IBM PS/2 P70 purchased brand new!

Hello:

I just bought an IBM PS/2 P70 "sewing machine" case PC on eBay in it's
original box, UNUSED!
(eBay item# 5226052089)

For this, I bought:

 IBM MCA 92F0160 SCSI-2 Card (from an RS6000 server)
(ebay item# 5179496534)

and a card edge cable, eBay item# 5199812189.

Hopefully these will work? I have an early-to-mid nineties IBM 1-gig SCSI
drive that I'll be using to upgrade the system along with the card and
cable.

For comunications, I got a

 3Com Etherlink III MCA 16/32bit NIC Card 3C529-TP
(eBay item# 5796220874).

I'm confident this will work.

As for memory, my bank account is rather low after buying the mint P70. I
did, however coem across some old SIMMS in a static bag from either a 386 or
586 system my family owned. (I'm obviously hoping for the former case). Is
there a way to tell how much is on these chips? I know my PS/2 will take
72-pin SIMMS at no more than 2MB's each for a total of 8MB's RAM. Is there a
way to tell how much memory is on the SIMMS I have. They have 72 pins, with
for large chips, two medium and one center, small Texas Instruments chip.
They seem to be Samsung modules,

number: SEC  KMM5362209AU-6. There are four of them, which meks me think
that these were either 4X2MB's for 8MB's in or 386 system or 4x4MB's for
16MB's in our 586 system. Any guesses? Does it matter? Will it hurt to try
them?

Thanks, and, by the way, nice newsgroup!

Scott

begin 666 s.gif
M1TE&.#EA`0`!`)'_`/___P```,# P ```"'Y! $```(`+ `````!``$```("
$5 $`.P``
`
end

0
Forrest

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 02:30:04 UTC, "Forrest \"Scott\" Brinkley"
<fsb1284@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I just bought an IBM PS/2 P70 "sewing machine" case PC on eBay in it's
> original box, UNUSED!
> (eBay item# 5226052089)
>
> For this, I bought:
>
>  IBM MCA 92F0160 SCSI-2 Card (from an RS6000 server)
> (ebay item# 5179496534)

I didn't notice it was from an RS6000. This will mean that the BIOS on
it won't work, as it's not for a PC.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325; PS/2s 8595*3, 9595*3 (2*P60 + P90), 8535, 8570, 9556*2,
8580*6,
8557*2, 8550, 9577, 8530, P70, PC/AT..
http://www.tavi.co.uk
http://www.ardent-tool.org.uk

0
Bob
8/10/2005 7:16:21 AM
Hi...

> > I just bought an IBM PS/2 P70 "sewing machine" case PC on eBay in it's
> > original box, UNUSED!
> > (eBay item# 5226052089)
> >
> > For this, I bought:
> >
> >  IBM MCA 92F0160 SCSI-2 Card (from an RS6000 server)
> > (ebay item# 5179496534)
>
> I didn't notice it was from an RS6000. This will mean that the BIOS on
> it won't work, as it's not for a PC.

Bob, can't one just install the ROMs from a Tribble/Spock???

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/10/2005 8:04:58 AM
> Is there a way to tell how much is on these chips? I know my PS/2 will
take
> 72-pin SIMMS at no more than 2MB's each for a total of 8MB's RAM. Is there
> way to tell how much memory is on the SIMMS I have. They have 72 pins,
with
> for large chips, two medium and one center, small Texas Instruments chip.
> They seem to be Samsung modules,
>
> number: SEC  KMM5362209AU-6. There are four of them, which meks me think
> that these were either 4X2MB's for 8MB's in or 386 system or 4x4MB's for
> 16MB's in our 586 system. Any guesses? Does it matter? Will it hurt to try
> them?

A) it won't hurt to try, but you may get POST error codes or multiple
attempts to reconfigure memory, if the SIMMs are "lying" (in the sense that
the "presence detect" pins aren't giving PS/2 -compatible values). See the
EPRM (search for "EPRM" in this NG, I recently posted about it).

B) See my other post in this thread. You won't be able to use the SCSI
adapter without changing the BIOS ROMs, which may be easy, if the adapter is
effectively a Tribble- or Spock-like implementation.

C) Welcome to our group, we're a friendly, world-wide and technically expert
bunch, with wide-ranging interests. If you don't know something ask here for
a good chance of a sensible answer.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/10/2005 8:11:02 AM
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:04:58 UTC, "Tim Clarke"
<SpamBlock.Monetaim.Com@cswebmail.com> wrote:

> > I didn't notice it was from an RS6000. This will mean that the BIOS on
> > it won't work, as it's not for a PC.
>
> Bob, can't one just install the ROMs from a Tribble/Spock???

