Having hard time retrieving Laptop hard drive data

I am trying to recover data from my laptop's hard drive.

I took the hard drive out of the laptop and put it in one of those
external hard drive boxes that connect to the USB port of a PC and
within a few minutes the drive showed up including access to all the
files inside the old hard drive.

I started switching files around from one folder to another to prepare
to burn them on DVD discs.
Stupid mistake!
I should have immediately copied the files from the old hard drive into
the computer!!!!!

Within about 30 minutes of switching files around, suddenly that
particular hard drive disapeared from the computer saying I no longer
had access to it.

I've tried it on other computers using the same external box and even
went to the point of buying another brand's external box---which the
computer never even recognzied, meaning I had less success with it.

Now, still trying to access the data, all the computer does is set up a
drive for it but it tries yet never actually reads it.  All the hard
drive does is turn and turn and turn for hours until I get tired and
unplug it.

Device Manager says the device is working perfectly.

I have even tried one of those internal IDE plug adapters.

I don't know if I need to set jumpers or what but I have tried
everything I possibly know how to try.

Does anyone know of any other possible way or some other method to get
data off this laptop hard drive?

Or is there something I am possibly doing wrong with the devices I have
because most of these devices come with absolutely no or very little
directions.

Help please !

:)

0
rantr13 (8)

Re: "I started switching files around from one folder to another to
prepare to burn them on DVD discs. Stupid mistake! I should have
immediately copied the files from the old hard drive into
the computer!!!!"

You got that part right.  In this type of situation, always, always,
always treat the source drive as "read only".

You may have lost the date irrecoverably, but maybe not.

In this type of situation, you will have more luck (if any) using an IDE
interface instead of USB.  Get a 2.5" to 3.5" ide cable adapter and try
that.

The information that you get from device manager relates only to the USB
controller in the external box, not to the drive itself.

USB external adapters are fine for drives that work ok and don't have
any fundamental underlying problems.  They do not work well, however,
when dealing with a drive that is failing or which has significant
hardware or data structure problems.

[The best way to use an IDE adapter is to temporarily put the laptop
drive, via the adpater, onto the secondary IDE port of a desktop
computer (temporarily disconnect all devices currently connected to that
port, usually optical drives).]

rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am trying to recover data from my laptop's hard drive.
>
> I took the hard drive out of the laptop and put it in one of those
> external hard drive boxes that connect to the USB port of a PC and
> within a few minutes the drive showed up including access to all the
> files inside the old hard drive.
>
> I started switching files around from one folder to another to prepare
> to burn them on DVD discs.
> Stupid mistake!
> I should have immediately copied the files from the old hard drive into
> the computer!!!!!
>
> Within about 30 minutes of switching files around, suddenly that
> particular hard drive disapeared from the computer saying I no longer
> had access to it.
>
> I've tried it on other computers using the same external box and even
> went to the point of buying another brand's external box---which the
> computer never even recognzied, meaning I had less success with it.
>
> Now, still trying to access the data, all the computer does is set up a
> drive for it but it tries yet never actually reads it.  All the hard
> drive does is turn and turn and turn for hours until I get tired and
> unplug it.
>
> Device Manager says the device is working perfectly.
>
> I have even tried one of those internal IDE plug adapters.
>
> I don't know if I need to set jumpers or what but I have tried
> everything I possibly know how to try.
>
> Does anyone know of any other possible way or some other method to get
> data off this laptop hard drive?
>
> Or is there something I am possibly doing wrong with the devices I have
> because most of these devices come with absolutely no or very little
> directions.
>
> Help please !
>
> :)

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
10/18/2006 12:39:21 AM
[...]

In the original message I mentioned:

> > I have even tried one of those internal IDE plug adapters.
> >
> > I don't know if I need to set jumpers or what but I have tried
> > everything I possibly know how to try.

The weird thing is those adapter plugs come with 40 pins when laptop
female IDE cables have one of the pins in the middle blocked.  PC's
block one of the pins in the middle probably to insure that it is being
put on correctly since it doesn't use that pin.  So basically, you have
to break the middle pin off of the adapter.  Neither PC's or laptop's
use them.  I looked at the laptop drive and it has no middle pin
either.

So if you have a 40 pin adapter, it isn't able to be fit into your PC's
IDE cable until the middle pin s broken off.  Since the laptop has the
pin missing anyway, it evidently is not needed.

So I connected the adapter to the laptop and to the PC's IDE cable
9after breaking off the middle uneeded pin) and connected the power
cable of the adapter-----and it still did absolutely nothing.

I had at least something trying to go on with the USB version (the
extrenal box adapter)....but nothing with the IDE cables.  I don't know
if I need to set some jumpers to accept the hard drive as "slave" or
what.

If so, I have no clue how to do that.

Any advice how to use the IDE cable adapters to where they work?
Because they come with absolutely no directions at all whatsoever.

Barry Watzman wrote:
> [...]
> > went to the point of buying another brand's external box---which the
> > computer never even recognzied, meaning I had less success with it.
> >
> > Now, still trying to access the data, all the computer does is set up a
> > drive for it but it tries yet never actually reads it.  All the hard
> > drive does is turn and turn and turn for hours until I get tired and
> > unplug it.
> >
> > Device Manager says the device is working perfectly.
> >
> > I have even tried one of those internal IDE plug adapters.
> >
> > I don't know if I need to set jumpers or what but I have tried
> > everything I possibly know how to try.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any other possible way or some other method to get
> > data off this laptop hard drive?
> >
> > Or is there something I am possibly doing wrong with the devices I have
> > because most of these devices come with absolutely no or very little

0
rantr13 (8)
10/18/2006 1:12:13 AM
rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:

> The weird thing is those adapter plugs come with 40 pins when laptop
> female IDE cables have one of the pins in the middle blocked.  PC's
> block one of the pins in the middle probably to insure that it is being
> put on correctly since it doesn't use that pin.  So basically, you have
> to break the middle pin off of the adapter.  Neither PC's or laptop's
> use them.  I looked at the laptop drive and it has no middle pin
> either.
>
> So if you have a 40 pin adapter, it isn't able to be fit into your PC's
> IDE cable until the middle pin s broken off.  Since the laptop has the
> pin missing anyway, it evidently is not needed.

I have an adapter here that is a circuit board with a female laptop IDE
adapter on one side, and a male PC IDE adapter on the other side. The PC
side has one pin missing. Yes you have to make sure that the laptop
drive is not plugged in upside down so pin 1 on the laptop drive has to
go on the end closest to the power adapter. Not sure what you are
talking about, but did you have the drive reversed?

Ian Singer

                See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
     hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
      All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?
iansinger (136)
10/18/2006 1:22:34 AM
>  Yes you have to make sure that the laptop
drive is not plugged in upside down so pin 1 on the laptop drive has to

go on the end closest to the power adapter. Not sure what you are
talking about, but did you have the drive reversed?  >

Nope, it was connected properly.

