can I enhance usb capabilities of my laptop thru a port replicator with usb-2.0?

Hi

I have a hp business laptop, with just 2 usb-1.0 ports. If I buy a
compatible port replicator with usb-2.0 that connects to the docking
connector in the bottom, will it help me to get the usb 2.0 support?

I have a USB2.0 pcmcia adapter, but I have found that it sometimes
make my laptop unstable. My basic reason is to connect my portable
hard disk to usb-2.0 ports.

TYIA,
Sree
0
sreekumar (1)

Sreekumar <sreekumar@postmark.net> wrote:
: Hi

: I have a hp business laptop, with just 2 usb-1.0 ports. If I buy a
: compatible port replicator with usb-2.0 that connects to the docking
: connector in the bottom, will it help me to get the usb 2.0 support?

: I have a USB2.0 pcmcia adapter, but I have found that it sometimes
: make my laptop unstable. My basic reason is to connect my portable
: hard disk to usb-2.0 ports.

What operating system are you using?  You need USB 2.0 drivers as
wellas the hardware.  Are you sure you have the correct drivers
installed for the new USB card?  If you have Windows XP, it's probably
already done.  On something older like Windows 98, could be more
difficult.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
 ----> http://www.bizave.com  <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info

No, a USB hub won't change USB 1.0 into 2.0, if connected to a USB 1.0
root USB port, the hub will operate at USB 1.0 speeds only.

Sreekumar wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a hp business laptop, with just 2 usb-1.0 ports. If I buy a
> compatible port replicator with usb-2.0 that connects to the docking
> connector in the bottom, will it help me to get the usb 2.0 support?
>
> I have a USB2.0 pcmcia adapter, but I have found that it sometimes
> make my laptop unstable. My basic reason is to connect my portable
> hard disk to usb-2.0 ports.
>
> TYIA,
> Sree

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
1/21/2004 4:47:31 AM
Sreekumar <sreekumar@postmark.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a hp business laptop, with just 2 usb-1.0 ports. If I buy a
> compatible port replicator with usb-2.0 that connects to the docking
> connector in the bottom, will it help me to get the usb 2.0 support?

No, if the MB of the laptop only has USB1.1 support, then that's all you'll
from the docking station. The connecters on the docking station are only
pass-throughs of what's in the laptop, not separate HUBs.

Regards,

James

0
James4671 (373)