PS/2 Model 30 - 286 Error 1790

I hit the recycler today and found a boxed PS/2 30 286 with Model M
keyboard and an IBM 4869 external 5.25" drive (boy is that a long
external drive). Anyway got it home and cleaned it up, turned it on
and get the ERROR 161, 1790,163,162.

I know the PRAM (dreaded DALLAS RTC) is dead, so I downloaded the
configuration disk for the system and rebooted but still get the 1790
error. That error is for fixed drive 0 being bad. What I want to know
is if the drive is realy bad, or I need a seperate disk to configure
the HD, or if the dead PRAM is not saving the configuration so I keep
getting the error on a warm boot?

Any ideas?

0
teozenios (1)

Il Fri, 13 Nov 2009 19:00:47 -0800, Powermac ha scritto:

> I hit the recycler today and found a boxed PS/2 30 286 with Model M
> keyboard and an IBM 4869 external 5.25" drive (boy is that a long
> external drive). Anyway got it home and cleaned it up, turned it on and
> get the ERROR 161, 1790,163,162.
>
> I know the PRAM (dreaded DALLAS RTC) is dead, so I downloaded the
> configuration disk for the system and rebooted but still get the 1790
> error. That error is for fixed drive 0 being bad. What I want to know is
> if the drive is realy bad, or I need a seperate disk to configure the
> HD, or if the dead PRAM is not saving the configuration so I keep
> getting the error on a warm boot?
>
> Any ideas?

AFAIK the HD should be damaged ...
Do you hear the HD spinning up ?
Sometimes the heads get stuck and HD doesn't spins up ...

If I remember well, the model 30 uses an MFM HD, so you could try to low-
level reformat it ...
You should access the advance diagnostics hitting ctrl-a in the main
refdisk menu ...
Someone else in this group could be more precise... my model 30 is
"buried" in the garage :-(
0
supervinx
11/14/2009 8:03:39 AM
Hi !

> I hit the recycler today and found a boxed PS/2 30 286 with Model M
> keyboard and an IBM 4869 external 5.25" drive (boy is that a long
> external drive). Anyway got it home and cleaned it up, turned it on
> and get the ERROR 161, 1790,163,162.

Good finding nontheless, even if it is "only" ISA.
Errors are
161 dead battery
162 configuration error
163 date / time error
1790 HD0 (either not properly detected / needs LLformat)

> I know the PRAM (dreaded DALLAS RTC) is dead, so I downloaded the
> configuration disk for the system and rebooted but still get the 1790
> error. That error is for fixed drive 0 being bad.

It's been long since I worked with a 30-286 the last time.
There is the "Advanced Diagnostic" available. You may need that.
In either case the system needs to detect the HD as Type xx, where xx is
a number (I think 30-286 HD is Type 36 or something). Should be printed
atop the drive.

If you start the adv.diags you get an option list where "17" is the
harddisk and in a further menu you get formatting options.
1790 is usually a format error and you can fix that with using
"unconditional format" (there is a comment line shown how to start it,
like "1,C" where C is the drive to handle).

 > What I want to know
> is if the drive is realy bad, or I need a seperate disk to configure
> the HD, or if the dead PRAM is not saving the configuration so I keep
> getting the error on a warm boot?

Normally the system should keep the config data as long as you don't
power it off, but the Dallas is a somewhat wicked chip and I know that
it behaves slightly different w.o. a working battery than the other AT
and compatibles.

