx expert!

I thought, however, there was a "generic vesa" driver for windows 3.11 (the
"windows for workgroups" version)  That way, you loaded the VESA TSR
program for your video card then ran windows and voila.

I could easily be wrong on this one, but I seem to remember using this
"trick" for non-natively supported SVGA cards.

"William R. Walsh" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Many thanks for typing that up...it does answer some of the questions I had
> and provides an interesting history on the chipset.
>
> However, I'm still wondering if IBM cared to write drivers for any operating
> systems beyond OS/2 and DOS?
>
> I'd love to find some drivers that could get a 25SX (where the 512K video
> subsystem is the final word in video, unless perhaps I get out the soldering
> iron and try to burn the house down) displaying 640x480x256 under, say
> Windows 3.x. . I know that the 256 color display can be done on the
> 25SX--Fractint and the IBM VESA DOS driver were able to hit a nice
> 640x480x256 with no problems.
> I even got an out of sync 800x600x16 display that way.
>
> William

0
Everyone
12/27/2003 4:25:07 PM

"William R. Walsh" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Many thanks for typing that up...it does answer some of the questions I had
> and provides an interesting history on the chipset.
>
> However, I'm still wondering if IBM cared to write drivers for any operating
> systems beyond OS/2 and DOS?
>
> I'd love to find some drivers that could get a 25SX (where the 512K video
> subsystem is the final word in video, unless perhaps I get out the soldering
> iron and try to burn the house down) displaying 640x480x256 under, say
> Windows 3.x. . I know that the 256 color display can be done on the
> 25SX--Fractint and the IBM VESA DOS driver were able to hit a nice
> 640x480x256 with no problems.
> I even got an out of sync 800x600x16 display that way.
>
> William

0
Everyone
12/27/2003 4:32:18 PM

"William R. Walsh" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Many thanks for typing that up...it does answer some of the questions I had
> and provides an interesting history on the chipset.
>
> However, I'm still wondering if IBM cared to write drivers for any operating
> systems beyond OS/2 and DOS?
>
> I'd love to find some drivers that could get a 25SX (where the 512K video
> subsystem is the final word in video, unless perhaps I get out the soldering
> iron and try to burn the house down) displaying 640x480x256 under, say
> Windows 3.x. . I know that the 256 color display can be done on the
> 25SX--Fractint and the IBM VESA DOS driver were able to hit a nice
> 640x480x256 with no problems.
> I even got an out of sync 800x600x16 display that way.
>
> William

0
Everyone
12/27/2003 4:32:42 PM
Hi!

> Note: I am _NOT_ a windoze 3.xx expert!

I think you're on the right track however. I heard rumors ages ago of such a
"generic VESA" driver for Win 3.1x, but I can't think who might have made
one and Googling on it hasn't seemed to help.

I'll keep looking...anyone with any hints, thoughts, files, etc...please
tell me!

William

0
William
12/28/2003 5:54:27 PM
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>

>>Note: I am _NOT_ a windoze 3.xx expert!
>

> I think you're on the right track however. I heard rumors ages ago of such a
> "generic VESA" driver for Win 3.1x, but I can't think who might have made
> one and Googling on it hasn't seemed to help.
>
> I'll keep looking...anyone with any hints, thoughts, files, etc...please
> tell me!

If I remember right, there was a 800x600 16 colour driver for most SVGA
Chipsets in Windows 3.1. I used it with an ISA Trident TVGA9000 without
VESA TSR.
Worked with ATI 28800 and ET4000 too.

No generic VESA driver for 256 colour modes.

---
Uli

0
Ulrich
12/29/2003 12:08:49 AM
"William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com>
wrote in news:nNEHb.685702$Fm2.590554@attbi_s04:

> Hi!
>
>> Note: I am _NOT_ a windoze 3.xx expert!
>
> I think you're on the right track however. I heard rumors ages ago of
> such a "generic VESA" driver for Win 3.1x, but I can't think who might
> have made one and Googling on it hasn't seemed to help.
>
> I'll keep looking...anyone with any hints, thoughts, files,
> etc...please tell me!
>
> William

Hi

www.simtel.net still have a large list of vesa drivers
use vesa in the search engine.

univbe was the most popular a shareware program used to come bundled
with early 3d games shooters such as doom and duke nukem etc....

Cheers......
0
Cheers

Auc-tion: IBM MICROCHANNEL 1200-2400BPS MODEM FOR IBM PS2 SYSTEMS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120064993053 End time: Dec-21-06 00:32:30 PST (4 days 11 hours) Ships to: Worldwide Item location: BERTONE MOTORS, CINCINNATI, OHIO, United States No affiliation "picture may not be actual item exactly; but is of and will be a PS2 microchannel modem; picture may not be exact card, I have several to sell and they are not the same, specs are within that stated" -- Jelte ...

