compaq lte 286 system setup disk

Hi Folks:
      I can't find a good 720K floppy to save my life.  I changed the
bios battery on this computer, and now the hard drive doesn't boot.
I've used a bulk eraser to wipe about a dozen disk that wouldn't format
cleanly, and two of them seemed to format (720k) on a newer computer,
running DOS 6.2. At least it had all it's reported space.  Running the
QRST.EXE with DIAGS80B._01 , I can hear it having problems with a
couple of tracks on the disk.  In the end it says the checksums don't
match.  Could I have a bad image? I can't even format in the compaq.
It claims something wrong with that floppy drive type.  I don't know if
a high density formatted to 720 will work at all..
Thanks for any help.
Harry

0
harryhydro (37)

"HarryHydro" <harryhydro@hotmail.com> writes:
> couple of tracks on the disk.  In the end it says the checksums don't
> match.  Could I have a bad image? I can't even format in the compaq.
> It claims something wrong with that floppy drive type.  I don't know if
> a high density formatted to 720 will work at all..
> Thanks for any help.

You can format HD disks to 720 at some loss in reliability.  You might
try doing the format on an HD drive.  I probably have some 720's in a
box someplace but I have no hope of finding them anytime soon.

It probably can't hurt to run a cleaning disc through the compaq drive.
0
phr.cx (5493)
2/25/2006 10:38:32 PM
Paul Rubin wrote:
> "HarryHydro" <harryhydro@hotmail.com> writes:
> > couple of tracks on the disk.  In the end it says the checksums don't
> > match.  Could I have a bad image? I can't even format in the compaq.
> > It claims something wrong with that floppy drive type.  I don't know if
> > a high density formatted to 720 will work at all..
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> You can format HD disks to 720 at some loss in reliability.  You might
> try doing the format on an HD drive.  I probably have some 720's in a
> box someplace but I have no hope of finding them anytime soon.
>
> It probably can't hurt to run a cleaning disc through the compaq drive.

Hi Folks:  I found what the problem is.  The program, qrst.exe doesn't
like the images and the targets to be the same drive.  I couldn't run
qrst on XP, so I scraped up an old Win98 drive, put it in, copied
qrst.exe and diags80b._01 on the hard drive, and ran it there, at the
DOS prompt (I started in DOS mode).  The qrst program also didn't
indicate that the disc was created, but instead went to make another
one.  I made two, then ESC to quit.  Both 1.44meg floppies that I
plugged and formatted for 720k before this, was created and worked.  My
Hard Drives Back! YYyaaaaayyyyyy!!!
Hydro

0
harryhydro (37)

Laptop
I tring to fix my a Compaq EVO N600c laptop for a friend She had a power outage and serge when it came back on Fried the HD. I replaced the HD with a new one today Tried to book with a Win XP install disk, nothing hapening Cmos tested the HD OK. Since the HD is new and not formatte is this the problem? How to format :cry Sounds like you shouldn't be messing around inside other people's laptops... ;-) Did you set the l/t to boot from CD (i.e did you set CD as first boot device in BIOS.)? WinXP will partition and format the new drive during install. Guy S E Melanson wrote: > I tring to fix my a Compaq EVO N600c laptop for a friend. > She had a power outage and serge when it came back on. > Fried the HD. I replaced the HD with a new one today. > > Tried to book with a Win XP install disk, nothing hapening. > > Cmos tested the HD OK. Since the HD is new and not formatted > is this the problem? How to format? > >> cry: Yes I did set - boot from CD first, thinking that WinXP wouls do th rest But nothing...any other ideas Much appreciate Stephe On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 13:32:51 GMT, melanson@sjvchurch-dot-ca.no-spam.invalid (S E Melanson) wrote: >Yes I did set - boot from CD first, thinking that WinXP wouls do the >rest. > >But nothing...any other ideas? It wasn't the hd, it was the mainboard. Either that or you didn't connect the hd correctly, but I'd bet the former. You need to Partition th...

Compaq LTE 286
Please , if anyone have user manuel for this oldie laptop I need it . Thanks , �eljko ...

