How to get firewire to a laptop

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
do I do this?

The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

0
Reply wtw (2) 5/19/2006 9:04:01 AM

See related articles to this posting

<wtw@iki.fi> wrote in message
> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
> do I do this?
>
> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

You don't.  A USB port is not up to the job of hosting a firewire port (not
even a USB2 port).  The solution is to change the sound system to a USB
based one, or change the laptop to one that has a Cardbus slot.

0
Reply no.one9739 (1143) 5/19/2006 11:13:27 AM

wtw@iki.fi wrote:
> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
> do I do this?
>
> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

The solution is _not_ to want to use the sound card or use it with
another machine. There is no other solution to this problem.
0
Reply bobrs10001 (21) 5/19/2006 3:52:06 PM

It's hard for me to imagine a laptop that doesn't have a PC Card slot
(the correct terminology for what you called a PCMCIA slot).

If you don't have that (and it has to be "Cardbus ... just any PC Card
slot will not do), you are screwed.  There is no other way to add a
firewire port to a laptop that doesn't have one.

wtw@iki.fi wrote:

> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
> do I do this?
>
> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

0
Reply WatzmanNOSPAM (5711) 5/19/2006 6:02:58 PM

<wtw@iki.fi> wrote in message news:1148029441.789268.82190@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com...
> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
> do I do this?
>
> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

doesn't have a PCMCIA slot? what kind of laptop is it?
also, what kind of sound card is it?

0
Reply tg44 (21) 5/19/2006 6:20:47 PM

> It's hard for me to imagine a laptop that doesn't have a PC Card slot

Some recent Dells have ExpressCard slots only.  Most palmtops and UMPCs have
either a single CF slot (= 16-bit) or no expansion slot at all.

JL

0
Reply jsleung (47) 5/20/2006 12:39:30 PM

tg kirjoitti:
> doesn't have a PCMCIA slot? what kind of laptop is it?
> also, what kind of sound card is it?

It's LG TX Express. Small and lightwight, but doesn't have cardbus. My
soundcard is Edirol FA-101.

I've been cheking out Edirol UA-101, a USB sound card, anyways. This
might be just enough of a nudge to make the change. The FA-101 is good
in sound quality but very lacking in versatility, and has left me in a
bit of a muddle a few times. Might as well dump it, since it seems
suprisingly hard to get a firewire connector.

0
Reply wtw (2) 5/20/2006 1:04:35 PM

Presumably there are (or will be) Firewire cards for Express Card slots.

PC Card (16-bit slot) = notebook equiv. of ISA bus
PC Card (32-bit slot (aka Cardbus) = notebook equiv. of PCI bus
Express Card (new ... physically looks like PC Card slot) = notebook

      equiv. of PCI Express

Johnnie Leung wrote:
> "Barry Watzman" <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>It's hard for me to imagine a laptop that doesn't have a PC Card slot
>

> Some recent Dells have ExpressCard slots only.  Most palmtops and UMPCs have
> either a single CF slot (= 16-bit) or no expansion slot at all.
>
> JL

0
Reply WatzmanNOSPAM (5711) 5/20/2006 2:59:28 PM

Barry Watzman <Watzman@neo.rr.com> top-posted:
>Presumably there are (or will be) Firewire cards for Express Card slots.
>PC Card (16-bit slot) = notebook equiv. of ISA bus
>PC Card (32-bit slot (aka Cardbus) = notebook equiv. of PCI bus
>Express Card (new ... physically looks like PC Card slot) = notebook
>      equiv. of PCI Express

In fact, Express Card incorporates both USB and PCI Express
interfaces.
0
Reply news2006c (89) 5/20/2006 3:59:31 PM

Barry Watzman wrote:
> It's hard for me to imagine a laptop that doesn't have a PC Card slot
> (the correct terminology for what you called a PCMCIA slot).

Actually, the newer laptops have CardBus slots, the 32 bit version of
the PC Card.

The new Apple notebooks have no CardBus slots, but they do have
Firewire. The lack of a CardBus slot has a lot of Mac users extremely
upset. There are many devices for which there are no ExpressCard cards,
and there are no external USB or Firewire to CardBus adapters.
0
Reply scharf.steven (901) 5/21/2006 1:25:41 AM

wtw@iki.fi wrote:
> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
> do I do this?
>
> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.

Buy the D-Link 4-Port USB 2.0, 3-Port Firewire, Combo Hub. It plugs into
a USB 2.0 port.

