Somewhat OT: Truth is stranger than fiction... (IBM hard drive with Western Digital branding)

While working on a Power Macintosh G4/400, I happened to look at the
hard disk out of the corner of my eye. It looked like any late-90s
model IBM DeskStar, but upon a closer look it is branded as a Western
Digital "Expert" drive.

The jumper settings follow those of a late-90s Deskstar drive, and
almost every IC on the controller board is by IBM.

Strange...I wonder why IBM would have built drives for Western Digital?
Even more interesting is Western Digital's almost-complete ignorance of
this drive on their support website. It took a Google search to turn it
up in their web site.

William

0
wm_walsh

SOLUTION! IBM Hard Drive only recognized as 33GB hard drive, but is more >>>82.3GB
KEYWORDS: IBM Hard Drive 33GB 32.83GB 82.3GB FDisk Windows XP NTFS FAT32 work full capacity maximum limitation jumpers Hi everyone, I read a bunch of these newsgroups for the last couple days and have spent several hours trying to fix my problem with no luck. Finally after rereading some of the posts and rethinking the problem I have finally fixed my problem. So, Dust off that old hard drive and make it work! I did! Here was my problem: I got a new computer that has an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with an Intel P4-3.0Ghz HT chip and 1 GB of DDRAM. It came with a new 115GB hard dr...

And a whacked out new year! Lot of 5, IBM SCSI Hard Drives in IBM Sled, FRU 10L6080 (auction)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56095&item=5733738203 Nov-24-04 18:04:47 PST These hard drives come in their sleds designed to fit in IBM PC Servers like the IBM PC Server 3159, or IBM PC Server 330. This lot comes with: * Quantity of 5: 4.51GB 7200RPM Fast wide SCSI-2 Hard Drives, FRU # 10L6080 ...

Merry freakin Holiday! Lot of 5, IBM SCSI Hard Drives in IBM Sled, FRU 76H5817 (auction)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56095&item=5733738255 Nov-24-04 18:05:00 PST These hard drives come in their sleds designed to fit in IBM PC Servers like the IBM PC Server 3159, or IBM PC Server 330. This lot comes with: * Quantity of 5: 4.51GB 7200RPM Ultra wide SCSI-3 Hard Drives with a 40 MBps External Data Transfer Rate, FRU # 76H5817 ...

FS: 3 Hard Drives
1st bid wins! 3 Hard Drives - 20gb 10gb 6gb (drive 20 gig) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5115747121 5 Western Digital 6.4gb gig Hard Drives (drive 6 gig) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6700806547 ...

IBM P\N 90X6806, Model #WD 325 N, IBM TYPE 30, 20 MB Hard Disk Drive
One needed. Or any size that will work with no modifications on my IBM System 50, 8550-021 Plain Jane. Hard drive "must" be ready to go as is and guaranteed to work or I do not want it. The Hard Drive I need must be ST506, MFM, MCA and see other spec's on subject line. Please only reply to this post on the newsgroup only. Jim. jim wrote: > One needed. > > Or any size that will work with no modifications on my IBM System 50, > 8550-021 Plain Jane. > > Hard drive "must" be ready to go as is and guaranteed to work or I do...

Huge 1988 Mainframe Hard Drive!! (IBM 9332, IBM AS/400) MainFrame Build Project video Part 1 :o)
Hi all, Just to let you know that I've just put up a video on my YouTube channel ab= out a 1988 IBM 9332 400GB mainframe hard drive that I've aquired for the pr= oject I'm just starting to put together my own IBM AS/400 mainframe in the = livingroom (yes, I'm completely insane). Please enjoy the video and leave behind any helpful comments. Also, if any= body has any technical data on the IBM 9332 or the IBM AS/400 or even any p= arts they can donate/sell at a reasonable cost, that would be much apprecia= ted :o) Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DfQZrNJKcgO...