Re: Compaq LTE 286
On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:08:50 +0200, �eljko wrote: >Please , if anyone have user manuel for this oldie laptop I need it . [Compaq LTE 286] Try eBay. -- Email address invalid. Please reply to group. Thank you. Inquirer wrote: > On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:08:50 +0200, �eljko wrote: > >> Please , if anyone have user manuel for this oldie laptop I need it >> . [Compaq LTE 286] > > Try eBay. Or, just get it from compaq.com! -- James Visit the Thinkpad Forums http://forum.thinkpads.com Thanks "Inquirer" <reply@group.thanks.invalid> wrote in message news:9oeue2tpfvsr1f6n39sf6t71vvguf51ivo@4ax.com... > On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:08:50 +0200, �eljko wrote: > >>Please , if anyone have user manuel for this oldie laptop I need it . > [Compaq LTE 286] > > Try eBay. > > -- > Email address invalid. Please reply to group. Thank you. Zeljko wrote: > Thanks I'll repeat, what you're looking for is available at the compaq.com (HP.com) website under support. -- James Visit the Thinkpad Forums http://forum.thinkpads.com ...

Re: Does anyone shut down for system disk backup any more? (Know Your System!) System!) System!)
> > It is a bad idea to open files on a remote system or on another cluster > > system > > system-disk. This is perfectly fine for shared data disks - that is the > whole > > point of clustering and RMS - shared resources. > > Then again, all of your systems may share the same system disk. I keep forgetting about that... I do not share my system disk amongst my clustered servers. I keep one system disk for each server. Pros and Cons both ways - however I felt it safer and faster (yes more expensive) to do one disk per server then multiple servers per one di...

Laptop hard disk partitions and system restore
Hey. I have a brand new acer travelmate 2301WLMi. Because the Windows restoration erases whole c-drive and I need lots of space I have thought to repartition the disk so that C-drive would be smaller and D-drive bigger. Is it safely to do that or does it affect the restore operation. XP Home should fit smaller than 20GB! What is the small partition called PQSERVICE in the beginning of the disk (see picture http://liitekuvat.tripod.com/acerinlevyhallinta.PNG )? Can I delete it and recreate as a standard Windows partition? Thank you. Jussi from Finland name wrote: > Hey. > > I have...

Disk Utility on system disk
If I do a disk image of a system disk from that system, I realise there is unpredictability in the state of actively written files and that to be realy safe, one should boot from different disk and backup the system disk. BUT... In real life, will the disk utility generally produce a bootable system drive if it is backing up the active system disk ? (that disk would have few user data files, mostly statis software and obviously page files whose data is not important). When I run it, it doesn't seem to complain about anything. Would it if it were unable to backup some fil...

Compaq 17xl series laptop system boards
Hi. I notice that there are two different system boards used in this series, 198689-001 and 219809-001. There is a different BIOS for each board. What I would like to know is, what is the difference between these boards. Are the BIOS's compatible? Does each board support different speed CPU's? Thanks for any help! ...

Help for an old laptop. Compaq LTE Elite 4/50CX
Ok, once upon a time I used fdisk to repartition the disk of a LTE Elite 4/50CX. Apparently that was the wrong move since it got rid of important data on the hard drive that it need to boot into an OS like DOS 6.2 and Windows 95. I started looking for something that would restore the missing data and only found fixpart.exe from the SoftPaq utility Compaq offers for download. That doesn't work apparently. because whenever I use it and then try to install DOS the DOS setup program wants to partition and format the hard drive. I looked at the fixpart partitions with fdisk and I got really weird information on what the partitions were. It was telling me I had a 4GB hard drive across two Non-DOS partitions when I know I only have a 350MB hard drive. The other two partitions didn't make any sense and they were Non-DOS as well. Can anybody help? Or am I SOL? TIA! ...