I'm sure you can...but he has to find those first...

I'm sure someone else has a PC version...in fact I probably have (but
I'm on the wrong continent....)

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325; PS/2s 8595*3, 9595*3 (2*P60 + P90), 8535, 8570, 9556*2,
8580*6,
8557*2, 8550, 9577, 8530, P70, PC/AT..
http://www.tavi.co.uk
http://www.ardent-tool.org.uk

0
Bob
8/10/2005 8:38:19 AM
Bob Eager schrieb:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:04:58 UTC, "Tim Clarke"
> <SpamBlock.Monetaim.Com@cswebmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>I didn't notice it was from an RS6000. This will mean that the BIOS on
>>>it won't work, as it's not for a PC.
>>
>>Bob, can't one just install the ROMs from a Tribble/Spock???

It's known as "Corvette" in the PS/2 world.
For machines supporting the corvette, the RS/6000 version works directly
(and vice versa).

AFAIK the P70 doesn't support this controller.
Other half-length SCSI card for the P70 is the Patriot. Much easier to
find than the late half-length Tribble, and the external SCSI connector
is standard.

--
Uli

0
Uli
8/10/2005 9:17:53 AM
Hi Bob, Uli...

> >>Bob, can't one just install the ROMs from a Tribble/Spock???
>
> It's known as "Corvette" in the PS/2 world.
> For machines supporting the corvette, the RS/6000 version works directly
> (and vice versa).
>
> AFAIK the P70 doesn't support this controller.
> Other half-length SCSI card for the P70 is the Patriot. Much easier to
> find than the late half-length Tribble, and the external SCSI connector
> is standard.

OK, I hadn't known that this was a "Corvette" type adapter, the
ROM-substitution works for Tribble/Spock type adapters. For a Corvette type
the PS/2 EEPROM "Flash ROM Update" would be the way to go:

http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/IBM_SCSI/Rev71upd.exe

I've only just noticed the following "later revision" file link and have NO
experience with it, so I won't recommend using it in the first place. Get
the thing up and running first with the PS/2 (Intel x86 really) Rev. 7.1
firmware/BIOS.

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/10/2005 9:30:44 AM
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:17:53 UTC, Uli Link
<VonRechts.NachLinks@usenet.arcornews.de> wrote:

> Bob Eager schrieb:

> >>Bob, can't one just install the ROMs from a Tribble/Spock???
>
> It's known as "Corvette" in the PS/2 world.
> For machines supporting the corvette, the RS/6000 version works directly
> (and vice versa).
>
> AFAIK the P70 doesn't support this controller.

The P70 should support any PS/2 full or half length controller, though.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325; PS/2s 8595*3, 9595*3 (2*P60 + P90), 8535, 8570, 9556*2,
8580*6,
8557*2, 8550, 9577, 8530, P70, PC/AT..
http://www.tavi.co.uk
http://www.ardent-tool.org.uk

0
Bob
8/10/2005 9:53:11 AM
Tim Clarke schrieb:

> OK, I hadn't known that this was a "Corvette" type adapter, the
> ROM-substitution works for Tribble/Spock type adapters. For a Corvette type
> the PS/2 EEPROM "Flash ROM Update" would be the way to go:
>
> http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/IBM_SCSI/Rev71upd.exe
>
> I've only just noticed the following "later revision" file link and have NO
> experience with it, so I won't recommend using it in the first place. Get
> the thing up and running first with the PS/2 (Intel x86 really) Rev. 7.1
> firmware/BIOS.

Not a matter of the fw level of the Corvette/4-7.
I have a 4-7 with fw .77 running in my Lacuna with Solaris x86 for more
than 2 years now. But all 95xx machines support the Corvette. For the
85xx machines only the later ones (i486, 32bit) support it. (8590, 8595
will accept a Corvette, perhaps more...)

On the Corvette's option disk, there is a batch for updating the
reference disks/partitions.

Only flash to .71 if the current level is below.
Problem: the Vital Product Data doesn't reflect the update in AIX if the
card was flashed under DOS.

--
Uli
0

I've used RS/6000 sourced Corvettes, and never had an issue.

As to the P70 and Corvette, well, it should be interesting. Pulling the
DBA ESDI drive out means that the controller goes as well (controller is
on drive) so it disappears from configuration (which is good!)

Folks have run the P70 with non-IBM SCSI controllers, so IMHO the
Corvette should work.

http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/8573/8573.html
http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/8573/8573-P70.html

It may prefer Panasonic memory in certain SIMM sockets.

Please report experiences to the group.

--
Reply to ohland@charter.net
0

I forgot to mention another source, "Dr." Jim Shorney's contribution to
the collective.

