Thinkpad Z60T aftermarket battery not recognized

Hi everyone,
My OEM battery on my Z60T died a month ago so I went online and
ordered an aftermarket battery that I was assured was compatible with
my model of thinkpad.
However, when i pop it in, the orange low battery light keeps flashing
and the system doesnt seem to charge it.

The online webstore is located near where I live so I drove over to
have it changed thinking it was a problem with the battery they
shipped me. They were kind enough to let me try their entire stock of
(aftermarket) batteries of which only two were recognized by the
system (intermittently - almost as though there is a loose contact). I
did notice that the aftermarkets didnt fit as snugly into the battery
slot as the OEM but the latch works just fine and since it looked like
it was working i picked one of the new ones.

Well, thats the last time I have seen the battery working; i know its
fully charged but my system doesnt recognize the battery at all ; the
power indicator shows "Battery Not Installed" and if i unplug the
power the computer instantly shuts down. However, I do know that the
system did see the battery initially since it gave me a system alert
that a "Non genuine Lenovo battery was installed on the system"

Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?

thanks
0
yezdi
12/4/2007 9:48:46 PM
comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad 809 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:48:46 -0800 (PST) yezdi.lashkari@gmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
> precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
> fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
> something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?

Return the after market battery for a refund.

Take the old battery to an Interstate Battery store,
<http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/default.asp> and ask them to
rebuild it.  They can open it up and replace the cells.
--
Ernie B.

Communication:  The art of moving an idea from one mind to another, hopefully
without distortion.
0
Ernie
12/5/2007 1:32:33 AM
wrote:

>Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
>precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
>fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
>something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?
>
>thanks

Either those batteries are crap, or your laptop is defective.  I've
seen laptops fail in a way that causes them not to work with the
battery.  It's possible that your original IBM battery wasn't the
problem.  I would try a known good battery in your laptop (or try
yours in another thinkpad).
Andy Cuffe

acuffe@gmail.com
0
Andy

recommendation for Thinkpad
Hi- I am wanting a replacement for a Thinkpad 600. The 600 was great except that the batteries only seem to last an hour. I really liked the keyboard and the fact that the wristrest was small. Most new laptops have touchpads and 14 inch screens that because of their size seem to make the wristrest very bulky. Perhaps something two years old? Is there a timeline somewhere on the net (like www.theapplemuseum.com) where I can see photos and specs of older Thinkpads? Thanks! John javd at photodigitalstudio dot com John, checkout the ThinkPad T series at: http://tinyurl.com/ejh0 Here are...

Smart Battery Problem w/ Hitachi Notebook
I recently was given a Hitachi E133DN/1000 notebook computer. It had been in storage for nearly eight years, and the internal battery was dead, but when I booted it up w/ its power supply, it came to life immediately. Unfortunately, though I have tried the charge/discharge/charge method of battery resucitation, the laptop still thinks the battery is dead. Now, I know this is not the case. As a test, I gave the battery a twelve hour charge, booted off a bootdisk, and ran an ultra resource hog program called Starways (simulates collisions between galaxies). Without any problems, the laptop ran i...

Thinkpad 1400 continuos reboot problem
Hi, i have a Thinkpad 1400 series (Type 2621-489). The problem is that when I push the power button the laptop start to work and load the operationg system (i have tried with win xp pro and linux suse 9.3. The result is the same) but at a random time the laptop reboots. This time isn't always the same. Sometimes it reboots after some seconds (when is loading the s.o) and sometimes it reboots when i'm working with some application. Can someone help me? Thanks Whitebearinjamaica While logged on as Administrator, go to: Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup...

Psion 5 Backlight and Serial Don't Work Without Backup Battery?
Hello- I recently purchased a used Psion 5 for use as a serial console. However after recieving it I get "access denied" while using the Comm application and the backlight doesn't work. The backup battery *is* dead, do these pieces of hardware stop working when the backup battery is dead? Can someone remove their battery on a working piece of hardware and check for me? Thank You. philipsb@gmail.com wrote: > Hello- > > I recently purchased a used Psion 5 for use as a serial console. > However after recieving it I get "access denied" wh...

FS/FT: 15 External IBM thinkpad 600 600e 600x Floppy drives
Item name: 15 External IBM thinkpad 600 600e 600x Floppy drives Price: $49.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6803996887 I've got about 200 of these, am willing to trade for ibm 600 power supplies or laptop hard drives(3gb-10gb) click the "Here" button in the description to email me ...

HP battery module F2014A
I own an HP omnibook 500 laptop for several years now and just recently discovered that the secondary bay battery (HP F2014A) doesn't load anymore. Even if it is left hooked to the adapter for a long period it stays dead. It hasn't been used very much and not kept charged most of the time. Is there nevertheless a way to revitalise this battery ? Grateful for any advice. Rob B. email: rjjb@planet.nl ...