Auctions (2): Three IBM PS2 Graphics Adapters 8514/A *AND* IBM MicroChannel 4869 External 5-1/4" Disk Drive (360K)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270123874305 Starting bid: US $0.99 End time: May-31-07 16:43:43 PDT (6 days 3 hours) Ships to: United States Item location: Surprise, Arizona, United States IBM PS/2 MicroChannel CAD Workstation Graphics Cards Model 8514/A listing is for a quantity of three shipped for a single price Also by same seller : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270123854097 Starting bid: US $0.99 End time: May-31-07 15:51:52 PDT (6 days 3 hours) Includes the drive sled, the MCA adapter card and ribbon cables for inside the box (as shown in the picture). No affiliation PS William, WCT is mentioned in both auctions. -- Jelte, admirer of the letter of IBM with blue Ishiki The information contained in this post is copyright the poster and specifically may not be published in, or used by http://www.jlaforums.com ...

OT: 13 separate IDE/ATA IBM DJNA-371350 13.5 GB HARD DRIVE FRU 36L8689 on eBay US
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5245790203 -- Regards, Tim Clarke (a.k.a. WBST) ...

Drive Image 2002: Error #91 Western Digital Hard Drive
Hi. I am trying to make an image of my freshly reformatted Western Digital 40 GB 7200 rpm HDD. I am useing Windows 98 SE and just FYI Motherboard=Abit BH6 Processor=Intel Tualatin 1.4Ghz Celron RAM=512 MB PC100 SDRAM Hard Drive 1=WD 40GB 7200RPM Hard Drive 2=Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM Sound=Soundblaster 64PCI CDRW=Norcent 52x32x52 Video= ATI Radeon 8500DV No matter whether I use the rescue disks or the Drive Image software itself, I keep getting this error on reboot Error #91 I have gone to the Norton website only to find that I need to clear my MBR useing the a:\>fdisk /...

IBM hard drive circuit???
Has anybody tried to replace the circuit board on deskstar hard drive??? Any info regarding would be appreciated. Im trying to resurrect my dead one which cant been seen in the BIOS. regards Lee find another card of a dead drive and swap . often works Atsuko wrote: > > Has anybody tried to replace the circuit board on deskstar hard drive??? > Any info regarding would be appreciated. > Im trying to resurrect my dead one which cant been seen in the BIOS. > regards Lee atec wrote: > find another card of a dead drive and swap . often works But not necessar...

IBM hard drive problems
Ive got a 40 gig deskstar IBM hard drive....... Model nos is IC35L040AVER07 My BIOS cant detect it and ive tried on other computers. And jumpers are set correctly Therefore as it cant be found in BIOS i cant run any diagnostic tools to retrieve my data Any suggetions what i can do. It has been playing up for a yr or so so i guess im to blaim that i didnt back it up................ I think it must be in the circuit board on the hard drive as it sounded fine mechanically. Is it easy to change the circuit on the back???? if i can get the same hard drive again Please HELP................

Hard drive for a new IBM
I just got a new IBM today and after installing all the programs I need I only have about 20 G's left of 40. And I haven't even started saving anything yet. Anyway, It's a brand new laptop and I'm wandering if I should get an 80 G hard drive and if so what brand name of HD and from whom should I buy it? Thanks. IS. I have a external hard drive USB 2 and it works great, has it's own case and power supply. "IS" <y@y.com> wrote in message news:bYWmd.18235$fC4.14437@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com... >I just got a new IBM today and after installing all the...

Western Digital 320Gb hard drives?
Western Digital WD3200JB (8M cache, but not the fancy RAID edition.) Has anyone tried these? Can anyone comment on their reliability? They cost about the same as a 300Gb drive (from any manufacturer), and, all other things being equal, the extra 20Gb is worth having. In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage A. J. Moss <ajmoss@macpaint.fsworld.co.uk.invalid> wrote: > Western Digital WD3200JB (8M cache, but not the fancy RAID edition.) > Has anyone tried these? Can anyone comment on their reliability? They are a bit too new for that. Ask again in 2 years or so. > The...

how do i swap hard drive on ibm x31
hi....i have an x31 with a cdrw.....it has a 40 gb hd....i have a spare 80 gh hd i would like to put on.......x31 dosnt restore disks as xp op is on the hard drive.....i dont have any info i need to save but how do i get the xp os onto the new hd so it will boot up.....thanks....im a newbe so maybe its easy....i dont know On Jun 24, 7:26 am, gram <gramp...@hotmail.com> wrote: > hi....i have an x31 with a cdrw.....it has a 40 gb hd....i have a > spare 80 gh hd i would like to put on.......x31 dosnt restore disks > as > xp op is on the hard drive.....i dont have any info i ...

