Thinkpad Z60T aftermarket battery not recognized

Hi everyone,
My OEM battery on my Z60T died a month ago so I went online and
ordered an aftermarket battery that I was assured was compatible with
my model of thinkpad.
However, when i pop it in, the orange low battery light keeps flashing
and the system doesnt seem to charge it.

The online webstore is located near where I live so I drove over to
have it changed thinking it was a problem with the battery they
shipped me. They were kind enough to let me try their entire stock of
(aftermarket) batteries of which only two were recognized by the
system (intermittently - almost as though there is a loose contact). I
did notice that the aftermarkets didnt fit as snugly into the battery
slot as the OEM but the latch works just fine and since it looked like
it was working i picked one of the new ones.

Well, thats the last time I have seen the battery working; i know its
fully charged but my system doesnt recognize the battery at all ; the
power indicator shows "Battery Not Installed" and if i unplug the
power the computer instantly shuts down. However, I do know that the
system did see the battery initially since it gave me a system alert
that a "Non genuine Lenovo battery was installed on the system"

Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?

thanks
0
yezdi
12/4/2007 9:48:46 PM
comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad 817 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:48:46 -0800 (PST) yezdi.lashkari@gmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
> precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
> fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
> something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?

Return the after market battery for a refund.

Take the old battery to an Interstate Battery store,
<http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/default.asp> and ask them to
rebuild it.  They can open it up and replace the cells.
--
Ernie B.

Communication:  The art of moving an idea from one mind to another, hopefully
without distortion.
0
Ernie
12/5/2007 1:32:33 AM
wrote:

>Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
>precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
>fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
>something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?
>
>thanks

Either those batteries are crap, or your laptop is defective.  I've
seen laptops fail in a way that causes them not to work with the
battery.  It's possible that your original IBM battery wasn't the
problem.  I would try a known good battery in your laptop (or try
yours in another thinkpad).
Andy Cuffe

acuffe@gmail.com
0
Andy

Thinkpad X21. Battery ok, thinkpad does not power on
Hello, I have a problem with my Thinkpad X21. I have two batteries, which both deliver (as soon as the system is running) approx 3 1/2 to 4 hrs of operation time, so the batteries are ok. But something strange happened to me. Since a certain date it is not possible to turn the x21 on if only the battery is inserted (no AC power). Only a few minutes after charging the battery it can be powered on from battery. As soon as it is running (when pluggin AC and Battery it can be turned on), the battery is working fine and the system can be disconnected from AC (and send to sleep mode...

Thinkpad 600 and aftermarket batteries
Anybody pleased with buying re-manufactured batteries for the TP600? I bought one. It charged in an hour but got less than 9 minutes operation on battery (said ATB brand). Tried several full charge/discharge operations to no avail. Store promptly sent a replacement (no name on this one). It took forever to charge (nearly 4 hours) but worked and I got about 1-1/2 hours on the battery (doing nothing but letting it run down with full power on LCD screen). Did a couple full charge/discharges for good measure. Subsequent charge times were about 3 hours, battery lasted about 1-1/2 hours. Ne...

I found a good site of IBM thinkpad batteries.Just look it, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk
Hi,everyone, I bought a battery of ibm thindpad r31 from a online store, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk .It is a preffesional online store for ibm thinkpad.All of the batteries not only have cheap price and excellent quality,but also have 1 year warranty and quickly deliver.f you are looking for replacement IBM laptop batteries,such as IBM laptop battery thinkpad 600,IBM thinkpad 600e,IBM R31,IBM R32,IBM T20,IBM T22,IBM T23,IBM R40 and so on,please go there,they are your resonable choice. Best regards, Roy ...

