IBM Trackpoint Error, How to use Mouse Now?

Group,

Thinkpad 760xl gave me a trackpoint error.

I unplugged the keyboard connector and reseated to no avail.

Then plugged in a serial mouse, and the mouse works during tests, but
it will not work when I finally get the machine to boot using F1 on
reboot.

How do I get this mouse to work in the interim while awaiting a new
keyboard?

Can a thinkpad be use with no pointing device at all, like enabling the
cursor keys or something like that?

This may be a dumb question but I need the assistance of the group to
either get the mouse going or somehow use without a mouse at all.

Thanks
Tom

0
courir26 (1)

courir26@yahoo.com wrote:
>Then plugged in a serial mouse, and the mouse works during tests, but
>it will not work when I finally get the machine to boot using F1 on
>reboot.

What do you mean by 'tests'?  Check for a BIOS setting that enables
mouse instead of trackpoint.

0
William

Do Any Other Laptops Beside IBM Have a TrackPoint-Like Mouse?
Hello. I would like to buy a new laptop but have never had to use one where there's no track point. I have some issues with IBM's tech support but can't let that stand in the way of my going for another ThinkPad, if ThinkPads are the only laptops with a real mouse. (I do *not* understand why other manufacturers haven't come in to the twentieth century in this regard.) Anyway, I would like to try a Macbook, but their keyboard apparently not only doesn't have a mouse, it's actually controversial and looks pretty odd. Thanks in advance. mutefan@yahoo.com wrote: > support but can't let that stand in the way of my going for another > ThinkPad, if ThinkPads are the only laptops with a real mouse. (I do > *not* understand why other manufacturers haven't come in to the > twentieth century in this regard.) Unfortunately the trackpoint appears to be dying out in favor of the trackpad. I hate trackpads, and much prefer the trackpoint myself. Dell and Gateway have, or had, models that include a trackpoint as well as the pad. However you will be severely restricted in your choice of machine if you make this the primary criterion. > Anyway, I would like to try a Macbook, but their keyboard apparently > not only doesn't have a mouse, it's actually controversial and looks I bought my wife a Macbook. The keyboard does look weird - it reminds me very much of the first TRS-80 Color Computer - but it feels pretty good. Certa...

using integrated bluetooth radio in IBM laptop with microsoft mouse/keyboard
I bought the microsoft bluetooth mouse/keyboard combination to use with my IBM thinkpad T30 with built-in bluetooth. The receiver can't find the devices, though. I found several newsgroup threads talking about the laptop not supporting HID protocol, whatever that means. There is a bluetooth radio firmware upgrade available on IBM's website, but the notes don't mention anything about supporting HID and on top of that it requires one to uninstall the windows XP service pack 1 first! Anyone know how to get this to work? thanks! Aart-Jan ...

What to use for laptop laptopping?
My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of plywood I'm using now? Peabody wrote: > My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, > so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that > everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece > of plywood I'm using now? Something like this? http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ -- Notan Notan wrote: > Peabody wrote: >> My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, so >> I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that >> everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece of >> plywood I'm using now? > > Something like this? > > http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ Here's another: http://www.laptopdesk.net/laptopdesk2f.html -- Notan Notan wrote: > Notan wrote: >> Peabody wrote: >>> My new Toshiba L35 has vents at various places all over the bottom, >>> so I'm reluctant to just put it on my lap. Is there something that >>> everybody uses as a base that's a little more uptown than the piece >>> of plywood I'm using now? >> >> Something like this? >> >> http://www.xpad4laptop.com/ > >...

Best value used Laptop now
Hi, I need to replace my aging PII 366Mhz one B4 it dies. Any good suggestions? Storage capacity is more important than speed. Using W2K and Linux together on dual boot. Any good suggestions? TIA, Tony Dell has an outlet section of their web site, and IBM offers used ThinkPads with IBM warranty: Well worth a look, I think. Not quite sure of the implication of "shared RAM" in the lower end Dells is under Linux, so I'd just as soon avoid those particular models that have it. But in general, when I've hunted around for deals on notebooks, what I usually see are older models se...

how to use laptop keyboard, mouse and screen?
Hello: how to configure RPi to use laptop keyboard, mouse and screen instead of separate ones? thank you On 15/07/15 06:12, Maurice SAAB wrote: > Hello: > how to configure RPi to use laptop keyboard, mouse and screen instead of > separate ones? > > thank you Use SSH to connect to the Pi over the network from the Laptop. If the laptop is running Linux you can use ssh -Y to enable X forwarding and then start whichever apps you want. I believe "lxsession" starts a desktop, but I don't run a GUI on any of my Pi. There are Windows clients which su...