SVP T500-Bk FULL HD 1440x1080p Digital Camcorder + Camera with 2.5" LCD, 20x Zoom, Leather Body, HDTV Output (2 Lithium batteries Included)
Price:$267.14 Image: http://thediscountguru.info/image.php?id=B001CPNY8M Best deal: http://thediscountguru.info/index.php?id=B001CPNY8M it's a bad experience for buying this product. auto focus does not work, still picture does not work,zoom function doesnot work. Maybe I'm badluck.I returned it within 7 days after i bought it on april, 2009. "NEW in the Box" SVP T-500 Full HD (1440X1080p) Digital Video Camcorder. 8-In-1 digital device acts as a powerful 7.7 Mega Pixel Max. Output Digital Camera, a Full-Motion Digital Video Camcorder, a PC Camera, a MPEG4 M...

Keeping battery in G4 when plugged in
NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway. No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender. -------------------------------------------------------- Finally got the G4 powerbook and have yet to start it up (time and exhaustion) but once it's up an running I'm concerned about the effects on the battery when plugged in the AC outlet. I unknowingly destroyed the battery in my second Tosh Sat Pro by keeping the battery in when using the machine plugged into the wall (sometimes for 18 hours a day, I use computers a lot). With my new Tosh 6100 I remove the battery most...

Toshiba Satellite 4090XCDT
Can I run my Toshiba Satellite 4090XCDT from the ac adapter without a battery installed? -Barry ======== Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information. Works for all Toshibas I've used. Phil Barry OGrady wrote: > Can I run my Toshiba Satellite 4090XCDT from the ac adapter without a battery installed? > > > -Barry > ======== > Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og > Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information. On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:47:53 GMT, Phil <spam@yayhoo.com> wrote: >Works for all Toshibas...

thinkpad for college student
Recently purchased a thinkpad for my son who is soon going away to college. I selected the R60 rather than the t60 as I was looking for a portable computer rather than a desktop replacement. I would have preferred the x series but for his work I felt that he would require an internal optical drive. . Clearly the titanium case would have been preferred over the plastic case on the r60 but the differential in similarly configured laptops was over $300. I was just wondering if given the wear which he will put on the machine in the next few years if chosing the r over t series was a mistak...

Pismo Battery Mystery
I've just bought a Pismo in beautiful, hardly used, condition, but there's one minor anomaly: despite being fully charged, the battery only shows one light. When running from battery the control strip displays more time left than it should, 12 hours at full charge. It seems to be holding a fair amount of juice though and can comfortably run a full-length DVD movie in fullscreen. When connected to the power supply and fully charged, the lightning bolt occasionally appears in the battery menu item for a few seconds. The manual suggests doing a full battery discharge to c...

ThinkPad
Hi, How good is the performance of the ThinkPad R51 Laptops when it comes to working on software's like the MM's dream weaver & Adobe Photoshop? Is it worth buying a ThinkPad or can I get something better at the same price? Thanks. Dreamweaver is not resource or CPU hungry... it runs fine on my old Thinkpad 600 (300MHz + 256MB RAM). However... photoshop is a different matter - particularly the latest CS versions. It depends on the spec' of the R51... with 1GB or 2GB RAM and the fastest 1.7GHz CPU it will run OK... It also depends on the way you use Photoshop... big RAW f...

How long does your T42p battery last?
Hello everyone, How long does your T42p battery last? Mine only lasts 3-3,5 hours, and I think this is a little bit too low, although I have the FlexView display and a 2 GHz CPU. Thanks Florian ...

does Palm store data if battery is gone?
Does current Palms retain its data if the battery is not recharged in time? ie, if I forgot to recharge it for a month, will everything be gone? My Garmin can hold its data indefinitely without battery... Just wondering if Palm has similar capabilities... thanks. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 19:34:41 +0000 (UTC), nospam@none.com wrote: > Does current Palms retain its data if the battery is not recharged in > time? > > ie, if I forgot to recharge it for a month, will everything be gone? > > My Garmin can hold its data indefinitely without battery... Just > ...

HW drivers needed for IBM thinkpad 390x Model 2626 LOU
I have been hunting everywhere for hardware drivers for this specific laptop. The LOU is very important when searching. IBM has drivers but not for the LOU model(series...). I would appreciate any help in finding display, sound, etc drivers. Thanks alot, Shawn from CT. Please post or email me directly at jdean1@cox.net Shawn Dean <jdean1@cox.net> wrote: > I have been hunting everywhere for hardware drivers for this specific > laptop. The LOU is very important when searching. IBM has drivers > but not for the LOU model(series...). I would appreciate any help in > fin...

Battery
Everytime i turn off my palm pilot is at 100% and then i turn it on for 5 mins it goes right down to 70% why is that? Is there any kind of battery for it that is like a cell phone you charge it and it says up for a long time and then charge it and then the same without having it go right down to 70%? A long time battery. Nick wrote: > Everytime i turn off my palm pilot is at 100% and then i turn it on > for 5 mins it goes right down to 70% why is that? Is there any kind of > battery for it that is like a cell phone you charge it and it says up > for a long time and then...