THINKPAD Batteries -
I need to replace a battery in a Thinkpad 380 The existing battery is Ni-MH at 8.4 volts I notice however that replacement Li-ion batteries for the 380 (which I'd prefer) are listed as 10.8 volts. Probably a dumb question but are these Li-ion batteries compatible? "jeff" <jeffxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%Kutg.140103$771.40665@edtnps89... >I need to replace a battery in a Thinkpad 380 > > The existing battery is Ni-MH at 8.4 volts > > I notice however that replacement Li-ion batteries for the 380 (which I'd > prefer) are listed as 10.8...

FS: Ni-MH Laptop Battery for IBM ThinkPad 360 Series
The battery is a pull from an old Thinkpad 360 CSE, but still holding charge. FRU 84G2146. Replaces also: FRU 66G5063 FRU 84G2094 FRU 84G2097 FRU 84G2144 FRU 84G2392 Only $10. Pick up in North York. Reply by e-mail. ...

IBM Thinkpad Laptop Removed CMOS Battery | Now Black Screen
I've been working on an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop for a few days now. A client brought it in because he always received the message "No Operating System Found." I tried the hard drive in another IBM laptop and in multiple desktops as slave, master, and stand-alone and finally had to mark the hdd as completely dead. A slight movement of the hdd would result in a rattling sound. I purchased a new hdd and put it in the laptop and found that the cdrom drive was also defective... I could not boot from the cdrom drive to install Windows. So I put the hdd in another Thinkpad since th...

ThinkPad
To recognize small businesses that use innovation to improve a business process, IBM recently announced the Small Business Innovation Contest; open to businesses in the U.S. with 1 - 500 employees. Entrants will be asked to submit an essay of up to 1,000 words by August 16, describing how they used IBM technology to enhance a business process. Qualifying entries will be judged by Jim Blasingame, creator and award-winning host of the nationally syndicated weekday radio/Internet talk show The Small Business Advocate. The top five entries will receive an IBM ThinkPad X40 notebook and the opportun...

ThinkPad
Hi, How good is the performance of the ThinkPad R51 Laptops when it comes to working on software's like the MM's dream weaver & Adobe Photoshop? Is it worth buying a ThinkPad or can I get something better at the same price? Thanks. Dreamweaver is not resource or CPU hungry... it runs fine on my old Thinkpad 600 (300MHz + 256MB RAM). However... photoshop is a different matter - particularly the latest CS versions. It depends on the spec' of the R51... with 1GB or 2GB RAM and the fastest 1.7GHz CPU it will run OK... It also depends on the way you use Photoshop... big RAW f...

ThinkPad T30 2366-41U ThinkPad T30 2366-41U ThinkPad T30 memory issue
I have a ThinkPad T30 2366-41U and I tried doing a memory upgrade. It already has 512 so I purchased the exact module to add to the second slot - this is what happens: System Properties stated 512 of RAM showing. I reseated the modules - no dice. I booted the laptop with the one memory module in each slot - if I have the memory in a particular slot; I just got a bunch of beeps. The other slot came up fine so this rule out bad memory. What it looks like - one of the Expansions Slots is bad. Have you ever seen this? Is there a quick fix? What would you recommend? Thank you in advanced fo...

Thinkpad R50 vs. Thinkpad T41
I have been considering the R50 but as well looked a little at the T40 and especially T41. Is there an advantage of going iwth one over the other? The T41 seems smaller and more expensive but yet almost seems better equiped. I don't know about the build quality of the R50 series, but the T series is very high-quality. If you want DVD-RW right now and flexview screens, then the T-series doesn't have them, whereas the R50s do. The T4xs are very slim. Duncan. "MarkW" <markwco(removenospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message news:2fga30l0chclg7uq488b7pctmdvuge3rqa@4ax.com...

Thinkpad R50 vs. Thinkpad T41
I have been considering the R50 but as well looked a little at the T40 and especially T41. Is there an advantage of going iwth one over the other? The T41 seems smaller and more expensive but yet almost seems better equiped. ...

