IBM R50 vs IBM R40 ?

I looked at the IBM website and dont really see the differences (pros/cons)
of the IBM R40's and R50's. Is it just different features,styling, or
performance?

Thanks,
Lou

0
no-spam10 (94)

Lenovo Laptops vs IBM
Does anybody know if the Thinkpads currently offered by Lenovo are, in fact, essentially the same as the products recently made by IBM? If you look for laptops on the IBM site, you are now, not surprisingly, linked over to Lenovo. I bought a G-series laptop directly from IBM in November 2004, and it was shipped from Shanghai. That's why I wonder if Lenovo has been making them for IBM, under contract, for some time since before the recent business change. In other words, I'm wondering whether the Thinkpad remains basically the same product, made by more-or-less the same people a...

Toshiba vs. IBM vs. Dell: keyboard quality; UXGA/WUXGA (was "Sex, Lies and Laptops")
I'm now looking at the desktop-replacement laptops (with 15" UXGA or WUXGA screens) from IBM, Dell and Toshiba (the brands at the top of my "short" list). Two questions: 1) The durability and touch quality of the keyboard is important to me, but it is difficult to conclusively assess before buying (especially for IBM and Dell). So, what sayest everyone? Within each brand, do we see a variance in keyboard quality? 2) For the screen, I'm intrigued with IBM (its "Flexview") and Dell (its "Ultrasharp"). I recall hearing it mentioned somewhere that Toshiba offers the "ClearView", but I've found no information on this (marketing name may not be correct), and I see no mention at the Toshiba USA site of anything "special" regarding their UXGA screen. Thanks. Jon I've long been a toshiba user. I just made the switch to a t40p. The t40p keyboard is good but I like the toshiba better. Toshiba is: Quieter (dead quiet) Shorter strokes Better layout (ctrl key in lower left) Less bumbling the keys, hitting wrong ones. IBM is very solid keyboard no flex etc. but I think toshiba is more user friendly. "Jon Noring" <jon@noring.name> wrote in message news:821890f1.0309100810.5430ca46@posting.google.com... > I'm now looking at the desktop-replacement laptops (with 15" UXGA or > WUXGA screens) from IBM, Dell and Toshiba (the brands at the top of my > "short" list). > &...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs.
Superboer said: > > well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA > (Service-Oriented Architecture) > > in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... > > sex disease..... > > they offer their customers a soa??? > > WOEHA.. Yep, via a poxy server. :o) -- Bye now, Obnoxio "C'est pas parce qu'on n'a rien ` dire qu'il faut fermer sa gueule" - Coluche did i mention i like nulls? heck, i even go so far as to say that all columns in a table except the primary key could/should be nullable. this has certain advantages, for example, if you need to insert a child record and you don't have a parent row for it, just do an insert into the parent table with the primary key value (everything else null), and voila, relational integrity is preserved. but this is, admittedly, a bit controversial among modellers. --r937, dbforums.com sending to informix-list Obnoxio The Clown wrote: > Superboer said: > >>well i do not know which idiot came up with SOA >>(Service-Oriented Architecture) >> >>in dutch soa is short for sexual overdraagbare aandoening... >> >>sex disease..... >> >>they offer their customers a soa??? >> >>WOEHA.. > > > Yep, via a poxy server. :o) > Hmm - is the code re-entrant ? "Obnoxio The Clown" <obnoxio@serendipita.com> wrote in message news:...

toshiba vs. ibm Centrino laptop
Hello, I'm looking into purchasing a centrino laptop. There are tons on the market but I think I have narrowed my options to either ibm or toshiba, specifically the Toshiba Satellite Pro M10-S405 or the IBM either T40 or R40. I only have $2000 (to the door) to work with so I was looking at the 1.3 Ghz or 1.4 Ghz PM. I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion on this issue. I'm leaning towards the T40 it seems like a solid machine (though lacking firewire). Small and light. I want the P-M for the battery but I've heard the speed can be better. Is this true with lower Ghz PM chips or only the 1.6 Ghz chips? I'm going to be a student and will use it for internet, word processing, and multimedia. Thanks C I have owned a Toshiba M15-S405 for a couple of weeks am so far rather impressed. It came with 2 $100 rebates (one from Best Buy and one from Toshiba). brining cost to $1800. The 1.4gHz Pentium mobile seems sufficient for my needs and affords very good battery life. Henry "cabreezyday" <cabreezyday@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:87616242.0306231603.452ec69e@posting.google.com... > Hello, > > I'm looking into purchasing a centrino laptop. There are tons on the > market but I think I have narrowed my options to either ibm or > toshiba, specifically the Toshiba Satellite Pro M10-S405 or the IBM > either T40 or R40. I only have $2000 (to the door) to work with so I > was looking at the 1.3 Ghz or 1.4 Ghz PM. ...

Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #2
> ... Rather, you should > mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix their web > server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask whatever > server people are redirected to. ... You are right: If (all) external visitors to the pages would do this "mentioning" (surely there's somewhere a link for feedback on the web-pages) to "the IBM web server people", things would be changed within a very short time. But also wrong: If I myself do this "mentioning" to "the IBM web server people", then surely not much will change. Admittedly I've not tried, but I guess if I get a response, then it'd be something along the lines of "millions other users have no problem" ... Regards, Martin -- Martin Fuerderer IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Management owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 13.12.2005 15:51:37: > Martin Fuerderer wrote: > > Hi everyone, > > > > one general thing to note when quoting IBM URLs like the following: > > > > > Check out http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ > > ^^^^ > > |||| > > please leave out the "-###" part of the URL and instead > > quote it like this: > > > > http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ >...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #3
ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell them :)) > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org > [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Martin Fuerderer > Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:35 > To: doubleecho@your.com > Cc: informix-list@iiug.org; owner-informix-list@iiug.org > Subject: Re: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. > http://www-306.ibm.com/) > > > ... Rather, you should > > mention to the IBM web server people that they need to fix > their web > > server settings and the routing or load balancer(s) to mask > whatever > > server people are redirected to. ... > > You are right: > If (all) external visitors to the pages would do this "mentioning" > (surely there's somewhere a link for feedback on the web-pages) > to "the IBM web server people", things would be changed within > a very short time. > > But also wrong: > If I myself do this "mentioning" to "the IBM web server people", > then surely not much will change. Admittedly I've not tried, > but I guess if I get a response, then it'd be something along > the lines of "millions other users have no problem" ... > > Regards, > Martin > -- > Martin Fuerderer > IBM Informix Development Munich, Germany Information Mana...

RE: IBM URLs (http://www.ibm.com/ vs. #5
Hi, there doesn't seem to be an e-mail address. But the bespoke web-page at http://www.ibm.com/software/data/informix/ids/support/ has a link for feedback: look for "Feedback" in the left navigation area on the page ... Regards, Martin -- owner-informix-list@iiug.org wrote on 14.12.2005 22:15:52: > ok Martin... give us the e-mails of those guys, we have a few things to tell > them :)) sending to informix-list sending to informix-list ...

IBM Thinkpad T40 vs. R40/50
Hello! I have decided to get an IBM Thinkpad from the website: http://www.usanotebooks.com . I do like the T series, however I think the R series may provide the same amount of power and most of the same features for a little less. The specs for the T40 are: 1.6 Ghz Pentium M, 1024 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD, 14.1" XGA, 10/100 LAN, 802.11b, Combo Drive, ATI Radeon 7500 32 MB. That costs $445 ( 6 month warranty btw ) THe specs for the R50 are: 1.4 Ghz Pentium M, 256 MB RAM (add $20 for 512), 30 GB HDD, 14.1" (IDK the resoultion), Gigabit LAN, 802.11b, Combo Drive, ATI Radeon 7500 32 MB. That costs $385. The specs are pretty similar. Do you think it is worth the extra $60 for the T40? I know the R series is bulkier and heavier, but this model is 1 pound heaver, but is very thick and bulky. I would not really benefit from Gigabit LAN, as I don't have a gigabit router. 802.11b wireless is sufficient for web browsing, which is what I do. Most of the time when I'm doing hard work on it, it will be plugged into ethernet with AC power anyway. I heard the R50 has 4 hour+ battery, but the T40 has 5.5 hour battery (all standard batteries (6 cell)). Battery life is important, but with most places offering AC outlets, im sure 1.5 hours will not kill me! Thank you very much to anyone who contributes! It is very highly appreciated! :-) ...

IBM Laptop R40 USB2.0 driver
Hi, I know where to get the IBM R40 drivers which is here: http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46024 but I couldn't see any driver for USB2.0 for XP. Some of my USB devices are not working because they need to use USB2.0. Anyone know where to get the driver? Thanks, On Jan 25, 1:21 am, WongMing...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I know where to get the IBM R40 drivers which is here: > > http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-46024 > > but I couldn't see any driver for USB2.0 for XP. Some of my USB devices > are not working because they need to use USB2.0. Anyone know where to > get the driver? > > Thanks You need Service Pack 2, for usb2 support. Also, install the chipset driver. http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-46058.html ...

