Thinkpad Z60T aftermarket battery not recognized

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi everyone,
My OEM battery on my Z60T died a month ago so I went online and
ordered an aftermarket battery that I was assured was compatible with
my model of thinkpad.
However, when i pop it in, the orange low battery light keeps flashing
and the system doesnt seem to charge it.

The online webstore is located near where I live so I drove over to
have it changed thinking it was a problem with the battery they
shipped me. They were kind enough to let me try their entire stock of
(aftermarket) batteries of which only two were recognized by the
system (intermittently - almost as though there is a loose contact). I
did notice that the aftermarkets didnt fit as snugly into the battery
slot as the OEM but the latch works just fine and since it looked like
it was working i picked one of the new ones.

Well, thats the last time I have seen the battery working; i know its
fully charged but my system doesnt recognize the battery at all ; the
power indicator shows "Battery Not Installed" and if i unplug the
power the computer instantly shuts down. However, I do know that the
system did see the battery initially since it gave me a system alert
that a "Non genuine Lenovo battery was installed on the system"

Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?

thanks
0
Reply yezdi 12/4/2007 9:48:46 PM

See related articles to this posting

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 13:48:46 -0800 (PST) yezdi.lashkari@gmail.com wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
> precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
> fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
> something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?

Return the after market battery for a refund.

Take the old battery to an Interstate Battery store,
<http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/default.asp> and ask them to
rebuild it.  They can open it up and replace the cells.
--
Ernie B.

Communication:  The art of moving an idea from one mind to another, hopefully
without distortion.
0
Reply Ernie 12/5/2007 1:32:33 AM

wrote:

>Does anyone have suggestions? It seems that Lenovo/IBM is deliberately
>precluding the use of aftermarkets somehow. Any ideas on whether I can
>fix this (ie is it a loose contact in the charging circuit or
>something else)?  Will I have to buy a new battery from Lenovo?
>
>thanks

Either those batteries are crap, or your laptop is defective.  I've
seen laptops fail in a way that causes them not to work with the
battery.  It's possible that your original IBM battery wasn't the
problem.  I would try a known good battery in your laptop (or try
yours in another thinkpad).
Andy Cuffe

acuffe@gmail.com
0
Reply Andy 12/5/2007 5:07:34 AM
comp.sys.laptops.thinkpad 807 articles. 1 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Thinkpad 600 and aftermarket batteries
Anybody pleased with buying re-manufactured batteries for the TP600? I bought one. It charged in an hour but got less than 9 minutes operation on battery (said ATB brand). Tried several full charge/discharge operations to no avail. Store promptly sent a replacement (no name on this one). It took forever to charge (nearly 4 hours) but worked and I got about 1-1/2 hours on the battery (doing nothing but letting it run down with full power on LCD screen). Did a couple full charge/discharges for good measure. Subsequent charge times were about 3 hours, battery lasted about 1-1/2 hours. Ne...

Thinkpad X21. Battery ok, thinkpad does not power on
Hello, I have a problem with my Thinkpad X21. I have two batteries, which both deliver (as soon as the system is running) approx 3 1/2 to 4 hrs of operation time, so the batteries are ok. But something strange happened to me. Since a certain date it is not possible to turn the x21 on if only the battery is inserted (no AC power). Only a few minutes after charging the battery it can be powered on from battery. As soon as it is running (when pluggin AC and Battery it can be turned on), the battery is working fine and the system can be disconnected from AC (and send to sleep mode...

THINKPAD Batteries -
I need to replace a battery in a Thinkpad 380 The existing battery is Ni-MH at 8.4 volts I notice however that replacement Li-ion batteries for the 380 (which I'd prefer) are listed as 10.8 volts. Probably a dumb question but are these Li-ion batteries compatible? "jeff" <jeffxx@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%Kutg.140103$771.40665@edtnps89... >I need to replace a battery in a Thinkpad 380 > > The existing battery is Ni-MH at 8.4 volts > > I notice however that replacement Li-ion batteries for the 380 (which I'd > prefer) are listed as 10.8...

I found a good site of IBM thinkpad batteries.Just look it, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk
Hi,everyone, I bought a battery of ibm thindpad r31 from a online store, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk .It is a preffesional online store for ibm thinkpad.All of the batteries not only have cheap price and excellent quality,but also have 1 year warranty and quickly deliver.f you are looking for replacement IBM laptop batteries,such as IBM laptop battery thinkpad 600,IBM thinkpad 600e,IBM R31,IBM R32,IBM T20,IBM T22,IBM T23,IBM R40 and so on,please go there,they are your resonable choice. Best regards, Roy ...

ThinkPad battery DIY
I have replaced my A22m battery cell with 6 pcs 2200mA new cell. Does anyone knows how to clear/reset the battery control circuit? because the computer is not reporting the right battery status, including full charge capacity, design capacity, cycle count etc. Many thanks! Alpha7 ...

