OT: IBM 3270 PC(s) [5160 XTs with additional 3270 hardware] on eBay UK

Hi group,

I seem to be making posting too difficult - or should that be "making"
time for it?...  That said, creating Time itself is an interesting
prospect, but I'll probably never get around to it.

Anyway, something has driven me to post:

There is an auction for three IBM PCs "built 1985/6" plus a printer on
eBay UK - the one pictured appears to be an example of the unusual
type 5271 "3270 Personal Computer", which is essentially a 5160 XT
crossed with a 3270 terminal and provides the functions of both.

The picture shows a PC set up with both a special type 5272 display
and a 122 key keyboard as used on the 3270 PC, though details of
numbers and cards in the PCs have not been included.

Seller is based in Lapworth in the West Midlands, pick up only.  I'm
not very far away though I don't have transport, but would be happy to
help out if at all possible.  As I understand these aren't too common,
especially complete set ups, so I just think would be a shame if they
met a all too familiar fate.

To clarify, I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever.

Link to the auction (item number 200439650353):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200439650353

Here is a great page on the 3270 PC's hardware quirks:
http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/5271.html

Here are links to some relevant IBM docs:

EMEA [Europe Middle East Africa] announcement for the 5271 on 22nd
March 1984: http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/3/877/ENUSZG84-0253/index.html

US announcement for the 5271 on October 18th 1983:
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/9/897/ENUS183-129/index.html

Hardware description; breakdown of models, option details etc.:
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_sm/1/649/ENUS5271/index.html

Cheers,

Dan Wright
- dw_junon AT/XT http://www.9999hp.net/
0
Daniel

Personally, I don't care if you were selling it. Folks look at the price
and make up their minds.

It's a bit far for me to drive, could never figure the correct exit off
of I90 in New Jersey to get to the UK...
0
Louis
2/17/2010 9:55:14 PM
"Louis Ohland" <ohland@charter.net> wrote in message
> Personally, I don't care if you were selling it. Folks look at the price
> and make up their minds.
>
> It's a bit far for me to drive, could never figure the correct exit off of
> I90 in New Jersey to get to the UK...

Obviously, you take the tunnel.
I don't see no bridge.

Jeesh.

0
Robert
2/17/2010 10:03:59 PM
> Obviously, you take the tunnel.
> I don't see no bridge.

There's a bridge there, right next to the millions of jobs saved or
created...

0
Louis
2/17/2010 11:19:16 PM
Hi Daniel...

> I seem to be making posting too difficult - or should that be "making"
> time for it?...  That said, creating Time itself is an interesting
> prospect, but I'll probably never get around to it.
>
> Anyway, something has driven me to post:
>
> There is an auction for three IBM PCs "built 1985/6" plus a printer on
> eBay UK - the one pictured appears to be an example of the unusual
> type 5271 "3270 Personal Computer", which is essentially a 5160 XT
> crossed with a 3270 terminal and provides the functions of both.
>
> The picture shows a PC set up with both a special type 5272 display
> and a 122 key keyboard as used on the 3270 PC, though details of
> numbers and cards in the PCs have not been included.
>
> Seller is based in Lapworth in the West Midlands, pick up only.  I'm
> not very far away though I don't have transport, but would be happy to
> help out if at all possible.  As I understand these aren't too common,
> especially complete set ups, so I just think would be a shame if they
> met a all too familiar fate.
>
> To clarify, I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever.
>
> Link to the auction (item number 200439650353):
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200439650353
>
> Here is a great page on the 3270 PC's hardware quirks:
> http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/5271.html
>
> Here are links to some relevant IBM docs:
>
> EMEA [Europe Middle East Africa] announcement for the 5271 on 22nd
> March 1984:
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/3/877/ENUSZG84-0253/index.html

> US announcement for the 5271 on October 18th 1983:
> http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/9/897/ENUS183-129/index.html
>
> Hardware description; breakdown of models, option details etc.:
> http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_sm/1/649/ENUS5271/index.html

I evaluated and used one of those during my two year stay in Louisville
(Louavull), from '82 to '84, and found it quite an interesting bit of
technology. Colour 3270 terminals and the multi-session 3290 gas plasma
terminals were still something of a novelty at the time and combining colour
3270 multi-session terminal capabilities with a Personal Computer was very
innovative as well as having the programming capabilities to interact with
the 3270 sessions via a fully documented API (Application Programming
Interface).