How do you install a memory stick in an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop?
How do you install a memory stick in an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop? How do you open up the case, assuming this must be done, where does the stick go, is there anything special about how it is installed as compared to a desktop or tower machine, any special things to be aware of or precautions to take? Whereas On 3 Oct 2003 07:27:46 -0700, geercon@alltel.net (David) scribbled: , I thus relpy: >How do you install a memory stick in an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop? > >How do you open up the case, assuming this must be done, where does >the stick go, is there anything special about how it is installed as >compared to a desktop or tower machine, any special things to be aware >of or precautions to take? If it is made to be installed in your specific model of computer, there should be instructions. -- Gary J. Tait . Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat "David" <geercon@alltel.net> wrote in message news:d17560d2.0310030627.5d887c6f@posting.google.com... > How do you install a memory stick in an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop? > > How do you open up the case, assuming this must be done, where does > the stick go, is there anything special about how it is installed as > compared to a desktop or tower machine, any special things to be aware > of or precautions to take? A visit to IBM may turn up a movie to watch showing you exactly how to do it. Al... Here's the movie! http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=M...

WTT: 32MB SIMMs
I have (6) sticks of SiliconMountain Memory (Parity, Gold leads, 70ns), product # SMM4342-9661. These SIMMs are supposed to be equivalent to IBM 92G7205. This memory works fine in my PC 750 MCA/PCI (6886) under Win98. But it does NOT work reliability under Windows NT 3.51 (My current OS). I would like to trade 192MB of SiliconMountain Memory for (2) sticks of IBM 92G7205 SIMMs. Please contact me via email at gorenbergh @ mags . net. Thanks, Steve (eTh1nk) ...

IBM vs. Microsoft vs. ... Ruby?
More "Enterprise Scale" talk over here, with a strong leaning towards heavyweight tooling. http://www.branhamgroup.com/article.php?cat=general&id=38 I wonder how a Ruby-based (ROR? Other?) approach would stack up, which bits it would handle well and where it would fall short. Hi, there are 2 important things missing from Ruby right now: a fast VM and a good IDE. Until you have those you really cannot do "Enterprise Scale" applications. But maybe in the future. On Sep 29, 2005, at 6:21 PM, bonefry wrote: > Hi, > > there are 2 important things missing ...

IBM Laptop
I have an IBM R32 laptop and I think it may have experienced a power surge. Anyway when I put the battery in all it does is continously click (no lights no nothing just a click. When I pull the battery out and try and use the power adapter I get nothing. My question is threefold. 1) Any ideas what that click/spinning could be? 2) If I did experience a powersurge what part(s) would I most likely need to replace? 3) If I replace the system board would the fix the problem and are there any tests that I would be able to run to see what the problem might be? Electrical tests or any other tests. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Ryan ...

IBM R50 or ?
I'm about to purchase my first laptop for use by myself and my family and I'm leaning toward a IBM R50. The computer will be mainly used around the house (I plan to set up a WiFi network) with occasional travel use. The R50 would be spec'd as follows: 1.6 GHz Pentium M 512 MB RAM 32 MB ATI Mobility Radeon 15" SVGA+ Flexview display at 1400 x 1050 Integrated 802.11 a/b/g and Bluetooth My other choices would be Dell or Gateway. I'm leaning toward IBM for a few reasons; durability reputation, keyboard reputation (pretty important), plus reading some good things about the Flexview display. Any purely silly reason is that I prefer the IBM "industrial" look rather than anything gaudy. I wish the video card was a little more robust but there's not much of a choice until you get to the mega expensive 50p. Any ideas or input? TIA I bought and returned an R50. The machines are not well made compared to older IBM laptops. Buy a T23 or T22 from eBay or Overstock.com and save yourself a heap of change. You'll get a better machine, too. "deaconblues" <codetalker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4c88015d.0312211646.45363df0@posting.google.com... > I'm about to purchase my first laptop for use by myself and my family > and I'm leaning toward a IBM R50. The computer will be mainly used > around the house (I plan to set up a WiFi network) with occasional > travel use. The R50 would be spec'd as follow...