So I guess the "Master" - "Slave" thing isn't an issue.
Because this was once a Master drive in a laptop.
It seems like setting it up in a PC's IDE cable is making the drive a
Slave drive rather than another Master.

Sorry, I just have no clue what to do or what's going on, problemwise.

Ian Singer wrote:
> rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > The weird thing is those adapter plugs come with 40 pins when laptop
> > female IDE cables have one of the pins in the middle blocked.  PC's
> > block one of the pins in the middle probably to insure that it is being
> > put on correctly since it doesn't use that pin.  So basically, you have
> > to break the middle pin off of the adapter.  Neither PC's or laptop's
> > use them.  I looked at the laptop drive and it has no middle pin
> > either.
> >
> > So if you have a 40 pin adapter, it isn't able to be fit into your PC's
> > IDE cable until the middle pin s broken off.  Since the laptop has the
> > pin missing anyway, it evidently is not needed.
> >

> I have an adapter here that is a circuit board with a female laptop IDE
> adapter on one side, and a male PC IDE adapter on the other side. The PC
> side has one pin missing. Yes you have to make sure that the laptop
> drive is not plugged in upside down so pin 1 on the laptop drive has to
> go on the end closest to the power adapter. Not sure what you are
> talking about, but did you have the drive reversed?
>
> Ian Singer
>
> --

>                 See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
>      hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
>       All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
>     Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
>     I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?

rantr13 (8)
10/18/2006 1:36:43 AM
rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:

> So I guess the "Master" - "Slave" thing isn't an issue.
> Because this was once a Master drive in a laptop.
> It seems like setting it up in a PC's IDE cable is making the drive a
> Slave drive rather than another Master.

If the HD in the PC is set on the Primary IDE channel and the laptop
hard drive is on the Secondary IDE channel then that means they are both
on separate cables and so master/slave is immaterial.  If they are both
on the same cable then one has to be set as Master and the other as
SLAVE unless they are both set to autoselect.

Ian Singer

                See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
     hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
      All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?
iansinger (136)
10/18/2006 1:43:27 AM
What about trying this item here?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160025500940

Would it help me in any way different than the other methods I've
tried?

There's got to be something out there to solve this problem with?

I've even considered buying another one of the exact same laptop on
ebay and installing this hard drive in it instead.

Or buy an external hard drive, connect it to the PC then switch that
hard rive with the old laptop hard drive.

Or do those work on 40 (actually 39) pin adapters?

Seems like my only other alternative is to take a computer course on
how to work on computers.
And see if I can learn how myself.

Or pay a tech to teach me how.

0
rantr13 (8)
10/18/2006 2:12:51 AM
Normally the laptop drive will be configured as a master, but sometimes
as "cable select".  Put it on an IDE channel BY ITSELF (NO other drive
present), then it can be seen (since the desktop's hard drive is, by
definition, on the primary IDE channel, put the laptop drive on the
secondary channel.  If there were other drives on the secondary channel,
temporarily disconnect them).

Yes, there is a pin that is used for "keying" the connector.  The
adapter may or may not have that pin present. on the desktop side, and
it may not have the key on the laptop side.  You have to carefully
insure that you get pin 1 to pin 1 all the way from the motherboard IDE
port to the laptop drive (and all of the cables and adapters in
between).  You can put it on backwards.  Usually won't do any damage,
but it won't work.  You also have to connect power to the 2.5" to 3.5"
adapter.  If the drive doesn't spin up, then you definitely have
something wrong.

There is a chance that you broke off the wrong pin, if your reference to
"pin 1" was wrong somewhere.  [Breaking off a pin is sometimes necessary
if you have a desktop IDE cable which is keyed.  It's usually easier to
get an unkeyed cable than to break off the pin, and it's not difficult
to break off the wrong pin if you have the cable backwards (in fact,
there's almost a 50% chance of that).

rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:

> [...]
>>>went to the point of buying another brand's external box---which the
>>>computer never even recognzied, meaning I had less success with it.
>>>
>>>Now, still trying to access the data, all the computer does is set up a
>>>drive for it but it tries yet never actually reads it.  All the hard
>>>drive does is turn and turn and turn for hours until I get tired and
>>>unplug it.
>>>
>>>Device Manager says the device is working perfectly.
>>>
>>>I have even tried one of those internal IDE plug adapters.
>>>
>>>I don't know if I need to set jumpers or what but I have tried
>>>everything I possibly know how to try.
>>>
>>>Does anyone know of any other possible way or some other method to get
>>>data off this laptop hard drive?
>>>
>>>Or is there something I am possibly doing wrong with the devices I have
>>>because most of these devices come with absolutely no or very little

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
10/18/2006 3:28:26 AM
The laptop might have used "cable select" instead of "master", and if
so, depending on the cable that you use, the drive could come up as a
slave rather than as a master when you plug it into the desktop.

rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:

>> Yes you have to make sure that the laptop
>
> drive is not plugged in upside down so pin 1 on the laptop drive has to
>
> go on the end closest to the power adapter. Not sure what you are
> talking about, but did you have the drive reversed?  >
>
> Nope, it was connected properly.
>
> So I guess the "Master" - "Slave" thing isn't an issue.
> Because this was once a Master drive in a laptop.
> It seems like setting it up in a PC's IDE cable is making the drive a
> Slave drive rather than another Master.
>
> Sorry, I just have no clue what to do or what's going on, problemwise.
>

> Ian Singer wrote:
>
>>rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:
>>

>>>The weird thing is those adapter plugs come with 40 pins when laptop
>>>female IDE cables have one of the pins in the middle blocked.  PC's
>>>block one of the pins in the middle probably to insure that it is being
>>>put on correctly since it doesn't use that pin.  So basically, you have
>>>to break the middle pin off of the adapter.  Neither PC's or laptop's
>>>use them.  I looked at the laptop drive and it has no middle pin
>>>either.
>>>
>>>So if you have a 40 pin adapter, it isn't able to be fit into your PC's
>>>IDE cable until the middle pin s broken off.  Since the laptop has the
>>>pin missing anyway, it evidently is not needed.
>>>

>>I have an adapter here that is a circuit board with a female laptop IDE
>>adapter on one side, and a male PC IDE adapter on the other side. The PC
>>side has one pin missing. Yes you have to make sure that the laptop
>>drive is not plugged in upside down so pin 1 on the laptop drive has to
>>go on the end closest to the power adapter. Not sure what you are
>>talking about, but did you have the drive reversed?
>>
>>Ian Singer
>>
>>--
>>

>>=========================================================================
>>                See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
>>     hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
>>      All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
>>    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
>>    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?
>>=========================================================================

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
10/18/2006 3:29:40 AM
That's my favorite device, but no, it won't help you.  It's
architecturally no different than the USB case.  Just physically
different and more versatile (in ways that are irrelevant to your
current situation).

rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:

> What about trying this item here?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160025500940
>
> Would it help me in any way different than the other methods I've
> tried?
>
> There's got to be something out there to solve this problem with?
>
> I've even considered buying another one of the exact same laptop on
> ebay and installing this hard drive in it instead.
>
> Or buy an external hard drive, connect it to the PC then switch that
> hard rive with the old laptop hard drive.
>
> Or do those work on 40 (actually 39) pin adapters?
>
> Seems like my only other alternative is to take a computer course on
> how to work on computers.
> And see if I can learn how myself.
>
> Or pay a tech to teach me how.

