External drives as compared to Internal drives

I have recently bought a new Tiny Mediabook U64-3700+ of which I am
awaiting delivery. The one drawback on this system that may affect me
is the Fujitsu/Toshiba Hard Disk with minimum Ultra ATA/100 interface,
4200rpm speed, 12 ms Access time, 80GB capacity and 1MB Buffer. If I
bought an external drive with 7200rpm and connected it via a usb2
connection would this perform better?

0
paulc4396 (2)

"Paul" <paulc@bms-software.com> wrote in message
> I have recently bought a new Tiny Mediabook U64-3700+ of which I am
> awaiting delivery. The one drawback on this system that may affect me
> is the Fujitsu/Toshiba Hard Disk with minimum Ultra ATA/100 interface,
> 4200rpm speed, 12 ms Access time, 80GB capacity and 1MB Buffer. If I
> bought an external drive with 7200rpm and connected it via a usb2
> connection would this perform better?

No.

jak

0
jdedert (95)
2/17/2005 6:59:53 PM

jakdedert wrote:

> "Paul" <paulc@bms-software.com> wrote in message
> > I have recently bought a new Tiny Mediabook U64-3700+ of which I am
> > awaiting delivery. The one drawback on this system that may affect me
> > is the Fujitsu/Toshiba Hard Disk with minimum Ultra ATA/100 interface,
> > 4200rpm speed, 12 ms Access time, 80GB capacity and 1MB Buffer. If I
> > bought an external drive with 7200rpm and connected it via a usb2
> > connection would this perform better?
>
> No.

Based on my experience, yes.  My external drives (7200rpm, 8MB cache,
USB2) are faster than my internal laptop drive (4200rpm) for large file
intensive activities.

Lisa
0
Lisa091704 (371)
2/17/2005 7:26:02 PM
Thanks for replying.

The biggest use of the harddrive will be storing wave files that will
have to be accessed from music applications such as cool edit pro or
Reason. Is this a similar idea to what u have used your external drives
for e.g. media software

Paul

0
paulc4396 (2)
2/18/2005 11:11:47 AM

Paul wrote:

> Thanks for replying.
>
> The biggest use of the harddrive will be storing wave files that will
> have to be accessed from music applications such as cool edit pro or
> Reason. Is this a similar idea to what u have used your external drives
> for e.g. media software

My use is digital imaging.  The files range from 6.5MB to a peak size of
about 35MB, and I often do batch manipulations.  So, my results are
really pertinent only to applications involving larger file sizes.  You
may not see the same benefits if your file sizes are a lot smaller.

Lisa
0
Lisa091704 (371)

Need external laptop drive case --- for SATA laptop drive
Anyone know where you can get an external USB laptop case (or just a cable type adapter), but for a 2.5" laptop drive that is Serial ATA (SATA) rather than the more mundaten IDE? My new Toshiba laptop has such a drive in it. ...

Duplicating internal hard drive to external drive
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I want to purchase a higher capacity hard drive and have it replace my existing one. I would like to make a bootable copy of my existing one by using my external USB drive enclosure. My plan is to place the new drive in this enclosure and use Powerquest Drive Image 7 to copy my existing drive to the new one, then removing the existing with the new one Will this work? I know Drive Image will let me dup from internal to internal (primary to slave),but it's not clear whether I can use its copy disk option to go to an external drive...

firewire external drive vs internal ide drive???
I had a power outage a few days ago and lost the FAT tables to one of my firewire external drives. But not all of them. I am not sure why this happened, but a friend of mine tells me it is because I lost power. So why didnt it happen to all of my extenal drives? AT ANY RATE... I am over losing all of that data, but now I have come up with this crazy idea that an internal drive would less prone to this type of loss, so I want switch to using internal drives. My friend made it sound as though this problem of mine stemmed from the fact that the drive I did lose was an external firewire drive. Am I wrong in thinking that an internal IDE drive would work better for storage than an external firewire drive? Opinions, thoughts, ideas?????? gasolineman@yahoo.com <gasolineman@yahoo.com> wrote: > I had a power outage a few days ago and lost the FAT tables to one of my > firewire external drives. But not all of them. I am not sure why this > happened, but a friend of mine tells me it is because I lost power. So > why didnt it happen to all of my extenal drives? Perhaps the other drives weren't being written to when the power failed. > AT ANY RATE... I am over losing all of that data, but now I have come up > with this crazy idea that an internal drive would less prone to this type > of loss, so I want switch to using internal drives. My friend made it > sound as though this problem of mine stemmed from the f...

Internal Jaz drive to External Portable drive? Help!!
Hi all, I have a 1 gig Jaz drive that I was hoping to turn into a external portable drive. So I went and bought a Jaz traveler that does nothing for me since it is designed for the external drive. Is there any way to make this drive portable to connect to the parallel port or other wise? Thanks, Scott.. ...