DID IBM run away from Hard Drives ?
Did they decide it was JUST TOOOOOOOOOO HARD ? They seemed to fuck up that design pretty good. We Live For The One We Die For The One <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:cf7k40p6pqs1ouvdjcb4cocmuqqu2grr1a@4ax.com... > Did they decide it was JUST TOOOOOOOOOO HARD ? More that there was bugger all money in it. > They seemed to fuck up that design pretty good. Yep, and with very thin margins on mass market commodity drives, it was easier to find some sucker to buy that operation. In article <cf7k40p6pqs1ouvdjcb4cocmuqqu2grr1a@4ax.com>, We ...

New hard drive for IBM T20
I need a new drive for my old T20. It's pretty full and Spinrite says it's dying. The current drive is a Hitachi 11G, probably 4200 RPM. Of course I can go bigger and faster, but should I? I just read a review at THG, which lavished praise on the new 7200 RPM Hitachi, and says faster isn't a problem with power consumption. But I'm concerned about heat. I leave my computer running almost 24/7. It's been dead reliable so far, and I don't want to mess with it. I know others have had overheating problems after putting faster drives in older machines. Noise is an issue too -- I like my computer to be as quiet as possible. It's one reason I chose the T20 initially. Any thoughts? Matt O. "Matt O'Toole" <matt@deltanet.com> wrote in message news:34me6tF4f9ni8U1@individual.net... > I need a new drive for my old T20. It's pretty full and Spinrite says it's > dying. The current drive is a Hitachi 11G, probably 4200 RPM. Of course I can > go bigger and faster, but should I? I just read a review at THG, which lavished > praise on the new 7200 RPM Hitachi, and says faster isn't a problem with power > consumption. But I'm concerned about heat. I leave my computer running almost > 24/7. It's been dead reliable so far, and I don't want to mess with it. I know > others have had overheating problems after putting faster drives in older > machines. Noise is an issue too -- I lik...

western digital hard drive, broke?
my mates hard drive can't be detected by the bios and makes a constant ticking noise. any way of recovering or is back to shop job? tia KingCreole <booyoo@hotmomma.com> wrote in message news:eFt6b.2751$vX7.25461808@news-text.cableinet.net... > my mates hard drive can't be detected by the bios and makes a > constant ticking noise. any way of recovering or is back to shop job? The drive had died. It may be possible to recover the data off it if it hasnt been backup up properly. Western Digitals are know for their "Click of death", or "tick of death&...

Western Digital Hard Drive New
I ran the basic new hard drive with: In the lower windowpane on the right hand side, you should see unallocated space for the drive. Right-click anywhere on the unallocated space to see a menu of available options. Click on Create Partition The Create Partition Wizard will appear. Click on Next. Leave Primary partition selected and click Next. Choose the partition size and click Next. Leave Assign a drive letter. selected and click Next. Leave Format this partition with the following settings: selected and choose the file system you want. Select Perform a quick format a...

IBM and Identity Theft--Hard Drive
Recently I had a hard drive crash on my laptop during the warranty period. IBM (Lenovo, I would guess) sent me a new hard drive, which I installed and restored. Now IBM wants the old drive back. I told them I would damage it so they couldn't read the data. This is unacceptable to them. It must be sent back no more damaged than it was at the time of the crash. The representative said they often recyle them. While my data was backed up, a lot of the data on the drive they want returned is probably recoverable. This raises serious identity theft issues in my mind, despite the...

Maxtor or Western Digital Hard Drives????
I was at Fry's today and noticed that they have lots of Maxtor and Western digital drives for sale. Various sizes and etc. The Maxtor's are cheaper and come with a one year warranty and the Western Digital's have a 3 year warranty. I was considering a Maxtor SATA drive but don't know anything about the reliability of Maxtor drives. WD drives used to be great, no problems. Recently I've used IBM drives with no problems. Are the Maxtor drives a good buy and are they reliable? Also how are the new SATA drives? Regards, James Note: To reply by email, re...

