Hot, Hot Prescott

I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478)
motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.

Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to
uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the
wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu
to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C.

Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp
at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordinarily i/o-bound
defrag was using a consistent 100% of cpu, but I figure the 82 C was
definitely in the ballpark for melting the 0's into 1's.

There are 4 fans in the mini-tower case. All were working fine when I
cleaned and checked previous to the 82 C. defrag reading.

Has anyone had problems with the accuracy of a temp sensor on an
Intel D865Gxxx board?

My multiplier is locked. Setting priority has no effect so long as
cpu cycles are available.

Any idea re how I might slow the cycle speed so I can run certain
cpu intensive programs?

  Thx,
  Will
comp.sys.intel 2509 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Aug 14, 3:59=A0pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles <barrel.f...@screwmail.com>
wrote:
> I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478=
)
> motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
> cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.
>
> Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to
> uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the
> wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu
> to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C.
>
> Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp
> at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordinarily i/o-bound
> defrag was using a consistent 100% of cpu, but I figure the 82 C was
> definitely in the ballpark for melting the 0's into 1's.
>
> There are 4 fans in the mini-tower case. All were working fine when I
> cleaned and checked previous to the 82 C. defrag reading.
>
> Has anyone had problems with the accuracy of a temp sensor on an
> Intel D865Gxxx board?
>
> My multiplier is locked. Setting priority has no effect so long as
> cpu cycles are available.
>
> Any idea re how I might slow the cycle speed so I can run certain
> cpu intensive programs?

Have you considered the dumpster option?

There are so many deals on new, used, or refurbished computers with
plenty of muscle and none of Prescott's problems.

I have a 3.0 GHz Northwood doing gofer duties (email, etc.).  Surely
there must be someone who wants to get rid of one.

Robert.

0
Robert
8/14/2009 11:52:38 PM
Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 14, 3:59?pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles <barrel.f...@screwmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478)
> > motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
> > cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.
>
> There are so many deals on new, used, or refurbished computers with
> plenty of muscle and none of Prescott's problems.

Especially a slow-FSB/cache-reduced one like the Prescott Celerons -
P4/Netburst architecture chips are very memory bandwidth sensitive, and the
combination of a slower FSB and smaller severely reduces the perormance on
most of them.

I'd guess that that chip, for most things, is going to be outperformed by a
Northwood 2.4C or a Athlon 64 3400+.  Possibly even a 3000+ or 3200+.

--
Nate Edel                               http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
 preferred email  |
"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" <barrel.full@screwmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478)
> motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan,
> cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc.
>
> Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to
> uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the
> wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu
> to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C.
>
> Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp
> at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordinarily i/o-bound
> defrag was using a consistent 100% of cpu, but I figure the 82 C was
> definitely in the ballpark for melting the 0's into 1's.
>
> There are 4 fans in the mini-tower case. All were working fine when I
> cleaned and checked previous to the 82 C. defrag reading.
>
> Has anyone had problems with the accuracy of a temp sensor on an
> Intel D865Gxxx board?
>
> My multiplier is locked. Setting priority has no effect so long as
> cpu cycles are available.
>
> Any idea re how I might slow the cycle speed so I can run certain
> cpu intensive programs?
>
>  Thx,
>  Will

If you are in the UK then eBuyer still have some skt 478 Northwood CPU's on
sale.

Bob

0
Robert
8/15/2009 3:17:39 PM
On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:52:38 -0700 (PDT), Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Have you considered the dumpster option?

This (and perhaps all) Prescotts surely, surely qualify for such.

Kinda hate to spend any $ on it. Not at all certain it's the cpu
and not the temp sensor, but ...

>There are so many deals on new, used, or refurbished computers with
>plenty of muscle and none of Prescott's problems.
>
>I have a 3.0 GHz Northwood doing gofer duties (email, etc.).  Surely
>there must be someone who wants to get rid of one.

The manual sez:

The board is designed to support the following:
� Intel Pentium 4 processors in an mPGA478 processor socket with a 400/533/800 MHz system
bus
� Intel Celeron processors in an mPGA478 processor socket with a 400 MHz system bus
See the Intel web site listed below for the most up-to-date list of supported processors.
For information about Refer to
Supported processors for the D865GVHZ board
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/hz/hz_proc.htm

And, of course, the fine, fine Intel URL sez "Page Not Found". :-)
Actual table is:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d865gvhz/sb/CS-026964.htm

Doesn't distinguish between Prescott and Northwood. Due to the
"Board Revision note", I suppose I'd have to open the case just to
determine which Northwood would definitely suffice.

Not much impressed with Intel product/support these days.