Serial and Similar Battery Configurations.
Serial and Equipoise Battery Configurations. <a href=http://www.large-battery.com>Battery packs</a> execute the desired operating voltage sooner than connecting a handful cells in series, with each cell adding to the total lethal voltage. Parallel coherence attains higher understanding for increased current handling, as each cubicle adds to the overall known handling. Some packs may possess a combination of serial and proportionate connections. Laptop batteries commonly obtain four 3.6V Li-ion cells in series to achieve 14.4V and two in equivalence to profit the job...

replacement battery for APC UPS: motorbike batteries?
For want of a better group to post this in (suggestions welcome): Does anyone have suggestions as to reasonably priced replacements for the batteries in APC UPSes? The pack in my Smart-UPS1500 looke very much like 2 motorbike batteries glued together (though I have not found any info on characteristics). Has anyone ever tries using motorbike batteries in the UPS? Would there be any compelling reasons (incompatibilities, dangers etc) to not try that? If not, any tips one should remember when trying this? regards > Does anyone have suggestions as to reasonably priced replaceme...

Palm m105 battery faults.
My Palm m105 has started forgetting it's settings when the batteries are replaced. Sometimes when I turn it on it asks me to set up the locale, touch screen, etc. Other times the Palm splash screen stays up with a pixel in the top left corner (Don't know if this is some sort of error code..?). Is this the famous capacitor failure I've heared about or something else? Since it's still in warranty, would it be preferable to replace it with a Zire? jeff. "jeff" <jeff@theinternet.com> wrote in news:bda3s5$mf5$1@sparta.btinternet.com: > My Palm m105 has ...

Named Entity Recognizer?
Dear all, I am looking for a named entity recognizer that can identify several kinds of entity like PERSON, ORGANIZATION, LOCATION, DATE, TIME, NUMBER, PERCENT, MONEY, etc. I have tried GATE and YamCha system. The accuracy of GATE is good, however the output format of GATE is too complex for subsequent processing. YamCha system is also good but it only recognize three kinds of entity (PERSON, ORGANIZATION, LOCATION). Could you please suggest me other NE recognizer (for English only)? Best regards, Xuan Hieu Phan Horiguchi-Lab, Graduate School of Information Science, Japan...

Thinkpad 700 (?)
Hey Sgt. David..... Are you bidding on this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3448262795&category=42202 I emailed the seller to find out of this was a 700 or a 700C and did not get a reply............ CT the Curious ferrousp@aol.com (Tim Knight) wrote in message news:<20031222141240.11235.00001306@mb-m11.aol.com>... > Hey Sgt. David..... > Are you bidding on this: > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3448262795&category=42202 > > I emailed the seller to find out of this was a 700 or a 700C and did not g...

Thinkpad 600x CPU upgrade
I want to upgrade a "handed down" 600x from P3 500mhz to say P3 1ghz. Will it be easy and doable? Anybody tried it? "Wolverine" <wolverine_x@bestmail.us> wrote in message news:d3395b3b.0312220802.1ded49f2@posting.google.com... > I want to upgrade a "handed down" 600x from P3 500mhz to say P3 1ghz. > Will it be easy and doable? Anybody tried it? I just upgraded my laptop from a Celeron 550 cpu to a Pentium III/800 I got from eBay. This worked surprisingly well. Before you do this, you have to know what kind of socket the cpu is in. If you're very ...

Broadcom driver discussion [Was: Re: [9fans] Is IBM ThinkPad R60e notebook compatible with Plan9?]
On 5/11/07, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote: > > Any one involved with writing a broadcom driver care to kickoff a discussion? > > jmk sent me his work-in-progress driver code. I started work on it on > my Dell Latitude D610, but cardbus driver issues got in the way. By > the time I got close to resolving that, the laptop got replaced. Thanks Lyndon. Is anyone else working on the driver? Regards, Vester What chipset does it have? I am gonna work on 4401, 4311 and several other "broadcoms" I have... On 5/10/07, Vester Thacker <vester.thac...

WTD:Thinkpad T20 series battery
Working order. TIA Mick "Mick" <mick@gotout.plus.com> wrote in message news:<HLVjc.35750$h44.5310614@stones.force9.net>... > Working order. > TIA > Mick We do one at �81.02 all inc. One year warranty. Duncan Smith www.gmkbatteries.co.uk ...

New T2 and battery
I have ordered a T2 and I am wondering what steps I should take to get the max life out of my battery. I know most celphones says you should charge/discharge them several times before use. Is this also true for the T2? What do you recommend? If you know of any websites with information regarding this that would be helpful also, but I'm more interested in what everyone has found works best. Thanks! Fully charge the unit and go from there. No need to run through a discharge/charge cycle. TC "Wesley Harp" <wesmh@cox-internet.com> wrote in message news:...