Startup from External Drive and Automatically Unmount Internal Drive
My SO has a PowerBook G4, a so-called TiBook. Because the internal drive is insufficient to hold all of her applications and documents and such we configured it with the intention that it would boot off of an external Firewire drive that is much larger than the internal drive. The Startup Disk is set to the external drive. All is working well with two exceptions.... a) Subsequent to a shut down a startup will occur on the internal drive and not the designated startup drive. b) An AppleScript initiated upon startup and which has a 60 second delay will not eject the internal drive, but a...

Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure?
Hi, My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with, thus need to use usb) So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure? T...

drive to drive
if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? webwalker@68z28.com wrote: > if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is > there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? No. However there is the usual disadvantage, namely a higher probability of simultaneous failure. Arno -- Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F ---- Cuddly UI...

can I use desktop hard drive as external laptop drive?
Hi. My mom gave me her old compaq presario 1200 because my desktop motherboard burnt out and I couldn't afford to fix it. The hard drive in my laptop is very small, and all of my old files are still on the hard drive from my desktop, which still is in good condition. Is there a way to connect the old hard drive (it's an internal drive)to my laptop? thanks, Kristie yes, get an external drive box for about $40, they make in USB or FWire connection, or both. I did it, works great. -- Dennis Savatski "Kristie" <kjd183@psu.edu> wrote in message news:8c9b4541.0401221503...

External Hard Drive Partial Failure
I own a LaCie 500GB triple interface external hard drive. I use it to backup my G4 iMac every night using SuperDuper! via Firewire. One of the two Maxtor 250GB internal drives failed. I don't want to get rid of this unit, so I'm exploring options to continue using it. If I remove the failed 250GB hard drive from the LaCie enclosure, will the unit work properly with only the remaining good 250GB hard drive in place, albeit at half of the capacity (ie. 233GB formatted)? If so, will removing the failed drive, and running only the remaining good drive in the enclosure, affect th...

Help needed:Turning internal IDE drive into external USB drive
Hi guys, I need a little advice please. (Apologies in advance if I'm in the wrong place.) I was shopping for an external storage device on Ebay,and I accidentally bought an internal drive instead.(Dopey me realised my mistake 5 seconds after I bid,& alas no one out bid me.As I don't want an unpaid strike,I had to buy the damn thing.) I was going to sell it back on Ebay after it arrives,but a little reading revealed to me that you can turn an internal drive into a USB external drive with a 3.5" hard drive case enclosure. So I ask,can I convert the following: S...

iTunes 7: use of external firewire drive in conjunction with internal drive?
I'm somewhat late to the iPod/iTunes craze, but have had my G4 taking care of the kids' music collections and iPods for a few years. The release of the new 80G iPod has intrigued me. Before I dive in, I'd like to have all of *my* music put onto a large external drive I use in a firewire box with removable trays. The way I look at it, I could keep all of my stuff there and even back it up on another tray drive. When I want to update my own Pod, I would simply tell iTunes to use the other drive instead of the internal, so I'd always be updating my own stuff. I wouldn't have t...

Diskwarrior on external drive won't fix internal drive
I have an eMac attached to a firewire drive with two partitions, one of which has a bootable backup of my OS. I tried booting from the FW drive in order to use Diskwarrior on my internal hard drive but it refused to work because it said the eMac hard drive could not be unmounted. Using Disk Utility, I confirmed that the eMac hard drive cannot be unmounted. Why does this happen? Is there something essential on the internal hard drive that remains in use, even when I've booted from the FW drive? I can use Diskwarrior on the other FW partition, so I know it's working. I have a ...

Jump Drive/external drive
novice question, My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? tina <freshairtraining@aol.com> wrote > novice question, > My external usb maxtor drive is dead. Why would > I buy another when I can buy a jump drive? The obvious difference is the size. An exernal USB drive is a lot bigger, and much cheaper per GB. No big deal if say you only need 2GB or something, but if you need say 200G for a full backup of the system, its much cheaper and much faster with a USB external drive. ...

question on external drives/drive enclosures
I'm think of getting a USB or firewire drive, or converting an existing drive to an external one by getting an external enclosure. I have two questions: 1 - Does external drive support multiple partitions? 2 - Are the disk partitions/formats interchangeable between external and internal? I.e. if the external enclosure is fried but the disk is intact can I connect it to an internal IDE channel and be able to see my files? Thanks! Clamshell <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:401d08a8$0$2682$61fed72c@news.rcn.com... > I'm think of getting a USB ...

