Digital TV on a laptop through USB 2.0 device, does it work for anyone here?

Would like to hear from anyone having good results viewing this.   I have a
Toshiba M35X with integrated video, and it has trouble playing back some
high-resolution, high-motion videos from its own hard drive, so I imagine
this would even be worse playing back a digital video image filtered through
its USB port.    The varous websites touting digital TV adaptors are all a
bit coy on the quality of display produced on laptops, and some specify that
integrated graphics cards won't work.    Frozen or pixilated images really
ruin my experience of watching TV on a laptop.  I can receive a dozen
digital stations OTA at home, and I have been thinking that a USB ATSC &
NTSC receiver might be a substitute from a set-top box digital/analog
converter for my old analog TV, in addition to being of use when away from
home.   The groups and sites dedicated to digital TV are not very helpful in
getting this kind of information.

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 04:04:02 GMT, "ArtFD" <adembinski@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Would like to hear from anyone having good results viewing this.   I have a
>Toshiba M35X with integrated video, and it has trouble playing back some
>high-resolution, high-motion videos from its own hard drive, so I imagine
>this would even be worse playing back a digital video image filtered through
>its USB port.    The varous websites touting digital TV adaptors are all a
>bit coy on the quality of display produced on laptops, and some specify that
>integrated graphics cards won't work.    Frozen or pixilated images really
>ruin my experience of watching TV on a laptop.  I can receive a dozen
>digital stations OTA at home, and I have been thinking that a USB ATSC &
>NTSC receiver might be a substitute from a set-top box digital/analog
>converter for my old analog TV, in addition to being of use when away from
>home.   The groups and sites dedicated to digital TV are not very helpful in
>getting this kind of information.

I started to look into that - saw a 6"B&W at the market for $15 + $6
environmental fee + tax - and said what the heck since it only
consumes 15w and comes with a 12v adapter - went for it for the road.
The simplicity and certainty sold me.
jl
0
JL5072 (16)
12/29/2006 4:50:29 AM
ArtFD wrote:
> Would like to hear from anyone having good results viewing this.   I have a
> Toshiba M35X with integrated video, and it has trouble playing back some
> high-resolution, high-motion videos from its own hard drive, so I imagine
> this would even be worse playing back a digital video image filtered through
> its USB port.    The varous websites touting digital TV adaptors are all a
> bit coy on the quality of display produced on laptops, and some specify that
> integrated graphics cards won't work.    Frozen or pixilated images really
> ruin my experience of watching TV on a laptop.  I can receive a dozen
> digital stations OTA at home, and I have been thinking that a USB ATSC &
> NTSC receiver might be a substitute from a set-top box digital/analog
> converter for my old analog TV, in addition to being of use when away from
> home.   The groups and sites dedicated to digital TV are not very helpful in
> getting this kind of information.
I had no problem with myDVICO USB HDTV tuner made in Korea.
The pictures were sharp and the sounds were clear,
But I need to use a tall  external antenna,
Roy

0
roybasan (471)
12/29/2006 11:51:01 AM
Have you checkt at what speed the M35X is running. Sounds like
he is not running at full speed. I'm using a DVB-T USB receiver from
freecom and it just runns great.

ArtFD schrieb:
> Would like to hear from anyone having good results viewing this.   I have a
> Toshiba M35X with integrated video, and it has trouble playing back some
> high-resolution, high-motion videos from its own hard drive, so I imagine
> this would even be worse playing back a digital video image filtered through
> its USB port.    The varous websites touting digital TV adaptors are all a
> bit coy on the quality of display produced on laptops, and some specify that
> integrated graphics cards won't work.    Frozen or pixilated images really
> ruin my experience of watching TV on a laptop.  I can receive a dozen
> digital stations OTA at home, and I have been thinking that a USB ATSC &
> NTSC receiver might be a substitute from a set-top box digital/analog
> converter for my old analog TV, in addition to being of use when away from
> home.   The groups and sites dedicated to digital TV are not very helpful in
> getting this kind of information.

0
zaurus1 (2)

PCMCIA USB 2.0 card powers down laptop on insertion #2
Hi, I recently bought a this usb card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150). The thing worked fine for about a week, but now whenever I insert the card into the slot, the computer instantly shuts off. I tried the second slot, with the same effect. I also tried booting with the card already inserted, but it powers off during boot. I'm using WinXP, and have the appropriate drivers installed. Yesterday, I tried taking out my laptop battery, thinking it was some sort of power problem (as the battery is old and decaying anyway) , and the card worked again on boot. Today, I did the same thing, and the card now shuts off the computer again! Here's a link to the card I'm using: http://www.syba.com/product/43/05/02/index.html Can anyone help me out? Thanks! ...