HIMEM.SYS memory problem in old Compaq LTE 5100
Howdy: I just installed two 32MB cards of RAM, for a total of 64MB, plus the internal hardwired RAM of 8MB. This all shows up on boot, but then I get this DOS warning: "Windows XMS Driver version 3.95 Extended memory specifications (XMS) version 3.0 ERROR: HIMEM.SYS has detected unreliable XMS memory at address 00800004 XMS driver not installed Check if HIMEM.SYS is in Windows directory" I've checked the Windows directory and see no sign of HIMEM.SYS. Where do I get it and how do I install it? It's an old Compaq LTE 5100. Running Win98 with NO CD-ROM drive! 90MHz CPU. Yeah, I know it'se an old, tired dog. But Granny could use it for email, iffn I can get this RAM to work nice with it. Oh, yeah, the RAM is good, I just had it tested at Transcend in California (type of RAM). -- The Seabat The Seabat wrote: > Howdy: I just installed two 32MB cards of RAM, for a total of 64MB, > plus the internal hardwired RAM of 8MB. This all shows up on boot, but > then I get this DOS warning: > > "Windows XMS Driver version 3.95 > Extended memory specifications (XMS) version 3.0 > ERROR: HIMEM.SYS has detected unreliable XMS memory at address > 00800004 > XMS driver not installed > Check if HIMEM.SYS is in Windows directory" > > I've checked the Windows directory and see no sign of HIMEM.SYS. Where > do I get it and how do I install it? > > It's an old Compaq LTE 5100. Running Win98 with NO CD-ROM d...

HD boots from desktop but "Invalid System Disk" error on laptop?
Hi, I posted here because I think the problem I have is in the MBR of a HD and is not specifically a laptop issue. I purchased a working IBM Thinkpad 560x laptop. I took out the hard drive to use in another laptop and purchased a used replacement 4GB laptop HD. I loaded WinME on the replacement HD by using a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter and putting the HD in my desktop PC (the laptop does not have a floppy, CD or any other drives). I can consistently boot the desktop PC fine from the replacement HD. However, every time I connect the replacement HD in the laptop, I get an "Inval...

Non-System Disk or Disk Error
Gee, after all these Windows folks claimed that modern PC's do not choke when booting with a non-bootable floppy in the drive, I decided to try it with the Dell Latitude D600 sitting on my desk. The result: Non-System Disk or Disk Error Replace and strike any key when ready Well, this is better than saying the keyboard is not found - press any key to continue. :) Anyway, *of course* I know what to do... but for many users, this is where they panic. And, as I wrote about recently - sometimes this is where they pay, and, including weekend and emergency rates, pay quite a bit. Thee machine really *should* say that the disk it is looking at is the A: drive. That in itself would be a *huge* improvement, without sacrificing *anything*, even if people want to pretend that the PC way is better than the Mac way. And it is a problem that does not exist on Macs. -- Look, this is silly. It's not an argument, it's an armor plated walrus with walnut paneling and an all leather interior. On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:04:37 -0700, Snit <SNIT@CABLE0NE.NET.INVALID> chose to bless us with the following wisdom: >Gee, after all these Windows folks claimed that modern PC's do not choke >when booting with a non-bootable floppy in the drive, I decided to try it >with the Dell Latitude D600 sitting on my desk. The result: > > Non-System Disk or Disk Error > Replace and strike any key when ready > >Well, this is better than sayin...

Copying system disk to standby disk
Hi, I have a Tru64UNIX system that has 1 system disk with the root, swap, usr, var and tmp filesystems on. usr, var and tmp are all in the same Advfs domain. I want to copy the system disk to a standby disk that I can boot off in the event of the system disk drive failing. What is the best way to do this? Thanks Andrew andrewr@cornasys.com wrote: > Hi, > > I have a Tru64UNIX system that has 1 system disk with the root, swap, > usr, var and tmp filesystems on. usr, var and tmp are all in the same > Advfs domain. > > I want to copy the system dis...

Non-system disk or disk error after installation
I did a reinstall of Debian today. It went off without problems but when I came to reboot I got: Non-system disk or disk error Replace and strike any key when ready I reinstalled again and also reinstalled grub twice. Any way round this? Is it a hardware failure (cmos or disk)? Could I boot via a cdrom? Anthony -- Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk Microsoft-free zone - Using Debian GNU/Linux http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks at http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/acampbell On 04/24/2011 04:22 PM, Anthony Campbell wrote: > I did a reinstall of Debian today. It w...

