Formatting a hard drive with no floppy drive ??

Hi There
Just wondered if anyone can tell me if there is any other way of formatting
an un-partitioned drive on my Compaq laptop without the use of a floppy
drive. The machine I have does not have a floppy fitted as standard, any I
want to be able to load a different operating system on.
I know that XP will just go over the top and boot from CD, but I could do
with any tips on formatting the drive anyway.

Thanx in advance.

Mark

Mark Porter wrote:
> Hi There
> Just wondered if anyone can tell me if there is any other way of formatting
> an un-partitioned drive on my Compaq laptop without the use of a floppy
> drive. The machine I have does not have a floppy fitted as standard, any I
> want to be able to load a different operating system on.
> I know that XP will just go over the top and boot from CD, but I could do
> with any tips on formatting the drive anyway.
>
> Thanx in advance.
>
> Mark

www.ebcd.i-am.ru is all you need...

����
  ~

http://www.31337.pl/

I found it hard, it was hard to find, oh well, whatever, nevermind...

0
no.way.im (47)
7/15/2003 12:06:36 PM
You shouldn't have a problem, most OSs will boot off the
CD.  In the Microsoft world, anything newer than and
including NT 4.0.

If you're looking for the traditional FDISK/FORMAT route,
try the Windows 98 CD.

0
zvpunry.wb (25)

Syncing folders
Hi. I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it Is this possible ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it > > I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it > > Is this possible === I use "arRsync" from .......... http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ ... free and opensource === mikehes@gmail.com wrote: > ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it...

FT: 6.4gb desktop hard drives....I need laptop hard drives
I have at least 50 6.4gb hard drives(these go in your desktop or tower, most are western digital and some are maxtor). I'd like to trade some or all of these for 4gb or 5gb laptop hard drives, the laptop drives must fit into an ibm thinkpad 600. to email me go here: http://www.geocities.com/pauldbz/ ...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy)
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy) #2
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

drive to drive
if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? webwalker@68z28.com wrote: > if you plan to be your own manual raid, drive to drive copy, then is > there any advantage to pairing drive manufacturer & model? No. However there is the usual disadvantage, namely a higher probability of simultaneous failure. Arno -- Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name GnuPG: ID: 1E25338F FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F ---- Cuddly UI...

Trouble formatting a laptop hard drive.
I'm having trouble formatting a laptop hard drive. I have it in an external USB enclosure. The formatting gets to a certain place and just stops. I've left it running overnight... and the result is still the same. The hard drive has a directory called 'System Information' (or something like that). I can't seem to delete that. After the formatting fails... the directory is still there. (When I say fails... I mean when I have to foreceably stop the formatting... else it just sits there.) What am I doing wrong? Thanks. OM Hi, is using a XP CD and deleting the partition first an option? ChrisC "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1137245118.038599.62850@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > I'm having trouble formatting a laptop hard drive. > I have it in an external USB enclosure. > The formatting gets to a certain place and just stops. > I've left it running overnight... and the result is still the same. > > The hard drive has a directory called 'System Information' (or > something like that). > I can't seem to delete that. > > After the formatting fails... the directory is still there. > (When I say fails... I mean when I have to foreceably stop the > formatting... else it just sits there.) > > What am I doing wrong? > > Thanks. > > > OM > ChrisC remove wrote: > Hi, is using a XP CD and deleting the partition first an option? > Chris...

new hard drive + old hard drive
I think I need you guys help here. My old custom-built computer's hard drive is running out of space and it's messed up and registry doesn't look good. I was given used 20GB and try to install as local(bootable) hard drive(C:) and want to use old hard drive(13GB) as back-up storage(F:) I have XP installed now and have a CD for XP and want to clean install on new 20GB. I know to how to hook up and set up master and slave and configure bios etc and install XP with clean installation. What I want to find out is I want to use the program in old hard drive. As far as I know,I...

Difficulty Formatting Laptop Hard Drive
Have an IBM Thinkpad that I am trying format the internal 10MB hard drive. Using old, dependable Windows 98 as my O/S. Confirm the decision to format the C:\ drive and the drive begins formatting. Gets to around the 6-10% completion point and then gets slower and slower in the formatting process. What's the thinking on what may be happening? Any other disk diagnostics that I should think of running (CHKDSK, DEBUG, etc.)? Thanks, Chris MGDW84B@prodigy.com wrote: > Have an IBM Thinkpad that I am trying format the internal 10MB hard > drive. Using old, dependabl...

can I use desktop hard drive as external laptop drive?
Hi. My mom gave me her old compaq presario 1200 because my desktop motherboard burnt out and I couldn't afford to fix it. The hard drive in my laptop is very small, and all of my old files are still on the hard drive from my desktop, which still is in good condition. Is there a way to connect the old hard drive (it's an internal drive)to my laptop? thanks, Kristie yes, get an external drive box for about $40, they make in USB or FWire connection, or both. I did it, works great. -- Dennis Savatski "Kristie" <kjd183@psu.edu> wrote in message news:8c9b4541.0401221503...