--
Reply to ohland@charter.net
0

Here's what I am predicting:

1) Install card.
2) Get system working (i.e. *.adf files on setup floppy, get system to boot
w/card in place)
3) Insert floppy with SCSI BIOS update, execute @ DOS prompt, then follow
instructions.

I'm also guessing that there will be a lot of fooling around with jumpers,
as was the case with an ISA SCSI controller card I set up on a 586 machine.

Does this make sense?
"Tim Clarke" <SpamBlock.Monetaim.Com@cswebmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Bob, Uli...

>> It's known as "Corvette" in the PS/2 world.
>> For machines supporting the corvette, the RS/6000 version works directly
>> (and vice versa).
>>
>> AFAIK the P70 doesn't support this controller.
>> Other half-length SCSI card for the P70 is the Patriot. Much easier to
>> find than the late half-length Tribble, and the external SCSI connector
>> is standard.
>
> OK, I hadn't known that this was a "Corvette" type adapter, the
> ROM-substitution works for Tribble/Spock type adapters. For a Corvette
> type
> the PS/2 EEPROM "Flash ROM Update" would be the way to go:
>
> http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/IBM_SCSI/Rev71upd.exe
>
> I've only just noticed the following "later revision" file link and have
> NO
> experience with it, so I won't recommend using it in the first place. Get
> the thing up and running first with the PS/2 (Intel x86 really) Rev. 7.1
> firmware/BIOS.
>
> --
> Regards,
>        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)
> .

0
Forrest
8/11/2005 3:15:19 AM
Hi Scott,
....> I'm also guessing that there will be a lot of fooling around
> with jumpers, as was the case with an ISA SCSI controller card I set up on
> a 586 machine...
     Free your mind. Jumpers (although on some cards) are an anathema to
microchannel. Welcome to the first sort of "Plug & Play".
                       David
                       David@IBMMuseum.com

0
David
8/11/2005 5:19:12 AM
Hi "Scott"...

> Thanks! I downloaded the file. Is this going to be one of those
> extract-to-floppy then boot and execute (the flash update) deals? What
> should I expect when I insert the SCSI controller card? Will the system
boot
> or will it hang? Should I need a *.adf file?
>
> Here's what I am predicting:
>
> 1) Install card.
> 2) Get system working (i.e. *.adf files on setup floppy, get system to
boot
> w/card in place)
> 3) Insert floppy with SCSI BIOS update, execute @ DOS prompt, then follow
> instructions.
>
> I'm also guessing that there will be a lot of fooling around with jumpers,
> as was the case with an ISA SCSI controller card I set up on a 586
machine.

> Does this make sense?

Sorry, I must have being having a brain malfunction, the "Firmware Rev. 7.1
*or* Rev. 7.7" has nothing to do with the SCSI BIOS but the operation of the
onboard controller and SCSI chipset. Leave that step out for the time being.

Although I'm saying DON'T bother with the Flash update at this time, it WILL
be a multi-step process:

1) preferably on another DOS or OS/2 system
2) copy/download REV71UPD.EXE to (for example) C:\TEMP
3) under DOS or OS2 or Win9n execute/run REV71UPD.EXE and hit Return until
it asks you to reply "Y" this will then create the DOS BOOTABLE Flash Update
Diskette on a scratch 1.44MB diskette in A: (doesn't have to be formatted)
4) write-protect the diskette *immediately* after it has been created
without doing a DIR, Explore or anything on it, especially under Win9n
(**definitely** for Reference Diskettes as Win9n corrupts critical bytes in
the boot sector which will render a Reference Diskette unusable)
5) BOOT the target system with the adapter installed and configured, WITH
the Flash Update Diskette in A:
6) follow the on-screen prompts to Flash the firmware on the adapter

There are few, if any, jumpers associated with MicroChannel adapters, that's
the beauty of the design. PnP before the term was even coined.

To try to get it working with the P70's SCSI BIOS (possibly in the System
BIOS) I would recommend that you get a copy of the most recent ADF from:

http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/IBM_SCSI/ibm_scsi.html

NOTE: there are TWO RS/6000 "Corvette" class adapters the F/W SCSI-2
(Single-Ended) and the Differential F/W SCSI-2 (EXTERNAL Differential SCSI,
INTERNAL Single-Ended SCSI). Make sure you know which you have before
attaching EXTERNAL devices as "Differential SCSI" is high-voltage and a
completely different interface to what most people are used to. It's used
for longer SCSI-2 external cabling purposes. It may fry an Single-Ended SCSI
device's logic board if you attach it EXTERNALly.