OpenVMS system Disk Not deduct in Alpha system
Hi Admin I'm facing the issue in openvms system disk deduct from alpha system.i did some SCSI cable arrangement in alpha system(as1200) after that openVMS not deduct the system disk. Thanks.. Ganesan. On Friday, December 20, 2013 4:38:20 AM UTC+1, Ganesah P wrote: > Hi Admin > > > > I'm facing the issue in openvms system disk deduct from alpha system.i did some SCSI cable arrangement in alpha system(as1200) after that openVMS not deduct the system disk. > > > > Thanks.. > > > > > >...

How-to mirror system disk using disk suite
Hi, Could anyone advice me how to mirror the system disk using disk suite (solaris 8). The mirrored disk should be able to boot when the primary system disk is failed. Thanks in advance, YC YC wrote: > Could anyone advice me how to mirror the system disk using disk suite > (solaris 8). The mirrored disk should be able to boot when the primary > system disk is failed. There is a few webpages which explain (step by step) this process. Why not ask google about it? For instance, a combo of "sds", "mirror", and "root" produced the following link: ...

Copying the system/boot disk to another disk ?
I am about to change my system disk on my 10.4/tiger Mac. I'll plug the new disk in and copy the old disk to the new disk, then unplug the old disk. On the old MacOs, once simply needed to drag one disk over the other disk. No need to worry about permissions, locked files etc. I tried to look at the apple web site for support/tech letters, but didn't find anything obvious (tons of results, mostly about installing a new version of OS-x). Anyone have any quick tips on how to proceed with copying an existing system disk (with user files on it) to a virgin disk ? (or how should I have ...

System restore thinks D: is system disk
I can not use system restore in XP Home Ed.. When I try, I get a message that claims drive D is the system disk. This might be related to the fact that my computer will not do a warm reboot. It says that boot files can not be found. If I turn off, then start, it works fine. This all started when I installed a new HD, transfering everything over, then keeping the original drive as D: drive. I sure hope that someone can help! Thanks, Rich The message <1116679523.049840.71700@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> from thedells2@verizon.net contains these words: > I can not use syst...

Disk to Disk Backup recommendations please (entry level system)
Greetings, I currently have a Win2K file server which contains: (2) 80GB 7200/EIDE RAID 1 Mirror (Total working data 80GB) I'm thinking of building a new box for the file server which contains: (1) GB Ethernet (6) 74GB 10,000/SATA RAID 1 Mirror (Total working data 222GB) I'm also building a target backup server for this new file server which will contain 1 tape drive and the following to perform disk to disk backup: (1) GB Ethernet (4) 250GB 7200/SATA RAID 1 Mirror (Total Backup Capacity 500GB) I'm trying to build a file server/backup system that would be...

Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter
My 486 was working fine with Windows 95, Award Bios 4.05G, 2 Gb hard disk, 1.44 floppy. A friend asked my to revive 5 1/4" floppies, found a working 1.2 drive- after install, everything went wrong! Booting up with a rescue disk or DOS 6.22 fails, getting first "Floppy Disk(s) fail (40"), then F1 to continue, and get message, "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter". Pressing ENTER merely repeats the message. Have replaced cables, taken off the 1.2 floppy, the Ctrl-Alt-Del restarts the computer in same sequence. The BIOS finds the hard drive, the 1.44 dri...

Disk systems
OK, so nobody can help out with the Microdisc. Anyone interested before it goes on eBay ? Steve M "Steve Marshall" <sdm@atmosBlockA.plus.com> wrote in message news:<s_hhc.32420$h44.4774505@stones.force9.net>... > OK, so nobody can help out with the Microdisc. Anyone interested before it > goes on eBay ? > > Steve M don't understand clearly... Did You mean, that You have a Microdisk Controller for sell? "norik" <mrrik@hay.am> wrote > don't understand clearly... > Did You mean, that You have a Microdisk Co...