If you used to use Windows or now used Windows less because of FreeBSD why?
For a Graduation Project, I am comparing Open-Source software to Propetarity Software. So if you used to use Windows or now use Windows less, why do you use FreeBSD more now? Yes, I know I asked a question like this before, but forgot to ask this one. ;). I continue to use windows on the desktop because of certain apps and games that only run on windows. Making the switch to another platorm is not a priority. I am quite good with windows security and other platforms offer no functionality that windows lacks, in my instance. I recently began utilizing freebsd for some of my services, along with my windows server. I use mysql and postfix on freebsd. I have lately been experimenting with linux, but the lack of sata support is inhibiting progress. I am patiently awaiting the next release of debian, my favorite distro so far. As a libertarian, I am quite fond of open-source ideals. A few points on linux and freebsd: The freebsd packages collection, I feel, is lacking. I really think some improvements need to be addressed to accomodate users that prefer binary implementation. For example, smb client support is broken in the binary implementations of xfce4 and gnome2. Freebsd-update is a huge leap forward, as far as updates are concerned. The freebsd installer is far superior to any other I have ever used. I can install freebsd and apply binary security updates in less than ten minutes on a p2-300. Debian installation is a c...

When using "error" should the error message and error information be the same?
I wrote a Tcl package for a proprietary product which makes heavy usage of the "error" command. To this time when I return an error I use the command set errMsg "An Error Message" error $errMsg $errMsg I was wondering if maybe I was using the arguments incorrectly here or if in reality there is no real difference between the two other than when it is available to the user (along with the returned stack when using $errorInfo). Eddie Borjas wrote: > I wrote a Tcl package for a proprietary product which makes heavy > usage of the "error" command. To this time when I return an error I > use the command > > set errMsg "An Error Message" > error $errMsg $errMsg > > I was wondering if maybe I was using the arguments incorrectly here or > if in reality there is no real difference between the two other than > when it is available to the user (along with the returned stack when > using $errorInfo). First off, consider using the newer [return -error] construct instead of [error]. Now to answer your question, IMHO no they should not be the same. The return value should be a nice user level error message. The errorInfo part should also be human readable, but aimed at a programmer. Lastly, IMHO you should always be giving the errorCode value, which should be a list that is designed to be more "program" friendly. -- +------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | G...

HOWTO: Using a touchpad/trackpad =and= a mouse on a laptop
When I set up Red Hat Linux on my Sony Viao PCG-FX140 laptop... at first I was only able to use an external (Microsoft) USB mouse on the machine. That's because I didn't know how to specify the laptop's touchpad as an input-device in Red Hat. Also, I didn't know how to specify that =either= a USB mouse =or= the trackpad should work (simultaneously). To save =you= the trouble, here's how! In the directory "/etc/X11" there's an important file called "XF86Config." (Note that this filename, like all Unix/Linux filenames, is case-sensitive.) This file (see "man XF86Config") is composed of "sections." There are "inputdevice" sections for, well, input-devices, and other sections for your screen, keyboard, and so-on. Needless to say, make a backup =first.= :D You'll need to be "root," of course. (What, do you ask, is "X11?" It's a package called XWindows, which has nothing to do .. thankfully .. with =that= operating-system. It's the system that actually makes your computer work in graphic mode. It's what runs your display, or displays, and recognizes the input from whatever you have attached to your computer. It blows away everything "that other operating-system" ever thought of doing, but that should come as no surprise to Linux folks, eh?) :D First, I used "redhat-configure-mouse" to set up the trackpad, which...

laptop bag and laptop mouse
i'm looking for a decent uk supplier of a laptop bag, one that looks like a back pack. regular bags have "steal me!" written all over it. I'm also looking for an optical mouse, they are slightly smaller and some have retractable leads some are wireless some are bluetooth. advice please. -- Ian Lincoln Independent I.T Consultant Deathwalker <ian-lincoln@blueyonder.co.ukspam> wrote: > i'm looking for a decent uk supplier of a laptop bag, one that looks like a > back pack. regular bags have "steal me!" written all over it. I'm also > l...

Why do I get error message: "Error using ==> maple" when using symbolic toolbox for a dsolve
I am trying to solve a rate equation as the following: S=dsolve('Dx1=-kp*x1','Dx2=kp*x1-(kn+kd)*x2','Dx3=kn*x2-k1*x3*x4+k2*x5 ^2','Dx4=kd*x2-k1*x3*x4','Dx5=k1*x3*x4-k2*x5^2','Dx6=k2*x5^2','x1(0)=N 0','x2(0)=0','x3(0)=0','x4(0)=0','x5(0)=0','x(6)=0') and get this error messgae ??? Error using ==> maple at offset 19, `:` unexpected Error in ==> dsolve at 356 maple(['DList := ' R]); Could someone help me figure out the problem? Many thanks C. ...

