New additions and lacking of space ... RS/6000 stuff

Hi again !
Today I added the following stuff to my collection

RS/6000 7011-220. I haven't tested or opened it yet, on the back it has a
VGA like connector.

7210-001 IBM SCSI external CD

7208-341 IBM Tape drive

The 7208 with kind of tapes does it use ?
0
supervinx

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:16:55 +0800, supervinx wrote:

> RS/6000 7011-220. I haven't tested or opened it yet, on the back it has
> a VGA like connector.

you will probably find that the -220 is a very slow system, doesn't
remember what's the latest release it could run (maybe even aix 5.1) but
i think you will be better sticking with an old release like 3.2.5 or
4.1 (if you need a copy just ask).
If my memory is right it's based around the RSC processor, a single chip
implementation of the first Power processor (well, sort of, the rsc was
lacking some feature compared to Power).

> 7210-001 IBM SCSI external CD

1X (150kb/s) cdrom with caddy

> 7208-341 IBM Tape drive
>
> The 7208 with kind of tapes does it use ?

It's an 8mm "mammoth" drive, i think an exabyte exb-8900
20Gb native, 40Gb compressed capacity.
use 8mm AME 170m tape, it will write other AME tape (like the 125mm/14Gb)
but only read the oldest 8mm MP tape (classic 8mm 2/4/5/7Gb media).

not the fastest tape on earth to backup 20Gb of data (3mb/s, on pair with
dds-4), plenty of tape (used or new) on ebay for cheap (ok, maybe cheap
compared to the price of the media for my lto-2 drive).

--
member of the italian hobbyist DECnet network - decnet.ipv7.net
www.unsupported.info - img.unixantichrist.net
"sadness" <trash@unsupported.info> wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:16:55 +0800, supervinx wrote:
>> The 7208 with kind of tapes does it use ?
>
> It's an 8mm "mammoth" drive, i think an exabyte exb-8900
> 20Gb native, 40Gb compressed capacity.
> use 8mm AME 170m tape, it will write other AME tape (like the 125mm/14Gb)
> but only read the oldest 8mm MP tape (classic 8mm 2/4/5/7Gb media).
>
> not the fastest tape on earth to backup 20Gb of data (3mb/s, on pair with
> dds-4), plenty of tape (used or new) on ebay for cheap (ok, maybe cheap
> compared to the price of the media for my lto-2 drive).

I think I have the black version of that drive, have yet to get tapes for it
since they are more expensive then DAT DDS 4 tapes on ebay.

 It is HVD so be carefull what SCSI card you plug it into.

0
TeoZ
11/25/2009 5:20:54 AM
I have another 7011 220, without local graphics.

Yes, it's a RSC machine, 80 MHz.
Oddly, there's a sticker claiming PowerPC...

I was interested to the IBM CD and to the IBM tape drive ... the 7011 220
was a bonus ;-)
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 7:44:59 AM
I have some DDS-2 and DDS-3 tapes, but they are too small for the
7208 ... they're not right ;-)
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 8:33:12 AM
On Nov 25, 3:33=A0am, supervinx <superv...@libero.it> wrote:
> I have some DDS-2 and DDS-3 tapes, but they are too small for the
> 7208 ... they're not right ;-)

DDS are 4MM, right?  http://ps-2.kev009.com:8081/cgi-bin/search?query=3D720=
8-341
for info on the tape unit (or most old rs/6k gear for the matter).
0
Kevin
11/25/2009 8:48:02 AM
supervinx schrieb:
> I have another 7011 220, without local graphics.
>
> Yes, it's a RSC machine, 80 MHz.
> Oddly, there's a sticker claiming PowerPC...

That would be a 250, not a 220.

0
Michael
11/25/2009 10:03:53 AM
supervinx schrieb:
> I have some DDS-2 and DDS-3 tapes, but they are too small for the
> 7208 ... they're not right ;-)

Of course, it's an entirely different technology.

0
Michael
11/25/2009 10:06:51 AM
Il Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:03:53 +0100, Michael Kraemer ha scritto:

> supervinx schrieb:
>> I have another 7011 220, without local graphics.
>>
>> Yes, it's a RSC machine, 80 MHz.
>> Oddly, there's a sticker claiming PowerPC...
>
> That would be a 250, not a 220.

On the back there's the sticker 7011 220, on the front a PowerPC adhesive
and, opening the front panel another 80MHz sticker ... bah ...

I can't open it ... no keys ... and it's locked on normal, not service ...
In the front panel there's a dummy key with a number, may be to order a
new pair ;-)

There's a gentle way to open it ?

Or I must drill the lock ?
0
supervinx
11/25/2009 11:10:07 AM
supervinx schrieb:
> Il Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:03:53 +0100, Michael Kraemer ha scritto:
>

>>supervinx schrieb:
>>
>>>I have another 7011 220, without local graphics.
>>>
>>>Yes, it's a RSC machine, 80 MHz.
>>>Oddly, there's a sticker claiming PowerPC...
>>
>>That would be a 250, not a 220.
>

> On the back there's the sticker 7011 220, on the front a PowerPC adhesive
> and, opening the front panel another 80MHz sticker ... bah ...

That's 2:1 for a 250 :-)
(an RSC @ 80MHz doesn't exist, only PPC601)

> I can't open it ... no keys ... and it's locked on normal, not service ...
> In the front panel there's a dummy key with a number, may be to order a
> new pair ;-)
>
> There's a gentle way to open it ?
>
> Or I must drill the lock ?

That's something I have yet to find out myself,
given my pile of old MCA boxes w/o key :-)

0
Michael
11/25/2009 11:39:08 AM
The drill is ready ;-)