  Thx,
  Will
0
Wilfred
8/15/2009 7:32:04 PM
On Aug 15, 3:32=A0pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles <barrel.f...@screwmail.com>
wrote:

> Doesn't distinguish between Prescott and Northwood. Due to the
> "Board Revision note", I suppose I'd have to open the case just to
> determine which Northwood would definitely suffice.

According to Pricewatch, a 3Ghz Northwood (512K cache) can be had for
about $30.  It seems unlikely to me that there would be an
incompatibility problem Prescott->Northwood.  More likely the other
way around.

At $30, what you are risking mostly is your time.  I *hate* installing
heatsinks, but, if were in a mood to fiddle, I'd risk it and be
prepared to throw the whole mess away if it went sour for some
reason.  If it works, you'll recoup your investment in saved electric
bills within a year.

> Not much impressed with Intel product/support these days.

That's a shame.  Intel Core i7 920 is one of the most implausible
bargains I've ever seen.  You can buy them for $200.  No wonder Intel
is going to stop making them with three memory channels.

Intel is pretty hostile to hardware hackers.  That's a fact.  They
don't really want you as a customer all that much, unless you're going
to buy more of their motherboards and chipsets each time you buy one
of their processors.  I don't think they really want people like you
and me combing through their documents so as to get it right.  AMD, on
the other hand, knows that losing programmers with screwdrivers would
be a big loss.

As a blunder in the marketplace, Prescott really stands out (exceeded
only by Itanium because of the relative investments).  I suspect that
most of those chips went into machines that sat at deskside doing
almost nothing all day, so no one that mattered (i.e.; corporate
buyers, naive home users) noticed what a dog it was.  Intel didn't
really get away with one there, but they didn't get hurt as badly as
they might have.

In the end, right now Intel has the better product, no matter how much
of a dog Prescott was.

Robert.
0
Robert
Similar artilces about - Hot, Hot Prescott:

Networking tools cheap sale!!!! HOT HOT HOT!! MCSE A Must!!
Network Cable Tester for $35 Please visit www.mcbworld.com Thanks!! ...

m r ***Hot stuff
http://www.kaneva.com/checkout/stream.aspx?assetId=2017&free=0 ...

Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs]
Red Hot Linux v9.0 [2 DVDs]. Red Hot Linux v9.0 [3 CDs]. Redhat Enterprise Linux ES v3.0 REPACK [4 CDs]. Mandrake Linux 9.2 [3 CDs] - new ! If you have Googled your butt off, and haven't come up with anything ...., and for 14,000 more reasons, please send e-mail, tel4@ath.forthnet.gr, tel2003@pathfinder.gr, astra35@pathfinder.gr, ...

Modelling of a hot water cylinder
I want to know what i have to use in simulink to start with the modelling of a geyser. "Etienne du Preez" <14525089@sun.ac.za> wrote in message <g64lng$e1$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I want to know what i have to use in simulink to start with > the modelling of a geyser. A source ~Adam "Adam " <not.real@email.com> wrote in message <g64m7e$6av$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > "Etienne du Preez" <14525089@sun.ac.za> wrote in message > <g64lng$e1$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > > I want to know what i have to use in si...

How hot is too hot?
Hello, I have a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo with an Athlon XP 2600. I've got a heatsink and fan on the CPU, and a couple more fans in the case. What's a safe operating temperature for this set-up? I've been running the ASUS PC Probe software under Win 98, which monitors the CPU and motherboard temps. My CPU seems to level off around 38-40�C, and the mobo around 30-32�C. Is this too hot? Should I think about adding another fan to the case. I've got room for one more, but I hate to make the thing any more noisy if I don't really need to. Also, is it possible to monitor t...

Clone from hot backup
We upgraded from 8i to 9i last month. Under 8i I frequently cloned our production database to a test version using the hot backups created every night (alter tablespace start/end backup and copy the datafiles). I have done this dozens of times with no problems. I copied the datafiles and redo logs to the new path, rename them, copy the redo logs to new names, create a control file by getting a trace from production and changing the first two lines to: STARTUP NOMOUNT CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE SET DATABASE "TEST" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG After executing the control file script I enter:...

US-NY: New York-Senior Developer (HOT NEW POSITION)
************************************************************** JobCircle.com - Careers, Content and Community for Technology professionals in the Northeastern United States! Jobcircle.com provides resume submission, classified searches, eLearning, hundreds of career development articles, tech news, and more to tens of thousands of Technology professionals in your area - visit us today at http://www.jobcircle.com! !!! Voted a TOP 50 Career Web Site in 2002 by CareerXRoads !!! ************************************************************** Please reply to robinjob@allegiance.com ...

