OS/2 gurus! Help with OS/2 config.sys Fwd: Trouble with a Personal System/2

Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem.

Config.sys has been changed.

  Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this
was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update.

  Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved
things.

please help . config.sys got changed os2 ibm indurstial computer-will
not boot?
0
Louis

In article <npapo.23064$qU5.8268@newsfe20.iad>,
Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net> wrote:
> Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem.
>
> Config.sys has been changed.
>
>   Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this
> was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update.
>
>   Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved
> things.

1. Boot (C-A-D).

2. Wait for "boot blob" at top left corner of the screen (a white box, and
"OS/2").

3. Press Alt-F1.

4. Select "Boot to command prompt (use original CONFIG.SYS)" option.

5. Fix the CONFIG.SYS

Alternatively, boot to command prompt from the OS/2 installation diskettes.
--
Don Hills    (dmhills at attglobaldotnet)     Wellington, New Zealand
 preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
"Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message
> Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem.
>
> Config.sys has been changed.
>
>  Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if this
> was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update.
>
>  Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing involved
> things.

For Warp 3 and 4, I'd recommend that you take backups of a couple of working
config.sys file(s), rename them to, say, config.y and .z and edit the
os2\boot\altf1bot.scr text appropriately and, maybe, also turn on desktop
archiving (right-click background and select Settings then Archive). You can
also enable a delayed start-up by displaying the Recovery Choices screen for
a non-zero number of seconds even if archiving isn't enabled.
--
Cheers,
    Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
10/3/2010 12:00:37 PM
> >  Any way to boot in recovery mode?

SHIFTRUN is a utility which allows you to start a command interpreter at
boot time but there must be an entry in CONFIG.SYS to use it. Once in
command mode, you can edit and repair your startup [text] files and do some
more.

Another highly useful utility is the virtual floppy drive allowing you to
extract a compressed floppy to a virtual drive.

0
UZnal
10/3/2010 1:43:23 PM
Louis Ohland <ohland@charter.net> writes:

> Folks, I suck at OS/2, and this guy has a problem.
>
> Config.sys has been changed.
>
>  Any way to boot in recovery mode? No further info yet, unknown if
> this was a result of a FixPack, adapter install, or a program update.
>
>  Challenge, this may be a production unit, and it may be doing
> involved things.

You know in Kelly's Heroes when Oddball says something like, "Oh, I just drive
'em, I don't know how to make them work? :-)
0
Dan
10/10/2010 4:12:16 AM
Dan wrote:

> You know in Kelly's Heroes when Oddball says something like, "Oh, I just
> drive 'em, I don't know how to make them work? :-)
Yea, that job falls to Moriarity!  Always complaining, bad karma!
0
sctvguy1

Web resources about - OS/2 gurus! Help with OS/2 config.sys Fwd: Trouble with a Personal System/2 - comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware

Personal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Personal (company) , a Washington, D.C.-based tech startup Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional ...

Personal Branding Blog - Dan Schawbel
The Personal Branding Blog offers branding and career advice from Dan Schawbel and his team of experts.

Hound launches on iOS as a formidable personal assistant competitor to Siri
Hound, a voice search application from the creators behind SoundHound , has been released today for iOS. Hound’s application focuses on bringing ...

Review: Avegant Glyph delivers on “personal theater” promise
... the display work. When you put it on, you look a lot like you’re wearing someone’s parody of what a VR headset is supposed to look like (personally, ...

New York Mets outfielder turns spring training into his personal car show
Filed under: Celebrities , Design/Style , Ford , Lamborghini , Performance New York Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes really likes cars, and he's ...

Pawn shop phones contain left over personal data
... in 4 cities New York, Paris, Barcelona and Berlin. The goal being to see if used phones are regularly being sold with previous owners’ personal ...

Personal Income increased 0.5% in January, Spending increased 0.5%
The BEA released the Personal Income and Outlays report for January: Personal income increased $79.6 billion, or 0.5 percent ... in January, ...

Personal income up 0.5 percent in Jan.
U.S. consumer spending rose solidly in January and underlying inflation picked up by the most in four years.

Osama bin Laden's will, personal letters made public
CNN Osama bin Laden's will, personal letters made public CNN Washington (CNN) Newly released documents written by Osama bin Laden include ...

Snapchat Employee Falls For CEO Email Scam, Reveals Some Employees’ Personal Info
... as the photo sharing company announced that it was the victim of a phishing scam that led to ne’er-do-wells getting their hands on the personal ...