I'll have a look and see if I can use one to interface with my mainframe.
;-)
--
Cheers,
    Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
2/18/2010 5:03:53 AM
On Feb 18, 12:03=A0am, "Tim WBST Clarke" <WBSTCla...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> I'll have a look and see if I can use one to interface with my mainframe.

I'm sure you could if you have the 3174 emulation adapter in your
Multiprise.  However, if you wanted *the best* 3270 PC environment to
attach to your "personal mainframe", I'd look for a 3270 AT-GX, with
that lovely (and heavy!) 5379-C01 display, maxed out with RAM and
running GCP 3.21.

Rick Ekblaw
0
RickE
2/18/2010 2:11:47 PM
Hi Rick...

> > I'll have a look and see if I can use one to interface with my
mainframe.

> I'm sure you could if you have the 3174 emulation adapter in your
> Multiprise.  However, if you wanted *the best* 3270 PC environment to
> attach to your "personal mainframe", I'd look for a 3270 AT-GX, with
> that lovely (and heavy!) 5379-C01 display, maxed out with RAM and
> running GCP 3.21.

Now, you're making my mouth water! I don't have the Multiprise's 3174
emulation adapter, yet, but may be able to source one over here. Of course,
I have the TN3270E emulations to play with, but I do so like the
hardware/software combinations, both of the "blast from the past" 3270 PC/XT
as well as your suggested 3270 PC/AT-GX. I'd like to play with the control
programs' APIs "in the comfort of my own home", too. Can be done under OS/2
Warp and CM/2 to some extent, of course, but every 3270 Emulation program
has it's own quirks and anomalies. So, I'd like to develop a "definitive"
set of related pages on those.
--
Cheers,
    Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST)

0
Tim
2/18/2010 3:06:02 PM
Louis Ohland wrote:

>> Obviously, you take the tunnel.
>> I don't see no bridge.
>
> There's a bridge there, right next to the millions of jobs saved or
> created...
The NJ Turnpike could use some infrastructure rebuilding, the worst road I
have ever traveled.
0
sctvguy1
2/20/2010 3:49:47 PM
On 2/20/2010 09:49, sctvguy1 wrote:
> Louis Ohland wrote:
>

>>> Obviously, you take the tunnel.
>>> I don't see no bridge.
>>
>> There's a bridge there, right next to the millions of jobs saved or
>> created...
> The NJ Turnpike could use some infrastructure rebuilding, the worst road I
> have ever traveled.

Common story, two seasons, winter and road repair.

0
Louis

IBM 3270 PC(s) [5160 XTs with additional 3270 hardware] on eBay UK
Hello, There is an auction for three IBM PCs "built 1985/6" plus a printer on eBay UK - the one pictured appears to be an example of the unusual type 5271 "3270 Personal Computer", which is essentially a 5160 XT crossed with a 3270 terminal and provides the functions of both. The picture shows a PC set up with both a special type 5272 display and a 122 key keyboard as used on the 3270 PC, though details of numbers and cards in the PCs have not been included. Seller is based in Lapworth in the West Midlands, pick up only. As I understand these aren't too ...

[OT] IBM exiting the PC hardware business
Interesting article and sign of the times as PC's move to commodity status. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/03/technology/03ibm.html?ex=1259816400&en=c60a66b7afa86173&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland -- Phil McGuinness - Sherlock Software Phil, But who is only just coming to understand this? The NY Times reporter or IBM? The rest of us have known this for a decade now. We got out of hardware supply precisely because there is no margin to be had. Dell and others now offer a 3Ghz P4 PC with 17" LCD monitor for US 680 delivered and with XP Pro. Work that ou...

Auction: Vintage IBM PS2 PC Hardware Maintenance Manual Models 25
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-IBM-PS2-PC-Hardware-Maintenance-Manual_W0QQitemZ270078671271QQihZ017QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem> End time: Jan-18-07 17:11:07 PST These are good for quick service to the systems. I am electric, electric eye... ...

