Thinkpad Z60T aftermarket battery not recognized

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi everyone,
My OEM battery on my Z60T died a month ago so I went online and
ordered an aftermarket battery that I was assured was compatible with
my model of thinkpad.
However, when i pop it in, the orange low battery light keeps flashing
and the system doesnt seem to charge it.

The online webstore is located near where I live so I drove over to
have it changed thinking it was a problem with the battery they
shipped me. They were kind enough to let me try their entire stock of
(aftermarket) batteries of which only two were recognized by the
system (intermittently - almost as though there is a loose contact). I
did notice that the aftermarkets didnt fit as snugly into the battery
slot as the OEM but the latch works just fine and since it looked like
it was working i picked one of the new ones.

Well, thats the last time I have seen the battery working; i know its
fully charged but my system doesnt recognize the battery at all ; the
power indicator shows "Battery Not Installed" and if i unplug the
power the computer instantly shuts down. However, I do know that the
system did see the battery initially since it gave me a system alert
that a "Non genuine Lenovo battery was installed on the system"

Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?

thanks
0
Reply yezdi 12/4/2007 9:48:46 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:48:46 -0800 (PST) yezdi.lashkari@gmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
> precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
> fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
> something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?

Return the after market battery for a refund.

Take the old battery to an Interstate Battery store,
<http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/default.asp> and ask them to
rebuild it.  They can open it up and replace the cells.
--
Ernie B.

Communication:  The art of moving an idea from one mind to another, hopefully
without distortion.
0
Reply Ernie 12/5/2007 1:32:33 AM

wrote:

>Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
>precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
>fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
>something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?
>
>thanks

Either those batteries are crap, or your laptop is defective.  I've
seen laptops fail in a way that causes them not to work with the
battery.  It's possible that your original IBM battery wasn't the
problem.  I would try a known good battery in your laptop (or try
yours in another thinkpad).
Andy Cuffe

acuffe@gmail.com
0
Reply Andy 12/5/2007 5:07:34 AM
comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad 805 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Thinkpad 600 and aftermarket batteries
Anybody pleased with buying re-manufactured batteries for the TP600? I bought one. It charged in an hour but got less than 9 minutes operation on battery (said ATB brand). Tried several full charge/discharge operations to no avail. Store promptly sent a replacement (no name on this one). It took forever to charge (nearly 4 hours) but worked and I got about 1-1/2 hours on the battery (doing nothing but letting it run down with full power on LCD screen). Did a couple full charge/discharges for good measure. Subsequent charge times were about 3 hours, battery lasted about 1-1/2 hours. Ne...

Thinkpad X21. Battery ok, thinkpad does not power on
Hello, I have a problem with my Thinkpad X21. I have two batteries, which both deliver (as soon as the system is running) approx 3 1/2 to 4 hrs of operation time, so the batteries are ok. But something strange happened to me. Since a certain date it is not possible to turn the x21 on if only the battery is inserted (no AC power). Only a few minutes after charging the battery it can be powered on from battery. As soon as it is running (when pluggin AC and Battery it can be turned on), the battery is working fine and the system can be disconnected from AC (and send to sleep mode...

THINKPAD Batteries -
I need to replace a battery in a Thinkpad 380 The existing battery is Ni-MH at 8.4 volts I notice however that replacement Li-ion batteries for the 380 (which I'd prefer) are listed as 10.8 volts. Probably a dumb question but are these Li-ion batteries compatible? "jeff" <jeffxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%Kutg.140103$771.40665@edtnps89... >I need to replace a battery in a Thinkpad 380 > > The existing battery is Ni-MH at 8.4 volts > > I notice however that replacement Li-ion batteries for the 380 (which I'd > prefer) are listed as 10.8...

I found a good site of IBM thinkpad batteries.Just look it, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk
Hi,everyone, I bought a battery of ibm thindpad r31 from a online store, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk .It is a preffesional online store for ibm thinkpad.All of the batteries not only have cheap price and excellent quality,but also have 1 year warranty and quickly deliver.f you are looking for replacement IBM laptop batteries,such as IBM laptop battery thinkpad 600,IBM thinkpad 600e,IBM R31,IBM R32,IBM T20,IBM T22,IBM T23,IBM R40 and so on,please go there,they are your resonable choice. Best regards, Roy ...

Thinkpad X21 Batteries
question about batteries for the Thinkpad X21... Poking around, I have found the following specifications for batteries that suppsedly work in the X21 : 14.4V 1700mAH 10.8V 3600mAH 10.8V 4000mAH 10.8V 4400mAH now, apparently the 10.8V version will not work with the X30 series, while the 14.4V does. my X21 came with a 10.8V 3600mAH. is there a definitive source of which of these really exist and what their FRUs are ? Do the higher capacities batteries really exist ? the on-line store does not specify the capacity of the battery they sell for the X21, what are you likely to get ? does an...

dead thinkpad battery
Hi I just bought a used thinkpad x23. The battery is for all intents and purposes non existent. It shows up as 100% charged but has 0 milli amp hours left. Is there a way to resurrect it? I have frozen it overnight, but that has not worked.... acprkit wrote: > Hi > > I just bought a used thinkpad x23. The battery is for all intents and > purposes non existent. It shows up as 100% charged but has 0 milli amp > hours left. Is there a way to resurrect it? I have frozen it > overnight, but that has not worked.... > I thought this was interesting Ask Wiki Laptop Battery...

thinkpad battery recall
hi as ibm lenovo recalled batteries i get a new one a few month ago for my thinkpad. The old one is not working anymore, although i load it for 2 hours, it gets empty in 1 minute or so. Have they put a spy in my computer? how can I remove it? thanks In news:314e2475-6ff1-496d-b6d8-ad9231d570f9@l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com, louisrom1@gmail.com typed on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:55:25 -0800 (PST): > hi > > as ibm lenovo recalled batteries i get a new one a few month ago for > my thinkpad. > The old one is not working anymore, > although i load it for 2 hours, it gets empty in 1 m...

thinkpad battery problem?
A friend of ours has an ibm thinkpad. He leaves the battery in even though he has the laptop plugged in to the ac. A few days ago the computer got left on overnight (he usually turns it off after using it) and in the morning the battery was dead, even though it was plugged in to the ac. It took a long time to recharge the battery (after turning the computer off). Now the computer is having alot of problems freezing and programs not functioning right. Any ideas what's wrong other than a virus, etc.? Could the battery have caused this? There are still problems when the battery is removed. ...

thinkpad battery dies
hi just picked up 2nd habd thinkpad 600 when using battery the meter gets to aroun 60% then drops straight down to 4% and asks me to shutdown, I know battary is getting on but is there anyway to reset/revive batteries????? because a new one is going to be �80 laptop/wifi card only cost me �140 Battery life sucks on the thinkpad, at least on the 600 series. Even a brand new batt will do that within a year. ...