How to get firewire to a laptop

Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
do I do this?

The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

0
wtw (2)
5/19/2006 9:04:01 AM
comp.sys.laptops 18138 articles. 0 followers. brianhubley001 (11) is leader. Post Follow

<wtw@iki.fi> wrote in message
> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
> do I do this?
>
> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

You don't.  A USB port is not up to the job of hosting a firewire port (not
even a USB2 port).  The solution is to change the sound system to a USB
based one, or change the laptop to one that has a Cardbus slot.

0
no.one9739 (1143)
5/19/2006 11:13:27 AM
wtw@iki.fi wrote:
> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
> do I do this?
>
> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

The solution is _not_ to want to use the sound card or use it with
another machine. There is no other solution to this problem.
0
bobrs10001 (21)
5/19/2006 3:52:06 PM
It's hard for me to imagine a laptop that doesn't have a PC Card slot
(the correct terminology for what you called a PCMCIA slot).

If you don't have that (and it has to be "Cardbus ... just any PC Card
slot will not do), you are screwed.  There is no other way to add a
firewire port to a laptop that doesn't have one.

wtw@iki.fi wrote:

> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
> do I do this?
>
> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
5/19/2006 6:02:58 PM
<wtw@iki.fi> wrote in message news:1148029441.789268.82190@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
> do I do this?
>
> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

doesn't have a PCMCIA slot? what kind of laptop is it?
also, what kind of sound card is it?

0
tg44 (21)
> It's hard for me to imagine a laptop that doesn't have a PC Card slot

Some recent Dells have ExpressCard slots only.  Most palmtops and UMPCs have
either a single CF slot (= 16-bit) or no expansion slot at all.

JL

0
jsleung (47)
5/20/2006 12:39:30 PM
tg kirjoitti:
> doesn't have a PCMCIA slot? what kind of laptop is it?
> also, what kind of sound card is it?

It's LG TX Express. Small and lightwight, but doesn't have cardbus. My
soundcard is Edirol FA-101.

I've been cheking out Edirol UA-101, a USB sound card, anyways. This
might be just enough of a nudge to make the change. The FA-101 is good
in sound quality but very lacking in versatility, and has left me in a
bit of a muddle a few times. Might as well dump it, since it seems
suprisingly hard to get a firewire connector.

0
wtw (2)
5/20/2006 1:04:35 PM
Presumably there are (or will be) Firewire cards for Express Card slots.

PC Card (16-bit slot) = notebook equiv. of ISA bus
PC Card (32-bit slot (aka Cardbus) = notebook equiv. of PCI bus
Express Card (new ... physically looks like PC Card slot) = notebook

      equiv. of PCI Express

Johnnie Leung wrote:
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>It's hard for me to imagine a laptop that doesn't have a PC Card slot
>

> Some recent Dells have ExpressCard slots only.  Most palmtops and UMPCs have
> either a single CF slot (= 16-bit) or no expansion slot at all.
>
> JL

0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
5/20/2006 2:59:28 PM
Barry Watzman <Watzman@neo.rr.com> top-posted:
>Presumably there are (or will be) Firewire cards for Express Card slots.
>PC Card (16-bit slot) = notebook equiv. of ISA bus
>PC Card (32-bit slot (aka Cardbus) = notebook equiv. of PCI bus
>Express Card (new ... physically looks like PC Card slot) = notebook
>      equiv. of PCI Express

In fact, Express Card incorporates both USB and PCI Express
interfaces.
0
news2006c (89)
5/20/2006 3:59:31 PM
Barry Watzman wrote:
> It's hard for me to imagine a laptop that doesn't have a PC Card slot
> (the correct terminology for what you called a PCMCIA slot).

Actually, the newer laptops have CardBus slots, the 32 bit version of
the PC Card.

The new Apple notebooks have no CardBus slots, but they do have
Firewire. The lack of a CardBus slot has a lot of Mac users extremely
upset. There are many devices for which there are no ExpressCard cards,
and there are no external USB or Firewire to CardBus adapters.
wtw@iki.fi wrote:
> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
> do I do this?
>
> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

Buy the D-Link 4-Port USB 2.0, 3-Port Firewire, Combo Hub. It plugs into
a USB 2.0 port.

I have no idea how well this works in terms of latency. A USB 2.0 port
should be able to support a Firewire 400 port pretty well.

Apparently this device has been discontinued as of April 2006, but I'm
sure that you could still find one.

