How do you install a memory stick in an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop?

How do you install a memory stick in an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop?

How do you open up the case, assuming this must be done, where does
the stick go, is there anything special about how it is installed as
compared to a desktop or tower machine, any special things to be aware
of or precautions to take?
0
geercon (7)

 Whereas On 3 Oct 2003 07:27:46 -0700, geercon@alltel.net (David)
scribbled:
, I thus relpy:
>How do you install a memory stick in an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop?
>
>How do you open up the case, assuming this must be done, where does
>the stick go, is there anything special about how it is installed as
>compared to a desktop or tower machine, any special things to be aware
>of or precautions to take?

If it is made to be installed in your specific model of computer,
there should be instructions.
--
Gary J. Tait .  Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat
0
"David" <geercon@alltel.net> wrote in message
> How do you install a memory stick in an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop?
>
> How do you open up the case, assuming this must be done, where does
> the stick go, is there anything special about how it is installed as
> compared to a desktop or tower machine, any special things to be aware
> of or precautions to take?

A visit to IBM may turn up a movie to watch showing you exactly how to do
it.

Al...

0
Al
10/3/2003 8:11:11 PM
Here's the movie!

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-45964

0
bdkotz (1)

New laptops w/pointing stick, only IBM Thinkpads?
Followup to the last, are Thinkpads the only current laptops with pointing sticks now? I know some old Compaq/HP's had them, but I don't think the current models do. Plus, I've heard bad reliability about them since the merger (shocker). see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid wrote: > > Followup to the last, are Thinkpads the only current laptops with pointing > sticks now? I know some old Compaq/HP's had them, but I don't think the > current models do. Plus, I've heard bad reliability about them since the > merger (shocker). Follow up to the last what? As far pointing sticks go, Dell's got 'em. Notan see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid <see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote: > Followup to the last, are Thinkpads the only current laptops with pointing > sticks now? I know some old Compaq/HP's had them, but I don't think the > current models do. Plus, I've heard bad reliability about them since the > merger (shocker). Most of the Dell Latitudes have both a touchpad and a stick. Seems like it would be early for Thinkpad quality to slip, though. Certainly the T42 was more solidly built than the Dell Latitude 610. -- Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA Warren Block wrote: > see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid <see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote: > > Followup to the last, are Thinkpads the only current laptops with pointing > > stick...

Install OS on laptop from another laptop?
I have an IBM 560Z laptop which has no built-in CD and whose USB port I just can't make work. It has W98SE on it at the moment, but it's pretty well useless if I can't get data in and out. I was wondering if I could install a Linux distro on it from my XP laptop - maybe via a serial connection? Is it possible? If so, does it need a special (null?) cable? I want to try this to see if Linux can make the USB port work - W98 "sees" it but won't recognise data on devices (pen drive, floppy) attached to it. Sorry to appear dim, but it's the first machine I've owned without a CD drive, so I'm a bit lost... Thanks for any advice or suggestions. DAH. DAH wrote: > I have an IBM 560Z laptop which has no built-in CD and whose USB port > I just can't make work. It has W98SE on it at the moment, but it's > pretty well useless if I can't get data in and out. > I was wondering if I could install a Linux distro on it from my XP > laptop - maybe via a serial connection? Is it possible? If so, does it > need a special (null?) cable? > I want to try this to see if Linux can make the USB port work - W98 > "sees" it but won't recognise data on devices (pen drive, floppy) > attached to it. > Sorry to appear dim, but it's the first machine I've owned without a > CD drive, so I'm a bit lost... > Thanks for any advice or suggestions. > DAH. There are a bunch of issues here. You do rea...

Laptop power on Delta Flight
Hi, i will be travelling internationally and just wanted to find out which adapter would be compatible with the airline power system. I will be taking a Delta flight Boeing 777-200. As per seatguru.com all seats do have inseat power but can't seem to find out for certain which adapter would be compatible. Delta uses the Empower system. I am looking at a couple of targus adapters however am not sure if I should get the 75W or the 90W. Is there a difference on the plane? Would the 90W adapter work if the Delta power system is only 75W? thx <netkid12@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1162851896.492010.281670@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, i will be travelling internationally and just wanted to find out > which adapter would be compatible with the airline power system. I will > be taking a Delta flight Boeing 777-200. As per seatguru.com all seats > do have inseat power but can't seem to find out for certain which > adapter would be compatible. Delta uses the Empower system. I am > looking at a couple of targus adapters however am not sure if I should > get the 75W or the 90W. Is there a difference on the plane? Would the > 90W adapter work if the Delta power system is only 75W? thx If the adapter fits then it wouldn't matter. Watts is the result of the voltage available and the current that your laptop draws. The power rating is a max, not necessarily what it will draw. You will only draw the power that you need. So ge...

