How to connect a notebook dvd drive to a desktop pc?

Hi everyone.

I'd like to connect a Compaq GDR-8081N notebook dvd drive to my
desktop pc via the usual ide bus. I just don't know how :-)

The connector on the back of the dvd drive looks a little like this
(looking at the back of the drive).
  __________________________________
 /                                  \
| ---------------------------------  |
 \__________________________________/

It's a male connector jutting out of the case. The bar in the middle
has 34 connection point on top and 34 on the bottom.

All I found were adaptors from 44 pins to 40 pins for AT-Bus HDDs. And
I fear that they won't fit.

Does anyone know the name (or maybe even the specification) of this
connector and if there is an adaptor to EIDE?

Thanks!

Alex
0
TheXX (2)

Why not just buy a dvd drive that you can get as low as $29.95?Don't you
think that would be much better in the long run?

"Alexander Federlin" <TheXX@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'd like to connect a Compaq GDR-8081N notebook dvd drive to my
> desktop pc via the usual ide bus. I just don't know how :-)
>
> The connector on the back of the dvd drive looks a little like this
> (looking at the back of the drive).
>   __________________________________
>  /                                  \
> | ---------------------------------  |
>  \__________________________________/
>
> It's a male connector jutting out of the case. The bar in the middle
> has 34 connection point on top and 34 on the bottom.
>
> All I found were adaptors from 44 pins to 40 pins for AT-Bus HDDs. And
> I fear that they won't fit.
>
> Does anyone know the name (or maybe even the specification) of this
> connector and if there is an adaptor to EIDE?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Alex

0
n1rsp (20)
11/27/2003 2:43:33 PM
"Alexander Federlin" <TheXX@gmx.de> wrote in message
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'd like to connect a Compaq GDR-8081N notebook dvd drive to my
> desktop pc via the usual ide bus. I just don't know how :-)
>
> The connector on the back of the dvd drive looks a little like this
> (looking at the back of the drive).
>   __________________________________
>  /                                  \
> | ---------------------------------  |
>  \__________________________________/
>
> It's a male connector jutting out of the case. The bar in the middle
> has 34 connection point on top and 34 on the bottom.
>
> All I found were adaptors from 44 pins to 40 pins for AT-Bus HDDs. And
> I fear that they won't fit.
>
> Does anyone know the name (or maybe even the specification) of this
> connector and if there is an adaptor to EIDE?

Behind that connector is a lead that connects to the 44 pins on the
drive,you need to take the outer casing off the drive to access it and
connect a 44 to 40 pin IDE adaptor to the drive.

ejb

0
eric7234 (6)
11/27/2003 8:11:56 PM
Hi Eric!

Thanks a lot for your hint! I unscrewed the back of the drive and
found another connector behind the one you could see. It's a connector
with 50 Pins, but I was able to find adaptors for that e.g. here:
http://www.baber.com/baber/products/slimline_cd_adapter.htm

Thanks for your help!!

Alex

> ...snip...
> Behind that connector is a lead that connects to the 44 pins on the
> drive,you need to take the outer casing off the drive to access it and
> connect a 44 to 40 pin IDE adaptor to the drive.
>
> ejb
0
TheXX (2)

Why laptop drive seeks when in external USB case connected to desktop PC
One more question: I had to remove a Seagate SATA 2.5" drive from HP laptop and use in external USB case on a desktop (to repair XP on the laptop). Everything went fine, BUT : "When the desktop box is turned off why does the laptop drive 'thrash' the heads?" I can hear the drive seeking the heads - sounds like all the way in/out - repeatedly. Was I doing harm ? I unplugged the USB cable, put back in laptop and it did work fine, but wondering what was happening. ( The USB case did NOT have a power switch - just a usb connector to PC.) In news:afKdneOgHemSzFDanZ2dnUVZ_vOlnZ2d@comcast.com, - Bobb - typed on Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:39:31 -0500: > One more question: > > I had to remove a Seagate SATA 2.5" drive from HP laptop and use in > external USB case on a desktop (to repair XP on the laptop). > Everything went fine, BUT : > "When the desktop box is turned off why does the laptop drive 'thrash' > the heads?" I can hear the drive seeking the heads - sounds like all > the way in/out - repeatedly. Was I doing harm ? I unplugged the USB > cable, put back in laptop and it did work fine, but wondering what > was happening. ( The USB case did NOT have a power switch - just a > usb connector to PC.) That is weird Bobb. :-o -- Bill ...

Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?
Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ? A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ? David D. <dadu@spamme.fr> wrote > Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ? Few are. > A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ? Presumably someone is getting rid of DVD readers that are pretty useless now with DVD writers so cheap now. David D. wrote: > > Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ? > > A DVD writer is also able to read DVD di...

connect desktop hard drive to laptop ??
Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a laptop ? If yes, how can we do it? Thanks, Anirudh Anirudh Saria wrote: > Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a laptop > ? > If yes, how can we do it? > > Thanks, > Anirudh > > > > > They have the same pinout except for the smaller physical size of the connector and the power going thru the cable. You'd need an adapter cable and a power supply for the disk. I'd STRONGLY recommend AGAINST trying this. External USB drive is much safer and more useful. mike -- Return address is VALID. Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below. Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment Honda CB-125S $800 in PDX TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564 Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser Tektronix Concept Books, spot welding head... http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/ The most practical way is using a Local Area Network to connect the computers. Phil mike wrote: > Anirudh Saria wrote: > >> Is it possible to connect our normal internal desktop hard drive to a >> laptop >> ? >> If yes, how can we do it? >> >> Thanks, >> Anirudh >> >> >> >> >> > > They have the same pinout except for the smaller physical size > of the connector and the power going thru the cable. > You'd need an adapter cable and a power ...

connecting desktop DVD-RW to laptop
Hi, I have a latest desktop DVD+-RW (IDE) and I was curious if it is possible to temproray connect it to my laptop through some cable/adapter through the unused CD slot. I know that the standard for CD/HDD is the same for Laptops and Desktops but the connectors are different ... Thanks, George ...

Mount Slim (Laptop) CD/DVD drives in Desktop
Does anyone know of mounting frames that will allow two slim (laptop style) Cd/DVD drives to mount in a 5 1/4 drive bay on a desktop system. I've run out of mounting spaces for drives on my media PC and am thinking about using slim (laptop) devices to recover some space. Are you referring to something like this: http://www.interloper.com/products/product-details.php?productid=53700000&cat=53&mfgn=&page=&sec=&od=&search_str=bsearch or do you mean an actual rail or bed type of thing that the drive would mount to and then that rail/bed would mount in the drive bay? I would say that a standard bed type mount could be modified by drilling your own holes for the screws if that is what you are looking for. Cheers, Lawrence I've seen the connector adapters but I'm looking for physical mounts to allow one or two slim drives to mount in a 5 1/4" drive bay in place of a single DVD drive. Strange that someone makes a connector adapter for a standard desktop IDE connector but there is no physical mount available. On 15 Feb 2006 16:20:52 -0800, "John" <ClipperMiami@gmail.com> wrote: >I've seen the connector adapters but I'm looking for physical mounts to >allow one or two slim drives to mount in a 5 1/4" drive bay in place of >a single DVD drive. Strange that someone makes a connector adapter for >a standard desktop IDE connector but there is no physical mount >available. I have seen them, but...

Using Toshiba Laptop Drive in Desktop
I'm trying to get some data off a 2.5" laptop drive from a failed Toshiba notebook onto my desktop. The 2.5" is a non-SATA IDE. I purchased a 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor kit that included a connector that supposedly adapt a normal IDE & molex to my 2.5" drive. But, the Toshiba drive connector does not match the adapter. It has inset pins and looks like it needs something like a "board type" connector to plug in - it's more of a female connector - the adaptor looks to be expecting a set of male pins off the back of the 2.5" drive. Is the...

2.5" Laptop SATA drive in Desktop PC?
I want to clone my 2.5" Dell E1505 Laptop SATA drive to a larger drive. Since the laptop has only one drive connection, can I put the two 2.5" drives in a desktop computer and do the cloning there? That is, are the SATA data/power cables the same and are 2.5" laptop drives compatible with a desktop? On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:49:43 -0000, gus <gus_zernial@yahoo.com> wrote: :>I want to clone my 2.5" Dell E1505 Laptop SATA drive to a larger :>drive. Since :>the laptop has only one drive connection, can I put the two 2.5" :>drives in a desktop :>computer and do the cloning there? That is, are the SATA data/power :>cables :>the same and are 2.5" laptop drives compatible with a desktop? Yep, SATA laptop drives use the same connectors for both power and data as SATA desktop drives. At least every one I've ever seen does. Had to CYA there. :-) me/2 "gus" <gus_zernial@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1184021383.722687.262470@g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com... >I want to clone my 2.5" Dell E1505 Laptop SATA drive to a larger > drive. Since > the laptop has only one drive connection, can I put the two 2.5" > drives in a desktop > computer and do the cloning there? That is, are the SATA data/power > cables > the same and are 2.5" laptop drives compatible with a desktop? > Alternatively, there are USB to SATA adaptors as well as Cardbus (PCMCIA) to SATA cards. On Jul...

DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's
Hi, I have 2 laptops, one relatively old (Celeron 800 based) and another relatively new (P4 2.6 based). Both seem to have problems accessing DVD+RW disks. They'll work fine for a bit then die horribly. Under Windows, I get serious video stutter playing dvd movies from DVD+RW's, under Linux xine will pop up an error saying it can no longer read a disk. Large file copies die horribly too. The same disks work fine on my PC's DVD writer. The problem occurs on disks written with both my writer, and a friend's writer. I am at a complete loss now and this is incredibly i...

ReDPCs.com $949 Notebook 15.4" WideScreen 3.4GHz Laptop PC 512MB 60GB RaDeoN9700pro IEEE1394 USBv2 CDRW DVD
FREE Global Shipping! (Ships Next Business Day. All Parts come with Manufacturer Warranty up to 1YR!) You can fax or email your order, but you must use our shopping cart to make payment online. ePaC=99 NoteBook Computer LapTop $949 Portable Powerhouse. 15.4" WideScreen Active-Matrix TFT WXGA Flat-Panel Monitor AMD 3.4GHz Intelligent Processor IV Inside ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ----- Advanced Micro Devices 1.2MB Memory On-Chip HyperTransport Technology System Bus Mainboard 512MB Samsung PC3200 DDR SDRAM System Memory Hitachi TravelStar 60GB 5400RPM Hard Disk Drive ATi RaDeoN 9700 Pro 450MHz DDR 64MB VRAM MultiVertex/PixelShaders2.0 450MHz GPU DirectX9 Graphics Card (The Most Advanced 3D Accelerator Technology available for the first time in Mobile Form!) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ----- AGP8X Graphics Bus Via SoundSolution EAX2 48kHz Audio A3D Stereo Sound w/ Dual SubWoofers Pioneer 24X CD-R *and* 10X CD-RW Burner *and* 16X DVD Optical Compact Disc Ultra-Speed Combo-Drive TV-out SVHS S-Video ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ----- VGA-out ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ----- FireWire i.LinK1394 Port ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= ----- 4-ports High-Speed USB2.0 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------=...

connecting laptop pc to corportate lan and hotel internet connection
hi, i travel with work and often use the internet connection in a hotel for work. we've been instructed NOT to connect our laptop computers to customer corporate LANs since it messes up the network configuration on our PC (to do with network topologies). Needless to say its not something I'd do for this and a number of other reasons. I'm curious to understand, however, the difference between both types of connections, namely: - what protocols are found on each (dns etc...) - what happens on each network connection when you login to windows xp - is it possible to attach a pc from on...

can I use desktop hard drive as external laptop drive?
Hi. My mom gave me her old compaq presario 1200 because my desktop motherboard burnt out and I couldn't afford to fix it. The hard drive in my laptop is very small, and all of my old files are still on the hard drive from my desktop, which still is in good condition. Is there a way to connect the old hard drive (it's an internal drive)to my laptop? thanks, Kristie yes, get an external drive box for about $40, they make in USB or FWire connection, or both. I did it, works great. -- Dennis Savatski "Kristie" <kjd183@psu.edu> wrote in message news:8c9b4541.0401221503...

connecting laptop pc to corportate lan and hotel internet connection
hi, i travel with work and often use the internet connection in a hotel for work. we've been instructed NOT to connect our laptop computers to customer corporate LANs since it messes up the network configuration on our PC (to do with network topologies). Needless to say its not something I'd do for this and a number of other reasons. I'm curious to understand, however, the difference between both types of connections, namely: - what protocols are found on each (dns etc...) - what happens on each network connection when you login to windows xp - is it possible to attach a pc from on...