More trouble formatting a laptop hard drive.
I've got problems with a laptop hard drive. Connected via a USB case... it gets stuck at 36% when I format. The manufacture (Fujitsu) has some tools to analyse and format the hard drive. These tools only work in DOS. The ONLY option I have is to: quick format the hard drive in Fat 32 format in Windows XP via the USB case. Then copy a WinME boot disc files to the root. And then copy the manufacturer tools. I've done this. I've then booted up expecting to go to DOS. Nothing. It doesn't read the hard drive. Why? What am I doing wrong? (As I said above... this is my ONLY option available! There are several reasons for this: like not being able to find the external floppy to go with the laptop! Amongst other reasons.) Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. OM Firstly, Boot your laptop into Win XP get it up and running. Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator or you have Administrator privileges. Then plug the USB hard disk in and power it up. Go to: Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management You should be able to see all your hard disks. The USB disk should be/might be marked as Disk1. Right Click on this and you should see an option initialise or initialise disk, choose this option. Then try formatting the disk. I had similar problems, but after doing this it worked. Good luck Battery Wizard http://www.ComputerBatteries.co.uk ...

FA: Commodore D9060 Hard Drive and 1551 Parallel Floppy Drive
I have two very interesting Commodore peripherals currently up for auction on eBay that I thought some folks would be interested in. The first is a Commodore D9060 5 MB hard drive, eBay item 8754212467. The second is a 1551 parallel floppy disk drive, eBay item 8754202744. Thanks, Nick Nick, That's an unusual 1551! The serial tag has a sticker with the power ratings.... all my other 1551s have that power rating on the original serial number label. Also, none of my 1551s (or 1541s for that matter) have an English/French warning label advising against opening the case. Also consi...

upgrading hard drive on laptop
I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2 equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new drive. Thanks techman41973@yahoo.com wrote: : I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2 : equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig : drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I : don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new : drive. Get a USB enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive, then clone the current drive to the new drive, then swap the new drive in. I use Acronis True Image instead of Symantec's Ghost, but in your case, you might want to buy a Symantec software bundle that includes Ghost and Partition Magic, so after you clone the drive to the new one, you can re-size the two 15GB partitions to be two 30GB partitions (or whatever you want them to be now). If you already have an external hard drive, you could make images (with Ghost or True Image) of the two partitions and save them to the external drive (assuming you have 30GB laying around), then swap in the new drive, boot from the recovery disk you made in Ghost or True Image, and install each partition on the new drive. Andrew -- ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <---- *******************************************************...

Best way to backup laptop hard drive? (drive imaging utilities)
This is the first time I have owned a laptop. It took me dozens of hours to setup Windows XP, install my applications and customize my environment. I backup my data files often, but this doesnt help me if my laptop is lost or stolen or my hard drive fails. I will have to start from scratch to reinstall and tweak my setup on a new machine. I want to avoid this potential problem as I am currently in school. I am considering using a hard disk imaging type of backup program such as Norton Ghost or Power Quest Drive Image 7.0. In theory this would allow me to restore the configuration I had on my p...

Driving a hard drive motor
Title says it all. Most motors that spin the disc assembly in hard drives seem to have four connectors. The one I have in front of me seems to have three coils connected to a common with about 2 OHM resistance for each coil. Does anyone know the precise details? Any help gratefully received. Jochen -- ----------------------------------------------- Jochen Lueg jochen.lueg@argonet.co.uk http://www.argonet.co.uk/users/tudor In article <4c12d1bafdtudor@argonet.co.uk>, Jochen Lueg <tudor@argonet.co.uk> wrote: > Title says it all. > Most motors that spi...

Premade external hard drive or internal hard drive with enclosure?
Hi, My WD mybook external hardrive died, and now i need a new one for my laptop (which has th elaptop firewire conneciton, which isn't the same as the pc firewire connection that most external harddrives come with, thus need to use usb) So I'm thinking of getting the following toshiba 320 gb external ( see link below). However I have also been considering getting a regular internal harddrive and enclosure. would this be better in terms of reliability and speed? How difficult is this to set up? If this is better any recommendations for a 300-500 gb drive and enclosure? T...

