OT: IBM PC-DOS 2000 "seeing" a drive larger than 8GB

Hi.  I have an IBM PS/2 Model 60 with a cached SCSI card and a 1GB SCSI HD.
It has IBM PC-DOS 2000 on it and runs fine.  I have read that DOS can not
properly detect a hard drive larger than 8GB.  If I were to install a 9G
hard drive, would it:

A:  Not "see" it at all?

or

B:  "See" it as an 8GB drive?

I have used larger than BIOS-detectable drives in clone systems and they
were detected as the maximum the BIOS could detect (10G shown as 8.4GB, for
example).  Will DOS "see" it this way?

My cached SCSI card does have whatever newer BIOS is needed for >1GB hard
drive detection.  I have never tried to connect a larger than 1GB drive to
it, so if I am going to run into problems with a maximum size on the cached
SCSI card, please let me know about that as well.

Thank you,
Jason Whorton
http://ibmps2.home.mchsi.com/model60.html

0
Jason

Jason Whorton wrote:
> I have read that DOS can not
> properly detect a hard drive larger than 8GB.  If I were to install a 9G
> hard drive, would it:
>
> A:  Not "see" it at all?
>
> or
>
> B:  "See" it as an 8GB drive?

Answer: B.  DOS will see it as a 8GB drive (8025 MBytes it says).
However, you'll only be able to create a maximum 2047MB FAT16 primary
partition.  To use the entire disk you'll need to create an extended
partition and then 3 Logical Drives (2x2047MB, 1x1883MB).

--Dan
0
Daniel
3/3/2005 3:56:02 AM
"Daniel Hamilton" <daniel_nospam_@cavs.msstate.edu> wrote in message
> Jason Whorton wrote:
> > I have read that DOS can not
> > properly detect a hard drive larger than 8GB.  If I were to install a 9G
> > hard drive, would it:
> >
> > A:  Not "see" it at all?
> >
> > or
> >
> > B:  "See" it as an 8GB drive?
>
> Answer: B.  DOS will see it as a 8GB drive (8025 MBytes it says).
> However, you'll only be able to create a maximum 2047MB FAT16 primary
> partition.  To use the entire disk you'll need to create an extended
> partition and then 3 Logical Drives (2x2047MB, 1x1883MB).
>
> --Dan

Hello.  Thank you very much for the information, Daniel.

0
Jason