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
10/18/2006 3:31:03 AM
Unfortunately, you don't have time to learn now.  And neither could a
tech really teach you in a reasonable amount of time (or at a reasonable
cost, if he's being paid).  Also, there is the possibility that the
drive is just dead, and that no one could get it to work ... e.g. you
might not be doing anything wrong.

rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:

> What about trying this item here?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160025500940
>
> Would it help me in any way different than the other methods I've
> tried?
>
> There's got to be something out there to solve this problem with?
>
> I've even considered buying another one of the exact same laptop on
> ebay and installing this hard drive in it instead.
>
> Or buy an external hard drive, connect it to the PC then switch that
> hard rive with the old laptop hard drive.
>
> Or do those work on 40 (actually 39) pin adapters?
>
> Seems like my only other alternative is to take a computer course on
> how to work on computers.
> And see if I can learn how myself.
>
> Or pay a tech to teach me how.

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
10/18/2006 3:32:47 AM
rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:

> What about trying this item here?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160025500940

Effectively same as the external drive box you already tried. Waste of
money for what you need.

> There's got to be something out there to solve this problem with?

So when you have it plugged in on the IDE cable on Secondary channel its
not recognized at all. Do you know if drive is still good? Ship it off
to a volunteer in this newsgroup and if its still good they will pull of
your data.

> I've even considered buying another one of the exact same laptop on
> ebay and installing this hard drive in it instead.

What for. If PC cant see it then laptop won't.

> Or buy an external hard drive, connect it to the PC then switch that
> hard rive with the old laptop hard drive.

Doesn't make sense.

> Or do those work on 40 (actually 39) pin adapters?
>
> Or pay a tech to teach me how.

Mail it to me and if the drive is stil functional I will pull off all
your data and mail back to you on CDs. Will even take drive as payment.

Ian Singer

                See my homepage at http://www.iansinger.com
     hosted on http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=10623894
      All genealogy is stored in TMG from http://www.whollygenes.com
    Charts and searching using TNG from http://www.tngsitebuilding.com
    I am near Toronto Canada, can I tell where you are from your reply?
iansinger (136)
10/18/2006 4:25:38 AM
I'll try what you suggest by unplugging all other devices on the
secondary cable.

But, no, with the pin present, the female PC IDE cable automatically
keeps the male adapter from being plugged in with a piece of plastic
blocking it.  Look in the middle of an IDE cable female plug.  Nearly
all IDE females have the piece of plastic blocking in the middle where
the missing pin should be.

So if the male adapter plugs in to the female IDE cable then you broke
off the correct pin.

I'm going try unplugging all secondary cables.

However, I expect to get some "Can't find...." error messages while
doing so.

We'll see.

Barry Watzman wrote:
> [...]
> >>always treat the source drive as "read only".
> >>
> >>You may have lost the date irrecoverably, but maybe not.
> >>
> >>In this type of situation, you will have more luck (if any) using an IDE
> >>interface instead of USB.  Get a 2.5" to 3.5" ide cable adapter and try
> >>that.
> >>
> >>The information that you get from device manager relates only to the USB
> >>controller in the external box, not to the drive itself.
> >>
> >>USB external adapters are fine for drives that work ok and don't have
> >>any fundamental underlying problems.  They do not work well, however,
> >>when dealing with a drive that is failing or which has significant
> >>hardware or data structure problems.
> >>
> >>[The best way to use an IDE adapter is to temporarily put the laptop
> >>drive, via the adpater, onto the secondary IDE port of a desktop
> >>computer (temporarily disconnect all devices currently connected to that

0
rantr13 (8)
10/18/2006 9:22:36 AM

Barry Watzman wrote:
> [...]
> >>always treat the source drive as "read only".
> >>
> >>You may have lost the date irrecoverably, but maybe not.
> >>
> >>In this type of situation, you will have more luck (if any) using an IDE
> >>interface instead of USB.  Get a 2.5" to 3.5" ide cable adapter and try
> >>that.
> >>
> >>The information that you get from device manager relates only to the USB
> >>controller in the external box, not to the drive itself.
> >>
> >>USB external adapters are fine for drives that work ok and don't have
> >>any fundamental underlying problems.  They do not work well, however,
> >>when dealing with a drive that is failing or which has significant
> >>hardware or data structure problems.
> >>
> >>[The best way to use an IDE adapter is to temporarily put the laptop
> >>drive, via the adpater, onto the secondary IDE port of a desktop
> >>computer (temporarily disconnect all devices currently connected to that

0
rantr13 (8)
10/18/2006 9:22:42 AM
Tried it all night long.

Again !  Another all nighter.

I even put the laptop drive in the Master Drive cable just to see what
would happen but it said it was missing a system file and to put in
Windows Recovery disc in and press R.
I did that and never succeeded in recovering the problem.
'
I just don't understand why it onjce worked when I first put it in this
particular computer.

And now it won't work at all.

It creates a drive for the hard drive whether in the USB adapter or on
the IDE cable but that's as far as it it gets.  It never reads the
drive.

Yet Device Manager says it's working perfectly.

I don't know if the Bios is rejecting it for some reason or what.

Why would it work in the beginning and after 30 minutes, reject it and
never let it read again.

There has just got to be some way to retrieve the files off this
computer.
Truthfully I am only after about 5 or 6 crucial files that are
irreplaceable.
the rest I don't care about.

And I am to the point of paying almost anything to get the files.

But because of the contents on the drive involving personal files, I
have to be the one to do it.
Not a tech.

See the bind I am in?

rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:
> [...]
> > > either.
> > >
> > > So if you have a 40 pin adapter, it isn't able to be fit into your PC's
> > > IDE cable until the middle pin s broken off.  Since the laptop has the
> > > pin missing anyway, it evidently is not needed.
> > >
> > > So I connected the adapter to the laptop and to the PC's IDE cable
> > > 9after breaking off the middle uneeded pin) and connected the power
> > > cable of the adapter-----and it still did absolutely nothing.
> > >
> > > I had at least something trying to go on with the USB version (the
> > > extrenal box adapter)....but nothing with the IDE cables.  I don't know
> > > if I need to set some jumpers to accept the hard drive as "slave" or
> > > what.
> > >
> > > If so, I have no clue how to do that.
> > >
> > > Any advice how to use the IDE cable adapters to where they work?
> > > Because they come with absolutely no directions at all whatsoever.

