IBM PS/2 P70 MEMORY and SCSI HDD upgrades!

Hello all,

I found some memory for the PS/2 P70! Look here:

http://affordablesurplus.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=IBM+92F0104+&I1.x=0&I1.y=0&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

I also purchased an ACTUAL PS/2 SCSI adapter:
 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6741870578

I'm kind of rusty on the whole SCSI termination thing- anyone think this
card has a chance of being the "automatically terminating" type?

I've read one or two ways of upgrading to a SCSI harddrive (from OEM ESDI).
I'm a little timid about approaching the power connector hookup. Could
somone point me to a specific pinout of ESDI power to IDE power? I'd hate to
fry my SCSI drive or, worse yet, my PS/2!

Thanks, Scott
Scott

0
Forrest

Hi Scott...

"Forrest "Scott" Brinkley" <fsb1284@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I found some memory for the PS/2 P70! Look here:

http://affordablesurplus.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=IBM+92F010
4+&I1.x=0&I1.y=0&iLevel=1&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtse
archParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

> I also purchased an ACTUAL PS/2 SCSI adapter:
>  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6741870578

That's a "yellow T-res", therefore later revision, adapter which doesn't
need the big black external terminator block. You'll still need to set
termination on the *last physical* (physical position) drive on the cable
off the card-edge connector. That's (with the cable in place) going to be a
tight fit in a P70, if it'll go at all.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/23/2005 12:24:36 AM
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:24:36 GMT, "Tim Clarke"
<SpamBlock.Monetaim.Com@cswebmail.com> wrote:

>That's a "yellow T-res", therefore later revision,

Wasn't T-res the band that did Bang A Gong? LOL
0
Russ
8/23/2005 12:37:55 AM
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:24:36 UTC, "Tim Clarke"
<SpamBlock.Monetaim.Com@cswebmail.com> wrote:

> > I also purchased an ACTUAL PS/2 SCSI adapter:
> >  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6741870578
>
> That's a "yellow T-res", therefore later revision, adapter which doesn't
> need the big black external terminator block. You'll still need to set
> termination on the *last physical* (physical position) drive on the cable
> off the card-edge connector. That's (with the cable in place) going to be a
> tight fit in a P70, if it'll go at all.

It fits. I've done it. But I did make a custom cable, just long enough,
to save clutter.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325; PS/2s 8595*3, 9595*3 (2*P60 + P90), 8535, 8570, 9556*2,
8580*6,
8557*2, 8550, 9577, 8530, P70, PC/AT..
http://www.tavi.co.uk
http://www.ardent-tool.org.uk

0
Bob
8/23/2005 7:32:49 AM
Hi Bob...

"Bob Eager" <rde42@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > <SNIP>
> > That's a "yellow T-res", therefore later revision, adapter which doesn't
> > need the big black external terminator block. You'll still need to set
> > termination on the *last physical* (physical position) drive on the
cable
> > off the card-edge connector. That's (with the cable in place) going to
be a
> > tight fit in a P70, if it'll go at all.
>
> It fits. I've done it. But I did make a custom cable, just long enough,
> to save clutter.

Good to know. I'd use a Patriot, as it has "Fast SCSI-2" support or even a
Corvette (for caching and CPU-offload by the on-board processor and memory)
as they both have "card-face" connectors.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/23/2005 9:18:51 AM
> Wasn't T-res the band that did Bang A Gong? LOL

T-Rex and his surname sounded like "Borland"

0
UZnal
8/23/2005 9:49:45 AM
Hi Tim!
> Good to know. I'd use a Patriot, as it has "Fast SCSI-2" support or even a
> Corvette (for caching and CPU-offload by the on-board processor and memory)
> as they both have "card-face" connectors.

Patriot is indeed the best for a P70. It fits in the small 16-bit slot -
unlike the Corvette or one of the other longer adapters.

Saski
--
Remove ".KEIN.ROASTBEEF" from my address to send mail
0