IBM Thinkpad 570 hard drive
Can anyone tell me if an IBM Thinkpad 570 can take a 12.5mm hard drive? Ron S wrote: > Can anyone tell me if an IBM Thinkpad 570 can take a 12.5mm hard drive? Yes. It can. ...

Western Digital Hard drive Problem
Hi Group, I bought a 100GB Hard Drive and installed it in my computer as a slave drive (details below). The PC took a long time in booting up, as if it was trying to recognize the new hardware, however when it finally booted the new hardware still was not recognized, I run the "scan for hardware changes", although it recognized there was a new disk drive, the computer gets stuck and does not istall the drivers. By the way it makes unusual noises (eg. ticking noises etc). HARD DRIVE DETAILS: 100 GB Western Digital Hard Drive WD1000 Model: WD1000JB - 32CWE0 S/N:...

Western Digital hard drives are garbage
I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate. On 18 May 2005 18:40:02 -0700, messenjah@mailinator.com wrote: >I've had six of them go within the year, total crap. The Caviars are >complete junk. Stick with Maxtor or Seagate. You need to quit abusing them. -- Million Mom March For Gun Confiscation http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/mmm.html A liberal is a person who is so open minded that their brains have fallen out. Bob wrote: > On 18 May 2005 18:40:02 -0700, messenjah@mailinator.com wrote: > >&g...

Need a larger hard drive in my IBM
Hi, I need to install a larger hard drive in my IBM T42 (was new a year ago). I only have 115 MB left and I can't clean up any more junk from it. Could anyone please advice me on what kind, what brand name, and what physical size etc. would fit in this laptop? I need something very reliable. So far the hard drive in this laptop has been good. Thanks for any help. JS "Jay Stevens" <Jay@hbo.com> wrote in message news:AXGZe.2714$KQ5.1846@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com... > Hi, > I need to install a larger hard drive in my IBM T42 (was new a year ago). > I only...

Web resources about - Somewhat OT: Truth is stranger than fiction... (IBM hard drive with Western Digital branding) - comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware

Donald Trump Junior Interviewed By Pro-Slavery Radio Host
Another Donald Trump is reportedly getting cozy with some white supremacists; this time, it’s Donald Trump Junior. Mere days after the GOP presidential ...

Apple gets backing in FBI iPhone case from privacy groups, tech titans
The ACLU files the first in an expected series of briefs telling a federal court that it sides with Apple and believes an FBI request to hack ...

HBO to launch its streaming services in Brazil and Argentina by year end
Chris Ciaccia / TheStreet.com : HBO to launch its streaming services in Brazil and Argentina by year end — Move Over Netflix — HBO Is Coming ...

Kanye West Conveniently Caught Using Torrents to Pirate Software
It looks like Kanye West has egg on his face, but with his recent Twitter strategy, it’s mostly likely us playing the fools. The latest Kanye ...

Will Mary-Kate & Ashley Olsen Be on 'Fuller House' Season 2?
Now that Fuller House got picked up for a second season on Netflix, fans are still wondering whether we’ll see a cameo by Mary-Kate and Ashley ...

Today's Medical Mystery: Why Did All Those Abortion Clinics in Texas Close?
Today, the Supreme Court heard arguments about HB 2, a 2013 Texas law that requires (a) all abortion clinics to meet the standards of "ambulatory ...

US sanctions North Koreans for missile, nuclear programs
WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States on Wednesday sanctioned a dozen individuals and five organizations tied to North Korea's nuclear and weapons ...

Apple reportedly leases former Pepsi bottling plant. More room for Apple Car?
Apple seems to be in the midst of a land-grab — and I am not referring to its new campus . See also: Sorry, Tesla: The world’s fastest electric ...

Astronaut Scott Kelly on what it's like to return to Earth after a year in space
Mixed emotions. That's what NASA astronaut Scott Kelly says he's feeling upon returning to Earth after 340 days on the International Space Station. ...

U.S. military invites pre-approved experts to 'Hack the Pentagon'
By Andrea Shalal SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - The Pentagon on Wednesday invited outside hackers who have been vetted to test the cyber security ...