Anyway, copy the correct ADFs to the Reference Diskette using "Copy an
Option Diskette" after booting the system with the COPY of the Reference
Diskette (ensure this is not write-protected) you may also need the COPY of
the Diagnostic Diskette (if it is separate from the Reference Diskette,
again not write-protected) as well to complete the process. Then you can
enter "Set Configuration" to do the following:

1) Disable all "Wide" options (F5/F6)
2) Set "Combined" not "Separate" (F5/F6)
3) Ensure no conflicting resource selections ("*" will show to the right of
any such)
4) Press F10 to "Save to NVRAM"
5) Press F3 and, possibly then Enter to ensure the values really are "Saved
to NVRAM" until Reboot prompt is displayed
6) Reboot by confirmation with fingers firmly crossed!!!  ;-)

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/11/2005 8:46:10 AM
Peter changed his url, so here they are.
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/adf/@8efc.adf
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/adf/c8efc.adf
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/jpg/8efc_1.jpg

Update your P70 refdisk so SCSI diags will be more current
http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/video/xga_files.html

The specific file you need:
http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/video/xgaopt.exe

--
Reply to ohland@charter.net
0

ADFs fixed now.

--
Reply to ohland@charter.net
0

I think this is a better way to update the P70 refdisk for the Corvette
than with the XGAOPT file.
--
Reply to ohland@charter.net
0

--
Reply to ohland@charter.net
0
> http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/IBM_SCSI/SCSI-FW.html
>
> ADFs fixed now.

What a "trooper"!!!  ;-)

--
Regards,
        Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
8/11/2005 1:10:43 PM
Just a tool of the system, Tim.

--
Reply to ohland@charter.net
0

Brand new IBM branded PS/2 mice
Have around 80 of them for $2.50 each or $2.25 in lots over 10. Shipping additional and depnds on the number purchased. Can ship US mail, UPS ground. Payment by money order or Paypal only. Contact me direct at rhb57-at-alltel.net (swap the "-at-" with "@") BTW these are the slim 2 button ones that somewhat taper in the back, not the old clunky tan and brown ones of the PS/2 era. These are all light beiger (aka white) and in their plastic sleeves. "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@rbcsweb.net> wrote in message news:1066503409.571133@cache1... > ...

Auction: IBM PS/2 76 486 Brand new Never used keys attached NR
Bermuda. http://search.ebay.com/270127380293 End time: Jun-11-07 19:37:11 PDT I've never seen one of those display the "diskette and F1" prompt before...weird. William Surely you jest. The classic sign of a lost configuration or where the HD was LLFd with no operating system present. wm_walsh@hotmail.com wrote: > I've never seen one of those display the "diskette and F1" prompt > before...weird. > > William > I9990302 is what I'd have expected from a late model PS/2. I've seen plenty of early models (25, 30, 55SX, 70, 80, maybe even the P75) display the "insert boot floppy, press F1" animation. William On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 09:30:55 -0500, Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net> wrote: >Bermuda. > >http://search.ebay.com/270127380293 >End time: Jun-11-07 19:37:11 PDT Well I bidded on it. Can't resist a brand new bermuda. Unfortunately there are others who can't either. I don't mind though. I still have one of my own like new. EZoto Mod. 76 specs: 9576-DU6/DUA, 104M/208M-2G 12ms seek scsi, 486SX-33 upgr. to 486DX2-66, 8/32 RAM, XGA-2, ~$1500, Aug 1993 > I9990302 is what I'd have expected from a late model PS/2. Recently I had to replace the failed disk on Mod. 57 SLC3 and perhaps it also displayed the red stop sign, I don't remember exactly. On checking the Mod. 76 specs, I came across a note on Mod. 57'...

Auction: IBM PS2 PS/2 Vintage Server Collectible sys 8595-0KF (William!! It's a xKx!!!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270237772168 Starting bid: US $59.00 End time: May-22-08 09:23:51 PDT (6 days 19 hours) Ships to: Worldwide Item location: Holliston/Boston, MA, United States You are bidding on a IBM PS2 PS/2 Vintage Server Collectible sys 8595-0KF. This has been test and in working condition. This is not really intended to be used as a computer, rather a collectible piece of IBM history. Unit IS WORKING, and cosmetically in great shape It has a 1.44 floppy and NO Hard drive and would require very specific ones if you were to go the route. (IBM older SCSI- example 85F0011, 85F0012) Proc is a 486 DX-33 FRU 64F0198 Has Internal/Ext SCSI Controller w/ Cache FRU# 85F0063 Has 8MB of RAM Has an XGA Monitor Card and requires XGA IBM Monitors System Board we believe to be FRU 33F5717 Power Supply we believe to be 92F0051 No Keyboard or Mouse. No affiliation -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com I'm looking for a 95*85*-xKx/xNx. But you should have seen how my heart skipped a beat! Thanks for pointing it out. :-) The shipping's not too far off, so if it ends without a bidder, I will probably ask about it. William "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> schreef in b...