Thinkpad X21 Batteries
question about batteries for the Thinkpad X21... Poking around, I have found the following specifications for batteries that suppsedly work in the X21 : 14.4V 1700mAH 10.8V 3600mAH 10.8V 4000mAH 10.8V 4400mAH now, apparently the 10.8V version will not work with the X30 series, while the 14.4V does. my X21 came with a 10.8V 3600mAH. is there a definitive source of which of these really exist and what their FRUs are ? Do the higher capacities batteries really exist ? the on-line store does not specify the capacity of the battery they sell for the X21, what are you likely to get ? does an...

dead thinkpad battery
Hi I just bought a used thinkpad x23. The battery is for all intents and purposes non existent. It shows up as 100% charged but has 0 milli amp hours left. Is there a way to resurrect it? I have frozen it overnight, but that has not worked.... acprkit wrote: > Hi > > I just bought a used thinkpad x23. The battery is for all intents and > purposes non existent. It shows up as 100% charged but has 0 milli amp > hours left. Is there a way to resurrect it? I have frozen it > overnight, but that has not worked.... > I thought this was interesting Ask Wiki Laptop Battery...

thinkpad battery recall
hi as ibm lenovo recalled batteries i get a new one a few month ago for my thinkpad. The old one is not working anymore, although i load it for 2 hours, it gets empty in 1 minute or so. Have they put a spy in my computer? how can I remove it? thanks In news:314e2475-6ff1-496d-b6d8-ad9231d570f9@l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com, louisrom1@gmail.com typed on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 03:55:25 -0800 (PST): > hi > > as ibm lenovo recalled batteries i get a new one a few month ago for > my thinkpad. > The old one is not working anymore, > although i load it for 2 hours, it gets empty in 1 m...

thinkpad battery problem?
A friend of ours has an ibm thinkpad. He leaves the battery in even though he has the laptop plugged in to the ac. A few days ago the computer got left on overnight (he usually turns it off after using it) and in the morning the battery was dead, even though it was plugged in to the ac. It took a long time to recharge the battery (after turning the computer off). Now the computer is having alot of problems freezing and programs not functioning right. Any ideas what's wrong other than a virus, etc.? Could the battery have caused this? There are still problems when the battery is removed. ...

thinkpad battery dies
hi just picked up 2nd habd thinkpad 600 when using battery the meter gets to aroun 60% then drops straight down to 4% and asks me to shutdown, I know battary is getting on but is there anyway to reset/revive batteries????? because a new one is going to be �80 laptop/wifi card only cost me �140 Battery life sucks on the thinkpad, at least on the 600 series. Even a brand new batt will do that within a year. ...

Thinkpad CMOS Battery
Every time I start this IBM ThinkPad 570 I get the setup screen to enter the date and time. Would I be correct in diagnosing this as a dead CMOS battery? Could anyone tell me how I replace it? Ron S wrote: > Every time I start this IBM ThinkPad 570 I get the setup screen to enter > the date and time. Would I be correct in diagnosing this as a dead CMOS > battery? Could anyone tell me how I replace it? Try here for the maintenance manual; http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4793QA Pen wrote: > Ron S wrote: >> Every tim...

Macbook not recognizing battery
Is there a known issue with the Macbook not recognizing its battery? My wife's almost-new machine is in this state right now. When you plug in the charger, the LED goes green immediately; the menu bar icon shows an x'd out battery. Tried resetting PMU already. In article <1154204660.001087.119380@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, zwsdotcom@gmail.com wrote: > Is there a known issue with the Macbook not recognizing its battery? My > wife's almost-new machine is in this state right now. When you plug in > the charger, the LED goes green immediately; the menu ...

Thinkpad battery terminals
Anybody know the function of each of the 7 terminals on the battery of a Thinkpad model 1410 i Series. The FRU P/N is 02K6526. I especially want the identity of the terminals which supply the power for the laptop. Bill D. ...

Thinkpad with 2 batteries
Hi there, I�m working on a Thinkpad T43 with a second battery in the Multibay slot. I want this second battery to be used only when the main battery got emtpy, so that the PC still got power to change the main battery during operation. It really think, this would be a great feature IBM should be interested in - besides it�s not hard to implement in the engery manager. Does s.o. know where to put this suggestion for improvement to IBM / Lenovo? Is there an extenstion or third-party tool? Maybe does someone know where to post this request better than to this group?! Greetings...