How to install one laptops harddrive into another laptop?
Greetings, I have a toshiba laptop that has a travelstar 40 gb drive with win xp on it that I want to install into a dell 600m that now has a 10 gb travelstar drive in. My toshiba broke so I want to put that drive into my 600m that is running windows 2000. I thought I could just switch them out but when I put the 40 gb into the dell it doesn't recognize there being a drive in it. Do I need to flash the bios or something so it will recognize that drive. Or reformat it with the dell operating system. I've never done this before and I really would like to learn how to make the switch...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

Ibm 365XD Laptop Memory
I have an IBM 365XD laptop that has given good service, while going round the world at least 3 times. Now it has developed a problem in the ram. The self test mechanism on startup, shows a fault in the memory, and sometimes not, when it will then load the OS Okay. It may only be the memory chip needing pulling out and replacing, with all the damp and vibration this kit has experienced. However, I can't locate the memory chips. It states there is 40MB of ram on board, but I can't find it even to replace it. IBM are totally unhelpful with respect to info, even though they no longer support this model.(A good reson to think twice about going in that direction again). Can anyone help? Even if I replace the laptop, I still need to access and transfer my data first. Mike P Hi Mike, > I have an IBM 365XD laptop that has given good service, while going > round the world at least 3 times. Now it has developed a problem in > the ram. The self test mechanism on startup, shows a fault in the > memory, and sometimes not, when it will then load the OS Okay. It may > only be the memory chip needing pulling out and replacing, with all > the damp and vibration this kit has experienced. However, I can't > locate the memory chips. It states there is 40MB of ram on board, but > I can't find it even to replace it. IBM are totally unhelpful with > respect to info, even though they no longer support this model.(A good > reson...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

What to use for laptop laptopping?
My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of plywood I'm using now? Peabody wrote: > My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, > so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that > everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece > of plywood I'm using now? Something like this? http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ -- Notan Notan wrote: > Peabody wrote: >> My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so >> I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that >> everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of >> plywood I'm using now? > > Something like this? > > http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ Here's another: http://www.laptopdesk.net/laptopdesk2f.html -- Notan Notan wrote: > Notan wrote: >> Peabody wrote: >>> My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, >>> so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that >>> everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece >>> of plywood I'm using now? >> >> Something like this? >> >> http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ > >...

laptop to laptop copy???
What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one laptop to another laptop?? I think it use to be "laplink" very expensive avenue!!! Or Bobs copier! Is there a cheaper way to do it. Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ???? Joe ********************************************************** * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM* * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) * * Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR * ********************************************************** Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> writes: > What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one > laptop to another laptop?? I think it use to be "laplink" very > expensive avenue!!! Or Bobs copier! Is there a cheaper way > to do it. Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop > such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as > a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ???? Normally these days you'd use ethernet for something like that. Copying that much data through a serial port would take forever. On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:12:55 -1000, Joseph Fenn wrote: > What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one > laptop to another laptop?? I think it use to be "laplink" very > expensive avenue!!! Or Bobs...

I found a good site of IBM thinkpad batteries.Just look it, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk
Hi,everyone, I bought a battery of ibm thindpad r31 from a online store, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk .It is a preffesional online store for ibm thinkpad.All of the batteries not only have cheap price and excellent quality,but also have 1 year warranty and quickly deliver.f you are looking for replacement IBM laptop batteries,such as IBM laptop battery thinkpad 600,IBM thinkpad 600e,IBM R31,IBM R32,IBM T20,IBM T22,IBM T23,IBM R40 and so on,please go there,they are your resonable choice. Best regards, Roy ...