WTT: 32MB SIMMs
I have (6) sticks of SiliconMountain Memory (Parity, Gold leads, 70ns), product # SMM4342-9661. These SIMMs are supposed to be equivalent to IBM 92G7205. This memory works fine in my PC 750 MCA/PCI (6886) under Win98. But it does NOT work reliability under Windows NT 3.51 (My current OS). I would like to trade 192MB of SiliconMountain Memory for (2) sticks of IBM 92G7205 SIMMs. Please contact me via email at gorenbergh @ mags . net. Thanks, Steve (eTh1nk) ...

IBM Hardware
Elarasys, Inc a leading reseller of pre-owned IBM p5, pSeries, and TotalStorage hardware has a sale on the below systems. p615 7029-6C3 1-Way 1.2GHz, 1GB Memory, 36.4GB 10K Disk Drive, DVD, Rails&Power Cord $2,100.00 7044-170 400MHz, 1GB Memory, 2 x 18.2GB 10K Disk Drives, CD-ROM, 20/40GB 8mm Tape Drive, GXT4500P, K&M $675.00 p640 7026-B80 2-Way 375MHz/8MB, 1GB Memory, 18.2GB 10K Drive, CD-ROM, Rails&Power Cord $850.00 We can a complete line of IBM p5, pSeries and TotalStorage hardware if you are looking for something not listed above or would like a different configuration p...

IBM Hardware
Is and always was, of better quality than Apple. In article <M2q1g.4309$Kn4.4058@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, "zara" <zspook@aol.com> wrote: > Is and always was, of better quality than Apple. Zzzzzz..... In article <M2q1g.4309$Kn4.4058@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, "zara" <zspook@aol.com> wrote: > Is and always was, of better quality than Apple. Then what happened to OS/2? It should be up to Warp 7 by now. -- Microsoft and Windoze: The combination that made computing dangerous. Apple and OS X: The combination that made computing insanely great. "VISTA" an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses, Intrusions, Spyware, Trojans and Adware. As long as the OS was from Apple and not MS I wouldn't care Jim Lee Jr. wrote: > In article <M2q1g.4309$Kn4.4058@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, > "zara" <zspook@aol.com> wrote: > >> Is and always was, of better quality than Apple. > > Then what happened to OS/2? It should be up to Warp 7 by now. > Your post is off topic. Try: comp.os.os2.advocacy zara wrote: > Is and always was, of better quality than Apple. > > Can't get an IBM PC anymore. My old IBM is 8 already. Had to replace the CPU fan, but it still works. -- Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket? Jim Lee Jr. wrote: > In article <M2q1g.4309$Kn4.4058@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, > "zara" <zspook@aol.co...

ibm
I'm Matthew Win Tibbals, pedophile. http://www.matthewtibbals.com ...

IBM
It frightens me that IBM is pushing for more Linux. They have gone to the point of releasing some of their software patents to help spark the growth of Linux. I for one shudder at the fact that some day companies like IBM may make a power play for the control of Linux software development. It will not be in ownership rights, because of the GPL. However, if the corporations of the world start "needing" open source, they will try to control and steer its development by offering large "donations" to get what they are depending on. If open source developers accept these "gifts," they will become dependent on the corporations. If this hypothetical thought turns out to be true, would this spoil the free software notion of open source and make Linux as proprietary as any other commercial OS? In my hypothetical future of Linux and IBM, would we have IBM sponsered distributions of Linux, for instance? Would IBM be next to try to rule the world with their "IBM Linux" just as MS is trying to rule the desktop with Windows? Think about it. IBM has a lot of money to throw around. They could make "IBM Linux" way more popular than Red Hat with that kind of money. Maybe even make it as popular as Windows?? They'll hold the dough while Linux developers try to get in on a piece of the action. ** DISCALIMER ** This post is neither an attack on Linux, an attack on Windows, a Windows endorsement, nor a Linux endorsement. This po...

Lot of IBM PS2 Memory. 512K Upgrades? -NEW Old Stock- auction
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74946&item=5195331235< Ends May-15-05 18:48:16 PDT > Here�s a lot of IBM memory kits that can go. I pulled these from the original boxes some years back to save space, but if I remember correctly, these are 512K MB kits for the IBM model 30 PS2 machines. Not sure if they wer for the 286 or 8088/8086 ones. All of these were new and unopened when I got them, and I have opened a few to show what is inside. If there were 512K kits, then these are 256K each. Not positive. Chips are Micron Tech 1259EJ-12 part number on Gold plated 9 chip 30pin simms. I don�t have a machine that can use these anymore, so they can go. There are 12 packs. -- Reply to ohland@charter.net Definzel? What is your reason for that handle? :-) Dan ...