Touchpad Can Be Used As Left Mouse Button On Laptop
I write this message for anyone with the same problem/curiosity as myself. Occasionally when surfing the web with my Dell 700m laptop the links would automatically be "clicked" even though I never actually used the left mouse button on the keypad. I always wondered why my computer did this. Turns out when you "tap" the touchpad once, it is the same as pressing the left mouse button. When you "tap" the touchpad twice, it is the same as double clicking the left mouse button. This feature can come in very handy when you are at the library and do not want to make any noise (like me). I have also noticed it is more efficient to simply move the mouse cursor to the place you want it, and tapping the touchpad to reposition the cursor. Steven stevenqrdh@gmail.com wrote: >Turns out when you "tap" the touchpad once, it is the same as pressing >the left mouse button. Many other touchpad functions (click and drag, scroll bars, etc) can be enabled with the right drivers and configuration. ...

Newer IBM MOUSE.SYS has problems with serial mice
While installing eCS 1.2 just yesterday (21 Feb), I found an odd problem with my serial mouse. Basically, everything worked fine except the buttons. These were ignored when using the Desktop or a subsidiary window. Opening a full screen VDOS, Win-3.1 or OS/2 window cured the bug. Mensys in *.nl agreed this was weird but said they'd heard of it before: IBM made a cods-up of the newer MOUSE.SYS and broke the support for serial mice; it seems too many people have gone over to PS/2 mice and their testing has gone lame. (IBM keep control of the source code, one learns, so only an idiot cou...

Who SELLING new IBM 7200rpm LAPTOP drives NOW ???
hi all, where can i find a seller of those new 7200rpm laptop drives. pls advice, thx -V >where can i find a seller of those new 7200rpm laptop drives. Vince, click the down-arrow to the right of the box in the middle of this site: http://tinyurl.com/fuik John http://www.thinkpads.com/start.htm#Model I believe you can only buy them with the purchase of a new laptop (IBM and Dell, are the only ones I know of now) according to this article: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1094173,00.asp The original press release at hitachi also says something to that effect. -G &q...

Using laptop to login to machines with no keyboard/mouse/video
Is there a product available that will allow me to use my laptop to cold boot a pc that doesn't have a keyboard, mouse, or monitor hooked up to it? Most of our clients have servers that are remotely administerable via Telnet, SSH, WinVNC, Remote Desktop, or some other software application. This is great for a healthy system, but doesn't work for cold booting, or doing low-level stuff outside the GUI or traditional CLI. I need to know if there's a device that will allow me to view a window on my laptop and see the pc booting and use my keyboard and mouse to control the remote during this boot process. If you've ever seen VMWare or Virtual PC, this is the sort of interface I'm talking about, but using external hardware to use my laptop to control another physical device. Please let me know if you've seen or heard of a product that does this. Currently I'm transporting a 15" lcd and a keyboard with a built-in trackball from site to site and it would be MUCH easier to just use my laptop and a few cables. Thanks, Jeff trentjd@gmail.com wrote: > Is there a product available that will allow me to use my laptop to > cold boot a pc that doesn't have a keyboard, mouse, or monitor hooked > up to it? Most of our clients have servers that are remotely > administerable via Telnet, SSH, WinVNC, Remote Desktop, or some other > software application. This is great for a healthy system, but doesn't > work for cold booting, o...

[News] Smackbook Clone for IBM Laptops Uses XGL
Slap Laptop to Switch Workspace. Video in page: http://www.ossblog.it/post/1084/gtorilla-ovvero-prendi-a-schiaffi-il-pc-ed-usa-glx Slapping a laptop needn't be the result of data loss or system crashes. This can actually become productive using gtorilla, which is FOSS. ...

Error using Fast Path DB2 course from IBM
I downloaded the fast path to db2 course. I am unable to run it as it comes back with the error "There is no audio device available for Hotmedia audio player. This is a result of another media player controlling the audio device. Depending on your configuration, you have to stop all media players, close all browser instances, and try again, or you may have to reboot your machine" I have tried all the approaches that they have outlined and am still getting the error. I went ahead and stopped all the java based apps on machine too but with same result. Has anyone com...