I have no idea how well this works in terms of latency. A USB 2.0 port
should be able to support a Firewire 400 port pretty well.

Apparently this device has been discontinued as of April 2006, but I'm
sure that you could still find one.

That LG machine is very cool. I used to visit the LG notebook factory in
Korea pretty often, and they have some very good machines that they
manufacture but don't sell in the U.S..
0
Reply scharf.steven (901) 5/21/2006 1:36:17 AM

"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> wtw@iki.fi wrote:
>
> Buy the D-Link 4-Port USB 2.0, 3-Port Firewire, Combo Hub. It plugs into a
> USB 2.0 port.

Assuming you mean the DFB-H7, it is exactly that--a hub.  The FireWire and
USB portions are separate, meaning you don't magically get a FireWire
connection by just plugging it into a USB host.

JL

0
Reply jsleung (47) 5/21/2006 7:20:14 AM

The term "PC Card" encompasses both 16-bit and 32-bit (Cardbus) PC
Cards.  Virtually every laptop since about 1997 (about Pentium 166MHz)
has had Cardbus slots which are backwards compatible to 16-bit PC cards.

The newer laptops now have "Express Card" slots (the laptop equivalent
of PCI-Express).  These are not backwards compatible; some laptops have
both PC Card slots and Express Card slots, others have Express Card
slots only (which is currently problematic, as there are not all that
many Express cards currently available).

SMS wrote:
> Barry Watzman wrote:
>
>> It's hard for me to imagine a laptop that doesn't have a PC Card slot
>> (the correct terminology for what you called a PCMCIA slot).
>

> Actually, the newer laptops have CardBus slots, the 32 bit version of
> the PC Card.
>
> The new Apple notebooks have no CardBus slots, but they do have
> Firewire. The lack of a CardBus slot has a lot of Mac users extremely
> upset. There are many devices for which there are no ExpressCard cards,
> and there are no external USB or Firewire to CardBus adapters.
0
Reply WatzmanNOSPAM (5711) 5/22/2006 3:00:07 AM

"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> wtw@iki.fi wrote:
>> Hey. I've got a problem. I need to connect my external sound card,
>> which only has firewire connector, to a laptop that doesn't have a
>> firewire port or a PCMCIA slot. All I have is a bunch of USB ports. How
>> do I do this?
>>
>> The solution is _not_ to change the sound card or the laptop.
>
> Buy the D-Link 4-Port USB 2.0, 3-Port Firewire, Combo Hub. It plugs into a
> USB 2.0 port.
>
> I have no idea how well this works in terms of latency. A USB 2.0 port
> should be able to support a Firewire 400 port pretty well.

A USB2 port is totally incapable of supporting a Firewire port.  What made
you think that it should? Check the hub carefully.  I doubt that you get
firewire ports if it is connected to a USB port.  I'll bet it is actually a
USB hub *and* a separate Firewire hub in the same box.

> Apparently this device has been discontinued as of April 2006, but I'm
> sure that you could still find one.
>
> That LG machine is very cool. I used to visit the LG notebook factory in
> Korea pretty often, and they have some very good machines that they
> manufacture but don't sell in the U.S..

0
Reply no.one9739 (1143) 5/22/2006 6:44:43 AM

Johnnie Leung wrote:

> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> wtw@iki.fi wrote:
>>
>> Buy the D-Link 4-Port USB 2.0, 3-Port Firewire, Combo Hub. It plugs
>> into a USB 2.0 port.
>
> Assuming you mean the DFB-H7, it is exactly that--a hub.  The FireWire
> and USB portions are separate, meaning you don't magically get a
> FireWire connection by just plugging it into a USB host.

Oops, yes you're correct. If you look at the data sheet at
"ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DFB-H7/DFB-H7_ds.pdf" it shows only
  USB 2.0 connection to the host, but in the fine print it does say that
you need the FireWire connection as well.

Sorry for the mistake.
0
Reply scharf.steven (901) 5/23/2006 8:42:08 PM

> Oops, yes you're correct. If you look at the data sheet at
> "ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DFB-H7/DFB-H7_ds.pdf" it shows only
> USB 2.0 connection to the host, but in the fine print it does say that you
> need the FireWire connection as well.