Site by Prescott Computer Guy
http://www.leedgoldstein.com Notice at the bottom where he links to his own site http://prescottcomputerguy.com Snit is now working on figuring out how to have sites work with mobile devices. He still is not getting it. How hard is this for you, Snit? My screwup youngest son Ryan does a better job than you and he does not pretend to be a professional. ...

Hot Racing 2 1.0
Ready! Set! Go! Hot Racing 2 gives you the ultimate racing adventure experience. Pick your favorite car and choose from over four dozen different tournaments. Grab bonuses and be the first to the finish line! Amazing 3D graphics and exciting music enhance your driving experience. Feel the rush! More Info: http://www.myrealgames.com/en/games_hot-racing-2.html Download URL: http://www.myrealgames.com/files/hot-racing-2.exe Screenshot URL: http://www.myrealgames.com/free_games_download/hot-racing-2/1.jpg ...

Hot list of available consultants respond me ASAP
Hi, We work for Direct client Requirement's Hot consultants available immediately, for the required positions as given below.. I look forward to work with you on your daily requirements on Corp-Corp basis. Please let us know if we can assist you in fulfilling your client IT needs. I would appreciate if you can add my id rajendra@wizardtechsolutions.com to your mailing list and send your requirements on a regular basis. Sudhakar Govindaswamy>Sr. Oracle DBA>Charlotte NC>Open>Immediate>9+ Babin saha>Sr .net Developer>Calilfornia>Open>Immediat...

2007 new GHD MK4 hair straighter Iron.hot sell now!!!
Brand new in box GHD MK4 Professional Limited Edition Pink Flat Iron. (Contains UK plug, can be easily changed through a converter if needed) Anyone who knows about these flat irons knows what superior quality they hold and what they are for. These stylers retail for about 299.99. Get your pair for a lower price by bidding! Includes: GHD MK4 Pink Ceramic Hair Straightener Instruction Manual Instructional DVD more style and information plz feel free to contact with us.Thank you! website http://www.2sshoes.com msn/E-mail: great_sh@hotmail.com In article <5cba36ea-bd37-46c6-b514-08...

HOT LIST OF PROMINENT
Hi Hope you are doing good; This is Pramod from Prominent It Solutions, Please Review my Consultants UPDATED HOT LIST FOR YOUR DIRECT CLIENT REQUIREMENTS. Please add me to your distribution list and share me your daily requirements to pramod@prominentitsol.com Name Skills Location Relocation Exp Visa Availability shilpa Unix/Linux NJ OPEN 7 years H1B Immediate Ranga Java Developer TX OPEN 8 Years H1B Immediate sowbagya Tableau developer CA OPEN 7 Years H1B Immediate Rakesh SFDC Developer CA OPEN 7 years H1B Immediate Sandeep Java Developer TX OPEN 7 years H1B Immediate ...

Controlling Hot Water Recirculation Pumps
Hello. I just bought a new home that has a recirculation pump located near the hot water heater. I am new to all this so I have some questions: (a) I have looked online and see some of these pumps have timers attached so they operate only during expected usage times (not between midnight and 5am). Mine does not have one that I can see. Are these always attached directly to the pump body or can the timer be located elsewhere? If elsewhere, where might this be? (b) I have read that some of these systems incorporate a temperature switch somewhere that shuts off the pump when a pre-set tem...

Hot, Hot Prescott
I have a little desktop system built around an Intel D865GVHZ (socket-478) motherboard with a Celeron 345 3.06GHz Prescott cpu. W2k sp4, speedfan, cpuz, AVG, Kerio, AdAware, Spybot S&D, etc. Like all Prescott-core cpu's, it's always run hot. I had to uninstall Intel Active Monitor as the alarms were driving me up the wall. Also had to cease running Spybot scans because it ramped cpu to 100% for an extended period so the cpu temp approached 80 C. Was running Win Defrag the other day, noticed cpu at 100% and temp at 82 C (per Speedfan). I have no idea why the ordina...

OT: "Hot Chips" in August
According to this blurb, the "hot chip" conference in August will debut: new x86, Power, and SPARC cores. http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4390356/Hot-Chips-debuts-new-x86--Power--Sparc-cores http://www.hotchips.org/ Neil Rieck Kitchener / Waterloo / Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/ On 7/24/2012 5:03 AM, Neil Rieck wrote: > According to this blurb, the "hot chip" conference in August will debut: new x86, Power, and SPARC cores. From what I hear, with Power7+ having been essentially pushed out a year, we probably...

^2b ***Hot stuff
http://www.kaneva.com/checkout/stream.aspx?assetId=2017&free=0 ...

rm6 hot spare not kicking in
Hi, I think one of the drive slots in my a1000 is busted. I've tried to insert drives that I know are good and the array shows amber and rm6 reports it as failed. There is a hot spare in the system, but it was "unresponsive" until it was recently replaced. So, now I have a degraded RAID5 set and 1 hotspare in standby mode. How do I get RM6 to use the hot spare for the degraded raid set? In <1135759481.370251.87750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> jayhaque@yahoo.com writes: >Hi, I think one of the drive slots in my a1000 is busted. I've tried to >insert drives th...