That LG machine is very cool. I used to visit the LG notebook factory in
Korea pretty often, and they have some very good machines that they
manufacture but don't sell in the U.S..
"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> wtw@iki.fi wrote:
>
> Buy the D-Link 4-Port USB 2.0, 3-Port Firewire, Combo Hub. It plugs into a
> USB 2.0 port.

Assuming you mean the DFB-H7, it is exactly that--a hub.  The FireWire and
USB portions are separate, meaning you don't magically get a FireWire
connection by just plugging it into a USB host.

JL

0
jsleung (47)
5/21/2006 7:20:14 AM
The term "PC Card" encompasses both 16-bit and 32-bit (Cardbus) PC
Cards.  Virtually every laptop since about 1997 (about Pentium 166MHz)
has had Cardbus slots which are backwards compatible to 16-bit PC cards.

The newer laptops now have "Express Card" slots (the laptop equivalent
of PCI-Express).  These are not backwards compatible; some laptops have
both PC Card slots and Express Card slots, others have Express Card
slots only (which is currently problematic, as there are not all that
many Express cards currently available).

SMS wrote:
> Barry Watzman wrote:
>
>> It's hard for me to imagine a laptop that doesn't have a PC Card slot
>> (the correct terminology for what you called a PCMCIA slot).
>

> Actually, the newer laptops have CardBus slots, the 32 bit version of
> the PC Card.
>
> The new Apple notebooks have no CardBus slots, but they do have
> Firewire. The lack of a CardBus slot has a lot of Mac users extremely
> upset. There are many devices for which there are no ExpressCard cards,
> and there are no external USB or Firewire to CardBus adapters.
0
WatzmanNOSPAM (5711)
5/22/2006 3:00:07 AM
"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> wtw@iki.fi wrote:
>> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
>> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
>> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
>> do I do this?
>>
>> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.
>
> Buy the D-Link 4-Port USB 2.0, 3-Port Firewire, Combo Hub. It plugs into a
> USB 2.0 port.
>
> I have no idea how well this works in terms of latency. A USB 2.0 port
> should be able to support a Firewire 400 port pretty well.

A USB2 port is totally incapable of supporting a Firewire port.  What made
you think that it should? Check the hub carefully.  I doubt that you get
firewire ports if it is connected to a USB port.  I'll bet it is actually a
USB hub *and* a separate Firewire hub in the same box.

> Apparently this device has been discontinued as of April 2006, but I'm
> sure that you could still find one.
>
> That LG machine is very cool. I used to visit the LG notebook factory in
> Korea pretty often, and they have some very good machines that they
> manufacture but don't sell in the U.S..

0
no.one9739 (1143)
5/22/2006 6:44:43 AM
Johnnie Leung wrote:

> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> wtw@iki.fi wrote:
>>
>> Buy the D-Link 4-Port USB 2.0, 3-Port Firewire, Combo Hub. It plugs
>> into a USB 2.0 port.
>
> Assuming you mean the DFB-H7, it is exactly that--a hub.  The FireWire
> and USB portions are separate, meaning you don't magically get a
> FireWire connection by just plugging it into a USB host.

Oops, yes you're correct. If you look at the data sheet at
"ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DFB-H7/DFB-H7_ds.pdf" it shows only
  USB 2.0 connection to the host, but in the fine print it does say that
you need the FireWire connection as well.

Sorry for the mistake.

> Oops, yes you're correct. If you look at the data sheet at
> "ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DFB-H7/DFB-H7_ds.pdf" it shows only
> USB 2.0 connection to the host, but in the fine print it does say that you
> need the FireWire connection as well.

It implies that by saying '2 - 1394 Firewire Downstream Ports... 1 - 1394
Firewire Upstream Port'.  But really, the terms 'upstream' and 'downstream'
are meaningless because FireWire is peer-to-peer.  USB is playing catch-up
with USB OTG.

JL

0
jsleung (47)
5/24/2006 7:35:46 AM
"Johnnie Leung" <jsleung@telecom-digest.zzn.com> wrote in message

> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Oops, yes you're correct. If you look at the data sheet at
>> "ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DFB-H7/DFB-H7_ds.pdf" it shows only
>> USB 2.0 connection to the host, but in the fine print it does say that
>> you need the FireWire connection as well.
>
> It implies that by saying '2 - 1394 Firewire Downstream Ports... 1 - 1394
> Firewire Upstream Port'.  But really, the terms 'upstream' and
> 'downstream' are meaningless because FireWire is peer-to-peer.  USB is
> playing catch-up with USB OTG.

