More problems, Model 90 this time

The recycler I got the PS/2 30-286 emailed me about having a couple
more IBM units so I went and snagged them. One is a PS/2 60 I have not
even looked at yet, and a Model 90 XP 486 (8590-0J9).

I should have taken a picture of the 90 before I vacuumed it, never
seen a machine that was 100% full of dust bunnies. After I cleaned it
up a little I started poking around inside, there is no HD or sled and
the coin type battery had started leaking (a first for me). Doesn't
look like anything leaked into the board, just some crystals in the
battery socket which I cleaned out and installed another battery
into.

The machine boots to this:

00017300 (set config features I think)
00016300 (date and time?)

I asumed this is a type 1 system (0J9 486DX/25) so I grabbed the type
1 setup floppy but the system doesn't seem to do anything with it and
those 2 errors keep me from getting into the configuration setup or
doing anything else.

Thinking the floppy might still be dirty I installed the only other
(known working) drive with pins from the Model 30 and I get those 2
errors as before plus 00060400 (unsupported drive?). I do have a
2.44MB out of a Model 95 I could try but I do not know if that will
blow anything up. All my other systems take the drives with the edge
connector instead of pins. Should I take the original floppy apart and
clean it more or do those models have the same issues (bad caps) the
edge connector drives (like in my model 80) have? I did run a wet
cleaning floppy in it. There is a floppy based tape drive installed,
but I don't think that is causing any problem (floppy drive is on the
A connector).

Can you configure the system without a HD installed (the setup is
saved on the HD)? What model sled do I need for the 90 to mount a HD
in? I asume I need a 1GB or smaller drive on that system?

I am hoping to get this thing working so I can install my only MCA
sound card and use it. Will a CDROM fit in the bottom right bay? The
tape drive is in the top right bay with the proper bezel.

0
Powermac

Hi!

> I should have taken a picture of the 90 before I vacuumed it, never
> seen a machine that was 100% full of dust bunnies.

That seems to be common for the Model 90.

> 00017300 (set config features I think)

Configuration not valid (or complex error).

> 00016300 (date and time?)

System options not set. So yeah, it needs to be configured.

> I asumed this is a type 1 system (0J9 486DX/25) so I grabbed the type
> 1 setup floppy but the system doesn't seem to do anything with it and
> those 2 errors keep me from getting into the configuration setup or
> doing anything else.

You should not assume anything about what complex is in the system. Someone
could have changed it. Still, the reference disk should start up and tell
you that it is the wrong one for the system. Find out which one you really
have.

http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/complexes/Complex_ID.html

> Thinking the floppy might still be dirty I installed the only other
> (known working) drive with pins from the Model 30 and I get those 2
> errors as before plus 00060400 (unsupported drive?). I do have a
> 2.44MB out of a Model 95 I could try but I do not know if that will
> blow anything up.

The biggest thing to watch for is the "*" marking on the eject button of a
given drive. I've never seen those type of drives used in anything outside
of the Models 76 and 77. A "*" marked drive could kill the floppy controller
in your Model 90.

An 8530 drive from the XT version of the system won't work and might not be
supported because it is only capable of using 720K media. The 1.44MB drive
from a 30-286 should work. Since I needed to have it running quickly, I put
a 2.88 non-* drive in a Model 30-286 and it worked fine for 720K and 1.44MB
diskettes.

You should clean the drive and make sure it's not mechanically stuck. The
later drives appear to be much more reliable than the older ones, and the
dust shutter certainly helps. Nearly every problem I've had with a 2.88MB
drive had to do with dust or something jamming the mechanism. At the moment,
I've only seen one drive with electronic failure--a Mitsubishi 2.88MB unit
that will turn on its activity light while the motors in it do nothing.

> Can you configure the system without a HD installed (the setup is
> saved on the HD)?

With certain complexes, the actual working BIOS is stored on the hard disk.
If you don't have one, the system will go looking for its BIOS on the floppy
drive. Since your floppy drive does not seem to work, and you are getting
POST error codes (indicating the presence of a working BIOS), you must have
a complex that has an onboard ROM and a complete BIOS stored in it. Failure
to find a BIOS on a systme that loads it from some disk results in an
I999.... series error.

> What model sled do I need for the 90 to mount a HD in? I asume I need a
1GB or
> smaller drive on that system?

I believe that a sled from a 55SX would work, although the mounting holes
won't be in the right place. You'll have to drill some new ones for a
non-IBM (or later IBM) drive.

The hard disk could be up to 8GB in size if the microcode levels on the SCSI
adapter and complex are new enough. A 1GB drive should be a safe starting
point until you can be certain where the limit would be.

> I am hoping to get this thing working so I can install my only MCA
> sound card and use it. Will a CDROM fit in the bottom right bay? The
> tape drive is in the top right bay with the proper bezel.

I've never tried to use the bottom right bay for that purpose. It might work
and there shouldn't be any harm in trying it.

William

0
William
11/17/2009 7:47:34 AM
William R. Walsh wrote:

http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/9590/9590_Planar.html

>> 00016300 (date and time?)

Correct.

http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/errors/error_02.htm

>> Can you configure the system without a HD installed (the setup is
>> saved on the HD)?

Yes you can. With the J complex, you will need the refdisk to boot with.

>> I asume I need a 1GB or smaller drive on that system?

Depends on the SCSI controller and BIOS of complex. Assuming you have a
version of Spock, it all boils down to the SCSI BIOS, 92F2244 and
92F2245 will upgrade all versions of Spock to >1GB IML drive capable.

http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/IBM_SCSI/SCSI-C.html Spock
http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/IBM_SCSI/SCSI-C.html#Complex_BIOS+1GB

http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/complexes/Type1.html#J_486DX-25
http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/complexes/Type1.html#IML_From+1GB

Now this controller comes with the 44/45 BIOS and is a bit smaller than
SPOCK.

IBM MCA Fast Wide SCSI-2 Adapter /A FRU 92F0160
http://search.ebay.com/150105391034

http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/IBM_SCSI/SCSI-FW.html
http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/IBM_SCSI/scsi_layout.html

>> Will a CDROM fit in the bottom right bay? The tape drive is in the top right bay with the proper bezel.

Sorry, the bottom bays are for 3.5" devices only. The CD fits in the top
right bay ony, or use an external one if the tape drive is near and dear
to you.
0
Louis
11/17/2009 1:50:29 PM