Need external laptop drive case --- for SATA laptop drive
Anyone know where you can get an external USB laptop case (or just a cable type adapter), but for a 2.5" laptop drive that is Serial ATA (SATA) rather than the more mundaten IDE? My new Toshiba laptop has such a drive in it. ...

8668c hard drive is dead, wont accept any other hard drive
we had a power outage and i lost my WD 30gig, the recovery CD wont even format it, i tool a maxtore 6.4 from working pc and put it in the HP, the bios reads the maxtor but all i see after that is a flashing dot nothing more, nothing less. i took an old fujitsu 8.4 and did the recovery , smae thing happened , that flashing dot again should i use only WD or what is the problem exactly??? one more question, i tried to take that WD off the case to send it for warranty but it sounded like escaping from jail is much easier, the screws r soldered into the sheets and i cant it off, any help with that as well? thnx Check the drive jumper settings on any replacement drive. Make sure the drive is set to the master jumper setting. Next, enter the system BIOS setup and make sure that the drive has been detected properly by the BIOS. Then boot from a Windows setup diskette for your operating system, FDISK to create a FAT32 partition, reboot, FORMAT the partition, then try the recovery... Ben Myers On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 03:27:29 GMT, "cell phone repair" <noneishere@cellrepair.us> wrote: >we had a power outage and i lost my WD 30gig, the recovery CD wont even >format it, i tool a maxtore 6.4 from working pc and put it in the HP, the >bios reads the maxtor but all i see after that is a flashing dot nothing >more, nothing less. > >i took an old fujitsu 8.4 and did the recovery , smae thing happened , that >flashing dot again > >should i ...

hard drive power sequencer, hard drive startup sequencer
Does anyone make a power sequencer that could be used to startup hard drives sequentially rather than all at once? I'd like to put 4 HDs in my PC, and I don't want to load the power supply with spinning up all 4 HDs at the same time. *TimDaniels* For IDE drives? Nope, can't be done. They only draw 2A @ 12v, so you only need a 250W power supply. "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message news:BfidnXwxc52mqciiXTWJkw@comcast.com... | Does anyone make a power sequencer that | could be used to startup hard drives sequentially | rathe...

Please advise: 120 Gig USB Hard drive on crusty Toshiba Laptop: will it recoginize all the drive?
Just purchased a USB 2 external hard drive case and popped in my Maxtor 120GB Hard drive Being a carefull geezer ,I created a 500 Megabyte fat partition and I am able to read and write files Here are the specs: Toshiba Satelite 4005CDS with the following specs: Pentium 2 233 MHZ Windows 98 2nd Edition 96 MB RAM 16 bit SVGA 800x600 max resolution 4 gigabyte hard drive + CD ROM and Floppy 1 USB 1 port Will my system recognize multitple 32 Gigabyte FAT32 partitions on USB 2 external hard drive case ? I would rather benefit from others past experiance then try it out and...

I need to partition a hard drive but my laptop doesn't have a floppy.
I just bought a sharp PC MV12. I want to partion the hard drive and install XP, but the thing doesn't have a floppy drive for an FDisk. I have always used FDisk before. Should I just use Partion Magic or is there some other trick to partitioning using XP? Will an FDisk even work for an XP computer/ does XP sit on top of DOS? Thanks, Paul paul13 wrote: > I just bought a sharp PC MV12. I want to partion the hard drive and > install XP, but the thing doesn't have a floppy drive for an FDisk. I > have always used FDisk before. Should I just use Partion Magic or is > there some other trick to partitioning using XP? > > Will an FDisk even work for an XP computer/ does XP sit on top of DOS? Boot with the XP CD. When it gets to the point of the Installation where it asks you where you want to install, delete the partitions seen, create new one(s) and continue on. You are done! (** Anything you did not backup off the machine is GONE - so BACKUP! **) -- <- Shenan -> -- yeah, partition magic will do the trick. you may be able to acquire the program with file sharing programs (P2P) On 3 May 2004 01:28:18 -0700, googlegroups@paul13.com (paul13) wrote: >I just bought a sharp PC MV12. I want to partion the hard drive and >install XP, but the thing doesn't have a floppy drive for an FDisk. I >have always used FDisk before. Should I just use Partion Magic or is >there some other trick to partitioning using XP? > >...