0
rantr13 (8)
10/18/2006 1:00:47 PM
That's because you have a polarized cable.  Most cables for desktop IDE
drives are not polarized (e.g. most cables have all holes open).  Your
statement that "Nearly all IDE females have the piece of plastic
blocking in the middle" is incorrect.  Many do, but most do not.

rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:

> [...]
>>>either.
>>>
>>>So if you have a 40 pin adapter, it isn't able to be fit into your PC's
>>>IDE cable until the middle pin s broken off.  Since the laptop has the
>>>pin missing anyway, it evidently is not needed.
>>>
>>>So I connected the adapter to the laptop and to the PC's IDE cable
>>>9after breaking off the middle uneeded pin) and connected the power
>>>cable of the adapter-----and it still did absolutely nothing.
>>>
>>>I had at least something trying to go on with the USB version (the
>>>extrenal box adapter)....but nothing with the IDE cables.  I don't know
>>>if I need to set some jumpers to accept the hard drive as "slave" or
>>>what.
>>>
>>>If so, I have no clue how to do that.
>>>
>>>Any advice how to use the IDE cable adapters to where they work?
>>>Because they come with absolutely no directions at all whatsoever.

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
10/18/2006 3:46:25 PM
RE: "it said it was missing a system file and to put in Windows Recovery
disc in and press R.  I did that and ..."

With all due respect, you don't learn very well.

You don't want to actually do ***ANYTHING*** to this drive EXCEPT read
it and recover the files by copying them to another drive.  By
attempting to boot from it, you have made matters WORSE, you have
DECREASED your chances of ever recovering ANYTHING.

STOP "DOING THINGS" to the drive!  The drive is apparently damaged,
although the damage may be either actually physical or only to the data
structure (e.g. a low-level format could fix the drive, but all data
would be permanently and irretrievably lost).

If you care about the data on that drive, you need to get assistance
from someone who knows what they are doing.  You have already done a lot
of damage that has already drastically reduced your chances of ever
seeing any of that data again.

rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:

> [...]
>>>adapter may or may not have that pin present. on the desktop side, and
>>>it may not have the key on the laptop side.  You have to carefully
>>>insure that you get pin 1 to pin 1 all the way from the motherboard IDE
>>>port to the laptop drive (and all of the cables and adapters in
>>>between).  You can put it on backwards.  Usually won't do any damage,
>>>but it won't work.  You also have to connect power to the 2.5" to 3.5"
>>>adapter.  If the drive doesn't spin up, then you definitely have
>>>something wrong.
>>>
>>>There is a chance that you broke off the wrong pin, if your reference to
>>>"pin 1" was wrong somewhere.  [Breaking off a pin is sometimes necessary
>>>if you have a desktop IDE cable which is keyed.  It's usually easier to
>>>get an unkeyed cable than to break off the pin, and it's not difficult
>>>to break off the wrong pin if you have the cable backwards (in fact,

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
10/18/2006 3:52:34 PM
Barry Watzman wrote:
> RE: "it said it was missing a system file and to put in Windows Recovery
> disc in and press R.  I did that and ..."
>
> With all due respect, you don't learn very well. >

On the contrary, I do learn very well.
It's just that some people try and be helpful when they're not.
(Read on):

As a matter of fact, I apparently learn a lot better than experienced
tech's do. I brought the hard drive to a proffessional tech, who claim
there wasn't a hard drive they couldn't salvage the data from.  After
giving up my hard drive for over a week in their hands, I was told the
drive was too corrupted to retrieve anything from.  However, I refused
to believe "the impossible" and continued tackling the problem on my
own.

I, actually, learn so well that after weeks of misery, I have fixed the
problem on my own with, of course, what information I could find here
and there on the internet.

I've just finished copying onto another computer the final files
(approx 10 or so gigs of data) that needed to be taken off of the
original laptop's hard drive.

For those who are ever struck with that blue screen attack where the
computer (my case was a laptop) crashes and causes Windows (XP, in my
case) to keep rebooting over and over never allowing you to reach
Windows to access any of your files, don't give up.

My problem was that after I bought a few laptop adapters including both
the USB port type where you put your laptop hard drive into a little
external box then plug it it's data cord and power cord into another
computer or laptop's USB ports & also the adapter where you plug the
laptop's hard drive into the IDE cable inside a PC.  On the computer's
I was using, I found none of them being very receptive to either of the
adapters.  The most I could get was one computer we had out of several
to create a new drive (J drive) but it would not reach the point of
actually reading the drive.

Before when the hard drive was in the original laptop and I had tried
to fix it through Windows Recovery, it would give out approx 75% of the
way through saying there were more than one errors on the drive that
were unrecoverable.  A task that always took nearly a whole 24 hours to
reach.

This time, I decided to try and fix the problem with a faster speedier
Computer.

About a week and a half ago, a friend of mine had just bought a top of
the line computer with the fastest mhz and highest ram out.  He told me
to bring my hard drive over knowing I've been desperately trying to
retrieve the data from it for about 2 months now.

We used the IDE cable adapter hooking it inside his computer to what
was labled "SLAVE".

Only this time, when we turned on his computer, it booted directly onto
my laptop's "corrupted" hard drive, something that had never happened
in any of the other computers I ever had the adapter in before.  Sure
enough, we got the screen that gives the choice of: the Safe Modes,
Windows that last worked correctly, Windows normally, etc.  Only sure
enough, when we'd choose one, the hard drive would crash causing the
new computer to reboot.

So I decided to do a Windows Repair on the hard drive.  Maybe in this
new speedier computer, it would go beyond 75%.  After choosing "R", it
went through all the file loadings bringing the screen to the C:\>
prompt where I typed in "chkdsk /r".

On it's way, the PC went to repairing.  Only this time, it took just a
few hours to actually fix the c: drive 100% compared to the original
laptop's 24 hours that only reached 75% to tell me there were
unrepairable errors.

So now, I had the C drive repaired 100% with a new prompt which was
something like:
c:\>windows

Eventually, I was led to a point of being asked which Windows did I
want to load, which the only choice given was 1 so I typed in "1" where
I was asked for an administrative password, having to refer to the net
to find out that the password is more than likely none, just hit enter.

Then I was brought to the initial Windows screen where you pick which
name you want to log into:
1
or
Administrative.

There was only one problem.

The new speedier computer had an electronic mouse with the red light at
the bottom.
My laptop's hard drive only recognized the ball-on-bottom type mouse so
the curser on the screen could not move to choose which to log into.

So then I decided to use one of my external hard drives that plugs into
the USB ports and see if they could finally assist.

Logged onto a screen we couldn't do anything with, we had to unplug the
PC's power cord, unplug the IDE cable adapter and boot the PC we were
using onto it's own Windows.

Once there, I assembled the laptop's hard drive in one of the external
boxes that plug into the USB ports.  Right away, the plug and play
began to pick it up creating a J drive and finally reading it.

At last, I was FINALLY looking at all of the contents of my hard drive
just exactly like it was the last time I had seen it 2 months before.

Immediatley, I began copying all of the important files into the new
PC.
Only I had a hard time because just like before the J drive kept coming
and going, appearing and disapearing.
I copied about a fifth of all the files I wanted until the J drive
disapeared all together and never came back.

I was back to the point to where I was at before, only this time, I, at
least, had my most important files recovered.