Was the IBM PC Open Hardware?
On Friday 22 April 2005 20:06 DFS wrote: > And lest you forget, the PC software and hardware industry has > thrived under Windows as no other industry ever has in history. In another thread, DFS actually raises an interesting point imo. My recollection of the IBM PC is a very expensive piece of kit, which had two advantages. 1. It was IBM ("nobody ever got fired for buying IBM") 2. With the IBM name, the concept of the Personal Computer became a serious, business-thing, no longer a toy or hobbyist or niche piece of equipment. However, I have another recollection. Within ...

IBM Hardware
Elarasys, Inc a leading reseller of pre-owned IBM p5, pSeries, and TotalStorage hardware has a sale on the below systems. p615 7029-6C3 1-Way 1.2GHz, 1GB Memory, 36.4GB 10K Disk Drive, DVD, Rails&Power Cord $2,100.00 7044-170 400MHz, 1GB Memory, 2 x 18.2GB 10K Disk Drives, CD-ROM, 20/40GB 8mm Tape Drive, GXT4500P, K&M $675.00 p640 7026-B80 2-Way 375MHz/8MB, 1GB Memory, 18.2GB 10K Drive, CD-ROM, Rails&Power Cord $850.00 We can a complete line of IBM p5, pSeries and TotalStorage hardware if you are looking for something not listed above or would like a different configuration p...

IBM PC Hardware Moderator Needed
Hello Please don't be mad at me if I should not be asking this here... If you have any knowlege about IBM PCs, such as general hardware and trouble shooting, and you like to help people... I need 2 or 3 IBM PC Moderators for my Forum. Please stop by and sign up <- If nothing else stop by and say HI! so I know some did Read this? Thak you SUE http://XenoGlossy.Com ...

IBM Hardware
Is and always was, of better quality than Apple. In article <M2q1g.4309$Kn4.4058@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, "zara" <zspook@aol.com> wrote: > Is and always was, of better quality than Apple. Zzzzzz..... In article <M2q1g.4309$Kn4.4058@bignews2.bellsouth.net>, "zara" <zspook@aol.com> wrote: > Is and always was, of better quality than Apple. Then what happened to OS/2? It should be up to Warp 7 by now. -- Microsoft and Windoze: The combination that made computing dangerous. Apple and OS X: The combination that made computing insanely ...

IBM PC Hardware Moderator Needed?
Hello Please don't be mad at me if I should not be asking this here... If you have any knowlege about IBM PCs, such as general hardware and trouble shooting, and you like to help people... I need 2 or 3 IBM PC Moderators for my Forum. Please stop by and sign up <- If nothing else stop by and say HI! so I know someone did Read this? Thak you SUE http://XenoGlossy.Com "Keith R. Williams" <krw@attglobal.net> wrote in message news:MPG.19826e22c127b46f98a536@enews.newsguy.com... > > I'm not *so* negative on private messaging systems. Dea...

DLL errors: The hardware, the hardware, it's ALWAYS the hardware...
As John stated in the DLL Hell thread: "Really? How many of those links are cases of "DLL Hell'? Thats where a program replaces an existing Windows DLL with its version. All these are a bunch of links where a DLL is missing or corrupted. Its a pretty safe bet that 10.3 also will suffer from missing or corrupted files due to disk problems. As evidenced by the frequent need to trash certain programs preference files." This is the age-old "cheap unreliable hardware" argument that John always runs back to when cornered about Windows' shortcomings....

IBM error and information files for servicing/fault finding IBM PC's.
http://www.os2site.com/sw/hardware/ibm/service/servicehelp.zip ...

WTB: IBM PC Server 320 hardware parts
Does anyone have a set of memory card standoffs for a 8640-MZV MCA server? They support the memory card riser on the bottom of the case. The standoffs are included in the 06H8940 Miscellaneous Parts Kit but I don't need any of the other hardware in the kit. Thanks, Walter ...