IBM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/business/06layoffs.html?ref=business On Mar 6, 10:46=A0am, ibm.su...@ibm.com wrote: > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/business/06layoffs.html?ref=3Dbusiness And this surprises you how? Look, there are a couple of things at play here... First, in S&D, there have been a lot of acquisitions and when you assume a company, you assume their sales force. So you have some overlap. You also have a constant churn in the field reps as you remove weaker workers. Of course the inept management stays put. ;-) I can say more about S&D, but do you really want a lecture on the economies of running an IT Software company? ;-) The point is while I know a lot of people in the S&D ranks who got whacked, I'm not shocked by it. The other cuts? Now that's a different story... With respect to the other RIFs, you have a serious issue where IBM is displacing the work from higher labor cost countries to lower cost workforces. How can you say that there isn't 'job shifting' when you get a person who does job X in the US and is replaced by someone doing job X in another country like India and Brazil? A few years ago, IBM moved a lot of their back office work to Brazil. Very painful in terms of getting things done. Not really noticed by the customer and the S&D team just lumped it and worked around the issues. IBM? They saved money, increasing their profitability at the expense of their ability to...

IBM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/business/06layoffs.html?ref=business ...

IBM
hi, could u info if IBM viavoice speech recognition is still available for free download. If not what are my options (Indian with regional lingo also good) for free download of the afore via-voice software varios zenacosta@gmail.com wrote: > could u info if IBM viavoice speech recognition is still available for > free download. Never (to my knowledge) was it legally available for free download. It's currently distributed by Nuance. -- Hubert Cr�py ...

Auction: Vintage IBM PS2 PC Hardware Maintenance Manual Models 25
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-IBM-PS2-PC-Hardware-Maintenance-Manual_W0QQitemZ270078671271QQihZ017QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> End time: Jan-18-07 17:11:07 PST These are good for quick service to the systems. I am electric, electric eye... ...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 [5 CDs] for DB2 UDB for OS/390, and for DB2 UDB for Unix, Macromedia ColdFusion MX V6.0.1 for IBM WebSphere Application Server, Macromedia ColdFusion MX for J2EE, other IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2 17/Sep/2004 WEBSPHERE BUSINESS INTEGRATION CONNECT ADVANCED v4.2.2 - IBM CD NR 16 297 DW v1.2 DB2 UDB Enterprise Edition V7.2.10a - IBM Tivoli CD NR 16 110 IBM DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition v8.2 16 053 Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 - Peoplesoft [5 CDs] 16 029 Sybase:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-456rm4 Microsoft SQL Server:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-457py4 DB2 UDB for OS/390:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-45auo5 Oracle:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-452o1s Informix:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-453x5w DB2 UDB for Unix, NT:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-454yc...

[...]

IBM Service Partition (IBM 300)
Hi I'm a new boy to the Service Partition found on IBM's... I'm just trying to fix a friends PC... Basically there is a problem with Windows and I am getting a Kernel32 problem..., which knocks the PC over when it loads and stops dead.... Fine, I can sort the software no problem..., once I can get into it... The problem is that I have never come across this Service Partition before and as such I cannot get into the C: drive... i.e. I cannot break into the Win98 start menu to load the PC in safe mode... ctrl - break doesn't work, I can't boot from a DOS disk ...

IBM R50 vs IBM R40 ?
I looked at the IBM website and dont really see the differences (pros/cons) of the IBM R40's and R50's. Is it just different features,styling, or performance? Thanks, Lou ...

DominoNews: IBM Connect becomes IBM ConnectED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- DominoNews - IBM Collaboration Solutions (Lotus software) news IBM Notes and Domino since 2003 September 10, 2014 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- SPONSORS: Genius Project for Domino: Try it free! Project Management Software for IBM Lotus Notes and Domino http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/geniusproject AttachZIP: Attachment compression, image optimization and archive tool for = IBM Notes Compress attachments to ZIP format and optimize images. Increase disk space= , network bandwidth and performance. Reduce mailbox / DB sizes. Single prod= uct offering. Notes template based installation. http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/attachzip ACL Dominator: ACL management and administration reporting security tool fo= r IBM Notes Report, manage, analyze, audit, export, update all Access Control Lists on = an IBM Domino server. Fix security holes, optimize servers, expand nested g= roups, prepare for message migrations. Report on ACLs, database properties,= mailbox preference properties, user activity, DAOS. http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/acldominator Print Merge Reporter: Mail merge, printing and reporting tool for IBM Notes Mail merge Excel, contacts, barcodes and Notes app data to email or printer= using Notes, iNotes, web. Generate charts and reports to Word, Excel, and = PDF fo...

looking for IBM PPC405EP eaval borad from IBM
Hello, i am looking for a IBM PPC405EP eval board from IBM. If you have one and no longer use it and would like to sell it, i am interested in buying it ASAP. Thanks robert_kw @ yahoo dot com ...