But I still wanted more.

If it could be fixed once after being told by "so called" experienced
tech's that it was "impossible" and that I "don't learn very well",
this inexperienced tech was determined to fix it again.

My take, from all that I had experienced before and after the crash was
that it was infected with a virus corrupting files in the hard drive
making it impossible to load Windows keeping the hard drive from being
repaired.

Only this time, the problem was more difficult to fix than before
because now the hard drive would not load on the new speedier PC's IDE
slave cable at all like it did before.

After a very lengthy period of trying, I gave up and decided to try to
repair the hard drive in the original laptop it came from since that
seemed to be the only machine that would pick up any detection of it.

I put the hard drive back in the original laptop and sure enough was
right back at the same point I was at before: blue screen crashes, not
being able to boot into the safe mode, being left with no choice but to
do another Windows Recovery.

Only this time, it would take me days to complete the process.

The first time I tried it, after about 7 hours, it stopped at about 70%
telling me there were too many errors on the disc that were
unrepairable.

But as one probably guesses by now, I do not take bull-crap like that
for an answer.  After all, how many times have I been told crap like
that by computers, experienced tech's, etc the past few weeks?

I tried again by unplugging the laptop and before it even attempted to
even try to "R" the drive, it gave me the exact same message.

Oh no!  Screw that crap, take the hard drive out, reboot the laptop
without the hard drive in it, let it tell you it can't find it's
operating system, then shutdown the laptop, stick the hard drive back
in it and try Windows Recovery all over again!

After doing all that, sure enough, Windows "R" began on it's way to
attempt to fix the hard drive all over again.

This time, it took a period of 3 days!
3 whole days to FINALLY reach 100% !
After it had reached 50 or so percent it began taking about 2 or 3
hours to travel even one more percent that at first, I thought the
laptop was just jammed and started to give up and unplug it.

Then suddenly it moved up a notch adding another digit to the
percentage.
As long as there was life being added to the process, I wasn't giving
up.

However, it was going so slow, I just knew it was going to crash on me
again.  After all this laptop had been through, it was not in the best
shape at all.

Finally, I was back at the point of having fixed the latop's hard drive
100% all over again.

Only what was going to happen when I plugged it back into the external
USB adapter to the other speedier computer?

After all, the hard drive was still crashing with blue screens on the
original laptop refusing to load Windows.

So back into the USB adapter it went.  Only this time, I was going to
do something different.

This time with the hard drive in the USB adapter of the new speedier
computer, I was going to boot the PC in the Safe Mode and see if I
could copy files from there.  Perhaps the Safe Mode would keep the
virus from corrupting the external hard drive from reappearring over
and over to the point of disapearing and not being able to be read all
together as it had done the past few times after it's initial first 30
minutes.

So I booted the new speedier PC into the Safe Mode, plugged in the
external USB adapter with the hard drive all hooked up.  Plug and Play
didn't pick up like the last time but the PC still managed to create
the new "J" drive---and sure enough once again, all my laptop's hard
drive content was there all over again right before my eyes.

This time, I had much better luck copying files into the new PC.

A few times, the "J" drive disapeared then reappeared.

But it never disapeared all together.

Practically, nothing else can be done nor works in the Safe Mode
including the Virus Protection the computer is loaded with.

But at least I was able to copy almost every file from laptop's hard
drive.

There was one large unimportant 500 meg file I was going to copy that
was corrupted and not possible to copy.

But at least I got about 99.5% of my hard drive content back that was
termed impossible to get from a tech.

That is why it is sometimes not a good idea to fool with techs.  They
have too much to do and just assume lable your drive "an impossible
task, give it up" so they can move on to the next job.

So let's refer to this tech's here comments:

> You don't want to actually do ***ANYTHING*** to this drive EXCEPT read
> it and recover the files by copying them to another drive.  >

Exactly.
That's what I wanted to do.

Only what I wanted to do and what I was being allowed to do from a
infective drive are 2 different things.

< By attempting to boot from it, you have made matters WORSE, you have
> DECREASED your chances of ever recovering ANYTHING. >

That wasn't the case at all, only your opinion.

> STOP "DOING THINGS" to the drive! >

If I had stopped "doing things to the drive" and listened to people
like you, I would be stuck with a dead drive nothing at all could be
done with.

> The drive is apparently damaged, >

The drive is not damaged at all.
"Infected" was the more accurate term.

The drive has been put back into the original laptop, only this time
since the files were no longer needed from it, I reformatted Windows XP
onto the drive and the laptop & it's hard drive boots Windows up
perfectly.

You'd swear tech's know very little about viruses that causes your
computer reboot constantly.

It's actually so sophhisticated that experienced tech's can't fix it
without wanting to completely reformat your hard drive since that's the
easy way out.

It makes one wonder how many times people have been told the same
things I've been told the past few weeks that it actually takes an
inexperienced tech determined to fix the problem to beat the virus,
restore all of the hard drive's files and reformat the drive.

Sounds a LOT simpler than it really is to the point to where tech's
don't have the time for the "restore" part of that problem.

> although the damage may be either actually physical or only to the data
> structure (e.g. a low-level format could fix the drive, but all data
> would be permanently and irretrievably lost). >

There goes those famous words from an experienced tech people dread to
hear.

> If you care about the data on that drive, you need to get assistance
> from someone who knows what they are doing. >

Yea, right.
Just so I can be told those famous words people dread to hear all the
time.
"Your data is permanently and irretrievably lost!"

< You have already done a lot
> of damage that has already drastically reduced your chances of ever
> seeing any of that data again. >

On the contrary, I have recovered nearly everything that needed to be
recovered from the drive of approx 10 gigs or so worth of data,
reformatted the hard drive with Windows XP and am going to use the 60
gig hard drive as a spare.

> rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Tried it all night long.
> >
> > Again !  Another all nighter.
> >
> > I even put the laptop drive in the Master Drive cable just to see what
> > would happen but it said it was missing a system file and to put in
> > Windows Recovery disc in and press R.
> > I did that and never succeeded in recovering the problem.
> > '
> > I just don't understand why it onjce worked when I first put it in this
> > particular computer.
> >
> > And now it won't work at all.
> >
> > It creates a drive for the hard drive whether in the USB adapter or on
> > the IDE cable but that's as far as it it gets.  It never reads the
> > drive.
> >
> > Yet Device Manager says it's working perfectly.
> >
> > I don't know if the Bios is rejecting it for some reason or what.
> >
> > Why would it work in the beginning and after 30 minutes, reject it and
> > never let it read again.
> >
> > There has just got to be some way to retrieve the files off this
> > computer.
> > Truthfully I am only after about 5 or 6 crucial files that are
> > irreplaceable.
> > the rest I don't care about.
> >
> > And I am to the point of paying almost anything to get the files.
> >
> > But because of the contents on the drive involving personal files, I
> > have to be the one to do it.
> > Not a tech.
> >
> > See the bind I am in?
> >

> > rantr13@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> >>I'll try what you suggest by unplugging all other devices on the
> >>secondary cable.
> >>
> >>But, no, with the pin present, the female PC IDE cable automatically
> >>keeps the male adapter from being plugged in with a piece of plastic
> >>blocking it.  Look in the middle of an IDE cable female plug.  Nearly
> >>all IDE females have the piece of plastic blocking in the middle where
> >>the missing pin should be.
> >>
> >>So if the male adapter plugs in to the female IDE cable then you broke
> >>off the correct pin.
> >>
> >>I'm going try unplugging all secondary cables.
> >>
> >>However, I expect to get some "Can't find...." error messages while
> >>doing so.
> >>
> >>We'll see.