What is exactly refurbished laptop compare to regular dell/IBM laptop?
What is refurbished laptop exacrly?. Howcom it is cheap compare to thers?. I am looking for cheap laptop, which is good one?. Also I need the some standard configuration?. I need it for power point and web use for internet/e-mail. Thanks in advance. Santa wrote: > What is refurbished laptop exacrly?. Howcom it is cheap compare to > thers?. I am looking for cheap laptop, which is good one?. Also I > need the some standard configuration?. I need it for power point and > web use for internet/e-mail. Thanks in advance. Refurbished can mean several things: the notebook was simply returned, it was returned with a failed component, it was returned with a visual defect. In any event, the notebook is fixed if necessary and placed back in stock as refurbished - it performs as if new. In many countries, consumer goods returned to the vendor cannot be sold as "new" even if there are no defects since vendors have been known to claim that repaired goods were new. Many people purchase nothing but refurbished goods, figuring that if the goods are going to fail, they will fail within the return period - typical of electronic devices like computers. The goods are heavily discounted since they cannot be sold as "new" and people normally want "new" rather than "as good as new". Q What he (quaoar@tenthplanet.net) said -- but note that the warranty on a refurb. may be shorter than on a new one. MB On 11/08/04 02:19 pm S...

Why does Memory Stick crash Sony laptop?
I have an almost new Sony laptop with a built-in Memory Stick drive. I have a coupla SanDisk memory sticks that intermittently crash the Sony as soon as I put them in. Something looking like a blue screen of death flashes on for a second then laptop reboots, saying it's recovered from a serious error. Other times, I can put the stick in and it works perfectly. Any insights as to what's wrong? I'm suspecting it might be the memory stick drive because the memory sticks don't crash other Sonys I've inserted them into. This started after I got a "format error" on one of my sticks and inserted it in the laptop but it now crashes sometimes with new sticks. Is there software or firmware for the drive I can reinstall? Thanks for any suggestions. Check the Sony website for a BIOS or driver update regarding this. If nothing is listed let us know.. What model Laptop is this? "ikenfixit" <ken@ikenfixit-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:41f0afcc$1_5@alt.athenanews.com... > Check the Sony website for a BIOS or driver update regarding this. If > nothing is listed let us know.. What model Laptop is this? It's a Vaio VGN-T150P, the new 3 lb laptop. I found a driver for the memory stick drive on the Sony site and installed it but nothing changed. But after doing some additional reading, seems it may be my Iomega external HD backup program that's the culprit. I uninstalled the software and it h...

Old IBM Thinkpad Laptop Base
Hello I am posting this message for a friend. He has a old IBM laptop which works okay but I cannot seem to find any drivers for the USB port on the base that you can connect the laptop to. The model numbers I am unsure of, I looked and could not find any. Help needed. Thank you. Uzytkownik <cytrex@gmail.com> napisal w wiadomosci news:1110512190.361936.285470@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > Hello I am posting this message for a friend. He has a old IBM laptop > which works okay but I cannot seem to find any drivers for the USB port > on the base that you can connect the laptop to. The model numbers I am > unsure of, I looked and could not find any. Help needed. Thank you. 1). First check is taht REAL usb (I'll have seen one with socket like USB but without "gold straps - on it" ...somth. like FAKE-USB :) ) 2). If it has "gold straps" , then it is electrically connected , find what chipset do ytou have in this laptop (Ibx440/zx440 etc.) , connect to Intel webpage and there (i hope that you have intels chipset) find "aplication for all" , somthing like multiuse aplic. that has drivers for this chipset. 3). Check if it is turned on in BIOS. cytrex@gmail.com wrote: > > Hello I am posting this message for a friend. He has a old IBM laptop > which works okay but I cannot seem to find any drivers for the USB port > on the base that you can connect the laptop to. The model numbers I am > unsure of, I look...

Adding memory to IBM A20M Laptop
I have an IBM A20M laptop that is theoretically capable of using 512MB. I have he correct 256MB chips, but when I put them both in the computer it won't boot, presumably because there is a conflict with the 64MB onboard memory. The laptop boots fine when I put in only one 256MB memory card, (system resources are reported at 320 MB) Is there a way to disable the onboard 64MB so I can put the other 256MB chip in? Thanks Have you tried looking in your bios setup? Regards, Jeff "Chuck Daniels" <nyresource@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:64906530.0408160218.3e52bca6@post...

