can I enhance usb capabilities of my laptop thru a port replicator with usb-2.0?

Hi

I have a hp business laptop, with just 2 usb-1.0 ports. If I buy a
compatible port replicator with usb-2.0 that connects to the docking
connector in the bottom, will it help me to get the usb 2.0 support?

I have a USB2.0 pcmcia adapter, but I have found that it sometimes
make my laptop unstable. My basic reason is to connect my portable
hard disk to usb-2.0 ports.

TYIA,
Sree
0
sreekumar (1)

Sreekumar <sreekumar@postmark.net> wrote:
: Hi

: I have a hp business laptop, with just 2 usb-1.0 ports. If I buy a
: compatible port replicator with usb-2.0 that connects to the docking
: connector in the bottom, will it help me to get the usb 2.0 support?

: I have a USB2.0 pcmcia adapter, but I have found that it sometimes
: make my laptop unstable. My basic reason is to connect my portable
: hard disk to usb-2.0 ports.

What operating system are you using?  You need USB 2.0 drivers as
wellas the hardware.  Are you sure you have the correct drivers
installed for the new USB card?  If you have Windows XP, it's probably
already done.  On something older like Windows 98, could be more
difficult.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
 ----> http://www.bizave.com  <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info

No, a USB hub won't change USB 1.0 into 2.0, if connected to a USB 1.0
root USB port, the hub will operate at USB 1.0 speeds only.

Sreekumar wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a hp business laptop, with just 2 usb-1.0 ports. If I buy a
> compatible port replicator with usb-2.0 that connects to the docking
> connector in the bottom, will it help me to get the usb 2.0 support?
>
> I have a USB2.0 pcmcia adapter, but I have found that it sometimes
> make my laptop unstable. My basic reason is to connect my portable
> hard disk to usb-2.0 ports.
>
> TYIA,
> Sree

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
1/21/2004 4:47:31 AM
Sreekumar <sreekumar@postmark.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a hp business laptop, with just 2 usb-1.0 ports. If I buy a
> compatible port replicator with usb-2.0 that connects to the docking
> connector in the bottom, will it help me to get the usb 2.0 support?

No, if the MB of the laptop only has USB1.1 support, then that's all you'll
from the docking station. The connecters on the docking station are only
pass-throughs of what's in the laptop, not separate HUBs.

Regards,

James

0
James4671 (373)

laptop usb 1.1 + scanner usb 2.0 + modem ADSL = ?????!!!!!*****
I have a laptop with a single USB 1.1 port. My new scanner (Epson 3170 usb 2.0) works fine with it and so does my ADSL modem but both can't work together. I have tried to make them "cooperate" with a Sitecom Usb pocket hub which needs an external power adapter and of course it doesn't work without it; do you think it would work if I had one? Or is there any other possibility (Pcmcia/usb card for example)? Thank you for your future wise advice. Good chance powered hub will work, but not guaranteed. Is your modem USB only? If ethernet also, as one more option, y...

Something like FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? Parallel -> USB with real USB 2.0 bandwidth ?
Hello, is there a chip, in functionality like a FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? I found on websites mentioning the FT245BM compatible for USB 2.0, but i think they don't use USB 2.0, because transfer rate is "only" 1 MByte/s, which looks like high speed USB. Is there a faster parallel USB chip, which achieves more than 1 MByte / s ? I think with USB 2.0 there must be at least a factor of 10 to this speed ? Regards, Martin "Martin Maurer" <capiman@clibb.de> wrote in news:c26q04$kkf$04$1@news.t-online.com: > Hello, > > is there a chip, in functional...

Upgrade laptop USB 1 to USB 2
Hi, I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT have a PMCIA slot. Any help here please. It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. Thanks for any help. rock In news:477d8500$0$32673$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au, Rock typed on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:57:43 +1100: > Hi, > > I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 t...

Change laptop USB 1 to USB 2
Hi, I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT have a PMCIA slot. Any help here please. It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. Thanks for any help. rock ...

Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port?
Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port? I'm planning on upgrading my PowerMAC G4 to a Mac Pro in a month or so. I've got a lot (10+ Gb) of sensitive data files I'd like to backup on a small USB drive. TIA Bob phule92 <heoqadv02@sneakemail.com> wrote: > Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port? > > I'm planning on upgrading my PowerMAC G4 to a Mac Pro in a month or > so. I've got a lot (10+ Gb) of sensitive data files I'd like to backup > on a small USB drive. It should work, but will be slow. Assume USB's best possible...

PCMCIA USB 2.0 card powers down laptop on insertion #2
Hi, I recently bought a this usb card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150). The thing worked fine for about a week, but now whenever I insert the card into the slot, the computer instantly shuts off. I tried the second slot, with the same effect. I also tried booting with the card already inserted, but it powers off during boot. I'm using WinXP, and have the appropriate drivers installed. Yesterday, I tried taking out my laptop battery, thinking it was some sort of power problem (as the battery is old and decaying anyway) , and the card worked again on boot. Today, I did the same thing...

How can I tell if my PC has USB or the new USB 2.0?
I have been trying to figure this out for a while, and do not know how!! klhurst3@aol.com (Klhurst3) wrote in news:20031214172608.26022.00000901@mb- m06.aol.com: > I have been trying to figure this out for a while, and do not know how!! See http://www.everythingusb.com/usb2/faq.htm ...

USB 2.0
Hi all: In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can all be recognized, but only on the Zonet card the hard drive is recognized. Even so, the speed is very slow. Transfering a file of 1GB will take about 25-27 minutes. I have also tried an Acomdata external harddrive, which works great with an IBM laptop, and see the same thing. BTW, the time for transfering a 1GB file on the IBM is about 6-7 minutes. It is not as quick as ...

2 USB ports on Canon i960. Can I use 1.1 on Win 98SE and 2.0 on Win XP?
The Canon i960 printer has two USB ports on the back, one for 1.1 speed and another for 2.0 speed. Question: can I hook up a computer running Win 98SE that uses only the 1.1 speed to the 1.1 port while simultaneously hooking up a new computer running Win XP to use the 2.0 port on the printer? Would it damage the printer if both computers were on at the same time or would I have to keep one turned off at all times to protect the printer. Never mind the EULA, yeesh. If I used a print server, I don't know that it would allow the printer to differentiate between the slow speed and the fast speed because only one cable comes out of the print server to the printer, and that would be the slow speed default USB port. ...

Power rating on Laptop USB ports #2
Are all USB 2.0 ports on Laptops rated at 500ma? I have several Freecom USB 2 drives that require a 500ma port - so they will run without need of a power supply thanks Clive ...

Will this add USB 2.0 to my laptop?
Saw this http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?ProductID=CBUSB2&topbar=topba rio.htm Its a 3 port Card Bus Notebook USB 2.0 card. Will this work on my inspiron 8200 laptop which is USB 1.1? And will it mean that it will become USB 2.0? Have heard that there may be issues if I use the 1.1 device at the same time. Any help would be appreciated. Was thinking of buying a USB hub but this seems even better for the same price. Any other suggestions? Bob. It should work, however you need to load the WINXP SP1 update, if you are using WINXP, or load the 98SE USB2 drivers if no...

Toshiba laptop
Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 with XP Pro installed. How do I upgrade to USB 2.0? Is it a matter of just downloading a driver, or do I need to buy a card? I tried downloading Win XP Service Pack 1a, which has a USB 2 driver, but for some reason it will never finish downloading. The download screen shows "100% completed", but then it just hangs and does not write the file to my HD. Any suggestions? Thanks. "Maw888" <maw888@aol.comnospam> skrev i en meddelelse news:20031017203242.27794.00000999@mb-m04.aol.com... > Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 ...

USB 2.0 Device compatible to USB 1.1 port?
Dear all, I'm interested in purchasing a new scanner, but my computer does not have the newer USB 2.0 ports in the back, only the 1.1 ports. Can I safely hook up a scanner that has USB 2.0 output? Thanks! "Bogrod" <bo130@excite.com> wrote in message news:452bc0dc.0312090809.60f1cfdd@posting.google.com... > Dear all, > > I'm interested in purchasing a new scanner, but my computer does > not have the newer USB 2.0 ports in the back, only the 1.1 ports. Can > I safely hook up a scanner that has USB 2.0 output? Thanks! Yes, th...