It implies that by saying '2 - 1394 Firewire Downstream Ports... 1 - 1394
Firewire Upstream Port'.  But really, the terms 'upstream' and 'downstream'
are meaningless because FireWire is peer-to-peer.  USB is playing catch-up
with USB OTG.

JL

0
Reply jsleung (47) 5/24/2006 7:35:46 AM

"Johnnie Leung" <jsleung@telecom-digest.zzn.com> wrote in message

> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Oops, yes you're correct. If you look at the data sheet at
>> "ftp://ftp10.dlink.com/pdfs/products/DFB-H7/DFB-H7_ds.pdf" it shows only
>> USB 2.0 connection to the host, but in the fine print it does say that
>> you need the FireWire connection as well.
>
> It implies that by saying '2 - 1394 Firewire Downstream Ports... 1 - 1394
> Firewire Upstream Port'.  But really, the terms 'upstream' and
> 'downstream' are meaningless because FireWire is peer-to-peer.  USB is
> playing catch-up with USB OTG.

Not really, because although USB-OTG can feature a port (A/B) that is either
host (A plug inserted) or peripheral (B plug inserted), it is either one or
the other, determined by whether the fifth pin on the connector is open
(peripheral (B)) or grounded (host (A)).  Such a port can also feature the
limited ability to negotiate with another similar port over which is host.

For example if you have (say) a printer* and a handheld organiser which both
feature type A/B USB-OTG connectors.  You insert your OTG cable such that
the printer gets the A plug and is host and the organiser gets the B plug.
The printer as host then initiates comms with the organiser, and they agree
that the organiser would make a more suitable host.  They switch roles and
away they go.  AIUI, there is no capability to switch back.

USB will never catch up with firewire because of the philosphical
differences, though USB was intended as a sort of firewire-lite.  Firewire
has already pulled even further ahead with the new 1394b standard featuring
Beta protocol and up to S3200 transmission.

*The printer needs to be host when it is connected to a camera that supports
direct printing and is not OTG.

0
Reply no.one9739 (1143) 5/24/2006 1:51:47 PM
comp.sys.laptops 18177 articles. 2 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Getting program off of old laptop onto another old laptop..
I have a old Toshiba laptop 105CS, that is failing. I have a DOS program I need to transfer onto another 105CS and make a back up of it. The laptop only has a floppy drive and the program and data is much larger than a floppy. Any ideas on the best way to transfer these files? Thanks. On 24 Jan 2007 13:33:10 -0800, ephedralover@hotmail.com wrote: >I have a old Toshiba laptop 105CS, that is failing. I have a DOS >program I need to transfer onto another 105CS and make a back up of it. >The laptop only has a floppy drive and the program and data is much >larger than a floppy. Any i...

What laptop should I get?
I'm tired of going home or using my school's computers so I'm looking for a laptop I can take along with me and fire up whereever I go. Unfortunately I have two conflicting needs. It has to be light and durable enough for me to carry it around and use all the time but I'd also like to be able to tide me through new games that will come out for awhile. This means that I'll probably be looking for a system with a mobile processor and a decent nVidia or ATI graphics card. I'd prefer that the system has as good a battery as possible. At the very least be able to stay up f...

gets gets
I'm a little surprised at this. In irb, I tried puts gets gets. Why? I don't know. but basically, gets gets, seems to almost act like a heredoc! myString = gets gets puts myString On Mar 26, 2007, at 3:17 AM, John Joyce wrote: > I'm a little surprised at this. > In irb, I tried puts gets gets. > Why? I don't know. > but basically, gets gets, seems to almost act like a heredoc! > myString = gets gets > puts myString It's not surprising at all. First, let's insert the parentheses so we can see it as Ruby does: puts(gets(gets())) Now we see th...

Get online computer training for free and also get a free laptop
Get online computer training for free and also get a free laptop if you have find the correct place to find visit the site follow the site given below http://wildtrick.blogspot.com/ ...

[...]

Get online computer training for free and also get a free laptop #2
Get online computer training for free and also get a free laptop if you have find the correct place to find visit the site follow the site given below http://wildtrick.blogspot.com/ ...

FA: Didn't get that laptop for Xmas? GET ONE OF THESE! under $500/free shipping too!
Great deal on 2 road warrior laptops rated 8.3 by CNET and given an Editor's Choice award from CNET! 1 - COMPAQ Evo N410c 512MB 30GB PIII-M DVD wireless! + extra battery! 1 - COMPAQ Evo N410c 512MB 30GB PIII-M DVD Both come with the MEU (slice) and a FREE laptop bag too!!! Each one is under $500 and they are both getting shipped to YOU FOR FREE! http://stores.ebay.com/Garage-Sale-to-Auction_Computers Here are the individual items... the store seems to be misbehaving... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6731921185&ssPageName=ST...