[News] Linux Relationship Between Oracle and EMC Hots Up
EMC and Oracle buckle up for joint integration ride ,----[ Quote ] | EMC Corporation and Oracle have announced a broadened investment in joint | engineering testing and integration and solutions development to support | customers who are deploying EMC Information Infrastructure in Oracle | environments. `---- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/13/emc_oracle_partnership/ Related: EMC, Oracle Announce EMC Information Infrastructure for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Today an increasing number of Oracle customers are looking to improve | business efficiencies, while reducing IT spending. ...

New&Hot::Process Rebates Online
Many people want to know how to process rebates online. This popular work at home was recently rated the #1 work at home opportunity for the year of 2008. It is very easy to see why rebate processing was presented with this high award. After all, who wouldn't want to work from home in their PJs? It's the American dream! http://www.automaticsystemonline.com ...

Hot Sync freezes on "Calendar"
When I hot snyc my T5 it works ok until it get to "Calendar" - It then just freezes and nothing more happens. Does any one know of a fix for this problem? Falco Falco: > When I hot snyc my T5 it works ok until it get to "Calendar" - It then > just freezes and nothing more happens. Does any one know of a fix for > this problem? Falco Try to verify the DBs, using the utility in the "Tool" menu... Mirko In message <9mIVe.15398$R5.1038@news.indigo.ie>, Falco <schnauzevoll@eircom.net> writes >When I hot snyc my T5 ...

Hot-Plug PCI vs Hot-Swap PCI
Is there a difference between Hot-Plug PCI and Hot-Swap PCI? I saw an MS doc that referred to Hot-Swap PCI and then I saw another that referred to Hot-Plug PCI. Was Hot-Swap renamed to Hot-Plug? ((&-< On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:44:30 GMT, "QuasiCodo" <no_spam_BillAlexander@Yahoo.com> wrote: >Is there a difference between Hot-Plug PCI and Hot-Swap PCI? I saw an MS >doc that referred to Hot-Swap PCI and then I saw another that referred to >Hot-Plug PCI. Was Hot-Swap renamed to Hot-Plug? > >((&-< > > If you are referring...

Michael Glasser: Prescott Computer Guy #2
To help Michael Glasser: Prescott Computer Guy of screencasting fame (http:= //prescottcomputerguy.com/screenflow) and website designer extrordinaire (h= ttp://prescottcomputerguy.com/web_design.html) I would like to see how many= wonderful things can be said of Michael Glasser: Prescott Computer Guy (ht= tp://prescottcomputerguy.com). If we say enough great things about Michael Glasser: Prescott Computer Guy = (http://prescottcomputerguy.com) I think we can have this thread show up in= searched for him even before his own site with info he wrote about himself= (http://prescottcom...

DS10L running hot
I have a DS10L that's running hot and will sometimes shut down to overtemperature. F$GETSYI("TEMPERATURE_VECTOR") indicates temps around 55 C or so. The little blower for the CPU seems to work fine. Does anyone have any suggestions what else to look for? Michael Moroney wrote: > I have a DS10L that's running hot and will sometimes shut down to > overtemperature. F$GETSYI("TEMPERATURE_VECTOR") indicates temps around > 55 C or so. The little blower for the CPU seems to work fine. Does > anyone have any suggestions what else to look for? You can loo...

One-hot Coding of State machines
Hello, all, I am having a dialog with a co-worker regarding state machine encoding. We need to implement a synthesizer imdependant method of coding a state machine so that if an illegal state has been entered, the machine will always recover. My associate insists that One-hot will always do it, and that the coding style should be like that presented in the Ashenden text. This person also claims that the "when others" clause in a case statement makes no guarantees that fail safe logic will be generated. Remember our requirement that it be synthesis tool independent. I belie...

HOT
FOR SAVE WATER AND CHILD PROTECTION http://savewaterinworld.blogspot.com HOT COUPLE ROMANCE http://babes-devi.blogspot.com/2010/11/couples-in-romance.html PRANEEHA HOT PICS http://babes-devi.blogspot.com/2010/11/praneetha-latest-pics.html AISHWARIYA LATEST HOT PICS http://babes-devi.blogspot.com/2010/10/aish-latest-pics.html SOUTHACTRESS IN A SEXY TOWELS http://babes-devi.blogspot.com/2010/10/south-actress-in-sexy-towels.html UDAYATHRA IN A BATH ROOM http://babes-devi.blog...