Not really, because although USB-OTG can feature a port (A/B) that is either
host (A plug inserted) or peripheral (B plug inserted), it is either one or
the other, determined by whether the fifth pin on the connector is open
(peripheral (B)) or grounded (host (A)).  Such a port can also feature the
limited ability to negotiate with another similar port over which is host.

For example if you have (say) a printer* and a handheld organiser which both
feature type A/B USB-OTG connectors.  You insert your OTG cable such that
the printer gets the A plug and is host and the organiser gets the B plug.
The printer as host then initiates comms with the organiser, and they agree
that the organiser would make a more suitable host.  They switch roles and
away they go.  AIUI, there is no capability to switch back.

USB will never catch up with firewire because of the philosphical
differences, though USB was intended as a sort of firewire-lite.  Firewire
has already pulled even further ahead with the new 1394b standard featuring
Beta protocol and up to S3200 transmission.

*The printer needs to be host when it is connected to a camera that supports
direct printing and is not OTG.

0
no.one9739 (1143)

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

What to use for laptop laptopping?
My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of plywood I'm using now? Peabody wrote: > My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, > so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that > everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece > of plywood I'm using now? Something like this? http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ -- Notan Notan wrote: > Peabody wrote: >> My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so >> I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that >> everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of >> plywood I'm using now? > > Something like this? > > http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ Here's another: http://www.laptopdesk.net/laptopdesk2f.html -- Notan Notan wrote: > Notan wrote: >> Peabody wrote: >>> My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, >>> so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that >>> everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece >>> of plywood I'm using now? >> >> Something like this? >> >> http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ > >...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless
Hi Everyone I need some help with a question please? Me and a couple of mates have Wireless Laptops and wanna set up a LAN. Is it possible to do this without going thru a router, kinda like running a "Virtual Router" or something on one laptop and the others connect into it? If it helps we wanna play Civ 3 Conquests Multiplayer, I am pretty sure it either uses TCP/IP. I have set up normal cable networks before at home and have done a quick Google on it to no avail! I have ordered a Netger WGT634UK for the home ready, but this is just if we are at work and wanna have a quick go. ...

laptop to laptop copy???
What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one laptop to another laptop?? I think it use to be "laplink" very expensive avenue!!! Or Bobs copier! Is there a cheaper way to do it. Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ???? Joe ********************************************************** * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM* * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) * * Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR * ********************************************************** Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> writes: > What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one > laptop to another laptop?? I think it use to be "laplink" very > expensive avenue!!! Or Bobs copier! Is there a cheaper way > to do it. Will laplink actually copy contents of an older laptop > such as Toshiba Satelite 20CDT to a newer laptops such as > a P4 Notepad with a 20gig HDD in it ???? Normally these days you'd use ethernet for something like that. Copying that much data through a serial port would take forever. On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:12:55 -1000, Joseph Fenn wrote: > What is the best software (cable) etc to copy the contents of one > laptop to another laptop?? I think it use to be "laplink" very > expensive avenue!!! Or Bobs...

Getting program off of old laptop onto another old laptop..
I have a old Toshiba laptop 105CS, that is failing. I have a DOS program I need to transfer onto another 105CS and make a back up of it. The laptop only has a floppy drive and the program and data is much larger than a floppy. Any ideas on the best way to transfer these files? Thanks. On 24 Jan 2007 13:33:10 -0800, ephedralover@hotmail.com wrote: >I have a old Toshiba laptop 105CS, that is failing. I have a DOS >program I need to transfer onto another 105CS and make a back up of it. >The laptop only has a floppy drive and the program and data is much >larger than a floppy. Any ideas on the best way to transfer these >files? Thanks. If it's that old it probably doesn't have a USB port, so the use of a "thumb drive" is probably not an option. How about networking? Even my old IBM (before USB ports) had a PC card slot where I could install an ethernet card.. If networking isn't an option, you can always remove the hard drive, temporarily install it in a desktop, and copy directly from the drive. There are also adapters that will allow you to connect a notebook drive to a USB cable and copy that way. Of course, there's also the software approach... Just zip the software to multiple floppies. Charlie Hoffpauir http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/ Didn't think of the zip option or the adapter. I will look into this. Thanks. On Jan 24, 2:29 pm, Charlie Hoffpauir <inva...@invalid.com> wrote: > On 24 Jan 2...

laptop bag and laptop mouse
i'm looking for a decent uk supplier of a laptop bag, one that looks like a back pack. regular bags have "steal me!" written all over it. I'm also looking for an optical mouse, they are slightly smaller and some have retractable leads some are wireless some are bluetooth. advice please. -- Ian Lincoln Independent I.T Consultant Deathwalker <ian-lincoln@blueyonder.co.ukspam> wrote: > i'm looking for a decent uk supplier of a laptop bag, one that looks like a > back pack. regular bags have "steal me!" written all over it. I'm also > l...