How Apple beat IBM in Steve Jobs' first retail war (Apple //c vs IBM PCjr)
This was a good read about Christmas 1984 sales: > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/25/charles_eicher_christmas_1984/> Greg B. -- Actual e-mail address is gregbuchner and I'm located at gmail.com On Nov 27, 2:21=A0pm, Greg Buchner <n...@none.invalid> wrote: > This was a good read about Christmas 1984 sales: > > > <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/25/charles_eicher_christmas_1984/= > > > Greg B. > > -- > Actual e-mail address is gregbuchner and I'm located at gmail.com yea I read that as apple defeated a c...

Asus vs Toshiba vs IBM
Hi I'm looking to possibly buy a laptop around August this year. How would Asus, Toshiba and IBM compare with reliability, warranty and customer service/technical support? I've read about Toshiba and IBM changing ownership of parts of their companies. How has this affected things? I'd also appreciate any recomendations for other brands for Windows laptops. I'm also thinking of dual booting with Linux (Probably Ubuntu) I'm a part time IT student and I'm trying to start up a business using php and Java so I'm looking for a good brand. I'm in Melbourne, Australia Thanks Peter Mount info@petermount.au.com ...

IBM R50
What a pest.... Nice new R50. Working fine 3 days ago at work. Plugged it in at home, and eventually noticed that it was running on the battery, not mains. Lots of mucky around, eventually came to the conclusion that the AC adaptor was the problem. IBM shipped a new one out. Plugged new one in, and system looked ok. Indicating that it is running on mains. Eventually, though, it become apparent that not all is well. Whilst it is running of the AC, the battery charging rate is extremely slow. Roughly 24 hours to go from 50% to 95%. System beeps and switches from battery to mains if you plug the adaptor in whilst it is running, but it seems unable to switch the other way. Shut the system down, and pull out the mains cord, and it still indicates that it is charging. To get back to battery ops, you have to shut it down, remove the battery, and then put it back and start up again. Currently a new battery on the way, but I'm rather suspicious that the problem is more than just that... Looks like its a good thing that it has a 3 year warranty. "JB" <jb0767@hotmail.com.au> wrote in message news:40d2876b$0$28964$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au... > What a pest.... > > Nice new R50. Working fine 3 days ago at work. Plugged it in at home, and > eventually noticed that it was running on the battery, not mains. Lots of > mucky around, eventually came to the conclusion that the AC adaptor was the > problem. IBM shipped a new one out...

I found a good site of IBM thinkpad batteries.Just look it, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk
Hi,everyone, I bought a battery of ibm thindpad r31 from a online store, http://www.ibm-laptop-batteries.co.uk .It is a preffesional online store for ibm thinkpad.All of the batteries not only have cheap price and excellent quality,but also have 1 year warranty and quickly deliver.f you are looking for replacement IBM laptop batteries,such as IBM laptop battery thinkpad 600,IBM thinkpad 600e,IBM R31,IBM R32,IBM T20,IBM T22,IBM T23,IBM R40 and so on,please go there,they are your resonable choice. Best regards, Roy ...

IBM
hi, could u info if IBM viavoice speech recognition is still available for free download. If not what are my options (Indian with regional lingo also good) for free download of the afore via-voice software varios zenacosta@gmail.com wrote: > could u info if IBM viavoice speech recognition is still available for > free download. Never (to my knowledge) was it legally available for free download. It's currently distributed by Nuance. -- Hubert Cr�py ...

ibm
I'm Matthew Win Tibbals, pedophile. http://www.matthewtibbals.com ...

IBM
It frightens me that IBM is pushing for more Linux. They have gone to the point of releasing some of their software patents to help spark the growth of Linux. I for one shudder at the fact that some day companies like IBM may make a power play for the control of Linux software development. It will not be in ownership rights, because of the GPL. However, if the corporations of the world start "needing" open source, they will try to control and steer its development by offering large "donations" to get what they are depending on. If open source developers accept these "gifts," they will become dependent on the corporations. If this hypothetical thought turns out to be true, would this spoil the free software notion of open source and make Linux as proprietary as any other commercial OS? In my hypothetical future of Linux and IBM, would we have IBM sponsered distributions of Linux, for instance? Would IBM be next to try to rule the world with their "IBM Linux" just as MS is trying to rule the desktop with Windows? Think about it. IBM has a lot of money to throw around. They could make "IBM Linux" way more popular than Red Hat with that kind of money. Maybe even make it as popular as Windows?? They'll hold the dough while Linux developers try to get in on a piece of the action. ** DISCALIMER ** This post is neither an attack on Linux, an attack on Windows, a Windows endorsement, nor a Linux endorsement. This po...