Replacing IBM Thinkpad Laptop Screen
Can anyone comment either from practical experience or speculation on the difficulty of a self-repair/replacement of a IBM Thinkpad screen? Just at a glance and from looking at pictures of replacement screen units, the process doesn't look much more complicated than changing a set of spark plugs (well, maybe a little more difficult). Looks to be just releasing the hinge assembly connector screws and then some cables disconnects/reconnects and finis! Assuming you're smart enough to acquire the correct replacement part, is it really much more difficult than that? Other ins...

Raw reading of memory stick in Vaio laptop
I have written Windows software to read memory sticks of all kinds via a USB reader (www.cnwrecovery.com). This is using IOCTL commands. I am trying to do the same with a Sony Vaio laptop that has a built in Memory Stick reader. I can see the stick as Drive E:. I can open a handle using CreateFile. I can also get valid drive parameters using IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY. Then things stop working. Commands such as Inquiry, and Read do not return error messages, but do not fill in any data either. (With USB interface they all work). Can anyone guide me as to where I may find do...

IBM Laptop R40 USB2.0 driver
Hi, I know where to get the IBM R40 drivers which is here: http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46024 but I couldn't see any driver for USB2.0 for XP. Some of my USB devices are not working because they need to use USB2.0. Anyone know where to get the driver? Thanks, On Jan 25, 1:21 am, WongMing...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I know where to get the IBM R40 drivers which is here: > > http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46024 > > but I couldn't see any driver for USB2.0 for XP. Some of my USB devices > are not working because they need to use USB2.0. Anyone know where to > get the driver? > > Thanks You need Service Pack 2, for usb2 support. Also, install the chipset driver. http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-46058.html ...

FA: LOADED IBM ThinkPad Laptop System
Must sell to pay medical bills: IBM T-20 ThinkPad System. Includes a TON of accessories. Full business class set-up that includes: DVD / CDRW / Docking Port / USB Floppy Drive / NEW 40Gb Hard drive / & MUCH MORE!! Check it out here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3458291179 Thanks for looking and good bidding! Best Regards, Roger :-) ...

Laptop for sale!--IBM Thinkpad T40 notebook!!!
General Model Name: 237314U Description: ThinkPad T40 IBM List Price $1,849.00 Display Screen type description: TFT Viewable image size (diagonal): 14.1inches Screen illumination: Backlit Graphics Subsystem Video RAM std/max: 32MB / 32MB Graphics chipset: ATI Mobility RADEON 7500 Graphics type: XGA Video RAM type: DDR SDRAM Max resolution (with max video RAM): 2048x1536 16777216 colors Max colors (with max video RAM): 16777216 Graphics bus interface: AGP 4X Processor BIOS type: Flash ROM Processor manufacturer: Intel Processor (CPU): Intel Pentium M Processor Processor internal clock speed2: 1.30GHz Front Side Bus: 400MHz Memory Memory (RAM) std/max: 256MB / 2GB RAM slots total: 2 SODIMM RAM slots available: 1 SODIMM RAM speed supported: 266MHz RAM type: PC2100 DDR SDRAM Hard Disk Hard disk size1: 30GB Hard disk type: ATA-100 (Enhanced IDE) Optical device: DVD-CDRW combo Communications Fax/modem: 56K V.92 designed modem Fax/modem speeds: 56Kbps data/14.4Kbps fax Infrared port: Yes Infrared port speed: 4Mbps Wireless standard: Wi-Fi wireless upgradable Network card: 10/100 Ethernet Network interface: Ethernet-Integrated Power Management 5 Heat emissions: 72W Sound emissions: 36dB Battery life - min/max: 5.5 Hrs Battery type(s): 6 Cell Lithium-Ion Charge time - on/off: 4Hrs / 3.6Hrs Weight & Dimensions 6 Weight: 4.9lbs Height: 1in Depth: 10in Travel weight: 4.5lbs Limited warranty 3 Type of service: Customer Carry-in Repair or ThinkPad EasyServ Warranty period: T...

For Sale: IBM Thinkpad 390e Laptop Notebook Computer
Visit my ebay auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=230071654536 IBM Thinkpad 390e for sale $150 ...

$99 ibm thinkpad T22 laptop on Ebay, ends today
$99 ibm thinkpad T22 laptop on Ebay, ends today http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260018209417&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1 ...