Notebook, Laptop Repair Company London, PC Computer Repair, Laptop
Notebook, Laptop Repair Company London, PC Computer Repair, Laptop Repairing Service London With Creative IT, you can take advantage of onsite and offsite notebook / laptop repair services. Creative IT offers an onsite laptop and notebook repair service based on a two-hour response time in and around London. We repair all brand names of laptops and notebooks. If the repair cannot be carried out onsite, we will take laptop to our workshop in Central London and return it in perfect working condition within the 24 to 48 hours. London laptop and notebook repairs are our specialty. http://www.p6mm.cn ...

Remote Desktop Connection
I've set up Remote Desktop Connection on the lone Windows XP Professional (SP2) computer in my office and can access the PC from all of my Mac OS X (10.4.8) computers through RDC when I'm in my office, on the LAN (gigabit ethernet). However, when I leave the office and establish a VPN connection to the OS X server in my office, I can't make a RDC connection to the PC. I can connect to my server through the VPN connection just fine, but not the PC. I have broadband service in my office and when I attempt to make the RDC connection remotely. I have a dynamic IP address through my ...

Connecting my Desktop to laptop
I currently have a wireless router at home which I use/connect to my desktop as well as wirelessly to my laptop. Is there a way to connect the desktop and laptop so that I can transfer files between them wirelessly? Thanks... On 24 Jun 2005 23:05:02 -0700, "need4greed" <Raymond13@gmail.com> wrote: >I currently have a wireless router at home which I use/connect to my >desktop as well as wirelessly to my laptop. Is there a way to connect >the desktop and laptop so that I can transfer files between them >wirelessly? They are both on the LAN, the...

Connecting laptop to desktop
This is hopefully a very basic question. I recently purchased a laptop and would like to hook it to my desktop to share/transfer large files. I connect the laptop to my office LAN and use the desktop for internet access from home via modem. The laptop is WinXP Pro and the desktop is Win2000 Pro. I'd like to hook them together with USB if possible. Any advice? Ron "a" <a@email.com> wrote in message news:7a9pd.968971$Gx4.931779@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > This is hopefully a very basic question. > > I recently purchased a laptop and would like ...

FT: 6.4gb desktop hard drives....I need laptop hard drives
I have at least 50 6.4gb hard drives(these go in your desktop or tower, most are western digital and some are maxtor). I'd like to trade some or all of these for 4gb or 5gb laptop hard drives, the laptop drives must fit into an ibm thinkpad 600. to email me go here: http://www.geocities.com/pauldbz/ ...

connecting a pc to laptop
hello, is there any way to connect my cpu, keyboard and mouse to my laptop using the kvm switch? recently my montior got broken, i do have a spare old laptop. i want to use the laptop screen as my primary monitor to work with my pc... so i want to connect my pc and laptop thru kvm switch, and using laptop as my primary monitor... any help would be appreciated thanks balajitmr@gmail.com wrote: > hello, > is there any way to connect my cpu, keyboard and mouse to my laptop > using the kvm switch? > > recently my montior got broken, i do have a spare old laptop. i want to > use the laptop screen as my primary monitor to work with my pc... > > so i want to connect my pc and laptop thru kvm switch, and using laptop > as my primary monitor... > > any help would be appreciated > > thanks > I don't think so. You can easily use a desktop monitor with a laptop, but I don't think there is a way to use a laptop LCD with a desktop. The problem is the video to the laptop LCD is an internal connector on the main board with a ribbon cable to a connector on the LCD. You would need a video cable that connected your desktop to that little ribbon cable connector on the laptop. jimbo Try MaxiVista http://www.maxivista.com/ This appears to do what you want. Although a secondhand CRT monitor would not be overly expensive. Regards Nick ...

Connecting laptop to desktop
This is hopefully a very basic question. I recently purchased a laptop and would like to hook it to my desktop to share/transfer large files. I connect the laptop to my office LAN and use the desktop for internet access from home via modem. The laptop is WinXP Pro and the desktop is Win2000 Pro. I'd like to hook them together with USB if possible. Any advice? Ron "a" <a@email.com> wrote in message news:7a9pd.968971$Gx4.931779@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > This is hopefully a very basic question. > > I recently purchased a laptop and would like ...