0
rantr13 (8)
11/1/2006 12:48:01 PM
<rantr13@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On the contrary, I do learn very well.
> It's just that some people try and be helpful when they're not...

Good show ranr13! Through days of hard work you showed them the
impossible is indeed possible. I'm an electrical engineer and I have the
same problem with techs too. And customer service are the worst! Here is
a quote you might like.

People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are
doing it. -- Anonymous

--
Bill

0
BillW50 (3525)
11/1/2006 7:08:48 PM
BillW50 wrote:

> <rantr13@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> On the contrary, I do learn very well.
>> It's just that some people try and be helpful when they're not...
>

> Good show ranr13! Through days of hard work you showed them the
> impossible is indeed possible. I'm an electrical engineer and I have the
> same problem with techs too. And customer service are the worst! Here is
> a quote you might like.
>
> People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are
> doing it. -- Anonymous

  For harddrive problems and repairs, you might consider "Spinrite" by
Gibson Research.  It has worked miracles for me, many many many times.
A poor man's harddrive repair software so to speak that works most of
the time....

|  Etop Udoh   | Http://www.geocities.com/sdruid11                 |
| P.O. Box 1054| Http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/sdruid               |
|Snellville, Ga| Http://home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-sdruid            |
|    30078     | Http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/bit/9122   |
|--------------| Http://home.earthlink.net/~sdruid11               |
|          A+ Certified                           Net+ Certified   |
|                      \/                      \/                  |
|sdruid11@earthlink.net |sdruid11@bellsouth.net |sdruid11@yahoo.com|
| !!        ..........Peace and Love to All.........          !!   |
sdruid11 (33)

How do I retrieve data on my laptop's hard drive?
When a desktop PC crashes, I simply take out its hard disk, insert it into another PC as a secondary drive (drive D). Then, boot up that PC. Copy all my data from D to drive C, and I'll get my data back. So here's my question: My Toshiba laptop, model Satellite P25-S670, crashed. So I took out its hard drive. How can I retrieve my data on that hard drive? Thanks in advance. In news:1157060160.128684.230330@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com serendipity1276@yahoo.com wrote: > My Toshiba laptop, model Satellite P25-S670, crashed. So I took out > its hard drive. How can I retrieve my data on that hard drive? > Thanks in advance. Go to the drugstore and pick up a case of the appropriate size with an external USB or FireWire interface to match what's on your recovery system and an internal interface to match that of your laptop's drive. Put it together, plug in to your recovery system and go. Then when you get your new laptop, you can use the old drive for backup or other purposes. -- Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com Same way. The laptop hard drive is the same as the desktop hard drive except for the connector (if it's an IDE drive .... laptop SATA drives even use the same connector as desktop SATA drives). You have two choices: 1. Get a connector adapter, laptop IDE to desktop IDE (about $5) 2. Get an external USB case or adapter for the laptop hard drive, and connect via USB. While cases are available for about $10 and...

Syncing folders
Hi. I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it Is this possible ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi. > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it > > I want a folder on my MacBook Pro hard disk that syncs to it > > Is this possible === I use "arRsync" from .......... http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/ ... free and opensource === mikehes@gmail.com wrote: > ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an external Hard Drive - I keep MP3 etc. on it...

FT: 6.4gb desktop hard drives....I need laptop hard drives
I have at least 50 6.4gb hard drives(these go in your desktop or tower, most are western digital and some are maxtor). I'd like to trade some or all of these for 4gb or 5gb laptop hard drives, the laptop drives must fit into an ibm thinkpad 600. to email me go here: http://www.geocities.com/pauldbz/ ...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy)
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

Plastic insulator for laptop hard drive (preventing short circuits on hard drive caddy) #2
Hi, I need to replace a hard drive in a laptop. The hard drive is mounted in a metal caddy. There's a brown plastic insulator glued to the metal caddy to prevent the circuit board of the original hard drive touching the metal and cause a short circuit. The plastic is custom-cut for the original hard drive (the circuit board doesn't cover the entire hard drive top surface). The new hard drive has a circuit board covering the whole hard drive top surface. So there's an area where the circuit board touches the metal of the caddy. The question is : Where can we buy some pl...

Laptop died -- can I switch hard drives between laptops
I'm reasonably handy with computers but I'm kind of stymied on this one. I have a 5 year old Dell Inspiron with a Pentium III and Windows 2000. My laptop just decided to die on me. I'm pretty sure the hard drive is okay, as I replaced the hard drive less than 6 months ago. My question is, there's a lot of data I need to get off of my hard drive. If I take out the hard drive and stick it into another laptop with a Pentium M or a Pentium 4 (or even an AMD), what are the odds that the new laptop will boot up? If my idea above doesn't work, has anyone had experience with sticking a laptop hard drive in a USB external drive enclosure? Wilbur <wilburpan@hotmail.com> writes: > My question is, there's a lot of data I need to get off of my hard > drive. If I take out the hard drive and stick it into another laptop > with a Pentium M or a Pentium 4 (or even an AMD), what are the odds > that the new laptop will boot up? Windows is likely to notice the different hardware configuration and gripe about a full boot, but it will probably come up ok in safe mode. > If my idea above doesn't work, has anyone had experience with sticking > a laptop hard drive in a USB external drive enclosure? That should work. I like these things, though it's more expensive than you need, because of the included power supply. Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> writes: > That should work. I like these things, though it&...

Hard times with hard drive...
Hi, all... Just got an 80-gig Western Digital IDE drive. I'm trying to use the thing on my A4000's built-in IDE port. Yeah, yeah, I know, but hey, if you can refer me to a good IDE controller that won't crawl an Amiga to a halt or make the mouse very jerky, I'd love to know about it. Now...the problem is that when I partition this thing, save changes to the drive, and reboot, I get an endless loop of 8000 0004 gurus during startup. I've tried partitioning this thing both with PFS3 [SCSI-Direct] and FFS and got the same results. Just for fun I'd "Boot With No Startup-Sequence" and try to format the drive...some of the partitions actually format fine, but it seems that partitions after...I'd say about 30 gigabytes...give me write errors... Now....I did some searching in Google's Deja archive earlier and saw that there are many users using even BIGGER drives on the built-in IDE port and having zero problems. What should I be looking out for? BTW...I have a 13.6-gig drive on the same port. When partitioning the drive I use the same mask and maxtransfer, but then changing them doesn't make a heap of difference. Any thoughts? -- dauber (at) banana-and-louie (dot) org / dauber.50megs.com Amiga 4000 Power Tower Mk2 * GVP 4060 * OS 3.9/BB2/DOpus 5.82 2MB chip/144 fast * Picasso IV * Prelude ZII * GVP I/O Extender * Highway USB OK...thinking that maybe for some reason, there's a 20-gig limit on the built...