Can Super Duper back up data on external drive to another external drive?
I'm running low on free space on my Imac, so I'm thinking of transferring some of my project files onto an external La Cie drive. Can Super Duper be set to back up the contents of both the Macintosh HD and the project files on an external La Cie drive onto two other external La Cie back-up drives? I can't do this with Snow Leopard, but I wonder if I can do it when I upgrade to Yosemite. I was told by a Mac salesman that I can daisy chain with Yosemite, and that my proposed setup would therefore work. Tom Evans Tom Evans <tomevans9890@yahoo.ca> wrote: ...

Maxtor external drive: drive not recognized
FYI If you would like to replace the drive inside an external Maxtor enclosure (e.g. 5000LE etc), be careful in aligning the internal EIDE connector. It's easy to be 1 pin off and then the drive will not be recognized by your computer. I replaced succesfully a 80Gb drive with another 120Gb Maxtor drive. Opening the case voids warranty. Regards, DD. ...

How to install Debian into Notebook that use external floppy drive and external CDROM drive
Hi all, I have downloaded Debian Installation CDROMs and plan to install it into my notebook computer. My notebook use one USB external floppy disk drive and one PCMCIA CDROM drive, but unfortunately, my notebook's BIOS only support external floppy drive booting, it can't boot from PCMCIA CDROM drive. Therefore, I only can use the boot disks made from rescue.bin, root.bin....etc. My problem is while I successfully booted from the rescue floppy disk, it prompted me to insert a root floppy, but after I inserted it, the installation program didn't recognize my USB floppy disk drive because it didn't load the disk then just return the fail message said that can't mount the root FS. So, how can I do to let the installation program recognize my USB floppy disk drive? And one more question does the Debian Setup Program support PCMCIA CD-ROM drive to complete installation regularly? Regards, Alvin Lau ...

Problem Copying iMac Drive to External Drive
I just bought a new Fantom Firewire 160 GB external drive. I want to copy my iMac's entire drive onto this, but I get error 128 (or is it minus 128?). What do I need to do? Thanks very much. In article <fdf9d657.0405301918.8c33475@posting.google.com>, ksternberg1@yahoo.com (Ken Sternberg) wrote: > I just bought a new Fantom Firewire 160 GB external drive. I want to > copy my iMac's entire drive onto this, but I get error 128 (or is it > minus 128?). What do I need to do? > > Thanks very much. Could be a permissions issue. Had you thought of usin...

Supra laptop
Hello, I have purchased a very old laptop and am based in the UK. It is a Supra - (pentium II, 160MB, 6gig hard drive), but I can't find anything about the company that made it on the net or about the laptop or manuals or anything. I have searched this group and the same question about Supra has come up before but without any response. Is Supra now Sager ???? Also, the laptop has a TEAC CD-224E and I want to replace this with at least a DVD-CD-RW or perhaps go the whole hog and get a DVD-RW. Basically, I want to be able to watch dvds on the Supra. But what internal drives will fit the laptop?? I don't know anything about internal dvd/cd drives so I don't want to make a mistake and get one which will not fit the laptop! How can I tell if they will fit or not?? Thanks, Tahir <tahir.hafiz@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1150204165.059290.172920@f6g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > I have purchased a very old laptop and am based in the UK. > > It is a Supra - (pentium II, 160MB, 6gig hard drive), but I can't find > anything about the company that made it on the net or about the laptop > or manuals or anything. I have searched this group and the same > question about Supra has come up before but without any response. > > Is Supra now Sager ???? > > Also, the laptop has a TEAC CD-224E and I want to replace this with at > least a DVD-CD-RW or perhaps go the whole hog and get a DVD-RW. > Basically, I...

$349 Only for the Certified Pre-Owned iBook G4/800, 256 MB of RAM, 30 GB internal drive, internal Combo Drive, internal 56k modem, 12.1" T www.e-applecn.com
http://www.e-applecn.com/cpxx.asp?id=626 Contact us online: MSN: e-applecn@hotmail.com Email: e.applecn@yahoo.com Our site: www.e-applecn.com Technical Details * 256 MB of RAM ; 30 GB internal drive * internal Combo Drive ; internal 56k modem * 12.1" TFT display ; OS CD is not included * OS 10.4.11 installed * Used Mac with 90 day PowerMax warranty See more pls go to our site!! www e-applecn.com ...