laptop usb 1.1 + scanner usb 2.0 + modem ADSL = ?????!!!!!*****
I have a laptop with a single USB 1.1 port. My new scanner (Epson 3170 usb 2.0) works fine with it and so does my ADSL modem but both can't work together. I have tried to make them "cooperate" with a Sitecom Usb pocket hub which needs an external power adapter and of course it doesn't work without it; do you think it would work if I had one? Or is there any other possibility (Pcmcia/usb card for example)? Thank you for your future wise advice. Good chance powered hub will work, but not guaranteed. Is your modem USB only? If ethernet also, as one more option, y...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless #2
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless #2
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

Anyone have a USB 2.0 card working in an 8364?
Sez it all. ...

usb 2.0 cardbus hangs laptop (ehci problem)
Hi, I have just upgraded to debian testing (latest kernel) on my old laptop. I hoped the newest kernel would solve this issue, but it's still here. I am trying to use a pcmcia (cardbus) usb 2.0 card. It's found & usb driver are loaded. (see next). But when I connect an usb2.0 device (such as dvb-t card) the laptop hangs until I remove the card. Googling I've found a similar problem, and it pointed to the ehci. disabling ehci (removing the kernel driver after plugging in the card) solves the hangs. But this way I have a usb1.1 and I need a 2.0 for the tv card. any idea? these are the log files: lspci -n 06:00.0 0c03: 10b9:5237 (rev 03) 06:00.3 0c03: 10b9:5239 (rev 01) lspci -v 06:00.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 10 [OHCI]) Subsystem: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 16, IRQ 11 Memory at 26000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K] Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2 06:00.3 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 2.0 Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI]) Subsystem: ALi Corporation USB 2.0 Controller Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11 Memory at 26001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256] Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2 Capabilities: [58] Debug port dmesg pccard: CardBus card inserted into slot 1 PCI: Enabling device 0000:06:00.3 (0000 -> 000...

[...]

Laptop Drives for USB 2.0 (4200 v. 5400)
I've been looking for information about USB 2.0 performance using external 5400 rpm 2-1/2" drives versus 4200. I'm inclinded to believe that there would be little difference in performance for backing up large images. Has anyone seen any info or had experience with this? Thanks. > I've been looking for information about USB 2.0 performance using > external 5400 rpm 2-1/2" drives versus 4200. I'm inclinded to believe > that there would be little difference in performance for backing up > large images. Has anyone seen any info or had experience ...

D845PEBT2 MB and USB2.0 devices ? Can't get 2 USB2.0 devices to work at once.
I have my case (Kingwin) front usb port connected to the onboard usb connectors. I cannot connect 2 usb2.0 devices at the same time. The second one will not be recognized by XP also it doesn't appear to get power (eg, no led lit on card reader). If I connect a 1.0 usb and 2.0 usb device, both work fine. Should 2 usb 2.0 devices be able to run at the same time? I had seen this when I had a HP 300e dvd burner and ADS hard drive kit both connected to the PC and thought it was some conflict. But now I just got a 2.0 Sandisk card reader and it also won't work if the HP burner is plugged in. So I then unplugged the HP and found the Sandisk and ADS drives also won't work. If the Sandisk is plugged in second, XP pops up with a USB device not recognized error, also no leds light up on the Sandisk and they light up right away if I plug it in first. -- Phil Tomaskovic Please remove NOSPAM from email return address. ...

PCMCIA USB 2.0 card powers down laptop on insertion #3
Hi, I recently bought a this usb card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150). The thing worked fine for about a week, but now whenever I insert the card into the slot, the computer instantly shuts off. I tried the second slot, with the same effect. I also tried booting with the card already inserted, but it powers off during boot. I'm using WinXP, and have the appropriate drivers installed. Yesterday, I tried taking out my laptop battery, thinking it was some sort of power problem (as the battery is old and decaying anyway) , and the card worked again on boot. Today, I did the same thing, and the card now shuts off the computer again! Here's a link to the card I'm using: http://www.syba.com/product/43/05/02/index.html Can anyone help me out? Thanks! adberry@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I recently bought a this usb card for my laptop (Dell Inspiron 4150). > The thing worked fine for about a week, but now whenever I insert the > card into the slot, the computer instantly shuts off. I tried the > second slot, with the same effect. I also tried booting with the card > already inserted, but it powers off during boot. I'm using WinXP, and > have the appropriate drivers installed. Yesterday, I tried taking out > my laptop battery, thinking it was some sort of power problem (as the > battery is old and decaying anyway) , and the card worked again on > boot. Today, I did the same thing, and the card now shuts off the > com...