Keyboard map for IBM laptop to use Client Access
Is there a standard keyboard map file which can be used with the IBM laptop I use occasionally to connect a green screen session to the iSeries? The keyboard mappings for the extended keyboard ("US Enhanced") do not work as expected - for example, the End key does not take the cursor to the end of the line of text even though I have mapped the End key to [End of Line]. Is a laptop keyboard mapping file available?? Sriram Hi Sriram, Customize your keyboad mapping for the End Key. You will see an keyboard icon in your client access tool bar. This will display the default IBM AS4...

Touchpad Can Be Used As Left Mouse Button On Laptop #2
I write this message for anyone with the same problem/curiosity as myself. Occasionally when surfing the web with my Dell 700m laptop the links would automatically be "clicked" even though I never actually used the left mouse button on the keypad. I always wondered why my computer did this. Turns out when you "tap" the touchpad once, it is the same as pressing the left mouse button. When you "tap" the touchpad twice, it is the same as double clicking the left mouse button. This feature can come in very handy when you are at the library and do not want to make any noise (like me). I have also noticed it is more efficient to simply move the mouse cursor to the place you want it, and tapping the touchpad to reposition the cursor. Steven You might want to read the help files under Control Panel->Mouse->Alps (or whoever makes your touch pad) -- this feature has been around for years, as have others, such as the now common approach of using a slide of the right edge of the touchpad to act like a mouse wheel. Joel Kolstad wrote:> You might want to read the help files under Control Panel->Mouse->Alps (or > whoever makes your touch pad) -- this feature has been around for years, as > have others, such as the now common approach of using a slide of the right > edge of the touchpad to act like a mouse wheel. If you have a Dell 700m like me, then the right edge of the touchpad can be used as a mouse wheel. And! The bottom ...

Simply gcc compilation error using sys/dir.h
compiling this using gcc -o xxx xxx.c I obtain this error message in function Main 6 storage size of 'ff' isn't known Can any help me ? #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/dir.h> int main (int argc, char* argv[]) { struct ffblk ff; int rc; rc = findfirst ("*.*", &ff, ~0); while (rc) { printf ("%s\n", ff.fa_name); rc = findnext (&ff); } return 0; } > compiling this using > gcc -o xxx xxx.c > > I obtain this error message in function Main > 6 storage size of 'ff'...

When using PenMount dvr, closing app END NOW error
When using FTP-1015 and Advantech PenMount software driver, in closing the app, I get an "END NOW" window and must press a key to exit windows. During Real time operation the operator may not be around to touch the screen and clear the error. Windows shows a tim out count down but does not shut down with the END NOW screen up. &nbsp; Thanks for the response, I have already shut down all of LabVIEW 8.2 and am restarting Windows XP Pro. The app that is not shutting down is the Penmount app that comes with the FTP-1510 Monitor from NI. The app does not shut down, even when Windows...

IBM Thinkpad Laptop Removed CMOS Battery | Now Black Screen
I've been working on an IBM Thinkpad R40 Laptop for a few days now. A client brought it in because he always received the message "No Operating System Found." I tried the hard drive in another IBM laptop and in multiple desktops as slave, master, and stand-alone and finally had to mark the hdd as completely dead. A slight movement of the hdd would result in a rattling sound. I purchased a new hdd and put it in the laptop and found that the cdrom drive was also defective... I could not boot from the cdrom drive to install Windows. So I put the hdd in another Thinkpad since they had similar hardware and installed Windows. Then I swapped the hdd back to the R40 and booted Windows and installed updates. I found that even when inside Windows that Explorer did not recognize the cdrom drive. I swapped the drive with a known good one and the same result. After working on the laptop for a few hours, I found that at times Windows would recognize the cdrom drive, but that the drive would disappear from Explorer when trying to access a file on the drive. So I came to the conclusion that the drive was fine, but it may have been a motherboard problem. I noticed that BIOS did not recognize the drive either and unfortunately there is no Auto Detect option for drives in the IBM BIOS. Another note is that at times it would take 5 minutes to get into BIOS after pressing F1 and sometimes it would hang for a few minutes at the POST screen (but after POST) until it booted...