Thinkpad CMOS Battery
Every time I start this IBM ThinkPad 570 I get the setup screen to enter the date and time. Would I be correct in diagnosing this as a dead CMOS battery? Could anyone tell me how I replace it? Ron S wrote: > Every time I start this IBM ThinkPad 570 I get the setup screen to enter > the date and time. Would I be correct in diagnosing this as a dead CMOS > battery? Could anyone tell me how I replace it? Try here for the maintenance manual; http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4793QA Pen wrote: > Ron S wrote: >> Every tim...

No more Thinkpads?
<http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/03/technology/ibm_pc.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes> NEW YORK (Reuters) - International Business Machines Corp. has put its personal computing business up for sale in a deal that could be worth as much as $2 billion, The New York Times reported Friday. IBM (Research), now the No. 3 PC manufacturer behind Dell Inc. (Research) and Hewlett-Packard Co. (Research), is likely to include all of its desktop and laptop computers in the sale, which could bring $1 billion to $2 billion, people close to the negotiations told the newspaper. If someone wasn't going t...

thinkpad battery dies
hi just picked up 2nd habd thinkpad 600 when using battery the meter gets to aroun 60% then drops straight down to 4% and asks me to shutdown, I know battary is getting on but is there anyway to reset/revive batteries????? because a new one is going to be �80 laptop/wifi card only cost me �140 Battery life sucks on the thinkpad, at least on the 600 series. Even a brand new batt will do that within a year. ...

Thinkpad with 2 batteries
Hi there, I�m working on a Thinkpad T43 with a second battery in the Multibay slot. I want this second battery to be used only when the main battery got emtpy, so that the PC still got power to change the main battery during operation. It really think, this would be a great feature IBM should be interested in - besides it�s not hard to implement in the engery manager. Does s.o. know where to put this suggestion for improvement to IBM / Lenovo? Is there an extenstion or third-party tool? Maybe does someone know where to post this request better than to this group?! Greetings...

Reviews of Thinkpad laptops
eComStation.RU site have implemented excellent model to keep database of hardware: a) the users are posting short reports (they have 5 minutes only; No barriers, users type simple text and post it; that's all what we can collect from the users;) b) periodically we are posting large reviews with information how to install eCS on modern hardware and how to adjust system settings. * Here is the 1-st review of Thinkpad running eComStation (the last 7 years): Thinkpad X61 and eComStation, First Impressions (russian text) http://ru.ecomstation.ru/showarticle.php?id=283 (The previous r...

Thinkpads
Does anyone know of a good showroom for IBM Thinkpads in Manhattan? Thanks. George ...

ThinkPad battery DIY
I have replaced my A22m battery cell with 6 pcs 2200mA new cell. Does anyone knows how to clear/reset the battery control circuit? because the computer is not reporting the right battery status, including full charge capacity, design capacity, cycle count etc. Many thanks! Alpha7 ...

Thinkpad battery terminals
Anybody know the function of each of the 7 terminals on the battery of a Thinkpad model 1410 i Series. The FRU P/N is 02K6526. I especially want the identity of the terminals which supply the power for the laptop. Bill D. ...

dead thinkpad battery
Hi I just bought a used thinkpad x23. The battery is for all intents and purposes non existent. It shows up as 100% charged but has 0 milli amp hours left. Is there a way to resurrect it? I have frozen it overnight, but that has not worked.... acprkit wrote: > Hi > > I just bought a used thinkpad x23. The battery is for all intents and > purposes non existent. It shows up as 100% charged but has 0 milli amp > hours left. Is there a way to resurrect it? I have frozen it > overnight, but that has not worked.... > I thought this was interesting Ask Wiki Laptop Battery...