What laptop should I get?
I'm tired of going home or using my school's computers so I'm looking for a laptop I can take along with me and fire up whereever I go. Unfortunately I have two conflicting needs. It has to be light and durable enough for me to carry it around and use all the time but I'd also like to be able to tide me through new games that will come out for awhile. This means that I'll probably be looking for a system with a mobile processor and a decent nVidia or ATI graphics card. I'd prefer that the system has as good a battery as possible. At the very least be able to stay up for more than 1hr under heavy use and maybe 3hr or more with regular stuff. I also want something that won't go south because of some shaking. A huge screen is not really much of a concern for me. Maybe something that weighs in at 7 lb or less. And a low price would be a nice bonus. This sager NP3880v notebook is the closest fit I can find although it is a little bulky. Don't know how long the battery will last. Does anyone know of cheaper and/or better alternatives to this? Is sager a good company? 15.4" WUXGA Active Matrix LCD Display Intel=AE Pentium=AE M Processor 760 / 2MB L2 Cache, 2.0 GHz, 533MHz FSB 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 System Memory Nvidia GeForce GO 6600 PCI-Express 16X Graphics with 128MB DDR Video Memory 80.0GB (5400rpm) Ultra ATA 100 Hard Drive 8X DVD =B1 R/RW/+DL Combo Drive with LightScribe Technology & Softwares Intel=AE Centrino=99 mobile technology, I...

Laptop Lottery
www.urhookup.com is sponsoring a Laptop Lottery. One winner will walk away with a new Sony Vaio K14 Laptop. Check out the site for details. Officially starts Aug 1st, but selling tickets effective now. Each ticket is $1.00 - No limit on how many. Drawing held at Rgate Lutherin Church by Pastor Bradley & the winner (if not present) will be notified that afternoon. UrHookUp.com, Inc. "Come Get Hooked Up!" www.urhookup.com ...

LG laptops and laptop keyboards
Hello folks. I am considering an LG laptop (W1pro) and have read in their website they have an "ER" keyboard with enhanced tactile sensation. Anyone has any experience with this? How would you rate LG laptop keyboards against other laptop keyboards? Any personal experience with this brand of laptops? Thank you in advance ...

Laptop to Laptop by Wireless #2
[...]

Laptop-to-laptop Ethernet connection
Sometimes I take train with my spouse. I have a Linux laptop and a Sierra 597E "wireless broadband" card. This card works great with Linux, its maker Sierra contributes to the Linux kernel, and I basically have a well working internet while on train. The question concerns the second laptop -- my wife's. What I would like is to connect it to my laptop via Ethernet, and have her laptop use my laptop as a "gateway". My question is, can I directly connect them. I think that some pairs in Ethernet cable are somehow twisted, making a direct connection from computer to co...

laptop
hello dear friends and computer lovers, can someone tell me how to remove the password that is stored at the bios from the "ibm thinkpad t22" ?? manny greetings for your trouble to help me ;-) On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:50:05 +0100, "news.wxs.nl" <guru303@yahoo.com> wrote: >hello dear friends and computer lovers, >can someone tell me how to remove the password that is stored at the bios >from the "ibm thinkpad t22" ?? >manny greetings for your trouble to help me ;-) > Try here. They have a lot of information. some may be applicable to your ...

Laptop
I have a RPC. Could the same 'works' or something similar be installed in a laptop configuration. Just so I can take 'it' with me on hols. I don't want VRPC. Dave. -- D On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:51:24 +0100 Dave <mail@daveandsylvia.plus.com> wrote: > I have a RPC. Could the same 'works' or something similar be > installed in a laptop configuration. Just so I can take 'it' with me > on hols. I don't want VRPC. Sure. Just find somebody willing to sell your 20 laptop cases for each of the RISC OS people left who'd buy a native lap...