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0
Recently; i found myself over at Best Buy and Found a Toshiba Hard Drive,= =20 1 Tb for $99 and i thought; 'That is too good to be true.' and also; Toshiba ??? Would they betray me ? So i bought it. And i did get it to work a little bit, which would suggest that the USB 3.0= cable that came with it, Would work with my MacBook and its USB 2.0 Vulvas= ,=20 but it didn't work very well. The Plug was 'Wiggly' And the Cable that came= with it was like 4 inches long, and it is Very Difficult to find an Extens= ion Cable for this sort of thing. i wanted to just dr...

move ZFS mountpoint from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0 port
I created a mountpoint called /tdusb1 on a USB 1.1 port conncted to a 1TB LaCie hard drive. I discoverd that our system has a USB 2.0 port and want to move the logical mountpoint to a new physical USB port. How do I do it? Actually, I will need to do the same sort of thing from one Solaris 10 system to another in the future. I don't care about plug-and-play and hot swappable as long as I can read the same drive from different Sun systems. I assume that there are ZFS related commands for doing this but don't want to experiment too much as the USB hard drive already has valuable stuff ...

Mini: Can I use a usb 802.11g usb 2.0 adapter for wireless?
I couldn't find the answer in other posts, although people suggested it as a "reasonable costly" upgrade. I have a netgear wg111t usb G adapter. I don't know how to get OSX 10.3.7 to recognize it on my 1.25 Ghz, 1Gb Ram Mac Mini. I switched from mac to pc 2 years ago, and now am coming back. Can I? How? Any ideas? Thank you so much! mark In article <1141165551.402749.35410@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>, "TheIdeaGuy" <login@12z.us> wrote: > I couldn't find the answer in other posts, although people suggested it > as a "reasonabl...

usb 2.0 cardbus hangs laptop (ehci problem)
Hi, I have just upgraded to debian testing (latest kernel) on my old laptop. I hoped the newest kernel would solve this issue, but it's still here. I am trying to use a pcmcia (cardbus) usb 2.0 card. It's found & usb driver are loaded. (see next). But when I connect an usb2.0 device (such as dvb-t card) the laptop hangs until I remove the card. Googling I've found a similar problem, and it pointed to the ehci. disabling ehci (removing the kernel driver after plugging in the card) solves the hangs. But this way I have a usb1.1 and I need a 2.0 for the tv card. any idea? thes...

usb 2.0 cardbus hangs laptop (ehci problem)
Hi, I have just upgraded to debian testing (latest kernel) on my old laptop. I hoped the newest kernel would solve this issue, but it's still here. I am trying to use a pcmcia (cardbus) usb 2.0 card. It's found & usb driver are loaded. (see next). But when I connect an usb2.0 device (such as dvb-t card) the laptop hangs until I remove the card. Googling I've found a similar problem, and it pointed to the ehci. disabling ehci (removing the kernel driver after plugging in the card) solves the hangs. But this way I have a usb1.1 and I need a 2.0 for the tv card. any idea? these...

PCMCIA USB 2.0 card powers down laptop on insertion
Hi, I recently bought a this usb card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150). The thing worked fine for about a week, but now whenever I insert the card into the slot, the computer instantly shuts off. I tried the second slot, with the same effect. I also tried booting with the card already inserted, but it powers off during boot. I'm using WinXP, and have the appropriate drivers installed. Yesterday, I tried taking out my laptop battery, thinking it was some sort of power problem (as the battery is old and decaying anyway) , and the card worked again on boot. Today, I did the same thing...

