Replacement floppy drive for PS/2 Model 56, and moving an existing AIX PS/2 install to a new drive

I have a PS/2 9556 with a floppy drive that is getting intermittent
read errors on known good disks (I checked the disks on another
drive). Does anybody know where I can find a replacement drive, or
know if I can fix the drive (an MF356C-799MA)?

The same PS/2 has AIX PS/2 1.3 installed on a 1GB drive. I want to
replace that drive with a 500MB drive and a 4.2GB drive. I want to
move the existing AIX system from the 1GB drive over to the 4.2GB
drive. I have no compatible tape drive and no compatible network card
(there is an OC2335 installed, and I am trying to port the Linux
driver to AIX PS/2, but I haven't yet got it to work). I installed a
minimal AIX system on the 4.2GB drive (which is configured as the
second drive because the BIOS can't IML off a drive larger than 4GB).
I'm not sure how to get the old AIX system to recognize the second
drive to either copy the system over to the AIX partition directly, or
make a cpio archive of the system on a temporary DOS partition so I
can extract it over the minimal AIX system that I installed.
0
Andrew

On 7/28/2010 20:35, Andrew Warkentin wrote:
> I have a PS/2 9556 with a floppy drive that is getting intermittent
> read errors on known good disks (I checked the disks on another
> drive). Does anybody know where I can find a replacement drive, or
> know if I can fix the drive (an MF356C-799MA)?
>
> The same PS/2 has AIX PS/2 1.3 installed on a 1GB drive. I want to
> replace that drive with a 500MB drive and a 4.2GB drive. I want to
> move the existing AIX system from the 1GB drive over to the 4.2GB
> drive. I have no compatible tape drive and no compatible network card
> (there is an OC2335 installed, and I am trying to port the Linux
> driver to AIX PS/2, but I haven't yet got it to work). I installed a
> minimal AIX system on the 4.2GB drive (which is configured as the
> second drive because the BIOS can't IML off a drive larger than 4GB).
> I'm not sure how to get the old AIX system to recognize the second
> drive to either copy the system over to the AIX partition directly, or
> make a cpio archive of the system on a temporary DOS partition so I
> can extract it over the minimal AIX system that I installed.

Arrghh... You wait until the last minute before I pop smoke...

9556, which model? The -xEx 486SLC3 models are SurePath, and will boot
from a drive >4.3GB

I foundt a copy of "PC Interface" from Locus that should allow access of
the AIX system by a Windows box. Wink, wink.

http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/floppy/FD_144_01.html leaking
electrolytic caps are a known issue.
http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/floppy/floppy.html

http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/AIX_1-3/AIX_Index.html

FWIW, the SMC/WD 8003 is directly supported,

The if_ena driver provides support for the Western Digital WD80X3 and
IBMENA families of LAN interfaces. The driver conforms to IBM AIX PS/2
device driver requirements for such a driver and follows the interfaces
defined in the AIX Operating System For Personal System/2 Technical
Reference Volume 2, Appendix C.

http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/AIX_1-3/AIX_NICs.html

0
Louis