Can I backup my internal hard drive to a USB drive?
My laptop is an IBM T40. Can I backup my 30 Gb hard drive onto a USB drive? I purchased a USB floppy drive and am able to boot into DOS. With Powerquest's Drive Image and Partition Magic I am able to access the T40's 30 GB intenal hard drive. If I purchase a USB hard drive say 80 GB, will I be able to use it for backing up and restoring the 30 GB drive? I currently use Drive Image 5.0 and Partitionmagic 7.0. I have read about Drive Image 2000 and Drive Image 7. But I can't find anything definite, how DOS might work with large USB hard drives. "Dodgr Rereksin" <ericksor@aol.com> wrote in message news:dA8ec.12314$wb4.11628@okepread02... > My laptop is an IBM T40. Can I backup my 30 Gb hard drive onto a USB drive? > > I purchased a USB floppy drive and am able to boot into DOS. With > Powerquest's Drive Image and Partition Magic I am able to access the T40's > 30 GB intenal hard drive. If I purchase a USB hard drive say 80 GB, will I > be able to use it for backing up and restoring the 30 GB drive? > > I currently use Drive Image 5.0 and Partitionmagic 7.0. I have read about > Drive Image 2000 and Drive Image 7. But I can't find anything definite, how > DOS might work with large USB hard drives. > Partition your USB drive to have a 30GB partition and everything should work fine (which is not to say that larger partitions won't work). dk "Dodgr Rereksin" <ericksor@aol...

wanted: drive sled for 611 external hard drive
i have a sun 611 external hard drive enclosure lacking the drive sled/tray or whatever you want to call it. anyone have one for sale or trade? -- getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence - jules feifer to email me, delete syzygy. from my return address In article <11eno64cpl52899@corp.supernews.com>, Arthur Wouk <awouk@syzygy.nilenet.com> wrote: >i have a sun 611 external hard drive enclosure lacking the drive sled/tray >or whatever you want to call it. anyone have one for sale or trade? You mean what the FEH calls a SPARCstorage UniPack? According to the same FEH, that is simply called a "mounting bracket", and the Sun part number is 340-3222 for disk and for tape drives. No hits on eBay at the moment. Perhaps you should check with Sun. They're probably not that expensive. Good Luck, DoN. -- Email: <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564 (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero --- Yes I have these in stock and we are based in the UK Give me a mail if you are interested Ron@ashlyn.co.uk Arthur Wouk wrote: >i have a sun 611 external hard drive enclosure lacking the drive sled/tray >or whatever you want to call it. anyone have one for sale or trade? > > ...

external hard drive with laptop
OK, guys---we've got a couple of rocket scientists (not) hard at work, and we've run up against a stump. Let me give the background of the problem, and tell what we're up to. Got a friend who has a laptop. His hard drive crashed awhile back. He took the laptop to a pc shop and got a new hard drive installed. He was checking out options of recovering his files off the old hard drive. I told him same thing had happened to me, and the way I did it was to take out my bad hard drive, get all the numbers off it, find a new identical one, then take the controller boards off a...

Hard drive
"With the advent of external hard drive enclosures and the ease of plug and play USB and Firewire connections, many people are asking themselves if they should buy an internal or external hard drive when it comes to adding more storage or work space..." Continued: http://easyurl.net/HardDrive "DC" <nobody@pseudo.borked.net> wrote in message news:763df81946e24187310aa6278b149039@pseudo.borked.net... > "With the advent of external hard drive enclosures and the > ease of plug and play USB and Firewire connections, many > people are ask...

Web resources about - External drives as compared to Internal drives - comp.sys.laptops

Externals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
All of the Externals were originally portrayed as immortal and important, playing an extremely major role in the future and Apocalypse 's rise ...

BuzzFeed Tries Out an External Banner Ad
... the NBCUniversal streaming comedy service Seeso, over the weekend. The digital media site has long favored custom-made native ads over external ...

ASUS Booth Tour at CES 2016: 10G Switches, External GPU Dock, USB-C Monitor and more
When ASUS emailed a couple of weeks before CES announcing that they had cancelled their press event for the show, we had a few question marks. ...

AMD XConnect wants to make external GPUs easier to use
AMD has introduced XConnect, a form of driver-level support for external graphics cards, as part of its latest Radeon 16.3 driver. XConnect allows ...

Xiaomi's new Mi Powerbank Pro is a 10,000 mAh external battery with USB Type-C
... LG's G5 and Xiaomi's Mi 5 unveiled with USB Type-C. But, for consumers, having it on a new smartphone may actually be an issue. An external ...

Three external hard drives up to 5TB are on sale at deep discounts on Amazon
... it's always worth considering. Well wouldn't you know it, Amazon is currently offering bigger-than-normal discounts on three different external ...

Crisis management: 70% internal, 30% external
... the importance of that early experience. Today when I talk with executives about crisis management, their focus is almost exclusively external. ...

Gamers rejoice! AMD releases Thunderbolt 3 driver for external video cards
AMD has issued a driver update that will allow ultrathin notebooks or 2-in-1 laptops to connect via Thunderbolt 3 to external GPU enclosures ...

Merkel on refugee crisis: ‘We need protection of external borders’
“It is good if EU and Turkey share the burden, but we need protection of external borders,” said German Chancellor Angela Merkel on her arrival ...