IBM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/business/06layoffs.html?ref=business On Mar 6, 10:46=A0am, ibm.su...@ibm.com wrote: > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/business/06layoffs.html?ref=3Dbusiness And this surprises you how? Look, there are a couple of things at play here... First, in S&D, there have been a lot of acquisitions and when you assume a company, you assume their sales force. So you have some overlap. You also have a constant churn in the field reps as you remove weaker workers. Of course the inept management stays put. ;-) I can say more about S&D, but do you really want a lecture on the economies of running an IT Software company? ;-) The point is while I know a lot of people in the S&D ranks who got whacked, I'm not shocked by it. The other cuts? Now that's a different story... With respect to the other RIFs, you have a serious issue where IBM is displacing the work from higher labor cost countries to lower cost workforces. How can you say that there isn't 'job shifting' when you get a person who does job X in the US and is replaced by someone doing job X in another country like India and Brazil? A few years ago, IBM moved a lot of their back office work to Brazil. Very painful in terms of getting things done. Not really noticed by the customer and the S&D team just lumped it and worked around the issues. IBM? They saved money, increasing their profitability at the expense of their ability to...

IBM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/business/06layoffs.html?ref=business ...

dell vs ibm vs fujitsu? recommendation?
Currently I have a sony fx370 that can only run 256MB (if I put ram in the other slot the machine crashes or won't boot at all). So I'm looking for a replacement. I do web development on the machine- mostly html, css, javascript (I'm not really that hardcore). I often need to run dreamweaver, illustrator/photoshop, multiple web browsers (IE 5-6, firefox), usually run an antiVirus and firewall. My current laptop starts closing applications on me when I try to get any work done since I'm running 256MB. I am looking for minimum 15" screen - my current laptop has a 15" screen and that's barely big enough to work with. I like the laptop for portability, not that I carry it around much, but it does come in handy when I need it! For the most part I like to work from my laptop, but have access to a desktop when needed. My current laptop fits well in my backpack, though it's rather heavy. I'm not sure how portable the 17" screen laptops are? I'm trying to keep the budget to about 1,000$ or less. From some of the research I've done the Dell 9300 and Dell D610 sound reliable (though one is large and heavy, and the other has a 14" screen). I haven't heard much about the D810 so far. However, I don't know much about IBM thinkpads (recently bought by Lenovo), or Fujitsu Lifebook series. Do you all find them reliable as Dell (or better), has the thinkpad quality changed since Lenovo bought them? Does anyone have any recomm...

Web resources about - IBM R50 vs IBM R40 ? - comp.sys.laptops

IBM - United States
The IBM corporate home page, entry point to information about IBM products and services.

IBM and the Holocaust - Home Page
IBM and the Holocaust is the stunning story of IBM's strategic alliance with Nazi Germany beginning in 1933 in the first weeks that Hitler came ...

IBM: Generation C: The Connected Customer
Break down the silos that plague most marketing organizations. If you are organized by media type, paid (advertising) owned (web, email, stores) ...

Welcome to the IBM Composer Pavilion!
Joomla! - the dynamic portal engine and content management system Welcome to the only site on the Internet dedicated to the IBM "Selectric" Composer ...

SCO v. IBM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... March 6, 2003, the SCO Group (formerly known as Caldera International and Caldera Systems ) filed a $1 billion lawsuit in the US against IBM ...

IBM sues Groupon, saying it infringes patents related to 1990s Prodigy service
An IBM software engineer sketches out a pending patent. IBM has acquired more US patents than any other company for 23 years in a row. (Jared ...

What's happening at IBM?
This is a column I didn’t want to write. Like many of you I am tired of IBM stories and the company that was once an industry leader has become, ...

IBM lays off more workers and their severance has been cut to one month
IBM handed out another batch of pink slips to workers on Wednesday, in a round of layoffs that some employees described as "massive." The exact ...

IBM Watson Analytics Maps Social Media Conversations
... products like Gephi . However, these software packages are difficult to generate clean data, and aren’t the easiest to use. When IBM announced ...

IBM sues Groupon for infringing its patents, including from Prodigy online service
IBM has sued online deals marketplace Groupon for infringing four of its patents, including two that emerged from Prodigy, the online service ...