Convert USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 Crazy?
Sounds useless, since most USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible. But ap= parently there's enough slop in the spec so that at least my 3.0 HD won't w= ork with my Netgear WNDR4000 N700 router's USB 2.0 port, and I can't mount = it as a network drive on my Macbook Pro Retina. You'd expect that the comp= atibility is achieved by some part of the doohickies ignoring the 3.0 conne= ctions and shuffling control signals to their 2.0 counterparts. In any cas= e, the Netgear's not smart enough to do that or something. Ideally, what I'd like is to have my USB 3...

Laptop Drives for USB 2.0 (4200 v. 5400)
I've been looking for information about USB 2.0 performance using external 5400 rpm 2-1/2" drives versus 4200. I'm inclinded to believe that there would be little difference in performance for backing up large images. Has anyone seen any info or had experience with this? Thanks. > I've been looking for information about USB 2.0 performance using > external 5400 rpm 2-1/2" drives versus 4200. I'm inclinded to believe > that there would be little difference in performance for backing up > large images. Has anyone seen any info or had experience ...

New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports
I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports. Will a new printer with a USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop? I heard it will - but will be slower than designed to be. I am planning on getting another HP OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!). Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable? Is there a difference between USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?). Thanks! Paula On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote: >I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 >year o...

PCMCIA USB 2.0 card powers down laptop on insertion #3
Hi, I recently bought a this usb card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150). The thing worked fine for about a week, but now whenever I insert the card into the slot, the computer instantly shuts off. I tried the second slot, with the same effect. I also tried booting with the card already inserted, but it powers off during boot. I'm using WinXP, and have the appropriate drivers installed. Yesterday, I tried taking out my laptop battery, thinking it was some sort of power problem (as the battery is old and decaying anyway) , and the card worked again on boot. Today, I did the same thing...

Digital TV on a laptop through USB 2.0 device, does it work for anyone here?
Would like to hear from anyone having good results viewing this. I have a Toshiba M35X with integrated video, and it has trouble playing back some high-resolution, high-motion videos from its own hard drive, so I imagine this would even be worse playing back a digital video image filtered through its USB port. The varous websites touting digital TV adaptors are all a bit coy on the quality of display produced on laptops, and some specify that integrated graphics cards won't work. Frozen or pixilated images really ruin my experience of watching TV on a laptop. I can receive ...

Web resources about - can I enhance usb capabilities of my laptop thru a port replicator with usb-2.0? - comp.sys.laptops

Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations/Low Intensity Conflict & Interdependent Capabilities ...
The Assistant Secretary of Defense for Special Operations/Low Intensity Conflict & Interdependent Capabilities , or ASD(SO/LIC&IC) is the principal ...

Facebook Adds Cover Photo Capabilities To IOS App
Facebook pushed its latest iOS native application update Monday, giving users the ability to change their cover photos from their phones or tablets. ...

Expanded Capabilities for Lookalike Audiences
Advertisers can now create lookalikes based on people who visit their websites, use their mobile apps, or are connected to their Facebook Pages. ...

Facebook strengthens U.S. Hispanic marketing capabilities
Facebook has decided to tap into the growing Hispanic market by assisting businesses with new tools to reach this demographic. In the U.S., 23 ...

Science at Cal - Anton Tremsin - Amazing Capabilities of Neutron Imaging - YouTube
The detection technology which we developed for NASA astrophysical missions at UC Berkeley's Space Sciences Laboratory has been successfully ...

High-speed video still bogged down by inadequate streaming capabilities
Australian broadband continues to linger well behind countries such as South Korea and the United States.

Google developing tablet with advanced vision capabilities: report
Google is developing a new 7-inch tablet that can capture 3D images, and plans to produce about 4000 of these prototypes beginning next month, ...

Threat hype for Islamic State doesn't match its capabilities or reach
Since 9/11, US pundits have beat the war drum at each crisis but there are no recorded occurrences of foreign-trained jihadis returning to strike ...

Sony shows off PlayStation 4 capabilities, but not the box itself
Sony showed off what the PlayStation 4 can do, but not what it will look like. The Japanese electronics giant talked about its upcoming game ...

China boosts maritime law enforcement capabilities
China boosts maritime law enforcement capabilities People's Daily Online ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31. Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, ...