Something like FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? Parallel -> USB with real USB 2.0 bandwidth ?
Hello, is there a chip, in functionality like a FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? I found on websites mentioning the FT245BM compatible for USB 2.0, but i think they don't use USB 2.0, because transfer rate is "only" 1 MByte/s, which looks like high speed USB. Is there a faster parallel USB chip, which achieves more than 1 MByte / s ? I think with USB 2.0 there must be at least a factor of 10 to this speed ? Regards, Martin "Martin Maurer" <capiman@clibb.de> wrote in news:c26q04$kkf$04$1@news.t-online.com: > Hello, > > is there a chip, in functional...

Change laptop USB 1 to USB 2
Hi, I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT have a PMCIA slot. Any help here please. It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. Thanks for any help. rock ...

USB Drive does not work on USB 2.0
I have an external 3.5" hard drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure that I have been attaching to USB 1.1 ports on several different computers for over a year without any problems. I have just recently installed a USB 2.0 PCI card in my computer for faster download speeds. However, when I plug my external drive into one of the USB 2.0 ports the device seems to install just fine, but when I go to access the drive, it shows up as a different drive letter than it always has before and when I go to access the drive I get the error message: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. ...

Upgrade laptop USB 1 to USB 2
Hi, I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT have a PMCIA slot. Any help here please. It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. Thanks for any help. rock In news:477d8500$0$32673$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au, Rock typed on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:57:43 +1100: > Hi, > > I wish to change my laptop with a USB 1 to USB2. > > It does have a free mini PCI slot inside and I have been told that > one can upgrade to usb2 by putting a usb pci card in. It does NOT > have a PMCIA slot. > Any help here please. > > It is a non brand with the number N34AS1. I believe it is a Clevo, > Highlander or one of the many brands these came out as. > > It is 2.4 CPU with 1MB ram and 20 GB hard drive. > > Thanks for any help. > > > rock Wow, you are kidding, right? Something with 2.4GHZ with 1GB.... whoa wait! 1MB of RAM? You mean 1GB right? With a 1MB, that would be like a 286 or a 386 (and some 486) machines made over 15 years ago. Oh with a 20GB HD... well that would put it about when the change over from USB1 to USB2 had taken place (2000-2002 era). No PCMCIA slot you say? Btw, a lot of people call them PC Card slots nowadays. I personally don't go for the i...

Does anyone know why a USB 2.0 hub should not work fine on a Powerbook 800Mhz?
Hi I bought a fancy new hub on the weekend. It is a Kensington half round 7 port hub (one on the top for memory sticks etc). When I tried it on my Mac it did not work properly. When I rang Kensington support they said 'oh dear' when I said Mac OSX. They then said that their hubs do not work on Apple computers???? Specifically the 2.0 hubs. He said that up to version 10.2 they where fine but since then they do not work. This sounds like a load of rubbish to me and I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion?????? Robin Robin Jackson <robinjackson@m...

USB 2.0 devices in 1.x ports -- now works with latest USBBASIC!
This problem has long plagued us, that many USB 2.0 devices (in particular, memory sticks) just would not work -- or even be recognized -- under OS/2 when plugged into a USB 1.x port. A while ago this was identified as a problem with the USBD.SYS driver. Last week, IBM released a stealth update of the USBBASIC drivers (version 1.158) which, I am delighted to say, fixes this long-standing problem. At least, I can safely say that it has fixed it on my systems, and those of a number of other people. My USB 2.0 Sony Microvault, which I was never able to get working on any of my USB 1...

Connector to USB 2.0 Cable USB Power Adapter Polishing cloth Works with Many GSM carriers including: AT&T #2
(paypal payment)(www.goodsaler.com ) Brand NEW 16GB iPhones (Unlocked) with Newest Firmware Version 1.1.4. Stereo Headset with mic Dock Dock Connector to USB 2.0 Cable USB Power Adapter Polishing cloth Works with Many GSM carriers including: AT&T GSM Cingular GSM T-Mobile Rogers Wireles Fido Vodaphone Orange O2 any other GSM carriers Worldwide Comes new in original box and all accessories. (paypal payment)(www.goodsaler.com ) spam ...

TV on a laptop? #2
I have a Toshiba Satellite 2140 Laptop and would like to view TV programs here in the UK, I know that I will need an aerial, if this is possible what else will I need. Thanks in advance. John ...