System setup
Hi, Here is more of a spec for my setup: Nothing is installed on my box yet but I have Asus M2N-E (Amd64 proc) moderboard with two discs on (setup should be SW raid1). We also have a Promise SuperTrak EX4350 med 4 discs in (setup SW Raid5). There is source code for a driver available. We want to run debian (etch). I want rootpartitions m.m. on raid1 discs och data (/home, /usr, /var and /tmp) on raid5. Any ideas? Mikael Petterson Software Designer ...

compaq laptop
Why cant you put more than 190 meg of mem in presario laptops? I have put 256 in and in the bios it counts it off but in win xp it only says 64 That whats on board. A it runs pretty slow . Any reason I have tryed 2 diff mem chips so far nothing works. I have a128 chip in it now and it works pretty good for a olde laptop Any guesses. It shows up as 320 in sys info when i have the 256 chip in. Thanks I have a Compaq Presario 1220 with 256 megs of memory. Win2k recognizes all of it. I also have a 20 gig hard drive in it, but the CMOS only sees it as 8 gig but Win2k sees all 20 gigs. What model Presario? Tom ...

Re: Does anyone shut down for system disk backup any more? (Know Your System!)
> Oh, I just remembered. Yes. SHOW DEV/FILES only shows files opened on that > node, it isn't a clusterwide command. > > So it is perfectly possible to have a file appear to be closed on one node of > a cluster, but generating lots of activity from another node in the cluster. > > Know your system applies even more here. Which is a very valid POINT! It is a bad idea to open files on a remote system or on another cluster system system-disk. This is perfectly fine for shared data disks - that is the whole point of clustering and RMS - shared resources. J*o*h*n B*r...

Upgrading VMS on a system where hardware is newer than the system disk OS supports
Here's a new one for us. I've never had this come up, and I can't do a test run due to lack of hardware. We have a customer with a DS10 running V7.2-1. They're going to upgrade to a DS15, which has a minimum VMS requirement of V7.3-1 (plus TIMA). There is a miniscule downtime window. Since doing a V7.2-1 upgrade to V7.3-1 or newer on the DS10 is not feasible due to time, I'm wondering if the following is supported. Image backup the DS10 disks to tape, then restore on the DS15 disks using the CD boot environment. We won't try to boot the DS15 on the V7.2-1 system ...

Web resources about - compaq lte 286 system setup disk - comp.sys.laptops

Compaq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Harris County , Texas , U.S. Compaq Computer Corporation was a company founded in 1982, that developed, sold, and supported computers and related ...

Compaq US - Presario Notebook and Laptop PCs, Desktop Computers and Accessories.
Compaq offerings include Presario notebook and laptop PCs, desktops, and computer accessories.

Former Compaq Chairman, and current Mac user, reveals that Jobs asked Compaq to license the Mac OS in ...
Among other interesting tidbits on Steve Jobs, technology investment pioneer Ben Rosen reveals that the new Apple CEO invited the then Compaq ...

City considers selling former Compaq Center to Lakewood Church for &#36;7.5 million - abc13.com
And some say Lakewood Church is getting a great deal for the former home of the Houston Rockets First called the Summit, then the Compaq Center, ...

Former HP CEO responsible for Compaq merger explores 2016 presidential bid
Mock Paper Scissors Carly Fiorina, the former CEO of Hewlett-Packard who brought about the industry-changing merger with Compaq, is laying the ...

Apple is the new Compaq
Surely we can blame Tim Cook for that. Wait. You're too young to remember Compaq? Well, Apple's CEO worked there in the 1990s, and his leadership ...

Posts tagged: Compaq at BGR: The Three Biggest Letters In Tech
If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, try again. Best Buy announced on Monday that customers who purchase an HP or Compaq laptop, desktop ...

What Houston means to HP: Tech giant opens former Compaq campus doors for rare tour
... as Hewlett-Packard Co. offers a rare glimpse inside its Houston campus. Growing like a weed in the empty fields of northwest Houston, Compaq ...

Compaq - Blackboard
Login Login Username Password Remember me Forgot username or password? Login with Twitter Login with Facebook Login with LinkedIn Register Home ...

Coming To America: Compaq's European Star
Information Processing COMING TO AMERICA: COMPAQ'S EUROPEAN STAR Things in the personal computer business sure change fast. In October, when ...