Auction: IBM PS/2 XGA-2 Adapter WOW New in Box MCA Microchannel!
As it stands right now, it's got a bidder who would give it a good home...but it's new in box...when is the last time you saw that? http://search.ebay.com/200183160525 $9.99 current bid. 11 hours, ~30 minutes left. Located in Auburn, WA USA. Ships worldwide. PayPal, MO, CC, personal check... For the record, the "new XGA" refers to a display resolution. There are SXGA, WXGA and maybe even a WUXGA (!!!). Bonus--don't forget to ask for your picture of the goats and chickens. They're amazing as per the seller. It will **not** work in a PS/2 Model 50...at least not with the stock 286 CPU installed. (Never did try a 50 with the 386SX upgrade...) You can put the card in, but the machine won't even power up. William On Dec 17, 9:20 am, wm_wa...@hotmail.com wrote: > As it stands right now, it's got a bidder who would give it a good > home...but it's new in box...when is the last time you saw that? > > http://search.ebay.com/200183160525 > > $9.99 current bid. 11 hours, ~30 minutes left. Located in Auburn, WA > USA. Ships worldwide. PayPal, MO, CC, personal check... > Gee, thanks for the announcement. Probably didn't matter, but anyway eBay says, "You've been outbid. Bid again before it's too late!" :-( Not that I *needed* another XGA-2. Oh well - hopefully the buyer isn't planning to run it in their model 50, eh? ;-) 44+ minutes left. My intention w...

Auction: VINTAGE NEW IBM PS/2 MCA Microchannel Dual VGA OUT Card #2
Here's another one. Artist Graphics Winsprint 1000i. http://search.ebay.com/220090432947 Wish it did high color, but it's got some serious horsepower in the resolution department. I've never run it past 1280x1024, but it looks to be capable of 256 colors at 1600x1200 resolution with a 75Hz vertical refresh rate. It's also quite fast. It is *not* a dual head adapter, however. The second connector takes a display passthrough from your base video card. A straight through male/male VGA cable (or doing without being able to see base video output) works fine. Louis saved the drivers (at least for NT4) from oblivion. He got the others (Win 3.1x, OS/2, Win95) but I never have tried them. Buy it now $19.99 + $7.50 shipping in the US. Ships worldwide. Ends Mar-15-2007 16:53:00 PDT. No affiliation. William <wm_walsh@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1173811276.300597.252150@30g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Here's another one. Artist Graphics Winsprint 1000i. > > http://search.ebay.com/220090432947 > > Wish it did high color, but it's got some serious horsepower in the > resolution department. I've never run it past 1280x1024, but it looks > to be capable of 256 colors at 1600x1200 resolution with a 75Hz > vertical refresh rate. It's also quite fast. It is *not* a dual head > adapter, however. The second connector takes a display passthrough > from your base video card. A strai...

[auction US] IBM PS/2 Hardware Interface Tech. Ref. Blue Book MINT #2
System Specific Info. Models 50,55SX60,65SX,70,90,95 <http://search.ebay.com/130086518753> [Ends march 11th, 2007] Louis, This seller is trying to drive you nuts by releasing his goodies bit by bit. Regards, Alvin. I'm on it. Alvin Andries wrote: > System Specific Info. Models 50,55SX60,65SX,70,90,95 > > <http://search.ebay.com/130086518753> > [Ends march 11th, 2007] > > Louis, > > This seller is trying to drive you nuts by releasing his goodies bit by bit. > > Regards, > Alvin. > > Damn it, Gerd, YOU buy it and YOU scan it. Louis Ohland wrote: > I'm on it. > > Alvin Andries wrote: >> System Specific Info. Models 50,55SX60,65SX,70,90,95 >> >> <http://search.ebay.com/130086518753> >> [Ends march 11th, 2007] >> >> Louis, >> >> This seller is trying to drive you nuts by releasing his goodies bit >> by bit. >> >> Regards, >> Alvin. >> >> "Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message news:eUWIh.32$2A3.26@newsfe02.lga... > Damn it, Gerd, YOU buy it and YOU scan it. > > Louis Ohland wrote: > > I'm on it. > > > > Alvin Andries wrote: > >> System Specific Info. Models 50,55SX60,65SX,70,90,95 > >> > >> <http://search.ebay.com/130086518753> > >> [Ends march ...