Connecting my PC and Laptop
My PC runs Windows 98 Second Edition and is connected to the router via cable. My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is connected to the rounter via wireless. I have set up a network with the same work group on both computers, but I do not see the laptop on the PC network and vice versa. Can you please tell me how to connect these two computers. Thanks. Iv had this problem as well, I was able to fix it by goin into network connection under the Advanced tab click optional tools and them check them all, this worked for more than once. ...

laptop DVD drive + or -
I bought a laptop with a DVD writer toshiba sd-r6112 but its a + DVD and all my stuff is on - DVDr's so they don't play on it. Whereas normal DVD's work fine. If I get a DVD/CDRW combo drive will all my - DVDr work on it? I don't need a DVD writer for my laptop. ...

laptop dvd drive
Have a friend who has a Dell lattitude, cpxh500gt. Has the interchangeable floppy & cd rom, and he was asking if there is a dvd player that would fit this particular model. Has tried ebay with no luck he says, so thought I would ask here. Thought You guys might know where to point him if there is one. Thanks. G'day Eddie There is a DVD available for that model......I have a CPxH450Gt that is for sale and one of the upgrades was to be a DVD but I chose to get another notebook instead. Anyway, I have a case for a 2nd HDD for the module bay...not sure if the interface is the same, if so your friend might want to buy the DVD and put it into this case? Someone with more knowledge in that area might be able to reply?? I also have other CPxH accessories...so I'll email you direct with info if you are interested? Indicate here so I don't bother you unnecessarily. Bronwyn ;-) Eddie wrote: > Have a friend who has a Dell lattitude, cpxh500gt. Has the interchangeable > floppy & cd rom, and he was asking if there is a dvd player that would fit > this particular model. Has tried ebay with no luck he says, so thought I > would ask here. Thought You guys might know where to point him if there is > one. Thanks. > > Probably. Laptop optical drives (CD, CD-RW, DVD, DVD burners) have some degree of standardization, but it's not total. The biggest issues are mechanical and involve the bezel. Unfortunately, there is no good ...

Laptop DVD drive
I am not sure if this is the proper group for this question so I am sorry if it is not. I have a laptop with a CD/DVD RW drive. It has suddenly stopped playing DVD's. It still reads data and music CD's fine. When I put a DVD in the drive it doesn't do anything. It feels like it is trying to 'spin up' but just quite can't do it. I am not in a location where I can take the laptop to a shop to get it looked at so if any of you have experienced this before and can offer some help I would appreciate it. thanks Eric Try manually starting your DVD software with a disc ...

connecting a pc to a laptop
hello, i have a personal computer running win XP and lap top running win XP i just want to connect the laptop to the pc, to transfer some documents to the laptop. how should I connect them both using ethernet cards, i have an ethernet cable also. I dont' want any internet connection on any one, just want to connect both through a single ethernet wire nothing else, so how should do it? give me some steps... On Jun 17, 5:06 pm, rajesh kalra <rajeshkalr...@gmail.com> wrote: > hello, > i have a personal computer running win XP > and lap top running win XP > i just want to ...

Web resources about - How to connect a notebook dvd drive to a desktop pc? - comp.sys.laptops

Notebook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to legend, Thomas W. Holley of Holyoke, Massachusetts invented the legal pad around the year 1888 when he innovated the idea to collect ...

Springpad Integrates With Facebook, Allows Users To Organize Likes Into Notebooks
... books, music, and restaurants into one handy timeline box following new Facebook integration features launched Thursday by “smart notebook application” ...

Washington Notebook - News and notes from the halls of Congress, by World-Herald Washington bureau chief ...
News and notes from the halls of Congress, by World-Herald Washington bureau chief Joseph Morton

The Notebook (@PSNotebook) on Twitter
Log in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

JotDot Notebook for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get JotDot Notebook on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Orioles notebook: Injured Jimmy Paredes could have chance to play again this spring
It has not been a happy couple of days for Jimmy Paredes , whose attempt to show the Orioles that he can be a viable option in the outfield took ...

Microsoft, Intel: Pac Crest Sees Biggest-Ever Quarterly Notebook PC Drop
Pacific Crest ’s Brent Bracelin , Michael McConnell , and Brendan Barnicle today warns of a “significant” decline in the outlook for the notebook ...

SSuite NoteBook Editor: not just another WordPad replacement
... WordPad replacements then you’ll know they’re usually identikit me-too products with barely any interesting ideas of their own. SSuite NoteBook ...

2016 NFL Draft: Matt Miller's Post-Combine Scouting Notebook
Slow. That's the best way to describe the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine. After months of hype from players, agents, trainers and college football ...

Patriots notebook: Pats weigh free agent options
The Patriots have been looking, but their view has been blocked by Brink’s trucks.