Auction: IBM Hardware Maintenance and Service Manuals PC XT
>http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Hardware-Maintenance-and-Service-Manuals-PC-XT_W0QQitemZ5294049998QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< Ends Oct-02-05 12:01:04 PDT Includes 3 manuals in original IBM shelf binders, 5 disks, and 3 loop back test connectors (25 pin serial, 25 pin printer, and BNC Ethernet(I think)). -- Reply to ohland@charter.net ...

SCO VS IBM:IBM Addendum to Memorandum in Support of IBM's 2nd Motion to Compel
Did SCO Really Reveal the Code to IBM, as Darl Claims? (http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20031119041719640) Thursday, November 20 2003 @ 01:17 AM EST SCO VS IBM:IBM Addendum to Memorandum in Support of IBM's 2nd Motion to Compel Discovery More proof that SCO's claims are baseless..... (http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2003111102212930): "Information Requested by IBM SCO's Supplemental Response Deficiencies in SCO's Supplemental Response 1 Interrogatory No. 1 seeks specific identification of all alleged trade secrets and co...

[News] IBM Explains Why Important to Use GNU/Linux, Tom's Hardware Covers Linux

OT: IBM 56K PC Card modems (OEM of USR 56K w. X-Jack) on eBay US
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6805152631 Usual disclaimers apply. -- Regards, Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST) ...

5250 and 3270 hardware.
Does anyone have any 3270 or 5250 PS/2 related hardware? I have a collection and I am trying to expand. Jason Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ---------------------------------------------------------- http://www.usenet.com Stupid Shoe wrote: > Does anyone have any 3270 or 5250 PS/2 related hardware? I have a > collection and I am trying to expand. I'm thinking 3270 emulation MCA adapters are somwhat com...

Auction: IBM PS2 PS/2 Vintage Server Collectible sys 8595-0KF (William!! It's a xKx!!!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270237772168 Starting bid: US $59.00 End time: May-22-08 09:23:51 PDT (6 days 19 hours) Ships to: Worldwide Item location: Holliston/Boston, MA, United States You are bidding on a IBM PS2 PS/2 Vintage Server Collectible sys 8595-0KF. This has been test and in working condition. This is not really intended to be used as a computer, rather a collectible piece of IBM history. Unit IS WORKING, and cosmetically in great shape It has a 1.44 floppy and NO Hard drive and would require very specific ones if you were to go the r...

Auction: 640K RAM CARD Memory expansion for IBM PC , IBM PC/XT
>http://cgi.ebay.com/640K-RAM-CARD-Memory-expansion-for-IBM-PC-IBM-PC-XT_W0QQitemZ8764134178QQcategoryZ74946QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem< Ends Feb-16-06 15:46:57 PST 3 available ...

OT: IBM's Power to power Boeing's 787
>=20 http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2006/09/26/209179/787-special-system= s-advance.html Kerry Main's "server consolidation" takes to the air :-) For its 787, in order to save weigth and power demand, Boeing's contracto= r has=20 decided to consolidate many cockpit systems together. It will be PowerPC = based,=20 running Wind River Systems=92 VxWorks 653 real-time operating system (RT= OS) which=20 will support many applications in the cockpit (about 80 different functio= ns). Interestingly, dropping old military protocols, Boeing is going for Ether= net on=20 ...

It's true: IBM's PC business bought by Lenovo.
Hey Everyone: Well, it happened: http://news.com.com/IBM+sells+PC+group+to+Lenovo/2100-1042_3-5482284.html?tag=st_lh http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/08/0314207&tid=136&tid=187&tid=98&tid=1 IBM's PC business has been bought out by Lenovo of China for $1.25 billion USD (Lenovo is also taking on IBM's debt). IBM is getting a 18.9% stake in Lenovo, and Lenovo gets to use the IBM and Think names for the next five years. Only time will tell what this means for OS/2 users. IBM could in theory continue to sell PCs under its brand name that...