Can iTunes from one laptop play music on another laptop's hard drive?
i have a macbook pro and an ibook both have bluetooth and airport extreme Can I use itunes to play music that is on the hard drive of a DIFFERENT laptop? ben.necho@yahoo.com wrote: > i have a macbook pro and an ibook > > both have bluetooth and airport extreme > > Can I use itunes to play music that is on the hard drive of a DIFFERENT > laptop? > Yes, with some caveats. It depends on what you mean by "music that is on the hard drive of a DIFFERENT laptop". You can connect to participating iTunes instances in the same net, and stream music from that. ...

Laptop Hard Drive
I need a laptop hard drive for my Dell Insp. 8000. Need a 40-8- GB HD if anyone has one or knows a good place to get them cheep. Robert texasgunman @ ev1 dot net ...

Laptop Hard drive...
I have a Gateway laptop and the power button broke on it. What is the best way to get the files from the hard drive so I can put them on another computer or CD? If you need any other information just let me know. Thanks, Sharon On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 16:34:47 -0600, snt2300 <snt2300.322jal@no.email.invalid> wrote: > >I have a Gateway laptop and the power button broke on it. What is the >best way to get the files from the hard drive so I can put them on >another computer or CD? If you need any other information just let me >know. > >Thanks, Sharon > Assuming that you can't operate the laptop at all, I guess you'd first have to remove the laptop's hard drive. Once that is accomplished, it then depends on what hardware you have available. Basically, your choices seem to be: 1. An adapter that allows you to install the laptop drive in a desktop as an IDE drive. They sell for about $5. This isn't the easiest method since it involves opening the desktop machine and installing another drive in it. 2. A USB adapter that connects to the laptop drive. They sell for about $15-20. This allows you to connect the bare drive to the USB connection on another computer. 3. A housing in which you install the laptop drive, thus making it a "portable" external drive. Again, you then simply connect it to another computer. These vary a lot in price, but I've seen them on sale for as little as $20. Or, I guess you could just take the la...

Replacing a boot hard drive A with another hard drive A', while preserving the data in A
I have a Linux box L with three hard drives, A, B and C. B and C contain just user data, whereas all the OS data (that is, things like /usr, /etc, /boot etc.) lives in A. I would like to replace A with an all new hard drive A'. What is the least painful way of achieving this? In an ideal world what I'd like to do is the following: 1) Install A' in some other Linux box L' that is accessible from L by NFS. 2) Replicate A on A' over the NFS. (How's this done, by the way?) 3) Replace A with A'. That is, remove A from L, and A' from L'; install A&#...

can I use desktop hard drive as external laptop drive?
Hi. My mom gave me her old compaq presario 1200 because my desktop motherboard burnt out and I couldn't afford to fix it. The hard drive in my laptop is very small, and all of my old files are still on the hard drive from my desktop, which still is in good condition. Is there a way to connect the old hard drive (it's an internal drive)to my laptop? thanks, Kristie yes, get an external drive box for about $40, they make in USB or FWire connection, or both. I did it, works great. -- Dennis Savatski "Kristie" <kjd183@psu.edu> wrote in message news:8c9b4541.0401221503...

drive problems / smallish laptop hard drive for sale cheap?
So I just installed a 5300cs motherboard in my trusty old 190cs, wiped the drive and installed os9 and some Lucent wireless software, and all was right with the world. Then I installed a 3Com driver for my ethernet pcmcia card, and everything went south. Now I'm stuck with a 500 meg laptop hard drive that comes out clean according to both Disk Warrior and DFA, but won't find a system on it when you boot it on it's own - all it does is go spin*click*spin*click* on startup. So, as this is an original, 6+ year old hard drive, is anyone of an opinion that it might be savable, o...

Best way to backup laptop hard drive? (drive imaging utilities)
This is the first time I have owned a laptop. It took me dozens of hours to setup Windows XP, install my applications and customize my environment. I backup my data files often, but this doesnt help me if my laptop is lost or stolen or my hard drive fails. I will have to start from scratch to reinstall and tweak my setup on a new machine. I want to avoid this potential problem as I am currently in school. I am considering using a hard disk imaging type of backup program such as Norton Ghost or Power Quest Drive Image 7.0. In theory this would allow me to restore the configuration I had on my p...

upgrading hard drive on laptop
I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2 equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applications on the new drive. Thanks techman41973@yahoo.com wrote: : I have a laptop with a 30Gig hard drive that I have partitioned into 2 : equal partitions. I would like to replace the 30gig with a 60 gig : drive. What is the easiest way to transfer my drive image, so that I : don't need to install Windows XP and all of my applica...

Looking for Laptop Hard Drive
Looking for a used (or Non-Working) Seagate Momentus 80GB Laptop Hard Drive (Model ST9808 15A-RK), or more specifically, the connector/circuit board from one. - Thanks ...

external hard drive with laptop
OK, guys---we've got a couple of rocket scientists (not) hard at work, and we've run up against a stump. Let me give the background of the problem, and tell what we're up to. Got a friend who has a laptop. His hard drive crashed awhile back. He took the laptop to a pc shop and got a new hard drive installed. He was checking out options of recovering his files off the old hard drive. I told him same thing had happened to me, and the way I did it was to take out my bad hard drive, get all the numbers off it, find a new identical one, then take the controller boards off a...

laptop hard drive password
Hello We have 2 IBM Travelstar Hard Drives that have been tested using the "IBM fitness test software utility" and have failed the test due to "password" protection. Does anyone know how to break hdd passwords? If so it would be much appreciated if you can help. -- Thanks Mark In article <6w17b.13920$ae6.4483@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>, pc.parts@verizon.net says... > Hello > > We have 2 IBM Travelstar Hard Drives that have been tested using the "IBM > fitness test software utility" and have failed the test due to "password" > prot...

fast laptop hard drives
I have a new laptop, and it seems like the big bottle neck is the speed of the HDD. It's a Fujitsu P7000 and appearantly has a "30 GB; 4200 rpm; P-ATA 100; shock-mounted" HDD. See http://www.computers.us.fujitsu.com/www/products_notebooks.shtml?products/notebooks/tech_specs/p7120_p7120d_ts for more info. I know they make 5400 rpm laptop HDDs, but my big question is, what HDD's in the laptop world are known for having the most speed. And are there any to aviod? Price is somewhat important, but I can spend up to about $400, and will be fine with 30-40GB as long as it's significantly faster than my stock HDD. I'd appriciate any input, Thank you, --Farrell F. In news:1144522927.234459.101490@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com upgrdman@gmail.com wrote: > I know they make 5400 rpm laptop HDDs, but my big question is, what > HDD's in the laptop world are known for having the most speed. And are > there any to aviod? They make 7200 laptop drives now. > Price is somewhat important, but I can spend up to about $400, and > will be fine with 30-40GB as long as it's significantly faster than my > stock HDD. For less than US$200 (I'm assuming that you're in the US) you can get a 100GB 7200RPM drive. -- Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com Actually they make 5400 and 7200 rpm laptop drives. The issue probably is the rotational speed. At the same rotational speed, there is almost no difference between different ...