Get a FREE Laptop!!!
To get a FREE Laptop check out http://laptops.freepay.com/?r=28843352 and it's absolutely FREE! No Purchases necessary. <shaitan_onlsrv@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1143145600.759815.278030@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > To get a FREE Laptop check out > > > > and it's absolutely FREE! No Purchases necessary. > Misstype. Missed out the word "me" after "To Get". He hopes, but no chance. Roy G ...

what kind of laptop to get?
what is your opinion on the widescreen notebooks like the 17" notebook. do you think the widescreen notebooks is the wave of the future , or is it just a useless fad? what good does a 17" notebook do? "SamNC001" <samnc001@aol.com> wrote in message news:20040201105027.21957.00000685@mb-m22.aol.com... > what is your opinion on the widescreen notebooks like the 17" notebook. do you > think the widescreen notebooks is the wave of the future , or is it just a > useless fad? what good does a 17" notebook do? I have a Presario X1000 with a 15.3 inch ...

get free laptop
http://ezlaptop.com/?r=41484 ...

Get a FREE Laptop!!!
To get a FREE Laptop check out http://laptops.freepay.com/?r=28843352 and it's absolutely FREE! No Purchases necessary. shaitan_onlsrv@hotmail.com wrote: > To get a FREE Laptop check out > > http://laptops.freepay.com/?r=28843352 > > > and it's absolutely FREE! No Purchases necessary. You have been reported to Freepay. Please note that it is against their Terms of Service to mass spam the link as you have. Next time you may want to legally try achieving your reward. Josh McFarlane ...

Get a Laptop for only $29
Click on this link and learn how YOU can get a laptop for only $29. http://learn2compute.net/index.php?refid=100197 ...

Get a FREE Laptop!!!
To get a FREE Laptop check out http://laptops.freepay.com/?r=28843352 and it's absolutely FREE! No Purchases necessary. shaitan_onlsrv@hotmail.com wrote: > > To get a FREE Laptop check out > > http://laptops.freepay.com > > and it's absolutely FREE! No Purchases necessary. Get thee behind me, shaitan. -- "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of...

Laptop getting weird
Hi all, I kinda have an idea about what's going on with my laptop but i wanted to run these symptoms by you guys... I have a titanium Powerbook G4 I got in 2003. The prox is 1Ghz PowerPC G3, 1 GB RAM, OS is 10.3.9. Just over a year ago the battery pooped out, it doesn't hold a charge, so if I don't leave the AC cord plugged in, it dies within minutes. As a bonus problem, the power cords are so fragile, I'm on my 3rd in the 4 years I've had it. The current one is actually a Targus brand cable that I thought would be more sturdy, but not really, so I'm constantly having...

How to get a laptop gift
How to get a laptop gift http://echance.info/laptop.htm ...

thinking about getting a laptop
Hi Last week I bought a HP ze4325c, and am seiously thinking about taking it back since it has a line in the screen and no one else seems to notice it or says it's a big deal but me. Hey, if i spend 1800 on something with tax i want it to be working flawlessly. So anyway i don't think i'll be getting the same model since i thought it was a good deal but then looking around i realized it wasn't that good of a deal. So I was wondering which of the following would be best, I do not intend to play games on it but only surf the net and and do school work since i'm still in hi...

Get a FREE Laptop!!!
To get a FREE Laptop check out http://laptops.freepay.com/?r=28843352 and it's absolutely FREE! No Purchases necessary. <shaitan_onlsrv@hotmail.com> wrote: > To get a FREE Laptop check out [spam site] For a free demonstration of a truly amazing combination of stupidity and greed, talk to the original poster. But you might have to do wait until he/she gets an account with a new ISP. Abuse complaint sent to igs.net, where the google groups posting came from. Also sent to hotmail on the off chance that the hotmail address isn't just forged. -- Richard Maine ...

Get a laptop for $5
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C4AD1F.757B9000 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Check this site out. I got mine in only a month! All you have to do is read emails http://www.ezlaptop.com/index.php?ref=3D5952=20 Good luck=20 Jon ------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C4AD1F.757B9000 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <MET...