Laptop
Hellow, I use matlab for intense data processing, large amounts of data, for example it can take me up to 1hr the smallest data set I process. My desktop is a Pentium4,1Gb PC3200. I'm shopping for a laptop what laptops do you guys recommend. I am personally insterested in Lenovo. Thanks ...

laptop
HI we have new verities of laptop not only for your personnel use but also gift to your loved one so please visit our site http://mwi-laptop.blogspot.com/ >>>>> waheed iqbal <whd373@gmail.com> (wi) wrote: >wi> HI we have new verities of laptop not only for your personnel use but >wi> also gift to your loved one so please visit our site I have no personnel. -- Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl> URL: http://pietvanoostrum.com [PGP 8DAE142BE17999C4] Private email: piet@vanoostrum.org ...

Laptop
ntpd seems to require a constant internet connection (although as far as I can see this is never explicitly stated). But what about a computer, which is only occasionally (on average once a day) connected to the internet, and for a few minutes (5 minutes on average)? Can ntpd be used in this case? If yes, what paramters have to be set in ntp.conf? If no, are there any programs available to handle this? In case it is relevant, here some more details: iBook G4 with Mac OS X 10.4.5 ntpd -f /var/run/ntp.drift -p /var/run/ntpd.pid /etc/ntp.conf = "server time.asia.apple.com minpol...

laptop
hi I would like to get a new laptop to run solidworks. I am looking for 15.4" screen, under 8 lbs and of course under $2500. recomendations? anyone running without an approved video card with good results? I also would like to know which lcd to go with? wuxga? wsxga? wxga? right now carrying around 17" alienware to customers, too heavy, too short battery life, too expensive. thanks greif Reply Sorry it didn't work out for you. Would you like to offload the Alienware cheap? I've got it's cousin the Hypersonic, and it's not light, but it blows the doors ...

laptop
HI we have new verities of laptop not only for your personnel use but also gift to your loved one so please visit our site http://mwi-laptop.blogspot.com/ ...

Laptop Computer Furniture..(laptop computers)
laptop computers Laptops are small portable computers. They can be carried along, just like a small briefcase. They are convenient as they can be carried during travel. The furniture for this also has to be as per the dimensions of the laptop. With laptops being lighter and portable, the associated computer furniture is also becoming attractive and economical. A customer can choose from a variety of mobile laptop computer stands and desks. Some styles are foldable and perfect for travel. These laptop stands are good for small spaces. There are laptop computer desks to hold laptops, which can be rolled up to the conference room or to the bedside. Seat mounted desks are the perfect mobile organizer, for a laptop. They can be attached onto car seats. This enables the person to work even while being driven. Lap desks are very convenient and create a convenient work- table, wherever he sits. It costs around $99.00. Laptop caddy is a modification to the desks. This adjusts and tilts, so that the user can work anywhere in comfort. It is priced at $149.00. There are specially designed file compartments, which provide easy access to files and documents. This furniture is without a drill base mount, which is fully adjustable and removable in seconds. Adjustable laptop visor is another such accessory. It is adjustable to fit any laptop computer screen. It prevents glare and provides privacy. It is responsible for increasing productivity by reducing eyestrain and also protects the la...

question about Dell laptops- laptops in general?
Hi, I dont have a laptop but I have a friend who is selling their used laptop. My question is this they have the Lattitude C640, C610 or the C810 that I can choose from. Do all these laptops come with an ethernet connection? I would like to be able to run this laptop on a cable modem... What should I be looking for in the specs? just an ethernet? What about if I wanted to go wireless? if it doesnt have a wireless card, could one just add one to the laptop? how much does this usually cost? Also, if it had a lousy hard drive capacity- how much does it cost to add an larger harddrive? so essentially to sum it up, I am looking to go highspeed, with the option to go wireless, will these laptops work for that- what is needed? Thank you KOS KOS wrote: > Hi, I dont have a laptop but I have a friend who is selling their used > laptop. > > My question is this they have the Lattitude C640, C610 or the C810 > that I can choose from. Do all these laptops come with an ethernet > connection? I would like to be able to run this laptop on a cable > modem... What should I be looking for in the specs? just an ethernet? > > What about if I wanted to go wireless? if it doesnt have a wireless > card, could one just add one to the laptop? how much does this usually > cost? > > Also, if it had a lousy hard drive capacity- how much does it cost to > add an larger harddrive? > > so essentially to sum it up, I am looking to go highspeed, with t...