IBM PS/2 : ftp.pc.ibm.com is closing down (or is it?)
Hi all, Browsing along I stumbled on this ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/special Watch for the warning Then look at the filedate Let's see what happens tomorrow . . . . -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/special/cdtfiles/ Looks to be stuff on 65xx series here. JWR wrote: > Hi all, > > Browsing along I stumbled on this > > ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/special > > Watch for the warning > > Then look at the filedate > > Let's see what happens tomorrow . . . . > ...

IBM PS 2 P70 Request
I have IBM PS 2 P70 which boots to 163 error. I have replaced battery with CR-P2 Panasonic. I checked and battery read 6V. With ref disk rfp70a in hand I booted. Disk made noise, light lit---nothing. It appears as if the disk drive either can't read or won't read or I don't have any idea. If I hit F1, the machine would boot of C:\ just fine. Respectfully request to know what you all might recommend for my next procedure to get this P70 fully functional. The screen at boot shows 163 ----> paper---->IBM Anyone? v/r cary On Jul 30, 9:28 pm, st...@yahoo.com wrote: > I have IBM PS 2 P70 which boots to 163 error. I have replaced battery > with CR-P2 Panasonic. I checked and battery read 6V. With ref disk > rfp70a in hand I booted. Disk made noise, light lit---nothing. It > appears as if the disk drive either can't read or won't read or I > don't have any idea. If I hit F1, the machine would boot of C:\ just > fine. Respectfully request to know what you all might recommend for > my next procedure to get this P70 fully functional. > > The screen at boot shows 163 ----> paper---->IBM > > Anyone? > > v/r > cary The P70 floppy drive has a history of malfunctioning. I have replaced several of them and a common ailment is the plastic part that latches the disk in place when it is inserted. If you carefully remove the drive cover and insert the disk, it will p...

Auction: 2 PC mice mouse 1 serial 1 PS/2 PS / 2 IBM save them! ;)
Included primarily for humor purposes. To keep it somewhat on topic, one is an IBM "soap bar" mouse. I think it's pretty funny. Quoting directly from the listing: "What you're bidding on: 2 PC Mice, cheap. All are tested and working. Save these from the dumpster." http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140076586464 Ends Jan-25-07 Starting bid $1.25, shipping $4.50. Ships to US and Canada from Fort Plain, NY. No affiliation. William ...

Auction: IBM PS/2 Model 80 386 OS/2 SCSI Keyboard Mouse PS/2 TV
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220111146098 Starting bid: US $10.00 End time: May-15-07 08:07:28 PDT (4 days 19 hours) Shipping costs: US $55.00 Ships to: United States Item location: Atlanta, Georgia, United States This is a working PS/2 system with everything except the VGA monitor: PS/2 8580 386 with 120MB SCSI Hard Drive and Floppy Disk, 12MB RAM) IBM Model M keyboard (which is new) and mouse (original) IBM PS/2 TV Unit with power supply. A rare option, allows for viewing and tuning TV PIP on the desktop. OS/2 is installed on the machine (and works). Also includes an unopened copy of OS/2 Warp. No affiliation -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com ...

My IBM PS/2 P70 Site has Launched!
Hello All: Some months ago, I solicited the help of posters to this newsgroup after purchasing a brand new PS/2 P70. It's up and running and, after some significant upgrading it's usable, too :) Here is a link to the site I've dedicated to this great machine: http://home.earthlink.net/~fsb1284/ps2p70 Enjoy! And there's more to come... FSB Hi! It looks like a good start to me! If I happen to think of it, I'll update my links page with a link to your page if you don't mind. http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/complinks.htm William It's amazing that you got a color screen on that one.... ;-) What a masochist. Putting the long uncached SCSI/A in there with a flat ribbon cable. Forrest "Scott" Brinkley wrote: > Hello All: > > Some months ago, I solicited the help of posters to this newsgroup after > purchasing a brand new PS/2 P70. It's up and running and, after some > significant upgrading it's usable, too :) > > Here is a link to the site I've dedicated to this great machine: > > http://home.earthlink.net/~fsb1284/ps2p70 > > Enjoy! And there's more to come... > > FSB > > > > If I happen to think of it, I'll update my links page with a link to your > page if you don't mind. > I do not mind! In fact the publicity would be nice:) Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net> wrote in &l...