IBM ThinkPad battery question
A friend gave me their old IBM ThinkPad T22. Although it runs fine off of the AC power supply, it won't run at all off the battery. I thought even a worn out rechargeable battery would hold a charge for a short time, but except for the green battery indicator coming on, this acts as if there's no battery at all. If I'm running it on AC and unplug the cord, it dies immediately. Is there anything I could do to confirm that it's actually a bad battery, and not something else, before forking out the $$ on a new battery? Thanks for any help. I appreciate it. Pat &q...

thinkpad 380ed battery question
I have been given an IBM 380ED laptop. Whilst the computer works fine connected to the power supply, the battery does not seem to hold the charge once the external power supply is removed. The symptoms are as follows: Orange light charging battery. Green light battery fully charged. Remove power supply/charger. Battery completely dead.. Reconnect power supply/charger. Bettery indicator orange again. Assuming correctly I probably just need a new battey? Gregory Kleverlaan <g12345567@nospam.yahoo.net.au> wrote: : I have been given an IBM 380ED laptop. : Whilst the computer work...

Thinkpad 600X battery advice
I have a 600X--just a fantastic workhorse--that I bought used as part of a lot that came from a business that went under. When it arrived a little over 1.5 years ago, the battery didn't take a full charge and the company I ordered it from sent me a brand new off-brand battery. It has worked well, but is now down to about 35% max charge with a working time of about a half hour. There are an overwhelming number of battery options. I can't really afford a new one from IBM (over $200) but don't want a piece of crap that will die in a year for 90 bucks either. Has anyone had experience...

about IBM THINKPAD A30 battery
Sorry,i dont know what's wrong with the IBM THINKPAD A30 battery,but if you want to buy a new one(cheap but high quality),you can visit: http://www.lithium-batteries.net/laptop/ibm/thinkpad-a30-battery.html US http://www.batterybase.co.uk/laptop-batteries/ibm-thinkpad-a30.php UK All our products have passed strict quality assurance procedures to achieve international standards such as CE, UL Listed, and/or ISO9001/9002 certification. In addition, we provide a full one year warranty and a 30-day money-back policy on every product we sell. ...

thinkpad 600e battery problem
When I upgraded to Win2000 from Win98, the system would no longer charge the battery. There is a "program" that will adapt the charging system, but I can't find it. Can anyone help? Henry & Kaye Snyder wrote: > When I upgraded to Win2000 from Win98, the system would no longer charge the > battery. There is a "program" that will adapt the charging system, but I > can't find it. Can anyone help? > > did you look for drivers for your tp 600 at pc.ibm.com/support? ...

Source for Thinkpad 600 battery???
My college daughters IBM battery has died. If the battery is in the laptop it wont even start. Take the battery out and it will run on AC power. So, I'm looking for a battery. I see about $170 at batteries.com and $80 for a "new" one on e-bay. How do I know if the battery I buy is "new"???? Any suggested sources? I'm new to laptops and have never bought a battery for one before so any advice is greatly appreciated. TIA Steve IBM farmed out the Battery design for the 600 to Panasonic and were absolute GARBAGE, a fact IBM refused to fess up to. Panasonic plac...

Thinkpad 760 battery replacement ?
I give up. I have a TP 760 and cannot understand how to access and replace the CMOS battery. Any clues ? While I'm at it, it may be futile anyway. I am assuming a Power On error signal that sounds like a siren starting high and falling low and repeating indicates either a low CMOS battery or low regular battery ? Or is it more serious indicating a failed motherboard or whatever... in which case, please disregard this entire post. Any help would be much appreciated... Bob ...

thinkpad freezes on adapter but not on battery
This is an ibm thinkpad i series, model 1492. Some of the power adapters for this model were defective and caused fires or burned out mainboards. This one started freezing after about 20 minutes plugged in. The ibm tech people thought the mainboard was burned out. Dr. Dos said nothing was wrong. I saw a post where someone was advising to try using just the battery, which we did, and it hasn't frozen after 1 hr. 15 minutes. I was wondering if replacing the power connector (on the laptop) might fix it. (IBM already replaced the power adapter - it was on recall.) Would appreciate any help...

Thinkpad 560x battery problem
Hi, I just sold a Thinkpad 560x to my friend and he says that the batteries do not charge nor will it start up from the batteries. I had not used the laptop for a couple of years but I am certain that the batteries were fine when I stored the unit. Any suggestions or direction to site which may be able to help. Thank you in advance. Mike Mike Roe wrote: > > Hi, > I just sold a Thinkpad 560x to my friend and he says that the batteries do > not charge nor will it start up from the batteries. I had not used the > laptop for a couple of years but I am certain that the batteries ...

Battery replacement, ThinkPad R31
Folks, Can anyone point me at any useful documentation that details how to do this job please? TIA, B. Previously brennig jones <brennig@brennigjones.com_remove> wrote: > Folks, > Can anyone point me at any useful documentation that details how to do this > job please? Go to the web and buy a new one? Seriously, these batteries have controllers that record their history and protect the cells from being mishandled. Mishandled cells can result in fire or explosion. This is a real risk with the type of cells used! Of course the manufacturers er...