Model 25 (ISA) external 5.25" floppy drive help wanted.

Hi folks,

I have recently acquired a brand new in box Model 25 (8225-L01 -- 8086)
with a single internal 720kb floppy, and a used Model 25-286 (8525-L30)
with a single internal 1.44mb floppy.

I'm trying to figure out how to get an external 5.25" drive going with
one of these two machines.   It's unfortunate that you can't just
disable the internal FDCs and use something else.

I have a single 4869-001 360kb drive with long cable.

No adapters or other gizmos.

Ideally, I'd *like* to be able to boot from the 5.25" drive for CP/M
use.

I've read older posts, but they mostly pertain to the MCA machines, or
1.2mb.. which don't apply in my case.

Any advice or parts for sale would be appreciated.

~ J

0
mdnttrain

I once had a 25 or 30 of some sort that had an adapter for external floppy
disk drives.  The cable had a card edge connector on one end and a slot
plate with DB-37 connector.  It connected to the 2nd floppy disk drive
connetor on the floppy cable and then to a slot plate opening.  Maybe you
can find one of those.

I hope this helps.

<mdnttrain@aol.com> wrote in message

> Hi folks,
>
> I have recently acquired a brand new in box Model 25 (8225-L01 -- 8086)
> with a single internal 720kb floppy, and a used Model 25-286 (8525-L30)
> with a single internal 1.44mb floppy.
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to get an external 5.25" drive going with
> one of these two machines.   It's unfortunate that you can't just
> disable the internal FDCs and use something else.
>
> I have a single 4869-001 360kb drive with long cable.
>
> No adapters or other gizmos.
>
> Ideally, I'd *like* to be able to boot from the 5.25" drive for CP/M
> use.
>
> I've read older posts, but they mostly pertain to the MCA machines, or
> 1.2mb.. which don't apply in my case.
>
> Any advice or parts for sale would be appreciated.
>
> ~ J

0
Model
5/10/2005 3:55:29 AM
Hi.  Thanks for your reply.  Yea, something like that would be very
useful if I can find it.   I think the Procom PXF floppy drives
connected the way you are describing.

The IBM adaptor card for this purpose only gives to a B: drive, I am
led to believe from what I've read.   Whereas this cable method you are
talking about might give a better chance at actually being able to boot
from a 5.25" drive.

0
mdnttrain