Opinions sought on older laptop: IBM Thinkpad a20p/a22p?
I'm thinking of getting a used IBM a22p (or a21p, or a20p). These are the ones with the high res 15" screens, pentium 3 processor. I can't get my hands on one to actually see the screen in action, although I've used IBM 600 series so I have a little knowledge of how thinkpads are. Can anyone with experience recommend this laptop, or give their impressions on it, especially the screen/video? My use for the laptop is general but I really like a good display. I am also considering the t20-t23 series. <ignoramus@ignorant.igg> writes: > I'm thinking of getting a used IBM a22p (or a21p, or a20p). These > are the ones with the high res 15" screens, pentium 3 processor. I've been very happy with my a20p, although the bezel is falling apart. I'm using an A22p right now and I love it. The screen is OK. It's pretty much like any other 15" UXGA screen. Text can be hard to read at that res or look bad if you make it bigger than it really should be. That's just a fact of life with any hi-res screen, though. <ignoramus@ignorant.igg> wrote in message news:<xL68d.317599$Fg5.62887@attbi_s53>... > I'm thinking of getting a used IBM a22p (or a21p, or a20p). These are the ones with the high res 15" screens, pentium 3 processor. > > I can't get my hands on one to actually see the screen in action, although I've used IBM 600 series so I have a little knowledge of how thinkpads are. > > ...

Laptop-to-laptop Ethernet connection
Sometimes I take train with my spouse. I have a Linux laptop and a Sierra 597E "wireless broadband" card. This card works great with Linux, its maker Sierra contributes to the Linux kernel, and I basically have a well working internet while on train. The question concerns the second laptop -- my wife's. What I would like is to connect it to my laptop via Ethernet, and have her laptop use my laptop as a "gateway". My question is, can I directly connect them. I think that some pairs in Ethernet cable are somehow twisted, making a direct connection from computer to co...

IBM Laptop
I have an IBM R32 laptop and I think it may have experienced a power surge. Anyway when I put the battery in all it does is continously click (no lights no nothing just a click. When I pull the battery out and try and use the power adapter I get nothing. My question is threefold. 1) Any ideas what that click/spinning could be? 2) If I did experience a powersurge what part(s) would I most likely need to replace? 3) If I replace the system board would the fix the problem and are there any tests that I would be able to run to see what the problem might be? Electrical tests or any other tests. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Ryan ...

Web resources about - How do you install a memory stick in an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop? - comp.sys.laptops

ThinkPad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ThinkPad is a line of laptop computers and tablets by Lenovo . The series was originally designed, developed, and sold by IBM until Lenovo acquired ...

ThinkPad Tablet Forum
ThinkPad Tablet Forum

Hero on ThinkPad - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
My new mobile phone: HTC Hero.

Lenovo Unboxed: ThinkPad X220t tablet - YouTube
We unbox the Lenovo ThinkPad X220t convertible tablet. Go up to 18 hours unplugged with our slice battery. Choose from among touch, pen or traditional ...

Lenovo unveils Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2
Lenovo unveils Windows 8 ThinkPad Tablet 2

Lenovo toasts ThinkPad at 20 with new laptop, tablet
... unveiling of two new works - from Chinese PC maker Lenovo Group Ltd. Chinese PC maker Lenovo Group Ltd marked the 20th anniversary of the ThinkPad ...

大气沉稳商务本 ThinkPad X230i正热卖_ThinkPad笔记本电脑_笔记本行情-中关村在线
ThinkpadX230i笔记本一直以来都是商务本里的畅销机型,目前这款全新设计的产品正在亚马逊商城促销,最新价格为4599元,这个价格不算贵建议近期有购机计划的朋友关注一下亚马逊商城。亚马逊商城ThinkPadX230i促销Thin。

精中求变 ThinkPad T440简评_网易数码
精中求变 ThinkPad T440简评

Lenovo’s laptops are looking less like Thinkpads and more like MacBook Pros
. This is the new Lenovo IdeaPad U310 (and U410) as it appears in the FCC database . I always wonder if, in the design meetings at Lenovo, they ...

Sure, ThinkPads Sell Well, But What About Brand Lenovo?
He's dropped laptops from planes and sent school science projects into space, but can Lenovo CMO David Roman make the world's No. 2 computer ...