DominoNews: IBM Connect becomes IBM ConnectED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- DominoNews - IBM Collaboration Solutions (Lotus software) news IBM Notes and Domino since 2003 September 10, 2014 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- SPONSORS: Genius Project for Domino: Try it free! Project Management Software for IBM Lotus Notes and Domino http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/geniusproject AttachZIP: Attachment compression, image optimization and archive tool for = IBM Notes Compress attachments to ZIP forma...

Which IBM ??
Hi, I could really use some help. I am about to buy my first (probably only) laptop. I have been reading up on them for months, and decided to go with IBM. After living in the IBM website for about a month I decided on the A31p, 2 drive bays, lots of ports (every once in a while I like to mess around with video capture) and I really like the flexview screen ( a good display is very important to me). It was a real relief to have finally made a decision, then I noticed the R50, also with flexview (I can't afford the R50p). The technology of the R50 seems way ahead of the A31p (pentium M 1....

IBM PS2 8530
Hello everyone I have Ibm ps2 8530 i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my problem is hard drive. Hard drive is dead! I do not know what to do, I can not find another to replace it. What should I do, whether it can build up a larger and newer disk? My old drive is: WDI 325Q 72x7568 Please help! Thanks "Nano" <adriano.uvodic@st.t-com.hr> wrote in message news:j9im4c$7nk$1@ss408.t-com.hr... > I have Ibm ps2 8530 i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my problem is hard drive. > Hard drive is dead! > I do not know what to do, I can not find another to replace it. > What should I do If you cannot afford to buy a new HD you must seek a free used drive through local computer clubs. (Supposing your PC runs at 8 MHz suggests you are not currently a member of such a club.) -- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada) First, location, location, location.... Where are you? City/State or province... Tried ebuy? On 11/11/2011 02:24 AM, Nano wrote: > Hello everyone > > I have Ibm ps2 8530 i8086 (8mhz i think?) and my problem is hard drive. > Hard drive is dead! > I do not know what to do, I can not find another to replace it. > What should I do, whether it can build up a larger and newer disk? > My old drive is: > WDI 325Q > 72x7568 > Please help! > Thanks > > Wow, those ebuy prices are... enthusiastic. Chances are that some of us have spares, but... where are you?...

DominoNews: IBM Connect becomes IBM ConnectED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- DominoNews - IBM Collaboration Solutions (Lotus software) news IBM Notes and Domino since 2003 September 10, 2014 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ---------------- SPONSORS: Genius Project for Domino: Try it free! Project Management Software for IBM Lotus Notes and Domino http://www.dominonews.com/dnews.nsf/ads/geniusproject AttachZIP: Attachment compression, image optimization and archive tool for = IBM Notes Compress attachments to ZIP forma...

Web resources about - IBM 512k SVGA Chipset - comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware

NEAT chipset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NEAT (more officially called CS8221) was actually not the first chipset based on the 82C206, but its predecessor lacked a catchy name, being ...

Chipset - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A chipset , PC chipset , or chip set refers to a group of integrated circuits , or chips, that are designed to work together. They are usually ...

CPU and chipset heat sinks - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

OpenBSD to support more wireless chipsets
The forthcoming 3.7 release of the OpenBSD operating system has added support for five more wireless chipsets, according to the OpenBSD project ...

HTC unveils HTC One ME, a dual-sim smartphone packing MediaTek’s Helio X10 chipset
Further differentiating its lineup (or complicating it, however you look at it), HTC has just unveiled a new dual-sim HTC One for the Chinese ...

Marvell offers complete Apple HomeKit chipset and SDK to accessory makers
... about AAPL Company , Apple , and iOS continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Marvell offers complete Apple HomeKit chipset ...

Quantenna Maintains 802.11ac Technology Lead as Broadcom and Marvell Launch New Chipsets
Quantenna was the first to bring a 4x4 MU-MIMO 802.11ac chipset to the market (with the Asus RT-AC87U and the Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500). It ...

Sony CEO shoots down rumors regarding sale of their mobile business, in-house chipset
... that Sony has no intention of making such a sale, and he also put rumors to rest regarding the possibility of Sony making their own chipset ...

Live from Beijing: Huawei details the Kirin 950 chipset
We're coming at you live from Beijin, China, where Huawei is detailing the Kirin 950 chipset — and the boost in performance and call quality ...

LG LS970 ‘Eclipse’ leaks with quadcore Krait chipset
LG is known for its scoops: They were the first with a dualcore phone, the first with a 3D phone and they've done it yet again. Although the ...