Might be the time to try out my Dallas rework:
http://www.mcamafia.de/mcapage0/dsrework.htm

--

Peter from Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de
On Nov 14, 3:58=A0am, "Peter H. Wendt" <peterwe...@mcamafia.de> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> > I hit the recycler today and found a boxed PS/2 30 286 with Model M
> > keyboard and an IBM 4869 external 5.25" drive (boy is that a long
> > external drive). Anyway got it home and cleaned it up, turned it on
> > and get the ERROR 161, 1790,163,162.
>
> Good finding nontheless, even if it is "only" ISA.
> Errors are
> 161 dead battery
> 162 configuration error
> 163 date / time error
> 1790 HD0 (either not properly detected / needs LLformat)
>
> > I know the PRAM (dreaded DALLAS RTC) is dead, so I downloaded the
> > configuration disk for the system and rebooted but still get the 1790
> > error. That error is for fixed drive 0 being bad.
>
> It's been long since I worked with a 30-286 the last time.
> There is the "Advanced Diagnostic" available. You may need that.
> In either case the system needs to detect the HD as Type xx, where xx is
> a number (I think 30-286 HD is Type 36 or something). Should be printed
> atop the drive.
>
> If you start the adv.diags you get an option list where "17" is the
> harddisk and in a further menu you get formatting options.
> 1790 is usually a format error and you can fix that with using
> "unconditional format" (there is a comment line shown how to start it,
> like "1,C" where C is the drive to handle).
>
> =A0> What I want to know
>
> > is if the drive is realy bad, or I need a seperate disk to configure
> > the HD, or if the dead PRAM is not saving the configuration so I keep
> > getting the error on a warm boot?
>
> Normally the system should keep the config data as long as you don't
> power it off, but the Dallas is a somewhat wicked chip and I know that
> it behaves slightly different w.o. a working battery than the other AT
> and compatibles.
>
> Might be the time to try out my Dallas rework:http://www.mcamafia.de/mcap=
age0/dsrework.htm

> --
>
> Peter from Germanyhttp://www.mcamafia.de

I found the Advanced diagnostic disk online (V1.00). The system
detects the HD since it is connected directly to the motherboard. The
drive is a Model WD-336P, P/N 6128217.

When I try doing an unconditional format It comes back after a while
with the Error 1704 Controller Failure. The drive light does come on
when I boot, and when you try to do something (but always just a
little spinning noise and the light goes out).

0
Powermac
11/15/2009 1:39:10 AM
On Nov 14, 8:39=A0pm, Powermac <teozen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 3:58=A0am, "Peter H. Wendt" <peterwe...@mcamafia.de> wrote:
>

> > Hi !
>
> > > I hit the recycler today and found a boxed PS/2 30 286 with Model M
> > > keyboard and an IBM 4869 external 5.25" drive (boy is that a long
> > > external drive). Anyway got it home and cleaned it up, turned it on
> > > and get the ERROR 161, 1790,163,162.
>
> > Good finding nontheless, even if it is "only" ISA.
> > Errors are
> > 161 dead battery
> > 162 configuration error
> > 163 date / time error
> > 1790 HD0 (either not properly detected / needs LLformat)
>
> > > I know the PRAM (dreaded DALLAS RTC) is dead, so I downloaded the
> > > configuration disk for the system and rebooted but still get the 1790
> > > error. That error is for fixed drive 0 being bad.
>
> > It's been long since I worked with a 30-286 the last time.
> > There is the "Advanced Diagnostic" available. You may need that.
> > In either case the system needs to detect the HD as Type xx, where xx i=
> > a number (I think 30-286 HD is Type 36 or something). Should be printed
> > atop the drive.
>
> > If you start the adv.diags you get an option list where "17" is the
> > harddisk and in a further menu you get formatting options.
> > 1790 is usually a format error and you can fix that with using
> > "unconditional format" (there is a comment line shown how to start it,
> > like "1,C" where C is the drive to handle).
>
> > =A0> What I want to know
>
> > > is if the drive is realy bad, or I need a seperate disk to configure
> > > the HD, or if the dead PRAM is not saving the configuration so I keep
> > > getting the error on a warm boot?
>
> > Normally the system should keep the config data as long as you don't
> > power it off, but the Dallas is a somewhat wicked chip and I know that
> > it behaves slightly different w.o. a working battery than the other AT
> > and compatibles.
>
> > Might be the time to try out my Dallas rework:http://www.mcamafia.de/mc=
apage0/dsrework.htm