Upgrading laptop hard drive--how?
I have Windows XP installed on the old drive, and I don't have the disk. I want to move my current installation onto a larger laptop drive. I guess I need to image the old drive and copy it perfectly onto the new one. Anybody know how this is done? Thanks. "Hiawatha Bray" <watha2020@fusemail.com> wrote in message news:EvXAf.479$ie3.323@trndny09... >I have Windows XP installed on the old drive, and I don't have the disk. I >want to move my current installation onto a larger laptop drive. I guess I >need to image the old drive and copy it perfectly onto the new one. >Anybody know how this is done? Thanks. Yeah. Imaging software. And a place to put the imaged hard drive. Like an external hard drive or a friends computer you can borrow to hold the image for transferring. In news:EvXAf.479$ie3.323@trndny09 "Hiawatha Bray" <watha2020@fusemail.com> wrote: > I have Windows XP installed on the old drive, and I don't have the disk. > I want to move my current installation onto a larger laptop drive. I > guess I need to image the old drive and copy it perfectly onto the new > one. Anybody know how this is done? Thanks. Programs like Acronis True Image and Norton's Ghost are used to do this. I moved XP Pro from my ThinkPad's 40GB 4500RPM disk to a new 60GB 7200RPM disk using True Image. I got a cheap external USB case, temporarily mounted the new drive in it, transferred th...

laptop hard drive compatibility
Hi, I need to find a replacement for this 1.8" hitachi c4k40 hard drive: http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.c3a19fd2cb7342d3c15ebaa3eac4f0a0 But it appears to have been discontinued. The closest replacement I can get hold of is the c4k60: http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.c3a19fd2cb7342d3c15ebaa3eac4f0a0 However, this appears to have 50 pins whereas the other has 44 pins. The connector in the laptop is 44 pins. Will it somehow be compatible still? Oar does anyone know of another alternative? many thanks Previously salmanjavaheri@yah...

Laptops with Modular Hard Drives
Are there any laptop manufacturers other than Gateway which offer laptops with a modular hard drive, i.e. easily removable and swappable to another similar laptop? Dell Does, it has an external drive tray almost you remove 2 screws and a tray slides out, if you have another tray you can swap them like you can the modular cdrom or battery almost all the dell laptops I have used after I have removed the screws once you never really use them again the connector is plenty strong enough to hold the drive in "Richard Kaplan" <rkaplan@umrpc.com> wrote in message news:f8550f51.0401...

Laptop with removable Hard Drive
Hello all, Please advice me with a model and vendor that I can siwtch between hard drives as I work between multi operating systems . I need them to be switched physically not to multiboot the hard drive. What I mean that I will have say 4 hard drives and make my laptop boot from any one I want . Please reply me in English. Thanks <ehabaziz2001@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1190246528.509403.195890@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > Hello all, > Please advice me with a model and vendor that I can siwtch between > hard drives as I work between multi operating systems . I need them to > be switched physically not to multiboot the hard drive. What I mean > that I will have say 4 hard drives and make my laptop boot from any > one I want . Please reply me in English. > Thanks > Most new laptops are now able to boot from an external USB hard drive if that option is chosen in the BIOS settings. Provided the laptop supports the option just set it to Boot from USB as your first choice and the internal hard drive as the second choice. Verify the laptop you want to purchase has these options and then just get a couple of external USB drives. Load the operating systems of your choice on them and boot the drive of your choice. In comp.sys.laptops ehabaziz2001@gmail.com wrote: > Hello all, > Please advice me with a model and vendor that I can siwtch between > hard drives as I work between multi operating systems . I need them to > ...

Clone Laptop Hard Drive
I'm trying to work out the easiest way to do this...I've got... a laptop hard drive on its last legs, a new laptop hard drive and an external USB drive. The best I can think of is get Ghost 10.0 and... 1. ghost current hard drive to external USB drive 2. put in new hard drive 3. boot with Recovery CD (BIG question. will I be able to see the USB hard drive?) 4. Ghost from USB hard drive to new hard drive Comments...and TIA -- Grumps Close, but there is a better way. 1. Get a USB case for an external 2.5" IDE laptop hard drive (about $10) 2. Put the new drive into the external case 3. Ghost the current drive to the new drive 4. Put the new drive into the laptop Only one ghost operation. (Note: for reasons that are not clear, sometimes a "ghosted" partition won't boot and requires some level of maintanence which in some cases ranges up to a "repair installation"). Be sure that when you do the Ghost of the partition, you set the partition active and make it bootable. [Personally I prefer "Drive Image" to Ghost, but either of these, or Acronis True Image, will work.] Grumps wrote: > I'm trying to work out the easiest way to do this...I've got... > a laptop hard drive on its last legs, a new laptop hard drive and an > external USB drive. The best I can think of is get Ghost 10.0 and... > 1. ghost current hard drive to external USB drive > 2. put in new hard drive > 3. boot with Recovery ...

Web resources about - Having hard time retrieving Laptop hard drive data - comp.sys.laptops

Mother of three killed landlord after he tried to stop her retrieving her son's shirt
A mother of three has been found guilty of killing her landlord after he tried to stop her retrieving a red polo shirt her son needed for school ...

Retrieving bodies a 'horrifying' experience (01:43)
Anti-jump measures on the Story Bridge should be "fast tracked" and water police funding increased so CityCats don't have to pick up bodies. ...

Man drowns retrieving toy boat
A man has drowned after entering the Wimmera River at Horsham to retrieve a remote-controlled boat.

Bishop says there is no time limit on retrieving MH17 remains
THE Australian Federal Police have warned that it is too dangerous to approach the MH17 crash site in war-torn eastern Ukraine until security ...

Search underway for man swept away in Brisbane River while retrieving toy boat
A search is underway for a man swept away in the Brisbane River while retrieving a toy boat.

DPRK blames US for suspension of retrieving American soldiers' remains
DPRK blames US for suspension of retrieving American soldiers' remains People's Daily Online PYONGYANG, Oct. 13 The Democratic People's Republic ...

Father killed retrieving Christmas gifts from broken-down car
Richard Perrin, 57, was struck and killed by another driver early Saturday along Hwy 170 in Roanoke.

Yankee retrieving a big Canada
Yankee retrieving a big Canada

iPhone dev: Retrieving user phone numbers
... a secret to recovering user phone numbers that does not involve the … One of the most common questions I get these days has to do with retrieving ...

Girl stuck in Dover storm drain retrieving phone
A teenage girl gets stuck in a storm drain in Dover while trying to retrieve her mobile phone which had fallen into it.