Compiler error occurred when try to use a flexible template expression in preprocessor definesCompiler error occurred when try to use a flexible template expression in preprocessor defines
Compiler error occurred when try to use a flexible template expression in preprocessor defines When I try to compile the following codes piece under Visual C++ .net 2003, I get an error "Fatal Error C1017" typedef ::Loki::Typelist<int,::Loki::NullType> TList; #if ::Loki::TL::Length<TList>::value int x; #endif Fatal Error C1017: invalid integer constant expression The expression in an #if directive did not exist or did not evaluate to a constant. ::Loki::TL::Length<TList> is a struct some like this: struct Length{ enum { value=0}; // Indeed,the value should be the length of this Typelist(TList) } emmm. try to the following one instead: enum {value=::Loki::TL::Length<TList>::value}; #if value int x; #endif Ok! No error, no warning. However, as you see, that's badly! I do not need this extra enum value. So, Help me, please! Where is the syntax error in the former case? Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Sorry, I typed the title twice when I copy it from word to here. Sorry. :-( snnn wrote: > Compiler error occurred when try to use a flexible template expression > in preprocessor defines > > When I try to compile the following codes piece under Visual C++ .net > 2003, I get an error "Fatal Error C1017" > > typedef ::Loki::Typelist<int,::Loki::NullType> TList; > #if ::Loki::TL::Length<TList>::value This is a preprocessor directive in which you are trying to use a construct only underst...

Web page
Folks We get the following error ( in the webserver error log s) when trying to invoke a perl script from the webpage ( using IBM HTTP server ): 'http://system.mt.att.com:5000/cgi-bin/login.pl' Can't load '/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/sun4-solaris/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so' for module DBD::Oracle: ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/perl: fatal: libwtc9.so: open failed: No such file or directory at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm line 200. at PM/Query.pm line 6 Compilation failed in require at PM/Query.pm line 6. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at P...

[Newbie question] Create database error using IBM .NET data provider
Hi, i'm very newbie in db2 databases... i have to create a database via c# code on windows machine... if i create database via control center command editor "create database mydatabase" it's work fine! the problem is create it throught c# code... first: the connection string? i have to connect to a "master" database that allow me to create other databases? (like sql server) my test was connected to SAMPLE database: using IBM.Data.DB2; DB2Connection conn = new DB2Connection(); conn.Connection = "Server=MachineName;Database=SAMPLE;UID=SystemAccount;PWD=Password"; conn.Connect(); DB2Command cmd = new DB2Command("create database mydatabase",conn); cmd.ExecuteNonQuery(); the error of cmd.ExecuteNonQuery() is (translated from italian): ERROR [42601] [IBM][DB2/NT] SQL0104N found unexpected token "database" after "create". expected tokes can be "TABLESPACE". SQLSTATE=42601 it's sound like syntax error... but same sintax in control center command editor work fine! Anyone can help me? Thanks Gambero wrote: > DB2Connection conn = new DB2Connection(); > conn.Connection = > "Server=MachineName;Database=SAMPLE;UID=SystemAccount;PWD=Password"; > conn.Connect(); > DB2Command cmd = new DB2Command("create database mydatabase",conn); > cmd.ExecuteNonQuery(); > > the error of cmd.ExecuteNonQuery() is (translated ...

Web resources about - IBM Trackpoint Error, How to use Mouse Now? - comp.sys.laptops

New ThinkPads Add TrackPoint Buttons, Broadwell CPUs
... refreshes of all its major ThinkPads, which will carry Intel's brand new 5th Generation Core series CPUs and bring back the dedicated TrackPoint ...

Companies - CrunchBase
Company profiles

ThinkPad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The ThinkPad line of laptop computers and tablets was originally designed, developed and sold by IBM but is now produced by Lenovo . ThinkPads ...

Save up to 30% on Lenovo ThinkPad X Series and T Series Laptops discount coupon deals from Lenovo - PowerBuy ...
Get up to 30% discount coupon deals when you purchase a Lenovo ThinkPad X Series and T Series Laptops from Lenovo. For Australian small businesses. ...

Free Geek Vancouver Volunteer Blog
Happy new year (about 6 weeks late)! After an extended break from Free Geek for the holidays and a jaunt down to South America, it's great to ...

Ballmer (and Microsoft) still doesn't get the iPad
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer answered questions on Thursday about the company's …

Lenovo equips ThinkPad X1 Carbon ultrabook with touchscreen for Windows 8
... the input method shifted as the device was put into its different modes. With this generation of touch-enabled ultrabooks, however, the TrackPoint ...

ThinkPad X1 full specs leaked?
Lenovo’s new ultra thin notebook ThinkPad X1 has drawn huge attention from the world, but there’s pretty little information about its specs, ...

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon
The revamped Lenovo X1 ultrabook is painfully expensive, but if you're willing to make a sizable investment, it's the ultrathin 14-incher to ...

CrunchGear's Ultimate Guide to Netbooks
Biggs is the East Cost Editor of TechCrunch.Biggs has written for the New York Times, InSync, USA Weekend, Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, ...