> > --
>
> > Peter from Germanyhttp://www.mcamafia.de
>
> I found the Advanced diagnostic disk online (V1.00). The system
> detects the HD since it is connected directly to the motherboard. The
> drive is a Model WD-336P, P/N 6128217.
>
> When I try doing an unconditional format It comes back after a while
> with the Error 1704 Controller Failure. The drive light does come on
> when I boot, and when you try to do something (but always just a
> little spinning noise and the light goes out).- Hide quoted text -

So is it a drive issue or motherboard issue ?
0
Powermac
11/16/2009 12:42:34 AM
Hi !

>> When I try doing an unconditional format It comes back after a while
>> with the Error 1704 Controller Failure. The drive light does come on
>> when I boot, and when you try to do something (but always just a
>> little spinning noise and the light goes out).- Hide quoted text -

> So is it a drive issue or motherboard issue ?

More likely a drive issue.

The small 30MB drives are now very old and a lot of them had passed away
already when the machines were still in use with their first owners.
Some customers back then decided to remove the original drive and
install a IDE or SCSI adapter with another / more common drive.

A pretty welknown combo was the Seagate ST02 SCSI controller (with own
boot BIOS) and a Seagate 3.5" SCSI drive like the ST-177S. The ST02 has
own socket and adapter cable for the DC power to the drive - the Mod.
30's by nature had no standard DC power plug.

An Adaptec AHA 1540 would do too as well as an ISA IDE controller, but
you'd had to tap the main DC power connector for a HD standard DC plug,
which requires (maybe) a bit soldering. The original PS/2 HD gets DC
power from the combined data / power cable from off the sysboard.
The board connector is IDE-like - but not 100 percent compatible and
includes the +5 / +12V supply, so you cannot directly adapt a later IDE
drive. Apart from the fact that a non-standard HD would not be supported
from the machine BIOS and needs more tweaking. A separate bootable
controller is the better solution.

--

Peter from Germany
http://www.mcamafia.de
On Nov 16, 2:52=A0am, "Peter H. Wendt" <peterwe...@mcamafia.de> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> >> When I try doing an unconditional format It comes back after a while
> >> with the Error 1704 Controller Failure. The drive light does come on
> >> when I boot, and when you try to do something (but always just a
> >> little spinning noise and the light goes out).- Hide quoted text -

> > So is it a drive issue or motherboard issue ?
>
> More likely a drive issue.
>
> The small 30MB drives are now very old and a lot of them had passed away
> already when the machines were still in use with their first owners.
> Some customers back then decided to remove the original drive and
> install a IDE or SCSI adapter with another / more common drive.
>
> A pretty welknown combo was the Seagate ST02 SCSI controller (with own
> boot BIOS) and a Seagate 3.5" SCSI drive like the ST-177S. The ST02 has
> own socket and adapter cable for the DC power to the drive - the Mod.
> 30's by nature had no standard DC power plug.
>
> An Adaptec AHA 1540 would do too as well as an ISA IDE controller, but
> you'd had to tap the main DC power connector for a HD standard DC plug,
> which requires (maybe) a bit soldering. The original PS/2 HD gets DC
> power from the combined data / power cable from off the sysboard.
> The board connector is IDE-like - but not 100 percent compatible and
> includes the +5 / +12V supply, so you cannot directly adapt a later IDE
> drive. Apart from the fact that a non-standard HD would not be supported
> from the machine BIOS and needs more tweaking. A separate bootable
> controller is the better solution.
>
> --
>
> Peter from Germanyhttp://www.mcamafia.de

I was planning on trying an old OS/2 1.1EE on that unit (and having a
MFM drive just makes that easier), so I will go hunt down a DALLAS
chip and a HD somewhere.

Thanks for the help.
0
Powermac