6 Hard Drives - IDE Drives Too Hot To Touch
Shuttle Mobo P4 1.9ghz processor 784 DDRam Lian-Li Case 4 case fans CPU Fan Windows 2003 I want to use this computer for storage - but with HD's so hot I do not think it is 'safe'. What would cause the 'heat'? All drives are Western Digital - everything from 30g - 200g. Thanks much for your input. Carol Check to make sure that there is a good case fan circulating the air around. Also you can add a fan to cool the hard disk area, if there is space for it. I have also seen defective drives overheat, but not often. Jerry G. ======== tecminn@gmail.com (Carol) wrote i...

MAC SE Floppy Drive 1.4 meg Floppy Drive (old)
I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Previously I only had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive. When I tried to format one of my old disks, it still only had 800K. Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives use special disks? Or am I doing something wrong? Thank you, Bill Bill Bagot <wbagot1@san.rr.com> wrote: > I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive. Previously I only > had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive. When I tried to format one of > my old disks, it still only had 800K. Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives > use special disks? Or am I doing something wrong? ...

Help
My sys is running under XP SP2 & Athlon 2000. Currently the system recognizes all 4 hard drives and their associated partitions. I loaded XP onto a backup Hard Drive, leaving the remaining 3 data drives as they were. Booting up with the new drive, all drives are see by BIOS as the system boots. Windowz see two drives properly (disk 1 (Logical G & H) & 2 (Logical C)), but does not see disk 3 (Logical E) at all and doesn't see the partition data on disk 0 (Logical D & F). If I swap back to my original "C" drive (disk 2), all of the remaining driv...

Laptop died -- can I switch hard drives between laptops
I'm reasonably handy with computers but I'm kind of stymied on this one. I have a 5 year old Dell Inspiron with a Pentium III and Windows 2000. My laptop just decided to die on me. I'm pretty sure the hard drive is okay, as I replaced the hard drive less than 6 months ago. My question is, there's a lot of data I need to get off of my hard drive. If I take out the hard drive and stick it into another laptop with a Pentium M or a Pentium 4 (or even an AMD), what are the odds that the new laptop will boot up? If my idea above doesn't work, has anyone had experience with sticking a laptop hard drive in a USB external drive enclosure? Wilbur <wilburpan@hotmail.com> writes: > My question is, there's a lot of data I need to get off of my hard > drive. If I take out the hard drive and stick it into another laptop > with a Pentium M or a Pentium 4 (or even an AMD), what are the odds > that the new laptop will boot up? Windows is likely to notice the different hardware configuration and gripe about a full boot, but it will probably come up ok in safe mode. > If my idea above doesn't work, has anyone had experience with sticking > a laptop hard drive in a USB external drive enclosure? That should work. I like these things, though it's more expensive than you need, because of the included power supply. Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes: > That should work. I like these things, though it&...

Web resources about - Formatting a hard drive with no floppy drive ?? - comp.sys.laptops

Disk formatting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Disk formatting is the process of preparing a data storage device such as a hard disk drive , solid-state drive , floppy disk or USB flash drive ...

Gmail for Android gets rich text formatting & one-tap RSVPs for calendar invites
Google is announcing two notable new features for Gmail for Android today, including support for rich text formatting and a new “Instant RSVPs” ...

Paper by 53 gains app extension, new text formatting tools on iOS
... Extension so you can easily send images and notes from other apps directly to Paper. The app has also been updated with some new text formatting ...

Formatting « Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers ...
Above the Law: A Legal Web Site – News, Commentary, and Opinions on Law Firms, Lawyers, Law School, Law Suits, Judges and Courts

Gmail v5.6 Sets The Stage For Rich Text Formatting And Integration With Calendar Events [APK Teardown ...
The app updates hit quickly yesterday as about a dozen Google apps were given new versions. Among them, Gmail made an incremental bump to v5.6. ...

TextExpander 2.0 Brings Rich Text Formatting, Fill-In Snippets And More
... for Mac . One of the most notable changes brought about by TextExpander’s 2.0 update is the newly added support for rich text formatting. ...

WordEver HD - Text Editor with Redesigned Keyboard and MarkDown syntax & formatting highlight
Holen Sie sich „WordEver HD - Text Editor with Redesigned Keyboard and MarkDown syntax & formatting highlight“ im App Store. Sehen Sie sich Screenshots, ...

Macs are vulnerable to Thunderstrike 2 firmware malware that survives formatting
... Thursday, researchers will demonstrate that not only can Macs be remotely infected with malware, but that this malware can survive a user formatting ...

16 Tips on Blog Writing and Formatting
... again. My point is that you ought to take advice with a grain of salt. And that applies to this post as well. Writing blog posts and formatting ...

Productivity at your fingertips with rich text formatting and instant RSVPs
... more important than ever. That’s why today, we’re introducing two new Android features to help you manage your inbox on the go: rich text formatting ...