FS: LAPTOP CAR & AIR POWER ADAPTER DC-DC car 12->16VDC $2 WORKS w/ANY LAPTOP (16VDC, 60W, this plug); part# SYD1109-6016 (thirdparty, not IBM).
Posted on Ebay, item# 330332840727 Goto www.ebay.com & enter this item# 330332840727 into search window (or item# window); BUY NOW OPTION is AVAILABLE, i.e. NO need to wait for Auction ending. Reply either here or via Ebay; but note: I can only take Ebay listing off to sell privately if there're NO bids currently & if Ebay permits. If you're one of those who still have no idea of Ebay, we can simply wait until listing expires (a few days) so I will sell thru Craigslist. PLEASE - read description on Ebay, do NOT need an account to read postings there (just enter item# in search window) Here'is a rough copy of it, but it's best to see Ebay ad. Car & Air Adapter for IBM/Lenovo (Thinkpads); or ANY 16Volt (upto 60Watt power out) powered laptops using a similar DC plug end connecting to laptop. The other end plugs into standard 12Volt car outlets + Airplane adapter is also included (shown on other photos, as explained below). NEW (never used) but I've misplaced original box (carton), been stored in my garage. Reason to sell: I switched to HP laptops shortly afterwards, and my large CAD/Engineering workstation-type of laptops use a different voltage & plug. Whether your laptop accepts 16Volt & what power/current is upto you to check - you may simply look at your current AC adapter's labeling and if it's a similar voltage, and equal or LESS power output, then this adapter will also fit. Note: you cannot damage modern laptops with ...

Will application J2ME MIDP 2.0 based of one device run another J2ME MIDP 2.0 device?
Hi, A J2ME MIDP 2.0 based application running on one Mobile device. Will this application run on another J2ME MIDP 2.0 supported device? and Will this application run on another J2ME MIDP 1.0 supported device? Thanks in advance. Nisha On 24 May 2005 05:19:44 -0700, nishadixit wrote: > Will this application run on another J2ME MIDP 1.0 supported device? The J2ME Frequently Asked Questions List*, suggests 'no'. * <http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/c/mcpierce/j2mefaq.html#what_version> [ There were also a number of references throughout it mentioning ...

How to detect if an USB Flash Stick/other device supports USB 2.0 (or only 1.1) ?
Is there a way or tool which allows me to detect if a (currently plugged in) USB Stick resp other device (e.g.scanner) supports the USB version 2.0 or only USB 1.1 ? Tom ...

[ANN] gettext-2.0.2, gettext_activerecord-2.0.2, gettext_rails-2.0.2
Hi, Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.2 and the families (gettext-2.0.2, gettext_activerecord-2.0.2 and gettext_rails-2.0.2) are now available. Ruby-GetText-Package is the library/tools for message localization. * gettext - Message localization libraries and tools for all kind of apps/libs. * gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization * gettext_rails - Rails support with gettext. Changes ------- == gettext-2.0.2 * Support ruby-1.9.1 style format string such as %<foo>d. * Apply new Locale.set_app_language_tags and Locale.candidates. [Suggested by Vladimir Dobriakov] * Enhance...

What to use for laptop laptopping?
My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of plywood I'm using now? Peabody wrote: > My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, > so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that > everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece > of plywood I'm using now? Something like this? http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ -- Notan Notan wrote: > Peabody wrote: >> My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so >> I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that >> everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of >> plywood I'm using now? > > Something like this? > > http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ Here's another: http://www.laptopdesk.net/laptopdesk2f.html -- Notan Notan wrote: > Notan wrote: >> Peabody wrote: >>> My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, >>> so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that >>> everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece >>> of plywood I'm using now? >> >> Something like this? >> >> http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ > >...

Web resources about - Digital TV on a laptop through USB 2.0 device, does it work for anyone here? - comp.sys.laptops

Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Digital Journal: A Global Digital Media Network
Digital Journal is a digital media news network with thousands of Digital Journalists in 200 countries around the world. Join us!

Technology News, Product Reviews and App Reviews - Digital Trends
/ Technology news and Product Reviews - Digital Trends Home Product Reviews Camcorders Cell Phones Desktop Computers Digital Cameras E-Readers ...

Technology Magazine - Technology News - Social Media, Smartphones, and Gadgets - Technology Digital
x JOIN THE NETWORK Social Media Smart Phones Gadgets Web 2.0 Video Top Ten Top 10: Business Top 10: Lifestyle Top 10: People Reports Associations ...

Thinking about Revamping your Digital Marketing? Try Social Media.
Internet Marketing has changed and improved so much over the past few years that companies and marketers must now rethink their entire marketing ...

Mediaocean, Rubicon Link Up in an Effort to Automate All Digital Media Transactions
... tapped ad tech firm Rubicon Project to build a system aimed at automating the process of buying and selling the massive amount of premium digital ...

Wired EIC Scott Dadich Discusses Digital Media
... with the magazine and Condé in some capacity since 2006. He’s therefore more than qualified to discuss how magazines are adapting to the digital ...

President Obama snubs Apple, praises other tech companies for improving digital security
If there’s one company that strives to offer the best security possible when it comes to digital data, it's Apple . And the FBI’s case against ...

CIO March 2016 Digital Magazine: IoT has big buzz, dearth of talent
Inside: What you need to know about staffing up for IoT, how cloud and SDN set Veritas free & much more!

CIOs who master digital transformations will win CEO jobs
... altering the business landscape, Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff says that the CEO is working closely with the CIO to architect digital transformations. ...