Thinkpad X21 Batteries
question about batteries for the Thinkpad X21... Poking around, I have found the following specifications for batteries that suppsedly work in the X21 : 14.4V 1700mAH 10.8V 3600mAH 10.8V 4000mAH 10.8V 4400mAH now, apparently the 10.8V version will not work with the X30 series, while the 14.4V does. my X21 came with a 10.8V 3600mAH. is there a definitive source of which of these really exist and what their FRUs are ? Do the higher capacities batteries really exist ? the on-line store does not specify the capacity of the battery they sell for the X21, what are you likely to get ? does an...

thinkpad battery problem?
A friend of ours has an ibm thinkpad. He leaves the battery in even though he has the laptop plugged in to the ac. A few days ago the computer got left on overnight (he usually turns it off after using it) and in the morning the battery was dead, even though it was plugged in to the ac. It took a long time to recharge the battery (after turning the computer off). Now the computer is having alot of problems freezing and programs not functioning right. Any ideas what's wrong other than a virus, etc.? Could the battery have caused this? There are still problems when the battery is removed. ...

Thinkpads...
Hey guys/gals.. In the past, like 6 years ago, I owned a couple of thinkpads. I think they were model 770 and 600. They had a really nice casing, almost like a rubberized feel on the palm rests, etc. Are any of the models still built like this, or are they all cheap plastic like the A series that came out 4-5 years ago?? Thanks! Also, do any of the thinkpads come with a 128MB video card?? Or even a 64MB video card? "kb" <kbesner@hfx.eastlink.ca.NOSPAM> wrote in message news:Thw0c.4021$mx4.99155@nnrp1.uunet.ca... > Hey guys/gals.. > > In the past, like 6 years ag...

thinkpad battery recall
hi as ibm lenovo recalled batteries i get a new one a few month ago for my thinkpad. The old one is not working anymore, although i load it for 2 hours, it gets empty in 1 minute or so. Have they put a spy in my computer? how can I remove it? thanks In news:314e2475-6ff1-496d-b6d8-ad9231d570f9@l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com, louisrom1@gmail.com typed on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:55:25 -0800 (PST): > hi > > as ibm lenovo recalled batteries i get a new one a few month ago for > my thinkpad. > The old one is not working anymore, > although i load it for 2 hours, it gets empty in 1 m...

Web resources about - Thinkpad Z60T aftermarket battery not recognized - comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad

Aftermarket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buy Domains & Sell Domains on Aftermarket.com
Make a name for yourself on Aftermarket.com. Search our premier online marketplace for quality domains

Verizon unveils aftermarket vehicle diagnostics service
Verizon today announced a new aftermarket vehicle diagnostics and roadside assistance service that works by plugging a dongle into any car's ...

Q&A: Aftermarket seatbelts
IS there an aftermarket seatbelt that would fit my Mazda MPV.

Open Automotive Alliance partners new & old confirm Android Auto support, aftermarket solutions
Following Google’s unveiling of its new Android Auto connected car platform, a long list of both new and old members of the Open Automotive Alliance ...

Car electronics manufacturer Alpine to sell aftermarket CarPlay units in the fall
Alpine devices already integrate with the Siri Eyes Free feature of iOS devices. In March, Mercedes-Benz said that it had plans to offer aftermarket ...

GoDaddy Buys Afternic, a Domain-Name Aftermarket Seller
Domain and online services provider GoDaddy said it had acquired Boston-based Afternic, a seller of aftermarket domain names, from NameMedia. ...

OWC to Bring Aftermarket SF3700 PCIe SSD Upgrades to 2013 Macs
... surprised to drop by OWC's booth at CES to see a mechanical sample of its forthcoming LSI SF3700 based PCIe SSD. OWC plans on offering aftermarket ...

Pioneer Demos Apple CarPlay For The Aftermarket
In April , Pioneer became the first company to announce it would bring Apple CarPlay to the aftermarket. This week, the first demos of Pioneers ...

Pioneer aftermarket car stereos & Spotify both add support for Apple's CarPlay
Though it arrived later than expected, Pioneer on Thursday supplied updates for its existing NEX lineup of car stereos to support Apple's CarPlay. ...