IBM PS/2 Model P70 (luggable)
Hello folks, Am looking for a replacement floppy drive unit for my luggable. Currently has OS/2 installed on a 60MB ESDI drive. I want to wipe the drive and install an alternate OS but need a good working floppy. Does anyone out there have a replacement to offer? We live in MN. Also, if someone can help with where-to-find a SCSI adapter so that we can upgrade to internal SCSI drive, that information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Martin Adams on ebay has 8555 floppies which are an exact fit. You can use 2.88MB floppy drives, but be careful which model. The floppy cable isn't all that long and the floppy connector on the drive should be on the side towards the case. I recommend a Future Domain MCS-700 or the IBM SCSI-2 controller (FD MCS-700 OEM'd for IBM) http://www.gilanet.com/ohlandl/SCSI/MCS.html#MCS-600_700 Mason Storm wrote: > Hello folks, > > Am looking for a replacement floppy drive unit for my luggable. Currently > has OS/2 installed on a 60MB ESDI drive. > > I want to wipe the drive and install an alternate OS but need a good working > floppy. Does anyone out there have a replacement to offer? We live in MN. > > Also, if someone can help with where-to-find a SCSI adapter so that we can > upgrade to internal SCSI drive, that information would be greatly > appreciated. > > Thanks! > > > If you want to add a power connector to the IBM v...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Pe...

IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Expr
IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2, other IBM DB2 (32 bit, 64 bit) (MULTiOS, Windows, Linux, Solaris), IBM iSoft Commerce Suite Server Enterprise v3.2.01, IBM Tivoli Storage Resource Manager Express Edition v1.3.2 Win, IBM Tivoli System Automation v1.2.0 Linux, IBM Tivoli Workload Scheduler Virtualized Data Centers v8.2 [2 CDs], other IBM Tivoli CDs, WEBSPHERE EVERYPLACE MOBILE PORTAL v5.0 - ALTIUM [2 CDs], other IBM WebSphere Business CDs (Windows, Linux) CDs, IBM Integration Server v5.1 [2 CDs], IBM Telecom Toolkit for WebSphere Studio V1.3.5, IBM Frame2000 V5.5, Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 [5 CDs] for DB2 UDB for OS/390, and for DB2 UDB for Unix, Macromedia ColdFusion MX V6.0.1 for IBM WebSphere Application Server, Macromedia ColdFusion MX for J2EE, other IBM DB2 Connect Enterprise Edition v8.2 17/Sep/2004 WEBSPHERE BUSINESS INTEGRATION CONNECT ADVANCED v4.2.2 - IBM CD NR 16 297 DW v1.2 DB2 UDB Enterprise Edition V7.2.10a - IBM Tivoli CD NR 16 110 IBM DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition v8.2 16 053 Peoplesoft Peopletools v8.45 - Peoplesoft [5 CDs] 16 029 Sybase:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-456rm4 Microsoft SQL Server:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-457py4 DB2 UDB for OS/390:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-45auo5 Oracle:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-452o1s Informix:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-453x5w DB2 UDB for Unix, NT:524953-454f57-4e53594-f55123-454yc...

[...]

Auction: IBM PS/2 L40 SX PS-2 Vintage Computer
L40SX are always interesting... http://search.ebay.com/320196297042 Starting bid of $39.95. $25.00 shipping and gouging to the US only. Located in Dallas, TX USA. Ends Dec-20-07, 15:04:25 PST (3 days, 5 five hours). Money order, cashier's check, credit card, PayPal, 14 day hold on personal checks. Item is for sale outside of eBay as well (is that allowed?) and the listing may end if it isn't bid on. No affiliation. William ...

IBM PS/2 (Type 8535, 8540)/IBM ValuePoint
Applicable to: World-Wide Symptom: The 8535, 8540 or 6384 diskette drive fails to read, write or format. The failures may be intermittent or solid. The diskette drive diagnostics run without error. Problem Isolation Aids: This tip applies to IBM Non-Micro channel systems with EMM386 and a Busmaster adapter installed. This tip does not apply to ValuePoint 6382/S or 6384/D with flash EEPROM level 51A (L6ET51AUS) or higher. Either of the following methods may be utilised to determine if there is a compatibility problem with EMM386* memory manager and the Busmaster option adapter: 1. Removed EMM386 or 2. Remove the Busmaster option adapter. If in doubt as to which adapter is a Busmaster. Remove all option adapters. If the diskette drive failures continue after removing EMM386 or removing the option adapters, this tip does not apply. Note: Other memory manager software which operates similar to EMM386 may also require the Zero_DMA.SYS driver. Fix: If the diskette drive functions correctly after removing any Busmaster adapters or removing EMM386, the customer should install device driver ZERO_DMA.SYS. The device driver should be copied to the root directory, and the following statement should be added as the first line in the CONFIG.SYS file: DEVICE=ZERO_DMA.SYS ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/valuepnt/zero_dma.zip http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/876e.htm ...