Install OS on laptop from another laptop?
I have an IBM 560Z laptop which has no built-in CD and whose USB port I just can't make work. It has W98SE on it at the moment, but it's pretty well useless if I can't get data in and out. I was wondering if I could install a Linux distro on it from my XP laptop - maybe via a serial connection? Is it possible? If so, does it need a special (null?) cable? I want to try this to see if Linux can make the USB port work - W98 "sees" it but won't recognise data on devices (pen drive, floppy) attached to it. Sorry to appear dim, but it's the first machine I've owned without a CD drive, so I'm a bit lost... Thanks for any advice or suggestions. DAH. DAH wrote: > I have an IBM 560Z laptop which has no built-in CD and whose USB port > I just can't make work. It has W98SE on it at the moment, but it's > pretty well useless if I can't get data in and out. > I was wondering if I could install a Linux distro on it from my XP > laptop - maybe via a serial connection? Is it possible? If so, does it > need a special (null?) cable? > I want to try this to see if Linux can make the USB port work - W98 > "sees" it but won't recognise data on devices (pen drive, floppy) > attached to it. > Sorry to appear dim, but it's the first machine I've owned without a > CD drive, so I'm a bit lost... > Thanks for any advice or suggestions. > DAH. There are a bunch of issues here. You do rea...

7200rpm laptop drive killing laptops
Hi, I recently sold a laptop to a customer who wanted the laptop ide drive to be upgraded to a 7200 rpm one. I put in a 60GB "HTS726060M9AT00" Hitachi Drive. He took the laptop, used it for two days and brought the laptop back. I check the usual, ram, hard drive, all the connections to the motherboard. Everything seemed fine but nothing would come on the screen. So I gave the customer a second laptop, with the 7200 rpm Hitachi Drive. He came back again after 2 two days and the laptop is completely dead. The only common thing between the two laptops that I gave to the customer was the hard drive. I am inclined to think that the 7200rpm drive is not meant for these old laptops. The first laptop was a Toshiba Satellite 4300. The second laptop is a Toshiba Tecra 8200. Would the difference between the 5400 rpm drive and the 7200 rpm be that much more, in terms of heat generation and power consumption? Anyone with any experience on this, please share. Thank you, Aqueeb. aqueeb@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, I recently sold a laptop to a customer who wanted the laptop ide > drive to be upgraded to a 7200 rpm one. I put in a 60GB > "HTS726060M9AT00" Hitachi Drive. He took the laptop, used it for two > days and brought the laptop back. I check the usual, ram, hard drive, > all the connections to the motherboard. Everything seemed fine but > nothing would come on the screen. So I gave the customer a second > laptop, with the 7200 rpm Hitachi Drive. H...

Web resources about - How to get firewire to a laptop - comp.sys.laptops

IEEE 1394 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The IEEE 1394 interface , developed in late 1980s and early 1990s by Apple as FireWire , is a serial bus interface standard for high-speed communications ...

Apple cuts FireWire connection
IF there's a bit of ground upheaval at the Alta Mesa Memorial Park in California's Palo Alto this week, it's probably just Steve Jobs rolling ...

Review: Hitachi G-Drive 500GB portable firewire hard drive
We’ve spent the past month with the Hitachi G-Drive Mobile ($128) which is an attractive Firewire/USB portable hard drive that will look great ...

Duet (FireWire): Compatibility - Apogee KnowledgeBase
No . Duet 2 , the original ONE Duet FireWire , Symphony I / O and Ensemble are Mac only products and were not designed to work with iPad or iOS ...

FireWire Audio Driver Update 1.0.8
About This update is recommended for users of FireWire audio devices built on the BridgeCo Enhanced Breakout Box (BeBoB), including the FA-101 ...

Jobs responds to outrage over MacBook's missing FireWire [u]
... Apple chief executive Steve Jobs has reportedly told one Mac user that changes in video camera technology have reduced the need for FireWire ...

Report: FireWire doomed to niche interface status
... 2. report. One of the more infamous and contentious threads in the history of the Battlefront was a debate over the relative merits of FireWire ...

Akitio Neutrino U3+ USB 3.0 and Firewire 800 Enclosure Review
... enclosures are nothing new, but the Akiti takes it to the next level with the Neutrino U3+ 2.5″ SATA enclosure, offering USB 3.0 and Firewire ...

FireWire hits 2 billion ports, still far behind USB
The 1394 Trade Association is touting the success of FireWire ports , saying that the technology has reached the 2 billion ports mark. But that ...

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter now available
Over a month after announcing the adaptor at WWDC, Apple has finally made it available for Thunderbolt users.