[OT] IBM RT PC
Hi ! I was here, lookin' at your posts, busy with other ... ehm ... brands ;) My question is this: I have an RT PC, complete with keyboard, monitor, graphic tablet, manuals but no mouse. It comes from an IBM dealer, and the mouse has been lost before I got the PC. May I use a serial mouse, connected to S1 or S2 ? Obviously I have the berg-10 to DB-25 adapter... BTW, the monitor is a 19", I needed help to carry it :P -- http://www.supervinx.com/Retrocomputer _ ___ _ _ _ __ ___ _ ____ _(_)_ __ __ __ / __| | | | '_ \ / _ \ '__\ \ / / | '_ \\ \/ / \__ \ |_| | |_) | __/ | \ V /| | | | |> < |___/\__,_| .__/ \___|_| \_/ |_|_| |_/_/\_\ |_| Hi Vincenzo ! > Hi ! > I was here, lookin' at your posts, busy with other ... ehm ... brands > > My question is this: I have an RT PC, complete with keyboard, monitor, graphic > tablet, manuals but no mouse. It comes from an IBM dealer, and the mouse > has been lost before I got the PC. > May I use a serial mouse, connected to S1 or S2 ? Obviously I have the > berg-10 to DB-25 adapter... AFAIK the mouse was a generic style. If you have the Adapter - try one. > BTW, the monitor is a 19", I needed help to carry it :P Most likely the model which later got sold as 6091-019 for the R6K. Have seen an RT-PC back in '88, at an IBM ...

OT: PC hardware diagnostics
Anybody have any experience / recommendations? I'm looking for hardware tests that can be run from a bootable CD, completely bypassing Windows. I've done some searches and found a few products that claim to be perfect in every way, but they don't give enough specifics to tell me how close they are to what I want. My ideal diagnostics would be much like the CD Dell ships with their Optiplex machines, but I want to buy other brands which sadly come with lame diagnostics, or none at all. And the Dell CDs don't like to run on other brands. Dell's CD offers nice c...

FA: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) / 8 IBM PC Game Games
> Item name: SIX Western Digital 6.4gb Hard Drives > Price: $46.00 > Buy It Now: $46.00 > Bids: -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3482211928 > Item name: 8 IBM PC Game Games - (Pirates , Paperboy) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8107002333 > Item name: C64 Gettysburg SSI Game & 4 IBM PC Games(civil war) > Price: $9.99 > Bids: ...

Hardware Quality Survey: Apple's hardware = shoddy
Macintouch's PowerMac G5 Hardware Quality Survey Taken from the summary at OSNews.com <http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=15150>: Macintouch has done a hardware quality survey among owners of PowerMac G5s (3000 PowerMacs) regarding hardware quality, support quality, and more. http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/pmg5.html The conclusion: <quote> "The Power Mac G5's 17% first-year failure rate remains far higher than the industry average of 5% <http://news.com.com/Gartner+PC+hardware+getting+more+reliable/2100-1005_3-6088143.html> .. If Apple is to maint...

Web resources about - OT: IBM 3270 PC(s) [5160 XTs with additional 3270 hardware] on eBay UK - comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware

Category:Articles needing additional references from November 2011 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...

Michael E. Mann - Some additional thoughts about Muller... - Facebook
Some additional thoughts about Muller and 'BEST': Muller's announcement last year that the Earth is indeed warming brought him up to date w/ ...

BranchOut raises additional $25M for professional networking app
BranchOut , a professional networking app built on top of Facebook, announced today that it raised $25 million in a Series C round lead by Mayfield ...

Swytch - Additional Numbers for Calls & Texts on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Swytch - Additional Numbers for Calls & Texts. Download Swytch ...

TSA Interaction @ DIA Additional Body Screening After Landing???? - YouTube
They tried to get me to do additional screening of my Body after I was already off the plane and headed out of the airport. I ended up leaving ...

AGL faces delays, additional conditions after BTEX chemicals detected
AGL's coal seam gas ambitions in the Gloucester area have been dealt a double blow with the launch of two government investigations into the ...

REPORT: China is taking additional steps to shore up its shaky currency
China’s foreign exchange regulator, the State Administration of Foreign Exchange, or SAFE, has ordered banks in some trading hubs to limit dollar ...

Making additional contributions to super
Can I make additional contributions to super if the account is in the pension phase

Julie Bishop rules out additional military deployment in Middle East
AUSTRALIA has ruled out any further military deployment to the troubled Middle East despite the call from the United States for coalition forces ...