IBM P70 PS/2 Type 8573-061
Hello all: Thanks for your suggestions on my machine! The floppy issue seems to be something related to the speed (rpm) of the diskette in the drive as it's being read. With the cover off and the drive spinning (in vain) trying to read the disk, a light touch will most always get it spinning at the "right" rpm and it will read properly. The platter on the bottom seems to have a magnet at a position on the platter which flies past a transistorized sensor (black in color ,toward bottom front) which I assume measures rotational velocity? Whatever the case, this "sensor" has an adjustment, which I plan on playing with. The unit, while new, IS 17 years old and I assume things could easily deteriorate over this time period. I am more concerned with getting my HP LaserJet 4 (with a HP JetDirect card installed) to be able to talk via TCP/IP to WFW 3.11, which I currently have on this machine. I fear this topic is for another newsgroup, though! Scott ...

Auction: IBM PS/2 Model 70 386 Desktop/Monitor / Orig IBM Disks+
>http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-PS-2-Model-70-386-Desktop-Monitor-Orig-IBM-Disks_W0QQitemZ320001240757QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< End time: Jul-02-06 09:15:29 PDT IBM PS/2 Model 70 Desktop (Type 8570) with IBM VGA Monitor (Type 8513001) Specifications: * CPU: Intel 80386 16 MHz * Internal memory: 1 MB * Hard-drive: 60 MB * Floppy drive: 1.44 MB * Expansion slots: 3-MC (Micro Channel) Louis Ohland wrote: > >http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-PS-2-Model-70-386-Desktop-Monitor-Orig-IBM-Disks_W0QQitemZ320001240757QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4193QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< > > End time: Jul-02-06 09:15:29 PDT > > IBM PS/2 Model 70 Desktop (Type 8570) with IBM VGA Monitor (Type > 8513001) Specifications: > > * CPU: Intel 80386 16 MHz > * Internal memory: 1 MB > * Hard-drive: 60 MB > * Floppy drive: 1.44 MB > * Expansion slots: 3-MC (Micro Channel) Hmmm, if I knew I be driving by the 'Center of the Earth', I'd bid on it. Jim Hall wrote: > Hmmm, if I knew I be driving by the 'Center of the Earth', I'd bid on it. I've got my eyes on it. Been looking for a good 70 for a while. --Daniel ...

IBM PS/2 Hardware Maintenance Ref Manuals auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2788469139 Feb-23-04 15:11:03 PST -- Reply to me at louis little punctuation mark ohland with the same ISP Thank you Louis........ CT the Bookworm ...

Auction:IBM PS/2 Display Adapter 8514/A
http://search.ebay.com/320098450414 Sealed in the IBM box. Ends Apr-05-07 17:00:00 PDT. Ships to the US, Canada and Europe. Located in Framingham, MA USA. No affiliation, but I may have some interest in it. William On 30 Mar 2007 11:33:11 -0700, wm_walsh@hotmail.com wrote: > No affiliation, but I may have some interest in it. I have an Image Adapter/A NIB for the curios. Also cheap! -- CL +----------------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Address, Mail / Ship: | | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St | | cl@ncdm.com | Pawtucket RI 02860-6114 | +----------------------------------------------+ ...

Web resources about - IBM PS/2 P70 purchased brand new! - comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware

New Facebook Country Metrics Expose Pages That Purchased Likes
In an effort to get a leg up on Facebook marketing, many like-obsessed pages resort to buying fans — fake profiles which only exist to boost ...

A $ign of Things to Come? Facebook Ads and Credits Can Now be Purchased in 14 New Currencies
Although Facebook has tens of thousands of advertisers using its self-serve Facebook Ads system and millions of users buying Facebook Credits ...

Our emergency kit at the ready. We purchased it for earthquakes when we lived in San Francisco and luckily ...
Our emergency kit at the ready. We purchased it for earthquakes when we lived in San Francisco and luckily ...

2008 Obama: Health Care Should "Never Be Purchased With Tax Increases On Middle Class Families." - YouTube ...
At a Campaign rally in 2008, Obama said that health care should not purchased with a tax increase (October 4, 2008).

The English island mansion reportedly purchased by George and Amal Clooney
It's rumoured the Clooneys have bought the 17th century Aberlash House, situated on it's own island on the River Thames.

The English island mansion reportedly purchased by George and Amal Clooney
It's rumoured the Clooneys have bought the 17th century Aberlash House, situated on it's own island on the River Thames.

The English island mansion reportedly purchased by George and Amal Clooney
It's rumoured the Clooneys have bought the 17th century Aberlash House, situated on it's own island on the River Thames.

The English island mansion reportedly purchased by George and Amal Clooney
It's rumoured the Clooneys have bought the 17th century Aberlash House, situated on it's own island on the River Thames.

Man given two weeks to live after taking popular weight-loss product purchased online
A Western Australian man has told how he lost his liver after taking popular weight-loss products widely available in protein powders and supplements. ...